New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I would like to visit Ireland and the UK at some point. As an English-speaker with just a smidge Spanish, they're really my main options for not-USA places to go.
    You can visit places without speaking the language! I speak English, some Irish, some French and a tiny bit of German, plus miscellaneous phrases of Spanish and Italian. I've been to, okay, the UK, the USA, Australia, France and (French-speaking) Belgium, but I've also been to Germany, Austria, Spain, Japan, Thailand, Luxembourg, the Nederlands, (Dutch-speaking) Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark... other places I'm forgetting 'cause I've totally been more places than that but I'm really tired right now... and I got by on smiles and memorising key phrases (forget "Hello" and "Goodbye", "Excuse me" and "How much does that cost?" are way more useful. That last can be used for polite buying AND haggling: HOW much does that cost?! *disgusted look*). And finding the inevitable McDonalds when you run out of energy. Plus lots of places you can use a mishmash of English plus local language, or French plus local language, or enthusiastic mime plus local language.

Actually, my father made frenemies with this mad old Italian woman. She spoke no English, my father spoke no Italian, but they tore strips out of each other every night when we went to her tiny restaurant. He would diss the food, she would call him fat, he would say he's a big guy he needs his dinner not this cat food, she would tell him to get the hell out of her establishment... Then they'd laugh and call each other ugly. I'm guessing her side of the conversation, there was much shouting and mime. It was beautiful!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

2. - Top - End - #572
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    You can visit places without speaking the language! I speak English, some Irish, some French and a tiny bit of German, plus miscellaneous phrases of Spanish and Italian. I've been to, okay, the UK, the USA, Australia, France and (French-speaking) Belgium, but I've also been to Germany, Austria, Spain, Japan, Thailand, Luxembourg, the Nederlands, (Dutch-speaking) Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark... other places I'm forgetting 'cause I've totally been more places than that but I'm really tired right now... and I got by on smiles and memorising key phrases (forget "Hello" and "Goodbye", "Excuse me" and "How much does that cost?" are way more useful. That last can be used for polite buying AND haggling: HOW much does that cost?! *disgusted look*). And finding the inevitable McDonalds when you run out of energy. Plus lots of places you can use a mishmash of English plus local language, or French plus local language, or enthusiastic mime plus local language.

Actually, my father made frenemies with this mad old Italian woman. She spoke no English, my father spoke no Italian, but they tore strips out of each other every night when we went to her tiny restaurant. He would diss the food, she would call him fat, he would say he's a big guy he needs his dinner not this cat food, she would tell him to get the hell out of her establishment... Then they'd laugh and call each other ugly. I'm guessing her side of the conversation, there was much shouting and mime. It was beautiful!
    Dang, you've been to a lot of places. I've been to New England, Miami (Florida), northern California, LA and San Diego, somewhere in Mexico near the border with California, and Japan. Also a Canadian border town for a couple of hours. And that's more places than some people I know have been. Does your family go on a lot of vacations, then?
    As for languages, I learn quickly, so if I tried I could pick up the super-basic stuff in time to visit a place. I'm just kind of anxious about traveling much alone.
    Haha, wow. And you kept going back, I guess. Shouting at someone in the wrong language isn't my cup of tea, but if the food is good, sure.
    Jude P.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been to... Illinois, Arkansas, Texas, Lousiana and Tennessee. And I think Puerto Rico when I was like, 3 or 4. I speak English and vaguely understand bits of German. Sometimes. >.>

Well .... We also have a huge alcohol problem that starts with kids 13 or 14 years old drinking in fields, works its way through teens drinking in clubs, twenty-somethings pub hopping until the last late-house closes and then heading back to an apartment to drink whatever they have, and middle aged alcoholics who no one would ever call an alcoholic because four pints of beer an evening, 12 on weekends, that's just Liam, he's a good guy. Hard drinker? You should've seen his dad! ... On the other hand, we can really hold our alcohol. Liam after four pints is only just starting to haze on the edges of functionality.
    Sounds like America, but with less cigarettes and better manners. X3

( I'm probably overgeneralizing, but meh. )

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

4. - Top - End - #574

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    WoD Discussion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ooh, can I stop by too? It looks fun-

So many pages. H-how do I catch up? @_@

If I eventually do, I would love to talk Werewolf. It is a very fun game that I played way too little of. ^_^
    Spoiler
    Show
    We should start our own LGBTAitP Werewolf game! It would be great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    @ Absol - great idea on the pyjamas and probably cheaper better than my current coping method of "buy jewelery" Will give it a try methinks.
    'Tis great fun, and you don't have to be out in public! Which is nice for where I am in everything, but that might not be as big of a perk for you.

Ok, so electrolysis report for Siuis and others interested:

Spoiler
    Show
    How much - $180/hr. This drops to $140/hr when getting a longer (3hr) session. They can do up to 6 hours in one go. Bookings can be tricky, especially in spring (which has just started here) as people get ready for summer, so plan ahead.

I do not have a lot of hair, but their conservative estimate is 150 hours, but it might only be 100 or so in the end. Do the maths and yes, it is very expensive but it is also 99% permanent so I feel it is a good investment.
    The operator was telling me some particularly hirstute people can take over 500 hours just for the face

How it works - you sit there and have electrified needles stuck in your face. Find an operator you like, as you'll be talking to them a hell of a lot.

Does it hurt? - No with an if, yes with a but. The first few felt uncomfortable, not painful. It was remakably similar to the feeling of having a hair pulled out actually. One or two really did hurt quite a bit, likely due to nerve proximity. Some areas are more sensetive than others (upper lip particulalry), but will very quite a bit - I found right on the back corner of my jaw the worst.
    It is worst when the area is getting done for the first time, and gets better as you get used to the sensation. The probes are only in for about five minutes in each spot, so it passes pretty quickly.

Some people do use numbing creams, and it will vary person to person. It wasn't as bad as having a tooth drilled or anything, but I imagine it's not much worse than epilating.

After effects - think bad razor burn. Some redness and a bit of bumpyness at first, which quickly subsided. You do get some very small scabbing the next day or so, and I was advised to lightly shave as soon as I got home to prevent shaving the scabs off.
    There is an after effect where part of the dead folicle is 'expelled' from the pore so to speak, which looks kind of like a whitehead, and is totally normal.

Other problems - there's a really great clothes shop just down the road, so that's going to be dangerous!
    That's good to know! Like Bianca, if it meant not needing to shave again, I'd do it. How long does your hair need to be? One blessing/curse I have is that my facial hair grows incredibly slowly. The one time I tried to grow a little beard, after a year and a half it still looked like I had just started growing it. If you need to grow your hair out ahead of time, I might have to start growing a month in advance...which will be very itchy...

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    Can you imagine how happy that makes me? That someone who hardly knows me cares so much? *hugs* I hope I have good news for you soon. But I have to wait still over a week until she returns from her vacation... so that's the minimum time you have to wait for any news. And I miss her...
    Caring about other people is just what I do. I can't really stop. Plus, you're just so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    So I should be glad that there are no groups here But I'd propbably be to shy to visit one anyway.
    I hate being so shy and scared all the time. I really miss out on a lot that way. Once I get used to something I'm fine, but it's getting there that's so hard.

Oh, yes, I understood that. My point is that articles will go for the most stereotypical stuff and a lot of us rainbow folk are left out in the cold by them. Basically I was just giving out about them.
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. It's kinda too bad, isn't it?

Well .... We also have a huge alcohol problem that starts with kids 13 or 14 years old drinking in fields, works its way through teens drinking in clubs, twenty-somethings pub hopping until the last late-house closes and then heading back to an apartment to drink whatever they have, and middle aged alcoholics who no one would ever call an alcoholic because four pints of beer an evening, 12 on weekends, that's just Liam, he's a good guy. Hard drinker? You should've seen his dad! ... On the other hand, we can really hold our alcohol. Liam after four pints is only just starting to haze on the edges of functionality.
    That sounds... But you guys don't automatically take the cake on holding your liquor. Some of the people I knew in college could hold a whole bunch.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    *Crosses her fingers for you~*

~Bianca
    Thanks, I'll try not wait, Yoda won't let you down!

On facial hair, eyebrows are weak, but it would take some pretty strong hands and quite a bit of bleeding to pluck the rest of it. And while my facial hair is fine, my leg hair bothers me from time to time because at some points it's nearly 1.5 inches.
    Last edited by supernerd; 2012-09-04 at 07:54 PM.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

6. - Top - End - #576

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post

On facial hair, eyebrows are weak, but it would take some pretty strong hands and quite a bit of bleeding to pluck the rest of it. And while my facial hair is fine, my leg hair bothers me from time to time because at some points it's nearly 1.5 inches.
    That's ridiculously long. My leg hair isn't more than 2cm but it's dark and relatively thick. The time I got bored and shaved one leg I ruined a new razor.
    Jude P.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

That's ridiculously long. My leg hair isn't more than 2cm but it's dark and relatively thick. The time I got bored and shaved one leg I ruined a new razor.
    mine is dark, but not too thick, and by at points, i mean, this group of about fifty hairs, but yeah. oh and most of the back of my thighs. my leg hair is ridiculous. so glad I prefer cuddling in most real world social situations over sex, because it would make me uncomfortable and not be able to perform.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

8. - Top - End - #578

New article I thought I'd share.

I feel so bad for (the younger) her!
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh

9. - Top - End - #579

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    I hate being so shy and scared all the time. I really miss out on a lot that way. Once I get used to something I'm fine, but it's getting there that's so hard.
    *Hugs* That gets me even with things I'm not worried about. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    Fingers, crossed for you they are. X3

*Hugs*

It is worth noting, hairs come out easier the faster they're plucked - that's part of why epilators work so well.

I don't even use non-electric razors; they tend to... Well, clog. To the point of being unusable. In a few swipes. On two days' beard growth. >.>

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That sounds... But you guys don't automatically take the cake on holding your liquor. Some of the people I knew in college could hold a whole bunch.
    You just gotta remember to lift with your legs when you're dealing with kegs, is all. And practice makes perfect since it's going to build up those muscles if one is doing it regularly without throwing one's back out.

@Arachu: Do you have really weak water pressure or something? Between rinsing it and using a spare toothbrush, clogging really shouldn't be an issue unless you're using a safety razor directly on a lot of long hairs rather than doing short strokes with some kind of lubricant/cream/gel/lather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #581
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Captain Jack Harkness. He's better than both at what he's doing.
    I didn't like Jack when I first met him, figured he was just there for the wow factor. "oh ho! Look, one of them promiscuous everysexuals like those college girls, but this one is a boy how novel~!". And then I watched doctor who starting at the ninth doctor, and now he's grown on me. I think aside from my conditioned male WASP 24-34 response, he's a very good example of a sexual character.

... Is it okay if I use that acronym? I suppose I could leave the P in and just use it to mean something else.

Yet another [REDACTED] debate. I'm tired of people arguing about the most inane [REDACTED] so aggressively. Come [REDACTED] on, can't you guys just play [REDACTED] nice for ONCE?
    ... look, I'll leave that here. It expresses my point of view much more nicely.
    "Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?"
    I'm sorry. I try to keep my debating academic, or be very clear when it's n emotional appeal. If I start to be a problem let me know, s'il vous plaît?

Ok, so electrolysis report for Siuis and others interested:

Spoiler
    Show
    How much - $180/hr. This drops to $140/hr when getting a longer (3hr) session. They can do up to 6 hours in one go. Bookings can be tricky, especially in spring (which has just started here) as people get ready for summer, so plan ahead.

I do not have a lot of hair, but their conservative estimate is 150 hours, but it might only be 100 or so in the end. Do the maths and yes, it is very expensive but it is also 99% permanent so I feel it is a good investment.
    The operator was telling me some particularly hirstute people can take over 500 hours just for the face

How it works - you sit there and have electrified needles stuck in your face. Find an operator you like, as you'll be talking to them a hell of a lot.

Does it hurt? - No with an if, yes with a but. The first few felt uncomfortable, not painful. It was remakably similar to the feeling of having a hair pulled out actually. One or two really did hurt quite a bit, likely due to nerve proximity. Some areas are more sensetive than others (upper lip particulalry), but will very quite a bit - I found right on the back corner of my jaw the worst.
    It is worst when the area is getting done for the first time, and gets better as you get used to the sensation. The probes are only in for about five minutes in each spot, so it passes pretty quickly.

Some people do use numbing creams, and it will vary person to person. It wasn't as bad as having a tooth drilled or anything, but I imagine it's not much worse than epilating.

After effects - think bad razor burn. Some redness and a bit of bumpyness at first, which quickly subsided. You do get some very small scabbing the next day or so, and I was advised to lightly shave as soon as I got home to prevent shaving the scabs off.
    There is an after effect where part of the dead folicle is 'expelled' from the pore so to speak, which looks kind of like a whitehead, and is totally normal.

Other problems - there's a really great clothes shop just down the road, so that's going to be dangerous!
    Nuts. 21,000 is a good dozen times more than I thought.

And how much like bad razor burn? My bad razor burn lasts for about two weeks.

I'd be willing to try. If it worked I'd even be able to go clean-shaven. The reason I use a trimmer instead of a razor is because razors irritate my skin. So I have perpetual stubble. Except now I have mutton chops because it means less shaving.
    Ditto. The bet I can manage is a dignified coloring.
    Unfortunately, this means my ID picture looks like I dipped my chin in koolaid trying to have a beard >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Nick274 View Post
    IM BAAAAAACK! How ya'll doing?

*Hugs*

I also have some LGBT+ news.

I was at my cousins bithdayparty and I met a girl (13) named Laruin (She is somehow relaterd to me). She is a SUPER tomboy awesome ball of awesome. After a boxing match (which she won ) she told me about her friend Cindy. She hates her name and gender. She is already looking in to a gender change for when she is older.
    I think that nice, its a nice stoy and i told Laruin to send him to here if she wants to.

And that's all I have to say about that...
    Welcome back! Hope your friend comes around. We like new faces! And old faces!

Faces in general really. I collect them. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Yeah, it's... not comfortable. Bearable though after the first few seconds. You kinda get used to it. Mostly I find that I get incredibly bored, it takes ages.

Not sure how cheap they are, I got mine free secondhand from a friend. Depends what bells and whistles you want - one of the best-rated ones I've seen has an in-built icepack to reduce pain. And also a fantastically LGBT-friendly advert! You don't need that though - mine's very basic and works fine. Hair needs to be at least a millimeter or two long I'd guess, or it won't have anything to grip.
    Neat video. Question: there is a half second or so of a massage in that commercial. Can we see if the narrator is the client or the MT? My tiny phone screen is of no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Male facial hair is somewhat more strongly rooted :/
    Dang. I was hoping for an easy ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I've been listening to some bluesy stuff from Metallica's lesser known (and lesser liked) albums. Here's two tracks that I've been really enjoying. Each one has a bit of symbolism, but I interpret the lyrics in my own way.

King Nothing - I like to think about the lyrics of this song representing the crumbling power of hateful organizations that try and preach against LGBT. It's got similar structure to a previous song the band wrote (Enter Sandman), and has a rather peaceful bass line before the more aggressive parts of the song begin.

The House Jack Built - I don't really have any way to interpret this song. It's just a really slow, brooding beat with an interesting (and dramatic) shift in tone throughout the song. The song's filled with rising and falling beats, and the chorus feels triumphant. Funnily enough, this was the song I listened to after I came out to my parents, and dealt with some prejudice from "friends" I had. I suppose that's how I interpret the song.

Of course, the first song is actually just about a man in a position of power losing all of it too quickly, and the latter is about someone shut off from the rest of the world before seeing it with his own eyes, and being amazed at how it appears. Anyways, back to Lord of the Flies.
    Lesser known? Lesser liked? Huh. Okay.
    Well, I have always been in the minority there, as I like the music more than the rebellion so integral to the fan base of my age group.

I would like to visit Ireland and the UK at some point. As an English-speaker with just a smidge Spanish, they're really my main options for not-USA places to go.
    I want to learn Irish, and French, and can't decide which order to do it in so I've wasted the last five years. And unfortunately, I only have a knack for Scott's gaelic. XP

Spoiler
    Show
    We should start our own LGBTAitP Werewolf game! It would be great fun!
    I would just like to say its your idea, totally original, and not what I was angling towards this whole time at all
    I'd suggest a smaller group and a soft 'one post a day, after three days you'll fade into the BG' rule myself. But that's because I live in my UCP so posting frequently is a thing I can do.

That's good to know! Like Bianca, if it meant not needing to shave again, I'd do it. How long does your hair need to be? One blessing/curse I have is that my facial hair grows incredibly slowly. The one time I tried to grow a little beard, after a year and a half it still looked like I had just started growing it. If you need to grow your hair out ahead of time, I might have to start growing a month in advance...which will be very itchy...
    How old are you hon? My first beard grow was a six month stretch, and I took that six months of not shaving all the time for the hair to spread from my wolverine-esque sideburns onto my cheeks. It was itchy for three weeks, fine for a month, and then various levels of itchy/dirty/ugly until I said "bugger this" and got rid of most of it.
    The nine inch wide moustache was nice, but it got in the way of eating. I got a request to join an honest to goodness pirate crew though!

The differences are really more of a social enforcement. If Liam gets malky thr whole pub will intercede and see Liam home. I that happens here, his friends will try to intercede, an everyone else will just look uncomfortable until security deals with it.

There is also a subculture in America (or California, new York, and one small part of Oregon, everywhere else I couldn't say) where it's better to set hardware limits than software ones. People will drink everything available to them, be it the one bottle in the fridge, or whatever the bartender pours for them. I'm often told by customers that they buy bottles instea of the cheaper six pack because they cannot leave any. They will drink everything available.
    Myself, well, I like a strong drink for a quick lift an then just sip the night through. Economical.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    You just gotta remember to lift with your legs when you're dealing with kegs, is all. And practice makes perfect since it's going to build up those muscles if one is doing it regularly without throwing one's back out.
    Ah man, no wonder I've been having trouble. I was using a sharp, twisting jerking motion. Taking my legs totally out of the equation.

12. - Top - End - #582

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    ouch. Ya wanna talk about it, luv? Or just commiserations?
    Well i'm sure all of you guys know how absolutely into this relationship I was, and basically after being away for a month on various boy scouts trips and camps, he comes back (I'm still not sure if he talked to me as soon as he got back or if he had been back for days and just didn't know what to say to me) and tells me he isn't comfortable with himself, and that I deserve better than that. I can't really remember the details of his speech, since it was about a month/three weeks ago. He even told me he was going to look into reversion therapy.

I just didn't know what to say. I just sat there nodding like an idiot (this is all over video chat, since we don't get to see each other enough to meet up just so he can breakup with me, it was as close to face to face as was sensibly possible). I just couldn't do anything. I should have said something. It wasn't till like a week or two later that I finally told him I'd always be there for him.

I felt like I should have fought for him, asked him to stay with me and I could help him until he was absolutely sure one way or the other, but no. I did nothing, but ****ing sit there.

And what do you know, the day after I tell him I'll always be there for him, he comes to the realization in this GSA community Facebook group that it was all just to much straightness from boy scouts and he's all fine now. Like two or so weeks after he broke up with me. I know it's not his fault for having those issues with himself, but it just... knowing that doesn't make me feel any better.

And recently, I've started thinking about him. Like, all the time. I can't stop. Whenever I get all touchy feeling with my friends, like I'm known to do, all I think about is holding him. When I'm lying in bed (like I am right now) and I have nothing else to think about, I think about him, something I used to do a lot when we were dating. I miss him.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't like Jack when I first met him, figured he was just there for the wow factor. "oh ho! Look, one of them promiscuous everysexuals like those college girls, but this one is a boy how novel~!". And then I watched doctor who starting at the ninth doctor, and now he's grown on me. I think aside from my conditioned male WASP 24-34 response, he's a very good example of a sexual character.
    John Barrowman
    (siiiigh)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    And recently, I've started thinking about him. Like, all the time. I can't stop. Whenever I get all touchy feeling with my friends, like I'm known to do, all I think about is holding him. When I'm lying in bed (like I am right now) and I have nothing else to think about, I think about him, something I used to do a lot when we were dating. I miss him.
    Tell him you miss him. Tell him you feel bad. Hell, show him this entire post. If he doesn't know you still want him back, he might think you're mad.
    ...I mean, maybe you already tried or something, but... well. You probably know what you're doing and all.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

14. - Top - End - #584

*So many hugs for Shiro* :<

Ah man, no wonder I've been having trouble. I was using a sharp, twisting jerking motion. Taking my legs totally out of the equation.
    I've just been picking them up over my head and posing menacingly. No wonder I don't get invited to parties. >.<

@Arachu: Do you have really weak water pressure or something? Between rinsing it and using a spare toothbrush, clogging really shouldn't be an issue unless you're using a safety razor directly on a lot of long hairs rather than doing short strokes with some kind of lubricant/cream/gel/lather.
    Low water pressure, didn't think of a toothbrush, my parents just use conditioner and that turned out to make the blades irritate my skin more for some reason (also it clogged pretty quickly anyway), not using said conditioner helped most of my skin except for places where I nicked myself or accidentally plucked hair right out instead of cutting it (this also resulted in uneven patches sometimes). >.<

... Fortunately, my electric works better than that did at the best times without needing any maintenance aside from lots of emptying. Science~!

@.@ *Hugs*

Welcome back! Hope your friend comes around. We like new faces! And old faces!

X3

I want to learn Irish, and French, and can't decide which order to do it in so I've wasted the last five years. And unfortunately, I only have a knack for Scott's gaelic. XP
    >.< I keep deciding to learn languages and forgetting. I can sometimes recognize and read bits of some European ones, but if I actually tried to say anything I'd draw a total blank. :B

I would just like to say its your idea, totally original, and not what I was angling towards this whole time at all
    I'd suggest a smaller group and a soft 'one post a day, after three days you'll fade into the BG' rule myself. But that's because I live in my UCP so posting frequently is a thing I can do.
    *Will probably get in on this, if it happens and she's familiar with / able to learn about the system being used.* X3

The nine inch wide moustache was nice, but it got in the way of eating. I got a request to join an honest to goodness pirate crew though!

There is also a subculture in America (or California, new York, and one small part of Oregon, everywhere else I couldn't say) where it's better to set hardware limits than software ones. People will drink everything available to them, be it the one bottle in the fridge, or whatever the bartender pours for them. I'm often told by customers that they buy bottles instea of the cheaper six pack because they cannot leave any. They will drink everything available.
    Myself, well, I like a strong drink for a quick lift an then just sip the night through. Economical.
    I just try to stop when I get buzzed, but I don't drink very often... Also that sounds more cool.

~Bianca
    Thanks for existing.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Well i'm sure all of you guys know how absolutely into this relationship I was, and basically after being away for a month on various boy scouts trips and camps, he comes back (I'm still not sure if he talked to me as soon as he got back or if he had been back for days and just didn't know what to say to me) and tells me he isn't comfortable with himself, and that I deserve better than that. I can't really remember the details of his speech, since it was about a month/three weeks ago. He even told me he was going to look into reversion therapy.

I just didn't know what to say. I just sat there nodding like an idiot (this is all over video chat, since we don't get to see each other enough to meet up just so he can breakup with me, it was as close to face to face as was sensibly possible). I just couldn't do anything. I should have said something. It wasn't till like a week or two later that I finally told him I'd always be there for him.

I felt like I should have fought for him, asked him to stay with me and I could help him until he was absolutely sure one way or the other, but no. I did nothing, but ****ing sit there.

And what do you know, the day after I tell him I'll always be there for him, he comes to the realization in this GSA community Facebook group that it was all just to much straightness from boy scouts and he's all fine now. Like two or so weeks after he broke up with me. I know it's not his fault for having those issues with himself, but it just... knowing that doesn't make me feel any better.

*hugs*

*HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGS*

That's pretty much all I've got. I have...no idea what to say to this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

16. - Top - End - #586
    Banned

Oh, honey...
    I've been there. That sucks. Especially the.. Reversion therapy bit. Seriously? I suppose that must be the cognate to when I'm thinking maybe I should just buckle down and man up... That's goin' on the wallet List.

You're young, right? Around 14-16 I think? It's... I hate to say it but it's possible that he was trying to just separate from you for some space. Of course, it is equally possible, and far more in line with how relationships usually go, that his re-gayification wasn't coincidental. Maybe 'oh I'm into men after all' when you'll always be there for him was a hint?

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Tell him you miss him. Tell him you feel bad. Hell, show him this entire post. If he doesn't know you still want him back, he might think you're mad.
    ...I mean, maybe you already tried or something, but... well. You probably know what you're doing and all.
    this. All of this. For your own peace of mind, if nothing else. Fair waters an smooth sailing, mate.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

I've gotten through Italy, France, Japan, Thailand and Devon without anything other than English and phrasebooks.

... Wat. o.o
    Deeply rooted, so very deeply rooted. We had to have two people holding his shoulders while a third pulled the hair with pliers.

Oh, I can put up with a bit of irritation if it means never having to shave again. :smallhopeful~:
    Nuts. 21,000 is a good dozen times more than I thought.

It will vary person to person of course, but I just got a small amount of redness and roughness, and today the redness is basically gone and it just feels a littel dry. Obviously it will be worse with a longer session.

And yeah, expensive, but worth it for me. Not going to get it done anywhere else, except maybe my eyebrows at a later date.

'Tis great fun, and you don't have to be out in public! Which is nice for where I am in everything, but that might not be as big of a perk for you.
    No, it certainly sounds good as I'm still quite a few months off doing anything in public

They say at least 2mm. My genetics sound similar to yours (I met up with friend afterwards and she found it hilarious that my four days growth was less than her BF's after about four hours) and the operator said I should be fine not shaving two days beforehand rather than four or five.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ettin in the Playground

*hugs*

So if I understand it, he wasn't quite as gay as he thought he was and the time apart from you made him realise that? That really sucks hun. You are a loving and caring person, Shiro. That, combined with the fact that this was your first love, is why you're missing him like crazy. It's really hard to go from having cuddles at home on the couch to being alone.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

... I wish there was something I could tell you to comfort you, Shiro. Stay strong.
    *hugs*

I'm sorry. I try to keep my debating academic, or be very clear when it's n emotional appeal. If I start to be a problem let me know, s'il vous plaît?
    No, it's okay, in fact, I should be the one to apologize. When the subject pops up and I'm not in a perfectly patient mood, I resort to swearing a lot instead of reasoning like a grown person (hah, the irony!), and that contributes NOTHING to the conversation. I'll watch out for my own emotional reactions in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

20. - Top - End - #590

Note to self: Do NOT show emotion around SiuiS. :straightface:

Hooray! I'm not brainwashed! Oh, and by-the-by, All Hail the Almighty SiuiS!

That sounds like a good rule. Whatever it is, though, I unfortunately can't run: I'm already behind on my Avatar campaign as it is.

How old are you hon? My first beard grow was a six month stretch, and I took that six months of not shaving all the time for the hair to spread from my wolverine-esque sideburns onto my cheeks. It was itchy for three weeks, fine for a month, and then various levels of itchy/dirty/ugly until I said "bugger this" and got rid of most of it.
    Me? I'm 24. It usually takes four to five days after shaving before my stubble becomes noticeable, and once that happens, it just sort of...stops growing, leaving me perpetually in that itchy, half-grown phase.

Also, that moustache sounds hilarious ! Uh-oh, I showed emotion! Nooo! My face, don't... :smallblankface:

*very sad story*
    ... I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose someone you love in that way, especially if they're still around all the time. There's unfortunately very little I can say, except to offer you *hugs*, and to hope that you can make it through this darkness.

*Will probably get in on this, if it happens and she's familiar with / able to learn about the system being used.* X3
    Of course the fair Lady Bianca can join! The system we've been discussion is the new World of Darkness - Werewolf: the Forsaken. Are you familiar with it? No? Check back here at 2:00 Mountain Time, and there will be an awesome link that will make you familiar!

They say at least 2mm. My genetics sound similar to yours (I met up with friend afterwards and she found it hilarious that my four days growth was less than her BF's after about four hours) and the operator said I should be fine not shaving two days beforehand rather than four or five.
    One of my college house-mates was particularly hirsuite. One Hallowween he was going to be Jayne (from Firefly), which meant growing a goatee or whatever it's called that Jayne has. Come October 25th or 26th, he's still clean shaven, but two days later and it's grown in full and glorious.

Me on the other hand...two years probably wouldn't even get me close to that!

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

So peeking in this thread again for a time, everything seems to be as fluffy as ever...

Absol: what is this WoD thingie and Can I join in and/or eat it? (how much time will it take and what are the general requirements?)

For the rest hugs for those in need/want
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

22. - Top - End - #592
    Banned

Note to self: *Do NOT show emotion around SiuiS. *:straightface:
    Nuts.

Hooray! *I'm not brainwashed! *Oh, and by-the-by, All Hail the Almighty SiuiS!

That sounds like a good rule. *Whatever it is, though, I unfortunately can't run: I'm already behind on my Avatar campaign as it is.
    And nuts again. I may have to bite the bullet, but my current games are showing me first hand I don't know the system enough to play, let alone run, at the level I'd like...

Me? *I'm 24. *It usually takes four to five days after shaving before my stubble becomes noticeable, and once that happens, it just sort of...stops growing, leaving me perpetually in that itchy, half-grown phase.
    Intriguing.... That's where I was at your age (all of twenty to thirty months ago, hahaha pretendin to be old is funny), and at 19 days till my birthday I shaved down to baby bottom smooth an let it all grow. By the time I shaved, the whole thing had thickened and spread, and now I have the hair pattern I wanted to five years ago and don't want it. XD

Also, that moustache sounds hilarious ! *Uh-oh, I showed emotion! *Nooo! *My face, don't... :smallblankface:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm sorry, how rude of me. You were saying something? I was distracted by my new mantle piece.

Isn't it gorgeous~?

Of course the fair Lady Bianca can join! *The system we've been discussion is the new World of Darkness - Werewolf: the Forsaken. *Are you familiar with it? *No? *Check back here at 2:00 Mountain Time, and there will be an awesome link that will make you familiar!
    Oh right. Forgot this. Luckily, I am here to do the OP correction now...

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    So peeking in this thread again for a time, everything seems to be as fluffy as ever...

Absol: what is this WoD thingie and Can I join in and/or eat it? (how much time will it take and what are the general requirements?)
    Spoiler
    Show

The new World of Darkness line is a reboot of the game system from White Wolf, the same system familiar to those who have heard of Vampire: the Masquerade and Werewolf: the Apocalypse.

In Werewolf: the Forsaken you are a werewolf, one of the Uratha/the People. In ancient times the spirit world and mortal world were almost one, an a great wolf spirit prowled the borders keeping everything in line. He had children with the moon, who were mortal, for she took on flesh. These children were trained to uphold his policing o the boundaries.

Eventually, Father wolf grew old, and they did what any pack must do; throw down their Alpha when he grows weak. Even though it was necessary, it was also kinslaying. Their descendants now maintain their old job in the modern world, balancing a sense of being more than human, and yet no longer as much as human. They also contain a primal, supernatural rage which is the source of their power but threatens to consume them. During this, the spirit world preys on mortals, and must be policed, and an ancient schism of wolves who revoked the slaying of their Father hunt the Forsaken Uratha to this day, out of revenge.

Like any World of Darkness game, it's a horror game made all the more brutal by the mechanics - world of darkness doesn't have combat mechanics. It has a murder simulator. Fighting happens but it is Nasty, Brutish and Short, and you want to avoid it or stack the deck as much as possible.

Oh, but you asked what you would need.

Hm.

• Either a copy of both the World of Darkness core rules and the Werewolf: the Forsaken campaign book, or someone who has them and can walk you through everything.
    • A Story Teller to run a game.

That last one is our big sticking point, although maybe I'll get off me duff and give it a once-over?

I think we may need to find another venue for discussion soon though. This isn't even tangentially related to the thread topic anymore >_>

Wish I could remember my Skype or AIM passwords <_<
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-09-05 at 07:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Hugs for anyone who needs them. Especially Shiro *huggles*

Also, I'd like to join in on that Werewolf game if SiuiS starts it It looks like it'd be great fun!

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone know of good ways to deal with stress without running away from the problem? :/ It's all I can do right now.. My second-most best friend Nathan found out the other day that his girlfriend (who is also my sister, I live with both of them but am at Elemental's place at the moment to relax, he's the bestest friend ) has been cheating on him for two months, and he's been up and down ever since he found out on Friday night last week.. One minute he's sobbing, next he's yelling angrily and smashing things. He knows I'm scared/stressed (to the point of being physically sick) even though he said he won't hurt me 'cause he loves me like a brother. But I just.. don't know anymore. They were fine one minute, the next minute he's breaking some of her stuff around the house while she was out 'at a friend's place' (but we now know the truth).

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

I just read about someone giving examples for the need of feminism, one of which was unrealistic standards of beauty for women.

And from all the things I've learned about gender roles and models in the last decade of my adult life, I got the impression that this isn't really a case of sexism against women.
    Any time a discussion gets to the point where men say "Well, I really wouldn't mind if you would be wearing more plain things and forget about makeup altogether", the reply that young women in their 20s and 30s give seems to be "This isn't about you, this is a women thing".
    And really, where is all the beauty and fashion stuff at its highest and craziest levels? In magazines and tv showes aimed at women. And all the stupid movies that portray horrible examles of priorities for young women and relationships? No man would ever want to watch them.

Now, I am not a woman and I don't care for fashion, so I don't have an inside perspective on these things and only see things from the outside.
    But what do the women say? Is the obsession with appearance really something that is forced on women by demanding men who refuse to give women a chance if they don't conform to the made up beauty standards? Or is it something that women are doing to each other and it doesn't have anything to do with sexism and inequality?
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-09-05 at 07:24 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

25. - Top - End - #595

Man, that's really rough. You could try telling him this, or you could pop over the the Relationships thread for some better advice than mine. *hugs*

Me? I'm 24. It usually takes four to five days after shaving before my stubble becomes noticeable, and once that happens, it just sort of...stops growing, leaving me perpetually in that itchy, half-grown phase.

One of my college house-mates was particularly hirsute. One Halloween he was going to be Jayne (from Firefly), which meant growing a goatee or whatever it's called that Jayne has. Come October 25th or 26th, he's still clean shaven, but two days later and it's grown in full and glorious.

Me on the other hand...two years probably wouldn't even get me close to that!
    I don't know how quickly mine grows in from clean-shaven because I don't shave. But aside from the bits in the front of my mouth where it hasn't quite gotten around to fully growing in yet, it doesn't grow slowly. I think it grows at about the same rate as my head hair, which is slightly above-average for head-hair, but I've definitely seen men whose facial hair grows faster than that. Anyway, I have to "shave" (read: trim to the shortest setting on my trimmer, which is about 1mm) every other day or it starts to look overgrown again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Hugs for anyone who needs them. Especially Shiro *huggles*

Also, I'd like to join in on that Werewolf game if SiuiS starts it It looks like it'd be great fun!

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone know of good ways to deal with stress without running away from the problem? :/ It's all I can do right now.. My second-most best friend Nathan found out the other day that his girlfriend (who is also my sister, I live with both of them but am at Elemental's place at the moment to relax, he's the bestest friend ) has been cheating on him for two months, and he's been up and down ever since he found out on Friday night last week.. One minute he's sobbing, next he's yelling angrily and smashing things. He knows I'm scared/stressed (to the point of being physically sick) even though he said he won't hurt me 'cause he loves me like a brother. But I just.. don't know anymore. They were fine one minute, the next minute he's breaking some of her stuff around the house while she was out 'at a friend's place' (but we now know the truth).
    That also sounds rough. I don't know what to suggest. *hugs*
    Jude P.

26. - Top - End - #596

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I just read about someone giving examples for the need of feminism, one of which was unrealistic standards of beauty for women.

And from all the things I've learned about gender roles and models in the last decade of my adult life, I got the impression that this isn't really a case of sexism against women.
    Any time a discussion gets to the point where men say "Well, I really wouldn't mind if you would be wearing more plain things and forget about makeup altogether", the reply that young women in their 20s and 30s give seems to be "This isn't about you, this is a women thing".
    And really, where is all the beauty and fashion stuff at its highest and craziest levels? In magazines and tv showes aimed at women. And all the stupid movies that portray horrible examles of priorities for young women and relationships? No man would ever want to watch them.

Now, I am not a woman and I don't care for fashion, so I don't have an inside perspective on these things and only see things from the outside.
    But what do the women say? Is the obsession with appearance really something that is forced on women by demanding men who refuse to give women a chance if they don't conform to the made up beauty standards? Or is it something that women are doing to each other and it doesn't have anything to do with sexism and inequality?
    What I want to know is, why do women get all the fun fashion choices to begin with? I hate wearing boring clothes. I hate baggy jeans and plain t-shirts. I only like buttoned shirts if they incorporate some interesting element -- such as the bright orange slik shirt I own with a painted tiger splashed all over it.

Normally I compensate by wearing t-shirts with humorous captions -- such as the bright yellow "WARNING: I DO DUMB THINGS" that's a running favorite. I don't want to wear any generic nonsense. I want something interesting, dammit!

And that's not to impress other people, at least not as I understand it unless I have some repressed need for attention. I wear things like that because, otherwise, I might as well throw on a bathrobe and sit at home, unwashed and with a TV remote glue to my hand.

If I look at my wardrobe and start seeing... plain t-shirt, plain sweatshirt... uninspired button-down collar with no interesting cut...

Well, I just go back to bed.

On the plus side, I at least know that my underwear collection will keep me from ever being boring, even if far fewer people get the chance to see me actually wearing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    What I want to know is, why do women get all the fun fashion choices to begin with? I hate wearing boring clothes. I hate baggy jeans and plain t-shirts. I only like buttoned shirts if they incorporate some interesting element -- such as the bright orange slik shirt I own with a painted tiger splashed all over it.
    I remember on my gradation from school when standing in line for the food, I talked with some of the women and they commented on my combination of trousers, shirt, and jacket and bemoaned that they are always stuck with just picking a single piece dress that doesn't have any options for creative and individual touches.

Also, that moustache sounds hilarious ! Uh-oh, I showed emotion! Nooo! My face, don't... :smallblankface:
    So unfair!!!

I start showing after half a day. It takes four or five days for me to start calling it a beard.
    Which doesn't help me at all at trying to get a highly androgynous look. Now after a year of wet shaving, I think my skin is ready to take a third pass against the grain.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-09-05 at 07:52 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

well, according to a friend of mine it's a bit of both (and not just done by men only).

My guess is that it was a growing trend of men telling what they liked in women, to women, giving birth to the fashion industry. In time the fashion industry started to advertise by spreading media messages of said ideal (even when the ideal changes from time to time into things I as a man have doubts of being attractive). here si the problem with humanity (possibly only the male part but w/e): people think that when something is successful, more of it is even more successful. Following those ideas if the fashion ideal was a normal albeit slightly skinny or slender figure, over time the skinnyness may have been pushed into an extreme. Here's the trick: it may have started in an ideal shaping media, in time media has been shaping the ideal bewitching both men and women. So I wonder if it is still men (in general) repressing women in a certain beauty ideal, or if it is the media in general who's to blame (who are not all male).
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

Dresses and makeup are the female version of chest bumping. Yes, it has the added benefit of showing your qualities to potential mates, but primarily it's all about establishing dominance in the peer group.

Remember ladies, when you dress up to upstage other girls, this is what you are actually doing.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #600

I remember on my gradation from school when standing in line for the food, I talked with some of the women and they commented on my combination of trousers, shirt, and jacket...
    Oh, holy crap. I had to stop buying jackets because I actually ran out of closet space for them. Thank god for the layered look!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......