New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLIII

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    "I have wings now, see them? They're my most obvious feature. Of course I can fly." It's what started the conversation in the first place, those wings. "I'm not human, though. I look human right now, but humans generally can't do this." Jack holds their arm up and feathers sprout along it as the joints shift to make it more like a bird's wing, so Jack briefly has three of those. This one doesn't have an eye in the middle, however.

"You pride yourself on looking good, you say. Why, when female, does that extend to makeup that doesn't apply when you're male? I assume you cleaned, trimmed and used deodorant as a girl. I have nothing against makeup, I have things against people stopping other people from doing what they please based on appearance or gender. I'm comfortable as you see me, without makeup, trimming or a particularly wide wardrobe. Sometimes I have to correct people who get which gender I am wrong. I'm happy with that, too. It's fun, and I prefer clothes that are comfortable and practical over ones that look good. And because I shapeshift, I need expensive magic clothes, and I'd rather get ones that won't go out of fashion."

I will point out here that I have not been using gender pronouns for Jack in this scene, and the description stated they were 'androgynous'. Jack is female, but that's not particularly obvious.

"Wasn't what you said, but how you said it."
    Mirai replies, then nods when she generates the wings. "A shapeshifter, nonhuman, Jack Door, yet your human form doesn't have wings. 4 wings in bird form, or your new ones disappear?" He asks, genuinely curious.

When she starts to vocalize her offense at the way he phrased his words, he hurriedly raises his hands. "Hey, hey... hm, you come off as an androgynous guy, reading your words between the lines, I'd say... girl. And there's nothing wrong with that, or what you've said. What I mean, though... societal norms based on human biology. Ultimately, to be honest, women, wear makeup for ourselves, to seem more attractive, or to blend in and be less noticeable. Makeup can be empowering, Jack, and most women who routinely wear makeup do it for themselves first. I mean, I used deodorant because I want to smell good."
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Orc in the Playground

"Four wings, but they get smaller. I can't get rid of these two, though they're quite cool so I'm glad of that, a little." She nods a little after. "Yes, I'm a girl. And I've never paid any attention to 'gender norms'. Everyone's a person, so long as they're comfortable and happy, that's all that matters." She looks carefully at Mirai after this. "If you've still got your old makeup, you could try it now, if you fancied. I reckon you'd look good with a bit of eyeliner or something. You've got nice eyes, and it'd help them be more noticeable."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #633
    Pixie in the Playground

"Four wings, but they get smaller. I can't get rid of these two, though they're quite cool so I'm glad of that, a little." She nods a little after. "Yes, I'm a girl. And I've never paid any attention to 'gender norms'. Everyone's a person, so long as they're comfortable and happy, that's all that matters." She looks carefully at Mirai after this. "If you've still got your old makeup, you could try it now, if you fancied. I reckon you'd look good with a bit of eyeliner or something. You've got nice eyes, and it'd help them be more noticeable."
    "Fair enough, Jack, but consider that what makes people comfortable and happy sometimes is dressing themselves up, and there's nothing wrong with that. Looking at you now as a girl, I think you're quite attractive. And I know girls that fancy skirts and playing up their femininity, and that's okay too. You choose to be androgynous, I won't look down on you for that if it makes you comfortable and happy, so don't put words in my mouth." Mirai explains, swigging his ale after this.

When she makes her request, he slowly turns to face her, away from his drink, his smile frozen for a bit. "If I did, I would be willing to. I'm confident in my masculinity, and ceremonial eyeliner for all is a thing in my culture... but I can't help but feel like I'm being baited, Jack. It's not a good feeling." He states his problem simply, then smiles genuinely again. "Luckily for me I'm enough of a free spirit to not care if I'm a makeup-clad guy, so I'll do it if you can find some makeup... and if you do it as well." Didn't think you were getting off easy, did you, Jack?
    Love is the message.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Orc in the Playground

"It, uh, wasn't meant to be baiting. I'm sorry you took it that way. I was trying to compliment your eyes. I'm... Not really good at that sort of thing." Jack smiles when told Mirai finds her attractive, since she's aware her androgynous look doesn't appeal to everyone. "I don't own any makeup, and I've never put any on before, either. Where I'm from, people don't usually buy anything they don't need, or anything they can't use to get food in the future. We aren't a very advanced people, on our own. Makeup's practically unknown, since we judge each other's attractiveness on both our shapes." Not much point in makeup since it doesn't apply to the jackdaw shape. A good diet and regular exercise is more important.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    Zee gives a nod. "Alright, coming up!"

