New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Ultimate Greed IV [Game Thread]

History of Gwynedd - The rise of a new King

After the short-lived reign of King Xykon Fan, and the subsequent annihilation of the noble ranks, Gwynedd entered a golden age. Without the nobility watching over their every move and laying claim to all their hard earned assets, the peasants of the land thrived, having finally been allowed the freedom to enjoy their lives and reap the rewards of their hard labour.

However, peace never lasts long. An ambitious peasant going by the name of Fast Even saw opportunity in the new system and made his move. Claiming a distant relation with the forgotten kings and queens of past, he rallied the sons and daughters of the old nobility and with the help of hired mercenaries once again restored the Monarchy to Gwynedd.

Unfortunately for Fast Even, although he was a great leader in battle, his peasant like behaviour outside of battle made him many enemies among the noble ranks and it wasn’t long before a “hunting accident “ left his only son evnafets as the sole heir to the throne.

Now as the wolves Dukes and Nobles gather to pay their homage to the new king at his coronation ceremony, many have a glint in their eyes, perhaps seeing opportunity where there previously was none as they await for the entrance of their King.

Thus begins a new year in Gwynedd and the promises of riches that come with it.

(I'll apologise in advance for the horrible narration that everyone will probably have to endure throughout the game. Writing has never been one of my talents.)

The Rules (Returning players, feel free to skip down to the last 2 sections for changes):
    Spoiler
    Show

The aim of this game is to get as much money as possible.

In the game, there are three roles you can be:

King: Only one of this role. This person is the one who controls the main flow of money. He also starts with the power level of 10.
    Duke: There are 5 of this role. Each gets money from the King, and gives it to the dukes.
    Noble: They take the money, and complain when they don't have enough. They also pm their support for rebellions, and can spy on others.

Right. So those are the three roles.

Everyone also has a Power Level, which can be 1 - 10. Everyone knows their own power levels. Dukes know their noble's power levels. Kings know everyone's power levels.

So now that's out of the way...

Basic principle:

A year, or round, begins.
    The King gets money! Wooo! A whole 100-200 of it! He then has 24 hours to give out money to the Dukes. But, also, the Dukes get 3-5 Gold, and the Nobles get 1-3 Gold.
    After this, the Dukes have 24 hours to give money to the nobles.
    Note on Gold Distributions - Please pm also the Narrators with how much money you're giving to people. We'll need to update the excel sheet.
    After the gold distributions, you get 24 hours to banter and talk about how wonderful life is under your Duke/King, before the end of the round.

But what if it isn't?

Well, you can go Rebel! Nobles go rebel against Dukes, Dukes rebel against Kings, Kings rebel against the Narrators.
    You can, if you wish, attack anyone. This works exactly the same as a rebellion, only with different people. So yes, you can now attack that noble if you’re a Duke. You can also attack that noble if you’re that king.

Rebellion!

Well, let's pretend that I am a greedy Ruler, and Bob wants more money. Bob Declares a Rebellion against Castaras, in nice red writing, so that the narrator can see what's happening. If a Rebellion is declared, the day is extended. Everyone has 48 hours to do one of three things: Support the Rebellion, Oppose the Rebellion, Or remain Neutral.

Nobles can pm who they support to the narrators. Dukes and Kings announce in the thread.

After 48 hours pass, the total power level of each side is added up. Whoever has the highest power level wins.

So lets say that Bob has just won his rebellion against Castaras. He can now choose who dies on Castaras' side. So he could kill Castaras. Or he could kill Fred, who hurt him in another game somewhere. Or he could kill George for stabbing him in stabbity death.

But if Castaras had won, she could choose who dies on Bob's side, just as Bob can choose who he kills.

So Bob decides that Castaras, that greedy ruler, is going to die. Splat, she's dead. Her money goes to Bob, who can do what he wants with it. He also can gives land to those on his side - Or give power levels adding up to a total of Castaras' power level.

Or, to put it more simply: Castaras has power level 4. Bob has four points of power to give to people - He could give Harry +1 power level, Sam +2 power level, and John +1 power level. Or he could give Sam +4 power level. But he couldn't give Sam +4 power level as well as giving Harry +3 power level - He's only got 4 in total to give out.

So, Castaras is dead. Who takes her place? Well, anyone. The winner of a rebellion offers the position opened to anyone they like. So Bob could become the ruler in Castaras' place. Or he could let Sam become the ruler.

Base Power Levels has been capped at 20 to prevent another end game massacre.

Right. That's kinda sounding more complicated than it actually is. Moving on:

Money!

"My Gold!", Quoth She.

Money. As you know, King's get 100-200 gold each round, Dukes 3-5 Gold each round, Nobles 1-3 gold each round.

What do you do with this gold?

Well. It is the main thing you need to win the game.

Buuuut...You can also use it for other things:

- Power level bonus!: You can spend up to 50GC to get a temporary power level bonus, at 10GC per point. Pm a narrator to do this.
    - Give to other players!: Trade gold for secret alliances. Give gold as a gift to someone. Just pm the narrators as well as the recipient, and away ye go!
    - Buy NPCs!: Now here we have the crunchy part. You can buy, for 5 GC, one, and one NPC only. These NPCs give special abilities:
    NPCs
    Spoiler
    Show

Each NPC has a different effect. They can also level, up to level 10.
    Thief – Steals gold from player (you choose a player, and depending on the level of the NPC, you get an amount of gold from the other player equal to Thief’s Levelx 1.5.
    Enforcer – Protects player from Thieves. If a thief attacks you, depending on the thieves level, and the enforcer’s level, you have a chance of evading the theft, and avoiding losing your money. Having an enforcer will always tell you the identity of the thief.
    Soldier – Increases your power level by Soldier’s Level/2.

These NPCs gain a level when…
    Thief – Every successful steal
    Enforcer – Every successful protect
    Soldier – Everytime you’re on the side of the successful rebellion/invasion/fight

So yeah, gold is useful stuff. But remember – You need the most gold in the game to win. So try not to spend too much!

The Noble’s Spying ability
    If a Noble wishes, for 5GC, they can go ‘spy’ on another noble, duke, or the king. Spying will tell you either How much gold someone has, Which NPC someone has, or How high someone’s base power level is.

Personalities
    Spoiler
    Show

At the beginning of the game each player can pick one of the following personalities. These personalities will give you a minor bonus and in some cases, drawbacks for the game.
    Merchant - Greater personal gold supply per round. (Nobles: 2-5 GC, Dukes: 5-9 GC, King: 10GC)
    Warmonger - Your power level gets a +4 bonus for any attack you initiate and a +2 bonus for any attack you support.
    Rogue - Thief NPCs steal 2GC per level. 25% automatic failure chance for any thievery op against you.
    Mystic - Access to Mage NPC - Destroys % of gold of target equal to Mage Level at 50% success rate. Your target will not be informed of failed attempts.
    Pacifist - Cannot initiate attacks. Your power level gets a +6 bonus for any attack you oppose.
    Scavenger - You gain 5-15GC for each attack on which you are on the winning side.
    Freak - Your power level will differ from your base by -25% to +50% every round.

Additional Side Roles
    Spoiler
    Show

Feuders - You have an ongoing dispute on a piece of land on your borders. Should one of the feuders die, the other will gain ownership of the disputed land (10% bonus to your current gold)
    Lovers - You have known each other since childhood and wish for nothing more than to be with the one you love when this is all over. You win and die together. (Lovers may not donate money to each other for obvious reasons)
    Rebels - You hate the current king and would love nothing more than his death. Should the King die, you gain a 10% bonus to your current gold.
    Loyalists - You have pledged your lives to guarding the King from all outside threats. Should the King survive until the end of the game, you gain a 10% bonus to your ending gold to determine the winner.

Players: 18/27
    Spoiler
    Show

King EvnafetsMurdered Round 5
    King Griever Beheaded Round 11
    King Lord Fullblader, Master of Goblins
    -Duke Murska Flattened Round 8
    -Duke Raldor
    --Noble Vavaara
    --Noble PirateMonk Drowned Round 11
    --Noble Fin Decapitated Round 8
    --Noble Dallas-Dakota
    -Duke Free Hand
    --Noble GAThraawn
    --Noble Ariko
    --Noble Catseye2121
    -Duke Mustiado
    --Noble Zar Peter
    --Noble Saint Nil
    --Noble Emperor Demonking
    -Duke ThePhantom Crushed Round 2
    -Duke Jontom Xire
    --Noble Stu42 Withdrew Round 5
    --Noble detrevnisisiht Terminated Round 7
    --Noble Reinholdt
    --Noble Moff Chumley Killed Round 1
    -Duke Freshmeat_
    --Noble Helgraf
    --Noble someonenonotyou
    --Noble Calamity

Round 1, Stage 1 Begins: Distribution of money by the King
    (To minimise the amount of pms I have to send out, you will receive your personal income at the same time as you receive your portion of gold from higher powers)
    Last edited by Fleeing Coward; 2008-09-30 at 06:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Ultimate Greed IV [Game Thread]

Oh dear. Freshmeat's a Duke.

:P
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Damn Jontom and his twisting logic that make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    Nothing personal JX, I just know how completely devious and brilliant you are at these games when you have the time to devote to them.
    All I'll say is that Jontom is a master at these games ... the blue guy with the spiky teeth can be very persuasive.

Evnafet's GitP WW archive is here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jontom Xire View Post
    Oh dear. Freshmeat's a Duke.

:P
    And you're my noble?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

To second Jontom. Oh dear, Freshmeat ´s a duke.

WE´RE ALL GONNA DIE!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    To second Jontom. Oh dear, Freshmeat ´s a duke.

WE´RE ALL GONNA DIE!
    We could kill him before he do it with us.

KILL! KILL! KILL!

* slaps on own head *

Much better... I think he will be a great duke.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

((If that's the reaction Freshmeat gets for been a Duke, I wonder what would have happened if I made had him king.
    Without really giving anything away, let's just say that the apprentice dice roller I was using gave more than a few interesting matchups in various departments when combined with everyone's personality choices.))
    Last edited by Fleeing Coward; 2008-07-30 at 09:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

(( Always the way of it. I remember a certain Salmon serving under a certain Coward. That was amusing.

*reactivates lurkmobile* ))
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

((Indeed it was... ))

*Forms state news network, GUINEA PIG News, which uncinditionally backs Chumley, and begins to form 'March To War' propaganda documentaris, "just in case".* Expect the first GPN broadcast as soon as the king does something I can lampoon there's something to report on. Cynicsm? Fun!

9. - Top - End - #9

First to arrive at evnafets' coronation ceremony, Duke Phantom hopes the king will show up soon so he can see how well this king will treat his nobles.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

((What kind of title would a noble posses? I'm going to go with 'Baron', because it sounds cool and I'm to lazy to do the research.))

Baron Chumley follows his duke into the throne room (I'm assuming that's where the coronation is taking place) and begins eating, for lack of anything better to do.

11. - Top - End - #11

Where is the king? He's not starting his reign well if he is late to his own coronation. I can't give my nobles anything until the king shows up.

12. - Top - End - #12

PaladinGuy

Do not be afwaid good peopools. Yaw King is heah.
    The gods have smiyuled upon my cowonation, and bwessed this wand with pwenty. I see it as the vewy best of omens foah my weign.
    I pwomise to do my best by awwl of you woyaw subjects.

Now who is this upstart who is talking in the woyaw color? Puwple is the color weserved faw woyalty. I would wequest that you wefwain fwom using it.

(translation in spoiler)
    Spoiler
    Show

Do not be afraid good peoples. Your King is here.
    The gods have smiled upon my coronation and blessed this land with plenty. I see it as the very best of omens for my reign.
    I promise to do my best by all of you loyal subjects

Now who is this upstart who is talking in the royal color? Purple is the color reserverd for royalty. I would request that you refrain from using it.
    Last edited by evnafets; 2008-07-30 at 09:15 PM.
    Check out past werewolf games at the Unofficial GiantITP werewolf archive
    Also wasting too much time playing Evony right now.
    I don't wanna be a llama or a duck or a wabbit.
    I wanna be a POODLE!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

When Baron Chumley hears the Kings speech, he sighs inwardly and slips another noble's minor functionary two year's worth of pay, which of course is chump change to a noble, and tells him to shout Very nice, now where's our money. Chumley then turns and looks at the man in disgust, and has his guards remove him from his presence.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Baron Reinholdt arrives just in time for the coronation. Bowing before the king, he offers up gifts of Frankincense and Myrrh.

"For the king in honor of a new legacy. May it prosper."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

15. - Top - End - #15

Brother Bluebeard, Ambassador from the Sea of Monasteries to the rest of the kingdom, cheers at the king's brief speech. "The Abbott Captains will gladly serve under you, Majesty. Also, I brought some grog for the festivities, where should I put it?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

The king looks a little put out at the churlish shouting for money coming from the court.

There wiw be no gowd untiw I have opened my pwesents.
    Did evewyone wemember to bwing me a cowonation pwesent?

Ahh - thank you Bawon Weinholdt yoah gift is pwincewy indeed. I shall wemember you.

Gwog Bwother BwueBeard? Poah a wittle into my gobwet if you pwease, and then have the west distwibuted amongst youahsouves. I want evewy one to dwink gwog wiv me.

As I said, this wand has been bwessed with pwenty this past yeah. I have spoken to my advisah of the tweasuwy and the messengews aah awweady on theah way. But you know what beuwacwacy is wike. Theah may be a smawl deway befoah you gets yoah gowd.

Spoiler
    Show

There will be no gold until I have opened my presents.
    Did everyone remember to bring me a coronation present?

