New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Shippingitp IV: Flattery Will Get You EVERYWHERE

TwoBitWriter, Dragonrider, and Cristo Meyers
    Mention of Castaras and CurlyKitGirl.

Daddy Tooby

Spoiler
    Show
    At first he hadn’t wanted to keep any of the girls, had been delighted to let her have them. They were just tiny, the triplets who never should have been born. A mistake from the start. He hadn’t wanted children; he hadn’t wanted the responsibility that came with raising them, or the thanklessness of their teenage years, however great the rewards might somehow be.

The trouble was, she didn’t want them either.

One, she said, she could have handled. Two, even, maybe. But three? Three newborns, squalling in the night, three sets of diapers to be changed, three naps (no doubt at different hours of the day), three babies with emotional and physical needs?

So they reached a compromise.

The courts certainly didn’t like it, and neither did Tooby, but if it was the only way the divorce would settle, then dammit, he would take her.

Cassie and Curly went to their mother.

Tooby took DR.

He was hopeless at buying baby supplies. He went to the store and asked the nearest employee what to buy for a tiny baby. His ideas were all wrong, she said, and she sent him home with a car seat and an assortment of onesies that looked impossibly tiny. The formula was expensive and the price of diapers seemed extortionate, but he was stuck with a baby girl and the social workers would be calling. They would want to know that he was prepared.

Tooby took a certain pleasure in preparing her room. He had always liked setting things in order. It was only a walk-in closet off his room, the hangers removed from their bars and the bare light bulb covered with a diffusing shade. The walls were hospital green and between the changing table and the crib, there was little room to maneuver—but, he thought as he eyed the stack of tiny pink shirts, a baby wouldn’t need much room.

He picked her up from the hospital on a Monday. She was so small she could fit in the palm of his hands—they said she was the middle-sized triplet, but she felt lighter than a feather, even swaddled as she was in blankets. She was like a little blob. Even her face seemed oddly squashed.

Cristo, Tooby’s friend, had come with him for moral support. Cristo didn’t have any children, either, but he carried the car seat and the diaper bag while Tooby awkwardly held DR in the crook of his arm. Her eyes were squeezed tightly shut against the sun and her head seemed dangerously floppy, even supported by his elbow.

“I can’t believe I agreed to this,” he said to Cristo.

“Hey, man. She’d have sued your butt if you hadn’t agreed. Besides, it’s either that or adoption for the poor kid.”

It had been discussed. She was adamantly against it.

Tooby watched as Cristo firmly buckled the car seat backwards into the back of the car. Awkwardly, Tooby leaned in and slid DR into her seat. He pulled the harness over her head and clicked it in.

“Not a peep so far,” said Cristo, climbing into the front seat.

Tooby slammed the door. “Yeah.” He wouldn’t have admitted it to his brother, but there was a strange flutter in his chest as he looked down at his daughter—a feeling of possessiveness. She was HIS. She was wholly and completely dependant on him—she could do nothing for herself. Cristo was right when he said “poor kid”.

He started the car.

DR screamed all the way home.

:Cristo twisted around and tried to cajole her while Tooby drove. Her little eyes, already darkening from blue to brown, only screwed up further in fury. Tooby parked outside his apartment and yanked the brake up. Cursing, he got out of the car and unbuckled the baby. He had the vague idea that he was supposed to take the whole car seat inside, but what with the way she was screaming he had a feeling that wouldn’t help.

She broke off mid-wail as he picked her up and cradled her too his chest. Tooby looked down at her. The tiny newborn face was still ugly, but her eyes were wide open now, little lashes flickering as she blinked.

“She has no eyebrows,” he observed. “Is that a problem? Aren’t babies supposed to have eyebrows?”

Cristo rolled his eyes. “She just screamed for ten minutes and you’re worried about her EYEBROWS?”

“Well—if the social worker comes and there’s something wrong with her—” he broke off as DR made a soft cooing sound. Her eyes were still open and her cap had slipped to one side, showing wispy dark curls that reminded him painfully of her mother’s.

“Don’t look so smitten,” said Cristo.

“I’m not,” said Tooby.

“You’ve got a disgustingly sappy look on your face.”

Tooby looked down at his daughter. Once again, the protective feeling rose in him and he held her a little tighter.

“She’s only a baby. She can’t know all that’s going around her. All the crap with her mother—I mean, she’s caught between us and she doesn’t even know it yet. If she were any older she’d be insecure as hell. I’m going to make damn sure she never has a need to feel that way again.”

Determination rose in his heart as he strode up the stairs to his apartment. He might not have wanted DR, but she was his now. They were in this for the long haul.
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 2009-01-02 at 07:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    *passes a ticket to Fallsvile*

Careful, it's one way.
    I intend to prove that wrong.

DR-Awwwwwwwwww.Thats adorable.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

@ DR- Awww... that was real sweet.

Almost made me reconsider never having kids.
    *ponders*
    Naaaahhh....

Excellent story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm thinking of leaping full tilt into a prequel of IStLY. What say the people?
    Until then, a long (about thirty six hours) promised/threatened:

TwoBit/Cristo [with cameos from mystery guests]:

Film At Eleven
    Spoiler
    Show

TwoBit struggled futilely against the inexorable tide dragging him towards the film rental shop. "Come on Daddy Tooby! It's Film Night and you pwomised." squealed his (ridiculously cute) daughter Drider as she hauled him bodily into the shop. "Yeah Daddy Tooby, it Friiiiiiday and you know what that means." sang his other daughter, Curly as she let go of his hand and pulled her twin off to their favourite corner of the shop; leaving Daddy Tooby to wander the aisles resigning himself to childish terrors.
    Oh, by his sanity! BARBIE!
    Retreating frantically from the torture his wrathful and intelligent daughters had put him through a month ago (they hadn't even seen the films! It was purely to torment him, he knew it . . . just because he took away their books) by seeking refuge in the sci - fi section.
    Oh, for the days (soon, very soon with any luck) when his daughters would revel in their inherent geekery and choose films and TV shows he actually liked. "Ah, Highlander. I see you have good taste sir."
    "Only the original film, best plot, best soundtrack; there have never been any sequels, TV series, cartoons or anything other than the film."
    "And you're a true connoisseur too." Turning back from his perusal of his treasured films he eyed the chatty man, "What kind of person would I be if I acknowledge there were sequels?"
    "May I ask you a question?"
    "Sure."
    "You ever heard of Tremors?"
    "Naturally. I've got all of them, and in fact, you are looking at someone who can quote it practically word for word." he said proudly.
    "Well then my geeky friend, might I ask what you're doing here? You seem to have the best films all memorised?"
    "Kids Film Night."
    "Ooh dear. Do they at least have good taste?"
    "They do. But they're psychological terrors; made me watch Barbie a month ago. Three films. One after the other. They didn't even watch the bleedin' things. It was payback. Must be their mothers' genes."
    "Oh? And is she a pretty lady?"
    "She was. There was an accident . . . "
    "I'm sorry."
    "Look . . . "
    "Cristo, Cristo Meyers."
    "Mr. Meyers."
    "Cris, call me Cris."
    "Cris, it was a long time ago; the girls can hardly remember her and we were going through a rocky patch. The girls are only eight, but they've already tried to set me up with their sixth grade teachers."
    "Sixth grade?!"
    "They're smart and there's reason to hold them back."
    "Wow, you really love your girls don't you?"
    "They're my world. I even put up with hideously pink girly films until they grow up and see sense."
    "Waiting for them to discover the wonders that is sci -fi and fantasy?"
    "I certainly hope so."

Peering at the two men from behind a stack of horror films lurked the errant twins in question."Told you so, that guy who works here likes our Daddy."
    "You were right, DeeRee. Can we not pick something ridiculous this week? I want to watch some Buffy. You know I like the horror and the blood and Spike. Very funny guy."
    "You and your British obsession. I like Angel myself."
    "He's an Irish nutter with split personailty disorder! At least the psychopath I like enjoys his work."
    "If we pick Season Two we can get the whole thing." Drider said happily.
    "Deal. Plus it'll annoy Daddy Tooby. Oooh, Daddy Tooby got the other guys' phone number."
    "This calls for a celebration for the best matchmakers in the town."
    "Yep."

"Daddy Tooby! We've chosen our show." called his two tearaway lunatics of children. And it was at such an inopportune time, he and Cris were just discussing the true advantages of even vs. odd Star Trek films.
    Naturally even was best.
    Grabbing the DVDs out of one of the hands that span round him like a roundabout he marched his way up to the counter where Cris (surprising the heck out of him) took his order; he muttered a last minute, "Call me when the kids're asleep at eleven. We'll talk then." before his conspiring daughters whirled him out of the shop faster than they pushed him in.
    "Cute kids, glad they got me to talk to him. He's cute too." murmered Cris with a jaunty smile on his face.

Well, was that fluff cute or not?

@DeeRee:
    YOU HORRIBLE GIRL! I'VE BEEN WRITING THIS FOR TWO HOURS WHILE WATCHING M'SHOWS AND YOU DO SOMETHING SIMILAR!
    ANNOYING ALMOST - TRIPLET!
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-01-02 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Fussy Formatting

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Until then, a long (about thirty six hours) promised/threatened:

TwoBit/Cristo [with cameos from mystery guests]:

Film At Eleven
    Spoiler
    Show

TwoBit struggled futilely against the inexorable tide dragging him towards the film rental shop. "Come on Daddy Tooby! It's Film Night and you pwomised." squealed his (ridiculously cute) daughter Drider as she hauled him bodily into the shop. "Yeah Daddy Tooby, it Friiiiiiday and you know what that means." sang his other daughter, Curly as she let go of his hand and pulled her twin off to their favourite corner of the shop; leaving Daddy Tooby to wander the aisles resigning himself to childish terrors.
    Oh, by his sanity! BARBIE!
    Retreating frantically from the torture his wrathful and intelligent daughters had put him through a month ago (they hadn't even seen the films! It was purely to torment him, he knew it . . . just because he took away their books) by seeking refuge in the sci - fi section.
    Oh, for the days (soon, very soon with any luck) when his daughters would revel in their inherent geekery and choose films and TV shows he actually liked. "Ah, Highlander. I see you have good taste sir."
    "Only the original film, best plot, best soundtrack; there have never been any sequels, TV series, cartoons or anything other than the film."
    "And you're a true connoisseur too." Turning back from his perusal of his treasured films he eyed the chatty man, "What kind of person would I be if I acknowledge there were sequels?"
    "May I ask you a question?"
    "Sure."
    "You ever heard of Tremors?"
    "Naturally. I've got all of them, and in fact, you are looking at someone who can quote it practically word for word." he said proudly.
    "Well then my geeky friend, might I ask what you're doing here? You seem to have the best films all memorised?"
    "Kids Film Night."
    "Ooh dear. Do they at least have good taste?""They do. But they're psychological terrors; made me watch Barbie a month ago. Three films. One after the other. They didn't even watch the bleedin' things. It was payback. Must be their mothers' genes."
    "Oh? And is she a pretty lady?"
    "She was. There was an accident . . . "
    "I'm sorry."
    "Look . . . "
    "Cristo, Cristo Meyers."
    "Mr. Meyers."
    "Cris, call me Cris."
    "Cris, it was a long time ago; the girls can hardly remember her and we were going through a rocky patch. The girls are only eight, but they've already tried to set me up with their sixth grade teachers."
    "Sixth grade?!"
    "They're smart and there's reason to hold them back."
    "Wow, you really love your girls don't you?"
    "They're my world. I even put up with hideously pink girly films until they grow up and see sense."
    "Waiting for them to discover the wonders that is sci -fi and fantasy?"
    "I certainly hope so."

Peering at the two men from behind a stack of horror films lurked the errant twins in question."Told you so, that guy who works here likes our Daddy."
    "You were right, DeeRee. Can we not pick something ridiculous this week? I want to watch some Buffy. You know I like the horror and the blood and Spike. Very funny guy."
    "You and your British obsession. I like Angel myself."
    "He's an Irish nutter with split personailty disorder! At least the psychopath I like enjoys his work."
    "If we pick Season Two we can get the whole thing." Drider said happily.
    "Deal. Plus it'll annoy Daddy Tooby. Oooh, Daddy Tooby got the other guys' phone number."
    "This calls for a celebration for the best matchmakers in the town."
    "Yep."

"Daddy Tooby! We've chosen our show." called his two tearaway lunatics of children. And it was at such an inopportune time, he and Cris were just discussing the true advantages of even vs. odd Star Trek films.
    Naturally even was best.
    Grabbing the DVDs out of one of the hands that span round him like a roundabout he marched his way up to the counter where Cris (surprising the heck out of him) took his order; he muttered a last minute, "Call me when the kids're asleep at eleven. We'll talk then." before his conspiring daughters whirled him out of the shop faster than they pushed him in.
    "Cute kids, glad they got me to talk to him. He's cute too." murmered Cris with a jaunty smile on his face.

Well, was that fluff cute or not?

@DeeRee:
    YOU HORRIBLE GIRL! I'VE BEEN WRITING THIS FOR TWO HOURS WHILE WATCHING M'SHOWS AND YOU DO SOMETHING SIMILAR!
    ANNOYING ALMOST - TRIPLET!
    ADORABLE! And almost sequel-ish to mine! Maybe Tooby gets TWO of the girls after alll...

6. - Top - End - #1206

Curly-Wonderful. yOu two really are evil little girls, arn't you thoug? ANyway, loved it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, and Curly - DeeRee is the best nickname for me EVAR. It is henceforth my preferred shipping moniker.

8. - Top - End - #1208

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Oh, and Curly - DeeRee is the best nickname for me EVAR. It is henceforth my preferred shipping moniker.
    M'dear, it is your permanent nickname and moniker as far as I'm concerned.
    Sometimes things are just perfect.

@St. Nil: yes we're evil. Well, ebil. Must make the distinction. And Daddy Tooby deserved it for taking away our books!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ettin in the Playground

M'dear, it is your permanent nickname and moniker as far as I'm concerned.
    Sometimes things are just perfect.

@St. Nil: yes we're evil. Well, ebil. Must make the distinction. And Daddy Tooby deserved it for taking away our books!
    We're also CUTE.

That means that we can get away with way more than otherwise.

Our ebil siblinghood is about at canon status.

10. - Top - End - #1210

Ya'll are strange...

But DeeRee got my misanthropic side right and Curly got two of my favorite movies right (though I never could debate about Star Trek movies...), so it's all ok.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Liar? Every word was true. Or could have been, as far as my character knows. I thrive on being sneaky. And I was trying to introduce the idea that maybe Mordokai returns Rabbit's feelings on some level.

@Nil - That's exactly what I was going for. Instead of saying that he would still back Nil, or betray him to help Mordokai, I'm leaving it open. Can't wait to see who takes up the mantle next so I can find out.
    Well, I have a few ideas. And I think I'll write them down, because I was looking for a place to do another of these anyways, as well as introduce exactly how Destro is going to be participating in the clash of armies. My lich is a very conflicted guy right now, and this ought to be very interesting to watch unfold. So here's the next brief chapter, to take place right after Mangosta leaves.

Ascension

Destro/Reinholdt, appearance by Liriel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Destro stared out the window after the assassin. He couldn't see where the man had gone, but he was out there somewhere. The lich sighed, stepping away from the window. The fires of his rage had abated, for now, and he was left with nothing but doubt. Nil needed his help, certainly. He had the smaller army, and Destro had promised that he would help to fill in that gap. If nothing else, the lich was a man of his word, but then again, words could be twisted. Whoever you are, he said to the cold night, you've left too many questions. I want answers.

Destro crossed the room, looking up. This was the highest room in the tower. Or at least, the highest room that could be easily reached. He pulled a large book off his bookshelf, reaching into the gap and pressing the stone of the wall behind. A panel in the ceiling slid aside and a ladder tumbled out. Destro replaced the book on the shelf, climbing into the dark hole in the ceiling and coming out in a small room with sloped walls that tapered to a point somewhere above his head. he pulled the ladder back up through the floor and closed the panel. Then he began removing items from a chest in one corner and spreading them out on the floor.

The preparations didn't take long. There was only one more thing to take care of, and then he could begin. Destro pulled a crystal from around his neck, tapped it once, and spoke. Liriel, I know you can hear me. I need you to find something out. Get some answers. Find out where and how far Nil's scouts have gone, but be careful about it. I don't want anyone hearing about this before it's time to act.

The answer was a long time coming. Eventually the voice came back, wavery and indistinct, though whether that was due to distance or hesitation Destro could not tell. Yes. Alright.

He would have to do something about her by the end of this. What, he still didn't know, but something. For now though, he would wait. And with this last distraction removed, he could concentrate for the moment on the task at hand. Destro lay back within the circle of candles and let his mind wander.

He leapt out of the tower, soared through the air. Flew across time, space and thought. The future was hard to see, but pinpointing the past was harder still, and finding one man amongst hundreds of thousands of others would be no easy task. Destro watched as cities burned. He walked alongside the once great spires of his home, stood by while armies fought and generals fell, saw firsthand the last great war to shake the earth. He leapt between points of light, searching but never finding, until at last he gave up. The threads of fate were too tangled over the past while, woven together into an incomprehensible mess. Destro would find no answers in the past.

He came back the the present, stood inside a church long since abandoned. People talked outside, but what interested Destro most were the sounds from the basement. He found the stairs, went down them, saw the pair of guards at the bottom. Walked right up to them. They couldn't see him. He had given his mind-form no substance, and it remained wispy. Ephemeral. Nothing more to them than the breath of wind amongst the tombs. Destro stepped through the door without opening it, and into a scene from nightmare.

This then, was Mordokai's torture chamber. It hadn't been cleaned after the last victim. The little cat was still strung up, and the lich was sure it had died.

Friend... friend? friend.. It hadn't died. Destro stepped towards it, wondering what it had done to Mordokai that he would do this to it. It was expertly done, in any case. The cat would never truly recover, but it would live. He raised a hand towards it, gave the hand shape, give it substance, touched a broken rib. The cat coughed, and the rib knitted itself back together. friend?

Reinholdt couldn't see anymore. Could barely hear. He could still feel though, still feel the never ending pain. That was his existence, had been his existence for as long as he could remember. He didn't know why. He just knew that someone.. someone was his friend. Or not his friend. There were no answers. There could be no answers. There was only the pain. Then, somewhere, part of the pain stopped.

Listen closely, little cat. You are going to give me answers. Every answer I get, something gets fixed. Some of the pain I know you're feeling gets to go away. Every answer I don't get, the pain stays.

Reinholdt tried to nod. But he couldn't. The words had seemed so distant, so far away, he couldn't even be sure he had heard them.

How long have you been here? The words were soft. Like the speaker cared, or was pretending to care. Reinholdt didn't know. He didn't care, either. The speaker could make some of the pain go away, and that was all that mattered. So Reinholdt told him, and another little chunk of pain vanished.

Do you know of Turtle? That one too, Reinholdt could answer. Yes. He did. He had seen her come down here. He had seen her around the camp. He couldn't say as much, couldn't find the words, but the 'yes' was enough.

Do you know what happened to her? Reinholdt answered, but he could tell from the pause it wasn't the answer the voice had wanted. He thought maybe the voice had gone, and wanted to cry out for it. Tell it to come back.

Did it have anything to do with Mordokai? The little cat smiled.
    Friend.. he said. But he answered that question too. Told the voice what he had seen. Told the voice about the dark place, where his thoughts couldn't go. He thought it was relevant. It had something to do with Turtle, didn't it? He was tired now. So tired.

Destro reached up and brushed a finger lightly across the cat's ruined face. It was the last thing he had wanted to fix, and while he still didn't know what he wanted to know, the cat had given him a good start. So the lich fixed the cat's eyes. Reinholdt looked out at the world again, saw the face of his savior, the owner of the voice, for the few seconds before it vanished. But he was too tired to scream.

Back in the tower, Destro sat up. He had spent too long trying to find some answers, and his tower still had many defenses left to build and activate. He would not leave his artifacts undefended while his mind was helping to win Nil's war. The lich left the room with the candles still in place, thinking to himself. Nil and Mordokai. Nil and Mordokai. If I can't find out who's to blame for this, I might have to take them both... And for the first time since Rabbit's call, he smiled.

Hmm. That's a lot longer than I planned. I just kept wanting to add things, and then halfway through I got the idea to toss in Reinholdt...
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Searching for Trouble (Redemption)
    starring Nil, DS7, Fred, Coizder
    Spoiler
    Show

Liriel held her chest, breathing heavily. She hadn't done so much running in years. She heard twig snap, and and listened closely. She heard footsteps. No doubt they were looking for her. She muttered a few words, and a duplicate form appeared before her. She smiled and broke a twig before running off silently.

A small tremble could be felt and a soft explosion heard. She smiled at that, and watched as Mordokai's scouts fled. She saw some of her own company fleeing as well. No doubt to regroup and attack again. Both parties had been caught off guard by one another. Sighing, she headed back to camp.

Nil looked around, searching over peoples heads, fearing the worst. That's when he saw her, and sighed with relief. He went over to her, and dragged her by the arm. You're not leaving this camp again! Do you hear me!? You could have died out there!

Liriel stuggled and finall managed to wrench her arm out. I can take care of myself quite easily. Thank you for the concern, but I don't need it.

Nil started to speak, when loud explosions could be heard. Everyone looked at the commotion. Fire and lightining rained down on the enemy. Liriel smiled. She knew who it was. It continued on for a full minute, decimating Mordokai's forces, before it finally stopped.

Nil was watched impassively. One more life taken, but another life spared. He wondered who the lucky person was.

He turned back to Liriel. When you are in my encampment, you follow my orders. And my orders are for you to stay within the camp. You can get hurt out on the battlefield.

Liriel started to protest but Nil silenced her with his hand.

If anything were to happen to you, Destro would be displeased with me. I don't need that added to my giant list of problems. Now please stay within the camp. We will reach it by nightfall.

An hour break was given for rest, and to find any remaining soldiers, wounded or lost. Nil would have given more time to help bury the dead, he couldn't allow it. They needed to reach the protection of the army.

Soon, they company set out, and they reached the camp an hour before sunset. A tent was prepared for Liriel. Within the half hour, they had it set up, and her belongings in it. Liriel entered the room, and a frown appeared on her face. The tent was quite lavished with luxury. A bed was against a corner, as well as two nightstands. A small desk was near the center of the tent, taking up most of the space, but it was quite gigantic. A lot better then she was normally used to, and yet, she hated it. Liriel sat on the bed and sighed. They were treating her like a princess. One who was spoiled and didn't know how to do anything.

She jumped as her necklace vibrated. Pulling it out, a crystal hung there, identical to the one Destro had around his neck. She could her Destro's voice say Liriel, I know you can hear me. I need you to find something out. Get some answers. Find out where and how far Nil's scouts have gone, but be careful about it. I don't want anyone hearing about this before it's time to act.

She looked around, and hesitated a moment before replying. Yes. Alright.

With that, she tucked it back inside her shirt. Night soon fell, and dinner was handed out. A servant came with her meal prepared. She frowned even more at the luxury. Veal with potatoes and some sort of salad. She thanked the servant and asked her to put it on the desk. She complied, and then left. Liriel grabbed the dish, and headed outside. She pushed it into the hands of the first soldier she saw, and kept on going.

Fred stared after her, not believing his luck at having such a good meal in his hands.

Liriel grabbed a bowl of porridge they were handing out, and headed past the camp limits. People watched her go off, but no one stopped her.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nil entered the tent to find it empty. He cursed, and asked some soldiers around. The general consenus he got was that she had walked off to somewhere.

He cursed again.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Liriel camp back to camp just before sunrise. She opened her tent flap to see Nil waiting inside. He watched her with a glare on his face.

And just where were you last night? he asked.

In the forest. she replied simply.

Nil brought his hand to his head. He was getting a headache. I told you to stay within camp limits. he said.

Destro tells me to do lots of things, but that doesn't mean I will. she said, shrugging.

Nil controlled his anger and remained calm, although his fist clenched.

If you will not remain within camp limits of your own free will, then I shall enforce it. With that, he left the tent.

Liriel stared at the flap, as it closed. She wondered how much she could get away with. She smiled slightly. This afternoon seemed like a good time to test it.

The army soon woke up, and everyone was busy preparing for the days march.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Liriel glared at Nil as they moved out. A ring of 50 guards surronded her. When she had tried to move past one of them, they pushed her back. When she had asked Nil about it, he merely shrugged and said it was for her protection. She pouted as she rode the horse beneath her, every once in the while glaring at Nil. He was going to regret this.

The onething she didn't know was that the man she gave the food to was part of her guard. His best friend stood beside him.

Apoligies to Fred and Coizder. If you want, ask and I shall remove thee.
    Last edited by Deathslayer7; 2009-01-02 at 11:16 PM.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

^:I've no problem with being a footnote. (Fred and I are quite the fast friends, aren't we?)

Funny thing is, I actually had another fic on the burner with Fred drilling his men in pole-arm play. Just, y'know, Dwarves and their personal axes sort of like how officers had their swords irregardless.

Hmm.... This is basically a companion/parallel to the earlier piece by me. We Humble Players, We.

Campfire in the night, burning in the evening light. (A Redemption side story [I don't think there's anything thus far been said to counter this about Korith's infiltration of the force])

Apologies to Korith, Saint Nil, Fredthefighter, and Magtok. Allusions to Pickman and Mordokai. Coidzor possibly appearing.
    Spoiler
    Show

So here we are, camp is being made after a long day's march. Spits are being set up over recently stoked cooking fires as privates and valets gather in water from the nearby stream for their units, and the washing women set themselves up downstream, occasionally calling out to the boys to make them blush for a change.

A million tasks all occurring together, various clerics prepare for their vespers at travel altars erected within the inner ring of camps, here and there lords whisper and discuss plans and the risks they must take, sergeants drill the rawest recruits in proper halberd tactics, especially crucial with their having just recently graduated to drilling with real weapons.

Up and down the pitch, men are distracted from their bellies as they march in formation, the red faced dwarf drilling them impressing how important keeping formation is by exploiting the gaps and windows in the fort formation, slipping in and out of their ranks, leaving welts and bruises to remind the men of the one pace that matters, that of the unit.

Away a bit, as the light begins to dim and the vanguard signals the first change of watch as sentries prepare their posts for the coming night. A lone man seeming to be one of the few people in the camp without some engagement, stopping and talking to the younger and more comely of the womenfolk, and receiving more than his fair share of slaps and laughter.

"Here woman! Who do you serve?"
    barked the Helvetian soldier as he grabbed the shoulder of a brown-haired seamstress. "No, on second thought, I don't care if you're serving anyone, I'll buy you out from underneath of him"

"What would you have of me?"

"Our force has recently come to aid the Saint, and in our hurry we had to leave without an attendant for our captain. I'll give you five sovereigns now to go and wash before reporting to the largest tent in the camp with this flag flying"
    The man pointed to the central circle on the chest of his tabard.

"My master is a suspicious man, so leave your belongings with the guards at his door, they'll see them stowed in your corner of the tent"

~~~~~~

Korith cursed his luck as he sat looking at his monitor. Damnable technology was useful but the kinks in the system were far too numerous. He looked over at the bag for the midden. It had not yet begun to smell of decay, but the bodies of the captain and his maid-lover still caused his flesh to rankle at being in the same room. Even if he did happen to have killed them both.

"Now why'd you have to cut in like that?"
    He said, whacking the monitor as he lamented the paladins and their insistence on a paucity of camp prostitutes.

The monitor buzzed and crackled at this, spitting forth a part of its recorded memory.

"Korith, report, what's the meaning of this communique? Speak, man!"

"It seems we have a hole in our security, allow me to fill it, sir."
    "Oh no, Lord, have mercy! Wait, You're not-!"

*a muffled shriek, some meaty thuds, and silence*

(At least I've done my part in keeping a child from entering this world without a father) Korith mused as he adjusted the skin of the face he was wearing. After a private dinner of the select cuts of captain, he wouldn't need to physically wear the skin to assume the disguise, having had the captain's blood mingle with his own, much more straight forward for battlefield conditions, after all.

Taking the place of a mercenary captain had its redeeming qualities though, he had to admit, as he took in the comely woman who had just entered to replace the maid in the bag his sergeant-at-arms had just removed.

"Fortunately we've already sent a lad along to the butchers, I'll take it braised in the wine you'll find by the brasier. If it's good, then you shall dine here with me..."