One of the long loafs of wheat bread is cut along the edge. No pre-sliced bread here! Or at least not since Zee got back. She wouldn't be one to stand for that sort of nonsense. Next comes ham (both black forest style and honeyed) followed by a quickly diced head of lettuce and tomatoes. Mustard, mayonnaise, a hint of sweet dill, and a splash of olive oil round it out.

And the cheese?

Well.

Zee was rather furtive about it's addition.

Looks like the gal is going to have to take a bite out of the sandwich to find out what the surprise is?

The hero is set before her on a plain little plate, along with the steaming cup of tea.

"There you go! Enjoy."
    The old woman nods. "Thank you." She inspects the sandwich for a moment, muttering something about how it's like nothing she'd seen before. Then, she picks it up slightly awkwardly and takes a massive bite out of it. Little bit eager to eat it, for something she'd never even heard of before today.
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2019-03-14 at 06:36 PM.
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

6. - Top - End - #636
    Barbarian in the Playground

A bite is taken!

The sandwich is, all things considered, pretty great. The ham has a nice smokey, sweet taste to it. Which is a nice counter-point to the tangy zip of the mustard and cheese.

Though... something about the cheese is a bit odd. It tastes like it's there.

Then not.

Then there.

Then not again.

It's a rather novel experience to be sure.

Zee watches expectantly for reactions.

[Outside Trog's]

And now Geneva touches down outside the tavern, stooping to allow Karl to disembark.

No doubt he will be VERY happy to be back on the ground.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A bite is taken!

The sandwich is, all things considered, pretty great. The ham has a nice smokey, sweet taste to it. Which is a nice counter-point to the tangy zip of the mustard and cheese.

Though... something about the cheese is a bit odd. It tastes like it's there.

Then not.

Then there.

Then not again.

It's a rather novel experience to be sure.

Zee watches expectantly for reactions.
    The woman nods approvingly, then furrows her brow. She appears extremely confused. She swallows the bite, then says, rather hesitantly, "The cheese...it seemed to disappear then reappear over and over again. Is that...normal for sandwiches?"

8. - Top - End - #638

"Nope!" Zee replies brightly. "You asked me to surprise you with the cheese. That cheese is made from the milk of a blink-sheep."

Like a blink dog!

Except a sheep!

And therefore not protected by intellectual property rights laws!

"That helps make it a little more mild that sheep cheese usually is."

Which is important.

Sheep cheese (like goat cheese) can have a very strong flavor.

But this?

It adds just the right amount of zip.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The woman nods. "Good choice. The disappearing and reappearing is a little strange at first, but it does taste good." She sets the sandwich down and extends her hand. "My name is Xena, and it's my first day here. Hence, sandwiches being new to me."
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2019-03-15 at 07:52 PM.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Pixie in the Playground

"It, uh, wasn't meant to be baiting. I'm sorry you took it that way. I was trying to compliment your eyes. I'm... Not really good at that sort of thing." Jack smiles when told Mirai finds her attractive, since she's aware her androgynous look doesn't appeal to everyone. "I don't own any makeup, and I've never put any on before, either. Where I'm from, people don't usually buy anything they don't need, or anything they can't use to get food in the future. We aren't a very advanced people, on our own. Makeup's practically unknown, since we judge each other's attractiveness on both our shapes." Not much point in makeup since it doesn't apply to the jackdaw shape. A good diet and regular exercise is more important.
    "Apology accepted, Jack. I'm glad you find me attractive, the feeling's mutual." Mirai responds with a grin, then listens attentively to her. "Ah, I see. In my culture, women love makeup in moderation, from lightly-applied makeup to painting your face, but attraction is based on baser instincts, like body shape, intelligence, y'know, the like."

He tries changing the subject to something less controversial. "So, what do you do for fun?"
    Love is the message.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Through the door walks a vampire. She wears an outfit with lots of pockets. She carries a canvas bag over her shoulder. She also carries a giant metal key shaped kind of like a banjo.

She looks around a bit, taking in the area.

Hm...so, I don't really know anything beyond this room. You have ideas where to check, Raril?

Alysha turns back to her companions that probably followed her in.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Raril slips in after Alysha, dressed in somber greys and a bandanna wrapped around his head in lieu of his usual wide-brimmed hat. "There's upstairs, but that's just a lot of bedrooms. There's the kitchen. I've never been in there, but I think there's an entrance to the basement there. Last time I ended up in the basement I went straight through the floor. Oh and there's the rafters. I suppose I can just levitate and check around up there..." The drow decides, looking up.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

13. - Top - End - #643

"I'm Zee! Trog's resident bar maid slash bouncer slash chef," comes the sandwich crafter's reply. "It must be a little overwhelming coming here for the first time. Do you mind if I ask where you came from and how you got here? How people arrived at the Nexus is always an interesting story."

But then, what's this?

More folks walking into the tavern!

Zee waves exuberantly at Alysha and Raril!

"Hey guys! Welcome to Trog's! Are you searching for the mysterious heart of the Nexus or just swinging in for snacks?"

Why not both, Zee?

They could get snacks WHILE searching for the mysterious heart of the Nexus.

"Sorry about vanishing so abruptly. A gross pod person wizard banished me. But it's all good since I booted her into the Dreamheart and I'm pretty sure she doesn't exist anymore."

Things don't exactly survive getting dumped into the Dreamheart. Mostly because things don't exist there.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Sam arrives a minute after Alysha, having stopped at a snack cart for a croissant. The spigre gulps down the last bit and wipes his mouth with a napkin, dropping it daintily into a nearby can.
    "Uuuuuh..." Sam eyes Alysha. He thinks she should answer that question. Should they hide their intentions from Zee?
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

"Mostly, what I do is some adventuring. Minor stuff, mainly. Find and explore old attics and abandoned spaces amongst the roofs and gutters of Inside. Sometimes I do other, bigger stuff- I got my wings in a cave in Seaside. Got this shovel there, too." Jack reaches into her satchel and pulls out a folding shovel, unfolding the scoop. "It's great, I can use it as a roost, if I've got a bit of space. There's a switch that does... This." Jack holds it out between her and Mirai, flicks the switch and lets go. It stays put in the air, not moving despite the fact it's un-anchored to the ground, or anything else. "Try to move it, without flicking the switch." Jack smiles. If he tries, he won't manage it- it's totally immovable.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Pixie in the Playground

"Mostly, what I do is some adventuring. Minor stuff, mainly. Find and explore old attics and abandoned spaces amongst the roofs and gutters of Inside. Sometimes I do other, bigger stuff- I got my wings in a cave in Seaside. Got this shovel there, too." Jack reaches into her satchel and pulls out a folding shovel, unfolding the scoop. "It's great, I can use it as a roost, if I've got a bit of space. There's a switch that does... This." Jack holds it out between her and Mirai, flicks the switch and lets go. It stays put in the air, not moving despite the fact it's un-anchored to the ground, or anything else. "Try to move it, without flicking the switch." Jack smiles. If he tries, he won't manage it- it's totally immovable.
    Mirai smiles widely at her lust for adventure, it's one he shares as well. He's especially attentive to her tale, and tries to move the shovel a bit when told. It doesn't move an inch. "Wow. Great thing about the Nexus, you can adventure anywhere and find the most useful stuff. I like to adventure, as well, take Nexus jobs and see where they lead. You get to kill slavers - always a plus - and also help people out while gaining loot and seeing the sights. We should adventure sometime, but I don't have much lined up before I return to Seaside."
    Love is the message.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Orc in the Playground

"Mhm. I mostly stay in the city, though. I live here, and it's not usually too dangerous. I'm... Less an adventurer, more a freelance tourguide and urban explorer. I know the roof tribes quite well, and know all kinds of secret and hidden spots." Rooftop gardens, weird gargoyles, flying houses, and the extradimensional attic she found, for example. "I've never killed anything, except this mean little goblin fae thing." The wings came off a reasonably-fresh corpse, but Jack didn't kill it- it swam into a vein of hypersaline water that may have also been boiling. I can't remember. She reaches out and flicks the switch and packs the shovel back away. It's the closest thing she's got to a weapon. Well, that and the brass knuckles, but those aren't as useful against... Well, anything that has longer arms than her, for one.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"I'm Zee! Trog's resident bar maid slash bouncer slash chef," comes the sandwich crafter's reply. "It must be a little overwhelming coming here for the first time. Do you mind if I ask where you came from and how you got here? How people arrived at the Nexus is always an interesting story."
    Xena nods. "Certainly is overwhelming. Most of the stuff here I don't understand." She shakes her head at Zee's asking how she got here, suddenly angry. "It's the worst thing! I was fighting some so-called 'good guys' who were trying to make the world worse, because of course it fell to me to deal with them. Anyway, I was fighting them, and I was winning, when a wizard created a portal in the sky! Sucked me right in, and the portal closed! That's when I crash landed at Blind Cat's Bluff."

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril gives Zee a confused look. "I don't remember telling you about that?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

20. - Top - End - #650
    Pixie in the Playground

"Mhm. I mostly stay in the city, though. I live here, and it's not usually too dangerous. I'm... Less an adventurer, more a freelance tourguide and urban explorer. I know the roof tribes quite well, and know all kinds of secret and hidden spots." Rooftop gardens, weird gargoyles, flying houses, and the extradimensional attic she found, for example. "I've never killed anything, except this mean little goblin fae thing." The wings came off a reasonably-fresh corpse, but Jack didn't kill it- it swam into a vein of hypersaline water that may have also been boiling. I can't remember. She reaches out and flicks the switch and packs the shovel back away. It's the closest thing she's got to a weapon. Well, that and the brass knuckles, but those aren't as useful against... Well, anything that has longer arms than her, for one.
    "You'll have to show me, sometime. I don't just adventure as a consequence of monetizing my skills, I also do it for fun. Last time I was here, I spent most of my time Outside. As for now, I still need to properly tour my new home in Seaside, but sometime I'd like to accompany you on your city travels. I have a hoverboard, parkour/freerunning skills and lecky powers to keep up with your wings." Mirai replies, noting her fondness for the shovel. It'd make a good weapon, and the enchantment plus correct positioning means she can separate herself from harm, or barricade herself in somewhere. "I use a staff, myself, and it conducts my power. It's versatile, and non-lethal most of the time."
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2019-03-19 at 09:06 PM.
    Love is the message.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Orc in the Playground

She's not so much fond of it, as she is impressed by the enchantment. It's also quite useful, since it has a prybar head and the spade of the shovel can lock into position at a ninety degree angle or straight. Plus it extends, which is all very useful.

"I could give a tour now, if you've got nothing else going on. There's a couple spots I know near here." Well, not necessarily near here, but Trog's has an entrance around every corner, and Inside tends to make navigating easier if you know where you're going. "If not, you could just drop down to the interesting fountain on a Wednesday at lunch time. There's a burger van there that has a half-price hump day sale. And they're good burgers, too." Jack nods, and takes a swig of her ginger beer.

22. - Top - End - #652

[Outside Trog's]

And now Geneva touches down outside the tavern, stooping to allow Karl to disembark.

No doubt he will be VERY happy to be back on the ground.
    [Outside Trog's]

A bit dizzy he will disembark and just sit down. A nice feeling of something hard and not moving under him. He holds his head while the world is still moving faster then his eyes can catch.He might be unable to reply for the next few minutes and not even notice and threads like cars driving by or so.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

23. - Top - End - #653

[Seeking the Heart]

Alysha returns Zee's exuberant wave with one of her own.

Hi Zee! We figured here's as good of a place to start looking as any. Might get snacks, too, though. We'll see how the day goes.

The vampire glances at Raril, her head tilted a bit.

Zee told us about the heart, remember? She suggested we go look for it. I mean, yeah, we didn't tell her we'd come here looking for it. But pretty safe bet we're here for some reason connected to it. So a good assumption to make. And correct!

Alysha suddenly snaps her fingers, her expression looking like she just thought of something brilliant.

Oh! Zee works here! Maybe she knows of any connection between Trog's and that arena!

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

24. - Top - End - #654

"Oh no, not portals!" Zee laments to the newcomer. "What sort of stuff were they doing? People tend to have some pretty divergent opinions on what would make the world worse."

Like how some people think toilet paper should be hung with the dangly side facing the wall.

Heathens.

[Seeking the Heart]

Zee then points at Alysha.

"She's got it! Long story short, if it's here I haven't noticed it. And I feel like that would be something that's pretty hard to miss!" she replies. "I've been all over the tavern. Even down in the basement where the Quiet Monster used to live before it got slain."

Wait.

The Quiet Monster was slain?

That's...

Probably good news?

Mostly people just don't seem to like chaotic nonsense so much anymore.

