New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435365176 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Shouldn't the Canadians be with the British, since they are part of the Commonwealth Realms ?
    I'd rather be with the Australians.
    But the Brit team is better than the American team.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

I beg to differ, Lemming. Who won the Revolutionary War? I think America did. Criticize Americans all you want, but Americans fight for Freedom! :bigggrin:
    Last edited by Falgorn; 2009-03-28 at 06:07 PM.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

3. - Top - End - #753
    Troll in the Playground

The next person who criticizes America is getting a boot up somewere they don't want it to be.
    ____

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    The next person who criticizes America is getting a boot up somewere they don't want it to be.
    Why should I criticise America ? There are too many countries in it to write a specific criticism. The only nation I really mind in America is the United States.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

The Brits are cool and awesome with humor I don't really get while the Americans (of the United States of America) are stupid but cool, so I am not sure which team to join...
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    The Brits are cool and awesome with humor I don't really get while the Americans (of the United States of America) are stupid but cool, so I am not sure which team to join...
    *shoves a boot in your mouth* I told you so.
    Last edited by CrimsonAngel; 2009-03-28 at 08:11 PM.
    ____

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    Well, you're ostensibly from California, so you're in the United States, so you used to be a part of the American colonies, which were part of the British Empire.

So you should join the Brits and honour your heritage.

And Falgorn, I'm about to dispute your statement but I recognise that, as a Brit, I may be a biased source.

Consider the possible outcomes:
    • The US wins: They separate from the Empire, the Empire gets someone new to trade with, so all the resources with none of the manpower.
    • The Empire wins: They have to resettle the colonies, so lots of manpower and money needed, and they have to suffer long-lasting resentment from survivors
    Meaning, if we (The Brits) had actually wiped the US out (Which, I add, we were entirely capable of doing) it still would have been less beneficial than if we just let them go.

So, I put forward the possibility that: The US didn't "win", so much as the Empire let the US live.
    Last edited by Lyinginbedmon; 2009-03-28 at 08:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    So you should join the Brits and honour your heritage.
    Actually, I was born in Hungary, and all my relatives live in Hungary or places that used to be part of Hungary, *coughsomewhereinRomaniacough* So I wouldn't be "honour"ing any heritage at all by joining the Brits.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    So, I put forward the possibility that: The US didn't "win", so much as the Empire let the US live.
    The United State's win condition was satisfied, so yes, we won.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

10. - Top - End - #760

Crimson, can your 'American Honor'. Even most of us understand ourselves to be ignorant fools, so just admit it like the rest of us and stop being proud of being ignorant. It's not that I hate my country, but we've got some major problems that really bug me.

A lot of Americans are very ignorant; it's pretty painful to have to even live in the same country as them. Well, thank god for private schools and suburban living... Though I still have to listen to a lot of BS at school from political morons...

Our reputation, if we ever had one, has been shattered on numerous occasions by our foreign decisions as of late...

Now our mask of power has shattered, and we are revealed to be the morons that we are! Apparently the average American has only 100 IQ, and gets a 2.0 GPA... Which means we must have many, many people must be below the average to compensate for those of us way above it (not to sound cocky/pompous, but that's very low in both cases)...

Though I've been told the British system of education is ridiculously easy by my cousin who spent a semester studying abroad... He brought us back many delicious candies and foods.

Now I think I'm done randomly jumping around and changing subjects. What were we talking about again?

EDIT: And the British team is screwed. See, we know all about our enemy, seeing as one of us is more British than anyone on the British team (Mechafox). All he has to do is state his own weaknesses and we will be good to go for taking out stereotypical opponents!
    Last edited by Wreckingrocc; 2009-03-28 at 10:39 PM.
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Troll in the Playground

I used to go to a private school. Now I'm at a public school.
    ____

12. - Top - End - #762

Imp

Not that I disagree with you TnD, but you really need to watch the politics, lest the hammer of mod smash down upon your face. They never wash that thing. It's all covered in dirt and blood.

Also, isn't an IQ of 100 supposed to be average?
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

13. - Top - End - #763

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    I used to go to a private school. Now I'm at a public school.
    Ouch. That's gotta be an awful transition...

American public schools in my area are pretty terrible. How to describe it... If one person in the class doesn't grasp the material, the entire class falls back until that person can learn it. Now factor in that some people are naturally smarter than others, with large variation, and some don't care about learning, and don't apply themselves. What's the result? One year of learning what was, for me, absolutely nothing. I can honestly say that a combination of learning random snippet lessons from my parents and brother and the private school I'd gone to in Hawaii before moving back to the mainland had taught me everything that I would have learned had I stayed there an extra year.

This was Kindergarten, but it still speaks for the system. They learn to count, I learn relatively simple exponents. Something is wrong.

Public schools suck.

EDIT: As for politics, I tried to state 'political morons' in an open-ended sort of way so as not to offend either side... I must've really messed up with the presidential commentary

100 IQ is supposed to be average, but I've yet to meet a single person whose IQ is below 120.
    Last edited by Wreckingrocc; 2009-03-28 at 10:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #764

It all depends on where your school is located and what kind of teachers it has you know.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

15. - Top - End - #765

Sorry for the crazy posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    It all depends on where your school is located and what kind of teachers it has you know.
    Oh, I know. And the Detroit area public schools suck. I've learned that much. My brother's teacher kept trying to compare my brother to her own children in a very biased sense due to issues of pride. I haven't really attended public schools anywhere else, but I have friends who all have similar stories. I have one friend who just moved from Arkansas who was amazed at our level of freedom at our school.

I don't think I would survive public school were I to go back. It was such an awful experience I'm starting to generalize.
    Last edited by Wreckingrocc; 2009-03-28 at 10:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

Actualy, my math class is reviewing things I never even learned in private schools, plus everyone has little songs and stuff to help them remember it. All I have is memorization. I caught up though.
    ____

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ettin in the Playground

I vote we hush the politically-natured discussion. ABR Discussion threads should only die at page 50.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, in public schools, they usually offer classes for smarter people anyways, like honors, PreAP, or AP. I'm one of the smarter people, so next year I'll be taking PreCalculus Honors, English 2 PreAP, Physics B AP, and European History AP. Others will be taking geometry and CP classes...

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    I'd rather be with the Australians.
    But the Brit team is better than the American team.
    o/~ Rule Britannia; Britannia rule the waves.
    Britons never, never, never shall be slaves .o/~

And I believe that sorts out that. I don't think I'm the only Australian ABRer, but I'm certainly the only one I remember.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #770
    Colossus in the Playground

I hate stereotypes.
    Whenever I recieve knowledge that breaks one, the aformented knowledge ALWAYS creates a different one.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Randomizer View Post
    I hate stereotypes.
    Whenever I recieve knowledge that breaks one, the aformented knowledge ALWAYS creates a different one.
    You hate stereotypes but always create a new one whenever you meet someone who doesn't conform to existing knowledge of their stereotype?

Still:
    o/~The nations not so blest as thee,
    Must in their turn to tyrants fall,
    Must in their turn to tyrants fall;
    While thou shalt flourish, shalt flourish great and free,
    The dread and envy of them all.
    Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves:
    Britons never, never, never will be slaves.o/~

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    o/~ Rule Britannia; Britannia rule the waves.
    Britons never, never, never shall be slaves .o/~

And I believe that sorts out that. I don't think I'm the only Australian ABRer, but I'm certainly the only one I remember.
    Uhm Denmark beat Britain in the first (and later destroyed our fleet BEFORE we entered WW2 EDIT: It was before the French revolution, Denmark was in an alliance that could end with them being Englands enemy, Denmark would then be a too big danger so England destroyed the fleet before we did anything) and held Britons as slaves (and Franks and a lot other people).

@TnD: I've only met four people at my school who I would believe to have 100 or more IQ ('cept myself of course) one changed to private school, another to a better public school, one's just twelve and the last I barely know. The cause of why you meet so few dumb people is that they don't come at private schools. Our classes do work different by the way (if one has trouble then they give him/her a helping teacher and I'm ahead (the other who get ahead don't wanna do more) my teacher give me more stuff to do, mostly it's actually harder than the original stuff)

For the non-canon battle Britain/America thing: Do we just use normal powers and stuff or themed stuff (Independence war, WW1 or WW2) the later would make it less like the "I have a gun, I have a bazooka, I have apocalypse spell, I have a better one, etc." just a thought.
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-03-29 at 05:20 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

23. - Top - End - #773

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    You hate stereotypes but always create a new one whenever you meet someone who doesn't conform to existing knowledge of their stereotype?
    Why do you have to argue with every single thing I say?

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

tongue Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

We don't argue with everything you say
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

25. - Top - End - #775

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    We don't argue with everything you say
    Not you, you're okay (for now)

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Not you, you're okay (for now)
    Well, thank you Now stop being so nitchpicking Keris
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Barbarian in the Playground

For the non-canon battle Britain/America thing: Do we just use normal powers and stuff or themed stuff (Independence war, WW1 or WW2) the later would make it less like the "I have a gun, I have a bazooka, I have apocalypse spell, I have a better one, etc." just a thought.
    Themes would be quite hard to do because there was only really one war that briton fought against US in and I doubt everyone will want to use the sort of weapons from that period. However it's not a bad idea for the future.

Also i'm gonna start making a list of the two teams so can you say which team you want to be in. And if you want their could be an australian team that has the canadians in, or you could just choose between Britain and the US, It's your choice.
    Awsome avvie by Fayt
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    *vows never to be a jerk again*
    The Fire Within:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Uhm Denmark beat Britain in the first (and later destroyed our fleet BEFORE we entered WW2 EDIT: It was before the French revolution, Denmark was in an alliance that could end with them being Englands enemy, Denmark would then be a too big danger so England destroyed the fleet before we did anything) and held Britons as slaves (and Franks and a lot other people).
    First what? Please elaborate, as from the context you seem to be referring to the First World War, which not only was won by Entente Powers, which includes Britain, but Denmark was a neutral nation, lacking the military strength necessary to join the conflict.
    And I assume that the alliance you then refer to is the Second League of Armed Neutrality, which was intended to prevent Britain from searching ships during wartime to prevent the smuggling of goods to France, who we were at war with at the time.
    The League was viewed by Britain to be in the interests of France, a serious threat to British Naval superiority, and so a form of alliance with an enemy nation. Following multiple failed attempts at diplomacy, Britain took action against the League with the action now known as the Battle of Copenhagen, which was hardly "before [Denmark] did anything".
    The Danish fleet was well fortified, having had time to prepare while the British fleet, commanded by Admiral Sir Hyde Parker approached, and had fitted all availably hulks with cannon to form a line of floating batteries. The battle was reportedly the hardest fought by his second in command, Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson. This action was the one in which Nelson famously, having been signalled to retreat, raised the telescope to his blind eye and said "I really do not see the signal".

Because I see logical flaws in everything you say.

Well, thank you Now stop being so nitchpicking Keris
    The term would be "nitpicky", and is derived from the act of "nit-picking", in which headlice (which I believe the Americans refer to as "cooties") would be painstakingly removed from someone's head by hand, and so by extension can refer to the act of finding small faults, particularly if the faults are insignificant.
    And my nature as a pedant is neither something I can change easily, nor intend to do so at any point in the near future.

o/~Still more majestic shalt thou rise,
    More dreadful from each foreign stroke,
    More dreadful from each foreign stroke;
    As the loud blast that, loud blast that tears the skies,
    Serves but to root thy native oak.
    Britons never will be slaves.o/~

29. - Top - End - #779

then let me be flawed!

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

First what? Please elaborate, as from the context you seem to be referring to the First World War, which not only was won by Entente Powers, which includes Britain, but Denmark was a neutral nation, lacking the military strength necessary to join the conflict.
    And I assume that the alliance you then refer to is the Second League of Armed Neutrality, which was intended to prevent Britain from searching ships during wartime to prevent the smuggling of goods to France, who we were at war with at the time.
    The League was viewed by Britain to be in the interests of France, a serious threat to British Naval superiority, and so a form of alliance with an enemy nation. Following multiple failed attempts at diplomacy, Britain took action against the League with the action now known as the Battle of Copenhagen, which was hardly "before [Denmark] did anything".
    The Danish fleet was well fortified, having had time to prepare while the British fleet, commanded by Admiral Sir Hyde Parker approached, and had fitted all availably hulks with cannon to form a line of floating batteries. The battle was reportedly the hardest fought by his second in command, Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson. This action was the one in which Nelson famously, having been signalled to retreat, raised the telescope to his blind eye and said "I really do not see the signal".

The term would be "nitpicky", and is derived from the act of "nit-picking", in which headlice (which I believe the Americans refer to as "cooties") would be painstakingly removed from someone's head by hand, and so by extension can refer to the act of finding small faults, particularly if the faults are insignificant.
    And my nature as a pedant is neither something I can change easily, nor intend to do so at any point in the near future.

o/~Still more majestic shalt thou rise,
    More dreadful from each foreign stroke,
    More dreadful from each foreign stroke;
    As the loud blast that, loud blast that tears the skies,
    Serves but to root thy native oak.
    Britons never will be slaves.o/~
    I was reffering to the song (rule the waves and never be slaves) And the fleet was destroyed at Napoleons time by lord Nelson to avoid having to fight it and the rest of France's allies (which Denmark weren't.. Yet) paradoxically causing Denmark to join France. The slave one was about vikings (who enslaved britons)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.