New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread II: Where The Em Dash Doesn't Exist

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Infiltrator is an entirely possible role for a mimic to fulfill, but I'd like to point out it's quite a narrow niche. Besides, something like a Hairy Spider (+0 LA, 0 RHD) or Shadow creature (+2 LA) will probably be better still.
    Indeed. I wasn't lobbying for a higher LA. I was trying to objectively examine what it could do well/best. And that was the best I could come up with. I think -0 LA wouldn't be unreasonable, honestly, though it MIGHT be +0 LA at 7 HD just because it's able to keep up with a 7th level fighter. Maybe.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mimic has enough bonus Strength to not care too much about lost BaB. Overall it's stat bonuses are actually pretty good. I think it's biggest issue though is it's lack of skill points or movement speed. It's almost a -0 due to absolute crap chassis that is only good at one thing that kind of clashes with it's one really good ability.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

I would say -0 simply because the chassis isn't especially good for enabling much. I don't see what class you take this into. You have to jump through hoops to get a semi decent movement speed, unless you have a very lenient DM who allows the shapechanging exploit mentioned by inevitability.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

With the wisdom bump couldnt the mimic make a decent wizard or druid? Druid would definitely solve the mobility issue and cleric probably can too with spells. I guess 7 lost levels hurts but with Druid does it matter? And maybe with ur priest stuff cleric would be okay (im not too familiar with ur priest to be sure how viable that is).

Also Barbarian Mimic? If you don't take pounce alt (on mimic prob not worth tbh) the +10 ft movement speed makes him as fast as a dwarf, which is much more workable.

Just some random shallow not well thought out thoughts I had about the mimic.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Besides, something like a Hairy Spider (+0 LA, 0 RHD) or Shadow creature (+2 LA) will probably be better still.
    I've heard of the Shadow Creature template, but Hairy Spider is new to me. What book is it from?

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    With the wisdom bump couldnt the mimic make a decent wizard or druid? Druid would definitely solve the mobility issue and cleric probably can too with spells. I guess 7 lost levels hurts but with Druid does it matter? And maybe with ur priest stuff cleric would be okay (im not too familiar with ur priest to be sure how viable that is).
    A mimic with five Druid levels can turn into a wolf for a few hours, summon apes, and cast dominate animal or wind wall. An elf with twelve Druid levels can be a shambling mound all day, summon elephants, cast liveoak or wall of stone. Losing a few levels of spellcasting won't make a druid (or any other caster) incapable, but it will make them less capable. I'm not sure the mimic's abilities make up the difference, and they don't really synergize with druid abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I've heard of the Shadow Creature template, but Hairy Spider is new to me. What book is it from?
    It's not. It's in a 3.0 campaign world book and due to transparently faulty editing people like to claim it's a playable race. It's literally mindless.

When someone suggests that you play a hairy spider, they are having a go at you.

7. - Top - End - #307

RedWizardGuy

I think it's faulty logic to use as-yet-unexamined LAs in one's reasoning for an existing LA. While rare, LA could go up on a poorly-balanced race/template. IMO, class levels and compensation thereof should really be the only rule of thumb. Shadow is one that strikes me as possibly undervalued.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

"Ur-Priest" should not have a place in any discussion where we're trying to be reasonable people.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I would say -0 simply because the chassis isn't especially good for enabling much. I don't see what class you take this into. You have to jump through hoops to get a semi decent movement speed, unless you have a very lenient DM who allows the shapechanging exploit mentioned by inevitability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zancloufer View Post
    Mimic has enough bonus Strength to not care too much about lost BaB. Overall it's stat bonuses are actually pretty good. I think it's biggest issue though is it's lack of skill points or movement speed. It's almost a -0 due to absolute crap chassis that is only good at one thing that kind of clashes with it's one really good ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Indeed. I wasn't lobbying for a higher LA. I was trying to objectively examine what it could do well/best. And that was the best I could come up with. I think -0 LA wouldn't be unreasonable, honestly, though it MIGHT be +0 LA at 7 HD just because it's able to keep up with a 7th level fighter. Maybe.
    Good points: LA reduced to -0.

Also Barbarian Mimic? If you don't take pounce alt (on mimic prob not worth tbh) the +10 ft movement speed makes him as fast as a dwarf, which is much more workable.

Just some random shallow not well thought out thoughts I had about the mimic.
    I actually created a barbarian mimic NPC in my early 3.5 days (horribly unoptimized of course). It worked out reasonably well.

Monsters of Faerun combined with the subsequent online update to 3.5 made Hairy Spiders +0 LA, 1 RHD vermin.

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    It's not. It's in a 3.0 campaign world book and due to transparently faulty editing people like to claim it's a playable race. It's literally mindless.

When someone suggests that you play a hairy spider, they are having a go at you.
    1. Mindless creatures having a LA is not something exclusive to MoF's spiders. There's Dustform creatures, for one.

2. Even if giving a LA wasn't the developers' intention, that doesn't change the fact that by RAW it's possible. A DM is free to houserule it, but such a thing is beyond this thread's scope.

3. Increasing intelligence from mindlessness is pretty easy. The Fiendish template, branded +1 LA by this thread, works, for one. A Fiendish Hairy Spider would still have a far lower ECL than a mimic.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWarlock View Post
    I think it's faulty logic to use as-yet-unexamined LAs in one's reasoning for an existing LA. While rare, LA could go up on a poorly-balanced race/template. IMO, class levels and compensation thereof should really be the only rule of thumb. Shadow is one that strikes me as possibly undervalued.
    I admit, shadow is an unevaluated template, but people seem to agree it's fine at +2. The Tier System For Templates places it in tier 2, and it gets used reasonably frequent in optimization.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

2. Even if giving a LA wasn't the developers' intention, that doesn't change the fact that by RAW it's possible. A DM is free to houserule it, but such a thing is beyond this thread's scope.
    I'm picturing a player coming up to the table with a character sheet and going, "I'm playing a mindless character." And the DM takes the sheet and runs their character the entire night without their input. Now I want this to happen, it sounds hilarious.
    3. Increasing intelligence from mindlessness is pretty easy. The Fiendish template, branded +1 LA by this thread, works, for one. A Fiendish Hairy Spider would still have a far lower ECL than a mimic.
    Nonability + Stat = ability? Does that mean if I cast Bear's Endurance on a ghost, it loses 3 HP per HD?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm picturing a player coming up to the table with a character sheet and going, "I'm playing a mindless character." And the DM takes the sheet and runs their character the entire night without their input. Now I want this to happen, it sounds hilarious.
    Nonability + Stat = ability? Does that mean if I cast Bear's Endurance on a ghost, it loses 3 HP per HD?
    Uh, no. That's not how Fiendish works. It doesn't provide any intelligence bonus. Instead, it explicitly says that a Fiendish creature has a minimum intelligence of 3.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Uh, no. That's not how Fiendish works. It doesn't provide any intelligence bonus. Instead, it explicitly says that a Fiendish creature has a minimum intelligence of 3.
    So a fiendish hairy spider *would* be playable, if suboptimal?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    So a fiendish hairy spider *would* be playable, if suboptimal?
    Correct. Just don't play a wizard or a skillmonkey.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Correct. Just don't play a wizard or a skillmonkey.
    So... what should a fiendish hairy spider be? Hexblade?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

So... what should a fiendish hairy spider be? Hexblade?
    Warlock. Dragonfire Adept. Druid. Dex-based martial? Not many options, really.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Warlock. Dragonfire Adept. Druid. Dex-based martial? Not many options, really.
    Actually, Swordsage with Shadow blade and Weapon Finesse might not be terrible.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

I actually made a thread on that a few years ago. I believe dragonfire adept was the most popular suggestion.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

I actually made a thread on that a few years ago. I believe dragonfire adept was the most popular suggestion.
    Oh really? Huh...

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes and no. For templates, the rules precedent (as set by the Sentry Ooze Template in Dungeonscape) is that if a Template provides a +stat to a "--" ability, the "--" is treated as a 0 for determining the new score.

However, as far as I know, there is no such precedent that applies to spells and items that provide stat bonuses to "--" abilities, and therefore a "--" ability, or nonability, would not be affected by a +stat spell or item affecting the ability in question. Likewise, they would not be affected by a spell or item that inflicted a penalty or damage to the ability.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    Yes and no. For templates, the rules precedent (as set by the Sentry Ooze Template in Dungeonscape) is that if a Template provides a +stat to a "--" ability, the "--" is treated as a 0 for determining the new score.
    Really? So any +Int template would give the +Int bonus as the flat score to a mindless creature?

Worse, any +Con template would give the +con bonus as a flat score to the formerly construct or undead? It seems weird that the -- would be treated as 0, and not 10, since it's treated as 10 for what it adds or subtracts from statistics dependent on that attribute.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

A friendly reminder that discussions on nonabilities and bonuses should probably be in their own thread.

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, Swordsage with Shadow blade and Weapon Finesse might not be terrible.
    Why is "swordsage" always the answer?

Though in this case, I'd suggest rogue as a viable choice. +16 to Hide and the ability to treat small rocks as half cover make for easy sneak attacks.
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2017-05-20 at 07:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is "swordsage" always the answer?
    This was a joke in one of my groups.

How do I build a good stealth character? Swordsage.

How do I build a good unarmed combatant? Swordsage.

How do I build a party face? Swordsage.

How do I build an awakened bush? Sworsage.

How do I build a wizard? Swordsage.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Swordsage'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Swordsage'd.
    *does rimshot*

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #326

*checks in on awesome thread*
    *looks up, sees jokes*
    *facepalms, and backs out of thread whilst shaking head*

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

eek Re: The LA-assignment thread II: Where The Em Dash Doesn't Exist

How the heck did this get to 11 pages before I even noticed it was up!

28. - Top - End - #328

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    How the heck did this get to 11 pages before I even noticed it was up!
    Because Spot is cross-class.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Because Spot is cross-class.
    Not for aristocrats, commoners, and experts, though.

...Thurbane, are you a wizard?

Extended signature!

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: The LA-assignment thread II: Where The Em Dash Doesn't Exist

Not for aristocrats, commoners, and experts, though.

...Thurbane, are you a wizard?
    LOL

I'd say I'm probably an Expert. But my wife would certainly agree that I don't have any ranks in Spot: maybe I allocated my ten skills elsewhere.