Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 365

Thread: The Cube (IC)

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    hexonxonx's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default The Cube (IC)

    The mayor of Xii'thktor stands over the table, impatient. He fiddles with his dagger, jeweled finders clacking together as he waits for all of you to enter his room. It's the basement of Town Hall, and the air is redolent with the smell of the oak barrels of beer stockpiled here.

    "I am Yashar. I started my life out as a thief, then went into business, and now I am a mayor of a town. Interesting story, huh?"

    He doesn’t wait for any of you to answer.

    "I want you to break into The Cube. None of you know what The Cube is, because none of you are two thousand years old. I myself learned of The Cube from the dead, who are tight-lipped when you first meet them but become very friendly if you give them enough time." Yashar speaks rapidly, lisping his words out of huge canine teeth. You don't know precisely what race he is, except that he looks like the cross between a rat, a lizard and a human. "The dead also assume that the living will forget where they buried their treasure, given enough time. That is their one mistake; they think that the best revenge is a good death, buried with the gold they were too rich to spend in their lifetime. Enough!"

    He unfolds a large map, written on folding copper plates. The copper is ancient, long since gone to green and blue patina, but a feint enchantment has preserved it from rusting entirely. "This is two thousand years old also. It is a cube, as it looks like. The last will and testament of the Lady of Glou-kton and her nameless husband. The Stone Race--no, they no longer exist, their home plane having collapsed on itself long ago--liked their treasure to themselves, and even death could not part them of it. The Cube is a giant metal box about 17 miles out of town. It has remained mostly intact through the centuries, except for a tiny corner that peeps out of the soil. We have no idea how many traps remain in the thing, or how many monster guards still live guard their mistress. Or what, if anything, remains in there. All other tombs of the Stone Race have treasure stockpiles so massive that a convoy of slaves is needed to empty them; I don't see this being any different. Now, you have been so patient as to hear me out; what questions do you have for me about this job?"

    He stands in the middle of the room, obviously impatient to get you out to the site of The Cube. Nonetheless he is apparently willing to listen to any of your concerns.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    in the Parking lot ...

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Hotaru:

    The blonde teenager stepped forward, to pull the map closer and peer at it. "What plane is this on and how are we getting there? If there's as much treasure as you say, will you be equipping us with wagons and guards for them, or are we merely to kill the guardians, spring the traps, and wait for someone else to start clearing things out?"
    My Characters:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari of Ambulating Artifacts:

    Kit, Elven Paladin of Corellon Larethian, lvl 1
    (current) AC 13, hp: 10/10, init +1, Listen/Spot +4

    Kai'Ninaste El'Tir of Lich Ruler:

    Nina, elven Ranger/Rogue of Solonor Thelandira, lvl 2/3
    AC 17, hp: 26/26, init +3, Listen/Spot +12

    Hotaru of The Cube:

    'Ru, half-elven Bard, lvl 5
    AC 16, hp: 20/20, init +2, Listen/Spot +6/+1

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    GMT
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Linon Sirame

    She had made sure to arrive early, and it had paid off. From where she stood she commanded a good view of the room and all those within, without having to look around too conspicuously.

    "What questions do you have for me about this job?" More than you seem to have time for, really. Let's hope the others ask some of them for me, though, or I'll be talking much longer than I care to. By the Cudgel, that man makes me nervous! Breathe in - breathe out - let's see what we have, then, shall we?"

    She attempts to clear her head as she focuses her mind.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Linon begins detecting evil. As a spell-like ability, this does not have any verbal or somatic components, so it shouldn't be obvious.
    Last edited by Taffimai; 2007-09-25 at 05:25 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Loretta

    Arriving a second after on time, Lorretta has been through the Adventure explanation before. Not quite that surprised at the 2000 year old line considering the town and noticeably grinning while she listens to the mayor’s hasty quest.

    "So... a treasure hunt. I've heard that one before. At least it's just treasure riding on our success."

    Loretta stands up and stretches a bit.

    "You seem a bit on edge about us getting there, but if it's sat there 2000 years we can probably take our time and do it safely. Unless you've got an agenda beyond the cities wealth."

    She follows up that comment with a smug smile, followed by a laugh.

    "I'm good to go when everyone else is, day or two out of town ain't that bad. Though for future reference, an agreement on the amount of gold for the job helps."
    It is a rules lawyers duty to point out every mistake by his fellow players, dungeon masters, and everyone else in the room.
    Thank goodness Rule 0 is actually in the book.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    hexonxonx's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Yashar looks at Hotaru and flashes him a very toothy grin.

    "You remind me of me when I was younger. You don't trust me? Is it my questionable parentage? Most of the town knows that I am a tiefling; this is no great secret here. However, I am not evil, and have never once dealt with evil creatures." He shoots an obvious glance at the two aasimars in attendance. "I am merely impatient because word of a treasure pile of this size attracts attention, and I would have members of our town get to it first. News travels fast, even this far out in the Outlands, and parties of adventurers much more powerful, and possibly downright wicked, will cracking open The Cube soon. Perhaps in a few weeks, most likely in a few days. It is in our territory, and we are the rightful owners of the treasures. Besides the Stone Woman, but she is beyond our law, of course." He frowns. "Whatever the legal status is, you are welcome to do what you will with the share of the treasure. Fees are 4000 GP a person, or the equivalent in any loot you find. There are no secrets in Xii'thktor. We are a small town, and I know better than to try to keep a secret from anybody, even myself.

    To Linon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    you detect no evil anywhere around Yashar
    Last edited by hexonxonx; 2007-09-25 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Halna LeGavilk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    John looks around at the others in the group. Then he turned toward Yashar. "I have a few questions.

    Number one: Do you have any information on what might be in the tomb, such as the defenses of other Stone People tombs, or some sort of personal diaries or something?

    Two:Are we going to have a safe area we can retreat to, if things get dangerous?

    Three: Are you gonna be able to send backup, in case a party of unlawful adventurers attacks us?
    " He takes another look around at the party. His gaze lingers on Linon. He then turns to face Yashar. "One last question: When are we moving out?"
    Last edited by Halna LeGavilk; 2007-09-25 at 09:42 PM.
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Jarek yawns, stretches, and lazily looks about the room. He begins tapping his foot without realizing it.

    I'm for going now, my feet are itching to get going, and I agree about treasure not sitting still for as long as we are.

    Jarek rubs his hands together, laces his fingers together, and procedes to pop them in one loud crack
    Last edited by webgem; 2007-09-26 at 12:04 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Hynerst

    Hynerst is staring silently to the ground, standing a comfortable distance away from the others. When Yashar shows the map, he looks up to see it and starts memorising it.
    When questions are asked he starts rocking forward and backward a little bit. When nobody's talking for a few seconds, he starts speaking rapidly and without much intonation, still facing the map "Will there be tomes of knowledge in the treasure? How will we get there?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge history on Lady of Glou-kton - (1d20+8)[12]
    knowledge history on The Stone Race - (1d20+8)[27]
    knowledge the planes on The Stone Race - (1d20+12)[32]
    knowledge architecture on the map of the cube - (1d20+10)[13]

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    GMT
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Linon

    Linon can't help but smile. She has a good feeling about this group.

    That fair, passionate young man is definitely wiser than I was at that age. It wouldn't surprise me if he prooves to be the life of the party.

    As always, you can count on the dwarf to be honorable. She is right, it makes a big difference whether you are questing for mere gold, or whether there are lives at stake. And it is such a relief to see another woman. It makes the question of whom to ask for assistance when getting in and out of my armor so much easier. Asking a man, especially a human one, tends to lead to... unpleasant misunderstandings.

    Another Aasimar? Another paladin, perhaps? And he is obviously curious about me, too. Ah, if only I should be so lucky.

    It is good to find a scholar present, too. Always nice to know that when you're cracking something open, there is someone there who can decipher the code. Maybe he is an archaeologist? A priest or wizard with an interest in history? Whatever he is, he might turn out to be the most valuable party member of us all.

    The furtive looking man is still a mystery. Yet, so must I be. All others have asked sensible questions, showing where their interests lie. And at least the answers are starting to look more solid. Perhaps it is time that I chimed in.


    My colleagues are right. Please be more forthcoming with your information. I understand your need for haste, but we will be risking our lives in there. If one of us were to perish, can you afford to pay for their resurrection? It is in all of our best interests that we should know all there is to know.

    You say these tombes are a way to take revenge, but against whom? And why? What have those other expeditions taught about this Stone Race? Could this lady be convinced to accept death and relinquish her undead state? Could she be bargained with, perhaps? If so, do we have your permission to do so on your behalf? It might help if we knew what you intended to use the money for. How exactly will the people of Xii'thktor benefit from it? Will you see to it that good artefacts are put to good use, and that evil ones are destroyed? Will all books and scrolls we might uncover be made available to those who seek their knowledge?

    I apologize. It is not my intention to offend you. You are the mayor of this town and surely that means you are a responsible man and that your intentions are good. Please know that I have only just arrived and couldn't possibly know about Xii'thktor's laws and customs, nor about the reputation of its ruler. However, also know that I serve St. Cuthbert, and that I will consider whatever you say to be a binding contract.


    Sigh. If anyone here still thinks I'm a mystery they must be deaf. Well, at least it will help to spur things along.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive - (1d20+10)[20](30) Is he telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? Also, in case you require it, Diplomacy - (1d20+6)[1](7)
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    in the Parking lot ...

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Hotaru:

    Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
    Yashar looks at Hotaru and flashes him a very toothy grin.

    "You remind me of me when I was younger. You don't trust me? Is it my questionable parentage? Most of the town knows that I am a tiefling; this is no great secret here. However, I am not evil, and have never once dealt with evil creatures." He shoots an obvious glance at the two aasimars in attendance. "I am merely impatient because word of a treasure pile of this size attracts attention, and I would have members of our town get to it first. News travels fast, even this far out in the Outlands, and parties of adventurers much more powerful, and possibly downright wicked, will cracking open The Cube soon. Perhaps in a few weeks, most likely in a few days. It is in our territory, and we are the rightful owners of the treasures. Besides the Stone Woman, but she is beyond our law, of course." He frowns. "Whatever the legal status is, you are welcome to do what you will with the share of the treasure. Fees are 4000 GP a person, or the equivalent in any loot you find. There are no secrets in Xii'thktor. We are a small town, and I know better than to try to keep a secret from anybody, even myself.
    Hotaru gives Yashar one of his cheekiest but most charming smiles. "Oh, no, sir! It is not that I don't trust you, I find you 'merely' fascinating at worst, and anyone with so much treasure on their borders would be anxious."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+12)[32]

    He drops his voice into a conspiratorial whisper, "I have adventures of my own, you know, that I am most anxious to return to. This trip shall finance those travels exceedingly well."

    While waiting for answers to all the questions that have been asked, Hotaru decides to take a look around at the rest of the assembled adventurers.

    The warrior with St Cuthbert's symbol is beautiful beyond compare and should prove to be a delectable distraction. Teasing paladins is so fun, they're so uptight! The dwarf is a welcome addition (She looks like she knows how to wield that axe, though she seems but lightly armed.) The wizard (How could he be ought else than a wizard?) seems an odd fellow, but one cannot judge a wizard by his appearance alone. The last person, the golden-skinned man, has caught Hotaru's imagination. Perhaps this man knows something of dragons!

    "Hi!" says Hotaru brightly to the rest, addressing them for the first time. "My name is Hotaru, though my friends may call me 'Ru. This shall be exciting, shan't it?"


    ((OOC: woo-hoo! natural 20!))
    Last edited by Grrth; 2007-09-26 at 11:24 AM.
    My Characters:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari of Ambulating Artifacts:

    Kit, Elven Paladin of Corellon Larethian, lvl 1
    (current) AC 13, hp: 10/10, init +1, Listen/Spot +4

    Kai'Ninaste El'Tir of Lich Ruler:

    Nina, elven Ranger/Rogue of Solonor Thelandira, lvl 2/3
    AC 17, hp: 26/26, init +3, Listen/Spot +12

    Hotaru of The Cube:

    'Ru, half-elven Bard, lvl 5
    AC 16, hp: 20/20, init +2, Listen/Spot +6/+1

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Jarek

    Jarek smiles, and relaxes a little bit. The impatient tapping ceases.

    It's been a long time since I've seen somebody that excited about anything, or at least show it so openly. I'm far away now, maybe I can finally let my guard down a little. Jarek looks to the other adventurers and shrugs.

    "Well 'Ru, if I may call you that, people call me Jarek Windspurn. Either name will suffice, and I do believe this will be exciting indeed."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    hexonxonx's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    "The money will be spent how the Town Council seems fit," says Yashar, pointedly at Linon. "It will not go to the Baatezu, or the Illithid, or any of the evil races, if this is the hidden message in your question. It will stay in town, to fortify our position here and keep the commerce open."
    "As to resurrections. If you bring us the body of your fallen comrade, one of our priests will resurrect them free of charge. This is my promise, made on behalf of the entire Town Council," he says.
    "I'm afraid none of our townspeople are up to one last adventure. You are nominally from this town, as you have stayed here some months, but understand that we love Xii'thktor, and would never do anything to harm it, directly or indirectly."
    "I do not know much about the Stone People themselves or whatever traps may lie inside. I don't pretend that this will be easy. It's why I'm paying you all so much. But you are young, and inexperienced, and I could not in good conscience send in such young people as yourselves if I thought you'd get slaughtered."

    To Linon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't think he's lying.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    hexonxonx's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    To Hynerst:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Stone Race were once human, but sold their souls along time ago in a quest for pure, unadulterated power. They were not evil per se, they simply valued power for it's own sake and were willing to get power through any means necessary. They quickly enslaved all other sentient beings on their own home plane, and started invading other planes to obtain more gold, magic items, and slaves. They also borrowed heavily from the celestials and the tanta'rri to get all the magic items they could. Although they were cruel and imperialist, they were most cruel to others of their own kind. They fought constantly with each other in a centuries-long civil war. The war was chaotic; alliances were made and betrayed so often that outsiders could not tell what was happening. They were skilled magicians and logicians, but did not value these arts for their own sake; rather, they valued wealth and power only to lord over their fellow man.
    This could not go on forever. They debts they were in to the Upper and Lower planes remained unpaid, and they were consuming plane after plane in search of more fodder for their perpetual war. In a cataclysmic series of events, their slaves rose against them, and hordes of both angels and devils invaded their home plane. In a matter of weeks they Stone Race was all but destroyed, leaving only a few survivors. These few refugees, hiding wherever they could, remained holed up with their magical treasure, too afraid to leave their sanctuaries and too paranoid to ally themselves with any of their own kind. As this happened so long ago, only the most ancient records still hold information of them.


    You don't know anything about the Lady of Glou-kton herself, or anything about the architecture. Most of the remains are long since turned to ruble that very little archeological evidence of these people remains.


    I suppose you'll relate this to the entire party?


  14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    GMT
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Linon

    Linon weighs the mayor's words, then says:

    Very well, then. I have no reason to think ill of you, and your offer of resurrection is very generous. You can count on me. I will do all I can to make sure that you can send your henchmen in safely and to eliminate any threats to your town.

    She walks over to Yashar to shake his hand, turns to her newfound companions, then turns back and adds, archly:

    I will just trust to the fact that your townspeople would not suffer their council to "see fit" to line their own pockets.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Halna LeGavilk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Just as the others did, Johnathan was forming his own opinions about his companions.Hmm. Well, dwarves are usually dependable, I would expect no less than that of this one. he thought. He secretly checked out the other Aasimar again. Beautiful, an Aasimar. I wonder if she's a fighter. That would be most exciting. He peered over the shoulder of the guy reading the map. Probably a wizard. That's good. We'll need him. He leaned back, and glanced at the two other guys. I'll have to wait and see those other two. He glanced again at the other Aasimar. She is very good-looking.

    He finally turned back towards Yashar. He takes a breath to say something but before he could,

    Quote Originally Posted by Linon
    I will just trust to the fact that your townspeople would not suffer their council to "see fit" to line their own pockets.
    John sighed. "I don't think that comment was necessary." he said, looking at her. Then he turned towards Yashar. "I'm in."
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Loretta

    Loretta sits rather quietly, since she's already said that regardless of the mayor's true intentions she's still going to go. She nods at certain questions asked, and the obvious answers to them. Loretta's heard a lot of stories and knows most of the answers, though the free of charge ressurection was a bit suprising, most people capable of such a feat aren't so easily swayed to use the incredible power of their deity.

    Looks like a pretty rounded party, that's nice, I'd hate to be stuck with those 2 rogues again. Loretta thought, as she recalled a past adventure. As the conversation continues she noted everyone doing the typical party lookover including a brief look at her, and mentally sighed. The tough dependable dwarf... great. Just like last time.

    "...But you are young, and inexperienced, and I could not in good conscience send in such young people as yourselves if I thought you'd get slaughtered."
    Heard that before. Well, time to be a dwarf.

    "Seems like we're all going, Loretta's the name. But let's not waste the mayor's time with introductions, There ought be a tavern nearby where we can share a tale and an ale before we head out. That is unless we're setting foot clear out the door."
    It is a rules lawyers duty to point out every mistake by his fellow players, dungeon masters, and everyone else in the room.
    Thank goodness Rule 0 is actually in the book.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Hynerst

    I don't like how it smells in this basement. Instead of checking out the other party members, he keeps looking at the map, because its complexity and strait lines comfort him.
    Suddenly, he starts to speak, as if reading an entry in a book. He's even moving his head a few millimeter left to right. His voice starts silent and hesitant, but picks up volume and confidence after a few sentences:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: if you read hexonxonx's spoiler, don't read this again, it's identical))
    "The Stone Race were once human, but sold their souls along time ago in a quest for pure, unadulterated power. They were not evil per se, they simply valued power for it's own sake and were willing to get power through any means necessary. They quickly enslaved all other sentient beings on their own home plane, and started invading other planes to obtain more gold, magic items, and slaves. They also borrowed heavily from the celestials and the tanta'rri to get all the magic items they could. Although they were cruel and imperialist, they were most cruel to others of their own kind. They fought constantly with each other in a centuries-long civil war. The war was chaotic; alliances were made and betrayed so often that outsiders could not tell what was happening. They were skilled magicians and logicians, but did not value these arts for their own sake; rather, they valued wealth and power only to lord over their fellow man.
    This could not go on forever. They debts they were in to the Upper and Lower planes remained unpaid, and they were consuming plane after plane in search of more fodder for their perpetual war. In a cataclysmic series of events, their slaves rose against them, and hordes of both angels and devils invaded their home plane. In a matter of weeks they Stone Race was all but destroyed, leaving only a few survivors. These few refugees, hiding wherever they could, remained holed up with their magical treasure, too afraid to leave their sanctuaries and too paranoid to ally themselves with any of their own kind. As this happened so long ago, only the most ancient records still hold information of them."

    Afterwards, he pauses for a second and in his quiet voice again. "I would like to learn more about them"

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    GMT
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Linon

    Linon listens attentively to the green-robed man.

    See? I knew he would be invaluable. It is sad to hear that this is unlikely to be a diplomatic mission, but if their hoard is really as ill-gotten as this man says, it isn't rightfully theirs to begin with. Not in my book, at least. Let's not give up hope, however. 2000 years are a long time; this lady Glou-kton might have realized the silliness of it all.

    She then turns to the Aasimar at her side.

    You are right, of course. It wasn't necessary. Just like it wasn't necessary for him to so sharply remind me of the fact that Xii'thktor's bookkeepings are none of my business. But we can't always be diplomats. After all, part of us is only human.

    She smiles uneasily at her weak attempt at a joke, then shakes off whatever troubles her and continues in a lighter, merrier tone:

    Still, now that we are about to embark on a journey that might turn into weeks or months of armor chafe, redecorating that cube in our blood and throwing up every few minutes because of some exotic poison, only to realize that the 4000 gold we now so gladly accept are no more than a pittance next to the cartloads of treasure that we uncover, won't you feel better knowing that the rest of it is spent on something useful, like lowering taxes, improving the library or a stable interplanar portal, rather than to allow some noble to indulge in her fantasy of bathing in unicorn milk? I know I will.

    At this, she sends a broad smile to Yashar, hoping he will believe that she no longer doubts him. Then, turning back to the party:

    My name is Linon Sirame. Linon, if you will.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Jarek

    Stable interpolar portals indeed. Still, I doubt anyone here is a hunter for HimThat talkative fellow over there, too self absorbed, 'Ru too young, never met a Dwarf who would be that type, the big guy too busy lookin at the girl, and Linon seems too interested in the legal system here. She's a little melodramatic, but I assume that "part of us is human" was a joke. Sort of. It seems my luck is holding. At the very least they seem interesting. Might as well try to have some fun.

    Jarek puts on an a shocked expression. "You mean 4000 gold won't be enough to get me a bath of unicorn milk? You'd think for blood, vomit, and chafing we'd at least get that!" He winks at Linon, "I jest of course fair lady, tis my curse." He bows grandly, as if it serves as an apology.
    Last edited by webgem; 2007-09-27 at 10:15 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    GMT
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Linon

    Linon puts on an air of mock amazement.

    "Cursed you say? Nay, good sir, don't go bowing to me like that, the strain might proove too much! We must get you to a cleric at once! Praise Kord that he has sent us this dwarven maiden to lead us to his temple, or to a tavern, which is the next best thing."

    She looks invitingly at Loretta, waiting for her to lead the way.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Loretta

    Loretta shifts her axe on her back, and makes an exagerant point towards the door, along with a wide smile.

    To the tavern~
    It is a rules lawyers duty to point out every mistake by his fellow players, dungeon masters, and everyone else in the room.
    Thank goodness Rule 0 is actually in the book.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfWarriorGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    in the Parking lot ...

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Hotaru:

    Tapping on the map, Hotaru asks, "May I keep this?"

    Then he'll follow the others to the tavern.

    ((OOC: what time of day is it?))
    My Characters:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari of Ambulating Artifacts:

    Kit, Elven Paladin of Corellon Larethian, lvl 1
    (current) AC 13, hp: 10/10, init +1, Listen/Spot +4

    Kai'Ninaste El'Tir of Lich Ruler:

    Nina, elven Ranger/Rogue of Solonor Thelandira, lvl 2/3
    AC 17, hp: 26/26, init +3, Listen/Spot +12

    Hotaru of The Cube:

    'Ru, half-elven Bard, lvl 5
    AC 16, hp: 20/20, init +2, Listen/Spot +6/+1

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Halna LeGavilk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    "I suppose to the tavern, then." said John with a bit of a smile. "For some reason, almost every adventure I've been on has started in a tavern. Weird." He stops smiling, resuming the neutral expression he usually has on his face. "I'm going to head to the smithy when before we get ready to go. Tell me when you're ready, and I'll head down there, and then meet you guys at the tavern. "

    OOc:How well equipped is the smithy of Xii'thktor? Like, if I wanted to buy a Mirthral Heavy Shield, could I do that?
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    hexonxonx's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    To John: Yes, there are armourers with enough skill to make things out of mithril and such. However, you can't simply buy magic items at stores.

    Yashar looks at Linon and smiles. "You also remind me of myself when I was younger. Different parentage of course, but I saw things in black and white as you did. It took several years of trials and tribulations to beat that out of me. We'll discuss you're future career as a Town Counsel member later, once you get back from beating some skulls in." He means with without rancor.

    He says to Hotaru: "Yes, you can have it in the interim. Keep in mind that map is one of a handful of artifacts left behind by the Stone Race. If you are any kind of historian you will let nothing befall that, as certain museums would pay dearly for it. Don't bother trying to understand the writing, unless you are a prodigy at forgotten languages. None in town can understand it, and even the dead will not tell me what the strange characters mean."

    With that, he ascends the stairs. "If you need anything in town, this is your last chance to get it. We leave early tomorrow afternoon."

    (OOC: It's around midmorning right now.)

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Halna LeGavilk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    OOc: Mithral isn't magic. It's just a material, same as Cold Iron, or Adamantine. In a successful trading post such as Xii'thktor, you could probably buy it in ample quantities.

    Also, mithral is a lot more easily workable than iron or steel, so a skilled armorour could easily make one in a day, or at least upgrade the shield I have now.
    Last edited by Halna LeGavilk; 2007-09-27 at 09:59 PM.
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Hynerst

    As Hotaru takes the map, Hynerst follows it with his eyes longingly.
    "Have you studied the map in more than mundane ways? What divinations have you used? I would like to study the map today."
    A pale hand leaves the pocket of his robe and reaches out for the map. Those nearby can hear a silent shriek coming from that pocket.
    Last edited by Bender; 2007-09-28 at 01:30 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    hexonxonx's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Yashar says, "As far as I know, no historian or scholar has studied the map, there being none in town. Until a few days ago it was buried deep in the earth. No one has seen that map for two thousand years. If you think you can decipher some hint from it, you are more than welcome to try, although I don't see what you can do in a day."
    Last edited by hexonxonx; 2007-09-28 at 06:11 AM. Reason: re-edit

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Belgium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Hynerst

    "Divination magic can uncover many secrets. I might uncover some even in one day."
    If no one objects, Hynerst takes the map carefully.
    (would that be ok with Hotaru, since he already claimed the map? I'll wait for his consent before I have Hynerst leave with it. He won't want to join you in the tavern anyway and meet with you later.)

    ((Ooc: oops, no scholars in town. I'll have to change my background, he can't be a local. Can he be from Sigil?))
    Last edited by Bender; 2007-09-28 at 07:42 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    GMT
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Linon

    While walking to the tavern, Linon tries to engage Loretta in conversation.

    "You seem to know your way around here. Do you live in Xii'thktor?"

    Once there, she takes her time to choose a drink, looking for something she has never tasted before. A local specialty catches her eye, and she drinks it very slowly, savouring each sip.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MonkGirl

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Cube (IC)

    Loretta

    "Aye, since I was wee. It's quite a nice place, if you don't mind the oddity of it all. Everyone here has a story to tell, though not all of them are willing to tell it."


    Loretta makes sure to walk a little faster than usual, since a dwarf's walking speed isn't quite as fast as the taller races and she'd rather not slow them down by being the lead.

    Loretta orders an ale, and some form of meat, like a dwarf ever eats anyhting different.
    It is a rules lawyers duty to point out every mistake by his fellow players, dungeon masters, and everyone else in the room.
    Thank goodness Rule 0 is actually in the book.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •