New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default How to remove possession?

Hello everyone,

I'd like to pick people's brains here trying to maybe find a creative solution to a problem. How would you go about removing a possessing demon from a character, and following that, the material plane? (Destroying him would also be acceptable, of course :) )

Dismissal/banishment will probably not work, due to the demon's extremely high will save/HD, unless many different items that he hates can be found and presented when casting the spell.

I know from in-game research that the demon is an expert possessor with a variety of powers, all of which lead me to believe that he has the Fiend of Possession prestige class, just to give people an idea of his powers.

Any ideas, even the tiniest thing, would be most welcome.
    Thank you all!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How to remove possession?

An item of Protection from Evil would probably be better, as it stops the fiend from doing anything, including getting back onto the Material Plane. Of course if you go into an Antimagic Field...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Sacred Exocist PRC from Complete Devine has an exorcism class feature that “can force a possessing creature or spirit out of the body it inhabits”.
    Will that work?
    Last edited by Allanimal; 2018-07-16 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Fix typo

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

@Bad_Wolf: Protection from Evil would protect from possession, but would it also remove the demon if he had already possessed someone?

@Allanimal : I thought of that while trying to find a solution, but the DC would be way too high for a successful exorcism, that demon is probably close to 30-40 HD.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Change the law -- or, at least, 9/10ths of it...

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
    @Allanimal : I thought of that while trying to find a solution, but the DC would be way too high for a successful exorcism, that demon is probably close to 30-40 HD.
    Ouch, yeah, the sacred exorcist will have a problem with that one... unless there are some shenanigans to boost the heck out of that class level check. I don’t know of any...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello everyone,

I'd like to pick people's brains here trying to maybe find a creative solution to a problem. How would you go about removing a possessing demon from a character, and following that, the material plane? (Destroying him would also be acceptable, of course :) )

Dismissal/banishment will probably not work, due to the demon's extremely high will save/HD, unless many different items that he hates can be found and presented when casting the spell.

I know from in-game research that the demon is an expert possessor with a variety of powers, all of which lead me to believe that he has the Fiend of Possession prestige class, just to give people an idea of his powers.

Thank you all!
    what level of chars do you have to work with?

I'm also curious what does happen if the possessed char goes into an anti-magic field.

if you can arrange a way to kill the fiend; then kill the host and cast revivify. that'd force the demon out. you still have to deal with it of course.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2018-07-16 at 05:54 PM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

@zlefin: Nice idea! There's 5 of us, levels 18-21. We also have a cleric, so Revivify might do the trick, I hadn't thought of that... I think we might have a shot at taking him down in a fight, but we'll need to figure out a way to stop him from possessing a wall or the floor or something. Perhaps one of us could be waiting in the ethereal plane, ready to cast a dimensional anchor as soon as he's forced there.

9. - Top - End - #9

Could you ask the DM about Perform (Exorcism) skill DCs?

Also, epic exorcism spells with stupidly high DCs. The more sanctified, consecrated, hallowed, and blessed stuff, as well as holy water, celestial creatures, and Good clerics and paladins you can have around to further boost DCs, the better.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-07-16 at 07:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Good old dispel evil is specifically called out by Fiendish Codex I as being effective against demonic possession. You still have to beat SR and get the possessor to fail a Will save, but this appears to be a vanilla save (not modified by HD), and dumps the demon to its own plane.

For that matter, FCI has the first-level exorcism spell -- which might not be great unless Heightened, but it's also a vanilla Will save and is swift-action, so it's spammable (as long as you have Turn Undead uses to burn) while trying other spells. This spell doesn't drive it out of the plane, but does put a "no repo for 24 hours" clause on your freed victim. (OTOH, the possessor could still try to jump into something/someone else.)

You could spam Extended magic circle vs evil and keep the demon from doing anything for so long that it decides to hop out of its own accord, but again you'd still have the challenge of dealing with it / whatever it hops into next.

11. - Top - End - #11

Telling someone "no" is the fastest way to get them to do something, so pull a head of Vecna gambit on it.

Craft a trap the soul gem with a Heightened Nystul's magic aura to block the spell's emanations, and find covert means to entice the demon into taking the gem. Cast various [Evil] spells on it, such as unhallow, plus permanency. Craft it into a per/day item of some useful spells the demon doesn't natively have access to. Make it seem like a very useful artifact for this demon in particular. Make it seem to have the ability to prevent a possessed creature from being exorcised. Dress it up as a very gaudy piece of evil jewelry, complete with carven bones and whatnot. Really work those Craft and Bluff skills. Secretly clear out a dungeon somewhere, hire a bunch of celestial creatures to guard it, build a few traps using the Tucker's kobolds school of dungeon design, to make it a lot more difficult than the creatures involved would indicate, without being terribly expensive. Make it seem quite difficult, but doable. Then spread rumors via the speed of bard. Since rumors are apparently FTL, word should reach it before long. It either goes itself or sends minions to retrieve it. Once it willingly takes the gem, it will trap the demon, leaving its host alone.

The main benefit of this plan is that the DM is more likely to allow it to succeed, especially if you make it an adventure all by itself.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2018-07-16 at 08:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

@Bad_Wolf: Protection from Evil would protect from possession, but would it also remove the demon if he had already possessed someone?
    No, it supresses them. So they cant really do anything. Setting aside the fact that some people may not want to be holding a fiend in their body and that it might escape if dispelled or carried into an Antimagic Field, it's basically the best way of stopping a fiend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Impotente/Imprison possessor offer a Will save but are worth considering. Consider fleshbound (lifebound would be even better) plus one hit killing the host (you can resurrect It later)
    Last edited by thethird; 2018-07-16 at 08:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

1 - Possessing fiends are incorporeal while possessing a target.

2 - Incorporeal creatures are always flying.

3 - Gust of Wind pushes flying creatures farther than non-flying creatures.

4 - Incorporeal protects from non-magical damage sources, and grants immunity to solid objects. Wind is not damage, and wind is not solid. Incorporeal creatures are not immune to gust of wind.

5 - Slap on a protection from evil after blowing off the fiend.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

@zlefin: Nice idea! There's 5 of us, levels 18-21. We also have a cleric, so Revivify might do the trick, I hadn't thought of that... I think we might have a shot at taking him down in a fight, but we'll need to figure out a way to stop him from possessing a wall or the floor or something. Perhaps one of us could be waiting in the ethereal plane, ready to cast a dimensional anchor as soon as he's forced there.
    you'd certainly want to have a lot of buffs ready and prepare the environment for it. additionally, with any good plan, there's a chance the demon decides you've done enough prep it's going to lose and it'll run before you reach

in order to avoid it repossessing anything, you could all gather together inside a windowless forcecage on the plane of air (or some other plane with lots of empty space, maybe just do it on the ethereal plane directly). then as long as all of you are covered from possession there aren't any objects in the area and it's inside the forcecage with you. you could also cast dimensional lock beforehnad as well so it can't go ethereal and is forced out into its normal body, which would also block many other means of escape. not sure how the rules handle it if the creature is naturally too big for the forcecage but it was already present before the creature emerged.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Hello everyone,

Thank you all!
    Depends on what method of possession it's using. With Magic Jar (and anything that inherits from it), it takes a standard action to get out of a host. While unconscious, the demon can't take a standard action. And the demon uses the host's HP total, not his own. KO the host, then spam Dismissal from a wand (or any other suitable method) until the demon is out (rolls a nat-1). Note that if using the "Possess Creature" ability from the Fiend of Possession PrC, this does NOT work (demon's still awake... but can't control the host while it's unconscious, so maybe it does...)

Just do it in a place where there's nothing to grab. Move the entire fight to the Ethereal.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2018-07-16 at 09:10 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

There is literally a spell called dispel possession in ghostwalk. It is a 4th level bard, 5th level cleric/sorc/wizard, no save, no SR, automatically remove a possessing being from a creature spell, as if it had left the creature voluntarily.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

So many wonderful ideas here. I didn't think that my problem would turn from "how on earth are we going to we do this?" to "we've got this, but which of these ways do I pick?".

You people are awesome, thank you all so very much!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Magic Circle against Evil should suppress possession. Just find a friendly unicorn or celestial who's willing to hang around for a while. Planar Binding, or whatever. If the demon tries to hop bodies, then the celestial just strolls over and turns off their control over the new host too.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-07-17 at 04:48 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Imprison and impotent possessor on the host then find and destroy its body. Possession ended, demon dead.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    There is literally a spell called dispel possession in ghostwalk. It is a 4th level bard, 5th level cleric/sorc/wizard, no save, no SR, automatically remove a possessing being from a creature spell, as if it had left the creature voluntarily.
    Yeah, this absolutely wins on sheer effectiveness, no question.

Go with one of the other more in-depth ideas if you want to give the GM some wiggle room to weave a story out of it, but if you just wanna get the fiend out, accept no substitutes. Bonus points for the shocked look on the GM's face when (s)he goes to roll the fiend's Will save and tells you to roll to pen its Spell Resistance and you tell them that it allows neither.

Incidentally, keep this one on the back burner and on a scroll somewhere just for instantly killing a dominate effect; it immediately nukes charm, dominate, and similar effects. Absolutely worth it. No save, no SR means it's just as effective on a scroll as it is from a spell slot. (For extra fun, throw it on a Schema or similar 1/day item.)
    Last edited by AnonymousPepper; 2018-07-17 at 06:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Incidentally, keep this one on the back burner and on a scroll somewhere just for instantly killing a dominate effect; it immediately nukes charm, dominate, and similar effects. Absolutely worth it. No save, no SR means it's just as effective on a scroll as it is from a spell slot. (For extra fun, throw it on a Schema or similar 1/day item.)
    I'd say it's way too situational to put on a Schema. 5th level Schema aren't exactly cheap. I can see a scroll being useful, but mostly for the possession removal.
    But unless you know you'll need it, by the time you can easily afford to cart around a ~1200gp oneshot item that may or may not come up (instead of buying something always/more generally useful) you're generally already immune to mind-affecting.

It's not that Dispel Possession isn't great at what it does, just that cheaper alternatives are almost always good enough.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Spamalot in the Playground

You should also figure out if your GM had something more specific in mind for you to deal with this creature - something more plot-focused like a ritual. This doesn't sound like a run of the mill opponent for you to just roll dice at and then collect XP, it sounds like a primary or at least significant antagonist for this phase of your campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    4 - Incorporeal protects from non-magical damage sources, and grants immunity to solid objects. Wind is not damage, and wind is not solid. Incorporeal creatures are not immune to gust of wind.
    I'm not sure about this ruling - Incorporeal also gives immunity to being physically moved or manipulated. I'd say wind blowing them around would fall under that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Fiends using Possession aren't incorporeal, they explicitly become part of the creature they're possessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'm not sure about this ruling - Incorporeal also gives immunity to being physically moved or manipulated. I'd say wind blowing them around would fall under that.
    The description of the Incorporeal subtype doesn't bring it up, it only mentions that no physical act can move or manipulate one, which Gust of Wind doesn't fall into since it's a spell.
    But it's mentioned in the description of Wind Wall that it doesn't affect incorporeal creatures.

There's also these two bits from RC:
    An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It doesn’t need to eat, drink, or breathe, and indeed can’t do these things since it can’t affect physical objects, even air.
    Nondamaging effects affect incorporeal creatures normally unless such effects require corporeal targets to function (such as implosion)
    or they create a corporeal effect that incorporeal creatures are normally unaffected by (such as web or wall of stone).
    It doesn't come right out and say they're not affected but it's at least heavily implied imo, though i can see the room for arguing otherwise even if i don't agree.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    The description of the Incorporeal subtype doesn't bring it up, it only mentions that no physical act can move or manipulate one, which Gust of Wind doesn't fall into since it's a spell.
    Why wouldn't it? And even if you rule that spells are somehow not acts, the rule there actually says action anyway.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Why wouldn't it? And even if you rule that spells are somehow not acts, the rule there actually says action anyway.
    I'm not saying that spells are not actions, i'm saying they're not physical actions.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    I'm not saying that spells are not actions, i'm saying they're not physical actions.
    "Spells" might or might not be. But I definitely think a gust of wind is.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

"Spells" might or might not be. But I definitely think a gust of wind is.
    You can read it that way, but imo it's not clear.
    I actually agree with your interpretation, but from the RAW i've found i can see how someone could go the other way too.
    The clearest bit we have is that passage on nondamaging effects i quoted, but afaik it's never clearly stated if incorporeal creatures are affected by wind or not.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

2 - Incorporeal creatures are always flying.

3 - Gust of Wind pushes flying creatures farther than non-flying creatures.

5 - Slap on a protection from evil after blowing off the fiend.
    If you didn’t pull this out of the Dysfunctional Rules thread, you definitely need to submit it to said thread. That’s hilariously stupid, but even if you accept the argument that wind affects incorporeal stuff, there’s no way in Baator that’s intended.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Imprison and impotent possessor on the host then find and destroy its body. Possession ended, demon dead.
    Whether this would work or not depends on the possession in question. FC1 possession leaves behind a body, but ghost possession, a few spells, and FF fiend of possession do not. Of course, having the fiend imprisoned and unable to affect the host is as good as having it gone, but both of those can be dispelled by an errant dispel magic intended to remove buffs or the like.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.