New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Codename: Swampgas, Like Frostburn, but with Swamps

@Szilard
    Fax Celes or Vorpal Tribble's Homebrew guides would probably help. I believe Fax's is stickied in the homebrew thread with a link to Vorpal's.

@Caracol
    looks good so far. Maybe give it higher Con, I mean they live in a swamp... Can't wait to see the abilities and spells.
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Needs varied swamp extremes/weathers like in Frostburn.

Acrid Bog - The swamp water glows faintly. Anything touching the water takes 1d4 acid damage. Anything totally or mostly submerged in the water takes 10d4 acid damage per round. There is a 5% chance for each move action taken in the boggy earth around the swamp that you will push out enough water to take 1 acid damage.

Haunted Wetlands - The foliage surrounding the swamp looks strangely hostile. Haunted wetlands feed on the fear of trespassers. Non-native creatures must make a Will save each round they are in the swamp (DC 5 + 1 per previous save). A failed save causes the entire swamp to be affected by an entangle spell, but only against that creature. All fey native to the swamp become aware when a creature fails its save, and they generally take the opportunity to attack.

The caster level of the spell is equal to 20 - the number of additional saves it took to fail. If the creature makes 21 saves in a row or fails a save, he can not be affected again for 24 hours. These are all fear effects.

Black Lagoon - The air is thick with fog and fumes, draining physical strength, making it hard to think straight, and causing breathing to be strained. Creatures in a black lagoon must make a Fortitude save every minute (DC 10 + 1 per previous save) or suffer 1 point of damage to all ability scores. In addition, save DCs made to avoid suffocation increase by +2 per previous save instead of +1. Most swamp creatures are immune to the effects of a black lagoon.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

My PRc def needs some tweaking, so Im holding off, but heres an item I hope you guys can help me out with

Hive Bracers

These bracers are a muddy green color and appear to be made of Chiton, specked on the bracers are numerous black beads that seem to sparkle in the right light. With the correct command words, the bracers can produce three effects.

Summon Swarm-Summon a swarm of locusts that obey simple mental commands.

Lightning Bug Light-summons a mass of lightning bugs that give illumination just like a lantern.

Deafening Chirp-your bracers emit a sonic scream that nauseates all in a 15 foot radius

Im not very good at item creation, but I thought this was too good to pass up, any thoughts on price?
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64

@ GoM
    How many times per day can the effects be cast?
    and I'm trying to think of what would be needed in the creation and the price...

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was thinking it as a mid-high level item, each can be cast twice per day, in terms of creation, I was thinking it would be craft wonderous item, plus a summon swarm spell(but summon swarm doesnt cover locust swarms so idk) and an XP investment, like I said Im not great with homebrewing items
    Last edited by Goats_o_Mjolnir; 2008-02-20 at 01:35 PM.
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goats_o_Mjolnir View Post
    I was thinking it as a mid-high level item, each can be cast twice per day, in terms of creation, I was thinking it would be craft wonderous item, plus a summon swarm spell(but summon swarm doesnt cover locust swarms so idk) and an XP investment, like I said Im not great with homebrewing items
    I think summon swarm is probably good enough to use a prerequisite for crafting, since sometimes wondrous items creation results in an effect that doesn't exactly mimic the original spell (I think, anyway). Of course, you could just use the spell insect plague, which does summon a locust swarm. Maybe also add in light (for the lightening bug light) and ghost sound or poison for the nauseating part.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

7. - Top - End - #67

Swamp Nymph edited, now for something new and more hazardous!!

Crawling Disease (Template)
    Spoiler
    Show

The swamp enviroment is one of the most infected and rotten places. These filth lands are so full or disease-carrying beasts that is easy to think that the diseases themselves would eventually become stronger, growing and pulsating, until they finally take conscience of themselves and become an aware menace. And that's what, unluckly, happened.
    Crawling disease are wandering, bigger version of the common and swamp diseases. They move towards the bog lands and infect everything that found on their path: entire villages and forests have been destroyed by a single one of them. Their infectivity is so high that their disease's effects develop almost istantly.

CREATING A CRAWLING DISEASE:
    The base for creating a Crawling Disease is to determine his disease level. Its base disease level is equal to its DC to avoid its infection -10. Example: the disease level of the Filth Fever is 2, since its DC to be avoided is 12.
    This template can be applied to every disease.
    Size and Type: A Crawling Disease Size depends on its disease level: 1-2 Small, 3-5 Medium, 5-8 Large, 9+ Huge. Its type is Ooze.
    Hit Dice: Equal to its disease level. Its HD are d10s.
    Speed: Depends on the Size: Small 20 ft, Medium 30 ft, Large 40 ft, Huge 60 ft. Crawling Diseases gain a fly speed (perfect) equal to their base speed if the original disease had the Inhaled factor to be infected with.
    Armor Class: A Crawling Disease gains a natural armor bonus to their AC equal to their disease level.
    Attack: A Crawling Disease gains a slam attack that can be used once per round. The slam attacks deals the damage based on the Crawling Disease Size: Small 1d4, Medium 1d6, Large 2d4, Huge 2d6, Gargantuan 2d8, Colossal 2d10. They add half of their Str bonus and their disease level to the attack and to the damage rolls. Also, every successfull attack infects the target (see Special Attacks).
    Special Attacks: A Crawling Disease gains two special attacks.
    Rapid Infection: A creature hitten by a Crawling Disease's slam attack needs to perform a Fortitude saving throw to avoid being infected by the base disease effect, regardless the normal method of infection. The effects of the disease have a smaller time to manifest: the incubation times is equal, in turns, to the normal incubation time in days or hours. Example: a Crawling Devil Chills effects manifest in 1d4 turns istead than in 1d4 days. Diseases with one day of incubations manifest their effect after one turn.
    A character hitten multiple times that doesn't passes the saving throws gains the cumulative ability damage as if he's infected more times. These additional ability damages can be restored with a Heal check of 15+ the disease level.
    A character hitten that passes the saving throw against a Rapid Infection needs to perform the saving throws after the normal time of incubation anyway, as if it was exposed to the normal disease.
    Suffucate: After a successfull grapple check, a Crawling Disease can make a Trip attempt and start to wrap around its opponent. After 1d6 turns, a wrapped opponent must start to perform a Fortitude Check with a CD equal to 10+ the disease level to avoid to start suffucating. A successfull grapple check agaist the Crawling Disease let the creature to release himself from the hold and start to breath again. This special attack causes attacks of opportunity from the wrapped opponent for all the duration of the grapple with a -4 to the check, and can be performed only against opponents at least a Size category smaller than the Crawling Disease Size.
    Special Qualities: All Crawling disease have the ooze type and the immunity from ability damage or drain. They also have a damage reduction of their disease level/magic.
    Saves: The Crawling Diseases have the base saves of an ooze (no good saves), and they gain a bonus to all saves equal to their disease level.
    Abilities: Crawling disease have Str and Con scores equal to 10 + their disease level. They have a Dex and Wis score equal to 7 + their disease level. They have a Cha score equal to their disease level. They don't have a Int score.
    Skills and Feats: None.
    Enviroment: Any Swamp. Usually they dwell the most remote and hazardous one.
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: Equal to 1,5 x their disease level.
    Treasure: None.
    Allignment: Always Neutral.
    Advancement: -
    Level Adjustment: -

