New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Anyone a fan of Deegan themed death/doom metal?

Lyrics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    see now the plains of maltak
    the nakta spews forth
    pierce the veil
    death is home
    shattered hopes
    know how it slumbers
    nothing left
    just wastelands

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLIV: Stunt Bro and Hella Jayden

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Anyone a fan of Deegan themed death/doom metal?

Lyrics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    see now the plains of maltak
    the nakta spews forth
    pierce the veil
    death is home
    shattered hopes
    know how it slumbers
    nothing left
    just wastelands
    I'm thinking a lot about death and doom now. So maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

3. - Top - End - #573

The only metal song that Maltak deserves is this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #574
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The only metal song that Maltak deserves is this one.
    What's great is that, given Oblivion Folder's repertoire, that's exactly the sort of song they would sing.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

5. - Top - End - #575

GnomeWizardGuy

The only song to properly fit Maltak is this one.

Also the comic as a whole.

6. - Top - End - #576

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    Link for completion's sake.

Not that anyone really cares about chibi Bort.
    Did not know Anime Boston was last week. Would've been nice to swing by it while I was there.
    Last edited by AgentofOdd; 2012-04-09 at 09:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #577

GnomeWizardGuy

We now return, via Sneaky Gate, to the plot
    (Future Link)

...or rather we will, eventually, at some future date, once our protagonists have made all appropriate preparations.

It's the third panel that makes this strip feel completely off because this stock cliche doesn't work in this situation. They're doing a lunar divination, not embarking on a dangerous quest. Unless Milov first sells the idea that there's risk to scrying these archwizards then that doesn't make any sense, other than to puff up the resident Mookie Sue for no reason.

Anyway, back to the standard forumla of relying on scries to do any plot movement in this comic whatsoever...

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

We now return, via Sneaky Gate, to the plot
    (Future Link)

...or rather we will, eventually, at some future date, once our protagonists have made all appropriate preparations.

It's the third panel that makes this strip feel completely off because this stock cliche doesn't work in this situation. They're doing a lunar divination, not embarking on a dangerous quest. Unless Milov first sells the idea that there's risk to scrying these archwizards then that doesn't make any sense, other than to puff up the resident Mookie Sue for no reason.

Anyway, back to the standard forumla of relying on scries to do any plot movement in this comic whatsoever...
    It's a good thing someone says the archmages are dangerous, because we don't really see it in any way in the plot.

And who was it here that said just a few strips ago that he likes Katya's looks on Jayden because they express emotions in a subtle way without words?
    Looks like Mookie fixed that for you.

9. - Top - End - #579

I love how vacant Jayden looks throughout that whole conversation. You'd think she'd have comments, what with it being her experiences they're discussing, but nope! Menfolk are talking.

Seriously, why doesn't she mention the necklace, which was apparently the impetus for all of the this. Milov and Nimmel seem to be lacking context that would help clarify what is going on.
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2012-04-09 at 11:26 PM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

10. - Top - End - #580

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Seriously, why doesn't she mention the necklace, which was a pparently the impetus for all of the this. Milov and Nimmel seems to be lacking context that would help clarify what is going on.
    Yeah, I've also got no idea why they're bothering with this "lunar divination" thing. The obvious action for everyone is to contact Miranda, the former archmage who will get the necklace eventually once Stunt gets his act together and who might have a clue what's going on. But I guess Mookie wanted to do another arc about his Nimmel self-insert and so we're back in werewolf land.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    I love how vacant Jayden looks throughout that whole conversation. You'd think she'd have comments, what with it being her experiences they're discussing, but nope! Menfolk are talking.
    ...why do I have the urge to make a Chobits slay now?

Well, commission one

Personally, I'm excited about the Continued Adventures of Irresponsible Captain Milov who is totally fine with having his Runt Retainer hang out around Jayden while constantly on the verge of doing horrific violence upon her. It is nearly comic that only Nimmel seems to care about the vaudeville routine going on between the women in which one wants to rip out the throat of the other.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #582
    Bugbear in the Playground

I love how Katya's performing an evolved form of the good ol' fangface.

Other than that, I don't have much to say about this new page. Eh.
    LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I've also got no idea why they're bothering with this "lunar divination" thing. The obvious action for everyone is to contact Miranda, the former archmage who will get the necklace eventually once Stunt gets his act together and who might have a clue what's going on. But I guess Mookie wanted to do another arc about his Nimmel self-insert and so we're back in werewolf land.
    Rilian told Jayden specifically to let Milov know about this.
    It was never explained why of course, but it was a specific destination and not just a diversion to help Stunt go to Miranda Alstone.

Since the part where Jayden telling Milov about the events was skipped, I'm also guessing the necklace was mentioned.

How is Lunar divination supposed to help, and why is it risky?
    How should we know? It's not like any element of divination was ever explained.

14. - Top - End - #584

GnomeWizardGuy

What's annoying me is that there's plenty of reasonable explanations that could be made as to why Rilian wanted to get Milov's help specifically, and why Milov immediately decides to do a divination to find out more info. But we aren't given any.

Instead we get:
    • Thursday's comic: "Get Nimmel's help for a lunar divination".
    • Friday's comic: "Get Nimmel's help for a lunar divination".
    • Today's comic: "Get Nimmel's help for a lunar divination".

Mookie has a gift for spinning nothing as far as possible and then some.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    And who was it here that said just a few strips ago that he likes Katya's looks on Jayden because they express emotions in a subtle way without words?
    Looks like Mookie fixed that for you.
    That would be me...anybody have a fork and knife? I've got some words that need eating.

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    How is Lunar divination supposed to help, and why is it risky?
    How should we know? It's not like any element of divination was ever explained.
    How it's supposed to help against an Archmage who *should* have protections against this kind of thing, I have no idea. Maybe we'll see some fancy "DnD" type of thing where they don't actually try to scry Masutel, but only the places where he's supposedly been evildoing for the last few years?

The risky part is actually the most obvious to me: they're attempting to scry on an Archmage. To reiterate, they're trying to use magic, relatively uncultivated magic, to spy on a master of the magical arts. Any archmage worth his weight in *dirt* should be able to backtrace a magical scry conducted on his/herself, barring strange rules about how magic works in this world. Or that somehow "lunar" divination is different enough to pass unnoticed, despite being a relatively unobscure form of magic (completely unlike sword-scrying, which is, naturally, completely different from the normal thing). Of course, here I use the word "ought" again, and we can all see the fatal flawed assumption.

Instead we get:
    • Thursday's comic: "Get Nimmel's help for a lunar divination".
    • Friday's comic: "Get Nimmel's help for a lunar divination".
    • Today's comic: "Get Nimmel's help for a lunar divination".

Mookie has a gift for spinning nothing as far as possible and then some.
    Normally this kind of thing doesn't bother me, but you're definately right, this could have been wrapped up a lot easier. Heck, we could have started today's comic with Nimmel and Milov about to perform the divination, and gotten some little dialogue to the effect of:

Milov: "Are you sure you want to go through with this, Nimmel? Attempting to scry on an archmage is going to be dangerous"
    Nimmel: "I'm sure. You can count on me."
    Milov: "Then let's begin."

3-4 panels, tops.
    Last edited by Voice of Reason; 2012-04-10 at 01:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    So, where does he get the rapier from? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Elan owns two rapiers. His first rapier was stolen by Nale when he impersonated Elan. He got a second rapier from Julio Scoundrél as a gift. Then, he retrieved his original rapier when he defeated Nale and reclaimed all of his equipment.

HA!

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

Is Milov supposed to love all Callanians and feel ashamed about his own culture? Think about it, he sleeps with his Callanian waifu, had a Callanian best friend and always pats Nimmel on the back. Plus, despite being one of the leaders of this nation, he hung out in Callan doing nothing.

Saying "you're a better werewolf than most werewolves" is basically saying Nimmel is more of a man. I'm sure if you go to his bedroom it'd be full of Mighty Man comics and Altered Asses.

Milov: Werewolf otaku?

They're abusing a hack. As Mookie insuerts having a conversation with each other, they can constantly pat each other on the back and increase their power/smug level indefinitely. Like a sue echochamber.

17. - Top - End - #587

Bonus question what kind of choice is this Milov
    "Oh, so an omnipotent space-ray attacked the man who literally invented a fourth of all known magic, and it's somehow related to the closest thing this world's had to a messiah. The necromancer guy talked about how the fate of nations - literally millions of people - is at stake here. But, y'know, if you want to sit this one out champ, go ahead. I know hanging around college werewolves is kind of a thing."
    Milov's just rolling out the shame spell here, you heard it from me first.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

18. - Top - End - #588

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Milov: Werewolf otaku?
    Pretty much. Regular werewolves think Callanians are sub-runts - Nimmel couldn't win an arm wrestle with Katya. Bunch of wusses.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    But if he didn't ask, how could he diplomatically point out how awesome Nimmel is?

Also, from the newspost: Why Mookie named this guy "Feenix" and then gave him ice powers escapes me.

If Nimmel dies, Mookie please don't make reincarnate him as Baby Nimmel.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2012-04-10 at 06:50 AM.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    "Oh, so an omnipotent space-ray attacked the man who literally invented a fourth of all known magic, and it's somehow related to the closest thing this world's had to a messiah. The necromancer guy talked about how the fate of nations - literally millions of people - is at stake here. But, y'know, if you want to sit this one out champ, go ahead. I know hanging around college werewolves is kind of a thing."
    Milov's just rolling out the shame spell here, you heard it from me first.
    I think it is a honest question, and not a guilt trip.

After all, the kid can't be the only Callanian mage around.
    Even if he is, without any specific time limit and after Jayden spent so many days of travel, surely calling another Callanian on the phone crystal ball can't delay the ceremony by much.
    And why do they keep ignoring teleportation spells?!

Besides, it's not like the arch-mage is a threat. He didn't even TRY to chase the two humans that ran away from him.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

Also, from the newspost: Why Mookie named this guy "Feenix" and then gave him ice powers escapes me.

If Nimmel dies, Mookie please don't make reincarnate him as Baby Nimmel.
    Given his vegetarian orcs and alcoholic halfllings, I wouldn't be surprised if he went the way of Tvtropes writing and made the phoenix an ice bird in his setting, just to be different.

Maybe he comes from a long line of fire mages and that's why his parents hate him. Fire jock dad hates Ice nerd son.

EDIT: I forgot how hilarious it is that Nimmel went to the Archipelago to bully werewolves and got a medal for it.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2012-04-10 at 07:51 AM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

For the same reason his Orcs are vegetarians -- to be "different"

On an unrelated note: I like how Mookie is renaming Snowsong "Supergreg." After all, why would you name an Arc after the villain (even if it is a Mookie self-insert). Also, I'm morbidly curious how Mookie would have re-written that Arc, given his current writing habits.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

It baffles me that he's still proud of Supergreg. Not "not utterly ashamed." Actually proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    For the same reason his Orcs are vegetarians -- to be "different"

On an unrelated note: I like how Mookie is renaming Snowsong "Supergreg." After all, why would you name an Arc after the villain (even if it is a Mookie self-insert). Also, I'm morbidly curious how Mookie would have re-written that Arc, given his current writing habits.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He would find a way to make it worse.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie's Newpost
    links,
    Links,
    LINKS

(paraphrased)
    Why the hell does he keep linking back all the time? Does he think no one remembers? Are we lacking some vital context for this non-action? I can't stand how much Mookie's been doing it lately.

It feels like a kind of self-gratification to me; He keeps showing the internets how long he's been doing this and how many other arcs he's stumbled through, semi-congratulating himself for it.

It's like he's Sega, DD is Sonic, and they've hit the point of Sonic generations.
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    Why the hell does he keep linking back all the time? Does he think no one remembers? Are we lacking some vital context for this non-action? I can't stand how much Mookie's been doing it lately. .
    Eh, I don't mind. It's actually a rather nice service, considering how long the comic has been running. I bet most readers forget those things after a year or so.

Not all readers are obsessed snarkers, y'know
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Eh, I don't mind. It's actually a rather nice service, considering how long the comic has been running. I bet most readers forget those things after a year or so.

Then they aren't doing it right. *snarkersnob*
    If Ignorance is bliss, I'll take suffering any day.
    -Annonymous

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post

It's also a good service for snarkers since it makes is easier to find inconsistencies.
    Pity he doesn't read his own comic as often as he posts links to it.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

To be fair, every other time Dominic tries to scry something, it mentally attacks him. Divinations are, canonically, dangerous. And the source of a distressing number of "action scenes" in this comic. Using an aspect of nature as a focus instead of a man-made crystal ball (or sword) just adds in more potential variables.

Every other complaint still stands, though. The level of skipping ahead randomly and disjointedly followed by pointless padding so far this year has been...impressive.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-04-10 at 11:45 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

28. - Top - End - #598
    Colossus in the Playground

What I want to know is, why is everyone at peace with the cheating harlot? Including herself. Its like she never cheated on milov, he never tore out her throat, and he definitely didnt blow up her church. The only one who seems to recall any of this is the runt. Other than her its like the entire arc never happened. I could see them working past their separate uneasy feelings in order to work together for the greater good, but they are acting like its old times again and nothing bad ever happened.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

29. - Top - End - #599

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdhale View Post
    Why the hell does he keep linking back all the time? Does he think no one remembers? Are we lacking some vital context for this non-action? I can't stand how much Mookie's been doing it lately.
    My guess is that he's seen Sluggy Freelance and El Goonish Shive do it, so he figures he might as well do it.

Personally, I'm with Glass Mouse. It's potentially handy and doesn't detract from the comic. (What detracts from the comic is the rest of the newspost and, of course, the comic itself. Well, actually, pretty much everything on the web page detracts from the comic, except these reference links.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

30. - Top - End - #600
    Dwarf in the Playground

When I saw this strip I knew I had been preparing my whole day just for this moment. GIMP crashed on me 3 times in the process of making this, enjoy.

Spoiler
    Show

Ironically, making this actually improved my mood given that today has been rough. Go figure.