New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: What is the best blaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Vogonjeltz View Post
    In MMORPG, MUD, and RPG parlance a "Blaster" is your damage dealers.

In the same way that "Tank" and "Healer" are indicative of broad roles, the words don't reflect any actual methodology.

For an example, the Bounty Hunter in the star wars MMORPG is a ranged combatant, but they're a tank.

So, if the OP meant to ask what's the best ranged damage, that would still be a Fighter using a Heavy Crossbow with Crossbow Expert or Longbow, and Sharpshooter.
    "Blaster" in DnD usually refers to magic users blowing enemies up with high burst damage and AoE spells.

If OP meant to ask for "best damage dealer", he would have asked for that (or best dpr).
    Though I can see, where the confusion comes from, if people use "blaster" for "dps" in some other games.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vogonjeltz View Post
    In MMORPG, MUD, and RPG parlance a "Blaster" is your damage dealers.

In the same way that "Tank" and "Healer" are indicative of broad roles, the words don't reflect any actual methodology.

For an example, the Bounty Hunter in the star wars MMORPG is a ranged combatant, but they're a tank.

So, if the OP meant to ask what's the best ranged damage, that would still be a Fighter using a Heavy Crossbow with Crossbow Expert or Longbow, and Sharpshooter.
    I mean I've played my share of MMORPGs and RPGs, never once heard of a melee DPS class called a "Blaster". Never. Usually "Striker", "DPS, or some variation. "Blaster" is well known to mean a ranged spell damage dealer.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Add in War Caster and you can blast when someone tries to get away from you; add in PAM and a quarterstaff, and you can do it when someone tries to get close to you.
    I thought it had been errata'd/sage-advised that PAM opportunity attacks are restricted to attacks with the weapon the feat refers to. Don't have any sources though.
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quoxis View Post
    I thought it had been errata'd/sage-advised that PAM opportunity attacks are restricted to attacks with the weapon the feat refers to. Don't have any sources though.
    Quite possible. I'm averse to social media, so ... no opportunity to find out.

Can anybody enlighten us?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RulesJD View Post
    I mean I've played my share of MMORPGs and RPGs, never once heard of a melee DPS class called a "Blaster". Never. Usually "Striker", "DPS, or some variation. "Blaster" is well known to mean a ranged spell damage dealer.
    Who said anything about melee???? The very quote in your post is about a ranged fighter

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Quite possible. I'm averse to social media, so ... no opportunity to find out.

Can anybody enlighten us?
    Only think I could find was that the bonus action attack uses the same modifier as the first attack. So Quarterstaff + Shillelagh + Polearm Master uses Wisdom for everything.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, so if i make any mistakes please let me know.
    As for what is the best blaster i would say sorcerer draconic origin 6/ warlock Hexblade 14 if UA is allowed.

Sorcerer 6 gets you:+CHA to spell dmg of draconic origins element, and the ability to quicken to cast as bonus action.
    Warlock 14 Hexblade get you; EB (1d10 force dmg), +CHA dmg, +10 ft push, + Hex dmg (1d6), + PROF dmg

1 round w/ Hex and Hexblade curse active:
    EB [6(1d10)+5(cha)+5(cha)+6(prof)+4(hex)] * 4= 104 dmg, use quickened to cast again= 208 per round consistently. Plus push up to 80 ft.

Assumptions: 20 CHA by lvl 20, avg used for die rolls, Hex and Hexblade curse already active.
    Minor deviations:
    Used warlock pack from UA, not all DM will allow.
    Used Ethereal Dragon(Force) for Origin. while not in the provided list not technically against RAW.
    Last edited by Ruebin Rybnik; 2017-04-17 at 04:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Only think I could find was that the bonus action attack uses the same modifier as the first attack. So Quarterstaff + Shillelagh + Polearm Master uses Wisdom for everything.
    http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/19/war-caster-feat/

Easy peasy to look up.

Not a valid combo.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rolls up sleeves

Cracks knuckles

Okay! Let's do this!

Here's my two cents:
    Starting out, levels will have be Warlock 2, Fighter 2, Sorcerer 16 (I'm sure you can see where this is going)

We'll assume hex is up this round as well.

Spoiler: Damage Dealt
    Show

MAIN ACTION: Cast eldritch blast, (empowered of course!)

4d6 Eldritch Blast+4d6 Hex+20 Agonizing blast= 48 Average w/out empowered factored in.

BONUS ACTION: Quickened Cast Eldritch blast (Empowered! Who'd've thunk!?)

4d6 Eldritch Blast+4d6 Hex+20 Agonizing blast= 48 Average w/out empowered factored in.

Action Surge: Eldritch blaaaaaaaaast!!! (Get this, Empowered!!!)

TOTAL: All this for a total of 144 average damage per round, (Probably quite a bit more because of empowered! I didn't even factor it in because that's too much math) up to twice per short rest, probably burning spell slots to turn into sorcery points before/after (Or even during) every fight if you want to keep this up, as it burns 5 sorcery points per round and you only have 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post
    Do you want to play all those cool fantasy adventures like Lord of the Rings, Conan the Barbarian*, etc?
    Do you want to not actually bother about whether you've picked something that will work and not left in the dust by the rest of the party at level 7?
    Do you want that sense of excitement when you find a magic item back**?

Then Dungeons and Dragons, 5th edition is for you!

*Actually a fighter/rogue multiclass.
    **Might not apply to all campaigns. Enquire at your local DMs.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

I guess you need to aim for a combination of at-will blasting and nova blasting. Warlock2/Sorcerer18 is as good as it gets as far as I know. You can be quickening Fireballs as long as you got slots and points, and after that you still got some pumped Eldritch Blast to go all day.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

I'm loving playing a tempest cleric. I get to maximize my lightning/thunder damage once per long rest, which is awesome. At level 18, it is possible to do 10d10 lightning damage per turn for 10-ish turns, and maximize your damage for 3 turns. Just cast call lightning in a thunderstorm while another caster has cast control weather to make that thunderstorm. That's 300+ damage with one 9th level spell casting.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Tempest cleric has maxmize spell for every encounter.
    Sorcerers with empower also dish it out. Empower is easy to underestimate but its giving a ton of dps to an AOE.

Evo wizards can sculpt but they aren't competitive in the actual damage dealt. Some matter of what you prefer here.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinGuy View Post
    I'm loving playing a tempest cleric. I get to maximize my lightning/thunder damage once per long rest, which is awesome.
    Channel Divinity actually recharges on a short rest.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    Channel Divinity actually recharges on a short rest.
    Yep, thats where I was going with it too. I should say practically every encounter. The whole short rest thing really puts tempests on the map.
    Last edited by sophontteks; 2018-08-21 at 02:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're willing to blow your load on a single battle, the Sorcerer is absolutely ridiculous. Any archetype, really.

Quicken Sunbeam, then use your action to use Sunbeam.

Next turn, Cone of Cold and Sunbeam.

It's silly. At level 11 (where my current character is) you can unleash a disgusting amount of damage in an enormous area.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    If you're willing to blow your load on a single battle, the Sorcerer is absolutely ridiculous. Any archetype, really.

Quicken Sunbeam, then use your action to use Sunbeam.

It's silly. At level 11 (where my current character is) you can unleash a disgusting amount of damage in an enormous area.
    I'm afraid this isn't actually legal. Bonus action spells can only be followed up by a cantrip. Unless I'm missing something. The bonus action spell rules are kind of strange.
    Last edited by sophontteks; 2018-08-21 at 02:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sophontteks View Post
    I'm afraid this isn't actually legal. Bonus action spells can only be followed up by a cantrip. Unless I'm missing something. The bonus action spell rules are kind of strange.
    You aren't casting Sunbeam each time. Casting the spell allows you to use your action to project a beam of light as long as you maintain concentration. You cast it once, then get to use that action over and over.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    You aren't casting Sunbeam each time. Casting the spell allows you to use your action to project a beam of light as long as you maintain concentration. You cast it once, then get to use that action over and over.
    Oooh, I get what your saying now. I thought you were listing off different combinations but your explaining your actions each turn in a single encounter. I totally misread. Thanks for clarifying.
    Last edited by sophontteks; 2018-08-21 at 03:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thread necro, ahoy!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aett_Thorn View Post
    Thread necro, ahoy!
    Good spot check!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I swear I saw this thread active for a couple days. Dang.

22. - Top - End - #52

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Deleted View Post
    At-Will: Warlock

Daily: Evocation Wizard hedges out Sorcerer.

(Just make straight classes, no need for multiclassing. By terms of raw numbers and all that... If you start getting too wacky your DM may or will drop rocks on you)
    I played both sorc and evo wizard and have to say that the +INT dmg. to any evo spell along with the sculpt spell makes the most effective wizard overall as well as the most ally-friendly one. You can use all the large aoe spells you want without harming your allies.
    "I'll have my revenge, and Deathstalker (part) II! ™"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drackolus View Post
    Just don't convert sorcery points into spells. Ever. It is always a bad return.
    Can I just 2nd this? It's baffling when I see it. If you ever do this, then you should have just played a wizard to begin with.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Can I just 2nd this? It's baffling when I see it. If you ever do this, then you should have just played a wizard to begin with.
    Meh. I've made use of this towards the end of an adventuring day when I had all my first level slots but really just needed a fourth level slot. Sickening Radiance can win a battle where a quickened Chromatic Orb cannot.