New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC II

1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Old Ways IC II

Brandon Bor

Bran shakes his head slightly in disagreement with Ashala's plan for the day.

"We already have an elf with us. Why do we think that Father Graham and Councilman Andrev, two humans, would know more about the Black Arrows than Artanis?"

"If anything, we should be looking for other elves in town and ask -them-."

"And let's not forget that the Arrrows were to be hired by the Fangs. We have a few Fangs in gaol courtesy of Alastor's Sleep spell. I suggested a few days ago that we interrogate them for what they know."

"If no one has talked to the Fangs yet, I suggest that I do that now instead of bothering Andrev for mere -rumors- of Black Arrows. Remember, the man is a retired adventurer. Anything he knows about the Black Arrows is years out of date."

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash thinks Alastor should have interrogated the prisoners the day after they were captured and isn't sure why he never got around to it, but she still holds that in high priority. (She voices these opinions.)

In answer to Brandon's question about why they would speak to Andrev or Graham, Ash replies, "Cause they've been around since the dawn of Threshold and may have a clue about the beings surrounding the time of its making - so I was told."

She agrees that it couldn't hurt to have someone go down and interrogate the prisoners today, even while Algernon goes to see if he can learn the ESP spell. Nathros might be a good accompaniment at the jail, she'd recommend - for intimidation.

---

When Alanna takes Ash aside, she listens intently. After she hears Alanna's concerns, she tries her best to put her mind at ease, "He is still on trial as a potential team member. For now, we see how he handles himself with us while chaperoned. Then, on the road. I'll be wary of him trying any funny business, though magic is a powerful ally. I agree that he's a bit friendly, but that doesn't make him a threat. And, he came with a high recommendation from Lord Bost's friend back in Thyatis. Since the letter of Alastor's recall and Algernon's letter of recommendation came on the same day, I imagine it was a planned trade from overseas. Out of consideration."

---
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, (Algernon), I don't think Ash would have told you details of their mishaps as that would be personal. She may have said the group is a bit touchy over the death of a mercenary while out gallivanting with some wolves yesterday - more or less, but I doubt she'd have filled him in on the details of that excursion. She would have however told him a fair bit about their personalities and some of their roles/capabilities in the group. ^_^

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran throws up his hands in surrender. "Fine. I'll talk to Andrev. But don't be surprised if he never heard of any Black Arrows before."

"Wait, didn't we promise Artanis not to tell anyone about them? I don't think Graham and Andrev are included in the people we could tell."

He goes on talk to other things.

"Whoever goes to talk to Father Graham (probably Alanna) should ask if his acolytes have finished copying the documents yet, so we can give a copy to Lord Bost."

"I can introduce Algernon to Merlinda, sure. But she's probably not going to teach a near-stranger a spell."

Bran hesitates, then says firmly, "I vote against using the magical favor Merlinda promised us on having her teach Algernon. It's too valuable a prize, and he's still new."

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH
    Quote Originally Posted by Frivolous View Post
    Brandon Bor

Bran throws up his hands in surrender. "Fine. I'll talk to Andrev. But don't be surprised if he never heard of any Black Arrows before."

"Wait, didn't we promise Artanis not to tell anyone about them? I don't think Graham and Andrev are included in the people we could tell."

Bran hesitates, then says firmly, "I vote against using the magical favor Merlinda promised us on having her teach Algernon. It's too valuable a prize, and he's still new."
    Ash wonders to herself why Brandon got so worked up when she believed they were just discussing suggestions and opinions on what to do next.

"All you would need to do is ask of the Black Arrows and make sure not to affiliate the name with the race. And you'd be asking, not telling. But the prisoners might be interrogated first, if you're thinking of doing that today. Of course, if you prefer, I could talk to him. I assumed you'd be the better choice as you know each other better."

"Also, I agree that we should not use the favor from Merlinda so recklessly.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

As Mycah sees how the newcomer acts around his friends, he becomes more suspicious rather than less. Perhaps it's just that he seems to be too friendly, but Mycah is loyal, and protective, of his companions. It does help that Ash has clarified where Algernon has come from and has the letter of recommendation in his favor, so he does his best to squash the distrust he feels and see how things play out.

At Ash's request that he go to Jarok and spend the day training while the others chase down leads, he agrees with notable relief. "I was prepared to go back out after the hobgoblins since that's what you wanted to do, but I really do feel better going to see Jarok and trying to finish up my training. It seems like the hobs have been out there a while, so it isn't as if the threat is a new one. Hopefully Nathros and I got them to think twice before they act."

He takes her aside out of earshot of Algernon when he gets a chance. "Ash, I know you trust him - to a point - but just be careful, ok? He admitted he knows how to cast a charm spell, so... Well, just be careful. I don't want to see you get hurt." He reaches out and touches her hand as he finishes, meets her striking green eyes and smiles shyly at her, hesitates, then turns to go.
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2013-02-11 at 09:19 PM.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

6. - Top - End - #756

Spoiler
    Show
    Algernon does not need a spell to charm Ashala.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash nods as Mycah talks of the hobgoblins. "I agree. I don't think they'll be any more trouble today than tomorrow."

When he expresses concern for Ash, a little intimately even, she gazes back at him with slightly widened eyes. A breath escapes and she closes her eyes a short moment to smile softly to herself. Briefly, her brows twitch downward in the middle, then she grins, "Of course. We should all be careful...
    "Nnn, have fun training."
    She tips her weight to the side, narrows her eyes a little, and folds her arms under her chest (but over her armor) as she watches Mycah leave.
    Is it just my imagination? ...
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-02-12 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to fix a phrase doubly written.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

As Artanis walked to the tower, he decided to find out more about the newest addition to the group. Unfortunately, Artanis kept with the Elven Courtesies, still uncomfortable with meeting new people.

"One would probably wonder what a young traveler's origins are and what art they do practice most often. One would also deem it kind to reveal what position they held in the world before the call of adventure came."

Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, Artanis is still getting to know most of the members of the group. Plus, we need to start somewhere eh?
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

9. - Top - End - #759
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Nathros shakes his head and returns to the Nut to have another breakfast ale. Midday, he heads out to the West Gate to spy for any sign of trouble, and finding none, he returns to the Nut for the afternoon.

---
    Alanna finds Father Graham free to speak with her. A distinguished gray-haired man with an athletic, or at least formerly athletic build, he invites her in to sit in his office with a genuine charm. He's never heard of the Black Arrows, and regardless of how much detail she shares about the situation, he still doesn't know. He has seen the map and other documents, however, and understands that she and her friends are investigating the markings on the map. "The Patriarch has been alerted as well, though he is likely only to increase the guard in town. Despite it's quaint comfort, Threshold is still a light in the wilderness. What lies beyond these walls is anybody's guess." He shares with her a tale of the early days of Threshold when those building the wall had to be guarded at all times from wild animals, goblins, and who knows what else. "A guard for every laborer in those days. So while we've carved out some safety here, it was hard-fought. And we must remain watchful."

He entrusts to her the copies of documents Brandon had copied.

---
    Mycah trains a full day, and over a quick lunch in the field Jarok asks about the party's doings and plans. He'll suggest a double day of training to help Mycah finish his training, and if Mycah is willing, he'll continue to work until late in the evening. Exhausted and full of new ideas on sword-play, the scout can rejoin the party in the evening.

---
    Bran and Artanis accompany Algie to Merlinda's tower, a simple but somehow elegant structure outside of town. The trio treks from the West Gate along the town wall and out the northwest. The sign on the door reads "Stay Out! Yes, you!" Knocking or other forms of greeting yield no response. She is either out or unwilling to be disturbed.

Bran can revisit Eratosthenes, if desired, and the man will offer only that it's a difficult one. Some kind of code maybe rather than a language. He'll shoo the group off claiming that he's on government time right now and can't talk.

He can also visit Councilman Andrev who also knows nothing about the Black Arrows, suggesting only that it sounds like a goblinkin clan, "They're all named things like "red skulls" and "black fang" and such."

The prisoners are equally unhelpful. Gone is their bravado and certainty about retribution against their enemies, though. They sullenly grunt responses to questions put to them, seemingly truthful, but uninformative. They don't know who the leader was beyond being the Viper. They know nothing about a map, Black Arrows, or any grand plan against the town. The chattiest offers only, "we're jobbers, see. We got fake names. We can't tell what we don't know, so we don't know nuthin'. Even longtimers like me just do what the boss says - said. Whatever. Get bent ya Guild lackeys. We're all getting shipped off to the mines or something anyway."

---
    Ash meets with Marie, who seems to be in good spirits. She says that things are quiet at home, and that she hopes not to live there for too long. She's interested in what the Vigilant Companions are up to, and quickly turns most questions back toward what they are planning or what her companions are like.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

10. - Top - End - #760

Algernon "Algie" Blackthorn, Magic-user

"It appears our sorceress is not at home, at the moment. In all honesty, this has been a bit of a fool's errand. I don't know why I did not mention it sooner, but we of an occult persuasion can be private to the point of paranoia, unwiling to share knowledge with just any random outsider who bangs on the door. Regardless of said outsider's sparkling wit and dashing good looks."

He looks about the tower. "No, I am afraid we have wasted most of a day, my friends. Were this most able magic-user even to be at home, it is unlikely that she would deign to teach me a spell -- one that would enable me to perceive her most innermost thoughts -- or those of my companions! -- at the mere asking. Friend Bran, might you recommend a quiet tavern or alehouse where the whiskey is good, the barmaids buxom, and a man might get to play a decent hand of cards or three?

Spoiler
    Show
    I am going on the assumption that Algernon, having reached third level, would have some inkling of how difficult it is to persuade a fellow magic-user to teach him a spell. He has no other things to do, so will spend the rest of the evening sipping fine whiskey, laughing with his fellow patrons, and losing a small sum -- perhaps five gold pieces -- at cards, before trying to find and rent a room for the night.

EDIT: Upon returning to town, Algernon locates some fine parchment, and a quill and ink with which to write. He sits down at his table and pens a quick note, reading:
    "My Dear Lady Merlinda,
    My name is Algernon Blackthorn, and I am a fledging wizard late of Specularum, my former master being ________, a personal friend of Lord Bost. Upon my arrival in Threshold I have heard the locals speak of you in nothing but hushed and reverent terms. Upon the foolish advice of my new companions I journeyed to your tower today, only to find to my grave disappointment that you were otherwise engaged. Of course, my lady, the fault was entirely mine and my bucolic comrades, for assuming such a might wizardress as yourself would simply be biding her time to be interrupted by the comings and goings of every young upstart in need of a new master. Therefore, my lady, I beg of you to grant me the boon of allowing me to call upon you one afternoon for tea. I may be found at the ________.

Yours most humbly,

Algernon "Algie" Blackthorn"

He will then locate a young, capable looking lad, and offer to pay him five silvers to deliver the note to Merlinda's tower, tucking the note in the door jamb. He then returns to his previous plan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Algernon will pay up to 5 gp for the finest sheet of parchment available, preferably subtly scented with some exotic perfume from the deserts of neighboring Ylaruam. He will indicate on the letter the name of the Inn where he has obtained lodging, and shall inform the innkeeper that he would like to rent a room on a week to week basis and "Oh, I am expecting a letter from the Lady Merlinda. If I am out when it comes, will you please hold it for me."
    Last edited by thirdkingdom; 2013-02-12 at 10:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

After returning from the west gate, Nathros whiles away the hours of the afternoon in the Nut, muttering about speed being fundamental to surprise and wondering whether the hobgoblins will even stay in the vicinity of the town, "We could have a long chase ahead of us."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2013-02-12 at 08:19 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

12. - Top - End - #762

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Mycah trains a full day, and over a quick lunch in the field Jarok asks about the party's doings and plans. He'll suggest a double day of training to help Mycah finish his training, and if Mycah is willing, he'll continue to work until late in the evening. Exhausted and full of new ideas on sword-play, the scout can rejoin the party in the evening.
    Mycah eagerly agrees, hoping to wrap up his training as quickly as possible and free up both his own and Jarok's time once again.
    "I will be here as long as it takes, Master Jarok. I appreciate you taking the time to work with Ash and I and wouldn't keep you from whatever else you could be doing any longer than I need to. So you think I'm almost ready? I don't know how confident I am just yet, to be honest. I still trust in my marksmanship over this sword, but hopefully I won't hurt myself with it!" He grins to show he's (mostly) kidding, an does trust in the man's skill and judgement as a teacher.

As darkness falls over the town, Mycah returns to his rooms at the Nut, tired and sore, but satisfied that it was a day well spent. The summons from Mrs. Bor will have to wait another day, but she had said to get there whenever he could, though he knew better than to make her wait too long.
    "Bran," he asks when he sees him later on, "should I take a gift for her or something? It seems like I should. What does she like? Animals or birds or flowers? I was thinking I could make her a wooden carving. I like to make them when it's quiet. Helps me relax and just think sometimes." He glances around to see if Ash is too close by, then lowers his voice conspiratorially. "I have a flower I've been working on. I thought maybe I'd give it to Ash but I don't know if she'd like it. I could give that to your mom and make another one."

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    "We could have a long chase ahead of us."
    "Maybe we don't need to chase them, Nathros. If they've left, then they no longer are a threat to the town are they? We all just need to ride to there and be sure they're gone."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis gave up on trying to find out more about Algernon when he was ignored and found it hard to hide his dissapointment at the lack of anyone's response.

He decided to inquire of Brandon where a good spot would be to find his sword.

"I am sorry to have ignored your earlier reports of leads on my sword, but now I am ready to hunt for it... if it is fine with you."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

14. - Top - End - #764

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh. Did Artanis attempt to engage Algernon in conversation and I somehow missed it? Otherwise, he should probably ask if he would like to know something.

15. - Top - End - #765

RangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdkingdom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh. Did Artanis attempt to engage Algernon in conversation and I somehow missed it? Otherwise, he should probably ask if he would like to know something.
    Artanis likes to mutter darkly to himself and talk without specifically addressing anyone, then act offended when no one answers. You'll get used to it!

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran eyes Mycah with a weird expression on his face. Eventually he answers.

"I'm sure she'd appreciate almost anything you give her. It's the thought that counts, you know."

"However, if you REALLY want to impress her and show your sincerity, you could offer to do farm chores. Milk cows, fork hay, shovel manure, etc.

"You could even babysit and change diapers. My oldest brother had his second child recently, and his oldest is only 3 years old."

"It would be a lot of help, really, but I'm guessing that would cut into your adventuring time and spirit."

Bran is smiling a bit, but Mycah has the disturbing suspicion that Bran is all too serious.

Eventually he relents and advises something relatively feasible, "You could buy her a young draft horse. We still have room in our stable."

17. - Top - End - #767

Determining on the walk back from Merlinda's tower that Bran is unable to provide him with a recommendation for a suitable inn -- likely due to the young man's lack of refinement -- Algernon turns to Artanis. "And how about you, my new friend! You seem to me an elf of culture, who appreciates the finer things in life! Perhaps you can recommend me a place suitable to my tastes, and, after I have composed a letter to the Lady whose tower we have so recently left, you would care to join me for a glass of brandy. I must admit to being intrigued by your mention of this stolen blade; surely it must be a priceless artifact of your peoples! In fact, seeing as my advice to seek out and eliminate the hobgoblins posthaste has been ignored, I would like to offer you my aid in reclaiming what must be a puissant weapon of great enchantment! My friend Artanis, I pledge to you that I shall not rest until we recover your purloined birthright!"

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunamiatunzen1 View Post
    He decided to inquire of Brandon where a good spot would be to find his sword.

"I am sorry to have ignored your earlier reports of leads on my sword, but now I am ready to hunt for it... if it is fine with you."

Brandon Bor

Bran nods wearily. He was on foot today, since he did not see the point of riding when his two companions had no horses.

"Yeah, let's go to Fogor's Isle and the Enigma shop."

"Montague Summers might be able to identify this Murks fellow for us, if we gave him a description of the guy's appearance."

"Friend Bran, might you recommend a quiet tavern or alehouse where the whiskey is good, the barmaids buxom, and a man might get to play a decent hand of cards or three?
    Bran has lived in Threshold all his life. He gives the names and directions to various good inns.

"I don't know about buxom barmaids or card games, though."

"If you're strapped for coin, you could just bunk at the Bor manor as a guest of the family for at least a few days."

19. - Top - End - #769

RangerGuy

The thought of a bit of physical labor seems perfectly reasonable, but Mycah's eyes widen in alarm at the though of changing diapers or other baby-related tasks. He's joking, isn't he? He relaxes visibly at Bran's suggestion of draft horse. "Ooh, that is a good idea, Bran. She seems the type to appreciate a more useful gift, I'll admit. Thanks!"

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

20. - Top - End - #770

Algernon's eyes widen slightly at Bran's offer. "That is most kind of you, my new companion, but while money is not as bountiful as it once was, I have not been reduced to a state of penury as of yet. I fear I shall have to decline your most generous offer. Although," he adds as a thought strikes him, "you don't happen to have any sisters, do you?"

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    ---
    Ash meets with Marie, who seems to be in good spirits. She says that things are quiet at home, and that she hopes not to live there for too long. She's interested in what the Vigilant Companions are up to, and quickly turns most questions back toward what they are planning or what her companions are like.
    Ash enjoyed her time talking with Marie and catching up. She relishes the thought of having a real friend here, but reminds herself that the interest Marie has expressed is probably more toward adventures than of Ash.

She'll tell her that there's a new magic user in their group in place of Alastor, but his abilities have yet to be tested - though he was recommended by Jokkum Bost's friend back home.
    She'll ask if Marie is interested in meeting him and if she'd care to share spells between her and him. Also, if she makes a good impression with the group, maybe she can come along for their next mission - dealing with the hobgoblins. "You could protect the camp and the horses with the other men and perhaps we'll have need of your spells as well. But, I shouldn't get ahead of myself. We'll have to see what the others say. They all seem pretty wary of the other newcomer already. Though - I can't imagine why him and not me, Artanis, Alastor or the mercenaries they'd recently hired."
    Ash also tells Marie stories of their earliest adventures - securing the keep (her part was short and only at the end), clearing the caves, tracking down leads in town... "I actually wore woman's clothes for a change - ugh, I felt so naked. She jokes about her armor being a second skin and how she feels more competent in it than out of it now. "I think I even swim better in it than I used to before."

---

I'm well on my way toward the goals I've set for myself, however I can't help but to feel as though something is missing. Maybe I'm just a little homesick. I never intended to need anyone or anything but that which I provide myself here. This is no time to lose focus and inner balance.
    She shakes her head to herself, then looks more resolute.

She explores these thoughts as she walks the streets between browsing shops and heading to check on Mycah while he's training. When she peers into the field where he practices, she decides not to interrupt his training.
    Mycah and Nathros really are fun to fight along side. Nathros is a force to be reckoned with and Mycah makes the terrifying things disappear before I can wrap my mind around where there weak points might be. He's quick and clever, when it counts.

Then she heads back to her uncle's to see if there's any reply from him yet.
    Later she'll head back to the Nut to have supper and meet her friends again. If Marie wanted to meet Algernon, she'll introduce them then. She'll check how everyone's day went and if they've made any progress on acquiring information, spells, or the lost sword.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon hearing Algernon's pledge. Artanis blinked, surprised at his sudden decision.

He reminds me of myself in some ways...

Artanis decided to part with the Elven Courtesies to an extent.

"One would find it helpful to know what elicits a quick pledge for Solahel. Also, Solahel isn't magical as far as I know, has no worth outside of sentimental value, and I am not the original owner. I carry Solahel until I know the fate of the one who originally bore it. One would also mention that Solahel's name is not the name that it carried from the forge."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah whenever Artanis is using 'Elven Courtesies', he speaks in a roundabout way, never asking direct questions. However, he forgoes them when he is with people he knows/begins to trust/isn't unhappy with. So good job on getting some brownie points with Artanis!
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2013-02-12 at 06:46 PM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

23. - Top - End - #773

"Why, Artanis, can a fellow adventurer not offer aid and succor to a new friend? In all honesty, however, I am easily bored and crave excitement in all its varied forms. I am a man of action, not of words! Your tale of the missing blade intrigues me, and it seems to present a pleasant distraction until the rest of the party have finished their assorted tasks and duties."

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis found it slightly disconcerting that Algernon would search for adventure due to boredom, but offered no arguement to keep him from helping.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Koren n'Rhys View Post
    "Maybe we don't need to chase them, Nathros. If they've left, then they no longer are a threat to the town are they? We all just need to ride to there and be sure they're gone."
    "And leave them free to return or threaten another settlement elsewhere? Our contentment would be cold comfort for a homesteader or merchant unfortunate enough to encounter such a band."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

26. - Top - End - #776

"The dwarf speaks truth! There is a wise head on those strong shoulders, we would do well to heed his words. My master often explained that the man who downplayed the risk that a hobgoblin tribe poses is a fool indeed, for they are unlike their dimwitted, facile cousins. Hobgoblins are cunning warriors, expert tacticians and masters of deceit and strategical planning. They are not quivering cowards, apt to run at the first sign of danger.

He turns to the dwarf, bows sharply and extends his hand. You must be Nathros. Your companions speak highly of your martial prowess, and I have heard for myself your sagacity. I am Algernon Blackthorn, late of Specularum, and a practitioner of the arcane arts. Nothing would please me more than sharing a drink with you."

27. - Top - End - #777

RangerGuy

Mycah listens to Nathros' argument and begins to reply when the newcomer butts into the conversation. The scout shoots the man an annoyed look, but holds his tongue and waits for him to have his say before continuing, pointedly ignoring the rude interruption.
    "I'm not ignoring the threat. Believe me, the logging camps constantly had to deal with the threat of raids by all manner of things. It's why Lord Bost needs to hire so many guards! My point was that we've likely bought ourselves some time before we have to deal with them now."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

28. - Top - End - #778

Algernon is frankly amazed at the young scout's annoyance. He had been waiting patiently for someone to introduce him to Nathros, and had assumed that Mycah had finished speaking. Algernon begins to entertain serious questions about whether this is the group for him.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran silently eyes Algernon for a few minutes while he composes an answer. When he does speak, his tone of voice is matter of fact and calm.

"I have four sisters, two married and two unmarried. Mom and Dad set aside excellent dowries for all of them, but my older two sisters still fought a lot over who had more and grander suitors."

"My two younger sisters are less fixated on marriage, but that doesn't mean they're not receiving suitors of their own. After all, Mom and Dad are still prosperous even after forking over such large dowries, so everyone can tell they did not go into debt just for appearances' sake."

"Plus there are all the other wealthy landowners the family now has ties with. It does not hurt, of course, that their brother is known to be a successful and doughty adventurer."

Bran takes a moment to smile in a self-congratulatory fashion.

"You might not have much luck courting my younger sister, by the way. She's telling us lately that she wants to become a cleric-adventurer like Alanna."

"She'll probably outgrow it. Two years ago she wanted to become a magic-user when she grew up. And two years before that, a flying unicorn."

Then Bran blinks as he realizes something.

"Oh. I can guess why Merlinda is not receiving visitors today."

"I delivered to her the corpse of the displacer beast. She's probably studying it or working on it already. It might be a while before she finishes."

While Bran and his companions walk around accomplishing their errands, Bran addresses every town guard he encounters.

"Hello. Have you seen any elves around town lately, aside from my friend here?"

"I'm Brandon Bor. I need to talk to them, if any are around. Would you mind letting them know that Bost's Rangers want to speak to any elf in Threshold on a matter of some importance?"

30. - Top - End - #780

RangerGuy

Algernon is frankly amazed at the young scout's annoyance. He had been waiting patiently for someone to introduce him to Nathros, and had assumed that Mycah had finished speaking. Algernon begins to entertain serious questions about whether this is the group for him.
    Mycah notes the play of emotion across Algie's face. With a sigh, he scrubs a hand across his face and takes a swallow of his ale.
    "I'm sorry, Master Algernon. That was rude of me, and you've really done nothing to deserve it. Let's call it the result of a long and tiring day, Ok? And I should have introduced you to Nathros. I guess I assumed someone did that this morning. Let's just all have a drink or two and get to know each other - how's that sound? First round is on me."

Mycah waves over one of the serving girls and orders a round of drinks for the table then turns back to the young mage. "You're right that the hobgoblins are more crafty than some of the other wildlings out in the hills, but the one's Nathros and I fought ran fast enough once we slew a couple of their fellows. maybe we can call that wisdom rather than cowardice though. Are hobgoblins a threat in Thyatia where your're from?"

Spoiler
    Show
    FYI, I know it's properly "Thyatis" on "Thyatia" but Mycah's not very educated, being a lumber camp rat. It was on purpose.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll: