New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge In The Playground #XXVIII

Pro tip: When you include a parenthetical aside of "no offense to [person]", you're acknowledging you're probably coming off as offensive. I'd prefer to have negative commentary about a particular build in these contests confined to judges' scores and rationales, thanks.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Fair enough. I apologize. It won't happen again.
    "What is Sanity? Madness put to good use. What is our waking life? A dream controlled."
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

How many judges did we have?
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

4. - Top - End - #214

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriah View Post
    How many judges did we have?
    I think we had two more talk about it, but the only criteria for judging are access to the book (Frostburn, in this case), lack of a submitted entry, and willingness to take the time.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

I made some mistakes regarding bjorn's meldshaping and old man winter's general operations in my original judgings (apologies to both chefs) and have posted an update in my original judging post. I wanted to make sure and do it before the other judges post so no one has to wait on my account.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

I was going to try to re-create 'Ice Man' from Marvel fame, using Skate and Ice Wall to make his iconic travel methodology. However, he had absolutely no offensive punch worth a damn, I kept looking for ways to use ice as a weapon, or at least graft some kind of telekenetic thrust to launch ice with, but all for naught.

Incidentally, how can the Antipode take Pyrokeneticist when he doesn't meet the Chaotic alignment requirement?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Incidentally, how can the Antipode take Pyrokeneticist when he doesn't meet the Chaotic alignment requirement?
    Via the Ordered Chaos feat, from Fiendish Codex I.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I love that feat. The class combinations it opens up are amazing. The interpretation is questionable, because I think RAI it's just supposed to be just Abyssal Heritor feats, but I allow it to be all encompassing in my games.
    "What is Sanity? Madness put to good use. What is our waking life? A dream controlled."
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Wish I'd gotten my internets hooked up in time, but the cable guy didn't show up until yesterday...

My build wasn't quite finished, but what I had was an Azurin Druidic Avenger 1/Cobra Strike Monk 3/Warblade 2/Fist of Zuoken 4/Cryokineticist 10.

I was having real trouble justifying Cryo levels, even going so far as to include in the backstory that he was so ashamed of his poor level choices that he gave up adventuring and became a bartender, only using his abilities to keep drinks cold.
    Last edited by TroubleBrewing; 2012-01-17 at 11:17 AM.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    Wish I'd gotten my internets hooked up in time, but the cable guy didn't show up until yesterday...

My build wasn't quite finished, but what I had was an Azurin Druidic Avenger 1/Cobra Strike Monk 3/Warblade 2/Fist of Zuoken 4/Cryokineticist 10.

I was having real trouble justifying Cryo levels, even going so far as to include in the backstory that he was so ashamed of his poor level choices that he gave up adventuring and became a bartender, only using his abilities to keep drinks cold.
    unfortunately, the source backs you up since "NPC cryokineticists...bring their unique control of cold to warm or even hot environments, charging dearly for their cold-generating [sic] powers."

so the game's telling you to be an ice chest too.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #221

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post

Bartender was going to be in my fluff as well.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Awww, that kind of makes me want to make the guy from Outcast as cryokineticist. Just because of the scene on the airplane with the ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    unfortunately, the source backs you up since "NPC cryokineticists...bring their unique control of cold to warm or even hot environments, charging dearly for their cold-generating [sic] powers."

so the game's telling you to be an ice chest too.
    This made me giggle.

I'm already looking forward to the next challenge.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    This made me giggle.

I'm already looking forward to the next challenge.
    I'm glad it did :D

me too, can't wait to see what it is.

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Flu recovered from, brain cells back online, and (more importantly to the lurkers on this board) judging completed. Scores and analysis as follows:

Old Man Winter - 14.0
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality - 3.5 - Wilder or Ardent to qualify, no surprises there. I do like the giant theme though. (+0.5)

Power - 4.0 - There are few things the Cryokineticist lends itself to, but grappling is one of them. Huge size, maximized grapple, and energy damage make the best of a bad situation (+0.5). The Power Resistance and Dispel options are good additions as well. (+0.5)

Elegance - 3.75 - A ten level class followed by a ten level prestige class gets points for simplicity (+0.5), and the backstory ties everything together smoothly (+0.25).