Crawling Diseases Examples
    Spoiler
    Show

Witch's Fumes

Large Ooze
    Hit Dice: 5d10 +10 (37 hp)
    Speed: 40 ft, fly (perfect) 40 ft.
    Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, -1 size, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
    BaB/Grapple: +3/+8
    Attack: Slam + 9 melee (2d4 + 6/x2)
    Full Attack: Slam + 9 melee (2d4 + 6/x2)
    Space/ Reach: 10ft./10ft.
    Special Attacks: Rapid Infection, Suffucate
    Special Qualities: Ooze traits, Immunity to ability drain and damage, Damage reduction 5/magic.
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 15, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 5
    Skills: -
    Feats: -
    Enviroment: Any Swamp.
    Challenge Rating: 7

A moving fog bank approaches you. Its grey with yellow fumes, and they air around you starts to be unbreathable.

Witch's Fumes are the crawling and moving version of the Lung Spore disease, also knew as Witch's Breath. The small fungal spores developed the ability to pass through the skin and to travel to the lungs of helpless adventurers.
    COMBAT
    Witch's Fumes travel unnoticed as a fog, only to approach every living being that can carry the Lung Spore disease.
    Rapid Infection (Ex): A creature hitten by a Witch's Fumes is exposed to the Lung Spore disease (Fortitude save DC 15, incubation 3d6 turns.) The effects of the lung spore are described in TheLogman's opening thread.
    A character hitten multiple times that doesn't passes the saving throws gains the cumulative ability damage as if he's infected more times. These additional ability damages can be restored with a Heal check of 20.
    A character hitten that passes the saving throw against a Rapid Infection needs to perform the saving throws after the normal time of incubation anyway, as if it was exposed to the normal disease.
    Suffucate (Ex): With a successful grapple check, a Witch's Fumes gains a Trip attempt and can start to wrap around an opponent. After 1d6 turns, a wrapped opponent must start to perform a Fortitude Check with a CD 15 to avoid to start suffucating. A successfull grapple check agaist the Witch's Fumes let the creature to release himself from the hold and start to breath again. This special attack causes attacks of opportunity from the wrapped opponent for all the duration of the grapple with a -4 to the check, and can be performed only against opponents at least a Size category smaller than the Witch's Fumes.

Eastern Plague

Huge Ooze
    Hit Dice: 10d10 +50 (105 hp)
    Speed: 60 ft.
    Armor Class: 21 (+3 Dex, -2 size, +10 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 18
    BaB/Grapple: +5/+18
    Attack: Slam + 17 melee (2d6 + 12/x2)
    Full Attack: Slam + 17 melee (2d6 + 12/x2)
    Space/ Reach: 15ft./15ft.
    Special Attacks: Rapid Infection, Suffucate
    Special Qualities: Ooze traits, Immunity to ability drain and damage, Damage reduction 10/magic.
    Saves: Fort +18, Ref +16, Will +16
    Abilities: Str 20, Dex 17, Con 20, Int -, Wis 17, Cha 10
    Skills: -
    Feats: -
    Enviroment: Any Swamp.
    Challenge Rating: 15

A strange and huge mass moves towards the land. It seems to be made by white sand, and it swhirls changes as it approaches. Wherever it passes, every small plant seems to instantly parch and die.

Eastern Plague is the crawling and moving version of the Mummy Rot disease. Carried from far countries, the disease seems to have gained strength in the unhealty enviroment of the swamp.
    COMBAT
    Eastern Plague moves as a bank of sand, covering and hitting everything that can infect.
    Rapid Infection (Ex): A creature hitten by a Eastern Plague is exposed to the Mummy Rot disease (Fortitude save DC 20, incubation 1 turn.) The effects of the Mummy Rot are described in the Dungeon Master's Guide.
    A character hitten multiple times that doesn't passes the saving throws gains the cumulative ability damage as if he's infected more times. These additional ability damages can be restored with a Heal check of 25.
    Suffucate (Ex): With a successful grapple check, a Mummy Rot gains a Trip attempt and can start to wrap around an opponent. After 1d6 turns, a wrapped opponent must start to perform a Fortitude Check with a CD 20 to avoid to start suffucating. A successfull grapple check agaist the Eastern Plague let the creature to release himself from the hold and start to breath again. This special attack causes attacks of opportunity from the wrapped opponent for all the duration of the grapple with a -4 to the check, and can be performed only against opponents at least a Size category smaller than the Eastern Plague.
    Last edited by Caracol; 2008-02-21 at 03:47 AM.

Characters played:
    Koros (Nation of the Dead) < - adopt this psicopatic as your avatar!!!
    Bones (Beginner's Dungeon Crawl)

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

I warned you. Now you have to go read it.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hmm, got an inspiration for a pretty high CR psionic creature. It pretends to be a small swamp itself. Marshmind.

Well, psi-like abilities.

Marshmind
    Gargantuan Elemental (Aquatic, Earth, Extraplanar, Psionic)
    HD 12d8+60 (114)
    Speed 10 ft. (2 squares); Burrow 10 ft.
    Init: +0
    AC 6; touch 6; flat-footed 6
    (Size -4)
    BAB +9; Grp +25
    Attack: Vine +13 (1d4-1)
    Full Attack: 6 Vines +13/+13/+13/+13/+13/+8 (1d4-1)
    Space 30 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Special Attacks Psi-Like Abilities, Elemental Traits
    Special Qualities DR 15/-, SR 21, Immunity to sonic, Immunity to acid
    Saves Fort +13 Ref +4 Will +13
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 18
    Skills
    Feats Multi-Attack, Improved Multi-Attack
    Environment Swamps
    Organization Only single
    Challenge Rating X
    Treasure X gold; X gems; X art; X magical items
    Alignment Always Chaotic Evil.
    Advancement by TYPE;

Hrm...I don't know much (read: anything) about psionics. Or how constrict usually works, although that I can probably figure out. Can anyone help me out picking and writing out psionic spell-like abilities for this? I want to aim for neutralizing enemies so it can consume them with crazy constrict grappling.

I'm also going to add a disease, Brain Blight, which Marshminds infect people with through injury after slashing little cuts in them with its vines.

Hmm...I'm not sure if I'm using Multi-Attack/Improved right.

[hr]
    Got another addition. They've got something like this in all of the books, so I thought I'd give my own.

Disinfectant Cream: This bottle of thick, odorous cream can be smeared in a light layer over a single medium creature's body. This process takes 3 minutes, and the disinfectant lasts for one hour. If submerged in water, the remaining time is cut in half. While smeared with Disinfectant Cream, the creature gains +3 on Fortitude saves vs. diseases contracted through injury, contact, or exposure.

Stamina Powder: This small capsule of powder can be ingested to affect one medium size creature. For one hour afterwards, the consumer of the powder gains a +3 bonus on Fortitude saves vs. diseases contracted through ingesting and inhaling.

For both Disinfectant Cream and Stamina Powder, it takes a 3x normal dose to cover a large creature. Not positive about other sizes, actually.

Disease Kit: This first aid box contains all that is needed to treat diseases. It has 3 bottles of Disinfectant Cream, 3 Stamina Powder capsules, and various herbal remedies, pure water, and bandages. Use of this kit allows a +2 circumstance bonus on Heal checks made to combat disease.

I have no idea what prices should be for these.

[hr]
    Lastly, I have an idea for a PrC. The Concocter. Probably a 5 level PrC that crafts it's own diseases with alchemy.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2008-02-20 at 09:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Swamp Mosquito Swarm

Fine Vermin (Swarm)
    Hit Dice: 6d8-6 (21 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 10 feet (2 squares); fly 40 ft. (perfect)
    Armor Class: 21 (+3 Dex, +8 size), touch 21, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/—
    Attack: Swarm (1d6 plus disease)
    Full Attack: Swarm (1d6 plus disease)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Disease, distraction
    Special Qualities: Blood drain, darkvision 60 ft., immune to weapon damage, swarm traits, vermin traits, weak
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 1, Dex 17, Con 9, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
    Skills:
    Feats:
    Environment: Temperate swamps and marshes
    Organization: Solitary, cloud (2-7 swarms), or plague (11-20 swarms)
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 7-12 HD (Fine)
    Level Adjustment:

The loud buzzing sound you’ve heard for the past hours seems to get loud directly ahead. As you stare into the misty, swampy air, you see a swarm of tiny insects coalesce into a nearly solid mass and fly in your direction. As the outer insects land on your skin, you notice their long mouthparts gouging into your skin.

Combat
    A swamp mosquito swarm seeks to surround one or more living (and preferably stationary or sleeping) victims in order to drain their blood. A swarm disperses once it has dealt Constitution damage equal to two times its HD.

Blood Drain (Ex): Like other mosquitoes, the swamp mosquito lives off the blood of living creatures. Any creature that takes damage from a single swamp mosquito swarm’s swarm attack in two or more consecutive rounds also takes one point of Constitution damage per round after the first. The swarm gains no mechanical benefit from dealing this damage.

Disease (Ex): Creatures assaulted by a swamp mosquito swarm risk exposure to diseases for which the swarm’s component mosquitoes are carriers. Any creature damaged by a swamp mosquito swarm’s swarm attack or risk exposure to the Shakes (DC 13; incubation 1 day; 1d8 Dex). Other swarms may also carry Filth Fever or the Flux, though these are less common; on rare occasions, a swarm may carry a more deadly disease.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature that begins its turn with a swamp mosquito swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Weak (Ex): Due to the brittle and weak nature of its constituent insects, a swamp mosquito swarm does less damage than a normal swarm of its HD. A swamp mosquito swarm is treated as a swarm of one-half its HD for the purpose of determining the damage from its swarm special attack.

Swarm Traits: A swarm is not subject to critical hits, flanking, tripping, grappling, and bull rushing, and cannot initiate grapples. Swarms of Fine creatures are immune to weapon damage and any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures (including single-target spells such as disintegrate); however, it takes half again as much damage (+50%) from spells or effects that affect an area, such as splash weapons and many evocation spells. A swarm is never staggered or dying, but it disperses if dropped to 0 hit points. A swarm of Fine creatures is affected by high winds (such as by a gust of wind spell) as if it were a creature of the size of its constituent creatures.

Vermin Traits: A swamp mosquito swarm is immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). It also has darkvision (60-foot range).

For anyone: I don't really have a group or time to playtest a lot of these creatures, so I'm sort of eyeballing the CR for this. For the swarm here, CR 5 seems good (a single fireball probably won't take it out, the diseases and blood drain aren't completely deadly, but it's still challenging), but if anyone thinks it should be higher or lower I can change it.

@Caracol: You're now my hero, if only because of this: "Eastern Plague is the crawling and moving version of the Mummy Rot disease." I don't know why no one has done a living disease yet, but it's awesome and living mummy rot is even more so. Also, that swamp nymph = hot.

@Icewalker: I don't know much about psionics, and I know your creature isn't done, but I think it needs the psionic subtype. I can't remember for sure, but I think the Psionic subtype applies to anything with power points or psi-like abilities. (If I recall correctly, I don't think the subtype actually changes anything, but instead just signals what creatures are specifically psionic for the purposes of things that go after or hurt psionic creatures.)
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-02-20 at 08:50 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #70

Caracol, your moving disease things have an attack bonus way too low for their CR. They're not going to hit. And what's a disease level?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

@rtg: ah, thanks. Should've seen that.

@^: erm...did you read the whole thing? It describes setting and using disease levels. It's just a method of determining things like size and HD.

12. - Top - End - #72

OK, finally got some stuff...

Swamp Dryad
    Spoiler
    Show

Swamp Dryad

Size/Type: Medium Fey
    Hit Dice: 4d6 (14 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), 10 ft. fly (perfect)
    Armor Class: 17 (+4 Dex, +3 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2
    Attack: Vine (Tentacle) +6 melee (1d4, +3 Acid)
    Full Attack: 6 Vines (Tentacles) +6 melee (1d4, +3 Acid)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, Nauseating Touch
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron, Acid Resistance 10, tree dependent, wild empathy
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref 10, Will +6
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 18
    Skills: Escape Artist +11, Handle Animal +11, Hide +11, Knowledge (nature) +11, Listen +9, Move Silently +11, Ride +7, Spot +9, Survival +11,
    Feats: Great Fortitude, Weapon Finesse,
    Environment: Any Swamp
    Organization: Rarely solitary, usually in groves (4-9)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually chaotic nuetral
    Advancement: By character class

The past few days in these swamps have made you wary, so you round the tree, sword drawn. However, instead of attacking you, the four creatures you see sit in mid air staring. A few awkward moments pass before you realize these aren’t another group of nasty swamp creatures ready to strangle the life out of you. Finally tiring of your presence, the four swamp dryads slowly float down into the roots of several large trees and disappear. You don’t argue with their rude behavior; you’re just happy they’re not hostile!

Swamp Dryads have soft green skin very much like that of vines. Their hair is thin and full of leaves, usually long. Often, they are mistaken for nymphs. But one major thing distinct them from their water sisters, flight. Although they lack any appendages used for flight, Swamp Dryads are capable of gently floating through the air by will alone, wafting like leaves caught in a breeze. Leafy vines wrap around them, giving them a hint of modesty as well as potent natural weapons.

Swamp Dryads speak Common, Orcish, and Sylvan.

Combat
    Unlike their forest dwelling sisters, Swamp Dryads are very often found in the high boughs of Cyprus trees giggling and having a good time. Living in the swamps away from outside influence has caused them to drop their guard, and outsiders are rarely seen. But this should not lead you to think they are to be taken lightly. Where there is one, there are often many, and what they lack in pure power, they easily make up for in numbers. If threatened, or in need of an ally, a dryad uses charm person or suggestion, attempting to gain control of the attacker(s) who could help the most against the rest. Any attack on her tree, however, provokes the dryad into a frenzied defense using the vines around them as flailing weapons.

Nauseating Touch
    As a standard action, a Swamp Dryad may make a touch attack to nauseate a creature within 30 feet with a look. If the touch attack hits, the target creature must succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 2d4 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based. A character that succesfully saves against this effect is immune from that Swamp Dryad's Nauseating Touch for the rest of the day.

Spell-Like Abilities
    At will—entangle (DC 13), speak with plants, tree shape; 3/day— charm person (DC 13), deep slumber (DC 15), swamp stride (tree stride); 1/day—suggestion (DC 15). Caster level 6th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.

Tree Dependent (Su)
    Each dryad is mystically bound to a single, enormous Cyprus tree and must never stray more than 300 yards from it. Any who do become ill and die within 4d6 hours. A dryad’s cyprus does not radiate magic.

Wild Empathy (Ex)
    This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that the dryad has a +6 racial bonus on the check.

Fey Traits:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Low-light vision.
    • Proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
    • Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Fey not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Fey are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
    • Fey eat, sleep, and breathe.

Weeping Treant
    Spoiler
    Show

Weeping Treant

Size/Type: Huge Plant
    Hit Dice: 7d8+35 (66 hp)
    Initiative: -1
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 20 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +13 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 20
    Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+22
    Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d6+10)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +13 melee (2d6+10)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Animate trees, control ooze, double damage against objects, trample 2d6+13
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/slashing, weeping wound, low-light vision, plant traits, acid resistance 20
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +1, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 30, Dex 8, Con 21, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 16
    Skills: Diplomacy +5, Hide -9*, Intimidate +8, Knowledge (nature) +4, Listen +8, Sense Motive +8, Spot +8, Survival +8 (+10 aboveground)
    Feats: Improved Sunder, Iron Will, Power Attack
    Environment: Swamps and Marshes
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually Nuetral Evil
    Advancement: 8-16 HD (Huge); 17-21 HD (Gargantuan)
    Level Adjustment: +8

A Weeping Treant is a sad representation of its species. To all appearances it is the burnt husk of a willow tree. Deep veins of yellow or brown run across its trunk.

A Weeping Treant is about 30 feet tall, with a "trunk" about 2 feet in diameter. It weighs about 4,500 pounds.

Weeping Treants speak their own language, plus Common, Undercommon, and Sylvan.

Combat
    Weeping Treants prefer to watch potential foes carefully before attacking. They often summon nearby oozes to attack potential meals before charging suddenly from cover to trample their prey. If sorely pressed, they animate trees as reinforcements.

Animate Trees (Sp)
    A Weeping Treant can animate trees within 180 feet at will, controlling up to two trees at a time. It takes 1 full round for a normal tree to uproot itself. Thereafter it moves at a speed of 10 feet and fights as a Weeping Treant in all respects. Animated trees lose their ability to move if the Weeping Treant that animated them is incapacitated or moves out of range. The ability is otherwise similar to liveoak (caster level 12th). Animated trees have the same resistance to acid as the Weeping Treant.

Control Ooze (Sp)
    A Weeping Treant can control all creatures with the ooze type or subtype within 100 ft. at will. An ooze must have an intelligence score less than 3 for the Weeping Treant to control them.

Double Damage against Objects (Ex)
    A Weeping Treant or animated tree that makes a full attack against an object or structure deals double damage.

Trample (Ex)
    Reflex DC 22 half. The save DC is Strength-based.

Weeping Wound (Ex)
    Each time a Weeping Treant is damaged by a slashing weapon, one Treant Tear seeps from the wound. The ooze has 2-4 HD (randomly rolled) and begins with only 1/3 of its full hit points. A Weeping Treant with 10 hp or lower cannot spawn more oozes until it returns to half its full hit points.

Skills: *Weeping Treants have a +16 racial bonus on Hide checks made in forested areas.

Plant Traits
    Spoiler
    Show

• Low-light vision.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
    • Not subject to critical hits.
    • Proficient with its natural weapons only.
    • Proficient with no armor.
    • Plants breathe and eat, but do not sleep.

Treant Tears
    Spoiler
    Show

Treant Tear

Size/Type: Medium Ooze
    Hit Dice: 3d10+15 (31 hp)
    Initiative: -5
    Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares) 20 ft. swim (2 squares)
    Armor Class: 5 (-5 Dex), touch 5, flat-footed 5
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+3
    Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d6+1 plus 1d6 acid)
    Full Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d6+1 plus 1d6 acid)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Acid, constrict 1d6+1 plus 1d6 acid, improved grab
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., immunity to cold and fire, split, ooze traits, transparent
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref -4, Will -4
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 1, Con 21, Int Ø, Wis 1, Cha 1
    Skills: +9 Climb, +7 Swim
    Feats:
    Environment: Swamps and marshes (wherever a Weeping Treant would inhabit)
    Organization: Small Groups (3-5)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Always neutral
    Advancement: 4-6 HD (Medium); 7-10 HD (Large); 11-15 HD (Huge)

A Treant Tear can grow to a diameter of up to 10 feet and a thickness of about 6 inches, although there have been occassions of ones seen twice that size.. A typical specimen weighs about 700 pounds. They are often found in groups around the tree that spawned them.

Combat

A Treant Tear strikes like a snake, slamming opponents with its body. Treant tears usually stay around the tree that spawned them. They will usually lie in wait in the boughs of their tree until prey approaches, then they will drop down on their unsuspecting targets.

Acid (Ex)
    A Treant Tear secretes a digestive acid that quickly dissolves organic material and metal, but not stone. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage. Armor or clothing dissolves and becomes useless immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 16 Reflex save. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a Treant Tear also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 16 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

The ooze’s acidic touch deals 16 points of damage per round to wooden or metal objects, but the ooze must remain in contact with the object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

Constrict (Ex)
    A Treant Tear deals automatic slam and acid damage with a successful grapple check. The opponent’s clothing and armor take a -4 penalty on Reflex saves against the acid.

Improved Grab (Ex)
    To use this ability, a Treant Tear must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Split (Ex)
    Slashing and piercing weapons deal no damage to a Treat Tear. Instead the creature splits into two identical oozes, each with half of the original’s current hit points (round down). An ooze with 10 hit points or less cannot be further split and dies if reduced to 0 hit points.

Transparent (Ex)
    Due to its coloration, a Treant Tear is hard to identify, even under ideal conditions, and it takes a DC 15 Spot check to notice one. Creatures who fail to notice a Treant Tear and walk into it are automatically hit with a melee attack for slam and acid damage.

Skills
    A Treant Tear has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. A Treant Tear has a +6 racial bonus on Swimb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if threatened.

Ooze Traits
    Spoiler
    Show

• Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Blind (but have the blindsight special quality), with immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
    • Some oozes have the ability to deal acid damage to objects. In such a case, the amount of damage is equal to 10 + ½ ooze’s HD + ooze’s Con modifier per full round of contact.
    • Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
    • Proficient with its natural weapons only.
    • Proficient with no armor.
    • Oozes eat and breathe, but do not sleep.

Last edited by Sir Shadow; 2008-02-21 at 11:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'm not sure that the Weeping Treant (which, by the way, is awesome) warrants a CR 10. Seems like a 10th level party could probably shred it with no trouble. If you combine it with tears it might make it, but CR is assumed as alone, so only the tears that it secretes should be taken into account.

14. - Top - End - #74

so you think it should be 9? A normal Treant is CR 8, and that has fire vulnerability...

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Of course, I'm not one to talk about CR*...so...just seems high. I suggest getting a second opinion.

*I have played very few 3.5 games, none of them over about 4th level. I don't really know how to measure CR particularly well.

Just seems that a wizard could toss down a fireball for 10d6 if it is a 10th level party, which would take down, on average, half it's hp. Follow it up with attacks from the other 5 people...

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    @^: erm...did you read the whole thing? It describes setting and using disease levels. It's just a method of determining things like size and HD.
    Haha nah I didn't. He snuck it in the wall of text in a template before the special abilities that I usually skim over. Whoops. I need to improve my forum-post-skimming-fu.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    @Caracol: You're now my hero, if only because of this: "Eastern Plague is the crawling and moving version of the Mummy Rot disease." I don't know why no one has done a living disease yet, but it's awesome and living mummy rot is even more so. Also, that swamp nymph = hot.
    Thanks!!! I took a lot of inspiration from the Living Spell Template (MMIII). Nice job with the mosquitos.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingpoo22
    Caracol, your moving disease things have an attack bonus way too low for their CR. They're not going to hit. And what's a disease level?
    Fixed the slam attack bonus, now should be better. But remember that these crawling disease prefers to suffucate rather that slamming, and their bonuses to this are high.
    I underlined what's a disease level, now it should not be missed.

To SirShadow: the Weeping Treat is good, someone had to make it.

To Icewalker: Not really an expert about psionics, sorry but I can't give an hand.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Monsters of the Swamp

CR 5 or Lower
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Creature | Type| CR | Source
    Lizard | Animal | 1/6 | MM
    Marsh Donkey | Animal | 1/3 | SG
    Rotten Infected Dog | Animal (Augmented) | 1/3 | SG
    Snake (Tiny Viper) | Animal | 1/3| MM
    Goblin, Forestkith | Humanoid (Goblin) | 1/2 | MM3
    Rot Slug | Vermin | 1/2 | SG
    Snake (Small Viper) | Animal | 1/2 | MM
    Stirge | Magical Beast | 1/2 | MM
    Bogun | Construct | 1 | MM2
    Bullywug | Humanoid (Aquatic) | 1 | MoF
    Deathcap Myconid, Scavenger | Plant | 1 | VT
    Eurypterid | Vermin (Aquatic) | 1 | SG
    Lizardfolk | Humanoid (Reptilian) | 1 | MM
    Lizardfolk, Fogbank | Humanoid (Reptilian) | 1 | MoF
    Lizardfolk, Poison Dusk | Humanoid (Reptilian) | 1 | MM3
    Ooze Paraelemental, Small | Elemental (Earth, Water) | 1 | MP
    Orc, Swamp | Humanoid (Orc) | 1 | SG
    Siv | Humanoid (Aquatic) | 1 | MoF
    Snake (Medium Viper) | Animal | 1 | MM
    Crawfish, Monstrous | Vermin (Aquatic) | 2 | SG
    Crocodile | Animal | 2 | MM
    Deathcap Myconid, Raider | Plant | 2 | VT
    Monitor Lizard | Animal | 2 | MM
    Necrospede | Vermin | 2 | VT
    Nibbleduck Swarm | Animal (Swarm) | 2 | VT
    Ophidian | Humanoid (Reptilian) | 2 | FF
    Shocker Lizard | Magical Beast | 2 | MM
    Snake, Constrictor | Animal | 2 | MM
    Snake (Large Viper) | Animal | 2 | MM
    Assassin Vine | Plant | 3 | MM
    Black Dragon (Wyrmling) | Dragon (Water) | 3 | MM
    Deathcap Myconid, Greater Raider | Plant | 3 | VT
    Dire Duck-Billed Platypus | Animal | 3 | VT
    Dire Nutria | Animal | 3 | SG
    Dracotaur | Dragon | 3 | MM3
    Geyserbelly | Vermin | 3 | VT
    Miresprite | Fey (Aquatic) | 3 | SG
    Ooze Mephit | Outsider (Extraplanar, Water) | 3 | MM
    Ooze Paraelemental, Medium | Elemental (Earth, Water) | 3 | MP
    Runehound | Aberration | 3 | MM3
    Snake (Huge Viper) | Animal | 3 | MM
    Toxdra | Fey | 3 | VT
    Wortling | Plant | 3 | MM2
    Bandytwine | Plant | 4 | VT
    Black Dragon (Very Young) | Dragon (Water) | 4 | MM
    Burl Tortoise | Animal | 4 | VT
    Deathcap Myconid, Stalker | Plant | 4 | VT
    Giant Crocodile | Animal | 4 | MM
    Green Warder | Plant | 4 | MoF
    Grey Ooze | Ooze | 4 | MM
    Harpy | Monstrous Humanoid | 4 | MM
    Hydra, Five-Headed | Magical Beast | 4 | MM
    Lurkin | Aberration (Aquatic) | 4 | SG
    Meazel | Monstrous Humanoid | 4 | MoF
    Spectral Panther | Magical Beast (Incorporeal) | 4 | MoF
    Swamp Dryad | Fey | 4 | SG
    Treant Tear | Ooze | 4 | SG
    Vine Horror | Plant (Aquatic) | 4 | FF
    Woodling | Plant | 4 | MM3
    Yellow Musk Creeper | Plant | 4 | FF
    Black Dragon (Young) | Dragon (Water) | 5 | MM
    Danket | Fey | 5 | VT
    Green Hag | Monstrous Humanoid | 5 | MM
    Hydra, Six-Headed | Magical Beast | 5 | MM
    Manticore | Magical Beast | 5 | MM
    Nyth | Aberration | 5 | MoF
    Ochre Jelly | Ooze | 5 | MM
    Ooze Paraelemental, Large | Elemental (Earth, Water) | 5 | MP
    Snake, Giant Constrictor | Animal | 5 | MM
    Swamp Mosquito Swarm | Vermin (Swarm) | 5 | SG
    Swamp Strider Swarm | Vermin (Swarm) | 5 | MM3
    Troll | Giant | 5 | MM
    Udoroot | Plant (Psionic) | 5 | XPH
    Vined Mouth | Plant | 5 | SG
    [/table]

CR 6-10
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahuizotl | Aberration (Aquatic) | 6 | FF
    Annis | Monstrous Humanoid | 6 | MM
    Bog Giant | Giant (Aquatic) | 6 | FF
    Catoblepas | Aberration | 6 | MM2
    Deathcap Myconid, Wicked | Plant | 6 | VT
    Glaistig | Fey | 6 | MM3
    Hydra, Seven-Headed | Magical Beast | 6 | MM
    Kopru | Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic) | 6 | MM2
    Nymph, Swamp | Fey | 6 | SG
    Parchplant | Plant | 6 | SG
    Shambling Mound | Plant | 6 | MM
    Slaad, Mud | Outsider (Chaotic Extraplanar) | 6 | FF
    Will O’Wisp | Aberration (Air) | 6 | MM
    Tendriculos | Plant | 6 | MM
    Assimilator Flies | Magical Beast (Swarm) | 7 | SG
    Black Dragon (Juvenile) | Dragon (Water) | 7 | MM
    Chuul | Aberration (Aquatic) | 7 | MM
    Damp Strider | Magical Beast (Water) | 7 | VT
    Dark Tree | Plant | 7 | MoF
    Darktentacles | Aberration | 7 | MM2
    Deathcap Myconid, Shaded Queen | Plant | 7 | VT
    Hydra, Eight-Headed | Magical Beast | 7 | MM
    Medusa | Monstrous Humanoid | 7 | MM
    Mudmaw | Magical Beast | 7 | MM2
    Ooze Paraelemental, Huge | Elemental (Earth, Water) | 7 | MP
    Swamplight Lynx | Magical Beast | 7 | MM2
    Web Golem | Construct | 7 | MM3
    Witch’s Fumes (Crawling Disease) | Ooze | 7 | SG
    Damu Chura | Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic) | 8 | VT
    Drowned | Undead | 8 | MM3
    Grey Render | Magical Beast | 8 | MM
    Hydra, Nine-Headed | Magical Beast | 8 | MM
    Magic-Eater Termites | Magical Beast (Swarm) | 8 | SG
    Neurotoad | Magical Beast (Aquatic, Psionic) | 8 | SG
    Rot Golem | Construct | 8 | SG
    Spirit Naga | Aberration | 8 | MM
    Swamp Giant | Giant | 8 | SG
    Bog-Born Young Black Dragon | Plant (Augmented Dragon, Water) | 8 | SG
    Black Dragon (Young Adult) | Dragon (Water) | 9 | MM
    Kelp Angler | Plant (Aquatic) | 9 | FF
    Hydra, Ten-Headed | Magical Beast | 9 | MM
    Ooze Paraelemental, Greater | Elemental (Earth, Water) | 9 | MP
    Vaporighu | Outsider (Evil) | 9 | MM2
    Weeping Treant | Plant | 9 | SG
    Greenvise | Plant | 10 | MM2
    Hydra, Eleven-Headed | Magical Beast | 10 | MM
    Kelpie | Fey (Aquatic) | 10 | FF
    Leechwalker | Vermin | 10 | MM2
    Rakshasa | Outsider (Native) | 10 | MM
    Ssvaklor | Dragon | 10 | MM3[/table]

CR 11+
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black Dragon (Adult) | Dragon (Water) | 11 | MM
    Crimson Death | Undead (Incorporeal) | 11 | MM2
    Disporgin | Monstrous Humanoid | 11 | SG
    Hydra, Twelve-Headed | Magical Beast | 11 | MM
    Mud Golem | Construct | 11 | MM3
    Ooze Paraelemental, Elder | Elemental (Earth, Water) | 11 | MP
    Rakshasa, Naztharune | Outsider (Native) | 11 | MM3
    Red Predator | Aberration | 11 | SG
    Stymphalian Bird | Magical Beast | 11 | SG
    Dripping Delugia | Plant (Water) | 12 | VT
    Golguthydra | Aberration | 12 | MoF
    Night Twist | Plant | 12 | MM3
    Ironmaw | Plant | 13 | FF
    Black Dragon (Mature Adult) | Dragon (Water) | 14 | MM
    Rotten Revenant Troglodyte | Undead (Augmented Humanoid, Reptilian) | 14 | SG
    Eastern Plague (Crawling Disease) | Ooze | 15 | SG
    Torcrab | Vermin (Aquatic) | 15 | VT
    Black Dragon (Old) | Dragon (Water) | 16 | MM
    Black Dragon (Very Old) | Dragon (Water) | 18 | MM
    Black Dragon (Ancient) | Dragon (Water) | 19 | MM
    Black Dragon (Wyrm) | Dragon (Water) | 20 | MM
    Mustakrakish | Colossal Giant | 20 | SG
    Night Twist, Ancient | Plant | 20 | MM3
    Orcwort | Plant | 20 | MM2
    Swamp Landwyrm | Dragon (Aquatic) | 20 | Dr
    Black Dragon (Great Wyrm) | Dragon (Water) | 22 | MM
    Spirit of the Land | Fey | 23 | MM2[/table]

Sources:
    Dr: Draconomicon
    FF: Fiend Folio
    MM: Monster Manual (or SRD)
    MM2: Monster Manual II
    MM3: Monster Manual III
    MoF: Monster of Faerun
    MP: Manual of the Planes
    SG: Swampgas (i.e., this thread)
    VT: Vorpal Tribble's creations
    XPH: Expanded Psionics Handbook

The way it's set up, you can click the column headings and sort by name (alphabetically), Type, CR (which is the default), or Source.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-07-06 at 10:28 PM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Great Monsters. I'm a huge fan of the crawling disease thing. As is, for most diseases their rapid infection ability is unlikely to come into play during combat (which only lasts a few rounds usually) but will become active immediately afterwards. That's fine but something you should be aware of. You could have it affect them like a contagion spell to make it happen in combat.

Living Spells also have pretty terrible BAB for their challenge ratings, but they have the Engulf special ability which doesn't require an attack role. I think the Crawling Diseases would benefit both thematically and mechanically from having it too.

In the spirit of diseases, a PrC I made a while back.
    Spoiler
    Show

DISEASE LORD
    I can slay more in a week than you can kill in a life time
    -Kamayan the Fallen
    Disease Lords, also sometimes called Plague Lords, are masters of pestilence. Some are neutral, knowing that disease is a natural part of life, while most are evil and revel in the indiscriminate killing.

Hit Die: d6
    Requirements
    To qualify to become a Disease Lord (DsL), a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Alignment: Any nongood.
    Skills: Heal 8; Knowledge (Religion) 8 or, Knowledge (Nature) 8
    Feats: Great Fortitude
    Spells: Able to cast contagion as a spell of spell like ability (optionally the DM can substitute another disease causing ability for this requirement)
    Special: Must be immune to disease either through natural means or a magical item.

Class Skills: The disease lord's class skills are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)
    Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.
    {table=head]Level |BAB|Fort | Ref| Will | Abilities | Spells per day/Spells Known
    1. | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Immunity | +1 level of existing class
    2. | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Contagious Touch |
    3. | +2 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Total Immunity, Virulence |+1 level of existing class
    4. | +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Plague Wind |
    5. | +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Resistant Strain |+1 level of existing class
    6. | +4 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Fungus, Plague Bottle |
    7. | +5 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Enhanced Strain |+1 level of existing class
    8. | +6 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Wound |
    9. | +6 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Epidemic |+1 level of existing class
    10. | +7 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Mastery of Disease |

[/table]

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Disease lords gain no proficiency with any armor. They become proficient with whips, scourges, sickles, and scythes if they were not already.

Spell Casting: Every odd level a Disease lord gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in the spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of controlling or rebuking undead, metamagic or item creation feats, hit points beyond those he receives from the prestige class, and so on), except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a disease lord, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Immunity(Ex): The Disease lord gains a permanent non magical immunity to natural diseases. At 3rd level the disease lord is totally immune to all diseases, magical or not. At third level they are also immune to all invasive growths such as green slime, a Vrock’s spore ability, or another disease lord’s fungus. The disease lord can still transmit the diseases, but he no longer suffers any effects.

Contagious Touch(Sp): Starting at second level the disease lord may use contagion as a spell like ability once per day per class level with a caster level equal to twice their class levels. The save is constitution based.

Virulence: Beginning at 3rd level The disease lord’s abilities can affect living creatures immune to disease, such as paladins, creatures naturally immune to disease, or bearers of a Periapt of Health. To affect a person with an immunity to disease the Disease Lord and the victim make opposed constitution checks. If the character is using a Periapt of Health or similar magic item they may use their own constitution or use the caster level of the item as their own constitution score if it is better. The disease lord adds 1/2 their class level to their role.

Plague Wind: At 4th level the Disease Lord can spread the disease demonbreath twice per day per 3 class levels. As a standard action the Disease Lord can release a cloud of demonbreath spores forcing everyone within ten feet of him to make a fortitude save. Persons breathing in demonbreath spores will contract the disease if they fail their first Fortitude save against it (DC 10+Class levels+Con Modifier). Demonbreath is not transmittable from one person to another. These symptoms usually appear 1d6 days after exposure. Demonbreath causes lesions on the lungs, which result in respiratory congestion leading to death (1d6 Con damage, DC 21).There is no medicinal cure for demonbreath and infected creatures can not recover on their own with Fortitude checks - a successful Fortitude check only prevents the damage from the disease for that day. Only magic can save a character infected with demonbreath. The range of this ability increases by ten feet every 3 levels after 4th (7th, 10th, ect.). Victims only notice the spores if they make a spot check (DC 15+Disease lord level+Con modifier). They only realize what the spores are if they make a Knowledge (Nature) check (DC 20) or a heal check (DC 25).

Resistant Strain: Diseases created by the disease lord gain spell resistance (10+disease lord's level+CON modifier). To cure any disease created by a disease lord with magic the caster must overcome the disease's resistance. For example if a cleric was casting cure disease on someone infected by a 5th level disease lord's contagious touch ability they would have to make a caster level check vs. 15 plus the disease lords constitution modifier.

Fungus(Su): Any living creature struck by the disease lord in melee must make a fortitude saving throw (DC 10+class level+con modifier) or become infested with a fecund fungus. Infestation requires 1 round for small or smaller creatures, or 1d4 for a medium creature. Each size category above medium adds an extra 1d4 rounds to the infestation time. An infected creature can rid itself of the fungus before the infestation is complete with either a remove disease spell or by taking 10 points of fire or cold damage. Once infestation is complete, the fibrous white filaments begin to seethe and twist in the host’s body, actively trying to resist any actions the host attempts. Because of this the host incurs a -2 penalty on attack rolls, dexterity-based skill checks, and reflex saves. The fungus continues to grow dealing 1 point of Charisma drain per day. A host whose charisma reaches 0 becomes comatose, and within 1 hour their body transforms into an immobile heap of fungus that lives for 3d6 weeks before perishing. Any creature that comes into contact with the fungus must make a Fortitude save (DC 20) or become infested as if it had been struck. Remove Disease cast after infestation destroys the fungus but does not restore lost charisma. The disease lord may use this a number of times per day equal to their constitution modifier plus their class levels.

Plague Bottle: By expending one of his daily uses of Plague Wind the Disease Lord can exhale a concentrated stream of Demonbreath Spores into a bottle and seal it. So prepared, the Plague Bottle becomes a grenadelike weapon that remains potent for a number of days equal to the Disease Lord's class level. Plague Bottles have a range increment of 10 ft, only affect the target that they're thrown at,increase the save DC to resist the Demonbreath disease by 2, and have an incubation time of only 1d4 rounds. If the Disease Lord has the Resistant or Enhanced Strain abilities, they apply to Plague Bottles as well.

Enhanced Strain:A disease lord adds ½ his class level to the DC for all diseases caused by him. Also add one point of the same type to all damage dealt by his diseases. Diseases that do damage to multiple stats have one added to both roles, and diseases that have a chance of doing 1 or more permanent damage add one to the amount that becomes permanent. (i.e. slimy doom normally does 1d4 Con damage, for the disease master it does 1d4+1 Con damage and the character must make another saving throw or 2 rather than only one point of the temporary damage is permanent.

Wound(Su):The damage a disease lord deals with his attacks doesn't heal naturally. Hit points heal at a rate of 1/day of rest or 0/day if any strenuous activities are undertaken. If remove disease is cast the wound heals normally. Only magical healing spells of 6th level or higher can affect it, and they must overcome the Disease Lord's Resistant Strain ability. The disease lord’s pestilence creeps to his melee weapons as well.

Epidemic(Sp): A disease lord may use epidemic as a spell like ability once per day per three class levels with a caster level equal to twice the Disease Lord's character level. The save is constitution based.
    Epidemic is a spell from Masters of the Wild

Mastery of Disease: With any of his spells or spell-like abilities that infect a subject with a disease the disease lord may use any disease he has encountered, not only the ones given in the spell or ability's list.

Notes on Creation: The rules of demonbreath are based on the anthrax rules from Ambient's book, Thee Compleat Librum Ov Gar'Udok's Necromantic Artes(thats spelled as it was found). The Fungus ability is from that Rukarazyll in Monstrous Manual II. The name demonbreath was thought of by gavagai. Plague Bottle was thought of and written by Asi the red from the wizards.com forums many a year ago.
    Last edited by Sxoa; 2008-02-21 at 07:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

A while back, someone said:
    - Base saves for giants are good for For, low for Ref and Will. For 12 HD, they should be +8/+4/+4.

So I add modifers to that? because that's what I'm doing.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Sxoa View Post
    Great Monsters. I'm a huge fan of the crawling disease thing. As is, for most diseases their rapid infection ability is unlikely to come into play during combat (which only lasts a few rounds usually) but will become active immediately afterwards. That's fine but something you should be aware of. You could have it affect them like a contagion spell to make it happen in combat.

Living Spells also have pretty terrible BAB for their challenge ratings, but they have the Engulf special ability which doesn't require an attack role. I think the Crawling Diseases would benefit both thematically and mechanically from having it too.
    Thanks. Remember that some diseases acts istantly (Crawling Mummy Rot, in this case, deals 1d6 ability damage to Con in just 1 turn.).
    The attack bonuses of the living spells sure are low, but I remade the calculations and now the crawling diseases have an attack bonus almost like their CR, which is normal for big sized monsters. The damage dealt is also average.
    The crawling diseases don't have engulf, but have suffucation, that uses the grapple bonus , which is high for them. It's a good way to incapacitate a character almost totally, just think of a arcane spellcaster with low Fort save and a gigantic Concentration DC to reach.

I'm taking a look at your PrC right now, I'll post my toughts on that later.

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard
    So I add modifers to that? because that's what I'm doing.
    Yes, they're the base saves. Add the modifiers and eventually feats or magical enanchments bonuses.

Characters played:

don't look here!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, just double checking.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caracol View Post
    Thanks. Remember that some diseases acts istantly (Crawling Mummy Rot, in this case, deals 1d6 ability damage to Con in just 1 turn.).
    [...]
    The crawling diseases don't have engulf, but have suffucation, that uses the grapple bonus , which is high for them. It's a good way to incapacitate a character almost totally, just think of a arcane spellcaster with low Fort save and a gigantic Concentration DC to reach.
    Warp Touch too, but most don't, which is fine, it was just something I wanted everyone to be aware of.

I was curious why you chose to have them use a trip attack to initiate instead of grapple?

24. - Top - End - #84

I will probably have enough time over the next few days to get something done, what would you guys like to see most next:

-The Hermit, a Magic-casting Prestige Class that prefers his privacy and will fight for it

-The Bog Rogue- a Rogue that sneaks stealthily through the boggy mire

-Some spells

-The Clouder, a Base Class that loves to de-buff with swamp flavoring (Ewww)

Also, please don't steal these ideas, I'd like to get them all done eventually, but what do you guys wanna see next?
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have finished Project Warlock, so will now write a bit about lizardmen. I will do at least 2 PrC's, and a bunch of fluffy stuffs. And some cool weapons.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

I'd say the Hermit but do whatever you want

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hermit sounds interesting, yeah. I'm going to start work on this 5-level PrC based around crafting diseases, The Concocter.

I'm also going to think on the class variations. They have these in each of the other environment books, so I figured Swampgas'll need them too. Rangers can get some form of bog tracking or bog survival...rogues could get a muck camouflage deal...to anyone else, feel free to come up with stuff for these.

Also, I have an interesting suggestion. That we seriously do this, instead of just making it a forum project. We write up the entire book, not just the stuff in it, in a style following the other environment books, then offer it to Victorious Press to publish. Should talk to them first, someone ought to PM Fax Celestis.

28. - Top - End - #88

Hermit sounds cool, and ya, that would be awesome as a real book, but we have a lot of stuff ahead of us.

Also, it's funny how this thread evolved from a personal project, to a checking interest thread, to a "Forum Project", and now it's a possible book, this is a little overwhelming, considering this "project"'s humble beginnings, but hey, if we can get enough stuff, it would be really cool.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Very tired, but tomorrow I will post the following

-The Swamp Gigger, an animal companion Prc, def needs critique though

-Hive Bracers fully specced

-The Bog Hoppers-race

Disporagin-swamp animal

also, that would be so awesome If we got this published
    Newest Avvy by Bisected8

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm all for getting this published, as long as they sell to a certain Bakka-Phoenix bookstore in toronto, so i could buy it :)
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.