New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Stories of Kyou - Rule thread.

This is a game I been working on for quite some time.
    The rules might change a bit since I'm not done balancing it yet but the changes are not going to be that major.
    Hopefully this game can get more players then my last game got.
    If you got any suggestions or think something in the game is unbalanced just tell me I'm open to suggestions.
    This game is basically designed to let the villagers get some small power roles (in some cases only for one turn) so they can play a more important role in the game. There will be some small "mini-games" that the villagers can entertain themselves with.
    Minimum Players: 30
    Maximum Players: None

Co-Narrator: The_Rouge_Monk

Setting: The game will take place in a fictional village in a fictional version of Japan but with many supernatural elements loosely based upon Japanese myths.
    I have also taken some inspiration from Magic: The Gatherings kimigawa block.
    The narration is going to be quite dark since the game is supposed to be a ghost story.
    I will later post a short back-story of the game and I might also create an pre-RP thread if anyone is interested.

This game will start on Tuesday 1 July

Stories of Kyou: The Face Stealer

A Japanese (inspired) ghost story

Introduction
    It’s the middle of the night and I am trying to walk home across the streets of Kyou. It's too dark at this hour and the moon is hiding tonight so I can barely see anything.
    Then I can perceive a woman crouching in the middle of the street, all alone, and weeping bitterly.
    My heart broke as I heard her sobs; I could not walk away from her so I stopped trying to comfort the poor girl. “O-jochu,” (“Young girl”) I exclaim, approaching her. “O-juchu” don't cry like that!” Tell me what the trouble is; and if there is a way to help you; ill be glad to do help you."
    But she continued to weep, hiding her face behind her long sleeve. “O-juchu” I said again as gentle as “I could please listen to me, this is no place for a young lady at night!"
    "Do not cry I implore you! Only tell me how I may be of some help to you!”
    Slowly the girl rose but turned her back at me still sobbing and moaning in her sleeve.
    I laid my hand lightly on her shoulder and pleaded “O-juchu, listen to me just for a little moment! O-juchu!"
    Then the girl turned around, and drooped her sleeve, and stroked her face with her hand, I saw that she had no eyes or mouth, her face was completely featureless.
    I screamed in terror and ran away. Everything was in a haze before my eyes; I never dared to look back.
    I saw a light in one of the houses so far away that it looked like the gleam of a firefly; and I run for it.
    The door was open so I quickly ran inside and closed it behind me,
    There were three men inside the house I did not know them but any human companionship was good after that experience.
    “Ahh!” I cried like a madman, trying to calm myself down.
    “Kore! Kore!” (“Hey, hey”) roughly exclaimed the man closest to me “What is the matter with you? Did anybody hurt you?”
    “No, Nobody hurt me,” I panted “only…" Then I got the image of the girl’s featureless face back in my head and screamed again "Ahh!”
    “Only scared you?” queried the man unsympathetically. “Robbers?”
    “Not robbers, not robbers,” I gasped. “I saw… I saw a woman… sitting in the middle of the streets… and she showed me… Ah! I can not tell you what she showed me!”
    The three men rose simultaneously from their seats and the man nearest to me then said “Was there anything like this she showed you? the men stroke their faces which therewith become like eggs.
    Then all the lights in the house went out.

Important Note: This is a Paranoia Style WW-game. That means I will not reveal a players role once they die.

Roles

Minions of Zubera (Werewolves)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Victory Conditions: A player with That Which Was Taken gives it to a Mujina or Zubera.

Mujina(also know as Noppera-bō): Werewolf’s, you are humans whose face have been stolen by Zubera and are now forced to serve him for all eternity. You all know each other and Zubera (and Zubera know you of course). You all scries as Mujina (werewolf)

Zubera, the Face Stealer: Alpha, you are a powerful oni that can steal people’s humans faces along with their very identities. You don't really got a personality yourself, inside you are a void that must be filled with the identities of other beings.
    You can also transfer your spirit to persons that you have stolen the face from since they are only empty shells anyway.
    Every time someone is killed by you and your minions you can steal their face if you want. This is done by message the game leader the day after that player was killed. When you have stolen someone’s face you will scry as the same role that person had.
    If you die you can select one of the Mujina, that player will get your role but will still scry as an Mujina (werewolf) untill he/she steals the face of someone.
    As long as you have a stolen face you can never be scried as a Mujina (werewolf) of a correct or a incorrect scry.

