New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

Beholder

Default Re: Revenge of the true master arcane(COUNTERING FAMOUS OPTIMIZED CHARACTERS BUILDS)

Again , I'm not attacking you the characters are not seeing me . You are being attacked by the Ice Assassin . The Master is safe

Towershield:
    This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are. In most situations, it provides the indicated shield bonus to your AC. However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so. The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.
    When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a –2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance.

no action, detail, I can use any supernatural ability or Still spells when i want or contingency spell.

To recall , the Master of Shadow already know you will cast Disjuntion . It is not a surprise.
    Last edited by ragevillain; 2016-08-18 at 11:56 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Revenge of the true master arcane(COUNTERING FAMOUS OPTIMIZED CHARACTERS BUILDS)

Quote Originally Posted by ragevillain View Post
    Again , I'm not attacking you the characters are not seeing me ...

Towershield:
    However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so.

no action, detail, I can use any supernatural ability or Still spells when i want or contingency spell.
    So now we need to define "attack" vs "action." If I remember my RAW correctly, an attack is any action taken that in some way harms another creature. I'm fairly sure all the spells listed thus far qualify.

Edited for quote relevance.
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2016-08-18 at 12:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

Beholder

That does not stop my actions. This is a fact.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Fine then. The first round of Disjunctions go off without anything happening, because your Tower Shield is teleporting around your body to provide full cover from all of them. At that point, the blasting spells start going off, inevitably destroying your tower shield once you fail to roll a 20 on the save (because the save DC is too high to make). At this point, more Disjunctions start going off, and this time you've got no Tower Shield to protect you. Once the second wave of Disjunctions go off, your Ice Assassin is defenseless magically...at which point more blasting spells begin going off, inevitably killing the Ice Assassin once they fail enough of them. This is all Contingencies, so your spell doesn't go off until after they're all done...and your Ice Assassin will inevitably be dead before that happens.

Limited Wish-->Improvisation gives me 16*googol3 points of luck to work with; even attaching just +1 billion to every roll, I'll have enough uses to be making skill checks until the heat death of the universe. And that's ignoring how I'll have every special sense in existence.

And that's ignoring how I don't even need to find out where you are, because my contingencies triggered by somebody casting that spell close by enough to cast it, so I'll just sprinkle Disjunctions everywhere within range. It's not like I'm ever going to run out of Contingent Disjunctions, because I have Contingent Time Stops waiting to give me a full nights rest to regain my spell slots if I'm ever in danger of having less than a few googol spells.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2016-08-18 at 12:03 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    So now we need to define "attack" vs "action." If I remember my RAW correctly, an attack is any action taken that in some way harms another creature. I'm fairly sure all the spells listed thus far qualify.
    Would you please cite that reading of "attack"? My intuition makes me think it is only includes things with an attack roll (you know, the thing that Tower Shields give a penalty to?).

Were you thinking about what breaks Invisibility or is stopped by Sanctuary? Invisibility defines a strictly internal definition of attack and thus is not relevant to Tower Shield. Sanctuary protects against more than just attacks so I would not cite it either.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2016-08-18 at 12:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Beholder

Its not only Ice Assassin:

Ice Assassin Casting

Greater Arcane Fusion:
    Slot 7: Body Outside Body (12Clones)
    Slot 4: Sanctum Teleport

What is the real target? . In this case already difficult enough.
    Clones uses spell-like celerity and supernatural mage disjunction.
    If you attack my clones, they share Wings of Cover.
    Last edited by ragevillain; 2016-08-18 at 12:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Would you please cite that reading of "attack"? My intuition makes me think it is only includes things with an attack roll (you know, the thing that Tower Shields give a penalty to?).
    This is my understanding as well. I would be interested to see the relevant text.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Its not only Ice Assassin:

Ice Assassin Casting

Greater Arcane Fusion:
    Slot 7: Body Outside Body (12Clones)
    Slot 4: Santuctum Teleport

Clones uses spell-like celerity and supernatural mage disjunction.
    If you attack my clones, they share Wings of Cover.
    Your Ice Assassin only gets to cast those spells after all my contingencies go off, which they won't survive. Oh, you have contingencies that trigger to give you actions if I try that? I have a trillion trillion trillion contingencies for every action you could possibly take, including your own contingencies activating.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, done feeding the troll at this point. Have fun convincing yourself you can somehow beat nigh-uncountable contingencies on the draw.

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

Beholder

Detail, H.I.V.E can not affect the Ice Assassins . U need infinite xp and endless days

Dude, if you want to use endless craft contingency , infinite cohort , each and every ice assassin and clones can use endless actions.

Supernatural Greater Arcane Fusion
    Slot 7: Sanctum Greater Arcane Fusion
    Slor 4: Twin Celerity .
    So we are endless actions.
    So let's stop talking about infinite loops.
    Just show me how TO build will never be real.
    H.I.V.E can use infinite Mage Disjuntion and continue without any effect.
    Last edited by ragevillain; 2016-08-18 at 12:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Were you thinking about what breaks Invisibility or is stopped by Sanctuary? Invisibility defines a strictly internal definition of attack and thus is not relevant to Tower Shield. Sanctuary protects against more than just attacks so I would not cite it either.
    Afb at work. Will track it down when I get home in about 5 hours.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Yeah, done feeding the troll at this point. Have fun convincing yourself you can somehow beat nigh-uncountable contingencies on the draw.
    Another successful lord draco thread!

*Munches Popcorn*
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Another successful lord draco thread!

*Munches Popcorn*
    Ah.... No one wants the fudge I mentioned last page.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Afb at work. Will track it down when I get home in about 5 hours.
    Thank you. I hope your day goes smoothly.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you. I hope your day goes smoothly.
    Awww. You're my new favorite. Thanks mate.
    Last edited by Buufreak; 2016-08-18 at 12:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Just stopping by momentarily --

As far as I can recall, the closest definition to attack I remember coming across in my reading is from the Invisibility spell, which states...

"The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe."

Not the most helpful definition, but hey, maybe it helps.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post

As far as I can recall, the closest definition to attack I remember coming across in my reading is from the Invisibility spell, which states...

"The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe."

good definition
    But for that spell, in the case of towershield it is clear that refers to physical combat .
    Last edited by ragevillain; 2016-08-18 at 12:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Firbolg in the Playground

good definition
    But for that spell, in the case of towershield it is clear that refers to physical combat .
    Not necessarily. A tower shield makes no clarification on the word "attack", so Demidos' given definition is probably correct. Either that, or the one from Sanctuary, which is the same thing. Besides, I'm pretty sure that casting as hostile spell is pretty attack-y either way.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

Beholder

Good , but it does not matter . Because Craft Contingency spell can not target the enemy.
    Pag 140 complete arcane :
    Once triggered , the spell take immediate effect upon the bearer contingency (Or is centered in the bearer 's squere if the spell Affect an area).
    If the enemie use mage disjunction as craft contingent spell, he will disjoin himself.
    Last edited by ragevillain; 2016-08-18 at 12:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Good , but it does not matter . Because Craft Contingency spell can not target the enemy.
    Pag 140 complete arcane :
    Once triggered , the spell take immediate effect upon the bearer contingency (Or is centered in the bearer 's squere if the spell Affect an area).
    If the enemie use mage disjunction as craft contingent spell, he will disjoin himself.
    The Contingency spell (which can be Reserves of Strength'd to work with spells of any level) does not contain similar language, but states "the spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person".

I'm not in agreement with OP on any points they try to make based on this, but I am curious about how the HIVE and/or any other build gets around those limits, if it is possible to do so.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    The Contingency spell (which can be Reserves of Strength'd to work with spells of any level) does not contain similar language, but states "the spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person".

I'm not in agreement with OP on any points they try to make based on this, but I am curious about how the HIVE and/or any other build gets around those limits, if it is possible to do so.
    It doesn't. They don't. All the TO builds are just as ridiculous and poor rules-definition dependent as LordDrako's ultimate abbed sorcerer. The Lord of Shadows is no more ridiculous than HIVE or Tippy or any of the others. Although, he excels in using AS MANY DIFFERENT ridiculous rulings as its possible to use instead of focusing on getting the most out of just one. The only reason LordDrako's build doesn't get put on the shelf with the other TO builds is because of how violently and silly he defends it in his threads and how angry he gets the forum regulars who he baits into confrontation.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Demidos View Post

Bolded for emphasis. That rather specific and explicit qualifier makes me think it is a strictly internal definition of "attack".

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Not necessarily. A tower shield makes no clarification on the word "attack", so Demidos' given definition is probably correct. Either that, or the one from Sanctuary, which is the same thing. Besides, I'm pretty sure that casting as hostile spell is pretty attack-y either way.
    See above about the strictly internal definition in Invisibility.
    I mentioned that Sanctuary stops more than just attacks, so my reading of it does not see it as defining attack.

However I agree that showing neither Invisibility nor Sanctuary are relevant definitions would not prove the extent of what is the relevant definition for Tower Shield. Hence why I am patiently waiting for Buufreak's examination of his books tonight. (Although my intuition is that Tower Shield considers something an attack if it has an attack roll).
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2016-08-18 at 01:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

Beholder

Man, I do not know who is lord dark . Second, Master of Shadow is not changing any rules. I'm giving page and book for everybody see .
    This is a Practical Build , it is cheap (no items or cost) and has no infinite loop.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Banned

Beholder

However I agree that showing neither Invisibility nor Sanctuary are relevant definitions would not prove the extent of what is the relevant definition for Tower Shield. Hence why I am patiently waiting for Buufreak's examination of his books tonight. (Although my intuition is that Tower Shield considers something an attack if it has an attack roll).
    I think it has to do with attack roll. That seems kind of obvious .

25. - Top - End - #115

So... Wail of the Banshee wouldn't be an 'attack'? Or Fireball? And a lot of monster entries have 'special' attacks that don't involve any rolls on their part.
    Throw the dice high.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh, how wrong you are.

As just one of many examples - swarms unambiguously attack, and also unambiguously never roll attack rolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Beholder

Well, all the doubts that exist, I am against my interpretation and accepting in the enemy's advantage.
    I can not cast offensive actions.
    Soon, Greater Arcane Fusion is a personal target. I can use without problem.
    Including creating clones next to me.
    They can also cast spell-like Wings of Cover ( Sharing with me ).
    It works the same way as the TowerShield . And still confuses the enemy.

Do you agree?
    Last edited by ragevillain; 2016-08-18 at 01:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Oh, how wrong you are.

As just one of many examples - swarms unambiguously attack, and also unambiguously never roll attack rolls.
    I'd argue that is hundreds/thousands of attacks that would have individual attack rolls but it has been simplified. Though, I acknowledge this holds no water in a RAW discussion.

It works the same way as the TowerShield . And still confuses the enemy.

Do you agree?
    I'm certainly confused.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Can we jump straight to the 'formal tournament' stage of the discussion, instead of waiting fifty pages ? It'd be interested to see what various builds can do. As per ragevillain's own contest rules, infinite loops and epic levels are banned, and Dragon Magazine, but everything else is in, including optional mechanics like taint (that's going to be hugely problematic, but hey, it means you can use bloodline cheese with impunity).
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2016-08-18 at 01:55 PM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ComaVision View Post
    I'd argue that is hundreds/thousands of attacks that would have individual attack rolls but it has been simplified.
    Surely many attack rolls should be simplified to one attack roll, rather than none?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting