d6 Death saves

Why for PC when the NPC/Monsters don't?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Death saves

Quote Originally Posted by DMSenko View Post
    Technically they can we just tend to skip over it for convenience
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The PHB even has a section on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p. 198 Monsters and Death
    Most DMs have a monster die the instant it drops to 0 hit points, rather than have it fall unconscious and make death saving throws.
    Mighty villains and special nonplayer characters are common exceptions; the DM might have them fall unconscious and follow the same rules as player characters.
    My take on it is that the reason death saves get skipped is to streamline combat. once a monster is reduced to 0, the players will move to finish it off, wasting time that could have been spent on the scene, or instead the DM will have to keep dealing with the repercussions of the players not finishing their enemies off, which increases the DM's workload massively for often minimal payoff.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

For the same reason that a high level human can get tagged with a greatsword from a giant and be perfectly functional; D&D is a storytelling game, so the characters that are more important get more plot armor. And inversely, those that don't matter that much don't get as much, or get killed of quicker to move on.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dualight View Post
    My take on it is that the reason death saves get skipped is to streamline combat. once a monster is reduced to 0, the players will move to finish it off, wasting time that could have been spent on the scene, or instead the DM will have to keep dealing with the repercussions of the players not finishing their enemies off, which increases the DM's workload massively for often minimal payoff.
    Yeah that's why I skip it. It's to keep things moving. Death saves for enemy NPCs only crops up for me when the enemy is particularly important, or the enemy force has healing capabilities - they can Healing Word a downed person just as much as the players can.

Strictly, the streamlining does make it easier on players than giving death saves to everyone all the time. The chance of a nat 20, and having to spend attacks/actions to finish them would give those still standing more turns to live.

But if I want things to be more dangerous it's probably easier to just toss another dice of damage on every creature than do death saves.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

In short, because PCs are special and nothing else is. Functionally, it's so players have a safety net when things don't go their way.

Personally, I think it's the worst thing about the game pre-Tasha's. [GROGNARD ACTIVATED] Adventuring is supposed to be dangerous. Characters should die and die often. It shouldn't be celebrated but it darn sure should be expected. Back in my day, if your character dropped to 0 hp, they died. Too bad, so sad, move on.
    I really need a new avatar. Nah, I'm good.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JonBeowulf View Post
    In short, because PCs are special and nothing else is. Functionally, it's so players have a safety net when things don't go their way.

Personally, I think it's the worst thing about the game pre-Tasha's. [GROGNARD ACTIVATED] Adventuring is supposed to be dangerous. Characters should die and die often. It shouldn't be celebrated but it darn sure should be expected. Back in my day, if your character dropped to 0 hp, they died. Too bad, so sad, move on.
    As long as you're open and up front about it with your players during session zero and they all consent, having a "0HP = Death, no saves" houserule is a fine way to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    As long as you're open and up front about it with your players during session zero and they all consent, having a "0HP = Death, no saves" houserule is a fine way to play.
    I've never done it with 5e games because most of my players were new to the hobby and it was part of how they learned to play... I mean, it's right there on the character sheet. I'm not going to take something away from them just because I'm old and grumpy. I save my house rules for limiting pop-up healing, recovering from exhaustion, awesome criticals, and such.

Some of them are in a BECMI game I'm running and it took 4 character deaths for them to change their style. They now have the appropriate level of respect for the unknown.
    I really need a new avatar. Nah, I'm good.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JonBeowulf View Post
    I've never done it with 5e games because most of my players were new to the hobby and it was part of how they learned to play... I mean, it's right there on the character sheet. I'm not going to take something away from them just because I'm old and grumpy. I save my house rules for limiting pop-up healing, recovering from exhaustion, awesome criticals, and such.

Some of them are in a BECMI game I'm running and it took 4 character deaths for them to change their style. They now have the appropriate level of respect for the unknown.
    I'm glad you acknowledge that it's a preference thing and not some kind of universal better option.
    I'm also glad that you're getting in a BECMI game that's as lethal as you like!

Hope you and the players are having an awesome time. :)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Because PCs dying sucks and is not fun. Monsters croaking is fun. Never let not-fun get in the way of fun.

Occasionally, an NPC with pertinent information winds up getting perished (often by the PCs). So death saves can be used a safeguard to preserve the plot. Otherwise, let it all burn.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

I do like that they are saves, and thus it's possible to, for example, get proficiency in them (see: Monk) or add the Paladin's Charisma to them.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I do like that they are saves, and thus it's possible to, for example, get proficiency in them (see: Monk) or add the Paladin's Charisma to them.
    What brings up the oddity that it's a saving throw that isn't tied to an ability score.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Same reason Batman is invincible, the hero gets a level of plot armor.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Generally because dying sucks, and the process for creating a new character is a pain in the ****, and the pain is more the higher level you are. The PCs are given multiple chances to not die, as well as providing multiple opportunities for party members to save them. D&D doesn't want PCs to die, but you will if you are incredibly unlucky and/or have poor group dynamics. Now, alternatively you could say that players don't get Death Saves...But I wouldn't go down that route unless it's common for your table to have multiple backup characters - not just in mind, but ready to go.

But also I don't like ultra lethal games anyway. It just trains players to not be invested in their own characters (i.e; Leads to bad roleplaying) and ultimately leads to an arms race.

NPCs "just die" because no-one cares. If the DM really cares about it, they have the option for a creature to go to Death Saves as per the PHB. Very, very, very rarely are players going to declare for non-lethal damage, because keeping hostile creatures alive is almost always more trouble than its worth - especially if the creature is non-Humanoid and/or can Misty Step. If you don't want the creature alive, just fast forward to dead. The game is easier that way.

TL;DR. Because D&D isn't supposed to be hard. The game is rigged in the players' favour - including Death Saves being 10+, not 11+.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome