New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1478

Thread: Goblins

1. - Top - End - #1381
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    He's a dwarf. Dwarves aren't slowed down by armour.
    This is what I meant:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Kore's "uberpowered" equipment just makes me snicker. It's kewl-looking, but is all utterly impractical, and it's totally implausible that it would be as effective as Thunt illustrates it being.

Consider: With that helmet on, Kore's field of vision is limited to - to be generous - maybe a 60° wedge to his front left. He's going to be completely blind in the other 300° of the circle. The helm will interfere with his other senses similarly. The shield just makes matters vastly worse. If he turns his head, he can look past it to one side or the other, but is now almost totally blind to the front - his forward arc of vision has been narrowed to the tiny amount he can see through the hole in the shield, and that only if it's aligned with the slightly less tiny amount he can see through the hole in his helm.

And the shield is static - he can't effectively move it to block blows. Anyone even halfway competent with a weapon isn't going to be hampered much by attacking him around a static shield. It interferes more with his own attacks than it would with an attacker's - he can't bring his arms across in front of his body, which cuts off a tremendous number of combat options. It destroys his mobility, too... the little wheels appear to be set up to only allow stationary pivoting, and even that's only going to work on a smooth floor.

I'm not even going to touch the technical issues involved in making the stuff - the shield-harness and the crossbows in particular - work at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Halfling in the Playground

There was a good article on a Dragon Magazine issue (I do not remember which one) about dwarves in war. They use the best equipment, and a 1st level dwarf fighter with a good equipment is capable of killing normal orcs and goblins with one hit. Also, the right armor may grant him an armor class so high than a normal orc or goblin will need a natural 20 to hit him.

So, Kore may be "low" level (about 6-7) and defeat entire goblin armies by himself.

Do not forget that we saw the first level goblins resist to an entire tribe of orcs for some rounds.
    And they had not good equipment (a +1 sword, but not armours).

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Bugbear in the Playground

If Kore'd kicked open the door and come charging in in his adamantine full plate with heavy shield strapped to one arm and his dwarven waraxe in his other hand, and just killed his way through the room because he's that good and the monsters suck that much, that would've been fine. The problem is that the way his... unique equipment is presented, it's clearly supposed to have been a major contributing factor to his victory. And it's just laughable.

And the problem with the, "Well, it's D&D," excuse is that the D&D game in question appears to run entirely on DM fiat and Rule of Cool. And one man's "cool" is another man's "ridiculous contrivance".

I know Thunt's said that he actually comes up with rules for his ridiculous contrivances, but, well, if a player in one of my games approached me with diagrams of Kore's equipment and asked to use it, the rules I'd come up with, based on personal experience as to what it's like fighting with a big shield and a low-visibility helm, would involve a hefty penalty to Spot, a smaller penalty to Listen, and, with the shield deployed, a smaller bonus to AC and larger penalty to-hit than a regular tower shield (probably +2/-4 in melee, and +4/-4 ranged), and treat all terrain as difficult terrain, and actual difficult terrain simply becomes impassible. Possibly also deny Dex when the shield's deployed. On the bright side, you get to have both hands free.

These are... not the rules Thunt was using.
    Last edited by John Campbell; 2009-07-09 at 10:25 AM.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

4. - Top - End - #1384

Yes John, as a DM i will not allow a similar equipment to be effective, but in the webcomics the rule of cool is the only rule.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FeAnPi View Post
    Yes John, as a DM i will not allow a similar equipment to be effective, but in the webcomics the rule of cool is the only rule.
    Let me quote a part of John Campbell's post with which I agree throughly:

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell
    And one man's "cool" is another man's "ridiculous contrivance".
    "Rule of Cool" isn't an excuse to handwave any implausible, nonsencial contrivance. Kore's equipment shouldn't work, period. D&D stretches belivability, but at some point, belivability can't be stretched anymore and simply snaps.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-07-09 at 02:42 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm not sure what the huge problem with Kore's shield is. In terms of defense we only ever see him use it as a bulwark to protect around ranged attacks, basically giving him a mobile something-that-covers-his-whole-body-allowing-him-to-fire-from-cover. In fact, we do see it hamper him somewhat when he can't quite react properly to the guys flanking him (he isn't able to turn and face them properly), and when we see the ogre attack him in melee the shield doesn't seem to do anything at all to help. It's somewhat problematic, and probably impractical, but it isn't the huge deal people are making it out to be, and it's portrayed in a fairly realistic manner as far as its capabilities.

