New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread IX: By the Flower and Gray Skull

I don't know if I should say you're looking too deeply at this Deiform thing or not deeply enough. It's also a killstreak call-out. Google tells me it took a 25 kill streak in Unreal Tournament to get God-like.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Wait... so Parson swearing can cause negative effects to others? Does that mean that with an appropriate delivery system, and a loud enough speaker he can create an F Bomb?
    A lot of Erf characters have described the effect of hearing certain Earth words from Parson, but I think this might be the first time he was told about it. So yes, this may be step one in creating an F bomb.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    I don't know if I should say you're looking too deeply at this Deiform thing or not deeply enough. It's also a killstreak call-out. Google tells me it took a 25 kill streak in Unreal Tournament to get God-like.
    Or seven in League of Legends.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

So the spy killed between 7 and 25 of the GMs. Actually, how many is it in TF? It's probably that.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

In TF2 you get "Godlike" with 20 kills.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #755
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

A lot of Erf characters have described the effect of hearing certain Earth words from Parson, but I think this might be the first time he was told about it. So yes, this may be step one in creating an F bomb.
    Or, if he can put him in a position where he can't easily hide his reactions, finding out significant information about Charlie.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Wait... so Parson swearing can cause negative effects to others? Does that mean that with an appropriate delivery system, and a loud enough speaker he can create an F Bomb?
    Being Erfworld, yeah, it pretty much means that. I'll pay real money to see Lilith ride the bomb like Major Kong.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    I don't know, this might be heading into this book's version of "uncroak the volcano," and that was pretty much a perfect win for GK. It also set up future problems, but there's still plenty of room for that and it was in the immediate situation everything GK could have hoped for.
    I mean... what would a perfect win be? Decrypting the entire MK?

I don't think that can happen. A united MK on any side would pretty much end the game - they'd have overwhelming access to every cheat in every type of magic, plus the ability to attack any capital at any time, using basically unlimited auto-speccing guns. I was going to say "maybe if Wanda becomes the new villain", but even then... how do you fight against that? Something has to go wrong. I could see them ending up with a lot of casters, or the portal network, but not both.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I mean... what would a perfect win be? Decrypting the entire MK?

I don't think that can happen. A united MK on any side would pretty much end the game - they'd have overwhelming access to every cheat in every type of magic, plus the ability to attack any capital at any time, using basically unlimited auto-speccing guns. I was going to say "maybe if Wanda becomes the new villain", but even then... how do you fight against that? Something has to go wrong. I could see them ending up with a lot of casters, or the portal network, but not both.
    Wait, new villain? I thought she was already the villain.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty much all the main factions can be considered villains, so the distinction is a bit difficult. GK, GMTTA, Charley, the RC, all have pretty shady moties. But I think he means Wanda will become an antagonist to Parson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Pretty much all the main factions can be considered villains, so the distinction is a bit difficult. GK, GMTTA, Charley, the RC, all have pretty shady moties. But I think he means Wanda will become an antagonist to Parson.
    Erfworld is very much gray vs gray. As for Wanda becoming an antagonist to Parson that would take a great deal for it to happen.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Erfworld is very much gray vs gray. As for Wanda becoming an antagonist to Parson that would take a great deal for it to happen.
    I'm actually curious if that is every going to happen. Wanda does respect Parson a lot, but she also just does her thing even if she knows Parson might disapprove.
    Wanda is in many ways Parson's total opposite. parson has a "can-do" approach, and Wanda with her fatalism has a "will-happen-anyway" mindset. But she seems to change a bit and imitate Parson. See the "we try things" with Janis. Maybe she stays on that path, or maybe she reverts, and in the latter case I think she will be an antagonist for Parson. "Fate" seems to be the ultimate enemy in the comic, and Wanda is its prophet.

On the last comic, I was a bit disappointed. In the comics before things started to spin out of control. TGMTTA blown up, Wanda free, Jillian under attack. And now a comic in which nothing happens. It feels like a setup comic, but we should be at action now.
    A few things we learn, like Maggie doubting the GMs, Parson getting an hint about their fate. We learn hat Ceasar is outstanding at commanding troops, and apparently that Stanley is very good at this too. Stanley is used as comparison, and in italics, implying being better than Stanley is an achievement.
    So in total not a bad update, but feels misplaced and slowed the pacing.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm actually curious if that is every going to happen. Wanda does respect Parson a lot, but she also just does her thing even if she knows Parson might disapprove.
    Wanda is in many ways Parson's total opposite. parson has a "can-do" approach, and Wanda with her fatalism has a "will-happen-anyway" mindset. But she seems to change a bit and imitate Parson. See the "we try things" with Janis. Maybe she stays on that path, or maybe she reverts, and in the latter case I think she will be an antagonist for Parson. "Fate" seems to be the ultimate enemy in the comic, and Wanda is its prophet.
    I don't think "Fate" is the bad guy here. The issues is not everyone has one.

Numbers are a greater problem. It's Numbers that dictate that the more worthy a unit is (e.g. Wanda), the more other (and the unit in question) have to suffer and die. Erf might want to get rid of both of them. In order for Wanda to rise as high as she did, the more did she had to suffer under Olive.

On the last comic, I was a bit disappointed. In the comics before things started to spin out of control. TGMTTA blown up, Wanda free, Jillian under attack. And now a comic in which nothing happens. It feels like a setup comic, but we should be at action now.
    Pacing issues? In Erfworld? Surely, this is madness.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Troll in the Playground

We learn hat Ceasar is outstanding at commanding troops, and apparently that Stanley is very good at this too. Stanley is used as comparison, and in italics, implying being better than Stanley is an achievement.
    Stanley has always been a good warlord. Not the brightest bulb, but definitely one of the sharper knives. It's just that he's gotten himself into a position where he can't really do the thing he's good at.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Stanley has always been a good warlord. Not the brightest bulb, but definitely one of the sharper knives. It's just that he's gotten himself into a position where he can't really do the thing he's good at.
    Yes, he did get promoted to heir for all the battles he won. But here Parson confirms that not only has Stanley the regular skill of an warlord to command, but apparently an exceptional level. I think this maybe is the third or forth time we hear someone (indirectly) commending Stanley in the comic.
    ― Joseph Stalin

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

But here Parson confirms that not only has Stanley the regular skill of an warlord to command, but apparently an exceptional level..
    I disagree. I think Parson merely indicated that Stanley can not lead troops as effortlessly as Caesar. Are you sure you didn't just read things backwards?

Maybe I should verify that you are talking about this line: "He'd never seen Stanley lead his units that effortlessly." That's not a positive statement about Stanley. Was there something else?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-03-31 at 05:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I disagree. I think Parson merely indicated that Stanley can not lead troops as well as Caesar. Are you sure you didn't just read things backwards?
    There's nothing in the line that says or even indicates "can't". Parson says he's never seen Stanley do it. Doesn't mean he can't, just that he hasn't in front of Parson.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    There's nothing in the line that says or even indicates "can't". Parson says he's never seen Stanley do it. Doesn't mean he can't, just that he hasn't in front of Parson.
    Well, yes.... So?

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yes.... So?
    So what you said, that Parson indicated Stanley can not lead troops as effortlessly is wrong as well. Both you and Sweetie Wolf are incorrect.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    So what you said, that Parson indicated Stanley can not lead troops as effortlessly is wrong as well. Both you and Sweetie Wolf are incorrect.
    Apparently Parson just assumed that he couldn't based on what he had seen, though. The possibility that someone could do it so effortlessly was surprising to him. Looking back, I should have said, "expected" rather than "indicated," though.

BTW, if you want to be pedantic, all three of us were wrong. You said, "Parson says he's never seen Stanley do it." That was third person narration, not Parson saying it.

20. - Top - End - #770

He should sing Reggie Watts' F___ S___ Stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

21. - Top - End - #771
    Barbarian in the Playground

22. - Top - End - #772
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thanks for the reminder.

... naturally, I checked it a few hours ago, saw nothing, and ... forgot.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't it just feel like this should have happened before we saw Wanda get freed two comics ago? Unless the twist is that Kahunae'ea is Hawaiian for C'thulu or something.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2017-04-01 at 12:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Parson is now caught up, that's all.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

25. - Top - End - #775

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Doesn't it just feel like this should have happened before we saw Wanda get freed two comics ago? Unless the twist is that Kahunae'ea is Hawaiian for C'thulu or something.
    Pretty sure the twist is the giant head at the end. Does it look like Issac's head to anyone here?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

It does. The Erfworld forums think that Isaac has somehow captured or become a Gestalt mind but I don't see any kind of evidence for that. They point to the Deiform statement but I don't have any idea how they draw anything even close to what they're trying to from it.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I don't think Isaac is still is part of a gestalt mind, but something happened to Isaac. The link basically formed a gestalt mind. When some of the GM's croaked, they would have experienced the same sort of transcendental state that Bunny experienced when she croaked. (Remember all of the things she suddenly realized and how euphoric is was for her?) Isaac would have shared the croaking casters' transcendental states since he was part of their link and had his mind "blown," too. I think he's retained much of the the knowledge he gained from that experience, and that's made him "godlike." I don't think he really needs to have the minds of other people inside of him; he's gained so much knowledge that he's going through something like that, anyway. After all, he probably has all of their knowledge now. To him, that would make him godlike.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I suck because I thought that was Maggie's face, haha.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Isaac is still is part of a gestalt mind, but something happened to Isaac. The link basically formed a gestalt mind. When some of the GM's croaked, they would have experienced the same sort of transcendental state that Bunny experienced when she croaked. (Remember all of the things she suddenly realized and how euphoric is was for her?) Isaac would have shared the croaking casters' transcendental states since he was part of their link and had his mind "blown," too. I think he's retained much of the the knowledge he gained from that experience, and that's made him "godlike." I don't think he really needs to have the minds of other people inside of him; he's gained so much knowledge that he's going through something like that, anyway. After all, he probably has all of their knowledge now. To him, that would make him godlike.
    Yeah, don't see anything even close to saying that either. It's all conjecture. If it's true, cool I guess. But there's nothing right now indicating that.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

I disagree. I think Parson merely indicated that Stanley can not lead troops as effortlessly as Caesar. Are you sure you didn't just read things backwards?

Maybe I should verify that you are talking about this line: "He'd never seen Stanley lead his units that effortlessly." That's not a positive statement about Stanley. Was there something else?
    Parson said Caesar can lead troops better than Stanely; that I never denied.
    I thought it interesting that Parson uses Stanley as yard stick. From context it is apparent Parson is commending Caesar, not putting down Stanley. Which in turn suggest Stanley has not only the usual skill for an warlord at commanding, but a better one.
    ― Joseph Stalin