New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default What jurisdiction do we use to determine legality?

Pretty much what the title says. The rules say several things about illegal content, but don't mention any particular country. I assume this means American laws are used, but I wanted to be sure.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: What jurisdiction do we use to determine legality?

Generally speaking about the internet, the law is wherever the server is hosted and/or the domain is registered, which is somewhere in America in both cases.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but state or federal?

Anyway, I intend to hew to international treaty law, in as far as it applies to this forum. If anyone tries to stop me, then well, I'm calling for a NATO/UN taskforce to help me out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Both, I just don't know which state it's located in. I could find out, but it'd take actual effort of some kind.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm not sure what you'd be considering posting that would potentially breech any country's laws, but I think it's safe to say that if it would be illegal in any country, Rich probably doesn't want to have it here.

In general, the rules are intended to reference copyright law and, not being a copyright lawyer either at the federal or international level, I'd wager that there's little enough difference that it's reasonably clear what material is copyrighted and what is not.

If you think it might be illegal to post it, you probably shouldn't. If it's necessary for some reason and you think it might be okay, ask for the specific thing you're interested in and get a specific answer regarding that material.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Specifically:

People posting from countries without copyright law have still been scrubbed for offering items outside of copyright;
    The board's inappropriate filter is nothing but American, ignoring British English euphemisms and banning the Seven Words You Can't Say on Television;
    Topics that would have been suppressed or forbidden in other jurisdictions (i.e. firearms) have been posted about freely.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    Yeah, but state or federal?

Anyway, I intend to hew to international treaty law, in as far as it applies to this forum. If anyone tries to stop me, then well, I'm calling for a NATO/UN taskforce to help me out.
    Order of operations for laws on the internet in regards to internet connections where either the site is hosted on a server in the US or the person viewing the site is located in the US are as follows:

Federal Law (interstate commerce being the justification) >>> State Law (debatable how far this applies, no real clear precedent) >>> Local Law (again debatable)

International treaties fall under federal law.

But if you plan on calling in anyone to dispute the US federal laws, well you need to remember the cardinal law of international law: International Law is really more of a series of guidelines who's meaning and application id decided by the nation or nations with the most guns.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    I'm not sure what you'd be considering posting that would potentially breech any country's laws, but I think it's safe to say that if it would be illegal in any country, Rich probably doesn't want to have it here.
    That would make pretty much everything against the rules. There are a lot of countries, and not all of them have reasonable legal systems. (In some places being raped can get you put in jail.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    In general, the rules are intended to reference copyright law and, not being a copyright lawyer either at the federal or international level, I'd wager that there's little enough difference that it's reasonably clear what material is copyrighted and what is not.

If you think it might be illegal to post it, you probably shouldn't. If it's necessary for some reason and you think it might be okay, ask for the specific thing you're interested in and get a specific answer regarding that material.
    I live in Canada, and while we do have decent copyright laws there are some differences between them and the American laws. One key difference is that while distributing (ie uploading) copyrighted material is illegal, downloading or otherwise receiving it is perfectly fine. It is also acceptable to point out places where it can be found. This means it would be legal to post a link to book downloads, so long as I had not uploaded them. This is also how copyright works in most of Europe (and most other places that aren't America), which is why I wasn't sure. It seems pretty obvious that we're using US law here, though, so I won't do anything like that.

Also, we Canadians are legally allowed to watch imported DVDs and to watch DVDs on Linux.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nc-edsl View Post
    That would make pretty much everything against the rules. There are a lot of countries, and not all of them have reasonable legal systems. (In some places being raped can get you put in jail.)

I live in Canada, and while we do have decent copyright laws there are some differences between them and the American laws. One key difference is that while distributing (ie uploading) copyrighted material is illegal, downloading or otherwise receiving it is perfectly fine. It is also acceptable to point out places where it can be found. This means it would be legal to post a link to book downloads, so long as I had not uploaded them. This is also how copyright works in most of Europe (and most other places that aren't America), which is why I wasn't sure. It seems pretty obvious that we're using US law here, though, so I won't do anything like that.

Also, we Canadians are legally allowed to watch imported DVDs and to watch DVDs on Linux.
    One thing that's very nice about the GITP forums is that "rules lawyering" to get around the posting restrictions is specifically not allowed. Pointing out where you can get illegal materials supports illegal actions, and whether you, I, or Rich could be legally held responsible is beside the point.

Jurisdiction is irrelevent unless the posting itself is an illegal action that is something likely to trigger a real legal response, then it will depend.

And like everything else, the moderators here will make a judgment call on any potential conflicts. I'd say that a reasonable definition of "illegal" for them is probably an amalgamation of western law and common sense. So posting a non-political joke about a 3rd-world dictator, even though that could draw the death penalty while living there, would probably not be considered a breach of GITP rules.

And to use an example from above, talking about guns and shooting is very unlikely to be illegal in any western nation. However, some specific topics like describing how to convert a semi-automatic to full auto, or the proper way to lead a target while sniping, likely is in enough places to put it off limits.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    One thing that's very nice about the GITP forums is that "rules lawyering" to get around the posting restrictions is specifically not allowed. Pointing out where you can get illegal materials supports illegal actions, and whether you, I, or Rich could be legally held responsible is beside the point.
    The point wasn't that there was an obscure loophole in Canadian law, but rather that in most first world countries (other than the USA), it's not illegal: they wouldn't be illegal materials and downloading them wouldn't be an illegal action. It's not "rules lawyering" so much as the fact that different countries have different laws. "Follow American law" is very different from "Follow <any other country's> law"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I really think this has more to do with copyright and big stuff. Robbing Banks, Killing people, and making unlicensed explosives are illegal in plenty of places, so it would be safe to assume that detailing any of these isn't well received.

The server is located in Houston, Texas by the looks of it, for those of you who were wondering, which means we can't use this site to sell Limburger on Sunday.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The point wasn't that there was an obscure loophole in Canadian law, but rather that in most first world countries (other than the USA), it's not illegal: they wouldn't be illegal materials and downloading them wouldn't be an illegal action. It's not "rules lawyering" so much as the fact that different countries have different laws. "Follow American law" is very different from "Follow <any other country's> law"
    You just said in your earlier post that the materials in question are illegal in your jurisdiction, but that being the person downloading them isn't.

And last I heard, every first-world nation is part of the Berne Convention, so while the nature of the penalties for copyright violations are very different country to country, the fact that they are violations isn't.

It's very simple: if somebody doesn't have permission of the original copyright owner to post or publish something, it's illegal. The materials on that server/fileshare somewhere are there illegally. Posting a link to illegal materials breaks the rules here.

Edit: correcting misattribution
    Last edited by Jimorian; 2008-11-03 at 09:03 AM.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Well how about just DON'T DO IT, since you should already know it's going to tick off the mods, and Mr. Burlew himself.

It's not that difficult to just have some basic respect and decency for people's intellectual property. Is there a reason you want to post these things? Or are you just being "edgy"?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    You just said in your earlier post that the materials in question are illegal in your jurisdiction, but that being the person downloading them isn't.

And last I heard, every first-world nation is part of the Berne Convention, so while the nature of the penalties for copyright violations are very different country to country, the fact that they are violations isn't.

It's very simple: if somebody doesn't have permission of the original copyright owner to post or publish something, it's illegal. The materials on that server/fileshare somewhere are there illegally. Posting a link to illegal materials breaks the rules here.
    This is what I meant in my post. I thought it would be obvious that I wasn't talking about all laws everywhere, just those that specifically applied to this situation, about posting material or access to material when it might be questionable in its legality to do so.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    Well how about just DON'T DO IT, since you should already know it's going to tick off the mods, and Mr. Burlew himself.
    In that case, there's no point in the clause,

It's not that difficult to just have some basic respect and decency for people's intellectual property. Is there a reason you want to post these things? Or are you just being "edgy"?
    Ooh, burn.

What about the formula for AIDS retroviral drugs, hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    International Law is really more of a series of guidelines who's meaning and application id decided by the nation or nations with the most guns.
    Some would argue that's no different from other laws. Customary and ius cogens do have, at least in theory, compelling legal status for UN member states under Article 93 of the Charter of the ICJ. Just because they're run roughshod over doesn't make them any less legal.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    The server is located in Houston, Texas by the looks of it, for those of you who were wondering, which means we can't use this site to sell Limburger on Sunday.
    Dude, we can't use the site to sell anything, remember?

Especially shoes!

As to the OP, no, you can't post that stuff, cool?
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    Dude, we can't use the site to sell anything, remember?

Especially shoes!
    Yeah, but it's specifically illegal to sell limburger on sunday, while it's just against policy to sell stuff.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Founder of the Oracle fanclub. To join put this into your sig and give yourself a title.

Court sorcerer of House Kato.

Tuna-preparer of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. I didn't.

Magioth made my avatar!

The SECOND member of the fanclub!!!

Sequinox

And the Dark Lord on his Dark Throneitp, where the shadows lie.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nc-edsl, earlier in this thread
    It seems pretty obvious that we're using US law here, though, so I won't do anything like that.
    Reading comprehension: because all the cool kids are doing it.

That was just an example of a not so obvious difference between the legal systems, not something I was actually planning on doing. For the most part I just wanted to make sure that nothing unexpected would come up. (eg "My Gnome buys some tasty ale." "Promoting alcohol is illegal in <country>. Banhammer'd!")

As for 'intellectual property', I respect the idea in principle, but think it's gone a bit overboard in corporation's favor in some places. (eg >100 years copyright, illegal to watch legally purchased media under Linux, life-ruining fines for downloading one .mp3)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Crap. I live in Houston, and I didn't know this. What will happen to my weekly cheese auction?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Crap. I live in Houston, and I didn't know this. What will happen to my weekly cheese auction?
    you'll start selling good cheese

22. - Top - End - #22

you'll start selling good cheese
    Is it specifically Limburger that's banned, or is it all dairy on Sundays? Or is it spoiled dairy in general? Or even "the public sale of a noxious or otherwise offensive material"?

All of those'd cover Limburger on Sundays. I expect the board to give me line, paragraph, and code before it restricts my right to sell cheese in the context of discussing sword & spell slinging supermen. Selling the cheese for its own sake, however is still against board policy.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Checks out site...

Oh noes, I was planning on selling my eye here, arrrgghhh...
    Avy by Ink.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

It is worth noting this on a forum. For example the Stardestroyer.Net forums are in Canada, which obviously changes things

I think the rules should note country of origin and ect.
    Tall Dark Strangers In Hooded Cloaks should be assumed to be Epic until proven Low Level.

Maybe there is an artifact: Cloak of Mighty Power

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theMycon View Post
    Is it specifically Limburger that's banned, or is it all dairy on Sundays? Or is it spoiled dairy in general? Or even "the public sale of a noxious or otherwise offensive material"?

All of those'd cover Limburger on Sundays. I expect the board to give me line, paragraph, and code before it restricts my right to sell cheese in the context of discussing sword & spell slinging supermen. Selling the cheese for its own sake, however is still against board policy.
    It's specifically Limburger.

26. - Top - End - #26

Just double-checked on the searchable Houston, Texas Municipal code

No mentions of Limburger in the entire thing (Or Limberger, or any other reasonable typos). The only time something is specifically only sunday (or holidays) are "dates all state offices are closed", though the search function reveals at least 26 articles mentioning Sunday.

Cheese gets you a goldmine, mostly in the food section.

Randomly clicking one reveals at least one of my guesses was right: You cannot sell dairy that has been out of the fridge for more than ten days, Sunday or not, unless you get a permit. This implicitly removes Limburger, Gouda, and a number of other cheeses. (A pity, though... I'm a big fan of a Dutch Fontina, and requiring a permit might make it prohibitively expensive.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I was just following dumblaws.com...it may have been taken off the books.

28. - Top - End - #28

Ah...

In general, they find a reasonable (at the time) law and then find a very specific application of it, such that everyone asks "why would they bother to make a law about that?"

Traditional examples are "potentially dangerous pets must be attended to by their owners whenever they are out of the house" becoming "It is unlawful to tie a pet alligator to a parking meter."
    Or "a person must wear clothes appropriate to their gender in state-owned buildings" becomes "It is unlawful for a woman to wear pants", because one was ticketed back in the 1800's for doing it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Given the tightness of our CoC I cannot imagine what might be within that but illegal in some nations, save for those nations that have very tight laws on information.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Given the tightness of our CoC I cannot imagine what might be within that but illegal in some nations, save for those nations that have very tight laws on information.
    You don't know Texas laws. I love my state, but our books are a bit crazy.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.