New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mystic Muse's Magnificent Masquerade Random Banter #225

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You were expecting maybe Calculon?
    Excuse me, I said good actors. Shots fired.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Some personal advice; "I'm not criticizing you for doing x bad thing" is still criticizing, just with a pompous air. And for the record I'm not falling into the trap. Where did I say they're less refined? They're just heavier weapons. There's still a lot of art and swordplay in how I treat the standard european style weaponry. They are after all really good swords for a reason. The only real difference is that, for lack of a better term, Katana's are a dex weapon and Bastard Sword's are strength weapons. That feels legitimate and intuitive, even if real world wise it's not true. Both are equally elegant as a killing art.
    Uhhhhh....

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Pretty sure Anon meant "I'm not saying you fell into the trap of..."
    Yeah that.

Yeah that's probably a misread and overreaction on my part. Nothing twigs me off more than stuff like that so I can be a bit... what's the opposite of trigger shy?

My apologies, AnonWizard!
    That's fine, I should have been slightly clearer. I get these kind of misunderstandings all the time, apparently it's not normal to tell your friend that you love them (what? Platonic love is a thing, and I think we should start using the word in that sense more often!).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Excuse me, I said good actors. Shots fired.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Uhhhhh....

Yeah that.

That's fine, I should have been slightly clearer. I get these kind of misunderstandings all the time, apparently it's not normal to tell your friend that you love them (what? Platonic love is a thing, and I think we should start using the word in that sense more often!).
    Like I said, sorry for the overacting. Lawyer is up today so I'm a bit on edge.

Strong agree on that. I love my friends!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, Calculon just doesn't do anything for this gynoid. Try again some other time with some less ham, or more comedy.
    (I never really liked the Calculon segments of the show that much. Was never quite as funny as other times.)

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Like I said, sorry for the overacting. Lawyer is up today so I'm a bit on edge.
    It's fine. Honestly I'd rather people overreact a tad, makes emotions easier to read.

Strong agree on that. I love my friends!
    And yet many people look at me weirdly if I say it. What's so wrong with us that people ate willing to use love instead of lust but get confused once the very idea of platonic love is brought up?

Like, I love my friends, I'd fight for any of them if I thought they were hurt, andI'm more than willing to indulge in intimacy with them. Uh, better clarify something.

Spoiler
    Show
    To me intimacy and sex are two related but distinct things. Sex is the insertion of tab B into slot A and the things surrounding that, intimacy is simply extended touch. I know that many people use intimacy to man sex, but I can't think that way, to me hugging is an intimate thing that I have to trust somebody to do, and I'm uncomfortable holding hands with most people. So when I say 'I'm willing to indulge in intimacy' I don't mean sex or foreplay or anything like that, I just mean extended and possibly skin to skin contact.

Heck, I can want to **** somebody and be uncomfortable of any physical contact with them, it makes avoiding stupid decisions that little bit easier.

I'm going to go over there before I start embarrassing myself to death.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

And yet many people look at me weirdly if I say it. What's so wrong with us that people ate willing to use love instead of lust but get confused once the very idea of platonic love is brought up?
    For people like me, love was basically drilled into me as, like, close romantic soulmate sort of thing. So, I... never really say the word. At all. Like, it's a really strong, specific feeling in my frame of reference, so I very much don't feel comfortable using it in the way of platonic love or whatever - even though I fully understand and accept that same meaning when used by other people.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's fine. Honestly I'd rather people overreact a tad, makes emotions easier to read.

Like, I love my friends, I'd fight for any of them if I thought they were hurt, andI'm more than willing to indulge in intimacy with them. Uh, better clarify something.

Spoiler
    Show
    To me intimacy and sex are two related but distinct things. Sex is the insertion of tab B into slot A and the things surrounding that, intimacy is simply extended touch. I know that many people use intimacy to man sex, but I can't think that way, to me hugging is an intimate thing that I have to trust somebody to do, and I'm uncomfortable holding hands with most people. So when I say 'I'm willing to indulge in intimacy' I don't mean sex or foreplay or anything like that, I just mean extended and possibly skin to skin contact.

Heck, I can want to **** somebody and be uncomfortable of any physical contact with them, it makes avoiding stupid decisions that little bit easier.

I'm going to go over there before I start embarrassing myself to death.
    Freud. Starting with him is became common to classify all relationships as frustrated sexual ones, like Achilles and his cousin being lovers instead of best friends and family members.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

For people like me, love was basically drilled into me as, like, close romantic soulmate sort of thing. So, I... never really say the word. At all. Like, it's a really strong, specific feeling in my frame of reference, so I very much don't feel comfortable using it in the way of platonic love or whatever - even though I fully understand and accept that same meaning when used by other people.
    Yeah, basically this.

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Freud. Starting with him is became common to classify all relationships as frustrated sexual ones, like Achilles and his cousin being lovers instead of best friends and family members.
    And let's just say there's a reason Freud's name is so similar to fraud.

(ignoring the fact that he himself said sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, it's very clear he's projecting in a lot of his work)

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I'm starting to really dislike that guy. Which means I want to have sex with him or something? I'm behind on my Freudian psychology.

(ignoring the fact that he himself said sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, it's very clear he's projecting in a lot of his work)
    Apparently in some cases he was also trying to avoid annoying parents who weren't being the best, but yeah, so much projection. Although to be fair I do have ay least some hangups with regards top cigar holding, and it's not just limited to secondhand smoke (ahem).

Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The most impressive thing about Freud is that he was absolutely obsessed with sex, but managed to convince everyone else that they were instead.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-17 at 07:47 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

13. - Top - End - #283
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    So... maybe a party of four The Furies might stand a chance?

(Don't imagine there being four of me. That would be horrible.)
    I thought there were supposed to only be three of the furies?

And what special skills do you bring to the table? Pretend I'm some sort of lich who's interviewing you for a mid boss, maybe even a dungeon boss position. What makes you think you're worth it?

consider it a writing prompt because this sort of thing is one of my favorite.
    Although applications may have finished, I thought I'd give this position a try. I am an up-and-coming obstacle, with plans to be either an antagonist or even a nemesis in the future. I favour a classic style, wherein I propel a mass as large as myself towards intruding adventurers and loop around through inaccessable paths to attack from unexpected directions.

Although I have little experience in this field, I am keen to learn and have a genial personality that lets me get along with most co-workers.

I also enclose an example of the style I follow, as performed by long-time experts in the field.

Anyway, the point is less 'katana bad sword', they were good for the environment they appeared in and pretty decent weapons overall. This is more me being annoyed by katana fanboys, so kfbs that appear in my work might get to be competent, but they're never as powerful as they think they are (katana are approximately as strong as other swords weapon-wise, as shown by the characters who use them for more practical reasons).

I also kind of dislike the trend of 'european martial arts were less refined/aesthetic than asian martial arts'. Sure, they were different, and many of the surviving ones ave markedly different aesthetics, but fencing is still a graceful form. Not criticising you of falling into the trap

I mean, everything's fair. Speaking of books, I need to return to writing.
    If we're talking about swords and things we want to write, one of my characters has an estoric martial art that lets him cut through anything and his fighting style is inspired by Japanese swordsmanship, with a focus on powerful cuts to shear through things. His evil alternate timeline counterpart has developed a way to block the unstoppable cuts and so uses a style based more around western swordsmanship, with a focus on controlling his opponents' blade and counterattacking. The good version therefore favours Japanese swords such as the Nodachi, while the evil version usually uses scavanged blades from alternate selves he's killed, but prefers swords with promenient guards.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Although applications may have finished, I thought I'd give this position a try. I am an up-and-coming obstacle, with plans to be either an antagonist or even a nemesis in the future. I favour a classic style, wherein I propel a mass as large as myself towards intruding adventurers and loop around through inaccessable paths to attack from unexpected directions.

Although I have little experience in this field, I am keen to learn and have a genial personality that lets me get along with most co-workers.

I also enclose an example of the style I follow, as performed by long-time experts in the field.
    Those are good traits and your resume says you worked with farm animals, particularly horses. Put some armour on that bad boy and you're basically a charging tank. Hired as a mid game boss, probably the difficulty spike since your armour makes you slow enough to dodge but defensive enough they have to employ special tactics.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Dangit, Zodi over here hiring everyone but me.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I know so many members really hate and dislike me when I post-optimization post but I really don't care if they do. I'm always making a homebrew deity without this forum help on this one.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought there were supposed to only be three of the furies?
    In the myth about the formation of the Athenian legal system, yeah I think so. I'm not one of those though. I'm a different The Fury. One that uses the "The" even when it makes no grammatical sense.

If we're talking about swords and things we want to write, one of my characters has an estoric martial art that lets him cut through anything and his fighting style is inspired by Japanese swordsmanship, with a focus on powerful cuts to shear through things. His evil alternate timeline counterpart has developed a way to block the unstoppable cuts and so uses a style based more around western swordsmanship, with a focus on controlling his opponents' blade and counterattacking. The good version therefore favours Japanese swords such as the Nodachi, while the evil version usually uses scavanged blades from alternate selves he's killed, but prefers swords with promenient guards.
    For some reason I just like straight-bladed, double edged, wide cutting swords with complex hilts. Basket-hilt claymores, mortuary swords, walloon swords, schiavonas, that kind of thing. Maybe I just want a sword with a hilt that I can punch someone with.

One time someone showed me a portrait of Freud done entirely in shades of pink, it made my day. (Did I mention I love visual puns?)

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The most impressive thing about Freud is that he was absolutely obsessed with sex, but managed to convince everyone else that they were instead.
    This is an excellent point. I often found his clear desire for his daughter and blaming her for it distasteful.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I know so many members really hate and dislike me when I post-optimization post but I really don't care if they do. I'm always making a homebrew deity without this forum help on this one.
    I imagine part of what it might be is that you continually start new threads (rather than just adding new posts to your old threads and keeping it all in one place), and you seem to never end up actually really using anything that the forum helps you with, causing exasperation. People don't tend to want to keep helping if it seems like the person asking for help is basically implying that their help was pointless.

20. - Top - End - #290

BlackDragon

Dangit, Zodi over here hiring everyone but me.
    Maybe you should take that as the horrendous insult it clearly is and become her nemesis? OK, it requires you to sort of be the hero, but would that be so hard?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Maybe you should take that as the horrendous insult it clearly is and become her nemesis? OK, it requires you to sort of be the hero, but would that be so hard?
    I think you missed the 'no suitable skills' that was the nail in the coffin in the first place.
    Besides, I'm not good nemesis material. I already forgave the grudge.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

So I've been invited to a Russian housewarming, which apparently involves turning on the central heating (but that's my fault for making the joke in the first place). So now I have a month to find a bottle of wine bottle of vodka something non alcoholic to take to what might be a party or might just be an excuse to hang out, she's being cagey.

Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I imagine part of what it might be is that you continually start new threads (rather than just adding new posts to your old threads and keeping it all in one place), and you seem to never end up actually really using anything that the forum helps you with, causing exasperation. People don't tend to want to keep helping if it seems like the person asking for help is basically implying that their help was pointless.
    Yeah, my threads can annoy most members in this forum.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

I think you missed the 'no suitable skills' that was the nail in the coffin in the first place.
    I mean, have you seen most heroes' starting point?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I mean, have you seen most heroes' starting point?
    Yes, they also tend to lack non-suitable skills

Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I have a great idea. In order to prevent these major life changes affecting my life. I'll build a time machine and order to stop these major life changes affected me. So that myself all my co-workers won't be moving to a new location and my supervisor won't retire. So what do you think of my great idea?

27. - Top - End - #297

I have a great idea. In order to prevent these major life changes affecting my life. I'll build a time machine and order to stop these major life changes affected me. So that myself all my co-workers won't be moving to a new location and my supervisor won't retire. So what do you think of my great idea?
    The best solution is to accept the changes and grow from it. Living in the past will only ruin your future.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The best solution is to accept the changes and grow from it. Living in the past will only ruin your future.
    Anyone who knows me very well in this forum knows that I really don't like change. I mean time travel works in the movies so I really don't see any flaws to it.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

I see several scientific and ethical problems with this plan, starting at 'it's bloody selfish' and ending at 'well so much for science'.

Changes are hard, it took nearly two ******* years for 'I'm single' to make sense to me again. But the solution isn't too stop the changes from affecting you, but rather to struggle through the pain and your life to somewhere you can still be happy.

Every since I lost faith the quote that has always stood out to me from anywhere is actually from very early on in Fullmetal Alchemist. 'Stand up and walk. Keep going forward. At least you have strong legs to take you there.' No matter how much it hurts you have the power to keep moving forward and dealing with your problem, the only thing stopping you from doing so is you.

Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone who knows me very well in this forum knows that I really don't like change. I mean time travel works in the movies so I really don't see any flaws to it.
    You mean that you watch movies with time travel that don't have horrible unforeseen consequences from going to the past? Weird. I must be watching the wrong movies.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2019-12-18 at 12:29 PM.