New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

I found a new band and felt a compulsion to share. Fans of Kalmah, I present Illnath
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Being a fan of Questionable Content (and Jeph Jacques' humour judging by his twitter and such) I've actually only heard when Deathmøle song (I believe it was called...I dunno, something about shining unicorn horns charging. Something like that).
    Heh, he does have a few nonsensical song names, including a few about unicorns. But it's all instrumental, so it doesn't matter.

It's all very laid back, which I like. A lot of songs also have a nice minimalist feel to them.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

3. - Top - End - #483

Quote Originally Posted by Zocelot View Post
    I found a new band and felt a compulsion to share. Fans of Kalmah, I present Illnath
    Well, not so much Kalmah, they've got more of a Graveworm vibe going IMHO, but nice find nontheless.

Production could stand to be a bit heavier, though.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    Oh, I agree that In the Nightside Eclipse is way better. However, I was specifically arguing against people that said that Black Metal was amateurish and untalented. I think Anthems (regardless of whether or not you enjoyed it) proves them wrong.
    ITNE is way better, yeah. I think their best is actually the Emperor EP though. Two of the best songs from both ITNE and WOTT with a production that's a perfect mix of raw and clear. Honestly, it seems like Anthems should have had Emperor's production (and later on, Prometheus should have had Ihsahn's solo project's production values).

You could also show them Deathspell Omega. "Abscission" is like... damn.

EDIT: Completely unrelated, but I just listened to Manilla Road's The Deluge for the first time. Woah. That's all I can say. I've been on a sort of MR binge in the past few days, after discovering that Crystal Logic is not, in fact, their only worthwhile album (who would've known?), but the Deluge is outstanding, even by their standards...
    You listen to recent Darkthrone? MR just makes me think of "Raised on Rock". "Sold my soul to Manilla Road!"

Also, I know neither band is metal, but I'm listening to Les Discrets and it sounds like what Alcest wishes it was.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

5. - Top - End - #485
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dude... A metal thread... I feel elated.

Well my favorite band is Cradle of Filth, this has nothing to do with the current topic of conversation but I just included it for fun.
    Extended Hombrew Signature

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelab View Post

Well my favorite band is Cradle of Filth, this has nothing to do with the current topic of conversation but I just included it for fun.
    Oh no, we talk about all forms of metals here. My favorite is aluminium!

Welcome! Do you like steel? Everyone else makes fun of me for not liking steel.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-02-23 at 10:12 AM.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

7. - Top - End - #487

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Oh no, we talk about all forms of metals here. My favorite is aluminium!

Welcome! Do you like steel? Everyone else makes fun of me for not liking steal.
    Well, d'uh! Steel just isn't trve enough. I mean, it's not even on the periodic table. It's just no elemental metal.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    Well, d'uh! Steel just isn't trve enough. I mean, it's not even on the periodic table. It's just no elemental metal.
    So true. And steel is so derivitive of iron that its discovery didn't even merit its distinction as an archaeological period of human prehistory. Pathetic.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    So true. And steel is so derivitive of iron that its discovery didn't even merit its distinction as an archaeological period of human prehistory. Pathetic.
    Bah! I remain of fan of the Bronze Age! Of Bronze Metal!

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    Nah, it's just modern steel that sucks. A lot of people used to use bones to carbonize the iron. Back then it was pretty brutal, but these days it's just so mainstream.

EDIT: I think this gag may have run it's course.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2012-02-23 at 12:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Nah, it's just modern steel that sucks. A lot of people used to use bones to carbonize the iron. Back then it was pretty brutal, but these days it's just so mainstream.

EDIT: I think this gag may have run it's course.
    Yeah. We're all fans of Metallica, love St. Anger, and hate Sunn O))).

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Yeah. We're all fans of Metallica, love St. Anger, and hate Sunn O))).
    What? I have no idea how any part of that statement relates to anything in my post.

And I get enough of talking about Metallica when I mention that I like metal to people in real life. If we absolutely must discuss straight Thrash can we at least find something a bit better? Maybe some Testament or Death Angel?

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

(all the songs were too long by a factor of about 2 but I listened the whole way through, so call it a fair compromise).
    I take it you're not a fan of Prog [insert sub genre] Metal then.

Well, we've been discussing Black Metal. CoF produce/have produced a lot of Black Metal.

And I get enough of talking about Metallica when I mention that I like metal to people in real life. If we absolutely must discuss straight Thrash can we at least find something a bit better? Maybe some Testament or Death Angel?
    I'm kinda picky about Thrash Metal, but I quite like Lazarus A.D.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-02-23 at 04:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    I take it you're not a fan of Prog [insert sub genre] Metal then.

I'm kinda picky about Thrash Metal, but I quite like Lazarus A.D.
    I actually am a huge Prog fan. I even linked "The Count of Tuscany" a page or two back in the "list essential material from your favorite genres" mini-discussion. I don't mind longer compositions, I just like them to have more twists and turns to them.

I actually generally prefer the modern Thrash revivalists like Lazarus A.D, HAVOK, and Warbringer to the '80s stuff (which I don't really like). So yeah, good choice.

15. - Top - End - #495

Well how about mithril? Heavy Mithril.

And I actually just skipped to the end so I have no idea what you were talking about.

It's kinda sad that Cradle no longer does their symphonic stuff, my favourite album of them is still Dusk and her embrace.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

What? I have no idea how any part of that statement relates to anything in my post.

It was related. We were going off topic, so I drop a massive lie to get us back on topic. You know how that works? Averse-Psychology.

Oh, and I like Lich King. I owe that to another friend here.

I actually am a huge Prog fan.
    Such a shame, Cliff Burton was actually moving the band away from Thrash Metal into Prog Metal. Then he died, and I'll bet you Lars said "You know what the fans would like? Heavy metal."

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I haven't posted in here forever... ah well. Might as well get back into it.

Tuesday i went to a metal concert. It was fun.

Lineup was Threat Signal, Revocation, Eluveitie, and Children of Bodom.

I got to the venue JUST as Threat Signal took stage. They were actually pretty cool. I mean, they weren't anything special, but they had some nice melodies and I headbanged a bit. Their bassist was very energetic and he got bonus points cuz he actually looks like one of my friends.

Revocation played next. I wasn't... entirely impressed. I'll be honest: every time there is a band that is heavily reliant on thrash-sounds I'm very unimpressed. I do not like Thrash. But they were entertaining. They played an instrumental song that was cool.

Then came the band I really wanted to see: Eluveitie. I've never seen them live before so I was very excited. Setlist (IIRC) (not in order):
    Everything Remains As it Never Was
    Nil
    Dominion
    Kingdom Come Undone
    Havoc
    Rose of Ephona
    Meet the Enemy
    Quoth the Raven
    Inis Mona

I was very sad that they didn't play anything off their first album, (in fact, I think Everything Remains is their weakest non-acoustic album, particularly in light of their latest release which is 100% brilliance). Despite this, I had an amazing time.
    Things I did:
    Witnessed my first (albeit small) Wall of Death
    Participate in a Circle Pit (I don't really care for moshing much, but Circle Pits are awesome)
    Headbang till my neck gave out (ugh, it still hurts)
    Sing all the words to Inis Mona

Eluveitie was amazing and I was really sad that their set was as short as it was. I want to see them again as a headlining band, and I want them to play Your Gaulish War and The Dance of Victory. And their entire Helvetios album. And Inis Mona.

Children of Bodom played next. They were 10x better than when I saw them last. Honestly, looking back at it though that was kinda a weird Concert. Children of Bodom was the 2nd act (of 4) and had like a 30 minute set. It was cold and rainy (outdoor venue) and the sound absolutely sucked balls. You couldn't hear anything the entire concert. This time they managed to fix that I think. At least, as much as you can while still having the sound cranked up to 11. Laiho was very energetic and Roope looked classy as hell. About half way through their set I really was ready to leave though. I don't particularly like moshing and my neck was really starting to hurt so I didn't want to headbang much more. I ended up chilling in the back and just enjoying the show (I had been up front right next to the Pit the entire concert).

All-in-all it was a very good show. I really want to see Eluveitie again, though doubt they will tour the US until next Spring. Children of Bodom was solid, as I expected, but I'm unsure if I want to see them again. As much as I love Heavy Metal, I find that my favorite elements of Children of Bodom's style (awesome solos) are drowned out in the very loud rhythm section. It makes for good headbanging, but unless you are watching Laiho's hands or something, you're not going to really be able to follow the solos that well. Its funny because I know they could do better: Threat Signal and Revocation had perfectly audible solos. Blackguard did too, both times I've seen them. (Eluveitie has its own problems since they're soloing on flutes/pipes ). I'd probably still see Children of Bodom again because they seem to have good taste in tour partners, but other than that.. meh.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

You know what's a superb song that Metallica made that totally breaks from everything they've ever done?

Would it help if I mentioned James doesn't sing? And that it's Lou Reed?

Good, this is Junior Dad, the story of the illegitimate son of a teenage father, growing up through his life with an anguished father. A really harsh song, that's really deep, and very heartwarming.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-02-23 at 11:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    You listen to recent Darkthrone? MR just makes me think of "Raised on Rock". "Sold my soul to Manilla Road!"
    That's funny, thats actually how I got into listening to Manilla Road. I was listening to FOAD and decided to look up the lyrics. When it got to Raised on Rock I was like, "woah, they mentioned Manilla Road in the same song as Venom? Maybe I should give them a listen." So I did, and it was a great choice. I'd already heard Crystal Logic, which is one of their more accessible albums, and a classic. So I listened to their older album, Metal, and it was pretty good. Kinda sounded like Rush-turned-metal, and as a Canadian, I can't pass that up. So I kept going, and it's been pretty rewarding. I have to say though, The Deluge is probably their best.

Also, how good is Darkthrone? Everyone knows their three BM albums are awesome, but I honestly think everything they touch turns to gold. Soulside Journey was a great death metal album, and what they've been doing since FOAD is just so... raw. Like they're the modern Venom, and they can pull it off.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Darkthrone's first five black metal albums are easily classics. My favorite is actually Panzerfaust, I dunno why it gets so much hate. Newer Darkthrone stuff is great too. I think of it as Darkthrone channeling Motorhead.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Since we've established that no one here likes stoner doom or similar genres, I thought I'd introduce a band I recently encountered called Mars Red Sky (you may have encountered that phrase before).

I've read them described as "psychedelic rock band playing on a doom metal band's instruments," and they're at least notable for being a french band that plays neither post-rock, black metal, shoegaze, or any combination thereof.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2012-02-24 at 02:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    in fact, I think Everything Remains is their weakest non-acoustic album, particularly in light of their latest release which is 100% brilliance
    Holy balls Helvetios is out. I'd totally forgotten about it. I am ashamed :/

I just found out In Flames is touring over here. I'm not sure I even care enough to go see them.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

It's kinda sad that Cradle no longer does their symphonic stuff, my favourite album of them is still Dusk and her embrace.
    I totally agree. But Cruelty and Midian are very good too.

If we absolutely must discuss straight Thrash can we at least find something a bit better? Maybe some Testament or Death Angel?
    Or Overkill.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-02-24 at 07:16 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Metallica covered that!

But Blitzkrieg is equally good. Just a touch heavier.

25. - Top - End - #505

Well while we're talking about black metal how about Dark Lunacy? They might not be black metal but they're symphonic and I really like how they blend the orchestra with the metal.

26. - Top - End - #506

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    Then came the band I really wanted to see: Eluveitie. I've never seen them live before so I was very excited. Setlist (IIRC) (not in order):
    Everything Remains As it Never Was
    Nil
    Dominion
    Kingdom Come Undone
    Havoc
    Rose of Ephona
    Meet the Enemy
    Quoth the Raven
    Inis Mona
    I got a chance to see Eluveitie live and I just want to comment that Anna Murphy's scream toward the end of Quoth the Raven is perhaps the sexiest thing I have ever seen out of a folk metal band. She's just this tiny little thing that goes from 1-to-11 in no time flat. Awesome.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-02-24 at 09:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    I got a chance to see Eluveitie live and I just want to comment that Anna Murphy's scream toward the end of Quoth the Raven is perhaps the sexiest thing I have ever seen out of a folk metal band. She's just this tiny little thing that goes from 1-to-11 in no time flat. Awesome.
    Everything is better with Anna Murphy. This is a fact.

I would kill to see them live.

28. - Top - End - #508

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post

They're touring now. If you act quickly, you may not have to

In any event. Go. See them live. They're orders of magnitude better in concert than they are on a studio album.

EDIT: They're headlining a show within walking distance of my apartment next tuesday As if I needed another excuse mandatory obligation to spend money this month.

EDIT 2: They're sold out. Hm. My wallet is happy. The rest of me is
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-02-24 at 10:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

I actually am a huge Prog fan. I even linked "The Count of Tuscany" a page or two back in the "list essential material from your favorite genres" mini-discussion. I don't mind longer compositions, I just like them to have more twists and turns to them.

I actually generally prefer the modern Thrash revivalists like Lazarus A.D, HAVOK, and Warbringer to the '80s stuff (which I don't really like). So yeah, good choice.
    I just tend to be really picky about it, I think it might be the vocals a lot of Thrash Metal bands tend to go for, which could go some way to explain why I like old Metallica far more then new Metallica. Testament have done some stuff I enjoy and I quite like Trivium's thrashy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post

I missed my chance to see them live twice. Which sucks, because they're my favourite Folk Metal band. They're one of the few non Doomy or Blacky Folk Metal bands that aren't tongue-in-cheek, which is a nice change. (Even though I do love the less serious bands too.)
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-02-24 at 11:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    I just tend to be really picky about it, I think it might be the vocals a lot of Thrash Metal bands tend to go for
    Oh no, I completely agree. Most thrash vocals are god awful. That's why I tend to go for the more modern thrashers, who tend to use more Death Metal-esque shrieking and less grunty or otherwise poorly sung clean vocals. And at least one (two if you count Holy Grail, but they're more of a traditional heavy metal band, imo), of the new thrash bands using clean vocals, Evile, are a good deal better at it than most of the older thrash bands. Evile is like early Metallica only not terrible.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2012-02-24 at 04:46 PM.