New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

Spoiler: V4E1
    Show

OK, time to finally view this thing! please still be good.

I'm being reminded of the Hollows in Hueco Mundo, but then again I've bean reading watching an abridged series of Bleach that is really good and reading up on Bleach through a wiki, out of some weird sudden interest, so......probably biased there.

Huh, well Silver and green-haired girl seem be having doubts about this. looks like its getting too evil for their level of villainy.

ok this guy ain't a suave crime boss to replace Torchwick at all, he is just your crazy laughing psychopath character who is creepy and murderous.

oh this is the usage of malignance. *roll eyes* its the old woman who looks like Maleficent, I think we give her a pass.

the guy's name is Tyrion? .......guys, don't steal names from far better characters for this laughing creep.

as or this farmer boy potential girl......maybe its less that he is THE spring maiden but that he is GOING to be the Spring Maiden. I bet that Maiden's powers once they choose her, it'll make her body into a girl.

Jaune is regretting his decision not to bring his weapons, but has his plans as usual...

Jaune get new armor and such.

and of course, your prepared for everything but the map....

hm.. hm... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......

I dunno what to think yet, but Tyrion isn't giving me any confidence.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler: V4E1
    Show

the guy's name is Tyrion? .......guys, don't steal names from far better characters for this laughing creep.
    Pointing out how to spell a character's name based off RWBY lore
    Spoiler: Vol 4 Episode 1
    Show

His name is Tyrian not Tyrion, Tyrian as in the color purple. Tyrian is also known as the color imperial purple, for Tyrian is the color used by the romans and phoenicians and was produce by sea snails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple

Remember the rule that names of characters are supposed to be connected somehow to color even though this rule is silly.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #393
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Pointing out how to spell a character's name based off RWBY lore
    Spoiler: Vol 4 Episode 1
    Show

His name is Tyrian not Tyrion, Tyrian as in the color purple. Tyrian is also known as the color imperial purple, for Tyrian is the color used by the romans and phoenicians and was produce by sea snails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_purple

Remember the rule that names of characters are supposed to be connected somehow to color even though this rule is silly.
    Spoiler: V4C1
    Show
    Yeah I didn't know about this colour and I genuinely did not care, but thanks this is cool information!

Hmm, purple is a royal colour, especially specifically tyrian. But there's no way they would make the dude who looks like Greed into a Prince of some sort, would they? That'd make things WAY to obvious that he's just a rip off.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

People need to hurry up and watch the next episode , make time faster, surely one of you have time dilation glyphs

Spoiler: Vol 4, Episode 2
    Show
    In my headcanon until it is shown other wise Weiss's (younger?) brother Whitley is gay, and has recently found his first boyfriend and has grown in personality since then.

He may be a brat, he may be spoiled in my head canon, but he is becoming a better person ... some of the time due to discovering more of himself, and in my head canon he is treating his sisters better and more respectfully and more empathetically.

But so far this is just stuff in my head, possibly caused by Emerald using her semblance to cause me to hallucinate
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2016-10-29 at 06:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: v4e2 thoughts
    Show
    1. Waaaaaalking montage. Is Weiss taking a circuitous route, by any chance? Because there's very little continuity between scenes, EXCEPT: the regularity of the scene changes in the montage is really distracting. "STEP step step step CHANGE step step step CHANGE step step step" and so on.

2. Who's that portrait next to the piano? *waits five seconds* Oh, that's who it is. "Whitlean"? He's playing it close to the chest, apart from a tiny bit of younger-brother resentment near the end. Hopefully he's not lean on wits, har har.

3. How am I supposed to react to Weiss saying he's different when this is literally the first I've seen of him? Weiss seems glad to have an ally at home, though.

4. Weiss exits the scene with Whitlean in the direction she entered from. Why? Was she informed to meet Jacques somewhere other than his study (no destination was stated last episode)? Is it just bad scene blocking? Grr.

5. We linger for a while on this family portrait. I guess Winter's clothing and position aligns her with their mother, and Weiss' with their father. But mom's out drinking in the garden, which seems un-Winterish. And Weiss isn't going to be aligned with dear old dad for long. For that matter, judging by season 2, she already isn't.

6. Nightmare again. This time it's stuff Ruby's never heard. Is there a character whose semblance imparts significant dreams?

7. When in doubt, fill time by mocking Jaune. (Also, Nora looks drunk.) Ruby's going to get over this at some point, right?

8. Whoops, Shione be trashed. They didn't see the smoke earlier? The sky also changed color in about 15 seconds. (You can see it changing while Jaune's talking about hair.)

9. Yeah, just drop the map. Also, drop the backpack.

10. *Sidequest activated: Defeat bandit tribe*

11. That guy's dying moments were literally everyone in RNJR turning away from him.

12. Ren's backstory includes towns like this, calling it now. (EDIT: Oh, right, we got heavier hints at Ren/Nora's backstories in a cheap laugh moment last season. So much for calling it.)

13. Is that a...hoofprint?

14. Jacques...will you please just hear him out so we don't have to wait another episode to find out where he's going with this? No? Oh, well.

15. Wow, that water didn't budge from the glass when Jacques slammed it down.

16. Oh, so that guy from the opening was just Ironwood with five-o'-clock shadow in a dictator outfit, not a new character.

17. Jacques is a sneering and contemptuous plutocrat. Got it.

18. "Can you believe there are still people who blame Atlas for what happened to Vale?" Well, since Atlas undermined the Vytal Tournament with a probably-ineligible robot competitor, and then Atlas' robot army was turned against Vale, yes, somehow I can believe that.

19. On the other hand, he has a point about Dust export, even if a self-serving one; imposing preemptive trade sanctions on other nations that target vital resources is a provocation, not a precaution.

20. I'm pretty okay with the way this family conflict is being presented. Charity fundraising is perfectly reasonable, and Weiss has more reason than most to participate in it, but of course Jacques makes it about him and his control over Weiss, because the man has no people skills or parenting skills whatsoever. This'll escalate soon enough.

21. Klein, you're silly...wait, eyes what? Are you a robot, or is your semblance the ability to be a butler in many different cultures? (Including hell, going by that first one.)

22. Oh, so Ruby's nightmares are a silver eyes thing. Probably. It depends on how meaningful the closeup was supposed to be. Fine, you have my attention.

23. Also, Jaune has Pyrrha's hot new Insanity workout video. (Okay, okay, snark aside, that was another good 'missing Pyrrha' moment. Also, is the sparkling something to do with Jaune's aura?)

All RW so far. No obligatory fight scene. No clear direction for RNJR. Now they know they have to hoof it for a while, but neither we nor they know the urgency or perils associated with that fact. Weiss is at least sort of stakes-adjacent, though it's not clear what they are or what she can do about them. Bumblebee pls.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-31 at 12:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Have not read everything in this thread yet, but there's a few things that need to be mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Really? I thought we had to wait a week.
    If you register on Rooster Teeth's website (free), you only have to wait a day.

Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    The Hairy Modfather: All spoilers in this thread must be labelled. If the spoiler relates to a particular chapter (or earlier volume only), the spoiler must be labelled with the chapter and volume number (or earlier volume number). If you are using spoiler boxes to embed images or large text and not hide a spoiler, then the spoiler box must still be labelled, but you should then state why you used it and that it is not actually a spoiler.

In addition, all conversation is deemed to be a spoiler for one whole week after the free membership release (a week and a day after the paid membership release) on Rooster Teeth's website. Beyond that you may spoiler at your discretion (but please be considerate of others, especially for major plot elements).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: V4E2
    Show
    I continue to be impressed by the graphical upgrade. Talented as Oum was (and he absolutely was), his reliance on Poser seems like it was a liability on this project. Or maybe the artists have just gotten better with practice. Either way, it flows well and looks good and, while certainly not perfect, I find the improvement immense.

Whitly... Whitlee, Witli... Witty looks like a resentful spoiled little brother who has spent the better part of a year as daddy's only child. Yeah, I'd be happy to have a sister back in the house, too.

Jacques is Jaucquesass. Instead of appealing to his daughter's better nature (and we know she has one, buried under the frost), he recruits her via power-play. She would have likely volunteered if the offer had been made in the right way, but no, demonstrating his power over her comes first. He may not be evil, but he's certainly not likable.

That power sign footprint means something specific to Ren and Nora. We know the two had their homes taken from them already (to the point they feel Nora at least feels she has nothing to return to), could this be the footprint of the same grade of Grimm that destroyed their lives? Would be nice to get a little more intel on the two, since the only real information we've gotten this far is Nora's meltdown before their first fight in the tournament.

What looked like a dream may have simply been Ruby's mind reacting to Jaune's training video. I could believe that, though I still don't know what to think about Pyrrha's voice actress still being on the project. Is her character in RvB still active? It does set up the possibility that some nonsense will bring our favorite redhead back from the dead. I will be infinitely impressed if such a resurrection doesn't come off as absurdly weak, however.

That said, they're keeping her alive in our minds. The video and Jaune's training really brought home the pain and lost potential, I think, and the suggestion that Jaune keeps up with the others despite spending his sleep time training is frankly noteworthy. I noticed an aftershock coming off his swings. Is he developing a ranged attack? Also, three swing sets before rests? Jaune is pretty buff to need a rest that quickly unless he's doing something significantly more than simple slashes. Maybe he's pumping his aura into his blade, boosting the power but tiring himself in the process (Weiss clearly shows that overusing her glyphs, with semblance being presented as an extension of aura, exhausted her in the fight against that massive Nevermore). Either way, it's clear that Jaune is hurting, but he's not letting the pain stop him, and that's pretty awesome.

Oh, and no cheap comedy at Jaune's expense in this one. It was serious and great the whole way through. If we can get more of this and less "Jaune hits himself improbably in the nethers on a random rock", this may be the day we've waited for.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler: v4e2 thoughts
    Show
    2. Who's that portrait next to the piano? *waits five seconds* Oh, that's who it is. "Whitlean"? He's playing it close to the chest, apart from a tiny bit of younger-brother resentment near the end. Hopefully he's not lean on wits, har har.

4. Weiss exits the scene with Whitlean in the direction she entered from. Why? Was she informed to meet Jacques somewhere other than his study (no destination was stated last episode)? Is it just bad scene blocking? Grr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Show
    Whitly... Whitlee, Witli... Witty looks like a resentful spoiled little brother who has spent the better part of a year as daddy's only child. Yeah, I'd be happy to have a sister back in the house, too.
    Spoiler: Vol 4 Episode 2, Spelling of a name
    Show

The name for Weiss's brother is Whitley Schnee per the credits of the episode. Voice actor is Howard Wang. We still do not know his age compared to Weiss, but based off the picture frame with him, his siblings, and his parents I am guessing he is the youngest.

Supposedly his name means white meadow in old english / anglo saxon see here Links to google books, to a book about baby names. It appears a name more commonly used for girls (most people do not names their boys after fields, meadows, plants, and flowers after all ) I am familiar with an alternate spellings of ley, such as Leigh , Leigh in English like ley means meadow.

------

I am glad I got the spelling correct on my first try, since I have problems and make errors often when sounding out words in my head and picking the best way to spell those sounds into letters / words. Not trying to be a nitpicker of others, but just share the spelling since we have a 1st part source via the credits on how to spell the name.

------

On another note what is up with Whitley's legs, the proportion is all wrong. Too much leg for his corresponding height.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    I continue to be impressed by the graphical upgrade. Talented as Oum was (and he absolutely was), his reliance on Poser seems like it was a liability on this project. Or maybe the artists have just gotten better with practice. Either way, it flows well and looks good and, while certainly not perfect, I find the improvement immense.
    Show
    From what I've heard/read, its a combination of the two. Oum liked using Poser and so the rest of the team did despite the fact Poser was not (and is not) meant for animating movement well and despite the fact not a ton of people use it. I think they made the switch to Maya either in the last volume or in this one, which far more of the animating team is familiar with and have a lot more practice with.

Show
    That power sign footprint means something specific to Ren and Nora. We know the two had their homes taken from them already (to the point they feel Nora at least feels she has nothing to return to), could this be the footprint of the same grade of Grimm that destroyed their lives? Would be nice to get a little more intel on the two, since the only real information we've gotten this far is Nora's meltdown before their first fight in the tournament.
    Show
    If I had to bet, I would wager that Ren and Nore became orphans by bandits rather than Grimm and that...power sign actually has nothing to do with the Grimm. Mostly just a suspicion based off what happened in the village and I also can't help but admire that kind of bandit attack. Make it big enough or terrifying enough and bail in the right time period and not only will the Grimm show up to finish your job for you (saving you time, bandits, and resources) but then it also looks like a Grimm attack, rather neatly covering your tracks. Reprehensible, but clever if its intentional.

Show
    That said, they're keeping her alive in our minds. The video and Jaune's training really brought home the pain and lost potential, I think, and the suggestion that Jaune keeps up with the others despite spending his sleep time training is frankly noteworthy. I noticed an aftershock coming off his swings. Is he developing a ranged attack? Also, three swing sets before rests? Jaune is pretty buff to need a rest that quickly unless he's doing something significantly more than simple slashes. Maybe he's pumping his aura into his blade, boosting the power but tiring himself in the process (Weiss clearly shows that overusing her glyphs, with semblance being presented as an extension of aura, exhausted her in the fight against that massive Nevermore). Either way, it's clear that Jaune is hurting, but he's not letting the pain stop him, and that's pretty awesome. .
    Show
    I think Ruby's waking dream is a combination of her remembering Pyrrha's death and Jaune's videos, but your right about bringing out the loss it has caused. I think Jaune's exhaustion is a combination of using new and heavier arms and armor, that not being the first three swing set he's done that night, and pumping his aura into his blade. Definitely agreed on the last part. Jaune is still one of the obvious comedy characters, but he's developing into a more serious one without becoming angsty mostly because he's using his pain to motivate him to be better not just as a warrior, but also a leader. So far he seems like a much more...responsible (best way to phrase it I think) leader than before or maybe he always was and we just didn't see it.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #400
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: S4E2
    Show
    Holy ****, a very good episode.
    I love how they made the Shnee home feel so empty. Even with all this obvious wealth and prosperity, the house just feels cold. Even between siblings that are trying to like each other, things just feel kind of awkward and distant. I also get the impression that it's more broken then it seems at first glance, with their mother drunk in the garden.
    Papa Shnee is kind of a jerk, but it's predictable for a ceo in that his first priority is business. Also, is the butler guy Launch? (or maybe the seven dwarves, considering who Weiss is based on).

Good god, the scene with Jaune training was heartbreaking. The voices, the music, the scenery, the animation, it's all perfect!

Not much else to say, it's just that good of an episode.
    Last edited by Dragonexx; 2016-10-30 at 08:21 PM.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Hrm... when Whitley's face is outlined against a background, it looks fine, but it loses the lines against his neck and looks really weird. Now I'm noticing this with other characters too. I didn't see it last episode, maybe Whitley's face is particularly suited to it.

Also, "Klein" has apparently been used as a nickname for short people.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2016-10-30 at 08:42 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Show
    Hrm... when Whitley's face is outlined against a background, it looks fine, but it loses the lines against his neck and looks really weird. Now I'm noticing this with other characters too. I didn't see it last episode, maybe Whitley's face is particularly suited to it.

Also, "Klein" has apparently been used as a nickname for short people.
    Spoiler: V4
    Show
    Yeah, I've noticed that too on occasion and it is mildly off-putting. Seems to be a stylistic choice but its one that is...strange.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: S04E02
    Show
    Huh. I actually...enjoyed that episode. It had good visuals (particularly Weiss' empty house); Decent character establishment; And a genuinely sombre scene of mourning for Phyrra. Could it be that, after three full volumes, RWBY has finally found its footing? Probably not. Still, I'm glad that this episode exists.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    In my headcanon until it is shown other wise Weiss's (younger?) brother Whitley is gay, and has recently found his first boyfriend and has grown in personality since then.

He may be a brat, he may be spoiled in my head canon, but he is becoming a better person ... some of the time due to discovering more of himself, and in my head canon he is treating his sisters better and more respectfully and more empathetically.

But so far this is just stuff in my head, possibly caused by Emerald using her semblance to cause me to hallucinate
    I support this headcanon.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

People need to hurry up and watch the next episode , make time faster, surely one of you have time dilation glyphs

Show

What brought about this head-canon? Just curious cause!

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Spoiler: v4e2
    Show
    He's a skinny, soft-voiced bishie with fancy clothes and a healthy amount of non-masculine physical mannerisms. Of course there'll be speculation.

Which is not to say that we have actual information one way or another based on his surface characteristics, but some stereotypes lead to more speculation than others.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-31 at 12:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Show

A more subdued episode, which isn't a bad thing.

So, I was wrong with my predictions. This time we were split between mostly stuff at the Schnee house, and team RNJR on the road.

The Weiss House stuff was heartbreaking, but really good. A master-class in Showing not Telling. Those scenes of Weiss walking through the big, empty house with the elaborate artwork, the brief, stilted conversation with her brother, not in a room, but in yet another empty hallway. Mom drinking in the garden, an unsmiling family portrait.

Eventually, we saw some sisterly warmth between Weiss and Winter, but the only warmth in this whole episode was between Weiss and the butler.

The conversation with Ironwood provided some crucial exposition. Atlas isn't exporting dust until they're confident it won't be used against them. Despite plenty of survivors, apparently the other Kingdoms are not convinced that Atlas wasn't involved in the attack on Beacon.

I am a little bit confused about Papa Schnee. When we heard about him before, he seemed to be desperate for some sort of connection with his daughters, who in turn seemed, understandably reluctant to acknowledge him any more than necessary. Before this episode, my mental image was a caring, if overbearing "Helicopter Parent"-type father who deeply cared for his daughters to the point of smothering them. But, now that he has Weiss back home, he seems disinterested in her except for her utility as a PR tool.
    That said, I'm not so sure how to read him. He certainly has a strained relationship with his family, but all we saw of him during this episode was over a relatively short period of time, during which he was in an important meeting. Just because Weiss was wandering the lonely halls, and because her mother and father frequently get into shouting matches, doesn't mean he's not also an overconcerned parent.

But, they could have shown us that. So, my new reading is that he's really interested in control, and demonstrating a happy family. He's not a monster (He let Weiss go to Beacon after all), but he is very attached to the idea of a loving, close family, even if they are very much not. It's not that he DEMANDS his daughter sing at the concert, but he expects her to regardless.

Meanwhile, over with team RNJR, Ruby is sad, Juane has a training video from Phyrra, Ruby may be able to see ghosts, and a village got wiped out by bandits.

Juane mentioning that his family used to vacation in this area implies that these regions are usually fairly safe. Maybe the fall of Beacon has destabilized things outside the kingdoms.

I think rather than an Attack-on-Titan style "DEATH OUTSIDE THE WALLS", what we have here is more of a classic RPG setting, where life goes on peacefully 99% of the time, but Great Peril happens just as soon as a band of plucky adventurers arrives to fight it, giving the impression of both a peaceful countryside, and a constant warzone full of monsters and bandit armies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    He's a skinny, soft-voiced bishie with fancy clothes and a healthy amount of non-masculine physical mannerisms. Of course there'll be speculation.

Which is not to say that we have actual information one way or another based on his surface characteristics, but some stereotypes lead to more speculation than others.
    Show
    Is...is that the only reason? Wow, haha, guess I shouldn't be surprised by that.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

My response

Show
    I am gay, I have gaydar that works most of the time

Whitley meets the stereotypes that a subsection of gay people possess. Aka I am not talking about all gay people but instead a small subgroup of gay people possess said stereotypes and mannerisms.

Aka what Lethologica said

Also it was not just physical mannerisms but also how he refered to other people in a weird way. His conversation seemed off / non personal even though he was trying to be personal.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Show
    I am a little bit confused about Papa Schnee. When we heard about him before, he seemed to be desperate for some sort of connection with his daughters, who in turn seemed, understandably reluctant to acknowledge him any more than necessary. Before this episode, my mental image was a caring, if overbearing "Helicopter Parent"-type father who deeply cared for his daughters to the point of smothering them. But, now that he has Weiss back home, he seems disinterested in her except for her utility as a PR tool.
    That said, I'm not so sure how to read him. He certainly has a strained relationship with his family, but all we saw of him during this episode was over a relatively short period of time, during which he was in an important meeting. Just because Weiss was wandering the lonely halls, and because her mother and father frequently get into shouting matches, doesn't mean he's not also an overconcerned parent.

But, they could have shown us that. So, my new reading is that he's really interested in control, and demonstrating a happy family. He's not a monster (He let Weiss go to Beacon after all), but he is very attached to the idea of a loving, close family, even if they are very much not. It's not that he DEMANDS his daughter sing at the concert, but he expects her to regardless.
    Show
    The best description of Weiss' relationship with her father (so far) might actually be in the soundtrack. Volume 3's It's My Turn is devoted to that very subject. The lyrics don't exactly paint daddy dearest in a sympathetic light.

Incidentally, that song's place in the series itself seems really random. Why does it play over a generic tournament fight? Sure, Weiss is in the scene; But she's just one character among many. I'd have thought that her song would belong in a more Weiss-centric place.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Well that was actually quite good. The Sniees are pretty messed up family wise, where they are all incredibly icy. The youngest brother is interesting. I think he might actually be a villain in the making. Maybe.

I did like the fathers and Wiess interactions. It gave me the impression that the father literally can't understand affection, or other perspectives. The business is everything for him, and everyone around him exists in context to his business. His interactions with his child made me think more of a CEO talking to an underling then a father to a daughter.

On that note, I'm not looking forward to the concert, because RWBY hasn't really produced that great of music.

Meanwhile back with Ruby and co, we've got an actual tragedy, development, mourning, and Juane being taken seriously? Holy carp, that's amazing! An actually touching scene with Pyrra promising to always be by Juane's side. And some subtly in what's going on with Ruby, since they raised the possibility that she was just hearing the training videos and dreaming as a result.

Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    On that note, I'm not looking forward to the concert, because RWBY hasn't really produced that great of music.

Meanwhile back with Ruby and co, we've got an actual tragedy, development, mourning, and Juane being taken seriously? Holy carp, that's amazing! An actually touching scene with Pyrra promising to always be by Juane's side. And some subtly in what's going on with Ruby, since they raised the possibility that she was just hearing the training videos and dreaming as a result.

Show
    I only own a grand total of three CDs that I purchased myself. One is the Mass Effect soundtrack, one is the Hellsing soundtrack, and the third is the RWBY soundtrack. I am excited for the concert.

I think its more than a possibility personally, feels more like guilt that she couldn't save Pyrrha that's bothering her.

...honestly don't know how anyone got 'Ruby can talk to the dead/summon spirits'...that'd just be surreal.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    ...honestly don't know how anyone got 'Ruby can talk to the dead/summon spirits'...that'd just be surreal.
    Show
    As surreal as 'Ruby can emit silver anti-maiden shockwaves'?

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Or "Ruby's superspeed can also manifest as literally turning into a cloud of flying petals, which can pick up other people, turning them into a colored cloud of flying petals".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Or "Ruby's superspeed can also manifest as literally turning into a cloud of flying petals, which can pick up other people, turning them into a colored cloud of flying petals".
    Show
    ...Why would either of those be particularly surreal? I mean, I can maybe see the first one, but the second is literally her Sembalance..y'know, the thing every person trained as a hunstmen has in some form.

Based on what we've seen and know so far, I'd wager on two theories.

1) The Silver Eyes counter-act magic in some manner which is why they hurt Maidens and possibly the Grimm, considering the Grimm display abilities that can be described as magical at times and I suspect they were created via magic of some kind a very long time ago.

or

2) The Silver Eyes aren't anti-Maiden, they're anti-'people who use a magic glove that contains a Grimm inside it to absorb Maiden powers' which would make sense considering the glove fused with Cinder after she used it which would make her part Grimm at this point. In other words, Eyes meant to kill Grimm work on Cinder cause she used a Grimm to steal the powers that are now a part of her soul.

Either way, wasn't that surprising.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    I only own a grand total of three CDs that I purchased myself. One is the Mass Effect soundtrack, one is the Hellsing soundtrack, and the third is the RWBY soundtrack. I am excited for the concert.

I think its more than a possibility personally, feels more like guilt that she couldn't save Pyrrha that's bothering her.

Show
    As the first person to mention anything like this, what's getting me is mostly that Ruby is hearing things in her dreams that she wasn't around to hear when she was awake. So far that doesn't suggest 'talking to the dead' to me, because if Ruby were talking to the dead, she'd probably hear them saying things they didn't say when they were alive. She also wouldn't hear Cinder, who is still alive (cue GladOS). But it does indicate that something is going on, and as I mentioned, there's a possibly-significant closeup of Ruby's half-lidded eyes before she wakes up.

EDIT:
    Show
    ...Why would either of those be particularly surreal? I mean, I can maybe see the first one, but the second is literally her Sembalance..y'know, the thing every person trained as a hunstmen has in some form.

Based on what we've seen and know so far, I'd wager on two theories.

1) The Silver Eyes counter-act magic in some manner which is why they hurt Maidens and possibly the Grimm, considering the Grimm display abilities that can be described as magical at times and I suspect they were created via magic of some kind a very long time ago.

or

2) The Silver Eyes aren't anti-Maiden, they're anti-'people who use a magic glove that contains a Grimm inside it to absorb Maiden powers' which would make sense considering the glove fused with Cinder after she used it which would make her part Grimm at this point. In other words, Eyes meant to kill Grimm work on Cinder cause she used a Grimm to steal the powers that are now a part of her soul.

Either way, wasn't that surprising.
    Show
    The first theory doesn't really work unless you also assert that the usual Dust-Aura-Semblance trio isn't magic, since it was the Maiden power in particular that was called out as giving Cinder a crippling weakness.

The second theory is interesting and I like it.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-31 at 05:42 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

:
    Show
    The first theory doesn't really work unless you also assert that the usual Dust-Aura-Semblance trio isn't magic, since it was the Maiden power in particular that was called out as giving Cinder a crippling weakness.

The second theory is interesting and I like it.
    Show
    I'm saying exactly that for the first theory becauae they aren't. Ozpin establoshes the Maidens' powers as seperate from at least Semblance and Dust during his conversation with Pyrrha. And the only concrete thing we know about Aura/Maiden is that a Maiden's power are bound to her Aura/soul and thus MIGHT be something that can be transferred along with Aura.

I'd have to rewatch Beginning of the End to confirm, but I do feel comfortable saying that Maiden powers can be used even after Aura is depleted because I'm pretty sure Amber throws out some last ditch attacks after her Aura was fully depleted.

...but yeah, Maiden powers are something different from Aura/Dust/Semblance and Ozpin refers to the former as magic.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    I'm saying exactly that for the first theory becauae they aren't. Ozpin establoshes the Maidens' powers as seperate from at least Semblance and Dust during his conversation with Pyrrha. And the only concrete thing we know about Aura/Maiden is that a Maiden's power are bound to her Aura/soul and thus MIGHT be something that can be transferred along with Aura.

I'd have to rewatch Beginning of the End to confirm, but I do feel comfortable saying that Maiden powers can be used even after Aura is depleted because I'm pretty sure Amber throws out some last ditch attacks after her Aura was fully depleted.

...but yeah, Maiden powers are something different from Aura/Dust/Semblance and Ozpin refers to the former as magic.
    Show
    Good point. I honestly forgot about that because I didn't like it.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    Spoiler: My theory on the abilities of RWBY, a few minor V4E1&2 spoilers
    Show

Personally, I don't think of the traditional RWBY abilities as magic.
    Dust is a shorthand representation for technology. Dust fuels their holographic tech, their firearms, their vehicles... It's kind of a "magitek" in that it can do whatever the plot calls for, but it is commonly used and widely available and doesn't require any special training or talent (as evidenced by Weiss's "Dust for the Mentally Deficient" pamphlet in volume 1). Might as well call electricity, circuits, gasoline, and gunpowder magic. Even "mage-type" Huntsmen like Weiss employ Dust for their attacks rather than actual magic.

Aura/Semblance is spiritual in nature. As in Dragonball Z, chucking bolts of blue light, super-charging your muscles, flying, and whatnot is clearly supernatural, but not magic. Aura itself is a pretty consistent feature that serves the same purpose for everyone once unlocked, though natural talent and training result in improved results. Semblance is an Aura-based special ability that is usually specific to the individual, with Schnee's inherited Semblance being a unique thing at the moment. Semblance also seem to be encapsulated, representing a single discrete ability for each individual (Schnees excluded). While some of the Semblance abilities border on magic (particularly the Schnees), Semblance as a whole is too consistent and limited to be magic.

It may just be my personal opinion of magic, but I find that magic defies definition. Magic tends to be a swiss army knife, capable of a seemingly unlimited number of variations and applications. Even specialists, like a fire mage, can make fire do a million different things, while a semblance does one specific thing - like create a sword made of fire or wreathe the user in flame that protects them while harming attackers or spawning fire mines. Perhaps it would be more realistic to say that a Semblance could be viewed as a spell, but each individual only ever gets one spell and proper "magic" would represent an individual's ability to cast multiple spells.

Is "Maiden Power" magic? We haven't seen it employed enough to see the range it's capable of. It seems likely, especially given the reverence it's treated with, but it's too early to tell. Same with "Silver Eyes", except that it seems explicitly designed to counter external threats - specifically the Maidens, apparently. Which could actually be the point of it, when you think about it. The stories say Silver Eyes were effective vs Grimm, but the reality of the Maidens isn't common knowledge. Wouldn't be hard to assume the supernatural bane trait would be effective against the only supernatural threat anyone knows about. Ozpin knows the Maidens exist, he's got one in the basement on life support, and he knows Salem is out there. He knows there are bad Maidens, he's built an entire conspiracy to combat them, and fate just happened to throw him a bone in the form of an aspiring (and talented) huntress born with the anathema of his enemy. Of course he recruited her on the spot and did his best to encourage her development without controlling it. Which makes sense, if you assume Ozpin was the one who gave the Maidens their powers in the first place.

Actually, that brings one thing to mind:
    Spoiler: V4E1 Spoilers
    Show
    Is it possible that Farm Boy is Ozpin? Trapped in a cycle of pseudo reincarnation? The wizard that empowered the Maidens supposedly lived on a secluded farm, and here comes this undefined young farm kid, in a secluded farm, with a face and hair style that could easily be Ozpin minus 40-50 years. Say Ozpin is anchored to this farm, and everytime he dies he returns to the farm in the same state he was when he first became, well, Ozpin. Possibly lacking direct memories of his past life at first, though he presumably recovers it at some point. Then what Qrowe is looking for is Ozpin's farm, to give the kid his cane and wake him back up.

A stupid longshot, I know, but it is an interesting idea, yeah?
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2016-11-01 at 10:50 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, that brings one thing to mind:
    Spoiler: V4E1 Spoilers
    Show
    Is it possible that Farm Boy is Ozpin? Trapped in a cycle of pseudo reincarnation? The wizard that empowered the Maidens supposedly lived on a secluded farm, and here comes this undefined young farm kid, in a secluded farm, with a face and hair style that could easily be Ozpin minus 40-50 years. Say Ozpin is anchored to this farm, and everytime he dies he returns to the farm in the same state he was when he first became, well, Ozpin. Possibly lacking direct memories of his past life at first, though he presumably recovers it at some point. Then what Qrowe is looking for is Ozpin's farm, to give the kid his cane and wake him back up.

A stupid longshot, I know, but it is an interesting idea, yeah?
    That...is an interesting idea and one I hadn't considered. I like that.