"If I had to wager a guess, I would say look somewhere that people don't normally go," Zee muses. "Maybe even somewhere in the City that people avoid. If the Heart were easy to get to, someone probably would have already stolen it and found a way to turn it into a the power source for a giant laser cannon."

[Outside Trog's]

Geneva holds out a wing for Karl to lean on.

She's a very thoughtful hippogriff, as it happens.

"Do you think you can show me exactly where you appeared?" she asks, doing her best to keep the edge of nervous excitement down. She always gets nervouscited over new research opportunities.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

"Oh no, not portals!" Zee laments to the newcomer. "What sort of stuff were they doing? People tend to have some pretty divergent opinions on what would make the world worse."

Like how some people think toilet paper should be hung with the dangly side facing the wall.

Heathens.
    Xena nods. Right? Portals are the worst, unless you're using them." Xena sighs when Zee asks what they were doing. "You see, I had an idea for a way to eliminate evil from the world. It was foolproof, it was quick, and it would also eliminate anything that would lead to more evil down the road." Xena takes a sip of her tea. "Very good tea. Anyway, I needed a few legendary artifacts to carry out this plan. Some people said the way I got them wasn't right, and that's what my attackers claimed. I politely tried to explain that a few sacrifices could be tolerated if it made life better for everyone, but they didn't listen. Hence, a massive fight that lead to me ending up here."

26. - Top - End - #656

Heathens.

[Seeking the Heart]

Zee then points at Alysha.

"She's got it! Long story short, if it's here I haven't noticed it. And I feel like that would be something that's pretty hard to miss!" she replies. "I've been all over the tavern. Even down in the basement where the Quiet Monster used to live before it got slain."

Wait.

The Quiet Monster was slain?

That's...

Probably good news?

Mostly people just don't seem to like chaotic nonsense so much anymore.

"If I had to wager a guess, I would say look somewhere that people don't normally go," Zee muses. "Maybe even somewhere in the City that people avoid. If the Heart were easy to get to, someone probably would have already stolen it and found a way to turn it into a the power source for a giant laser cannon."

[Outside Trog's]

Geneva holds out a wing for Karl to lean on.

She's a very thoughtful hippogriff, as it happens.

"Do you think you can show me exactly where you appeared?" she asks, doing her best to keep the edge of nervous excitement down. She always gets nervouscited over new research opportunities.
    [Outside Trog's]

Karl waves her wing away.

"Thanks but I m fine." He says "There it is."

He points at the door.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

Sam looks at Zee with a terrified look. He bends over to whisper.
    "You don't mean...that it's in a park, do you?" he asks. He doesn't want to go to Everfree Park. No one does.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

28. - Top - End - #658
    Pixie in the Playground

She's not so much fond of it, as she is impressed by the enchantment. It's also quite useful, since it has a prybar head and the spade of the shovel can lock into position at a ninety degree angle or straight. Plus it extends, which is all very useful.

"I could give a tour now, if you've got nothing else going on. There's a couple spots I know near here." Well, not necessarily near here, but Trog's has an entrance around every corner, and Inside tends to make navigating easier if you know where you're going. "If not, you could just drop down to the interesting fountain on a Wednesday at lunch time. There's a burger van there that has a half-price hump day sale. And they're good burgers, too." Jack nods, and takes a swig of her ginger beer.
    "Ah, I'm afraid I do. I can be here relaxing because I find that I can have a lot of time in Trog's, but once I leave this building I'm heading straight home. I'd rather not have to use too much of my power to juice my ride for the sake of gaining speed." Because then Mirai'd go home and raid the fridge to regain his strength. He and his sister get along really well on account of spending most of their childhood apart, but they still have their fights, mainly food-related. He doesn't need any teen girls complaining to him for stealing the ice-cream she left in the fridge, no thank you. "However..." Unbeknownst to her, at this point he logs it in his personal HUD. "... I'll see you next Wednesday afternoon, we'll get us some burgers." He downs the rest of his beer and places his empty cup on the bar counter. "Speaking of which, my time draws to a close. I still got a little while, but then I must move before I burn too much time."
    Love is the message.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Orc in the Playground

"Then we'd best make this time we've got left count. What is it you actually do? I don't think you've mentioned it." At least, I can't remember it being mentioned. Might have been and I missed it in a quick reread. Jack has another swig of ginger beer, finishing it off and ordering another.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking the Heart]

"I still think we should be looking for the Arena." Raril suggests. "No one goes there anymore, that's for sure."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel