New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default What is Durkula's endgame?

We don't know what the Godsmoot is really about yet, or what Durkula's plan is, but at some point the moot is going to be over. What does Durkula do then?

I don't see many options that end with Durkula still being HPoH easily. If he gets rezzed then Durkon comes back. If he doesn't get rezzed and is hostile to the OotS, they'll probably kill him (being as the Order can't die, because plot). Can he not get rezzed and still be on good terms with the Order?

I suppose Durkula could cast some spell and just vanish, but that seems pretty weak, especially since that would mean he could have done that at the start and wouldn't need the whole charade of leading Roy around to "discover" the location of the Godsmoot in the first place.

Maybe Hel's plans are finished at the Godsmoot and she won't need Durkula afterwards, but that also strikes me as weak. She should have some plan in place to keep everything together going forward, even if those plans are foiled.
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What is Durkula's endgame?

Considering Durkula has been planned for 990 strips so far, it's safe to say he isn't going anywhere soon. I'd bet either

A) he leaves and becomes a recurring villain the Order needs to chase down before the next gate, or

B) he somehow convinced the Order to allow him to go with them as is

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Considering Durkula has been planned for 990 strips so far, it's safe to say he isn't going anywhere soon. I'd bet either

A) he leaves and becomes a recurring villain the Order needs to chase down before the next gate, or

Of the two, B) sounds more interesting. I'm looking forward to see how Rich will have this go down, since as you say, he's been planning it for a loooong time.

There's enough room left for Durkula to be the 'villian of the book', but I'd really like to see Team Evil get back up on the stage. I miss Redcloak and the MitD. This is probably the more likely candidate though...

Can't say I've got any good ideas as to how this will go down either way. Surprised I haven't seen more speculation on this point (or maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mouser9169 View Post
    I suppose Durkula could cast some spell and just vanish, but that seems pretty weak, especially since that would mean he could have done that at the start and wouldn't need the whole charade of leading Roy around to "discover" the location of the Godsmoot in the first place.
    HPoH: NO! I don't want to talk to the actual pilgrims, I just want to follow the pilgrimage! In a very fast ship!!
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post

I would guess B. Hel stated that she has a desire to bring ruin to the world and drive Thor to his knees. I cannot see the HPoH pulling that off at the Moot alone.

However, Belkar is going to do his best to expose the HPoH here. If he manages to do that, we could see an attempt at A.
    FTDWIR

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Of the two, B) sounds more interesting. I'm looking forward to see how Rich will have this go down, since as you say, he's been planning it for a loooong time.

There's enough room left for Durkula to be the 'villian of the book', but I'd really like to see Team Evil get back up on the stage. I miss Redcloak and the MitD. This is probably the more likely candidate though...
    There's Hel, there are Xykon and RC (with two different agendas), there are the fiends....

I bet we'll see also some clash between the various villains.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well since being in a place full of high level clerics is the most unsafe place for a vampire too be, I would imagine that the HPOH current agenda is purely political. Hel is trying to gain either prestige or information. Or perhaps Hel has some sort of power over the other gods, and this will be her method of communicating it. Purhaps just being a member of this pilgrimage provides priests with extra power, that she needs her high priest to have.

However it works Durkula will find some way to stay with the party after this. I don't know what excuse he can give about resurrection now though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Question, how much sway does Hel , as Goddess of Death , have over Xykon , an undead creature operating in the Northern territories ??
    I ask because my theory about why HPoH is at the moot hinges on this.
    Basically, HPoH will state Hel's demands, if the moot accepts them she will shut Xykon down , refuse and she will either aid him or take the gates for herself. Either way , everyone is screwed.

I know it's a stretch. Based on current Class level estimates, Durkula doesn't stand a chance of exerting any influence over Xykon. So it would take some form of divine intervention .

9. - Top - End - #9

ElfWarriorGuy

Can't say I've got any good ideas as to how this will go down either way. Surprised I haven't seen more speculation on this point (or maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places).
    Yeah, there are kinda two answers to this. The first is the one you've given here, which is kinda the story-meta answer, in the sense of: when this particular story arc is over, given that the OotS will almost certainly survive (in some fashion) whatever happens at the Godsmoot, what will Durkula's role be?

The second, which you kinda address at the end, is interesting in that, if nothing else, its the next part of the story and the end of the story-arc we're currently on. I find it interesting because I have no idea what the Giant has in store. From Hel's perspective, I suspect she doesn't especially care what happens to Durkula after this. As far as she's concerned, *this* is the endgame, and everything after is irrelevant. We don't know what she's got planned, but, some bumps aside, everything as unfolded exactly as she hoped it would and all we can do now is watch the OotS react to whatever carnage (physical, magical, or perhaps metaphysical. Perhaps this really is all a purely political plot and Durkula won't actually do anything that jeopardizes his spot in the Order, other than somehow avoiding getting Resurrected.) unfolds.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    The second, which you kinda address at the end, is interesting in that, if nothing else, its the next part of the story and the end of the story-arc we're currently on. I find it interesting because I have no idea what the Giant has in store. From Hel's perspective, I suspect she doesn't especially care what happens to Durkula after this. As far as she's concerned, *this* is the endgame, and everything after is irrelevant.
    I've thought about that, but I don't really see it. If Hel doesn't care about what happens after (at least, relatively), then there isn't much standing in the way of Durkon's resurrection. But consider how long Hel's been trying to have a bona fide high priest. Durkula is high enough level to be above 'boss of the week' adventurer chow. I don't see Hel just letting that go.

Somehow, they (Hel and Durkula) have come up with a plan that involves Durkula surviving the end of the Godsmoot. We've had plenty of clues throughout the comic referencing villains vs. villains, so Durkula joining the party against Xykon isn't out of the question. That would also be the ultimate 'rub' against Belkar - he exposes Durkula, but the party has to let him stay anyway: "Aye lads, ye've caught me. But before you stick the stake in, consider this..."

We also have those somewhat cryptic conversations in campground where Durkon has seen 'something' that he can look forward to, possibly giving him some sort of edge or tactic he can use against Durkula.

All this of course plays against the backdrop that we still don't know what this year's Godsmoot is actually about or what Hel's plans are (other than in a very abstract sense).

This is a really cool webcomic moment: We know exciting things are about to go down, but we have no solid idea what they will be.

11. - Top - End - #11

ElfWarriorGuy

Well, whatever else happens, I think its safe to say Hel's plans, however they may be presented, are not ultimately going to turn out to be purely diplomatic. Durkula made sure not to use any high level spells, suggesting he expects to need them later.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Here is the first thought as to what Durkula/Hel have planned after I read strip 995.

Part 1: Turn all the high priests at the Godsmoot into vampires/Other priests of Hel

Part 2: Use them and their knowledge to corrupt all the other religions from the top down, converting them to the worship of Hel.

Part 3: Have cake/Eat it too.

I mean that's would be what I would do in their position.

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Miketheweird View Post
    Here is the first thought as to what Durkula/Hel have planned after I read strip 995.

Part 1: Turn all the high priests at the Godsmoot into vampires/Other priests of Hel
    But didn't the helpriest not also care about the godsmoot rules protection in the same strip? The other priests will have this protection and the doings of his spawn(s) will be his will, or if he sets them free, the will of Hel I imagine. Not to mention their deities will certainly object.

I think D is about to bring D&D to the dwarwen lands, and the gm is a part of that.

Btw. I'm curious about the previous suggestion, does Hel have any influence over intelligent undeads when they're in the Northern lands? As is, I'd imagine she wouldn't have, like she wouldn't have any authority over Nergal's servant Malack under the same circumstances, or a non-diety following character in general.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Wild speculation time, mostly just for fun:

Create a small army of vampires with the Creed of Stone. Have them stow away on the Mechane in bat form. Take over the airship and fly the Bearded Dead to the Gate to seize it for the greater glory of Hel and the confusion of Thor.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

15. - Top - End - #15

ElfWarriorGuy

Part 2: Use them and their knowledge to corrupt all the other religions from the top down, converting them to the worship of Hel.

Part 3: Have cake/Eat it too.

I mean that's would be what I would do in their position.
    Eh, the problem is that that's quite the power grab attempt on Hel's part. Sufficiently so that the other Northern Gods might well gang up and *personally* pummel her into submission. Sure, she'd suddenly become a powerhouse on the mortal plane which would weaken the other gods to some degree over time. But I could well see Thor, Odin, Freya and whoever else makes up the pantheon saying "Yeah... No. We're not ok with this to a degree we're willing to gang up and thump you." *pummel pummel pummel*

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Problem is any fighting between the gods weakens the standing peace treaty and risks damaging the world or creating Snarl 2.0. Regardless, Hel now has two big bad priests. It occurs to me that Belkar also lacks the protections other clerics could claim. At least from Durkon.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, wait, wait...

AFTER you read "I'm only going to kill you because you're not a high priest", your first thought was "He's going to kill all the high priests"?

That's odd. My first thought after reading this comic was "oh, so he's not going to kill any of the high priests.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-07-31 at 01:39 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    I think D is about to bring D&D to the dwarwen lands, and the gm is a part of that.
    Just to be sure, in this context "D&D" means "Death and Destruction" and "GM" means "Godsmoot", right?

I assume the first "D" means "Durkon as a Vampire" as well.

19. - Top - End - #19

BarbarianGuy

I think the HPoH will make more vampires from the brothers and sisters of the creed. They are highish level clerics, they are not underthe protection of the godsmoot. The HPoH is now under the protection of the godsmoot. So he can kill all of the creedlings he wants and the other high priests can't touch him. Once the godsmoot is over Hel has a bunch of new priests, and a nice new fotress that can become a temple that is a pain to attack,

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

There's enough room left for Lurky Corpsewhiskers to be the 'villian of the book', but I'd really like to see Team Evil get back up on the stage. I miss Redcloak and the MitD.
    I can't wait for the camera to suddenly pan to the final gate, where Redcloak et al definitely do NOT have the situation under control by themselves (all the more chaotic for Lurky Corpsewhiskers to swoop in with a plan)

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

tongue Re: What is Durkula's endgame?

Quote Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
    Just to be sure, in this context "D&D" means "Death and Destruction" and "GM" means "Godsmoot", right?

I assume the first "D" means "Durkon as a Vampire" as well.
    D&D is a board game. Here's a homepage about it. It's really good, check it out.

The gm is the game master. He's the equivalent of the computer when playing video games. He basically runs the world.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balain View Post
    I think the HPoH will make more vampires from the brothers and sisters of the creed. They are highish level clerics, they are not underthe protection of the godsmoot. The HPoH is now under the protection of the godsmoot. So he can kill all of the creedlings he wants and the other high priests can't touch him. Once the godsmoot is over Hel has a bunch of new priests, and a nice new fotress that can become a temple that is a pain to attack,
    Even assuming the collective other clerics would suffer from a case of mass lawful stupidity, that still means that they'll be able to protect or evacuate everyone without diplomatic immunity, and, failing that, kill the newly created vampire thralls.

Still an interesting and viable plan - a readymade base of operations, but he'll need to act fast *and* stealthy to pull it off.
    And once again, Probability proves itself willing to sneak into a back alley and service Drama as would a copper-piece harlot.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    D&D is a board game. Here's a homepage about it. It's really good, check it out.

The gm is the game master. He's the equivalent of the computer when playing video games. He basically runs the world.
    Now that would be an unexpected turn of the plot. :)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist_Fire View Post
    I can't wait for the camera to suddenly pan to the final gate, where Redcloak et al definitely do NOT have the situation under control by themselves (all the more chaotic for Lurky Corpsewhiskers to swoop in with a plan)
    I really want to see Team Evil again, regardless of the circumstances. It's been nearly two years and I want to see MitD again.

Peelee’s Lotsey

25. - Top - End - #25

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silverionmox View Post
    Even assuming the collective other clerics would suffer from a case of mass lawful stupidity, that still means that they'll be able to protect or evacuate everyone without diplomatic immunity, and, failing that, kill the newly created vampire thralls.

Still an interesting and viable plan - a readymade base of operations, but he'll need to act fast *and* stealthy to pull it off.
    Wouldn't the newly created thralls, which then become Hel's clerics when released, be under the protection of Godsmoot rules? Technically, they're all the high priests of Hel, since there aren't any other priests.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Wouldn't the newly created thralls, which then become Hel's clerics when released, be under the protection of Godsmoot rules? Technically, they're all the high priests of Hel, since there aren't any other priests.
    Except high priest is a singular title in OOTS.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Is it possible that his endgame plan is simply to be destroyed by the priests at the godsmoot? That is, by being killed he causes the other priests to break the rules of the godsmoot to provide Hel with bargaining power? That it is not durkon's physical return that will spell disaster, but rather his resurrection (after durkula's destruction) that will bring about the fulfillment of the prophecy? (My two cents)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ziratha View Post
    Is it possible that his endgame plan is simply to be destroyed by the priests at the godsmoot? That is, by being killed he causes the other priests to break the rules of the godsmoot to provide Hel with bargaining power? That it is not durkon's physical return that will spell disaster, but rather his resurrection (after durkula's destruction) that will bring about the fulfillment of the prophecy? (My two cents)
    Going out in a blaze of glory would be interesting. HPoH certainly doesn't fear death, and that would open the door for Durkon's return, although the OotS may have to beat feet out the door depending on how things go down.

As for Durkula 'taking over' the Godsmoot... Even with some vamps on his side I don't see it happening. Remember Wrecan's aside to Belkar "They'd dust him on the spot".

The Stone Temple Pilots may be out of high level spells, but I'll bet the high priests are still fully charged.

29. - Top - End - #29

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Balain View Post
    One of the drawbacks to this plan is that the only one there who knows Durkula is a representative at the Godsmoot and therefore under the protection of the rules is Gontor. He's just been killed and presumably will be vamped. Durk hasn't been introduced to the moot, so he doesn't have credentials yet. Any of the other High Priests who encounter him will just assume he's a random vampire, and as Wrecan put it, dust him on the spot. That is, unless the rules are magical in some fashion, in which case he would probably be protected as soon as the doorkeeper accepted him. But we didn't see any kind of magical dweomer at the time, so it's unlikely those rules are magically enforced.

So barring that possibility, I can't see a vamped Gontor introducing another vampire as a representative and getting away with it. They'll both be dusted. If Durkula had plans on being accepted as a representative, he's just made a strategic blunder.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Durkula could defend himself from attack by announcing he's Hel's high priest. Talking is a free action.

Also, the answer to your random thought is "no, obviously,"
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar