New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Dragonforce: Ultra Beatdown

Attention heavy metal warriors and guitar heroes across the land.

DragonForce are pleased to announce Ultra Beatdown as the title of their forthcoming new album for Roadrunner Records, due in stores on August 26.

Ultra Beatdown is an epic, sweeping, grand collection of infectious guitar anthems that'll inspire all who listen to either pump their fists in the air or pick up a guitar, whether it be real or virtual.

DragonForce's single from 2006's Inhuman Rampage, "Through The Fire and Flames," exploded on the public beyond the metal world thanks to its appearance on the massively popular guitar simulator game. The single has been RIAA certified Gold in the US.

The track listing for Ultra Beatdown is as follows:

Heroes of Our Time

The Fire Still Burns

Reasons to Live

Scars of Yesterday

Heartbreak Armageddon

The Last Journey Home

Inside the Winter Storm

The Warrior Inside

The band will spend the summer as a main stage attraction on the inaugural Rockstar Energy Mayhem tour, which features labelmates/headliners Slipknot, as well as Disturbed, Machine Head, Mastodon, and Airbourne, to name a few.

DragonForce will undoubtedly tear up the stage with their blend of guitar acrobatics, traded off by the virtuosos known as Herman Li and Sam Totman, as well as the soaring, room-filling vocals of ZP Theart. Bassist Frederic Leclerq and drummer Dave Mackintosh continue to fortify the band's rhythmic backbone, while Vadim Pruzhanov laces the band's power sound with keys.

May the "Force" be with you this summer.
    Now I love Dragonforce, but this seems a little, egotistical, maybe? Ultra Beatdown. I wonder who thought of that name... whatever.

Anyways, I like Dragonforce. I liked them before Guitar Hero. I continue to like them. I realize many people criticize them because they're emotionless shredders with little originality, but I still like them. Because although speed and technique isn't everything, it still is something. So, discuss your opinion, por favor.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Dragonforce: Ultra Beatdown

Meh, The name is more or less in the theme of what ALL Their album/song names are
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragonforce is spinning ever deeper into unconscious self-parody.

On the other hand, that tour sounds pretty damn good. Dragonforce, Disturbed, and Machine Head? Hope they play somewhere near me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragonforce are the crazed 80s metal bands I was not alive to enjoy. Let the epic and silliness commence!
    A post about nothing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Ultra Beatdown"....

Well, to me it sounds pants-on-head retarded. But... Eh. I like thier music. I can pretend I don't know the album's name.

I am hoping to see them at Mayhemfest this summer. It will be Epic.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dragonforce, airborne, and Mastadon in one show? The one time I take a vacation this year...

...hears hoping they play in the bahamas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Dragonforce is spinning ever deeper into unconscious self-parody.

On the other hand, that tour sounds pretty damn good. Dragonforce, Disturbed, and Machine Head? Hope they play somewhere near me.
    Unconscious? I thought it was deliberate?

Eh, I like their music, so I can ignore the ridiculous title.
    Thanks to Andraste for the Void avatar.
    My surviving Exalted homebrew can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bookworm
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    Unconscious? I thought it was deliberate?

Eh, I like their music, so I can ignore the ridiculous title.
    Indeed, part of the reason I like them is that they know full well how ridicules they are and rather than try to hide it they have embraced it as part of there image.
    Last edited by Quezovercoatl; 2008-06-05 at 09:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I suspect that deep down, every heavy metal band knows they really shouldn't be taken too seriously. But it's deeper for some than others.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

'Ultra Beatdown'? Wow. This sounds like everything I love about Dragonforce, I'm gonna have to get this album (not that I wouldn't have done so anyway, but y'know. Even more so now)

As for self-parody, I'm fairly sure they're well aware that it's there, like most metal bands. With the possible exception of Man O War
    New Avatar by Dr. Bath. Many thanks

Spoiler
    Show

Ki-Glaivemaster by Quincunx

See the real Glaivemaster

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkin View Post
    Greek Gorgons certainly did not look like big metal cows.

11. - Top - End - #11

The Mayhemfest is playing near me! I was wavering on whether I should go, but I think I will. How awesome will this concert be?! I've only really heard Dragonforce and Disturbed though, so I should listen to the other bands.

As for the self-parody . . . well, intentional or not, so long as their music will keep me awake on the way to school, I guess I'm set.

Speaking of school, I'd better go . . .

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I can has, MOAR dragonforce!?!
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

13. - Top - End - #13

Kobold

Dragonforce, Disturbed and Slipknot all in one place ? OMG !!!

Me wants 'em !
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm just starting to listen to Dragonforce and I don't really know how I feel about them. I certainly don't consider them metal. I think if they spoke Japanese they could make a good career making anime title songs. I can really picture a bunch of anime characters with extravagant hairstyles running while listening to them.
    Banjhulu avatar and quote by Serpentine
    Dryken avatar by Kwarkpudding

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post

Me wants 'em !
    You stole my line! I just checked, and the tour will be very close to me, so I plan on attending. I hope they play a lot of Valley of the Damned, that's my favorite CD of theirs.
    b4k4 4 j00

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dryken View Post
    I'm just starting to listen to Dragonforce and I don't really know how I feel about them.
    You didn't reflexively think "Hmmm, obviously the accidental result of a drunken fumble backstage between Man-o-War and Judas Priest"? Maybe that was just me...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post

Me wants 'em !
    Chumley is weeping over the fate of metal. Disturbed, Slipknot, all of those bands... its funk. With heavy guitars and screaming. And don't get me started on the lyrics... Honestly. Dragonforce, at least, is good fun, but Slipknot... It's clowns. With spikes. Making funny noises and screaming a lot. And don't even get me started on Craig Jones... a disgrace to keyboardists everywhere. Contrast Slipknot to Dream Theater... every individual member of Dream Theater is a more versatile, more technically skilled, more entertaining, and more prolific musician. I have yet to find a "maggot" who wasn't completely blown away by Panic Attack, This Dying Soul, Root of All Evil, Forsaken, Lie... Honestly, there is no comparison. Progressive Nation '08 ftw, I say. Dream Theater, Opeth, Between Buired and Me, and 3. Epic.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Chumley is weeping over the fate of metal. Disturbed, Slipknot, all of those bands... its funk. With heavy guitars and screaming. And don't get me started on the lyrics... Honestly. Dragonforce, at least, is good fun, but Slipknot... It's clowns. With spikes. Making funny noises and screaming a lot. And don't even get me started on Craig Jones... a disgrace to keyboardists everywhere. Contrast Slipknot to Dream Theater... every individual member of Dream Theater is a more versatile, more technically skilled, more entertaining, and more prolific musician. I have yet to find a "maggot" who wasn't completely blown away by Panic Attack, This Dying Soul, Root of All Evil, Forsaken, Lie... Honestly, there is no comparison. Progressive Nation '08 ftw, I say. Dream Theater, Opeth, Between Buired and Me, and 3. Epic.
    How the hell do you mention Systematic Chaos and not Scenes From A Memory?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh boy, now it's four albums of the same song instead of three. Dragonforce is metal for people that don't listen to metal. The fact that they're touring with Disturbed and Slipknot just drives that point home, both of those bands are a joke.

Also, Progressive Nation '08 in Orlando was awesome.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave44 View Post
    Oh boy, now it's four albums of the same song instead of three. Dragonforce is metal for people that don't listen to metal. The fact that they're touring with Disturbed and Slipknot just drives that point home, both of those bands are a joke.

Also, Progressive Nation '08 in Orlando was awesome.
    I listen to all sorts of metal as well as Dragonforce. What say ye to that, laddie?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now, I disagree with this, slightly. Dream Theater is my favorite metal band, without a doubt, and Prog is one of the better music genres out there, but have you heard Disturbed's newest album? While they can't match Dream Theater for sheer musical prowess, I'd prefer the raw emotion in a song like "The Night" to the random, incongruous solo in "Endless Sacrifice", for example (the rest of that song is pure win, though ). Plus their songwriting is much improved; and I'd feel safe recommending Indestructible to any of my metalhead friends, whether they like Metallica or Tool or Dimmu Borgir. If they like Avenged Sevenfold, though, to hell with 'em

But yeah, that Rockstar Tour sounds like it's going to be pretty awesome.
    Thanks so much to Doihaveaname? for the awesome Iron Man Doihavatar! Here's another one.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Some random dude on the internet isn't going to change your opinion, nor do I wish to, but I just find them to be shallow and hilariously blown out of proportion by people that don't have an accurate scope of other power metal bands to compare them to. The most recent experience I had this was at a pool hall the other night, some drunk redneck was yelling to his buddies about how one of the songs he had put on the jukebox was the best metal song ever, Through The Fire and Flames, which was immediately followed by his other pick, I Love My Tractor Almost As Much As My First Cousin or some such.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

The fact that you do not like a particular subgenre of metal does not make it stop being metal.

Though if you'd only attacked Slipknot and not Disturbed as well, I probably wouldn't have reacted at all. I haven't listened to that much Slipknot, but what I've heard has all been pretty bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

24. - Top - End - #24

Kobold

Meh, I like this song from Slipknot the most: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_09wFxoaeQ
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

25. - Top - End - #25

The fact that you do not like a particular subgenre of metal does not make it stop being metal.
    EXACTLY.

I was listening to Nightwish and referred to it as 'metal' (it's symphonic metal, not your stereotypical 'screaming indistinguishable voices almost drowned out by drums metal), and she started saying, "That's not even metal, my friends LISTEN to metal and that's not it, get your genres right . . ." Well, she didn't say THAT, but that's the idea.

I told her it was simply a different type of metal, and it's like when I refer to all her pop music as "rap" - I hate it all, why bother really distinguishing?

Dragonforce is actually very good power metal. I wasn't aware that somehow it wasn't? Just because it doesn't sound like more popular metal bands it's somehow not metal?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

And now we get into genre distinctions and everything goes to hell... And, calling Dream Theater emotionless is pretty untrue. Wait for Sleep, The Silent Man, Through Her Eyes, Solitary Shell...

Octavarium>MpII: SfaM.
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2008-06-08 at 09:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

And now we get into genre distinctions and everything goes to hell... And, calling Dream Theater emotionless is pretty untrue. Wait for Sleep, The Silent Man, Through Her Eyes, Solitary Shell...

Octavarium>MpII: SfaM.
    That is such blasphemy.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Well, this is a pickle. I'm supposed to arrive at University on the 27th September, and start term on the 3rd October. The two most likely performances that I could go to are 27th Spetember (typical) and 7th October, which I don't know if I could do, and probably won't know until too late. Dammit

As for is Dragonforce metal? Of course it is. People saying it isn't should stop being so pretentious. Is it the best band ever? No, not really. Is it good metal? Well, that's just opinion isn't it? I listen to it because it's fun and it makes me smile. I don't particularly care about the skill or emotion or any such crap, it just makes me feel good, and I imagine that's what a lot of people listen to Dragonforce (and similar bands) for.

You didn't reflexively think "Hmmm, obviously the accidental result of a drunken fumble backstage between Man-o-War and Judas Priest"? Maybe that was just me...
    Hahaha. I don't know if this is an insult or a compliment. It's probably this reason that I listen to them
    New Avatar by Dr. Bath. Many thanks

Spoiler
    Show

Ki-Glaivemaster by Quincunx

See the real Glaivemaster

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkin View Post
    Greek Gorgons certainly did not look like big metal cows.