New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 217181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: The LA Assignment Thread XII: the LA-bors of Heracles

One abusable ability isn't enough. Agree with -0
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Their liquid form allows them to take on any shape they wish. While this is labeled as "Alternate Form (Su)", it really is just the shape. You explicitly do not get any abilities or traits of your shape. It is purely aesthetic, and you retain your blood-red color. You are also limited to shapes of your size. At least you probably won't have trouble with body slots, and can maybe even get access to some extra or nonstandard ones. Don't rely on that though, it's very much an "ask your DM" situation.
    Honestly, I want more shapeshifting abilities like this in D&D. No usage limitations, no real mechanical effects, just casually change your shape for fun.

Not worth eight subpar levels, though. And the rest of the golem isn't much to write home about. At its size, its slams are basically shortswords with a fun but weak follow-up effect and no TWF penalty. Blood Drain's damage-damage bumps the total damage up to about what a large longsword would do, and the Constitution damage has a decent chance of draining another hit point per hit die, but that's not going to be that much unless you're fighting really high-level monsters.

Magic immunity is nice, especially if you have a source of cheap magical fire damage; blindsight is nice, strength is nice, natural armor is nice. And Alternate Form is fun! The blood golem probably has more than enough perks to balance out the unfortunate side effects of construct traits and magic immunity. But it doesn't balance out missing a bunch of armor/weapon proficiencies and five fighter bonus feats, let alone what you'd get from eight levels of a decent class.

"Fun" Fact: It takes about 30 gallons of blood to make a Blood Golem. The text doesn't specify, but going by real life this would take at least 20 adult Humans on average.
    Since the Imperial system doesn't think anyone would want to convert between units of volume and length, I also feel the need to point out that 30 gallons is slightly more than 4.01 cubic feet. The closest thing to a mention of other materials needed is saying that the skin forms itself, so either the blood golem is mostly skin with just a couple dozen gallons of blood in the middle, or they are kinda small.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Since the Imperial system doesn't think anyone would want to convert between units of volume and length, I also feel the need to point out that 30 gallons is slightly more than 4.01 cubic feet. The closest thing to a mention of other materials needed is saying that the skin forms itself, so either the blood golem is mostly skin with just a couple dozen gallons of blood in the middle, or they are kinda small.
    Well, despite being classified as Large creatures, they do only occupy a 5' space.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, despite being classified as Large creatures, they do only occupy a 5' space.
    It's 3.0 weirdness.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Show

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I also believe that LA -0 is in order.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

6. - Top - End - #786
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    that's approximately 125kg/275lb of blood. even assuming there's 0 hollow space inside, they'd be the size of a 112kg/250lb human. I could see a small-end Large creature if particularly it's lanky. and of course if there's any hollow space on the inside (maybe the 'skin' it's talking about is the blood acting as a sort of hollow exoskeleton situation?), it can be much bigger.

gonna go with a -0 on this one too, for the rating
    Last edited by Emberlily; 2023-11-19 at 03:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    No queue as such. People propose stuff and if something's popular and makes sense, it gets a treatment.
    Gotcha. Personally I would like to see a treatment for Faerunian monsters, or perhaps dragon magazine monsters. But, I've gathered that I play this game with a mix of sources that became less common in the later 2000s.

I don't know exactly which monsters in Monsters of Faerun didn't get reprinted in another book (I still use MoF), but I know there are also some in the FRCS and Waterdeep and other setting books. Sword Spiders, Guardgoyles, Leucrotta, Peryton, Dragonkin, Naga, Beholderkin, Tressym, Quaggoths, Wemics, Lythari, etc.

Manual of the Planes and Book of Vile Darkness also had some fun beasties, and I don't know that they all appeared in newer printings.

Even when we switched our PHBs to 3.5, we used a lot of 3.0 sources still, and while most of my 3.0 group doesn't play 3.x anymore, I've kept using the 3.0 sources I liked back in the day.

I use the two "Realms Bestiary" volumes from Candlekeep too, and sometimes the EN Creature compendium, most of which is 2e monsters converted over. Realms Bestiary is by authors who appear in published WotC books, but it's a free Candlekeep document, not an official book, so I get skipping it. I also get that a lot of people don't know it exists.
    Last edited by Darkholme; 2023-11-19 at 11:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Usually we go with a single book from A to Z until it's done, then move onto another. The current set of monsters we're reviewing is "MM6", which isn't an actual book but rather an index of 3.0/3.5e monsters from web articles. If we can keep this going I imagine we'll probably finish the Monster Manuals first?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Usually we go with a single book from A to Z until it's done, then move onto another. The current set of monsters we're reviewing is "MM6", which isn't an actual book but rather an index of 3.0/3.5e monsters from web articles. If we can keep this going I imagine we'll probably finish the Monster Manuals first?
    That makes sense. I just thought you were doing "mm6" because you were finished the proper MM entries.
    Last edited by Darkholme; 2023-11-19 at 11:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I don't really think you could guess unless you knew for sure that there were only five 3.0/.5 MMs.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ogre in the Playground

Coolish monster, crappy PC. Sad to see it's so bare-bones (he). LA -0.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

12. - Top - End - #792
    Barbarian in the Playground

If we can keep this going I imagine we'll probably finish the Monster Manuals first?
    If we ever finish the MM6, we should do a few short books for a change, imo.
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, that'd be nice I suppose.

Also LA -0 from me as well, a gimmick isn't nearly enough for some of the crappiest HD in the game.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian itP View Post
    If we ever finish the MM6, we should do a few short books for a change, imo.
    I'd vote fot Tome of Magic.
    And I'm sure, it isn't "if", it's "when".

My competition's medals.

Show

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Just noticed that the mind flayer has LA +2* for its at-will astral projection SLA, but it only had that ability in 3.0.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2023-11-24 at 09:09 AM.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This is an unanimous -0. Next is the Bone Golem Scimitar Slasher from the 3.5 Tomb of Horrors.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Size & Type: Large Construct
    Space/Reach: 10'/10'
    HD: 11
    Speed: 20'
    Ability Scores: Str +14, Dex -2, Con -, Int -, Wis +0, Cha -10 - Net +4, one penalty
    Natural Armor: 14
    Natural Weapons: Two Primary Scimitars (1d8+Str)
    Skill List: N/A
    Body Shape: Humanoid Skeleton
    Speech (Languages): No
    CR: 9
    WotC LA: -
    Our LA: -0

This golem is summoned when someone opens a trapped chest in the Tomb of Horrors. It has identical stats to the Clay Golem, but with worse natural attacks (it wields scimitars, dealing less damage than the Clay Golem's slams. It cannot make iterative attacks with them. A nice DM may allow it to put them down and choose actual weapons, but it's unclear if it's possible or if the scimitars are built stuck to its arms), worse DR by 5 points, and a worse haste ability, since the Bone Golem's requires a standard action to activate.
    A Bone Golem's Magic Immunity isn't bypassed by any spell.

If the Clay Golem didn't make the cut, then this one isn't worth positive LA either. See you tomorrow.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2023-12-21 at 11:55 AM.
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, when did you take over again?

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Just now, I assume.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wait, when did you take over again?
    About now-ish. Mainly to avoid the thread being considered as dead after one and a half month. If anyone tells me not to do it anymore, I will stop, but since it's been more than a month with no new reply on a monster with no debate going on, I felt like the thread needed a bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Just noticed that the mind flayer has LA +2* for its at-will astral projection SLA, but it only had that ability in 3.0.
    I believe this comes from Realmshelp having the 3.5 version of the statblock, but with Astral Projection. Maybe there is also a reprint of the Monster Manual with a sneak errata removing the SLA in question.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    About now-ish. Mainly to avoid the thread being considered as dead after one and a half month. If anyone tells me not to do it anymore, I will stop, but since it's been more than a month with no new reply on a monster with no debate going on, I felt like the thread needed a bump.
    I see no problem. Actually thank you for assuring this continues !

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

Oh sorry, thought I'd missed it or something.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh sorry, thought I'd missed it or something.
    It's happened before. Poor Debatra gets busy a lot, and Beni has another thread to fuel with stuff from here.

but with worse natural attacks (it wields scimitars, dealing less damage than the Clay Golem's slams. It cannot make iterative attacks with them. A nice DM may allow it to put them down and chose actual weapons, but it's unclear if it's possible or if the scimitars are built stuck to its arms),
    Technically, while the damage is off, the statblock specifies great scimitars, an exotic weapon from Sandstorm, and wielding them like that is a lot like having Superior Two-Weapon Fighting on something that should be 2d6+STR, 18–20/×2 at Large size. As weapons, they are also easier to enchant as a Golem's Immune-to-Magic slam would be, which is also a plus. So… Given the lack of iteratives, it doesn't scale very well, but I'd call it strictly superior to either normal slams or normal weapons used with its one iterative. Also, I believe they are not part of the creature. The description says scimitar-wielding, not scimitar-welded.

That doesn't make it +0 material, though, at this number of HD. I'll give you that.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, sorry about that. I'll get things back on track.

And much thanks to Beni for keeping things going when I fail to.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Technically, while the damage is off, the statblock specifies great scimitars, an exotic weapon from Sandstorm, and wielding them like that is a lot like having Superior Two-Weapon Fighting on something that should be 2d6+STR, 18–20/×2 at Large size. As weapons, they are also easier to enchant as a Golem's Immune-to-Magic slam would be, which is also a plus. So… Given the lack of iteratives, it doesn't scale very well, but I'd call it strictly superior to either normal slams or normal weapons used with its one iterative. Also, I believe they are not part of the creature. The description says scimitar-wielding, not scimitar-welded.

That doesn't make it +0 material, though, at this number of HD. I'll give you that.
    The scimitars are an exotic one-handed weapon. If they weren't counted as natural weapons, we would see a penalty for wielding a one-handed weapon in the off-hand, and/or a penalty for inappropriately-sized weapon, and/or a penalty to damage for wielding a light weapon in the off-hand, and/or a penalty for nonproficiency. There are too many things that would be wrong to consider them differently from other "artificial natural weaponry", like the nimblewright's rapier-hands, so I don't think they can be considered great scimitars in their own right when the Bone Golem does not wield them (what size category would they even be?), or enchanted like regular weapons (I mean, it's not like they are masterwork like the Blood Golem of Hextor's flails anyway). But I don't see why they couldn't be enchanted the same way a slam is enchanted : with a necklace of natural weapons. They can't benefit from Magic Fang, but saying that they can't be enchanted is weird.

Also, if it wasn't clear, I vote for LA -0.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Firbolg in the Playground

The scimitars are an exotic one-handed weapon. If they weren't counted as natural weapons, we would see a penalty for wielding a one-handed weapon in the off-hand, and/or a penalty for inappropriately-sized weapon, and/or a penalty to damage for wielding a light weapon in the off-hand, and/or a penalty for nonproficiency. There are too many things that would be wrong to consider them differently from other "artificial natural weaponry", like the nimblewright's rapier-hands, so I don't think they can be considered great scimitars in their own right when the Bone Golem does not wield them (what size category would they even be?),
    If they are great scimitars, they are Medium-sized, and as such (granted, after applying the penalty for size), would count as light for the Large skeleton, which, as a humanoid-shaped Construct, proficient with any weapon it is described as wielding, the Bone Golem would have no non-proficiency penalty for using.

That still leaves us with the TWF issue, of course.

or enchanted like regular weapons (I mean, it's not like they are masterwork like the Blood Golem of Hextor's flails anyway).

Well, if it wields them, it can always pick up the masterwork version! (But yeah, fair.)

But I don't see why they couldn't be enchanted the same way a slam is enchanted : with a necklace of natural weapons. They can't benefit from Magic Fang, but saying that they can't be enchanted is weird.
    Technically, they can't be enchanted. A magic item can impart an enchantment bonus to them, but that's totally not the same! (I.e. yeah, fair.)

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Crappy monster. And crappy illustration as well, though somewhat charming. LA -0 of course.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

-0 if you need my vote.

My competition's medals.

Show

29. - Top - End - #809
    Troll in the Playground

Size & Type: Medium Construct
    Space/Reach: 5'/5'
    HD: 6, 13 Large
    Speed: 30' (can't run)
    Ability Scores: Str +6, Dex -2, Con -, Int -, Wis +0, Cha -10 - Net -6, two penalties
    Natural Armor: 4
    Natural Weapons: Two Primary Slams (1d8 +1d4 fire)
    Skill List: N/A
    Body Shape: Humanoid
    Speech (Languages): No
    CR: 3
    WotC LA: -
    Our LA: -0* (Berserk, potential to stack NI natural armor)

Well, at least this golem's berserk rage doesn't just trigger once per minute of combat. Instead, it triggers every time it's hit by a piercing or slashing weapon. So probably far more often. On the plus side, it gets a non-scaling DC12 will save to avoid this. Still though.

Another thing that happens when damaged by such a weapon is that it Spurts out extremely hot sause from the wound, dealing a single point of fire damage to everything within 5'.

That heat extends to the outside of its body as well. Just touching it deals 1d4 fire damage.

Once every five rounds, it can exhale nauseating gas as a free action. It covers a 5' radius centered on itself in a Stinking Cloud, with a Con-based fortitude save to negate.

Finally, as with most golems, it has magic immunity aside from a few specific effects. Cold slows it for 2d6 rounds; and fire hardens it, increasing its natural armor by one for each three points of damage the effect would have dealt. That would actually be pretty neat if the rest of the monster wasn't so terrible.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2023-12-23 at 03:01 AM.

Show

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ogre in the Playground

Worth noting that the calzone golem's berserk is the kind where "no known method can reestablish control," like the clay golem. The clay golem isn't asterisked, but I think it should be, simply because DM interpretation can be the difference between an inconvenience and permanently losing control of your character with one unlucky saving throw. Looks like Debatra thinks the calzone golem should get the asterisk.

But there might be another reason for that. Since there's no type given for the magic immunity fire-based NA bonus, it should stack with itself, which means that there's probably some way to give the calzone golem arbitrarily high AC.

Ignoring those two abilities, it's a 6 HD melee fighter whose attacks are comparable to a first-level fighter with 18 Strength. (+5 attack bonus, average of 12 damage, which is kinda like 2d6+5, which is less than you'd get with a +4 Strength bonus if you used a two-handed weapon like a greatsword.) I could try to quantify how many lost fighter levels its other abilities are worth, but it's less than five, so -0*.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.