Ahh thank you Baron Reinholdt, your gift is princely indeed. I shall remember you.
    Grog Brother Bluebeard? Pour a little into my goblet if you please, and then have the rest distributed amongst yourselves. I want everyone to drink grog with me.

As I said this land has been blessed with plenty this past year. I have spoken to my advisor of the treasury and the messengers are already on their way. But you know what beuracracy is like. There may be a small delay before you get your gold)

((I have PMed the Duke distributions to FleeingCoward. I presume he will forward them on to you, along with your individual earnings))
    Last edited by evnafets; 2008-07-30 at 09:34 PM.
    Check out past werewolf games at the Unofficial GiantITP werewolf archive
    Also wasting too much time playing Evony right now.
    I don't wanna be a llama or a duck or a wabbit.
    I wanna be a POODLE!

17. - Top - End - #17

"Fine, if the king wishes me not to speak in purple, I won't. Duke Phantom slips some grog, and makes a face. For my gift to the king, an opera written in his honor. Duke Phantom puts the opera score with the rest of the gifts.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seemingly the generic everynoble, Detrevni walks into the hall, and places among the gifts a sealed letter, with the words "Gnik eht rof" written on them. he then proceeds to leave through a window, walk across the moat, swim across the drawbridge and ride a horse backwards to his castle.

19. - Top - End - #19

Round 1, Stage 2 Begins: Distribution of money by the Dukes

In answer to a couple of questions asked by players:
    The term attacks in the personality section refer to all attacks - both "attacks" and rebellions.
    Thieves have a 75% chance of successfully stealing from any player.
    Enforcers gain an additional 35% chance of catching thieves (This roll is independent of the first roll and the Rogue's ability). This is increased/decreased by 5% for each level difference between a thief and enforcer.
    Failed thievery op will result in a 50% chance of your intended victim discovering your name.
    Successful thievery ops will have a 20% chance of your victim discovering your name.
    Failed Mystic ops are undetectable
    Successful Mystic ops have a 15% chance of your victim getting your name (30% if you're attacking another Mystic)
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

That was bizzare. And I have to govern that weirdo.

21. - Top - End - #21

Brother Bluebeard gives grog to everyone, and leaves the remainder on a nearby table.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Duke Murska has been quietly listening to the others for a while. He then steps up, and offers a beautifully adorned sword as his present to the new king. "I would be honored if the king would remember the fact that since I have more nobles to govern than the other dukes, I need a proportionally larger amount of gold to distribute." He then retreats back, and when appropriate, returns to his castle.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

23. - Top - End - #23

"I do say, what's all this talk about Duke Freshmeat_? He's never seemed particularly bloodthirsty to me..."
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

24. - Top - End - #24

So Baron Helgraf, what do you make of Duke Murska? Such a man with a large number of nobles under him, might not agree with your statement about your liege lord?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    So Baron Helgraf, what do you make of Duke Murska? Such a man with a large number of nobles under him, might not agree with your statement about your liege lord?
    I am a peaceful man. If he doesn't threaten me, I will not take action against him. On the other hand, if he does...
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Ah, Duke Murska. I thought you had left. So, how does it feel to be the second most powerful man in the kingdom? With so many people under your rule, your'e right below the king in power.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Ah, Duke Murska. I thought you had left. So, how does it feel to be the second most powerful man in the kingdom? With so many people under your rule, your'e right below the king in power.
    Ah, power. It brings with itself a great responsibility. If I were to treat my nobles unfairly, they would most certainly be able to... threaten my position of power. But if I keep true and loyal to those who are on my side, it will be difficult for anyone else to interfere. Of course, this logically results in the fact that it is better to be on my side than against me. After saying this, Murska smiles. Of course, nobody here would have to resort to such crude measures, since we now have a good, wise and benevolent king!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

"If the good Duke of Meat wishes to remain Fresh, then he would do well to quench any potential ruthlessness in his heart."

The whirring voice of the Fallen, the humbled Noble Fullbladder, comes from a wheelchair near the table. He is a spectre of his former self, a mere CPU with limbs crudely attached by apprentice blacksmiths. Rumour states that his mind has grown soft from constant revival. Observation states that his body has as well.

A wayward spark arcs across his knuckles as he raises a cup filled with heavy crude oil.

"To the young monarch, then. May his rule be long and his fink-ness subtle."
    Last edited by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins; 2008-07-30 at 11:27 PM.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

29. - Top - End - #29

To the king. Duke Phantom raises his glass, drinks and make a face again. Yuck, grog. I hate the stuff.

30. - Top - End - #30

I fail to see the relevance of what Duke Murska thinks of my opinions on my liege lord Duke Freshmeat_. If I did not know thy noble mein better, Duke Phantom, I might almost think thou'rt trying to stir up trouble.
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.