New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Spoiler: RWBY Vol 6 Ch 3
    Show
    Was LaZodiac not a fan of LoK Vol 2? I'm guessing not by the way you phrased all of this.
    Spoiler: Vol 6 Chapter 3
    Show
    I will let LaZodiac speak for herself, but from my memory of 2013 she had tensions with the subject matter and the apllication of the subject matter.

-----

But to answer your question with my own theory. What is Salem's motivation? What is her goal?

We don't know. Is the answer.

-----

But we have seen "Tensions' between Salem and previous obstacles and other individuals. Her first tension is with her father and how her fauther is her originator but set her literally in a prison and she was unhappy there. Lets look up the meaning of some words.

Quote Originally Posted by Code Geass R2E20

Schneizel: The true nature of people is this. They want to be controlled by their nation, their religion, their traditions, and by figures of grand authority. Above all, the emperor of Britannia must play his part.

Gino: So now you’re the one to play that part, Your Highness? The grand authority?

Schneizel: If I’m called upon to do it, then perhaps…

Cornelia: Perhaps… How so?

Schneizel: Did know that the word authority actually has another meaning?
    The answer to Schneizel riddle is this, Authority the word descends from Latin Auctor.

Auctor from augeō (“to increase, nourish”) +‎ -tor

• (poetic) the Creator, God
    • (figuratively) authorship, agency, encouragement
    • author
    • seller, vendor
    • one who gives increase (hence: an originator, causer, doer, founder)
    • master, leader

Authority comes from Auctor and Authority means legitimacy and also power to give commands and enforce orders, and a person who is seen as reliable. Note the word author like writting a book also comes from Latin Auctor.

The underlying subtext with Schneizel quote is that authority is to be a god but also the archetype which all other desires form from your structure. Aka you are the "zero" the "axis mundi" (center of the world) and you create a story / structure from this zero point. Only a contra mundi (one who opposes the world) can oppose a god at his point where the intersection of heaven and earth meet (the axis mundi.) And like a god is zero, the one who opposes said god is also zero.

Much like another charismatic character

-----

Back to the fairytale
    Back to the show
    Back to the wall
    And there's nowhere to go
    Hopeless and desperate
    All paths adverse
    Things lookin' bleak
    Yeah, and they're 'bout to get worse

So back to Salem and her motivations. Salem originator was her father and he locked her in a prison. Salem does not respect the authority of her father for her father actions were not beneficial to her and she could see that they were unjust. Only by freedom and respect by another did Salem find a desire that she was compatible with but also one that she respected / was limited by. (A freedom that she saw as just for she had a partner that treated her as an authority goddess aka Wife of Bath and other archetypal stories, you want your woman to be beautiful, power, rich, but also free to make her own decisions / desires. and if you give her both she will be happy and loyal to you. I will not provide more links on this subject for it is religion rules of this forum but google "Loathly lady" for it is a common archetypal type of myth you find in many histories and sometimes religions.)

Now fast forward to Ozma death. She lost all that, she losted a partner who thought her beautiful, good, and so on and so on. She is now powerless again, in the way that she cares about with her desires.

She is then played around with by two indifferent gods who do not care about her subjective suffering, do not care about her world, do not try to comfort her. And Salem ("Peace") thus rejects these gods authority, much like she rejected the legitimacy of her father's forced authority onto her. The Gods have the power to change but they refuse to change or come to a new understanding, only the primal war between brothers (which they will choose to ignore to scold the mortals) must remain. The gods did not seek to instruct or model, or dialogue, or even anarrate why this has to be, instead they merely stated with their judgement, their contempt this is the way it has to be for I said so. Well the gods can change for we seen them change.

The gods are not all knowing, nor are they all just (just world fallacy) and thus Salem has enough of their BS. Why should the Gods have authority? Why do they have legimiatcy? Why do they have power?

-----

Now what are Salem's current motivations / drives / goals? Who knows? Remember she was given happiness again, an eternal summer in her little guardian / house in the middle of the forest. Yet Salem and Ozma sought to build a bigger and better world outside of their small forest away from it all. They sought to become Gods for they think it will help humanity or something.

Only for Ozma to change his mind. Only for Salem to learn more about the relics instruments with godlike power or they can be used to summon the gods. Perhaps Salem wants to summon the gods again for reasons. Or perhaps she just wants to borrow said power for we already know she derives powers from both pools, the one of the life tree and the one of grim and darkness. Remember was changed by these two pools, one gave her immortality the other a form of power seperate form immortality and magic (tied to the grimm.)

Does she seek the relics in order to never lose again? Or to have the power and authorship of this world? Or she wants to be a good teacher / instructor for humans for she resents her 3 father figures who provided no such instruction to her and she wants to be a good mother to humans? Or perhaps her goal is not proper didactic instruction (didactic to teach especially moral instruction) for she is also a person who is willing to use lies and prey on other people's motivations and use them as tools for her own ends (see her first war against the gods when she gathered other magic using humans and promised them immortality.) Remember Salem never had a teacher, the closest thing would be Ozma and her own desires, desires born from her seeing the world as unjust beginning with her father (and Ozma gave her not just freedom but also modeled a theory of morality that we need to improve this world, it is not just about her, but simultaneously she has a tension where her entire experience is invalidated when she does not consider what is important to her and she trusts in others.)

We don't know her motivations, desires, and goals. But we got lots of material we can use to understand salem and also project our own theories and guesses.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #902
    Colossus in the Playground

I have been alerted to words regarding Legend of Korra.

Season 2 is the worst by far but I did LIKE it. It just had flaws that even I, someone who likes it, cannot disagree with being obvious flaws. The series redeems itself in season 3 and 4 so hard that I honestly don't care though.

I'll watch more of the bloodpact tomorrow because I was busy recording stuff and trying to fix my microphone.

My thoughts on RWBY should be clear in that I accidently spelt "fix a knife" when writing "fix my microphone" up there.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    My thoughts on RWBY should be clear in that I accidently spelt "fix a knife" when writing "fix my microphone" up there.
    Hey, I think it might be possible to say we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel of bad writing. That doesn't mean we are near good writing yet, but hey progress.
    Last edited by jindra34; 2018-11-10 at 09:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #904

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Hey, I think it might be possible to say we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel of bad writing. That doesn't mean we are near good writing yet, but hey progress.
    People have been saying that since season 3.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    How do I destroy Salem? You can't!. Well the follow up question should be a less specific question. Knowledge Jinn can be literal Senex (aka unhelpful old man / woman.) They may answer your questions literally instead of constructively.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Show

She is then played around with by two indifferent gods who do not care about her subjective suffering, do not care about her world, do not try to comfort her. And Salem ("Peace") thus rejects these gods authority, much like she rejected the legitimacy of her father's forced authority onto her. The Gods have the power to change but they refuse to change or come to a new understanding, only the primal war between brothers (which they will choose to ignore to scold the mortals) must remain. The gods did not seek to instruct or model, or dialogue, or even anarrate why this has to be, instead they merely stated with their judgement, their contempt this is the way it has to be for I said so. Well the gods can change for we seen them change.

The gods are not all knowing, nor are they all just (just world fallacy) and thus Salem has enough of their BS. Why should the Gods have authority? Why do they have legimiatcy? Why do they have power?
    Spoiler: RWBY Vol 6 Ch 3
    Show
    This bears correction because it is a very important correction but neither of the gods were indifferent to Salem or what she wanted. Nor do they not try to comfort her, both of them do

The Older Brother's first sentence is to say how sorry he is for Salem and once she makes her request he tries to explain why this cannot be allowed to happen and Salem shuts him down. For good reasons, but it doesn't change the fact that he tried to comfort her and explain his decision but she didn't want to hear any of it. This is a good mark for a villainous character.

The Younger Brother ALSO feels sorry for Salem and when asked to bring Ozma back does it immediately, not entirely for altruistic reasons but there is still alturism mixed in there. Its not until the Older Brother shows up and confronts him that it becomes about their arguments with each other and then Salem's deceptions.

Its a relatively minor detail in the grand scheme but its an important one characterization wise.

Show
    We don't know her motivations, desires, and goals. But we got lots of material we can use to understand salem and also project our own theories and guesses.
    Spoiler: RWBY V 6 CH3
    Show
    This is legitimately my favorite thing this chapter did. Before you could project quite literally anything on Salem and it made sense, she was a mystery outside of how others responded to and treated her. She still is for a large part and we know her goals (acquire maiden, use maiden to open vault, acquire Relic, wash, rinse, repeat) and her motivations...but not her desires or ultimate goals but now there is fertile ground to muse about it!

I have been alerted to words regarding Legend of Korra.

Season 2 is the worst by far but I did LIKE it. It just had flaws that even I, someone who likes it, cannot disagree with being obvious flaws. The series redeems itself in season 3 and 4 so hard that I honestly don't care though.
    Season two had my favorite episode in A:TLA and LoK by such a large margin that its impossible for me to dislike Spirits that badly. Personally I wasn't a big fan of Season 4 though, but that might be because I came to it long after my fandom hype for LoK had faded which is never a good thing.

Show
    How do I destroy Salem? You can't!. Well the follow up question should be a less specific question. Knowledge Jinn can be literal Senex (aka unhelpful old man / woman.) They may answer your questions literally instead of constructively.
    Spoiler: Vol 6 Ch 3
    Show
    Jinn's job isn't to answer the question you should have asked, its to answer the question that you do ask. Even then..she was likely more constructive than we think. We know for a fact that Ozpin can't destroy Salem, but Jinn doesn't say its impossible, just that Ozpin can't do it.

Considering Jinn can't answer questions about the future she wouldn't be able to say 'well if you reincarnated in the body of a silver-eyed warrior, you could destroy Salem', the answer is quite simply that Ozpin can't. Someone else with a different set of circumstances like a Maiden or Ruby? Maybe...maybe...

Spoiler: Vol 6 Ch 3 Unrelated Theory
    Show
    Knowing what was revealed in this episode, something struck me. Each of the country's emblems are based off of the relic that they possess. Mistral had the Lantern of Knowledge, Atlas has the Spear of Creation, Vacuo has the Sword of Destruction, and Vale has the Crown of Will.

That's not the theory though, that's just a fact it seems.

Remember the King of Vale who seems to pretty obviously be an Oz-reincarnation? The thing that struck me on reflection is that WoR did two very distinct things with the King of Vale who single-handedly ended the Great War. First, his actual symbol is very distinctly broken up into 'gold parts' and 'not gold' parts. The green is him...but his sword and crown are golden and the alliance he represented was Vacuo and Vale. The other thing they focused on was the raw destructive power of the sword and NOT the cane the King was also mentioned to have in his possession, I think that pretty obviously is just a hint that the King was Ozpin.

So what I'm thinking is...when it looked like Mistral and Atlas were going to overwhelm Vacuo and likely end the possibility of true harmony among mankind....did Ozpin retrieve the Crown of Will and Sword of Destruction to lay waste to Mistral and Atlas' armies?! Cause we know from this chapter that he didn't just use questions to find the other relics, he used them to figure out what they did. Vacuo STILL hasn't recovered from the King of Vale's attack and we know Ozpin has been steadily growing weaker over time, not stronger..so it would all seem to point to the fact Ozpin had outside help.

So if we're wondering what the relics are capable of, apparently the Sword of Destruction glassed Vacuo. That's my theory anyway!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #907
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    That's not my reading of the OP:
    Huh. It seems that this change has broken the rule. The intent was to give approximately week from PUBLIC release. As the public release was only one day after the paid release, it wasn't necessary to specify it directly in the rule at the time.

As of right this moment I'm going to make a band-aid change to the rule to make it one week from public release, then ask the thread if this is how we would like it to remain.

After a new episode is posted, discussion about that episode will be considered spoilers until the episode has been available to view publicly and without charge for a full week.

I would assume that the majority of people here do not have a RoosterTeeth FIRST membership, so this accommodates them allowing a full week to watch without risk of spoilers, as the rule was originally intended. But, this also means paid up members will have to use spoiler boxes for a full week.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #908

Now would also be a good time to make a quick reminder about these two thread rules:

1. All spoiler boxes must indicate clearly in the spoiler box's title (i.e. [spoiler=title]) what episode it is spoiling (even when replying), including the volume and episode number.
    2. For the purposes of this thread, please never use a spoiler box without a title. If it's not a spoiler but, for example, you're just keeping things such as images, off topic discussion, or walls of text tidy, please mention that in the spoiler box title. When breaking up quotes, always remember to reinsert the spoiler box title.

And you are welcome to politely remind each other about these rules, especially when someone is new to the thread.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    After a new episode is posted, discussion about that episode will be considered spoilers until the episode has been available to view publicly and without charge for a full week.

I would assume that the majority of people here do not have a RoosterTeeth FIRST membership, so this accommodates them allowing a full week to watch without risk of spoilers, as the rule was originally intended. But, this also means paid up members will have to use spoiler boxes for a full week.
    When is RWBY available for free to the public? I believe we are talking about the one week delay for both Rooster Teeth's own website and Crunchyroll, assuming the episodes that appear on a certain popular YouTube alternative are unauthorized.

This means spoiling discussions for two full weeks from when the video posts, although it appears a good many of us watches the new episodes when they are released on FIRST. It seems excessive. Even those getting the show at the free release 7 days later will want to watch it sooner rather than later to catch up on the discussion. We will usually move on from discussing an episode within a day or two of the public release.

Also, keeping spoilers much longer than that risks confusion, because, regardless of intention, people do mix up the new FIRST-only episode spoilers with the old episode spoilers.

I think keeping an old episode spoiled so long risks mixing the old spoilers with the new spoilers, and creating more of a problem for people who watch the public release, not fewer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

10. - Top - End - #910

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    When is RWBY available for free to the public? I believe we are talking about the one week delay for both Rooster Teeth's own website and Crunchyroll, assuming the episodes that appear on a certain popular YouTube alternative are unauthorized.

This means spoiling discussions for two full weeks from when the video posts, although it appears a good many of us watches the new episodes when they are released on FIRST. It seems excessive. Even those getting the show at the free release 7 days later will want to watch it sooner rather than later to catch up on the discussion. We will usually move on from discussing an episode within a day or two of the public release.

Also, keeping spoilers much longer than that risks confusion, because, regardless of intention, people do mix up the new FIRST-only episode spoilers with the old episode spoilers.

I think keeping an old episode spoiled so long risks mixing the old spoilers with the new spoilers, and creating more of a problem for people who watch the public release, not fewer.
    It is available to the public for free exactly one week after it is available to paid FIRST members (and some other paid sites).

Any mirror on YouTube is definitely 100% unauthorised, and while I feel that what RoosterTeeth is doing is going to drive people to places like that, we do not want to contribute to that. Therefore, we must allow people enough time to watch it without risking spoilers.

Two weeks from first (paid) release does seem a bit long, and that is one of my main concerns with the current band-aid rule, but for multiple reasons we do need to allow enough time for people who haven't paid for a subscription service, such as RoosterTeeth FIRST, that has RWBY.

What do people think of 72 hours (3 days) from first free release?

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

I would be fine with three days.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    What do people think of 72 hours (3 days) from first free release?
    That should do it! Ten days for people able to view it when it first comes out and three days for those on the public release. Personally, I'm going to keep it in spoilers longer just for organizational purposes honestly, but its nice to have clarification.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ettin in the Playground

3 days after the "free" viewing would be good for me!

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with the 72-hours after free release delay.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Troll in the Playground

72 hours feels like the right length but since there's a wrinkle based on when the release comes out. The free release comes out Saturday morning, and so that last day (Monday to Tuesday) doesn’t feel like a day too many people are going to actually watch. Most are going to watch over the weekend, and if not they are probably not invested in the series and the discussion to specifically watch it Monday evening.

On another note, it appears to me YouTube is good about keeping the actual episode clear on its server but perhaps the endless RWBY reviews keep raw episode away from my search results. I wonder why that certain other site site that’s funded by media giants isn't taking down these videos. Additionally, Google is required remove RT episodes from search results upon request, but they haven't. There's something weird about how RWBY is being posted and immediately hitting the first search slot on google upon the FIRST release. It seems like this just shouldn't be...although maybe I just don't know what's going on behind big YouTube alternative.

Btw, VRV is an alternative to RoosterTeeth in that they get the RWBY release on the same day as FIRST for their premium members. I wonder if anyone uses that site, since it has a lot of Crunchyroll content as well as indie content for the same price as a Crunchyroll or RT FIRST subscription.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2018-11-12 at 11:52 AM.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ettin in the Playground

. Btw, VRV is an alternative to RoosterTeeth in that they get the RWBY release on the same day as FIRST for their premium members. I wonder if anyone uses that site, since it has a lot of Crunchyroll content as well as indie content for the same price as a Crunchyroll or RT FIRST subscription.
    I use VrV and it works pretty great, got a lot of stuff on there and the platform itself seems way more stable than Crunchyroll which I had serious problems with. Note I have a VrV premium account and this was compared to a free Crunchyroll one.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    I use VrV and it works pretty great, got a lot of stuff on there and the platform itself seems way more stable than Crunchyroll which I had serious problems with. Note I have a VrV premium account and this was compared to a free Crunchyroll one.
    As someone who had endless reliability issues with Crunchyroll whether free or premium, the solution is the Crunchyroll HTML5 extension, which makes Crunchyroll videos play using HTML instead of Flash. It's ridiculous that they haven't already made the change themselves, but at least one can work around it.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2018-11-12 at 02:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #918

I am working on the new episode as we speak, but some news has come to my attention. They're cursing me with manga to read as well again.

A second go around of trying to do a RWBY manga!

By Bunta Kinami, who I can't find anything on other than this. At least the backgrounds look nice (read exist) this time.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ettin in the Playground

I am working on the new episode as we speak, but some news has come to my attention. They're cursing me with manga to read as well again.

By Bunta Kinami, who I can't find anything on other than this. At least the backgrounds look nice (read exist) this time.
    Prepare for your greatest moments;
    Prepare for your finest hour
    The dream that you've always dreamed is suddenly about to flower
    We are lightning
    Straying from the thunder
    Miracles of ancient wonder

This will be the manga we've waited for
    This will be the manga we open up the door
    I don't wanna hear your absolution;
    Hope you're ready for a revolution
    Welcome to a world of new solutions
    Welcome to a world of bloody evolution
    In time, your heart will open minds
    A story will be told
    And victory is in a simple soul

----

I plan on being disappointed for its RWBY afterall—— but hope springs eternal. Something something RWBY is Pandora's box / pithos.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You should know by now that the first page is there so you can use your imagination on the rest of the blank pages.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Okay, so something that bothered me
    Spoiler: V6 E3
    Show

The God's Punishment for Salem doesn't make much sense.

So, she goes to GlowBro, and asks him to resurrect Ozma. He refuses, and she runs off.

Then, she goes to EdgeBro and asks the same thing. EdgeBro, grateful for a Human to petition him at all, agrees.

GlowBro then arrives and tells EdgeBro that he shouldn't resurrect Ozma, EdgeBro disagrees until GlowBro tells him that Salem came to him FIRST. EdgeBro, unhappy with being Salem's second choice, changes his mind about her request, and she is cursed to be immortal until she learns proper respect for the balance of life and death.

So, at what point did she commit her actual Crime that made her deserving such a harsh punishment?

It wasn't when she asked GlowBro for help, because he could have punished her then, but didn't. So clearly "Petitioning the Gods for a Ressurection" isn't a punishable offense here.

As far as I can tell, her crime was asking EdgeBro for help AFTER GlowBro had already refused her. In doing so she refused GlowBro's Divine Judgement that Ozma shouldn't be resurrected, and made EdgeBro feel special, thinking that he had been her first choice. Although in that case the crime was more "Disrespecting the Gods" than "Failing to respect the importance of life and death", so the punishment doesn't make much sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #922
    Ettin in the Playground

BRC the answer is Yes to the points you made, and thus I repeat all the things I said before in my response to Vol 6 Episode 3.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

As for Salem's Motives

Show

So, if we assume Jinn to be a source of Objective Truth, we know that the pool corrupted her into a being that desired nothing but destruction.

That said, when we see her again, she isn't acting like she wants to destroy the world. She's living in the woods minding her own business to the best of our knowledge. She's certainly gained a mean streak, since she pushes Ozma to conquer the world with her. When he tries to leave she kills him and their daughters.

So, she's certainly swimming in the deep end of the Alignment Pool, either from her bath in the Grimm Soup, or any of the thousand non-supernatural reasons why she might have gone evil, but that doesn't tell us her Motive. It certainly seems like she would have been happy to keep living with Ozma, raising their family, ruling their kingdom and conquering the world together, but that could have just been her way of Bringing About Destruction. Perhaps she was just playing the loving queen to get Ozma to help her spread destruction. Perhaps she genuinely loved him still, but everything that had happened had made her cruel and ruthless, so she had no scruples about massacring countless innocents in pursuit of her Husband's goals.

Regardless, despite Jinn's line about the Pool turning her into a creature that desired only destruction, Salem doesn't act like she's mindlessly pursuing some abstract goal of Destroying Everything, she seems to be more pragmatic than that.

So, Motive 1) Dark Overlord of the World: Salem is trying to fulfill Ozpin's Mission of "Uniting Humanity", she just wants to do so in her own way, which means killing 90% of humanity and ruling over the rest as an immortal god-queen.

Option 2) "Get Back Here", she wants to use the Relics to summon the Gods back, perhaps to take another swing at killing them. It's possible that at some point she got her hands on the Knowledge Lamp, and used it to learn how to kill the Gods (The Relics are divine creations, maybe they have the power to kill the gods).

Option 3) She IS just an agent of destruction. Maybe She agrees with Ozpin that the Gods will just destroy the world again if they get summoned back too early, or she really just wants the Destruction relic, and the rest of them are just very useful for getting her hands on it.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #924
    Troll in the Playground

Is this totally new and starting afresh, or will it pick up where the old one left off?

Also, by the new episode you mean V6E2 right? Which would make a nice counterpoint to my questioning the 72 hours rule....or a point about how we're going to be confusing which episode we're talking about going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Show

So, she goes to GlowBro, and asks him to resurrect Ozma. He refuses, and she runs off.

Then, she goes to EdgeBro and asks the same thing. EdgeBro, grateful for a Human to petition him at all, agrees.

GlowBro then arrives and tells EdgeBro that he shouldn't resurrect Ozma, EdgeBro disagrees until GlowBro tells him that Salem came to him FIRST. EdgeBro, unhappy with being Salem's second choice, changes his mind about her request, and she is cursed to be immortal until she learns proper respect for the balance of life and death.

So, at what point did she commit her actual Crime that made her deserving such a harsh punishment?

It wasn't when she asked GlowBro for help, because he could have punished her then, but didn't. So clearly "Petitioning the Gods for a Ressurection" isn't a punishable offense here.

As far as I can tell, her crime was asking EdgeBro for help AFTER GlowBro had already refused her. In doing so she refused GlowBro's Divine Judgement that Ozma shouldn't be resurrected, and made EdgeBro feel special, thinking that he had been her first choice. Although in that case the crime was more "Disrespecting the Gods" than "Failing to respect the importance of life and death", so the punishment doesn't make much sense.
    Spoiler: V6 E3 Gods' Punishment
    Show
    So it appears the gods are really punishing Salem for disrespecting them. We aren't told that they are perfect beings, quite the opposite. At least the God of Light is consistent in wanting Salem punished for not taking his answer of "you can't mess with the barrier of life and death."

Here's the twist though. After saying this, after Salem lead a warband against the gods, after wiping out humanity, the god of light finally resurrects Ozma, essentially fulfilling Salem's initial request! This after he lectures about how such would violate the delicate balance of life and death!

Of course, what he does is turn Ozma immediately against Salem by warning him not to approach her and giving Ozma a mission that light-god already indicated he knows that Salem will oppose. So why is Ozma, who is uniquely unqualified due to a conflict of interest he alone possesses, given the task of up-lifting humanity so that the gods may return? Also, why does lightgod, concerned enough about the world he created to allow Salem to basically act as Remnant's version of the devil,

Regardless of how much sense the gods actions make or don't, I wouldn't put this in the pothole category or treat it as a knock against the show. This sort of thing is par for the course if you watch anime, or tv, or movies. Otherwise you are basically telling me that RWBY is somehow unique in its crimes against common-sense.

What you should be asking about is...doesn't this story completely contradict everything we were told about how the maiden's came to be! The first maidens are Oz and Salem's children. So why do they have to be female? Is the maidens' association with the seasons complete B.S.? Is it just coincidence that the maidens are spread out in seasonally appropriately seasonally-themed parts of Remnant?

Other questions include: If humanity was all destroyed, how did they arise again
    Spoiler: speculation
    Show
    (I'm guessing lightgod's pond btw, unless its related to dust)
    ? What is dust (ok that seems pretty obvious)
    Spoiler: speculation
    Show
    moonrock mixed with the essence of the departing gods, who couldn't be bothered to swerve on their way out
    ? Finally, why are there Faunus?

While this episode answers central questions about the origin of the world and Salem, it also highlights the fact that big questions remain.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Show

The God's actions make sense if you consider them along with a lot of mythologies, they're deeply petty and very powerful.

Salem disrespected them, so they give her a horrible punishment and pretend it's for some loftier purpose like teaching her a valuable lesson.

As for Ozma's Ressurection, IIRC GlowBro's argument was that bringing Ozma back would disrupt some sort of balance. The current method, with Ozpin as an entity that possesses, and eventually subsumes, a series of hosts technically doesn't violate that balance.
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Show

Show
    Because Salem got an answer from GlowBro. It was no because it would disrupt the balance and fail to respect the importance of life and death and all that.

Salem said screw that and didn't just ask EdgeBro but manipulated him into disrupting that balance despite already being told it couldn't happen.

27. - Top - End - #927

Is this totally new and starting afresh, or will it pick up where the old one left off?

Also, by the new episode you mean V6E2 right? Which would make a nice counterpoint to my questioning the 72 hours rule....or a point about how we're going to be confusing which episode we're talking about going forward.
    It's a totally new manga starting fresh, because surprising no one RWBY is having a hard time finding footing in Japan.

They're publishing doujinishi officially as collected volumes. That's how they're selling it, as a collection of fan works.

also I did not finish thte episode today because I got tired and had to cook food. I meant episode 2, which I will do tomorrow!

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a totally new manga starting fresh, because surprising no one RWBY is having a hard time finding footing in Japan.
    ...That is actually very surprising. RWBY has an all-star Japanese dub cast, has a massive merch presence, and by all accounts is very popular. I think it honestly has more to do with people just not enjoying the first manga. I think LaZodiac is the only person I've met who is a fan of it.

29. - Top - End - #929

As there seems to be no objections, I'm going to formalise the rule.

Discussion about a particular episode will be considered spoilers (and must be in a correctly labelled spoiler box) until a full week has passed since it was posted anywhere (e.g. paid subscription services such as RoosterTeeth FIRST) or 72 hours (3 days) after it is posted for everyone to view without charge on RoosterTeeth's own website, whichever is the latest.

(Note: This means it will never be less than one week and, based on the current release schedule, will usually be 10 days from paid subscription release.)

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigh I just realized while talking to other people about other things that the big problem with RWBY is time and space. And how the writers going back to Monty but also the current writers are not good at the different times and space.

Let me explain

There are 4 different time horizons you should be familiar with when you tell a story for there are 5 different time events.

• Story
    • Act (Irrevocable change occurs between each act, you can not undo, you can not redo, you must only advance)
    • Sequence
    • Scene
    • Beat

Beats are moments of change, so small and so atomic that you can't list them out with words while they are happening but if you slow down the time horizon you can with words or storyboards tell how each beat alters something in the sequence.

Many beats together create a scene. But also realize beat can come from multiple sources not just visual and audio, but also things like music, still images vs color, blah, blah blah. ALl this contrast and affinity are blended together to create a scene and just merely altering one thing can create a beat.

Many sequences together create a scene

Many sequences together create an Act, and an act is defined by you can't undo and something is different before and after an act. An act is an event and the act can be very small or very long but the story has moved forward after the event.

And a story is a collection of acts.

-----

Well with RWBY all the writers / animators may be good at one of these 4 different time horizons but they are not good at the other ones and thus the story does not gel as well as it should. Telling a good story is 4th dimensional chess and the storytellers in RWBY don't have the instincts to sense how to fix this, and thus they must get energies from other people to help make this all work in a synchronous fashion.

Individuals are often not good at all 4 different time horizons in story writting and that is okay. This is why often writting for movies, tv shows, etc can be a multiple person enterprise, iti s a collaborative thing. You can get other people to help you with your weaknesses and together you can create a great FLOW. For often the best storytelling occurs when you can move all 4 of these individual gears at the right pace in order to movie the story forward.

-----

Blah, blah, blah I am winning here for RWBY is good at specific aspects of this time horizon here. I see such good raw potential, only for them to mess up and it I find it frustrating for I want to love this show so much. For example Monty was so very good at realizing battles have a beat, a music, a dance to them and he was great at layering of these many beats in fight scenes to make a symphony of experiences that just had a synchronous flow to it. (See the Nevermore fight).

Yet in other domains it is just cringe worthiness.

And with Monty gone roughly about Season 3 other aspects of the series has greatly improved while simultaneously other aspects feel like something is missing. Sigh this is just frustrating.