Also, keep in mind that this was showcased at the same time that Fumbles took 1/11th of each character class to make a, "Totally legitimate first level character," and that a lot of the panels didn't have anything in them besides the people (no floors, walls, or background except for a flat color.) It's a different comic now.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

7. - Top - End - #1387

M0rt, I agree when we say that not all the "D&D-like" cool stuff is really cool, but rather laughable.
    For example, I always laugh when someone speaks of the Book of Exalted Deeds, because according to that sourcebook in D&D all the franciscan friars must be 6th level at least (if human), needing 4 feaths in order to represent their vows. Now, seriously, imagine a 6th level novice.
    But there is people that find the BoED cool.
    And this is ok, till we play different games with different rules.
    If

Goblins is a webcomic that exaggerates many things. Kore's equipment is one of them.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Give me a good roleplaying reason why you can't make the vows as a 1st level novice, but only receive the benefits as you progress through the ranks and take those actual feats.

9. - Top - End - #1389

You don't need the BOED feats to take vows, you just need them to get some sweet (or not so sweet) bonuses. I don't think Franciscan friars got an armor bonus from their vows of poverty. By the rules, you represent a vow of poverty by not writing anything in your, "Equipment," list.

10. - Top - End - #1390

Heh heh... shout out much, Thunt?

So yeah, New Comic is up!
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

11. - Top - End - #1391

"Your existence demonstrates a flesh to futility ratio that is mathematically staggering."

Heh.

12. - Top - End - #1392

Please, let's not start a debate about that. The thing that I wanted to explain is just that D&D is what it is: the game has some questionables rules, and Goblins exaggerates them.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ogre in the Playground

It appears Pan is considering a simpler approach to the problem...
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Webox View Post
    Heh heh... shout out much, Thunt?

So yeah, New Comic is up!
    Ooh, thanks for the link. I'm still laughing.

I <3 Pan.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ogre in the Playground

So there you go. All of you who said nobody would ever talk like Kin does are right, nobody does.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    The problem is that the way his... unique equipment is presented, it's clearly supposed to have been a major contributing factor to his victory. And it's just laughable.
    Except for the fact that that's just not true. Kore's equipment made some interesting visuals, but there's no reason to assume that his prowess is just about his equipment.

He's got a tower shield, check. You can give it a slight adjustment that it can stand in place while he's using two weapons - far less 'out there' than many other special and/or magic items, such as the Axe of Prissan or the Shield of Wonder. His helmet probably has one eyehole cause he's probably got one eye.

He uses two weapons - okay, he's got the TWF feat, and is high enough level to hit what he aims at despite the penalty. Nothing absurd about that.

Really, to use what I regard as rather distasteful language, people are mistaking visual "fluff" for crunch.
    Last edited by JonestheSpy; 2009-07-10 at 02:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Pixie in the Playground

So there it is. I tweaked the text in panel #6 as a nod to you guys.

Thanks to those of you who've helped me be better at what I do by offering constructive criticism.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FeAnPi View Post
    Please, let's not start a debate about that. The thing that I wanted to explain is just that D&D is what it is: the game has some questionables rules, and Goblins exaggerates them.
    This conversation.

There was another one about roleplaying exp, but i don't remember where.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

"wordgasming snake with boobs"... eheheh

Well, the Hobgoblin is intelligent and sees the danger in internal conflict, but i think that will be Pan to resolve the situation. Sometimes, brute force is the best solution
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    This conversation.

There was another one about roleplaying exp, but i don't remember where.
    I think it's this.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ettin in the Playground

If the Kobold's text was changed, what did he initially say?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

Kin's last line is made of pure win and awesome.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Kin's last line is made of pure win and awesome.
    It's cool enough to steal it, which is exactly what I'll do.

24. - Top - End - #1404

On Kore: I see him like Goblin Slayer and Min Max... an extreme for comic effect, and *not* without weaknesses.

He has gotten by because his foes are so bad not because he is so good, this is a "low level" world.

In the end he may be defeated due to the weaknesses created by such extreme armor.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stillthunt View Post
    So there it is. I tweaked the text in panel #6 as a nod to you guys.

Thanks to those of you who've helped me be better at what I do by offering constructive criticism.
    Thanks, Tarol! That was awesome!
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    On Kore: I see him like Goblin Slayer and Min Max... an extreme for comic effect, and *not* without weaknesses.

He has gotten by because his foes are so bad not because he is so good, this is a "low level" world.

In the end he may be defeated due to the weaknesses created by such extreme armor.
    That and I'm sure one good ranged touch attack spell would take him down easily enough.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ettin in the Playground

Ray of Enfeeblement would definitly cause him issues if you could hit acouple of them.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    Ray of Enfeeblement would definitly cause him issues if you could hit acouple of them.
    Except for the whole bit about how RoE doesn't stack...

29. - Top - End - #1409

Or, simply, a swamp.

Or the old, beloved, hidden pit with greased walls.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn;t realise that RoE didn't stack with itself. That would make taking Kore out a lot harder unless you could maximize RoE and use Ray of Exhaustion.
    Spoiler
    Show