New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Chronicles of A Twisted Ascension IC

@Nuramon: What happened here?

Ben looks tired and the crude weapon he wields is about to bust apart, being rendered useless.

The man turns around with tears on his face ti greet you and is quick to wipe them off his face, picking up the busted club.

“The vents, yes. They carry sound. I was told by the family next door they heard Mama Gulvieg and she sounded unwell. They knocked on my door immediately and I came to check on her.

The rain must’ve covered her voice and sound for you not to hear her, but that’s not important now.”

Ben points at the strange statue with a shaky hand.

“That’s Mama Gulvieg. She was our spiritual leader. Gave us guidance. A kind and selfless woman. Hard to find someone like that here.

I walked in not too long ago and there she lay, in the middle of the room, saying things I have never heard before. Things that make no sense and then...”

Ben drops on his knees and drops his weapon, holding his face and shaking his head in disbelief and pain.

“Then she burst into flames! Her expression... the sheer pain before our gentle mother turned into that!”

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The rain must’ve covered her voice and sound for you not to hear her...
    Nuramon wasn't proud that he was just too afraid to react to the sounds he heard and it seems that Brn accepted it like it was, so he said nothing about this topic.

He walked towards Ben and laid his hand on this brave man. “What are we doing now, with her? I mean... is there anything I can help you with?

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: Try as you can to sleep...

You can excuse the scout moving you aside as gently as he can, but the fool left the door ajar... and the reflective light from a lantern hits you in the face. This is followed by light footsteps outside your room and more annoyingly:

A grown man's crying. Inns are supposed to be a place of rest, for crying out loud!

@Nuramon: The rain covered her cries to him... but not to you.

Of course, Ben need not know that, as the light steps of the other tenants herald their arrival- at least six men, women and children. A few carry candles and gasp in shock while you place your hand on Ben's shoulder and assure him that it will all be fine.

Ben gets up and picks his very crude and nearly broken weapon, wiping the tears from his eyes as he turns to look at those under his care and urges you to do the same.

"We have to remain calm, people. I don't know what happened here, but I believe it was mama Gulvieg's desire that....""

Ben's encouraging words are cut short as one of the women in the hallway screams in sheer terror and points towards both of you...

Or rather, behind you, as you instinctively roll back and Ben grips his crude weapon in fear as you look at the statue that used to be this very important person for this group.

Lightning flashes outside, followed by a thunderous boom as the statue begins to crack and pieces fall to the ground as something bloated, slimy and utterly disgusting claws its way out, shuddering all over is given birth as it twitches once more and grins at all of you, emitting a disturbing baby like wail:

What has happened here? Is this their beloved Gulvieg? The people here are terrified and screaming. Ben is too much in shock and too close to this...thing, whatever it may be.

Spoiler: What has spawned?
    Show
    Roll a Knowledge (Dungeoneering) check. Trained only

Spoiler: Roll Initiative
    Show

Mama Gulvieg: (1d20+3)[17]

Nuramon: (1d20+7)[23]

Davish, being awakened if not earlier by Nuramon moving him, would be very much awake now due to the screaming, so he rolls initiative as well.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2020-03-25 at 03:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ben is a real leader, how knows how to calm down his friends. But what? Oh my goodness, maybe Nuramon should have stayed in his room... No! He had fought other creepy things. Most of the time magical beasts and undead. He knew a little thing about aberrations, but this *thing* was unknown to him.

And it was going to attack them. He came over, to help Ben, and help is much needed right know. With his bursted stick, Ben wouldn't stand long against it.

Flame“. His scimitar was set aflame. No fear was left in Nuramons eyes. He wasn't 5 anymore. He's a grown up man. He can fight. He's a soldier. No fear. Only the pure will to kill this thing.

DAVISH! ATTACK!“ he shouted while closing the distance between himself and the monster. He wasn't running - he danced! And while he danced around here, he striked her with his swords and ended his dance between her and Ben

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    free action, flaming sword
    Dervish dance. Round 1/6
    Accelerated tumble. -10 to check (DC 25) for tumbling at full speed. He can take 10 and with his 22 on tumble, this is a check
    Twf penalty -2, dervish dance bonus +2
    Swift action: skirmisher boots
    Flat damage bonus: STR+2, +1weapon, +2 dervish dance, +2 skirmisher boots

Attack (main hand, flaming) (1d20+17)[25] damage (1d6)[2] + (1d6)[5] flaming + (2d6)[7] +7

Attack (main hand, flaming) (skirmisher boots)(1d20+17)[26] damage (1d6)[6] + (1d6)[6] flaming + (2d6)[9] +7

Attack (main hand, flaming) (1d20+12)[28] damage (1d6)[2] + (1d6)[5] flaming + (2d6)[6] +7

Attack (off hand, silver) (1d20+17)[26] damage (1d6)[4] + (2d6)[8] +6

Due to skirmish, AC now is 25

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Laura raises an eyebrow at Einkil's adamancy that he will not be carried. She wonders briefly if mortal peril might sway him from his certainty. Maybe not, if he's as stubborn as Bhagazzin. Still, she chooses not to antagonize him by pressing the topic further.

"Alright. In four or five hours then," she replies, wrapping the blanket around herself and curling up on the sofa.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

@Nuramon: What in the good name of the Traveler has befallen this place?

You have fought all manner of enemies. From those that look and speak like you, to those of a wholly different nature... but never one such as this thing. It crawled out of that statue, like...

No. Not a statue. A cocoon.

Davish may not be in the same room, but he should not be too far away as you fix eyes with this bloated creature as it jiggles and twitches all over, grinning maliciously as the refugees under Ben's banner freeze in fear.

You need the marshal at your side, but right now, your training under Julius is about to be unleashed in full force, as the room alights due to your blade igniting and time skips a beat as you dash past Ben and perform the deadly dance of blades , appearing and reappearing around the bloated creature's body. each strike true, as gashes are left on this hideous monster's bulbous hide and purple blood drops on the ground, causing it to wail in pain before you lower your stance and admire your handiwork.

You cut it good. Not a single miss. Hard to miss a creature as bloated as this one, as its blood drips on the ground and ben watches in disbelief at your prowess with the blade.

The creature wails in pain, but just as quickly cackles maniacally as it extends its arms and jiggles its body around, not unlike some victory dance... but why?

And then you see why...

Every last cut you made on it. Every gash, an opened wound. the easier for this rotten balloon to deflate, as a cloud of bluish green gas nearly obscures vision and spreads from this creature in a twenty foot radius.

You watch Ben cough loudly and immediately drops to the ground, convulsing and foaming at the mouth. Several thuds are heard behind you as those in the doorway too fall to these noxious fumes and collapse on the spot.

Being right in the middle of it, your fate might not fare better than theirs.

Spoiler: Viral Bloom
    Show
    Roll a Fortitude DC 26. Failure leaves Nuramon at 0 HP and unconscious.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Nuramon
    Davish*
    Mama Gulvieg*

*Initiative subject to change depending on Davish's initiative roll

7. - Top - End - #397
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Davish could stomach being moved about like a sack of meal, but the rising voices in the hall followed shortly by a scream were enough to rouse him. Leaping to his feet he heads out into the hall to investigate.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

@Nuramon: What... is... this thing?!

Your whole body aches before your nervous system shuts down and you see black before your eyes roll to the back of your head and the last thing you hear is your body dropping like a bag of rocks on the creaky floorboards as the creature Ben held in such high regard, cackles like some twisted infant before you pass out.

@Davish: Enough laying down.

Struggling to get off the haversack, you nearly trip on it as Nuramon's voice calls out to arms from the room next door. Nirvana is already in your hands as you step out to the corridor and glance at a few refugees standing utterly petrified at the thresh hold of their rooms, candles in hand as you race towards the source of the scouts voice and stop.

It's a room, just like yours. Unlike yours, there is a billowing greenish blue cloud of roiling gas emanating from the door. It has taken most of the hallway and you don't need a keen eye to notice a few silhouettes prone on the ground as one of the children a few doors back hails your attention.

"Not safe, sir! Ben and your friend went inside Mama Gulvieg's room. Then we heard some fighting and then that gas came out. It knocked them out cold immediately. Be careful!""

You can't see Ben or Nuramon out here. The kid says they're inside. The silhouettes on the ground outside the room seem too small and thin to be the scout or the apprentice smith. Getting out of the haversack and room have left you winded..and then it is that you hear it from inside the room.

A cackling mixed with a wail, like that of some baby, albeit with a twisted touch to it. This is followed by the sound of scrapings on walls and then the cackling can be heard no more.

Round 2

@Nuramon: You may be knocked unconscious, but even so, you are laid smack in the middle of Gulvieg's gassy burst as you try and open your eyes amidst these noxious fumes, only to cough some blood and recede back into unconsciousness.

This gas is deadly. It acts fast. You can't move a muscle, but worse... you are having trouble breathing.

Spoiler: Viral Bloom, Part 2
    Show
    (1d4)[1](1) Constitution Drain

Show
    Nuramon
    Davish
    Mama Gulvieg

9. - Top - End - #399

DruidGuy

Without a moment's hesitation, Davish begins with ordering the child that addressed him to get those that are able to move downstairs and away from this mess. Then, with even less thought as pure force of will takes over Davish sprints to the door, commanding his shield into place on the run

Spoiler
    Show

probably still the cloud right? unless it dissipitates in 1 round...

fort save
    (1d20+13)[20]

and if that was to fail, immediately iron heart focus to roll again
    (1d20+13)[17]

if both of those fail, iron heart surge to negate it, which unfortunately is a standard action and would leave me unable to attack this round, but i'd still be standing

then, assuming the creature can still be seen, it is time to unleash hell.

if the save works either time, tell me what's going on in the room so i can finish out my turn
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

That was accurate! Every strike a hit! Eat this monster!

But instead of suffering in pain or even striking back, it started to dance, too? Are you kidding me? And then Nuramon saw why. The additional openings through it's cuts let some gas flow even faster. Bad. Really bad.

He tried to resist the poison - whatever it was - but he failed. A second later, he collapsed and everything turned dark. He failed...

He wasn't dead, ok. Barly he could open his eyes and it was hard to breath. Everything hurts. Now it was up to Davish. Hopefully he heard him before and doesn't have a deep slumber.
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2020-03-26 at 06:59 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: This is an emergency.

If you are going to deal with whatever left those people knocked down, you can’t have collateral damage. And so, you order the girl and any around to leave the immediate area as you look at the roiling greenish blue cloud and brave it...

This is pure poison. Your nostrils burn by merely inhaling it as you dash inside, shield covering your front and nearly trip with n the bodies at the entrance.

Your training is good. But it has to be put to the limit in order to be able to survive through this gas. Gas that isn’t dissipating.

A few things stand out once you walk in.

For one, Ben and Nuramon are knocked down on the ground. Just like the bodies at the entrance. The scout doesn’t show any injuries- he was dropped immediately.

Despite that, Nuramon holds on to his weapons firmly in his hands. Because of the scout’s flaming blade, you can see their faces better- they have gone pallid, with sunken holes beneath their eyes. At Death’s Door.

And finally, close to Nuramon, you see a thin trail of purple blood that leads to one of the vents on the wall leading to the next room.

But nothing else.

12. - Top - End - #402

DruidGuy

Protect life, until Death.

Quickly sheathing his sword, once again without spilling a single drop of blood. Davish grabs both Ben and Nuramon and drags them from the room, back out of the cloud and to relative safety. Then returns and collects those that have fallen in the hallway, until all are out of harm's way. With barely a pause, he also grabs Nuramon's bedroll and flings it behind him, there to fall to the entrance below. The enemy, whatever it is, will be allowed to escape...this time. Calling to those assembled below, he orders them to each grab one of the fallen and to make for the lobby below. Next, to light whatever candles or torches they might have to provide light, and lastly to set some sort of watch and to raise the alarm should ANYTHING out of the ordinary be sighted.

Finally, a request.

Are there any healer's here. My path followed a different tack, I have not the knowledge to heal your fallen. All i can do is be a shield against evil and hope that is enough to see us through this night.

Collecting Nuramon, he packs him into his bedroll to gain whatever benefit he might, and then turns to stand watch. A resolute sentinel ready to fight off any would be challenger to the safety of those gathered behind him.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

if the book had been left in the room as well, davish would grab it on his tactical retreat and stow it once again in his haversack..
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: This is what you were trained to do.

The gas here is extremely noxious. Lethal. Walking in and out of this cloud, even with your superb training... may not be enough.

Choices have to be made, and strong as you may be, you cannot carry all of them in one go. So, you make your choice- take out those closest to you.

Ben and Nuramon weigh a ton as you drag them out of the room and drop the deathly ill smith for care under one of the tenants. Nuramon is taken to your room and wrapped in his bag. The better to carry him.

It is then that you hear that disturbing wailing from the other room, followed by loud coughing and several other bodies hitting the floor.

Those on the fourth floor with you tend to Ben while a woman shakes her head.

“Mama Gulvieg was our spiritual leader, sir. But not a healer herself. Ben, though: he kept some supplies on the fifth floor. Pretty sure in his room. I don’t know which room is his, though..”

Round 3

@Davish: It’s a collective sigh as you watch the bodies by the entrance breathe their last and Ben, tended by one of his own, roll his eyes and breathe no more.

The cloud has begun to dissipate, but not entirely.

@Nuramon: Whether wrapped in a cot or bag...

You may as well be the placed in a coffin.

Spoiler: Viral Bloom, Part 3
    Show
    Roll a Fortitude save, with your adjusted Constitution score

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    Laura raises an eyebrow at Einkil's adamancy that he will not be carried. She wonders briefly if mortal peril might sway him from his certainty. Maybe not, if he's as stubborn as Bhagazzin. Still, she chooses not to antagonize him by pressing the topic further.

"Alright. In four or five hours then," she replies, wrapping the blanket around herself and curling up on the sofa.
    Einkil nods as Lauara says to wake her in four or five hours, a reasonable request he thinks as he lets the human warrior sleep on the couch. While the woman sleeps Einkil slowly makes a habit of patrolling the area's of the house with windows, making sure to start his checks every ten minutes or so just to be sure, while he allows his connection to the earth to stretch when he isn't walking around and is instead sitting by the fire polishing his hammer, armor and shield. When he is done with his own he looks at the barbarians gear, then back at her sleeping form before shrugging and sharpening the greataxe with a whetstone he carries on him, trying to clean the weapon and make it as sharp as he could saying the armor was to far gone for him to repair properly without a forge. After all he could hit out the dings in the armor, however the places where something pierced the armor he couldn't close with the small amount of heat coming off of the fireplace, and he dare not try to make it bigger as he was unsure of the building being able to take the heat.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: Maybe it's the sudden emergency all around you.

Perhaps it's this mission, failed from the start and issued by the highest echelons of the Cuthbertine Order. One that cannot be fixed. Not by just one man.

As you hold Nuramon's face and watch him expire and hear the cries of terror a few rooms away, followed by the thuds of bodies hitting the floor, time flows incredibly fast and incredibly slow. Enough for you to forget about everything else...

But there is little time to be idle.

Round 4

The first thing that catches the corner of your eye is the woman sobbing over Ben's body embraces him... or it is the other way around? The woman gurgles in pain as those around her and Ben take a few steps back as the cloud of gas begins to dissipate.

Wasn't he dead? he was dead... but. An explosion of blood from the poor woman says otherwise as she coils back on the ground, holding her neck and convulsing all over as the group on the hall way scream louder in sheer terror and you watch the other six souls begin to stand up, growls and claws and red flesh, as ben begins doing the same and then you turn back to look at Nuramon:

What on earth has happened to them?! But little time to react before the scout takes a bite at your face.

Spoiler: Infected Bite
    Show
    (1d20+9)[14] if hit, Davish takes (1d6+6)[10] damage and must make a Fortitude DC 20

The people on the hallway begin to panic as they either run for their rooms and close the doors or flee down and up the stairs as the newly formed ghouls give chase, some being faster than their former friends and going inside the rooms before the door closes behind them, sending cries of pain, agony and fear all around the building, along with ravenous howls and disturbing wails.

16. - Top - End - #406

DruidGuy

thoughts stream through his mind faster than flash paper he's seen street magicians use to awe the crowds with when he was a boy.

Da.
    Cook.
    Duty.
    How he felt upon passing selection and being named Marshall.
    Moments of joy with friends from days past... and now.

Nuramon, who is no more.

Nirvana.

Embrace Death, Protect Life.

Screaming to those who he is still able to save Outside with the lot of you, NOW!

For the second time this night, Nirvana flies to his hand faster than thought. Yet this time it shall not be sheathed again. First the immediate threat in front of him, as again he calls his shield into being.

FOR THE CUDGEL!

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

should an attack drop Nuramon, the next would move on to Ben, and then so on outward within a 20ft bubble around him.

(1d20+14)[34] for (3d6+38)[46] normal + (2d6)[5] holy + (1d6)[4] vs undead. -5 on attack to +10 damage from power attack
    (1d20+14)[15] for (3d6+28)[39] normal + (2d6)[11] holy + (1d6)[4] vs undead.
    (1d20+9)[27] for (3d6+28)[43] normal + (2d6)[3] holy + (1d6)[2] vs undead.

Davish then takes a 5ft step backwards.

should the attacks from these ghouls be considered "energy drain, death spells or effects, or inflict spells, Davish would get +3 to the save, please advise if that is so

Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: You have not seen something like this... ever.

Was it that gas? You were told it knocked Ben and Nuramon out, as well as a few others, but that was less than a minute ago. It is poison, but no poison you know of can do this to people.

As a marshal, it is your job to protect the innocent. Get them to safety. Cleanse this place...

And then Nuramon, dead and arisen again as a whole new threat, takes a bite out of your cheek, chomping at your flesh with his sharp teeth. the only thing that makes this man recognizable from the other ghouls are his foreign trappings. Nothing else of the scout remains.

This bite of his... it hurts. And although it may not be magical in nature, it is no less deadly, as you feel a burning sensation where the former scout bit you.

Whatever it is, it isn't something your fancy gear can cover up. But that will have to wait, as you unsheathe Nirvana and with a quick swipe, behead Nuramon, whose head rolls down the hallway.

It's a second swing that beheads Ben, feasting on one of his own. The poor woman backs up on the floor against a wall and tries to cover the bite wound on her neck, but to no avail- her death rattle is all too well known for you before the mercy folk dies in a pool of her own blood, with a beheaded Ben close by.

No time to mourn. You need to secure this place and order people to get out of this building as fast as they can. You are four stories up. They should be able to outrun these creatures as a few dart past you and nearly knock each other running down the stairs as you get a clearer view with Ben's lantern left on the ground and spot three of these rotten cannibals twenty feet down the hallway, growling and roaring at you.

The sounds of more of them can be heard inside a few rooms. Not everyone was fast enough to lock themselves in and so, they must be fending for their own lives right now.

It is then that sixty feet down the hall, amidst Ben's waning light, you watch a door open and a cloud of that greenish blue smoke escape it as a child takes a few steps and coughs loudly before collapsing on the floor.

What follows out of that room is a grotesque bloated creature that wails and cackles dementedly as it doesn't even pay attention to you and turns the doorknob on the room across the one it left, bumbling inside and causing more shrieks from the tenants within.

That must be the thing doing all of this, but before you can reach it, the three ghouls roar loudly and swing claws as they make a mad dash towards you. No slow shuffling here: these things are incredibly fast, as they reach out with their sharp claws first, attempting to pin you down and bite you immediately on the neck!

Spoiler: Powerful Charge
    Show
    1st Charge: (1d20+11)[30] if hit, Davish takes (2d6+12)[21] damage plus improved grab DC (1d20+9)[26], if unable to break the grapple, automatic bite damage (1d6+6)[8] plus Fortitude save DC 20

2nd Charge: (1d20+11)[13] if hit, Davish takes (2d6+12)[18] damage plus improved grab DC (1d20+9)[13], if unable to break the grapple, automatic bite damage (1d6+6)[7] plus Fortitude save DC 20

3rd Charge: (1d20+11)[15] if hit, Davish takes (2d6+12)[19] damage plus improved grab DC (1d20+9)[16], if unable to break the grapple, automatic bite damage (1d6+6)[8] plus Fortitude save DC 20

You were able to dispatch two effortlessly, but can you take on three in such close quarters? If any of them get ahold of the survivors here, they are dead.

And if you don't hurry up, more are bound to come after you...

Round 5

Show
    Davish
    Mama Gulvieg
    Ghouls

18. - Top - End - #408

DruidGuy

Cursing as the flood of enemies multiplies in front of him, there is naught to do but tactically retreat from this place for he can not withstand them all. As a rock in a maelstrom, he will break the tide around him, but should any get past, those he is sworn to protect will suffer the consequences. And so, pride be damned, he must protect those he can, and let the rest go. Feeling the pain of ravenous claws find the few small chinks in his armor, Davish again invokes the cudgel and swings at the enemies in front of him. He must hold for a few moments to allow his charges a chance. One precious moment for Nirvana to flash again, and so he yells defiance into death's embrace, and spurs the innocent to move ever faster.

Spoiler
    Show

first to break the grapple
    (1d20+18)[34]

3 enemies, same rules as before, drop one, move on to the next
    (1d20+19)[21] for (3d6+28)[40] +(2d6)[3] holy, + (1d6)[6] undead
    (1d20+14)[25] for (3d6+28)[41] +(2d6)[12] holy, + (1d6)[1] undead
    (1d20+9)[10] for (3d6+28)[41] +(2d6)[10] holy, + (1d6)[2] undead

should the grapple succeed, because, dice roller hates me, instead of attacking, he'll use the anklets to teleport away, and then use the withdraw action to begin heading down the stairs, picking up any of the innocent that he can along the way. if need be, throwing them gently behind him as he goes down the stairs.

And while help has been rare in this quarter, there must always be hope, and so Davish raises the armcry, hoping to rally others to his banner. Perhaps there is another nearby who might hear.

UP SWORDS, RALLY TO ME, UP SWORDS FOR YOUR LIVES!
    Show

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: You are strong against these abominations.

But you won't be able to take them on all night. Eventually, you will tire. Nirvana will seem like a burden rather than an extension of your self and your legs and stance will falter, allowing for these ghouls to feast upon your flesh like they have done with the others up here.

You need to leave this accursed building. Get as many as you can out... and pray for the best.

Nirvana is far from being a burden. Each swipe a calculated cut, which severs two of these unwholesome creatures as their bodies drop to the ground and two more heads roll.

The third one, though, has managed to duck at the last second as it gets in your face and growls before attempting to sink his rotten teeth into your neck and claw at your arms with unnatural strength.

Spoiler: Full Attack
    Show
    1st Claw: (1d20+9)[21] if hit, Davish takes (1d8+6)[8] damage

2nd Claw: (1d20+9)[19] if hit, Davish takes (1d8+6)[11] damage

Bite: (1d20+4)[16] if hit, Davish takes (1d6+3)[6] damage plus Fortitude DC 20

Whether scratched or bitten, you call out to arms, and then it hits you:

These men, women and children... they aren't warriors. Ben was the strongest in their group and he used a makeshift club. Hell, they don't even have any healers in their midst. At best, perhaps a few might gather the courage to stick a makeshift shiv into their rotten sides, but what good will that do before the poor soul is devoured?

It is then that a room further back opens and out comes that bumbling bloated fiend, trailing that lethal bluish green smoke as more bodies can be heard dropping and it jiggles in anticipation and directs its eyeless gaze at you from sixty feet away , as a woman's voice rings inside your mind amidst the chaos:

Has the Cudgel decided to come here? Do they not know better? Or perhaps...

One puppet pulls at the strings of another?

Whoever spoke to your mind, leaves with a chuckle as the creature further back, disgusting and bloated, wails and jiggles its entire body as the floorboards and walls around you begin to shake and rumble, causing the creature to raise its disgusting flabby arms as a myriad of tentacles break the floorboards and walls, holding you tight down the hallway and using you as a the epicenter, attempting not only to hold you down fast, but breaking every last bone in your body.

The ghoul next to you is held as well, but the creature down the hallway doesn't seem to care for its well being- not that this cannibal is being hurt as bad as you by the crushing vise these tentacles have become.

Spoiler: Black Tentacles
    Show
    Grapple DC: (1d20+22)[29] if Davish fails to break free, he takes (1d6+4)[5] bludgeoning damage

20. - Top - End - #410

DruidGuy

Thrice more Nirvana flashes, and twice more heads roll. yet the third has escaped it's fate for the moment, as another claw finds a hole in his armor to tickle him. Then, from down the hall...a monstrosity, an abomination is seen. Surely it is the source of all this corruption, and just as sure to face it alone is death, the end of all things except to perhaps come back as one of these mindless things. And then, an explosion of tentacles from all around grabs him, trying to hold him in place for some nefarious reason that he can't allow to happen.

Spoiler: rolls and ooc
    Show

I wasn't yelling for the people around me to take up arms, but on the very off chance someone outside that was capable might hear and intervene. i know these folks would get slaughtered.

(1d20+18)[20] to escape the grapple.

once again, if that fails, anklets to escape and then RUN.
    and since the anklets would still place him in the aoe of the tentacles, and you might want it, another grapple check just in case
    (1d20+18)[34]

whether that's at 3x or 4x speed depending on what you're going off of, thats either 90 or 120ft of travel, modified by the aoe of these tentacles of course. if that gets him close enough to the lobby but still on the stairs to the point where a jump would get him further away.

jump
    (1d20+20)[27]

and a graceful landing
    tumble: (1d20+17)[25]
    if needed.

should he make it to the door, let me know what that is to break it down as it's still locked i think.

Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

@Moses: Normally, you'd be indoors on a night like this.

The hood wrapped tightly over your head and your cloak fighting to be blown away, you walk through the trash laden streets of The Mercy as your contact's words echo again in your mind:

Couple of stooges from beyond the wall. One talks too much... and the other talks like a fool. However, their stories check out and they look strong. Perhaps they could be willing to lend us a hand here?

Not only have a bunch of people been flocking in since Connor took to power- yourself included- but many have made power moves to claim The Mercy as their own. This of course, does not sit well with a lot of people here. Many value their independence and freedom. They don't want some warlord imposing over them, toying with their lives.

And although there are many such splinter groups found around The Mercy, one has caught your people's attention. A group sinister enough to give most of your own people pause and enough to forbid you from taking them on alone...

Until earlier today. Soldiers, by the description. Well armed and trained. No apparent allegiances to Connor or any faction beyond the wall. Willing to help, good. Except...

They aren't where they were supposed to be. Your people were to keep tabs on them, but these guys decided to do some sight seeing and meshed with the rain and alleys and got lost. Now, it falls upon you and what few information you have on these soldiers of fortune to find them if they are to be on your side.

Plus, if the intel you got is true, they're fish out of water in this place....and those get eaten.

Fortunately, given their description and what they wear, it isn't hard to find people who have seen them. It's almost as if they're begging to get caught, but as the sun sets and the rain keeps on pouring, traces of them vanish like trash down a sewer drain. You know better than to wander the streets at this hour and in this weather. It's not so much the rival gangs- you can handle them...

And it's then that your ears pick up a shriek- a woman. The sound of fear. Not a good sound. Never was here, much worse in these last few months.

Rounding an alley, you stop in front of a particularly tall building. This one, like many in The mercy, has boarded up windows. You already know that is a bad sign and these are best avoided, but...

Light. You can see light flickering on and off from several stories up. The sound of growls become intertwined with those of the innocent...

They are being butchered inside.

@Davish: You can't stay here and face them all alone.

Nirvana is thirsty and given the scenario, it may yet drink its fill, but there are people that need rescuing. These ghouls... former men and women, they aren't the real threat:

That noxious bloated walking cancer is. Engaging it right now would be unwise. Not that it's allowing you much breathing room before the entire hallway erupts in rubbery tendrils that crush the air out of you, with the red headed cannibal snapping his jaws way too close to your face, wrapped in this tentacled mess with you.

Staying right now would be futile. You need to escape this place. Fighting that thing will most likely net you the same end as Nuramon and so, unable to wrest yourself free from this creature's grasp, you employ your anklets for the last time today and move away from the tangled undead and then through sheer strength of will and impeccable training, manage to muscle your way out of the field, looking back at the creature as this one leaps onto the ceiling way back and climbs another vent.

You need to make your exit out of this place. Running is preferred, as the screams of men, women and children echo through the building and so do the roars of the newly risen undead as you run down the stairs, leaping over dead bodies which will hopefully remain that way before one such ghoul drops from a higher floor and collapses against one of the railings, creating a small collapse that blocks you and about six survivors on the second floor and from reaching the lobby below.

Your assessment was correct: these people cannot fend for themselves. They are followers, not leaders. and right now, they are terrified, as the growls from the undead in the floors above cause more than a few of them to cover their mouths and their eyes to shed tears, while one of the older feeble men in this motley group catches his breath and points down at the lobby.

"Ben had the key... even if we make through the rubble, we won't be able to escape. We are going to die here!!!"

22. - Top - End - #412

DruidGuy

Hope is not yet lost, get to the door, I'll have it open by the time you get there. MOVE

jumping over the railing to the floor below, Davish hastens to the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    only 1 floor up, so 10ft drop, not bothering w/ a jump roll, just tumble to negate damage

(1d20+17)[28]

then a single melee attack to break the lock outright

(1d20+14)[30] for (3d6+38)[48] damage

followed up if needed with a boot to the door, straight strength check i assume?

(1d20+7)[23]
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: You aren't going to die here.

Many will not make it out of this building alive- you cannot save them all. Fate is a Cruel Mistress and the die is cast. Not only are these men, women and children gone, but you had to behead a seemingly good person, who like you, was here from across The Wall. A time for mourning and reflection will have to wait. Right now, you need to escape.

The group with you will have to wait a bit as you leap off the railing and land with a loud thud on the lobby, taking notice that the upper floors have begun to burn- all those candles used for lighting and he dead that carried them now spread it within this abandoned building. because what else could go bad?

You look back at the survivors, who are on edge and nod to one of them- it's going to be alright. You are getting them out of this place as the entire lobby shakes, but your resolve remains unbroken, as you find your center and head towards the door, blade ready and...

It's a massive load bearing pillar that blocks the entire door area, preventing your escape. Something just landed in the lobby with you as the flames from the floors above shed some light and you keen your eyes as a figure towers above yours:

Looks like a man, but as tall as an ogre. No weapons of any sorts. No fancy armor or gadgets that adorn him. But his eyes, crimson in color as they focus on you, belie something else entirely:

He's not an accident. This thing is here for a purpose as he cracks his knuckles and takes a single heavy step towards you.

Show
    Davish
    Unknown

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Moses walks around in The Mercy, searching for the two soldiers. His sources out there told him, that they were seen around here. Although it's raining cats and dogs, it's night and he's not around “his“ block, he's whistling a song. He always whistles or humms or so.

A scream! Not good. Quickly he found the house, where the screaming came from. Boarded up windows. Not good! No red signs. Good! Light inside. Good! Again screaming. Bad.

One two three he sprinted up the few stairs and tries to open it.

25. - Top - End - #415

DruidGuy

Of late, taking things at face value has turned out to not work for the best in most situations, so perhaps a moment of reflection was called for in this situation. Perhaps this giant simply wishes to get out, and his eyes are red from the smoke. If it is indeed something sinister, then that will be taken in turn as well, and perhaps swing Davish back towards rash action instead of this new introspection.

Taking a step to the side, and setting himself in somewhat of a defensive posture, he calls out to the Giant imploringly.

Sir, could you help me move this beam, these folk can't get out

Spoiler
    Show

fighting defensively, -4 to attacks, +2 to AC. +2 AC vs larger from stonefoot stance as well. (24 total)
    Show

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

@Moses: Whistling under the rain? Why not.

Anything to keep your mind off the fact that you may be walking into enemy turf. Had these fools stayed in place, this wouldn't be your task but such but such is life as you the rain intensifies. No point wasting your time here looking for a couple of lost pigeons, best head back and...

Something's not right.

Screams coming from a nearby building. Boarded up windows, but no signs... still. It wouldn't be the first time this district has messed up more than their fair share of things.

Willing and very much able to provide assistance, you head up the stairs and turn on the doorknob...

Only to find this one locked....and by the sounds of it, there's some fight inside.

@Davish: Big burly giant collapsed from the ceiling and blocked the escape...

Best not to rush into conclusions as the small group of escapees under your watch shriek in fright and the bald man focuses his sights entirely on you as his pupils give off a crimson glow.

It doesn't seem to have taken notice of the others- it is solely focused on you. And given that is the scenario, you back up and straighten your defenses, speaking out to the hulking figure as it cracks his neck and knuckles and takes massive heavy footsteps towards you while more fiery debris falls on the entrance.

He doesn't even addresses your words. This guy goes straight to the point, rearing his right arm as his crimson pupils fixate on yours and like a steam powered train, his fist connects with your face, causing every last bone in your body to crack in unison as your body fights the massive strength of this titan to send you flying away!

Spoiler: Awesome Blow
    Show
    (1d20+19)[38] if hit, Davish takes (3d6+19)[31] damage and must make a DC = Damage dealt or fly back 10ft. and end prone* on the ground.

*Prone

The character is on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a –4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a –4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.

Standing up is a move-equivalent action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

Regardless of whether you managed to avoid the worst, this thing doesn't even bother answering you- it simply cracks his knuckles and neck before his crimson eyes fix on you once more.

Show

Davish

Unknown

27. - Top - End - #417

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show

can't make the REF save even with a nat 20...

so, it would seem that the only thing that lasts on this quarter is unrelenting violence. so be it.

spitting out a tooth along with a healthy amount of blood, Davish regains his feet, and launches his attack.

FOR KING AND CUDGEL!
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+19)[30] for (3d6+28)[40] plus (2d6)[8] if evil, plus (1d6)[4]if undead

(1d20+14)[22] [roll] 3d6+28[/roll] (2d6)[6] (1d6)[4]

(1d20+9)[29] (3d6+28)[42] (2d6)[7] (1d6)[1]

that takes forever on mobile to type out...

Show

28. - Top - End - #418

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    third attack was a critical,

roll to confirm if it can be crit
    (1d20+11)[30]

critx3
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2020-03-31 at 01:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: Bastard hits like truck!

You have met many strong individuals in the City, but none who have hit you with their bare fists the way this man has. As he cracks his knuckles and neck, you spit a bloody tooth and watch the scraped ground- bastard caused you to skid ten feet away.

But you are not down yet. This fight is only beginning and with Nirvana held firmly with both hands, you get back on your feet and face this silent fellow, whose crimson eyes lock onto you and doesn't even move an inch as Nirvana strikes him twice.

Nirvana digs into his chest as you anchor your feet rest on the ground, and purple blood runs down his coat and the man merely looks down at his wounds before flicking your blade away, allowing you to take a better look at him.

Not a single cry of pain. You might as well not even hit him, despite the wounds clearly being there. That skin of his is incredibly tough. Nirvana has been able to strike true against beings of vile intents, but the alloy itself... it's not cutting as deep as it ought to.

The man's eyes glow crimson once more and his shadow envelops you as he takes a single heavy step forward and cracks his knuckles...

It's lightning fast as his left arm reaches out towards your neck and immediately squeezes you like a vise, crushing your bones as it lifts you clear off the ground.

Spoiler: Pummeling, Part 1
    Show
    (1d20+23)[29] if hit, Davish takes (3d6+14)[19] damage

The creature- because a man at this point he cannot be- watches you squirm in his choke hold for a few seconds before letting you go of his grip...

Only for a massive punch to connect onto your stomach, causing you to drop on one knee in front of him as his eyes maintain that glowi ng crimson hue and you spit some more blood on the creaky floorboards.

Spoiler: Pummeling, Part 2
    Show
    (1d20+23)[42] if hit, Davish takes (3d6+14)[27] damage

How much more can you... can you take? Vision's getting blurry as the growls of the undead several floors above intermingle with those of any remnant survivors as those under your care watch in horror from the second floor as the man places both hands together and lifts them above his bald head.. and brings them down with monstrous strength. Enough to kill an ordinary man and send him to Hell itself.

Spoiler: Punishment
    Show
    (1d20+18)[30] if hit, Davish takes (3d6+19)[36] damage and must make a reflex, DC = damage dealt or be sent down breaking through the floorboards.

Show

Davish (if conscious)

Unknown
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2020-03-31 at 02:25 AM.

30. - Top - End - #420

DruidGuy

it is a whirlwind of pain the likes of which he has never known as the floor rushes up to meet him, and then (probably) breaks as he plummets to the basement below.

Spoiler
    Show

ref (1d20+16)[25]

still conscious enough for a tumble check to negate falling damage

(1d20+17)[20]

of note: if you're calculating damage with DR on this bastard, my sword bypasses DR.

and finally, since 2d8 of healing won't save me at this point, time for a last stand.

with a flourish suitable enough for the royal guard, davish comes to his feet..

Spoiler
    Show

and would like to know what he sees before finishing out his turn

Show