New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1509
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content XIX: Give Jeph Just A *Little* Credit, Here

Cheer up Dora, being An Old isn't that bad.

On trying to explain things to one's children however (as per the sub-comic text), it's not always like that (although I did have a nice discussion with my eldest the other day about what it was like to be an Internet user in the 90s). My kids frequently surprise me with the things they're plugged into from my generation or before. A snippet from a random conversation with my youngest (16yo) a month or two ago:

"How do you even know the Pina Colada song?"
    "It was in a meme."

OTOH the kids got me a generational trivia contest game for Christmas, wherein the old people had to answer questions about current stuff and the young people had to answer questions about old stuff. They complained - quite rightly - that the technology questions were inherently unfair, in that they never used the old tech but we do use the new tech. It was still amusing to see them struggle to come up with ideas for what the heck the telephone answering machine could be though :)

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What is „Clue“ in this context anyway?
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    What is „Clue“ in this context anyway?
    A comedy film based on the board game

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think it's a little strange that she doesn't recognize the name of the 5th most popular board game in the world. It's like not knowing monopoly or scrabble.

Let me try a rewrite:
    "I'm gonna go home and sleep with my wife"
    "Uhh...good for you?"

"It's a reference to Clue."
    "Wait, the board game?"

"No the movie, have you not seen it? Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Marten Mull? It's a classic!"
    "I don't know who any of those people are, I don't watch old movies"

*Dora takes out phone* "It's not that old the movie only came out in..."

Panel of Dora rapidly aging as she stares wide-eyed at her phone.

Then we can have a funny little arc of Dora not realizing how old she since she dyes her hair and is probably grey now instead of blond. it would be fun.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It could be a sign of Liz not having had a very well-rounded childhood.

"No, dear. Playing board games with your classmates / the neighbour's kids won't look good on your resumé."
    I've got a webcomic: Sarcantasy.

6. - Top - End - #1416

MindFlayer

Obviously, Dora isn't talking about the board game, because the only board game quotes would be things like "Major Hoople in the drawing room with a euphonium". But there was a video game version. Who knows what they added in?

And this was Ayo being Clueless, not Liz.

(I've played Monopoly and Scrabble, but never Clue.)
    Last edited by DavidSh; 2024-02-26 at 01:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelkin View Post
    It could be a sign of Liz not having had a very well-rounded childhood.

"No, dear. Playing board games with your classmates / the neighbour's kids won't look good on your resumé."
    I don't know. We haven't seen enough of Ayo's parents to know really anything about them. Not playing videogames doesn't mean there weren't family board game nights.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Obviously, Dora isn't talking about the board game, because the only board game quotes would be things like "Major Hoople in the drawing room with a euphonium". But there was a video game version. Who knows what they added in?

And this was Ayo being Clueless, not Liz.

(I've played Monopoly and Scrabble, but never Clue.)
    It's not really about playing it but seeming to have never heard of it. It just seems odd to me that her brain wouldn't at least go to the game first for confusion.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    I think it's a little strange that she doesn't recognize the name of the 5th most popular board game in the world. It's like not knowing monopoly or scrabble.
    Here (if it's the game I think it is) it's called Cluedo, we speak Englisin, what they call it in France of Germany is unknown to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluedo
    Last edited by halfeye; 2024-02-26 at 04:43 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Here (if it's the game I think it is) it's called Cluedo, we speak Englisin, what they call it in France of Germany is unknown to me.
    To be fair, we speak English in North America too, and "Clue" is an actual English noun, while "Cluedo" is some kind of pseudo-Latin pun which, IMHO, never really landed the joke.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    To be fair, we speak English in North America too, and "Clue" is an actual English noun, while "Cluedo" is some kind of pseudo-Latin pun which, IMHO, never really landed the joke.
    I always thought it was a reference to Ludo myself? The game boards have some similarities.

11. - Top - End - #1421

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I always thought it was a reference to Ludo myself? The game boards have some similarities.
    Probably, but that name for a Pachisi version is just Latin for "(I) play". Similarity to Japanese martial arts like Judo or Sensha-Do is probably purely coincidental.

In the US, we have Parcheesi instead, and abandoned Latin instruction earlier, so we wouldn't get either reference.
    Last edited by DavidSh; 2024-02-26 at 07:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    "Cluedo" is a pun? I always assumed there was some kind of "Clue is too generic to trademark here" rule that lead to the name.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    "Cluedo" is a pun? I always assumed there was some kind of "Clue is too generic to trademark here" rule that lead to the name.
    It's barely a pun, and really just a portmanteaux - "Clue" as in what you would expect to find in a murder mystery game. "Ludo" from the latin for "I play". Such is the nature of the British sense of humour; it's a British-designed game, later exported to English (Simplified)-land.

Since we have once again apparently reached that point in QC where a new character is systematically paraded around and introduced directly to every other character in crushing details, any bets on who we meet next? Is it too much to ask that Hannelore just walks home and says 'hi' to Winslow, or does *spins bottle* Veronica... and.... let's say, Lemon? Sure why not - They have to have their say about it as well before we can continue?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2024-02-27 at 09:42 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluedo
    called Cluedo in France of Germany too

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What is the France of Germany, anyway? I've heard that Bavaria is the Texas of Germany...

16. - Top - End - #1426

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    What is the France of Germany, anyway? I've heard that Bavaria is the Texas of Germany...
    To the little extent this is meaningful, I would guess the Palatinate, because of the wine industry. But I want to say Franconia because of the name, or Alsace to troll.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Colossus in the Playground

Not liking her reaction to winslow. It has a sort of "not a real person" reaction to his existence vibe. The reference to him in the third person even as you are staring him in the face.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

@Traab: I agree.

Regarding this evening's strip: Lazy stereotypes at the heart of a sitcom? Who ever would have thought of such a betrayal of the genre? Also, were we previously supposed to have understood Liz to be Dutch?

19. - Top - End - #1429

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    @Traab: I agree.

Regarding this evening's strip: Lazy stereotypes at the heart of a sitcom? Who ever would have thought of such a betrayal of the genre? Also, were we previously supposed to have understood Liz to be Dutch?
    Doing a Google search, it appears that her last name is a reference to a Dutch penmaking company.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    To the little extent this is meaningful, I would guess the Palatinate, because of the wine industry. But I want to say Franconia because of the name, or Alsace to troll.
    Could say Saarland, they had the choice between France and Germany.
    Or you can go with the spirit, and then it's either Köln or Hamburg that are less strict and feel more "latin" than the other parts.
    Or you can go with History and say it's every part of town where it's dirty and full of whores, because German used "little France" as nickname for lower places bordering rivers where there actually were tanners - hence stank and a neighborhood nobody wanted, hence the prostitutes. French do the same calling it "little Italy/Venice". I guess that in northern Italy they call it Napoli...

21. - Top - End - #1431

Liz, whose name is an Anglicized form of a Dutch word, and phones her father in English.

Also, she's called LIZ. Not even Lies.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Liz, whose name is an Anglicized form of a Dutch word, and phones her father in English.

Also, she's called LIZ. Not even Lies.
    That was probably before he decided she should be actually from Holland rather than having Dutch ancestry. Jeph figures out who his characters as he goes instead of having a plan and backstory ahead of time and avoiding inconsistencies like that.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2024-02-29 at 06:43 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1433

Griffon

Liz is probably Dutch in the same way that ~31% of Americans are Irish - which is to say, they aren't and their family hasn't been for 4 or 5 generations despite what they say.

Still, she has a Dutch name, is vaguely Asian-coded (I think?) and has an American passport to work in Canada so to be fair, that is realistically convoluted... But why does it need to be convoluted at all? What does any of this add to the story, or why does it make Liz any more interesting to pile random facts onto her that don't have an impact?

Also, why does Liz use Hanz Van Klompen-Klacke as an example of sitcom storytelling even though the one thing she is using as an example doesn't happen to the character that she uses as the example? No wonder she sucks as a researcher, if she has no concept of correlation.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2024-02-29 at 05:12 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Liz is probably Dutch in the same way that ~31% of Americans are Irish - which is to say, they aren't and their family hasn't been for 4 or 5 generations despite what they say.
    That was my initial thought but her apparantly growing up only having watched dutch television (produced by the french?) is a monkey wrench in that theory. Which calls back to my "Jeph is making up backstory for Liz as he goes and didn't think about any of this before introducing Liz"

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    That was my initial thought but her apparantly growing up only having watched dutch television (produced by the french?) is a monkey wrench in that theory. Which calls back to my "Jeph is making up backstory for Liz as he goes and didn't think about any of this before introducing Liz"
    I expect at least 3 follow up comics dedicated to explaining this one joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I expect at least 3 follow up comics dedicated to explaining this one joke.
    1 down, 2 or more potentially to go...

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

We've currently established that she is, in fact, Dutch.

Now we need to establish why she has an American passport and why she spoke to her dad in English.

Google says there's no dual citizenship between US and Netherlands, so her dad is probably American and her mom is Dutch, she was born in the US but they moved to the Netherlands for a while, then she moved back to the states for college.

By my count, we should be back to Jokes on Thursday or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    By my count, we should be back to Jokes on Thursday or so.
    I say Tuseday. It think he's got one more soapbox about social stuff in him before we move on.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When I think of the term "pigeon fancier," I generally think of someone who raises and breeds pigeons, not merely a pigeon-specific birdwatcher, and such individuals pick up and (gently) squeeze their charges as a matter of course, rather than secretly pining for such an opportunity.

30. - Top - End - #1440

RedKnightGirl

Credit where it's due, I liked that joke.