~~~~~~~

"Here's a little extra, keep an ear open and remain demure,"
    the sergeant whispered into her ear as he closed a small purse in her hands and imparted her with instructions as to her duties and who to report to for payment before sending her in to tidy up and take the captains' request for dinner.

As for him, he hefted the bags to deliver to the midden, reviewing internally when he was to alert the guards to an assassin's attempt on his lord so as to explain the body when it was found.

Whistling he went into the early night, with the intention of finding better company after finishing his dirty work. He didn't suspect in the slightest that a fortunate midnight snack that would explain things for him.

~~~~~~~~

In the morning, the news of the mutilated washing woman circulated the camp. It was grimly met. The younger paladins ended up taking it particularly hard. "So he's sending undead to strike fear into our nights, is he?" "Mordokai, what has happened to the man I loved? My Brother..." "What good is detecting evil if we forget to be vigilant against it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Summary: Korith has infiltrated the camp disguised as the captain of a force sent/hired to aid The Saint's forces. Some macabre things have been done in order to assume said captain's identity in order to get closer to the Saint.

Coidzor is either part of that force or is also masquerading as one of them. And has hired a replacement maid for Korith after the last one, possibly pregnant by the captain, saw what Korith was and was eliminated. Who knows what she really is, since he was getting tired of looking. (speculation:potential entry point)

Fred runs his unit through their drills after camp has been made. (speculation: potential entry points in the unit, and potential story in their first engagement.)

The Saint and his cadre of paladins discover and lament the use of undead against them.

Pickman eats dead body.

Go ahead and think of me as a Fighter (maybe with some levels in Rogue). Possibly with something in the way of skill points enough for more than just killing things efficiently.

Hmm, need to explore unit dynamics...

V:Danke... The magic is in the blood, y'know.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-01-03 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Ettin in the Playground

Exciting, Coido!

Though a little gross once I figured out what was happening.... >.>

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    Shadowland

Mordokai/RHL
    Spoiler
    Show

Mordokai and Rabbit sat at opposite ends of the table. Covered in the finest cloth, the couple dined on goldne plates, dranking century old wine.

Rabbit tried to start conversation a few times, but Mordokai seemed uninterested..

So Rabbit, how are you? Anything interesting of late?

She began to go on telling of her latest explotes agaisnt Cristo and new, evil spells, as servent rushed in to cater to their every whim.

Is that all?

Rabbit looked stunned for a moment, looking at Mordokai. Although the room was filled wiith candles, their seemed to be a dark shadow around his face.

Servents made sure Rabbbit always had what enough to eat and drink.

Of course....Why? Don't you trust me?

I wish I could Rabbit. I don't like it when you lie to me. I also don't like it when you betray me.

What..what are you talking about.

I. Know.

And know I think it's time you know. Specifically, what we are eating.

Rabbit looked down at her bowl.

Turtle soup.

Turtle soup? Turt....

Rabbit dropped to the floor, releasing the horrible stew from her gullet. Tears ran down the side of her face, filled with revulsion and terror.

I will find who caused you to betray me, and he will pay. But do not worry, I forgive you.

Rabbit mearly continued to sob, kneeling in a puddle of her sister.

I hope this isn't to disturbing.
    Mordokai dares to kill Turtle.!!!!!111!!!ELEVEN!!! Ah, well good work though Nil. Fanboy can haz vengenace though... Right? Or, would I be to evil to care?

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow... uhh... Curly, Drider... That was very sweet.

I frankly don't know what to say. I find it funny that Cristo is involved in both stories, one as my best friend and the other as...well... a special kind of friend.

I haven't read anything else yet, but am about to do that now!

*Goes to read*

@Coidzor: It is great to see Fred after a few hard knocks in the military. And I liked the addition of Pickman and others. Korith would make three spies being active in this conflict.

@DS7: Lovely, just lovely. I am glad that you are contributing to this story.

@Destro: Poor Reinholdt But you can't say he didn't bring it on himself... since he wrote the worst things that happened to him...himself...
    Still, I hate seeing my favorite kitty in such a condition. But it was a joy to read.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2009-01-03 at 12:31 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post

Wow... uhh... Curly, Drider... That was very sweet.

I frankly don't know what to say. I find it funny that Cristo is involved in both stories, one as my best friend and the other as...well... a special kind of friend.

I haven't read anything else yet, but am about to do that now!

*Goes to read*
    What's weird is that we had the ideas totally independent of each other. And put them up a few posts apart.

Sisterhood for the win!

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ogre in the Playground

Sisterhood for the win!
    *Hands you your obligatory pair of travelling pants*

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBitWriter View Post
    *Hands you your obligatory pair of travelling pants*
    I should prolly read that book. I never have.

I'm glad you found the fic amusing.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ogre in the Playground

I should prolly read that book. I never have.

I'm glad you found the fic amusing.
    It's not something I would read, but my wife has read the entire series and loves it.

Apparently it's just one of those things that girls have to read at some point.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

mmm *nodnod*

Twobit: It is very spy-filled thus far. I have a fic where someone has infiltrated Mordokai's castle to poison his concubines with something that won't hurt them, per se, but would definitely be a nasty surprise for someone like him when he comes calling on them. the way things are, I think there's too much having happened/too many spies in the spying for it.

Hmm... In regards to this Cristo, is there any history or was his name just fitted to a dark priest character? Since in the prequel saga, wasn't it his death that helped push Mordokai over the edge?

I've got a bit of something about a dark priest turned to follow Mordokai (and a bit of musing about the nature of paladins' hearts) but was not sure if Cristo would fit in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #1222

((Hoo boy - so Rabbit's gone to Happy's, but Happy's tried to commit suicide, so does Rabbit going to happy's come before or after that; Renfield bringing Happy to Rabbit's place; depending on the timing, might miss her in the night. And Destro's tower is technically en route ... hmmm ... tangled knots to play with, yes ... yes))
    Catatar made for me many years ago ... pretty sure by banjo1985
    Werewolf Awards: 'Best Narration: Helgraf'
    Rabbit says stuff that makes me blush.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Curly - Cute and scary... *little anime bead of sweat rolling down forehead* Very good.

@ Destro - Oh? I never expected Destro/Reinholdt. Yay for surprises! Well done sir.
    Now if only I wasn't frightened of Mordokai coming in and starting anew...
    I do believe it's time for an escape. *looks at kitty* Um... better stick with a rescue or something.

@ Deathslayer - Hehe. Silly rebellious fiery Liriel. You know I hope some good things go for Nil's army before things turn sour.

@ Coidzor - Interesting. Had no idea Korith could do that. Nice to see some fresh tricks being used.

^ Helgraf. Rabbit's story actually became the first in chronological order I believe, before Happy even turned herself over to Mord.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2009-01-03 at 02:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

24. - Top - End - #1224

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    ^ Helgraf. Rabbit's story actually became the first in chronological order I believe, before Happy even turned herself over to Mord.
    Okay, that helps. I may still have Helgraf/Renfield make a pit stop at Destro's - it seems ... appropriate somehow.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helgraf View Post
    Okay, that helps. I may still have Helgraf/Renfield make a pit stop at Destro's - it seems ... appropriate somehow.
    Sure. Though take note that it's already been recorded somewhere that Happy is indeed at Rabbit's Citadel now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #1226

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Sure. Though take note that it's already been recorded somewhere that Happy is indeed at Rabbit's Citadel now.
    Yes yes - I step away for a couple of days and the story moves on. ;)

That basically means Renfield got her there eventually, in a state more or less superficially resembling living.

Happen to know which fic it was? Probably faster than trying to troll the thread page by page for it.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Troll in the Playground

That basically means Renfield got her there eventually, in a state more or less superficially resembling living.

Happen to know which fic it was? Probably faster than trying to troll the thread page by page for it.
    I don't think it had been written.
    I'm fairly certain it jumped from that to Rabbit calling Destro about it...

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course. *puts on master index keeper glasses of power*
    Here:
    Off the Wall
    Small story spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show

It's what convinced Destro to join with Nil originally, after seeing Rabbit's pain and Turtle in the background.

^ Rabbit is correct. The actual delivery was not written about. It can still be done and inserted appropriately if you wish.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2009-01-03 at 02:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Troll in the Playground

I've done a few installments of a prequel to IStLY. You're welcome to continue that line - sort of a mini-collaboration between us. I'm kind of at a loss as to what should happen next anyway.

((Hoo boy - so Rabbit's gone to Happy's, but Happy's tried to commit suicide, so does Rabbit going to happy's come before or after that; Renfield bringing Happy to Rabbit's place; depending on the timing, might miss her in the night. And Destro's tower is technically en route ... hmmm ... tangled knots to play with, yes ... yes))
    Don't forget the mysterious assassin that's sitting in the middle, muddying the waters and playing every side against each other. At some point I should figure out what his motivation and goals are.

Really enjoying the direction Redemption is taking. Well done to everyone, can't wait to see what happens next.

@Koorli and Deeree - I also enjoyed your little stories. They entertained me in a way that's difficult to precisely define. A bit of amusement, and if I was the sort to do the whole "d'aww" thing, I suspect that such a response would have been triggered as well.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

Aye. I specifically left the point of delivery open so someone else could write it if they so wished. You may have noticed that I like doing that sort of thing.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing