New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Psions

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Psions

So I keep seeing people mention Shapers(I think) doing poison damage to foes. I haven't read into it much but I have been looking around. Could anyone point me in the direction of the feat, power or other that does this?

Thanks in advance, Sam
    Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for my awesome avatar! Thanks to my friend John Thompson for the original photo.

You may call me Pokefan Sam.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Psions

It's not a feat; it's a power. Specifically, Minor Creation, Psionic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Where do people find these mysterious plant based poisons? Most seem to be animal based venoms, or ingested poisons, which are useless in combat.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    It's not a feat; it's a power. Specifically, Minor Creation, Psionic.
    Can you psionically create alchemical substances? I thought there was some form of thing about not being able to create complex substances. I guess the referenced rules allow a craft check, so if the psion is rolling craft check, it is kosher, strictly for plant-based poisons. *sigh*

I would also argue that, by this measure, a lot of alchemical stuff qualifies to be made with this method, as a whole lot of ingredients are derivatives of plants. Poisons that are refined (i.e., crafted poisons, the only useful ones), have a main ingredient of poison but have other stuff mixed in to stabilize the toxin. Thus, alchemist's fire is probably also good, since you make it with oil and pitch and other stuff, some of which come from plants.

Another spell to rewrite.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-02-09 at 08:06 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The classic is of course Black Lotus Extract, from SRD and (I think) DMG.

[Edit]: Also, the Poison Handbook is a must-read for any wannabe poisoner.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2013-02-09 at 08:08 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    The classic is of course Black Lotus Extract, from SRD and (I think) DMG.

[Edit]: Also, the Poison Handbook is a must-read for any wannabe poisoner.
    getting a level 1 shaper to succeed on a DC35 craft poisonmaking check seems pretty unlikely

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    getting a level 1 shaper to succeed on a DC35 craft poisonmaking check seems pretty unlikely
    I seem to be missing where, in either the power description or the spell description which it references, it calls for a craft check to make nonliving plant matter.
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Sadly, optimizing skill checks is one of the easier tasks to accomplish. With first level wealth it will not be easy, but if the whole party gets together to fund it, this isn't a hard plan to put in action.

Now, ofc, something should be said about the alignment implications of running the future campaign off of poison, even if it is essentially free poison. Just make sure you poison the right people, I guess.

EDIT:
    Any poison that is going to be used by anything other than the critter that produces it needs to be crafted (basically, refined, see black lotus extract). Ruling otherwise is just crazy, and opens up further sketchy methods of harvesting poison.

That said, please show me the rules that say this is possible. It sounds sketchy, so it's probably in the RAW somewhere.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-02-09 at 09:44 PM.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    Sadly, optimizing skill checks is one of the easier tasks to accomplish. With first level wealth it will not be easy, but if the whole party gets together to fund it, this isn't a hard plan to put in action.

Now, ofc, something should be said about the alignment implications of running the future campaign off of poison, even if it is essentially free poison. Just make sure you poison the right people, I guess.

EDIT:
    Any poison that is going to be used by anything other than the critter that produces it needs to be crafted (basically, refined, see black lotus extract). Ruling otherwise is just crazy, and opens up further sketchy methods of harvesting poison.

That said, please show me the rules that say this is possible. It sounds sketchy, so it's probably in the RAW somewhere.
    I don't know the rules justification, but the Poison Handbook disagrees.
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

It's still probably a 'complex item' getting the poison part of the plantmatter - otherwise, the craft DC wouldn't be 35: " You must succeed on an appropriate skill check to make a complex item." (But you'd still probably get a stupidly large amount of the stuff)

The Poison Handbook, being a fan creation, has it wrong.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    It sounds sketchy, so it's probably in the RAW somewhere.
    I... I think I want to stick this in my quotesig. May I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Male

There are other poisons which are easy to get. Grind up apple seeds for arsenic. Peach pits for cyanide. Easily DC 5 or less.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    I... I think I want to stick this in my quotesig. May I?
    No problem, go ahead.

Seeds are probably living (dead things can't give rise to life without magic). Though I guess you could specify to create dead seeds, make the craft check after creating them. Not sure how a dead seed would affect the potency of the poison, but even if it was less potent, you could just substitute massive quantity and refine further, probably not increasing the DC by more than 10 (more like raising it by 5 to 10).

I'm beginning to appreciate that most of my players are not as intelligent as the people that have written these guides.
    Last edited by Phelix-Mu; 2013-02-09 at 10:27 PM.

Extended Sigbox

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    There are other poisons which are easy to get. Grind up apple seeds for arsenic. Peach pits for cyanide. Easily DC 5 or less.
    That's unfortunately not how the rules work. You need to look at what the DC for arsenic or cyanide is. Also note that both of those poisons are only really poisonous when ingested- arsenic doesn't really have an in combat use.
    I can do a thousand now.