New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XIV: Good? Bad? I'm the one with the Thu'um!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Never even heard of it. I'm a pretty low-mod person, mostly using a few quality of life mods to cover things I dislike... like one to make people run from dragons and vampires, another to fix the transmutation order for Transmute, and the ability to adopt way too many children.

I find werewolves to be fun... I go in a big arc from northwest Falkreath until I'm raged to near Whiterun, eating bandits.
    Moonlight Tales is to werewolves what Belua Sanguinare was and Sacrosanct is to vampires: a mod that makes it feel like the transformation into a monster that needs to feed on humans actually matters to a character.

It expands the perk tree Dawnguard added, gives your human form some extra minor abilities (and a weakness to silver), optional toggles to have mandatory full moon transformations or other intermittent ones that randomly force you into werewolf mode (you get juuust enough warning to potentially flee to the outskirts of a town before you pop if you're close to the exit), and other options like being a werebear, having different colorations/skins, or having werewolf hunters come after you.

Basically it's one part immersion, one part overhaul, one part expansion of the whole werewolf system.

Also it gives you an at-will Night Eye power in both forms. =p
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-04-02 at 05:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I think that one cave with the Snow Elves who's name I cant remember (dark-something, I think) is the darkest. I know it is deliberately darker than most other caves in the game.
    I had a lighting mod that made caves in general pretty darn dark to where Night Eye was one of my most valued assets. Only downside was that it made a lot of house interiors pretty dark too. It was nice in some player homes, but taverns felt too moody with it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I had a lighting mod that made caves in general pretty darn dark to where Night Eye was one of my most valued assets. Only downside was that it made a lot of house interiors pretty dark too. It was nice in some player homes, but taverns felt too moody with it.
    Yep, I've tried at least three different lighting mods, and none of them seems to get it right. I think they maybe calculate raw relative light intensity, but without making allowance for eyes adjusting.

Tamriel has two moons, both of them bigger than ours. On top of that, Skyrim also has the aurora, and snow to reflect all that light. I should think most nights are pretty dazzling. Certainly you shouldn't need to resort to artificial lighting outdoors except on rare occasions.

And indoors - taverns and houses should be cosy, not gloomy. If my house were that dim, I'd get another lamp.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Balmas turned me on to Vivid Weather's, and that combined with Expanded Towns and Cities gives me dark caves, and well lit if not super bright inns.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

5. - Top - End - #425
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just upgraded from a laptop to a PC with a real graphics card and everything, and I'm looking for suggestions for skyrim mods dealing with textures, effects, and such, the sort of beautiful things my old computer couldn't handle.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2018-04-04 at 12:15 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Strap into SMIM and Vivid weathers. Add in Immersive Armors, and aMidianborn's Textures. Your game is now beautiful. Everything else is optional.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Remember what I said about embracing the curse and go killing in population centers. Uh....maybe don't do that? Where is the Psyjic Order's time magic when you need it? Ah well, they are dead now. Also remember the nice opening shot you get of Ravenrock when you first visit it in the Dragonborn DLC? Imagine a nice big blood moon hanging over it and being a werewolf, transforming on the boat, visible to EVERYONE except the people currently sleeping.

Well, the settlement has a few less Redoran Guards now and I have a bounty. I do not want to buy off the bounty since it's pretty weird RP-wise that they would let you being a werewolf just slide under the rug. Then again, we are talking about Dunmer houses here. There's nothing more happening than a dunmer mage wanting to get a few samples if he or she dares.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Well, the settlement has a few less Redoran Guards now and I have a bounty. I do not want to buy off the bounty since it's pretty weird RP-wise that they would let you being a werewolf just slide under the rug. Then again, we are talking about Dunmer houses here. There's nothing more happening than a dunmer mage wanting to get a few samples if he or she dares.
    I think you're getting Redoran confused with Telvanni, there - and even then, I don't think that House Telvanni would shrug off a werewolf wandering around eating people just because some random Dunmer mage wanted samples, if only because the people to whom the Masters and Magisters leave the day-to-day governance of their towers and the associated settlements probably wouldn't stand for it. The mage would need to be someone of significant, if local, influence, or perhaps even the local Master or his Mouth.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2018-04-05 at 02:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

That said, if you were to get in good with a powerful member of another house, they might be willing to let it slide for the sake of politics. Provided you paid the fines of course.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I was playing Oblivion yesterday and I noticed something.

I think I have been told that the items that raise skills still work when the skills in question reach their maximum level.

I have alchemy at the level 100, and I went to make a potion, then I tried making the same potion while wearing a base ring of alchemy (alchemy plus 6) and the display said it would come out at exactly the same strength. I didn't actually make the potion either time, so I suppose it's possible that the actual results will vary, but is this usual, do skill caps apply so hard that they cut off the power of power-up items?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, alchemy in Oblivion is coded in such a way that the effective cap is 100 skill. Also - if the UESP is to be trusted - there is literally one fortify alchemy effect in the entire game that actually works - the bonus in Frostcrag Spire's lab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

UESP is probably the only source worth trusting, since they dig into the games using the Construction Set/Creation Kit.

Though the ring 'works' only because it's Fortify Skill, not Fortify Alchemy. So it has no effect when worn at 100 points.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Yes, alchemy in Oblivion is coded in such a way that the effective cap is 100 skill.
    Presumably in order to avoid the easy exploit that was possible in Morrowind, where you could make a potion of Fortify Intelligence, drink it, make a stronger one, drink that, and so on for as long as you had ingredients, thus being able to make arbitrarily strong potions.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'm getting close to retire my first Skyrim character. Did the main quest already, and also Dawnguard (helped the Dawnguard, of course - I still need to get some of the ancient Dawnguard equipment, tho), so all there's left is to beat Miraak.

Achieved the second step of REAL! ULTIMATE! POWEEEER!! ...which is taking Enchanting to 100. With Ahzidal's equipment, all I need is the Black Book with the secrets to modify Enchanting, and get Alchemy to 100 (passing through the initial improvement perks on the way) to finish the quest.

Funny thing, though - Miraak had an appearance kill-stealing a dragon I didn't even knew was there while I was selling the tons of potions I did on Falkreath, and said something along the lines of "can you imagine, getting your soul drained that way?" ("Uh, yeah - don't like that. Went to the Soul Cairn and had the terrible experience. That's why I have 21 Soul Husks always on the ready!") and "I'm getting one step closer to ultimate power..." ("Yeah, me too - who would have known Alchemy gave so much power...?") Poor Miraak, he's so misguided, thinking that his special Shout will give him ultimate power, when all he needed to do was to mimic Ahzidal. Tsk tsk tsk.

So, since I'm really getting close to have nothing (of relevance) to do, I figure it's time to ask which should be my second character. Right now, I'm narrowing it to two options:
    • One is to go full Mage, but no idea about the race. Probably Altmer, because...you know, elves and magic and so forth. No Companions' quests, yes to Vampire Lord powers, and maybe a stint on Thieves' Giuild and Dark Brotherhood.
    • Another is to go Khajiit. They have a reputation for beng thieves, right? He'll be full Thief, going for Archary and Dual Wield (and Illusion - poof, Ninja!), and definitely going with Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests.

Which sounds more fun for you?
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

15. - Top - End - #435

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    So, since I'm really getting close to have nothing (of relevance) to do, I figure it's time to ask which should be my second character. Right now, I'm narrowing it to two options:
    • One is to go full Mage, but no idea about the race. Probably Altmer, because...you know, elves and magic and so forth. No Companions' quests, yes to Vampire Lord powers, and maybe a stint on Thieves' Giuild and Dark Brotherhood.
    • Another is to go Khajiit. They have a reputation for beng thieves, right? He'll be full Thief, going for Archary and Dual Wield (and Illusion - poof, Ninja!), and definitely going with Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests.

Which sounds more fun for you?
    Considering thieves and mages are always my favourites, I cant really choose one of the other. You could always do a magic thief though

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    Considering thieves and mages are always my favourites, I cant really choose one of the other. You could always do a magic thief though
    Well, of course (I did mention it'd go through Illusion magic), but I meant specialization. Either a Thief with a little bit of magic (Illusion) or a Mage with a little bit of Thief (maybe Pickpocket), but trying to specialize in both would take so much time, I could finish the game twice while doing so. Also, it'd determine my choice of race (don't wanna do another J'zargo - either a Khajiit Thief or a Mage from any race...even Breton, if necessary, though that'd be two Bretons already); I mean, I could go Argonian Mage for all I care, and fluff that the Argonian is a pretty literal Dragon-Born (from a very ostracized race, even!), but I could also go a boring Altmer mage who hates the Thalmor with a passion that'd make the Daedric Princes blush.

Spreading thin, though...
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

17. - Top - End - #437

Well I'm doing a magic thief right now (well, more like magic infiltrator). Bound swords and bow, illusion for sneaking, some restoration/alteration for survivability. Of course this is using ordinator and a few magic mods (I get a lot of use out of the forgotten magic spells with this build). I have destruction pretty high because I intended to go pure mage to begin with, but I find myself in melee with a sword a lot now so destruction probably isnt that necessary, but there are some nice ordinator perks for having a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other. Im wearing robes which makes it a lot more interesting too, as even though I can run in and destroy everything, if Im not prepared I can just as easily get destroyed in return. Focusing on enchanting early on with no use for alchemy or smithing yet has made some of my lower skills more powerful once I can enchant all my clothing. (Admittedly this build would be a lot better if I wasnt playing with a gamepad so I could use hotkeys)

Otherwise I've also played a magic thief both with ordinator or vanilla perks playing like an arcane archer which was a lot of fun. I recall there was a really good build online somewhere for that too.
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2018-04-10 at 03:59 AM.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

18. - Top - End - #438

Conjuration is my favorite school for stealthy characters. Just get enough Illusion to get silent spells and then, if your sneaking isn't enough or is kind of risky, summon something behind peeps and sneak by while they fight it. Good stuff.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Conjuration is my favorite school for stealthy characters.
    Ah, yes. Reminds me of the time my DM found it appropriate to hide a Fire Elemental in a trap. In a wooden shop. with precious merchandise. I _was_robbing the place but I just thought this was stupid.

As you can imagine I have a problem immersing myself in a stealthy summoner (not that I haven't done this myself).

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Altmer pure mage is almost too easy. Personally I enjoy playing against type. Nord Mage, Altmer Thief.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2018-04-10 at 06:13 AM.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Altmer pure mage is almost too easy. Personally I enjoy playing against type. Nord Mage, Altmer Thief.
    I had fun playing a sword-&-board khajiit "paladin" with a delusion of grandeur. Game was cut short due to a computer failure, but up until then it was interesting/challenging to try not to use stealth. I think Lydia ended up being the Sancho Panza to my somewhat Don Quixote train of thought.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

22. - Top - End - #442
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Has anyone else run into the problem where, if you kill a dragon at a named spot (i.e. Go back to Bonestrewn crest), the dragon will, for some reason, not have a soul for you to devour? I've had this happen a couple times, now.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    It is Skyrim. I have recently cut down on my difficulty scale because it makes the game not more entertaining but tedious when a mere bandit has the resilience of a small mountain. It also somewhat ruins my immersion when I do scratch them in professional gear (heavy Imperial set) while a drunk corsair can chop me to pieces.

I try to play to a job (i.e. Vampire Hunter, or Thief, or Knight) and modify the 'job' with what the race would be skilled with. A Khajiit 'knight' would probably don Light Armor and try with equal fervor to block hits or not get hit at all. An Imperial Knight would train Restoration Magic while a Altmer would pacify people with Illusion and enchant their gear.

This way, my Khajiit Archmage is an illusion expert while my Breton archmage is more of a summoner. The Orc harbinger is a walking tank with Wuuthrad while the Nord harbinger is a dervish with two onehanded weapons. My Argonian assassin is a poison master while my Khajiit assassin loves his unarmed attacks.

Question: Is there a race you almost never - or at least seldomly - pick? Mine is Wood Elf. Even before I knew they are ritualistic cannibals I just found them incredibly dull. You could be a dark elf (without the incredible over-the-top matriarchal society and a god for-the-evulz), you could be a high elf that is an expert in all things magic. Or you know. You could be a savage, eating people because you are the actual anti-vegetarian.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-04-10 at 08:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Has anyone else run into the problem where, if you kill a dragon at a named spot (i.e. Go back to Bonestrewn crest), the dragon will, for some reason, not have a soul for you to devour? I've had this happen a couple times, now.
    I've had it happen (i.e. the body of the dragon just sat there dead), I didn't notice it was related to anything in particular, but it could be.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

That's one glitch I've never seen. Something I'm actually glad of.

Breton's are the one race I've never actually played. They hold no interest to me, being the 'perfect' race. Powerful wizards, capable fighters, good thieves. There's no downside to them and that irks me.

I tend to ignore racial preferences for the character's personal choices. If my character wants to be a Khajiit clanking around in full plate with a two-hander, that's what's coming stomping across the field.

The Scratch damage issue is why I play with Wildcat, which vastly boosts the damage you do, as well as what the enemy does. But also wipes out the stupidly high-buffs they get for being AI controlled.

26. - Top - End - #446

Question: Is there a race you almost never - or at least seldomly - pick? Mine is Wood Elf. Even before I knew they are ritualistic cannibals I just found them incredibly dull. You could be a dark elf (without the incredible over-the-top matriarchal society and a god for-the-evulz), you could be a high elf that is an expert in all things magic. Or you know. You could be a savage, eating people because you are the actual anti-vegetarian.
    I'm going to admit, I havent played with the majority of races. In morrowind I played a wood elf. In oblivion I played...a wood elf, until I started modding, then I think I always used mod races. Skyrim has been a mix of nord (because skyrim), wood elf and breton, and for a while I tried mod races (specifically ningheim since it was nordish). ESO...wood elf.

Huh, didnt realise until just now I apparently really like wood elves.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

27. - Top - End - #447

Lessee... I've played an Altmer, a khajiit, a Breton three times, an orc twice, and most recently a Nord.

I don't think I'll ever play an Argonian, simply because their racial powers are boring to me. I mean, hooray, I can breathe underwater. That'd be brilliant, if only there were anything worthwhile to be found in a non-Morrowind game. And a once-a-day health potion isn't exactly fantastic.

For the same reason, I've never played as an Imperial. They just feel like the white-bread, vanilla option, whose racial powers amount to "You'll be even more stupid rich than your average stupid-rich Elder Scrolls Protagonist" and "calm spell."
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Lessee... I've played an Altmer, a khajiit, a Breton three times, an orc twice, and most recently a Nord.

I don't think I'll ever play an Argonian, simply because their racial powers are boring to me. I mean, hooray, I can breathe underwater. That'd be brilliant, if only there were anything worthwhile to be found in a non-Morrowind game. And a once-a-day health potion isn't exactly fantastic.

For the same reason, I've never played as an Imperial. They just feel like the white-bread, vanilla option, whose racial powers amount to "You'll be even more stupid rich than your average stupid-rich Elder Scrolls Protagonist" and "calm spell."
    I might suggest installing Imperious Races then. In there each race has their own regen rates for Stamina, Magicka and Health and Argonians regenerate additional stuff the lower it goes. It meshes well with their lore of being resilient types that just go on and on and on. Nords have weaponized racism in there (bonus damage to certain races at 10/20/30), Imperials can really pinpoint their focus. They can improve and decrease attributes/resistances/skills on 10/20/30 like the following: +50 to two attributes, -50 to one attribute (you can do +50 health, +50 stamina, -50 stamina to net you +50 health), +25% to two resistances and -25% to one (same principle) and finally on 30, +20 in three skills, -10 in three other (a racial bonus so no easier unlocks here). It is vanilla, yes, but highly customizable.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe your Imperial has grown up in Skyrim and endured countless winters and other threats. But the cold and poor nutrition has made his mind numb. He ignores cold and storms but fire has become an alien concept to him. And finally, he how knows why Nords prefer armor made from hide rather than cold metal (+light, -heavy), he hunts for food instead of bartering with locals (+archery - speech) and he is good at foraging for himself but never understood the art of smithing (+alchemy, -smithing).

On another note: I tried ESO on a free weekend for half an hour. It was boring but I feel that was no fair assessment. When do you get to pick your class and/or skills? How does the game do its f2p model? Is it EA/Bioware style that you have subscription PLUS cash shop? Is it Black Desert Online that you buy the game and the cash shop for visuals and almost required for PvE/PvP?

29. - Top - End - #449

On another note: I tried ESO on a free weekend for half an hour. It was boring but I feel that was no fair assessment. When do you get to pick your class and/or skills? How does the game do its f2p model? Is it EA/Bioware style that you have subscription PLUS cash shop? Is it Black Desert Online that you buy the game and the cash shop for visuals and almost required for PvE/PvP?
    I admit I havent got too far in ESO because of a lack of any friends playing but I can answer what I know. You should have picked a class when you created your character, but that only unlocks 3(?) specific skill lines, otherwise you have access to every skill line in the game. You have to do things to unlock other skills, either by questing (in the case of the guilds) or equipping something like a bow for archery skills to be leveled.

I think the cash shop was mostly convenience stuff that you dont really need, other than the DLCs. I havent got around to any of the DLCs yet so I havent bought them, but from what I've read some of them are things you'll do once then never return to them. Since there's so many DLCs now though, it might be better value these days to sub for a month or two (as you have access to all the DLCs while subbed), play through them, then only buy the ones you'd go back to afterwards. I think they also give you some crowns (for the cash shop) whenever you're subbed as well, so while there is a subscription and cash shop, they seem to throw you a lot of bones so you dont have to do both at the same time. If you're a f2p player, you can drop some money on the cosmetic/convenience stuff and/or the dlcs. If you subscribe, you get access to all the dlc's and can gradually afford some stuff from the cash shop without the need to pay anything extra on top of the sub cost.
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2018-04-11 at 03:46 AM.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Argonian's have always had a weird niche in Elder Scrolls. Oblivion's water ways meant being an Argonian was a perfect race for a thief who could steal, run out and disappear into the water. In Skyrim, there's a small handful of areas where being an Argonian is useful at all. The one quest for Maven where you need to fetch a quill underwater, or exploring the underwater shipwrecks to the north in the sea of ghosts. (It's got a name but I can't recall it.) That said, I played an Argonian Knife-fighter who also focused destruction for cloak spells. Very dangerous at close ranges.

Imperials on the other side, are kind of the perfect character for a thief. That vanilla everyperson shape of who they are, combined with the naturally greedy power, and the ability to talk their way out of trouble, means that you can get away with things you wouldn't normally be able to attempt, while also being able to easily loot all the chests for a lot more gold than normal.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2018-04-11 at 07:06 AM.