Inhabitants of Kyou (Team Villager)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Victory Conditions: Zubera, Susumu and all the Mujina are dead.

Villager: You are the villagers of the small village of Kyou that is currently under attack by Zubera and his Mujina (faceless).

The Otorio Clan: Masons, members of the Otorio Clan that all know each other. One person in the Otorio clan will begin with That Which Was Taken.
    Scries as Otorio Clan member (Mason).

Isamu/Ryo: Baner, You are Isamu a man that have been possessed by the takeshi (dog spirit) Ryo. Every night you can protect someone from a night-kill but not yourself since it is the rule of the takeshi to only protect others.
    You scries as Isamu/Ryo (baner).

That Which Was Taken: If a person with this item gives it to a player in the Minion team you have lost the game and the Minions of Zubera have won.
    The orb can be moved to any player unlimited times during the day by message the game leader (you can not move it during the night). When a player with this item is lynched or killed in any other way the player with the artifact must message the game leader and give it to another person.
    If the same player would hold this artifact for three nights Zubera will learn what player that is holding That Which Was Taken and their role.
    One of the masons will begin with this item.

Neutral Roles
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hana/Myobi: You are Hana, a girl that have been possessed by the kisune (fox spirit) Myobi.
    Myobi want you to mark as many as you can with his blessed mark.
    Every night you can mark someone with a Kitsunetsuki mark, they can either decline or accept this mark, any role except Kuori can have a mark.
    All players that accepts the Kitsunetsuki mark will get a randomly selected effect that will be one of the following:
    You will learn the role of the players that died this night the following day.
    The maximum vote count against you the following day will decrease by 2.
    You will learn the exact number of werewolfs and masons in the game right now.
    You will scry one randomly selected player with 50 % chance of getting the correct result.
    Select another player, you will see if that player is possessed by a kami or not and what kind of kami he/she is possessed by.
    Your vote count as 2 instead of 1 untill the next night.
    You will learn the role of the player that was lynched the next day at the time he/she is lynched.
    Name a role other then a villager, you will learn the name of someone that is not that role.
    You will be able to send one message trough the narrator to either one selected player. This must be done before the next night.
    Select one player other then youself, the maximum vote count against that player the following day will decrease by 1.
    You win if you or anyone with the Kitsunetsuki mark is alive at the end of the game.
    Players can only get the Kitsunetsuki mark once.
    Hana/Myobu scries as a villager with a Kitsunetsuki mark.

Michiko: You are Hana's big sister that now have to protect her against Kuori after your careless sister got possessed by Myobi. If Hana/Myobi would die you will become possessed by Myobi instead and will gain the ability to mark player with the Kitsunetsuki mark.
    If Michiko and Hana/Myobi would vote at the same player their votes count as 3 instead of 2 in the total vote count.
    You and Hana know each other and share the same victory condition.
    Michiko scries as a villager with a Kitsunetsuki mark.

Scryers
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are three seers in the game; all of them have different victory conditions.
    But at the start of the game they only know that they can scry each night not what victory conditions they have. The only way to find out what role they have (they can’t scry themselves) is to successfully scry the other two seers.
    The seers always see if the player have a Kitsunetsuki mark or not even if they got the incorrect role on the scry.
    If a scryer dies the other scryers will get a message from the game leader about who died unless zubera stole that players face.
    If Zubera stole the dead scryers face the other scryers will not know that that player died untill Zubera changes his face or Zubera dies.

Ayumu, the Seer: Seer, You are a traveling seer that has come to help this village but unfortunate after a mental fight with your former apprentice Susumu and the oni Kuori you don’t know who you are.
    Every night you use your inner vision to see the role of one selected player.
    Your victory conditions are the same as team villager.
    You scries as Ayumu, (Seer).

Susumu, the Betrayer: Devil, You betrayed your mentor Ayumu and joined Zubera’s side but after a fight with Ayumu and the oni Kuori you have forgotten who you really are.
    Every night you use your inner vision to see the role of one selected player.
    Your victory conditions are the same as the Minions of Zubera.
    You scries as Susumu, (Devil).

Kuori, the Hunter: Neutral Fool, You are an oni in human-guise that come here to hunt Myobi to satisfy your lust for the hunt. But after a mental fight with two seers you have forgotten who you really are.
    Your victory conditions are to kill Hana/Myobi and all players that are marked by the Kitsunetsuki mark. Once they all are dead you have won.
    Every night you can with your oni-magic to see the role of one player but you are not very skilled at seeing things except the Kitsunetsuki marks so you only have 25 % chance of getting a correct result from a scry.
    Scrying the same target again will yield the same result.
    Once you have scried the other two seers you will learn your true purpose and will be able target a person every night. If the targeted person bears the Kitsunetsuki mark he/she will die, otherwise nothing will happen.
    If someone tries to night-kill Kuori that attempt will fail and Kuori will learn his true role, Kuori can only be killed by lynches.
    You can not accept a Kitsunetsuki mark.
    You scry as Kuori, (Neutral Fool).

Other Rules

Kami
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kami are spirits of well everything, from objects to ideals and can possess players that have done certain things in the game.
    In this game there is two types of kami, Minor Kami and Major Kami.

Minor Kami
    Minor Kami can only possess villagers and can provide different things depending on the kami.
    I will not reveal what types of minor kami that exists in the game or what you have to do to get possessed by them but I can asure you that their powers are not exactly game changing. These Minor Kami will provide some mini-games and other stuff to the villagers.

Major Kami
    There is only two major kami in the game and since they have a bit more game-changing powers I will reveal what they can do and how player can get possessed by them. If someone is possessed by them it will be publicy announced in the game thread.

Kami of Salavation: If all power-roles in team villager is dead except one that player will be possessed by the Kami of salvation. When they become possessed they can choose one of the following bonuses:

Shield of Burning Revenge: Every night the player possessed by the kami of Salvation can select one player (they can select themselves). If someone try to kill the selected player there is an 50 % chance that one of the players responsible for that will die (the player "protected" by the burning shield will still die thought.)

Final Stand: The next three nights the player possessed by the kami of salvation can't be killed by night-kills even if he/she has That Which Was Taken (the player with this bonus can still be lynched thought).
    This is the only effect that can prevent a player from getting killed by pure hatred.

Revealing Light: The player possessed by the Kami of Salvation can two times during the game scry a player. The role of this player will be revealed in the game thread and the result can't be incorrect even if the player had something that would hide his/her true role.
    After the player have used a charge of this ability he/she must wait three days before he/she can use the second charge.

Kami of Ancient Hatred: If there is only one player remaining in The Minions of Zubera that player will be possessed by the Kami of Ancient Hatered and gets to choose one of the following bonuses:

Ancient Knowledge: Every night the player possessed by the Kami of Ancient Hatred can scry one player. This scry will reveal if that player have That Which Was Taken or not.

Pure Hatred: The player possessed by the Kami of Ancient Hatred gets a one time only bonus kill. This kill ignores baner protection and any other effects that would spare the player from dying.
    This effect can even kill Kuori, but not a player under the effect of "Final Stand".

Corruption: The players possessed by the Kami of Ancient Hatred have one recruitment attempts. It can only use this attempt on a villager that does not have That Which Was Taken. That villager can accept or decline this attempt. If you tried to recruit a non-villager the attempt is gone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Player List 26/30+
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freshmeat_
    Murska
    Saint Nil
    GAThraawn
    Banjo1985
    detrevnisisiht
    EagleWiz
    Griever
    Fleeing Coward
    BadgerX
    Emperor Demonking
    hap_hazard
    DemonicAngel
    dallas-dakota(?)
    Jontom Xire
    Yspoch
    Aemoh
    Leper_Kahn
    Face of Evil
    Draken
    Zombie pixe
    WrstDmEvr
    Yoritomo Himeko
    Supagoof
    Mordokai
    Recaiden
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2008-07-01 at 03:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Stories of Kyou: The Face Stealer - Please move to structured

If [ThreadTitle] contains ["Werewolf" OR "WW"] Then [FreshmeatSignUpStatus] = [In]
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Stories of Kyou: A Werewolf Game - Please move to structured

I'm going to join this one, hoping that I'll survive longer than in the Starcraft game. :P
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

4. - Top - End - #4

Sounds cool. IN

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

5. - Top - End - #5

Sounds really good. Sign me up!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds good, it looks like I'm dead in a few more games and a couple more have just finished up, so sure I'm in.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

* In *

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sounds cool. As I said on the WW board, I will join.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Sign me up.
    "Eins, zwei, drei... Ugh, I do not think we brought enough body bags."
    -TF2 Medic
    1850's TF2 Medic graciously provided by kpenguin

Call Filthy Grief, Pacemaker

Feel like some Dark Coffee?

10. - Top - End - #10

Sign me up please.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

11. - Top - End - #11
    BadgerX
    Guest in the Playground

i'll join aswell

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Sign me up.

13. - Top - End - #13

It seems this thread moved to structured without me noticing it.
    Anyway I should mention the event system a bit later on (when I'm done with it.)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Stories of Kyou: A Werewolf Game - Recruitment Thread

In. -filler-
    -SPLAT!-

15. - Top - End - #15

In, dear sir.

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe in, when will the game begin? It really depends on that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    Maybe in, when will the game begin? It really depends on that.
    The 1 July the game will begin if everything goes as planned.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

This looks very very very good.

I have no idea how the game balance will go. There are no obvious game breakers that I can see, but the rules are quite complex, so examining the permutations is a bit tricky.

It looks like a lot of fun, the whole structure of the game hangs together very well with the setting, I think it could turn out to be one of the best variants I've ever seen.

One thing though, I'd avoid calling Mujina "werewolves" in the rules and flavour text, because they're not werewolves.

Definitely in!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Damn Jontom and his twisting logic that make sense.
    Nothing personal JX, I just know how completely devious and brilliant you are at these games when you have the time to devote to them.
    All I'll say is that Jontom is a master at these games ... the blue guy with the spiky teeth can be very persuasive.

Evnafet's GitP WW archive is here.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

In, please.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Jontom Xire View Post
    This looks very very very good.

I have no idea how the game balance will go. There are no obvious game breakers that I can see, but the rules are quite complex, so examining the permutations is a bit tricky.

It looks like a lot of fun, the whole structure of the game hangs together very well with the setting, I think it could turn out to be one of the best variants I've ever seen.

One thing though, I'd avoid calling Mujina "werewolves" in the rules and flavour text, because they're not werewolves.

Definitely in!!
    Thanks.
    Also I fixed the Mujina/Werewolf thing as you said and then I renamed The Akira Dragon to: That Which Was Taken.
    In honor of a game, So don't be confused by that.
    If you find any "game-breakers" don't be afraid to tell me, I will try to fix it right away.

Edit: I did remove the role swapping in case of possible game breakers.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2008-06-04 at 08:36 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

IN

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

22. - Top - End - #22

I loved your last game. I'm in.
    The GitP WarCraft III The Frozen Throne Group: USEast(Azeroth), channel op GitP, 4 PM EST Friday
    The GitP StarCraft BroodWar Group: USEast, channel op GitP, 5 PM EST Saturday

http://apina.biz/11996.jpg

Dr. Bath has created a masterpiece... I call it my avatar.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll go in.

24. - Top - End - #24

To gain some attention to the game I'm starting a contest (sort of), everyone that wants can send in a suggestion of a Minor Kami.

Now this sounds confusing doesn't it? Allow me to explain then, this is a example of a minor kami (complete with a image taken directly from magic the gathering).

Innocence Kami, Requirement: The first night of the game a randomly selected player that did not receive any votes during the first day of the game will become possessed by this Kami.
    Effect: After 7 days in the game the player possessed by it will be able to avoid one lynch or night-kill. If one or more players have less (not equal) votes then you one of them will be possessed by Innocence Kami instead.
    If the player possessed by the Innocence Kami dies before 7 days has passed it will posses a randomly selected player that didn’t receive any votes the last day.

(and yes I have shown this kami before)
    The kami's role in the game is to provide the villagers (and sometimes the other roles) with something else to do then just vote.
    Right now there is 7 Minor Kami's all with different requirements and effects but I seems to have run out of ideas so I would like you to make up a Minor kami for me.
    It can't be too game changing but creativity is a must, the kami I like the most will be in the game and its creator will get a trophy (this is the only trophy in this game since well I'm lazy.)
    I don't expect this contest to be very popular but at least it might draw some attention to the game and if I do get some contestants it will improve the game overall.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2008-06-05 at 06:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

This sounds like an interesting game.

I'm in.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #26

Do you still need a co-narrator?
    I'd be willing to help with that if you do...
    silver

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Post Re: Stories of Kyou: A Werewolf Game - Recruitment Thread

I'm So in!

It's just now that I wonder if I will be one of the first to get scried, or night killed
    Failed at RAF hosting.

AMENite
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roles in WW games so far...
    Villager:7
    Mason:1
    Seer:0
    Fool:2
    Alpha:1
    Devil:0
    Wolf:5
    Other:1

Current games
    Stargate
    When Cicidians Cry
    Face Stealers
    Fatbelly 4

BRC killed my Pixe!! thankies dude!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

In. I like being paranoid
    I apologize for the quality of the above post.

29. - Top - End - #29

I'd like to play, too.
    Here are two good sites for Dragon Cave dragons.
    Spoiler
    Show

http://dusk.datavibe.net/draco/index.php
    http://www.sotidragon.net/

You just put your dragons on there and they'll get the clicks you need. And you can also click other people's dragons as well. I hope this helps.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ok you asked for it. A few serious ones and a bunch of joke ones. (I loved that expansion)

Kami of Lunacy:
    Requirement: Reveal your role to the game (Must have a special [Non-villager] role)
    Effect: You go insane. You must RP being insane. If you do not you die.

Pus Kami:
    Requirement: Narate a disgusting death scene.
    Effect: The person is replaced by the other Nariator.

Kami Of Empty Graves:
    Requirement: Be the person with the 2nt most lynch votes 3 days in a row.
    Effect: Chose one dead person. They become a vilager and return to life.

Deathknell Kami:
    Requirement: Vote for the same person for 4 days in a row without either of you dieing.
    Effect: You may chose to kill both yourself and the person you voted for 4 days in a row.

Also my oppinion on the mark

You will learn the role of the players that died this night the following day. [Quite balenced]
    You will have 50 % chance to avoid being killed or lynched untill the next night. [Could be a problem]
    You will learn the exact number of werewolfs and masons in the game right now. [Fine]
    You will scry one randomly selected player with 50 % chance of getting the correct resultant. [Again not game breaking]
    If will not be able to vote or use any night action untill the next night but you can not be lynched, killed or scried either during that time. [Ok]
    Your vote count as 2 instead of 1 untill the next night. [Quite ballenced]
    Random role-play effect will happen you during the night that will be in the end of night-phase message (and all players will also know that you accepted a Kitsunetsuki mark). [BAD. For you.]
    Name a role other then a villager, you will learn the name of someone that is not that role. [Or in other words, scry an ally. Fine]
    You will be able to send one message trough the narrator to either one selected player or to all players at once in the game thread. This must be done before the next night. [Ballenced]
    You can ask a dead player one question, he/she must answer it but not truthfully if he/she don't want to. [Now you see this one is useless. They still have an agenda and lets face it you can contact them normaly.]
    Last edited by EagleWiz; 2008-06-06 at 07:09 PM.