New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rules You Never Noticed

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Marmot View Post
    Please tell me you didn't stack the ammo bonus with the bow's bonus. Cause you're not supposed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manyasone View Post
    Methinks he did
    Were you there? No, you were not.

The magic melee weapons the party had were good enough on their own the spell wouldn't have added much. Casting Bless, a 1st level spell, was just as effective if not statistically equal. Magical arrows, on the other hand, were hard to come by, inherently no where near the numbers the ranger would fire his bow. With one spell he was +3 to hit and damage for the entire day, well worth the 4th level slot. Remember, I did say that at the time Greater Magic Weapon was +1 per three levels. Even after the nerf it would still be worth it because you can't get infinite magic arrows. At 8th level when it becomes +2, melee warriors already have at least a +1 weapon, if not +1 plus rider. A 4th level slot for just +1 to hit and damage more is inefficient to me. A 4th level slot for +2 to hit and damage for every arrow of the ranger, worth it. 12th level is a no-brainer for +3/+3 with plenty of 4th level slots to spare. That was the eureka. Not the plus number itself but being able to buff the party's archer so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You could have just said it was back in 3.0 when all that stuff still worked like that. Most people here assume 3.5 talk unless otherwise specified. No need to get riled up....
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    I was unclear, the DM's ruling was that without a full attack, you can't initiate the maneuvers at all.
    That reads right to me. There's nothing in the phrasing of the maneuver to make an exception to the standard rule that you can only initiate multiple attacks you're entitled to when you take a full attack action.

Compare them to the wording of the snap kick feat's benefit, where it's made explicitly clear that you can activate the feat whenever you make -any- attack.

Though technically, you could activate the maneuvers at the beginning of your turn and not take the full attack. They'd just be wasted for the encounter.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2016-12-20 at 02:20 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

There is actually a weapon like this:

Greathammer: Damage 1d12, Critical 19–20/×4, (Bludgeoning)

Pretty much the ultimate melee weapon. From Monster Manual IV, p.101

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by etrpgb View Post

Well, the fact that it is an exotic weapon is a slight balancing factor. But that's still a very good find. And it gets a +2 bonus on sunder attempts on weapons or shields which is just gravy. Looking at the entry, it doesn't say that it is a two-handed weapon anywhere that I see, does it? That makes it sort of insane. I assume it is meant to be two-handed, and even with that it is very nice.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Looking at the entry, it doesn't say that it is a two-handed weapon anywhere that I see, does it?
    It's a 3.0 weapon, isn't it? That would mean that the "Medium" weapon is the medium two-handed version (just like in 3.5, in 3.0 a creature can wield a weapon of its own size in two hands).

EDIT: In fact, either way, in absence of other information, the fact that it's medium means that it's a two-handed weapon for a medium creature.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2016-12-20 at 10:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That reads right to me. There's nothing in the phrasing of the maneuver to make an exception to the standard rule that you can only initiate multiple attacks you're entitled to when you take a full attack action.

Compare them to the wording of the snap kick feat's benefit, where it's made explicitly clear that you can activate the feat whenever you make -any- attack.

Though technically, you could activate the maneuvers at the beginning of your turn and not take the full attack. They'd just be wasted for the encounter.
    The maneuvers have specific activation times, and specific effects when used. If they say "you make an additional attack" when you use the Boost, you make an additional attack when you use it (as a swift action). If they say "you make an attack with each weapon you're wielding, up to a maximum of two," and they take a standard action to activate, then you do precisely that in a standard action.

The exception/specific rule is right there.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    It's a 3.0 weapon, isn't it? That would mean that the "Medium" weapon is the medium two-handed version (just like in 3.5, in 3.0 a creature can wield a weapon of its own size in two hands).

EDIT: In fact, either way, in absence of other information, the fact that it's medium means that it's a two-handed weapon for a medium creature.
    This is a 3.5 weapon from a 3.5 book. Take a look again at the equipment section in the players handbook, and you will see even in there it has a "Damage (Small)" and "Damage (Medium)" column, giving you the damage for the weapon for the two most common player sizes. It's not saying that it's a medium sized weapon, but rather saying that the weapon, when sized for a medium creature, deals 1d12 damage.

That said, looking at the weapon in the picture, as well as the statistics for the weapon in the monster's statblock, it is wielding it two handed, and it is getting 1.5x str to damage. Admittedly you can do that for a one handed weapon as well, but i think it's safe to say, with that stat line, two handed seems more reasonable.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    It's a 3.0 weapon, isn't it?
    MM IV is just 3.5, as far as I know.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Line of effect. Never used this hidden little anti-gem until frequenting the boards here

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Line of effect. Never used this hidden little anti-gem until frequenting the boards here
    Would you please elaborate? I'm not sure what you did before you learned of it, and how you've changed play since learning of it.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Would you please elaborate? I'm not sure what you did before you learned of it, and how you've changed play since learning of it.
    We used line of sight. Line of effect is a significantly different concept because it makes the ring of x-ray vision or clairvoyance lose tactical potency. But introducing the idea that you can't necessarily target what you see is not very intuitive.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    We used line of sight. Line of effect is a significantly different concept because it makes the ring of x-ray vision or clairvoyance lose tactical potency. But introducing the idea that you can't necessarily target what you see is not very intuitive.
    *cough*windows*cough*

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I should point out that the statistics in the minotaur's stat block put the hammer at just 20/x4, which makes sense to me, as it puts it in line with the goliath greathammer. Still a good weapon, especially if you have a a way to cast greater mighty wallop.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    *cough*windows*cough*
    I personally do think it's kind of weird that a window is a 100% foolproof defense against almost all spells.
    "I cast charm person on him when he comes to the window."
    "You can't, there's a window in the way."
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    I personally do think it's kind of weird that a window is a 100% foolproof defense against almost all spells.
    "I cast charm person on him when he comes to the window."
    "You can't, there's a window in the way."
    Also, if one were to apply line of effect, would that mean that a total body suit blocks spells?

It probably wouldn't hinder damaging spells much, but it would be way cheaper than, say, a ring of mind blank.

Add in blindsight and you'd be set.

Except that I just noticed, by reading blindsight, that you need line of effect from you to the creature. So to block blindsight you just need to throw a blanket on them? :|

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keral View Post
    Also, if one were to apply line of effect, would that mean that a total body suit blocks spells?

It probably wouldn't hinder damaging spells much, but it would be way cheaper than, say, a ring of mind blank.

Add in blindsight and you'd be set.

Except that I just noticed, by reading blindsight, that you need line of effect from you to the creature. So to block blindsight you just need to throw a blanket on them? :|
    Mindsight still works, as does seeing through someone else's eyes in one of the various ways.

Extended signature!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Mindsight still works, as does seeing through someone else's eyes in one of the various ways.
    Yeah, but who knew that a tower shield made of glass is more effective at getting close to a mage than an actual magic tower shield. (look at nephelium from the sunless citadel page 32) to exploit this.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

If you just noticed that I'm guessing you don't play a lot of multi-class characters.
    Few things are more disturbing to a dragon than to be attacked by a naked gnome slathered in BBQ sauce.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    If you just noticed that I'm guessing you don't play a lot of multi-class characters.
    To be fair, I play lots of multiclass characters, and never knew that there was a general rule for cleric+paladin turn stacking, simply because I haven't read the multiclassing section in the PHB for at least 8+ years.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GilesTheCleric View Post
    To be fair, I play lots of multiclass characters, and never knew that there was a general rule for cleric+paladin turn stacking, simply because I haven't read the multiclassing section in the PHB for at least 8+ years.
    To be fair, paladin 4/cleric X isn't the most common of multiclasses either.

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #53

It took me years to find out the game actually had rules for falling speed of non-flying creatures: the second DMG lists it as 670 feet in the first round and 1150 thereafter.
    Unless you jump, then it's limited by your movement speed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    I do but thought I was house-ruling it because almost every site I see (and dnd games i recall playing) all say that your max ranks for a class skill is only relevant if its a skill that's a class skill for the class you're leveling up in that level.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    I do but thought I was house-ruling it because almost every site I see (and dnd games i recall playing) all say that your max ranks for a class skill is only relevant if its a skill that's a class skill for the class you're leveling up in that level.
    The true for how many skill points you have to invest for one rank, but not for skill caps. Why would people spread misinformation as fact?
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Banned

Just because the rules don't say it's one/two handed doesn't mean it's one handed through.

Also 1d12's average is 6.5 but 2d6 is 7 so a mercurial greatsword has better stats than it and a kaorti jovar surpasses both of them with 2d6//18/x4 which I still think deals less damage than what you can do with Sword & Fist's fullblades but I'd have to look. Plus you haven't even considered templates, materials, and enchantments yet. And some people like utility like a harpoon's control and damage, or a sharktooth's grapple, or the AoOs of a barbed chain, or the iaijutsu prowess of a quickrazor, or a warforged monk's interest in a 16d8 battle fist.

Point is, no it's not really. Like a morphing manyfanged dagger in the shape of a crescent knife doubles the number of attacks you have and each successful hit deals quadruple damage.
    Last edited by Mato; 2016-12-20 at 03:42 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    The true for how many skill points you have to invest for one rank, but not for skill caps. Why would people spread misinformation as fact?
    Because in 3.0 that was not the case and they may have gotten confused/been really old threads. (That rule was insanely obnoxious in 3.0 by the way).

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

The maneuvers have specific activation times, and specific effects when used. If they say "you make an additional attack" when you use the Boost, you make an additional attack when you use it (as a swift action). If they say "you make an attack with each weapon you're wielding, up to a maximum of two," and they take a standard action to activate, then you do precisely that in a standard action.

The exception/specific rule is right there.
    It doesn't say you make additional attacks, it says you -can- make additional attacks. It's granting a temporary ability not making additional attacks in and of itself.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

29. - Top - End - #59

It doesn't say you make additional attacks, it says you -can- make additional attacks. It's granting a temporary ability not making additional attacks in and of itself.
    I'll have to read the rules, then, later this evening if I remember. I'm AFB at the moment.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

I'll have to read the rules, then, later this evening if I remember. I'm AFB at the moment.
    He's right it says can.

Remember, the maneuver it's self is not an instantaneous effect that gives you two attacks (see duration "end of turn") but the boost is a buff-styled effect that allows you, on your choice, to make extra attacks in conjunction with the ones you're allowed. What's being debated is what you'd normally be allowed which is '1' or 'all', and your rebuttal that the maneuver grants X is wrong and inapplicable to the situation.