New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXXII: I Got 99 Guardsmen and Morale Killed One.

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Usually because powergamers don't care about the aesthetics compared to the crunch and it's the other way 'round for fluff fans. Obviously there's a sliding scale and not everyone fits the curve, but that's why I put the word usually at the front of my generalisation.
    Eh. I'm the guy with Deathwatch Scouts and a Land Speeder.

Just don't pretend that you're doing it for anything but the strength of the army list, in which case, why does it matter what colour you paint him?
    Exactly?

You're not building your army for the fluff so paint him however you think looks cool.
    And what looks cool is not having a big blue idiot stand around while the rest of the army is yellow, because it's an army for the table, rather than an army for the fluff.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXXII: I Got 99 Guardsmen and Morale Killed One.

I'm trying to find alternate paint schemes for Guilliman. Unfortunately, as opposed to my general advice for paint schemes, Guilliman isn't the kind of model I can paint six times, pick a scheme I like and Dettol the rest. I've only got the one.
    So what you need to do, is to find some colors that would make Guiliman fit in with the rest of your mainly yellow army?

How about Yellow and White, or Yellow and Orange? Its two colors that matches each other. Just paint him enough yellow to make him blend in with the rest of your yellow dudes, and leave the rest some other color, so you can paint Dorn purely yellow.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Holy ****. I'm sold.

Spoiler: This is the one
    Show

The Ultramarines' chapter badge swaps to the other side, and apparently you just replace it with a DW Terminator pad... I was prepared to use Green Stuff. But Hell, I'll take it!

Spoiler: Paint Schemes don't mean [poop
    Show
    ]

What am I ever going to do with the rest of my Sniper Scouts? Oh noes...This is going to be so awful and unthematic. I can't believe what I have done. Oh noes...
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I do like your deathwatch idea though
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    What am I ever going to do with the rest of my Sniper Scouts? Oh noes...This is going to be so awful and unthematic. I can't believe what I have done. Oh noes...
    Fairly sure you're aiming at the wrong target here.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Fairly sure you're aiming at the wrong target here.
    Anyway, now that I know that all's it takes it a Terminator pad...I'm going to do it.
    The only reason that it wasn't my first choice, was because I thought it would take work.
    Since it doesn't take work, I'm doing it... I only wish my Google-fu had been stronger before this conversation.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-3/

Alaitoc: -1 to hit outside of 12", to the surprise of no one.

1CP Alaitoc Stratagem to force enemies to only hit Rangers in Cover on 6+. So... ok I guess? If that one unit of Rangers is really, really useful to you. And sometimes they will be.

1CP Craftworlds Stratagem to link Fire Prisms, allowing them to shoot out of range or LoF as long as they can "target" another friendly Fire Prism that can shoot that enemy. Neat.

Also Fire Prisms get the Leman Russ "shoot twice if you half move" rule.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

If you want a decent Mortarion paint job, i've seen him look really good in his Legion color scheme. He looks solid in bone white.

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post

1CP Alaitoc Stratagem to force enemies to only hit Rangers in Cover on 6+. So... ok I guess? If that one unit of Rangers is really, really useful to you. And sometimes they will be.

1CP Craftworlds Stratagem to link Fire Prisms, allowing them to shoot out of range or LoF as long as they can "target" another friendly Fire Prism that can shoot that enemy. Neat.

Huh, that Fire Prism ability feels a bit weird, but it seems ok enough.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-10-20 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    If you want a decent Mortarion paint job, i've seen him look really good in his Legion color scheme. He looks solid in bone white.
    Oh, that's totally fine. Looks great. I don't think that's the kind of scheme Drasius was getting at, though.
    (FTR; Typhus looks great in his Legion colours, too)
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-10-20 at 09:54 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, that Fire Prism ability feels a bit weird, but it seems ok enough.
    Looks straight up mean since it lets your Fire Prism fire twice, with reroll to hit and to wound. Thats a pretty significant amount of firepower that will be hammered into the target unit.
    Of course it also forces you to fire both Fire Prisms into the same unit to do so.
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2017-10-20 at 10:30 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Looks straight up mean since it lets your Fire Prism fire twice, with reroll to hit and to wound. Thats a pretty significant amount of firepower that will be hammered into the target unit.
    Of course it also forces you to fire both Fire Prisms into the same unit to do so.
    And if you're Alaitoc, they're sitting semi-safe behind -1 to hit. Which you can block Alpha Strikes with using your Rangers. Fluffy?

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And if you're Alaitoc, they're sitting semi-safe behind -1 to hit.
    Are they? Craftworld bonuses apply to Vehicles? I mean, it wouldn't surprise me. Codex AM already broke the power creep something fierce.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

It just says Craftworld unit. AFAIK Eldar don't have the same issues with force separation that the IG has so it applies to your vehicles and fliers.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Are they? Craftworld bonuses apply to Vehicles? I mean, it wouldn't surprise me. Codex AM already broke the power creep something fierce.
    In the Fire Prism section it specifically says it does. So sounds like everything with the Alaitoc Keyword.

Hey, maybe by the time they get to Necrons the power creep will put us in a good spot.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

I mean I think that the Eldar and IG codicies are on-par right about now. This might just be a transition into a higher power balancing scheme? And overvaluing some of the Space Marine/CSM baseline stuff like their 4+ save and ATSKNF.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    I mean I think that the Eldar and IG codicies are on-par right about now. This might just be a transition into a higher power balancing scheme? And overvaluing some of the Space Marine/CSM baseline stuff like their 4+ save and ATSKNF.
    Even with these Codices, Chaos Soup is going to be the strongest build until they nerf some stuff or start making restrictions for tournament play. Playing against an optimized Chaos army is just some of the most frustrating stuff I've ever done.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

That is very nasty. Because Rangers effectively get a -2 to hit them AND they are now cheaper then Space Marine Scouts. So they'll be one really mean unit. As always, it's the best trait.

Putting it to 6s to hit is barely necessary at that point. But I guess it'll happen occasionally. Or the unit has gotten within 12.

That's very nice. Give your Fire Prisms reroll to hit and to wound to really kill one thing that must die. The extra shots are just the cherry on top.

Overall it looks like Eldar are getting a lot of point decreases, plus a few extra buffs here and there. That's all outside of stratagems and Craftworld Traits. I don't think it's enough to beat Guard, but it is a fairly significant buff, so I expect they'll rapidly end up in the top tier. (Ignoring, as always, Ynnari which are already top tier)

Even with these Codices, Chaos Soup is going to be the strongest build until they nerf some stuff or start making restrictions for tournament play. Playing against an optimized Chaos army is just some of the most frustrating stuff I've ever done.
    Care to expand on this? I mean, what does an optimized Chaos army look like?

Because the strongest build I've seen is a ton of Guardsmen with lots of Leman Russes, Commissars, and Heavy Weapon Teams. Then some Plasma Storm Troopers sprinkled in liberally.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Care to expand on this? I mean, what does an optimized Chaos army look like?

Because the strongest build I've seen is a ton of Guardsmen with lots of Leman Russes, Commissars, and Heavy Weapon Teams. Then some Plasma Storm Troopers sprinkled in liberally.
    I know World Eaters are horrific. Berzerkers just tear through everything through sheer number of attacks.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I know World Eaters are horrific. Berzerkers just tear through everything through sheer number of attacks.
    I'm of the opinion that they should do that. More importantly though, Berzerkers don't really have any durability worth mentioning, if your melee units get the charge you can very easily wipe them out before they get to attack. Or you can just shoot them off the board.

Also, lots of Berzerkers aren't what I'd call 'Chaos Soup'.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I would imagine its a mishmash of various Legions to get the best effects on the right units. World Eater Berserkers for shock troops, Poxwalkers from Death Guard to hold objectives, and some Alpha Legion I bet.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Warp Talons and Sorcerers are also top-tier units.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Berserkers are great, yeah, and of course you can make them Alpha Legion (because apparently that makes sense) and Infiltrate them 9" away before turn 1. If you go first, that's the best thing to a guaranteed charge, and they butcher things without having to even think about getting across the table. But, that's child's play compared to some of the other stuff.

The two Daemon Primarchs are meta-changers (if not meta-breakers) by themselves. Magnus has made his way into nearly every Chaos Soup list I've seen no matter how unfluffy. Magnus + 2 Renegade Knights won a pretty big Canadian Tournament, and now those people are talking about Magnus + Mortarian + Knight.

But then there's also the Termiebomb. Check this out:
    Spoiler: Termie filth
    Show
    -10 Terminators with Combi-Plas and Power Weapons - Mark of Slaanesh, Black Legion
    -Abbadon
    -2x Sorcerers with Jump Packs - Prescience, Warp Time, Delightful Agonies

All Deep Strike in. Buff up the Termies with FNP and +1 to hit (ignoring Plasma shots). Move them with Warp Time. Blast the ever loving frak out of anything in the game with 20 Plasma Shots, hitting on 2+ with rerolls from Abbadon, and then give them VotLW Stratagem to add +1 to wound, so wounding most things on 2+.

Oh, 20 Overcharged Plasma shots hitting on rerollable 2+ didn't kill the thing? They're Slaanesh, so use Endless Cacophony on them to do it again, or just use it again to kill a different target! And remember, everything in the game has splitfire now!

That didn't kill enough? Well, charge in, you still have +1 to hit and Abbadon so they'll chunk basically anything to death as well!

I had the "honor" of playing against one of the top players in the country a while back who ran this:

Battalion (Chaos Soup):
    Malefic Lord
    Malefic Lord
    Changeling
    Brimstones
    Brimstones
    Brimstones
    Cultists (Alpha Legion)

Supreme Command(Black Legion):
    Abbadon
    Sorc (Slaanesh, Black Legion, Prescience, Agonies)
    Sorc (Slaanesh, Black Legion, Prescience, Warptime)
    Termies x10 (Combiplas)

Super Heavy
    Magnus

Or something like that, so Magnus and the Termie Blob hit at basically the same time. And it has been ruled that Magnus benefits from both the Daemon and CSM Tzeentch rules, so you can have him rocking a 3++ rerolling 1s, pooping out Psychic powers like they're going out of style, while still being a beatstick. While the Brims (4++ rerolling 1s) are surrounding the Malefic Lords and Changeling to make a huge area denial zone that blasts out MWs with the characters.

And that was strong more than a month ago or something like that, now Mortarion is out and is basically a massive, nigh-unkillable beatstick that just flies into your lines and if you don't have anything that can effectively kill superheavies (such as, I dunno, Necrons that aren't using FW), then he'll basically solo your entire army.

Brims and Conscripts are two of the best Troops in the game.
    Magnus, Mortarion, and Renegade Knights are probably the best Lord of War units in the game.
    Malefic Lords are broken.
    The CSM Stratagems are just straight up stronger than most of the other books we've seen so far, especially Endless Cacophony on certain units.

Guard are strong, sure, but Chaos are on another level imo, and tournament results have shown that. SoCal open is this weekend, I'm not gonna be surprised if mixed Chaos does it's thing.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

according to reddit:

Spoiler: From the livestream tactics talk:
    Show

• Shining Spears are down 6 points.
    • No Ynnari in the Craftworlds codex. Ynnari armies don't benefit from Craftworlds attributes.
    • Dire Avengers are now 12 points a model (same as Rangers).
    • New power Quickening, essentially Warptime. Pick a friendly Craftworlds unit within 18" pf the caster. It can move as if it were the movement phase.
    • Sounds like Guardians are the same cost (they discussed points costs for troop unit, said 60 points for base Dire Avenger and Ranger squads, Guardians are closer to 80 points (which is what they are currently).
    • Warlord trait on the Avatar allows it to target characters in the shooting phase even if they aren't the closest unit.
    • Biel-tan attribute affects all shuriken weapons in the army.
    • Warlord trait for +2 movement.
    • Webway strike stratagem allows between 1-3 Craftworld units to enter the battlefielf using normal deep strike rules.
    • Skystrike stratagem allows a unit with Fly to appear on the battlefield
    • Banshee mask denies overwatch now instead of always striking first. They can advance and charge.
    • Warwalkers now have an outflank ability
    • Swooping Hawk guns are now Assault 4 instead of Rapid Fire 2, still 24" range.
    • Swooping Hawks have dropped 4 points per model.
    • Craftworlds can field a brigade for "less than 1100 points now."
    • 3 Dark Reapers are now ~80 points. Still have 3+ to hit regardless of modifiers in the shooting phase.
    • Relic: When this models dies, on a 2+ it causes D3 mortal wounds. If those wounds kill a model, the model with the relic remains on the table with a single wound remaining. Only relic the Avatar can take.
    • Phoenix Lords don't benefit or effect Craftworld attributes. Can be taken in any Craftowlrds army without messing up the detachment bonus.
    • New warlord trait: Puritanical leader: All units within 6" of the warlord auto pass morale.
    • Striking Scorpions down in points (didn't say how much).
    • "I saw a really nice comment on Reddit, actually..." Looks like they do browse the sub!
    • No big changes to Wraithknights.
    • Everything in the book benefits from the Craftworlds attribute. Hemlock Wraithfights of Alaitoc now have -2 to hit.
    • Nightspinners down in points.
    • Iyanden Warlord trait: At the start of the turn, roll a dice. On a 6, gain a command point.
    • Falcon Grav tanks down by 50 points.
    • Heavy weapons cheaper now.
    • Warlocks are 35 points.
    • Jain Zarr, all Banshees always fight first within 6" of her.
    • No changes to Storm Guardians.
    • Empower psychic power: +1 to wound rolls for a friendly unit.
    • 6 Runes of Fate. Guide, Doom, Fortune, Mind War, (Asuryan's Willm Executioner possible other 2) 2 other they mentioned quickly.
    • "Harlequins and Ynnari will be in a codex at some point." Implied they'd both get their own codex.
    • Eldrad down in points plus some new lore.
    • Windriders are 18 points with shuriken catapults. 28 for shuriken cannons.
    • Ynnari rules packaged in the Triumverate box are the same as the index Xenos 1 rules.
    • 15 points for scatter lasers
    • "Tyranids are a really, really interesting book! We'll talk about it in a couple of weeks ;)"

Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Berserkers are great, yeah, and of course you can make them Alpha Legion (because apparently that makes sense) and Infiltrate them 9" away before turn 1. If you go first, that's the best thing to a guaranteed charge, and they butcher things without having to even think about getting across the table. But, that's child's play compared to some of the other stuff.

The two Daemon Primarchs are meta-changers (if not meta-breakers) by themselves. Magnus has made his way into nearly every Chaos Soup list I've seen no matter how unfluffy. Magnus + 2 Renegade Knights won a pretty big Canadian Tournament, and now those people are talking about Magnus + Mortarian + Knight.

Show
    -10 Terminators with Combi-Plas and Power Weapons - Mark of Slaanesh, Black Legion
    -Abbadon

All Deep Strike in. Buff up the Termies with FNP and +1 to hit (ignoring Plasma shots). Move them with Warp Time. Blast the ever loving frak out of anything in the game with 20 Plasma Shots, hitting on 2+ with rerolls from Abbadon, and then give them VotLW Stratagem to add +1 to wound, so wounding most things on 2+.

Oh, 20 Overcharged Plasma shots hitting on rerollable 2+ didn't kill the thing? They're Slaanesh, so use Endless Cacophony on them to do it again, or just use it again to kill a different target! And remember, everything in the game has splitfire now!

That didn't kill enough? Well, charge in, you still have +1 to hit and Abbadon so they'll chunk basically anything to death as well!

I had the "honor" of playing against one of the top players in the country a while back who ran this:

Battalion (Chaos Soup):
    Malefic Lord
    Malefic Lord
    Changeling
    Brimstones
    Brimstones
    Brimstones
    Cultists (Alpha Legion)

Abbadon
    Termies x10 (Combiplas)

Super Heavy
    Magnus

Or something like that, so Magnus and the Termie Blob hit at basically the same time. And it has been ruled that Magnus benefits from both the Daemon and CSM Tzeentch rules, so you can have him rocking a 3++ rerolling 1s, pooping out Psychic powers like they're going out of style, while still being a beatstick. While the Brims (4++ rerolling 1s) are surrounding the Malefic Lords and Changeling to make a huge area denial zone that blasts out MWs with the characters.

And that was strong more than a month ago or something like that, now Mortarion is out and is basically a massive, nigh-unkillable beatstick that just flies into your lines and if you don't have anything that can effectively kill superheavies (such as, I dunno, Necrons that aren't using FW), then he'll basically solo your entire army.

Magnus, Mortarion, and Renegade Knights are probably the best Lord of War units in the game.
    The CSM Stratagems are just straight up stronger than most of the other books we've seen so far, especially Endless Cacophony on certain units.

Guard are strong, sure, but Chaos are on another level imo, and tournament results have shown that. SoCal open is this weekend, I'm not gonna be surprised if mixed Chaos does it's thing.
    Its so weird seeing Chaos in the top. Its like their 3rd ed Codex all over again. Also im kinda happy to see Termis being amazing, but that also sounds horrific.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

I just spent some time tooling around, and it seems like Altaioc SpectreStar will be pretty legit. Giving everything -3 to hit you at ranges greater than 12", and -2 the rest of the time seems like something that can pretty easily dominate a meta, especially with how strong the prism rifles are. And if someone makes the mistake of getting within 8 inches for a charge, you can flick on heavy flamer mode and roast people instead.

EDIT: Or even better have Hemlocks flying routes between casting Conceal and flying over your units, or casting reveal as they fly over the enemy and fire the D-Scythes.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2017-10-20 at 01:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    -Abbadon

Battalion (Chaos Soup):
    Malefic Lord
    Malefic Lord
    Changeling
    Brimstones
    Brimstones
    Brimstones
    Cultists (Alpha Legion)

Abbadon
    Termies x10 (Combiplas)

Super Heavy
    Magnus

That is a really nasty combo to be sure. But Guard can flood the field with enough bodies that you can't get within 12 inches of anything valuable with the Deep Strike. Their Leman Russes are T8, so they can even tank () the abuse better. Then it depends on which Leman Russes they are using and what faction it is. Pask for example though can potentially give 4 Leman Russes the ability to reroll how many shots they get. And then they get to reroll 1s because they didn't move. Take 4 Leman Russ Executioners (you can actually get 5, but the Termi-Drop should kill one), for 10 D6 (with rerolls) Overcharged plasma shots rerolling 1s. For cheaper then the Termi-Strat. And I'm not even sure that's the best way to actually do that.

Oh, what are Maelfic Lords? That term seems really familiar but I can't remember what it means.

Though that is a really nasty technique, but my money is on Guard winning the major Tournaments. It's certainly something that takes some serious optimization to overcome. Also where do you get your tournament results? It often takes me a fair bit of digging to find recent stuff.

On a side note: what do you run?

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    according to reddit:

Spoiler: From the livestream tactics talk:
    Show

• Shining Spears are down 6 points.
    • No Ynnari in the Craftworlds codex. Ynnari armies don't benefit from Craftworlds attributes.
    • Dire Avengers are now 12 points a model (same as Rangers).
    • New power Quickening, essentially Warptime. Pick a friendly Craftworlds unit within 18" pf the caster. It can move as if it were the movement phase.
    • Sounds like Guardians are the same cost (they discussed points costs for troop unit, said 60 points for base Dire Avenger and Ranger squads, Guardians are closer to 80 points (which is what they are currently).
    • Warlord trait on the Avatar allows it to target characters in the shooting phase even if they aren't the closest unit.
    • Biel-tan attribute affects all shuriken weapons in the army.
    • Warlord trait for +2 movement.
    • Webway strike stratagem allows between 1-3 Craftworld units to enter the battlefielf using normal deep strike rules.
    • Skystrike stratagem allows a unit with Fly to appear on the battlefield
    • Banshee mask denies overwatch now instead of always striking first. They can advance and charge.
    • Warwalkers now have an outflank ability
    • Swooping Hawk guns are now Assault 4 instead of Rapid Fire 2, still 24" range.
    • Swooping Hawks have dropped 4 points per model.
    • Craftworlds can field a brigade for "less than 1100 points now."
    • 3 Dark Reapers are now ~80 points. Still have 3+ to hit regardless of modifiers in the shooting phase.
    • Relic: When this models dies, on a 2+ it causes D3 mortal wounds. If those wounds kill a model, the model with the relic remains on the table with a single wound remaining. Only relic the Avatar can take.
    • Phoenix Lords don't benefit or effect Craftworld attributes. Can be taken in any Craftowlrds army without messing up the detachment bonus.
    • New warlord trait: Puritanical leader: All units within 6" of the warlord auto pass morale.
    • Striking Scorpions down in points (didn't say how much).
    • "I saw a really nice comment on Reddit, actually..." Looks like they do browse the sub!
    • No big changes to Wraithknights.
    • Everything in the book benefits from the Craftworlds attribute. Hemlock Wraithfights of Alaitoc now have -2 to hit.
    • Nightspinners down in points.
    • Iyanden Warlord trait: At the start of the turn, roll a dice. On a 6, gain a command point.
    • Falcon Grav tanks down by 50 points.
    • Heavy weapons cheaper now.
    • Warlocks are 35 points.
    • Jain Zarr, all Banshees always fight first within 6" of her.
    • No changes to Storm Guardians.
    • Empower psychic power: +1 to wound rolls for a friendly unit.
    • 6 Runes of Fate. Guide, Doom, Fortune, Mind War, (Asuryan's Willm Executioner possible other 2) 2 other they mentioned quickly.
    • "Harlequins and Ynnari will be in a codex at some point." Implied they'd both get their own codex.
    • Eldrad down in points plus some new lore.
    • Windriders are 18 points with shuriken catapults. 28 for shuriken cannons.
    • Ynnari rules packaged in the Triumverate box are the same as the index Xenos 1 rules.
    • 15 points for scatter lasers
    • "Tyranids are a really, really interesting book! We'll talk about it in a couple of weeks ;)"

Geeze, those are some massive upgrades. I'm worried Eldar might get too big of a buff now.

I wonder if they are going to extend Chapter Tactics to every unit in the formation when Chapter Approved comes out?
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2017-10-20 at 01:55 PM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, what are Maelfic Lords? That term seems really familiar but I can't remember what it means.
    They're Chaos's cheap Smite bots. I think they're a type of deamon. Chaos is really strong, as the only thing they lack from what guard has is non-LoS weaponry.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Malefic Lords are Renegades and Heretics equivalent of Primaris Psykers. They just trundle around smiting stuff and have a chance to turn into a possessed if they perils.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

That is a really nasty combo to be sure. But Guard can flood the field with enough bodies that you can't get within 12 inches of anything valuable with the Deep Strike. Their Leman Russes are T8, so they can even tank () the abuse better. Then it depends on which Leman Russes they are using and what faction it is. Pask for example though can potentially give 4 Leman Russes the ability to reroll how many shots they get. And then they get to reroll 1s because they didn't move. Take 4 Leman Russ Executioners (you can actually get 5, but the Termi-Drop should kill one), for 10 D6 (with rerolls) Overcharged plasma shots rerolling 1s. For cheaper then the Termi-Strat. And I'm not even sure that's the best way to actually do that.

Though that is a really nasty technique, but my money is on Guard winning the major Tournaments. It's certainly something that takes some serious optimization to overcome. Also where do you get your tournament results? It often takes me a fair bit of digging to find recent stuff.

On a side note: what do you run?
    Bubble Wrapping is strong, but it's not like Chaos can't clear it. Morty or Maggy can hit lines and easily drop a couple dozen infantry per turn between shooting, spells, melee, and other abilities. Not to mention Renegades and Heretics has their own artillery and just as good if not better bubble wrap, etc.

Not saying Guard are bad, they're the next strongest and probably have the "easiest" time against Chaos. Honestly in my ranking right now it's like Chaos Mix at S Tier, Guard at A+ Tier, and then other Codex armies, and then everything else, with Necrons, DE, and non-Commanderspam Tau on bottom.

I was running Guard, for what it's worth. It wasn't an optimized list - it was before the Codex came out, and instead of running 100 Conscripts I was running 0 because I'm not about that life. But even with 6 Artillery pieces and a crapton of drop units, I got rolled like it was nothing.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Bubble Wrapping is strong, but it's not like Chaos can't clear it. Morty or Maggy can hit lines and easily drop a couple dozen infantry per turn between shooting, spells, melee, and other abilities. Not to mention Renegades and Heretics has their own artillery and just as good if not better bubble wrap, etc.

Not saying Guard are bad, they're the next strongest and probably have the "easiest" time against Chaos. Honestly in my ranking right now it's like Chaos Mix at S Tier, Guard at A+ Tier, and then other Codex armies, and then everything else, with Necrons, DE, and non-Commanderspam Tau on bottom.

I was running Guard, for what it's worth. It wasn't an optimized list - it was before the Codex came out, and instead of running 100 Conscripts I was running 0 because I'm not about that life. But even with 6 Artillery pieces and a crapton of drop units, I got rolled like it was nothing.
    How are they getting a couple dozen? Magnus is D6 from Smite, 2d6 if you're lucky. His other two powers are likely +1 to his own invulnerable save, and then using Warptime on something else. Then 7 attacks. 10 Dead guardsmen easy. Maybe an even dozen if he's lucky.

Mortarion has a similar thing, Phosphex bombs will only get around 7 hits, and kill less. Host of Plagues for a few more, and then powers. He can get 12 or more with Host of Plagues, but the range is short, and he's not doing it on turn 1, not with the list you showed me anyways.

Regardless, none of that happens Turn 1, so that'll give the Guard player a full turn to throw everything at the Primarch, because the rest of the points are sunk into the Termi-Drop.

Bolded for emphasis, I did say that Termi-Drop strategy would take some serious optimization to overcome. And Guard received some pretty ridiculous buffs when their codex came out.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

So in anticipation of the Codex, I've scrapped together an Eldar list at the current point values, just to play with an idea:
    Spoiler: Three-Part Harmony
    Show
    3x Hemlock Wraithfighters w/ Conceal/Reveal
    1x Autarch with Mandiblasters, two Avenger Shuriken Catapults, and Shuriken Pistol
    1x Farseer with Singing Spear, Guide, and Doom
    4x 10-man Shadow Spectre Units with Exarch with Prism Rifle
    1x Wave Serpent with Twin Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Crystal Targeting Array, Spirits Stones, Star Engines, and Vectored Engines

The idea is to have the Wraithfighters flying in a triangular formation (hence the army name), alternating between two casting conceal over the Spectre Units (and Farseer and Autarch since they'll be with them), and one casting Reveal on whatever needs to be revealed, while the Spectres sit at 12+" using the Altaioc trait, Conceal, and holo-fields to put themselves at -3 to hit. The Wave Serpent is just for heavy fire support, and getting the Autarch and Farseer (and first squad of Spectres) into position during the first round of the game.