Use of SI - 2.75 - All ten levels of the prestige class is expected, but it comes online a bit late (-0.5). Of the three required skills, Concentration has maximum ranks by level 20 (+0.25), Knowledge (psi) gets some love, but Craft (Alchemy) stays at the bare minimum (-0.25). You make good use of both Frozen Fist and Greater Weapon Afrost, which I consider kind of baseline for this category, so I'll give a bonus (+0.25) for having a high CHA to work the Bone Chill capstone power.

Calipso - 10.75
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality - 4.0 - Not every day you see someone work in a +4 Level Adjustment, and the theme fits well (+1.0). Wilder is one of the expected entries though, so no adjustment there.

Power - 2.0 - A ranged attack build with a Tiny bow... you're basically doing energy damage and that's it (-1.0). Yes, you have the pixie invisibility, resistances, and powers going for you (+0.5), but that also means you can't start playing the build before level 5 and you're terminally weak when doing so (-0.5).

Elegance - 2.0 - Why does someone with Ranged Touch attacks need to spend 3 feats to upgrade their shooting to be a Ranged Touch Attack (-0.5)? And for that matter, why spend one of your 2nd level psi powers on Concealment when you have Improved Invisibility at will (-0.5)?

Use of SI - 2.75 - other than the reference to a Jack Frost motif, I can't see too much reason to take Cryokineticist. (But in this Iron Chef, I'm not deducting for that. Go figure.) All ten levels of the prestige class is expected, but it comes online a bit late (-0.5). You maximize the concentration skill (+0.25), apply a few extra ranks to Knowledge (Psi), and neglect Craft (Alchemy) (-0.25). You utilize Bolt of Cold and the weapon enhancements well, and I'm considering that kind of baseline for the Special Ingredient, so putting some extra love onto Bone Chill (Ability focus, high CHA stat) is worth a bonus (+0.5). However, since this character can fly, Cold Walk is a total waste (-0.25).

The Antipode - 12.75
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality - 3.5 - Fire and ice, nice trick (+0.25), would have been worth more if you were the only one who did it. Harmonious Knight is also unexpected on any build that doesn't require bardly goodness (+0.25).

Power - 3.75 - Frozen Fist plus Hand Afire plus Greater Weapon Afrost is an interesting mix (+0.5), and you're throwing 6d6 fire damage touch attacks at will, making you a mini-warlock (+0.25).

Elegance - 2.75 - You take two devotion feats, but stop just short of taking Turn Undead as a Paladin to power them (-0.25). The build also seems to derive more power from Pyrokineticist than it does from the special ingredient (-0.25), but it blends the two nicely in concept (+0.25).

Use of SI - 2.75 - All ten levels of the special ingredient is expected, so that's a mild hit (-0.25). While the skill synergy between your two prestige classes is beautiful (+0.25), you neglect to maximize any of the prerequisite skills and once you qualify for the PrCs you never take another rank in Knowledge (Psi) (-0.25) or Craft (Alchemy) (-0.25) again. You utilize Frozen Fist and Greater Weapon Afrost well, so that's baseline for UoSI as far as I'm concerned, and I'll give a bonus for finding something excellent to do with Frostfell Creature Insight (all that fire damage) (+0.25).

SGACSPD - 10.75
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality - 3.25 - Ardent to qualify, expected. Dungeoncrasher... not so expected (+0.25).

Power - 4.0 - Dungeoncrasher (+0.5) that can create walls (+0.5). Awesome.

Elegance - 1.25 - As a Dragonborn fighter with a 14 INT, you get 4 skill points per level, but Concentration is not a class skill for fighters, so as presented, your skill point expenditures (and thus your qualifying for Cryokineticist) are illegal (-2.0). Skill with making Ice sculptures is a classy touch, though. (+0.25)

Use of SI - 2.25 - All ten levels of the prestige class is expected, so no bonus or penalty there. You acquire the concentration skill illegally (penalty in previous category) and then fail to take another rank in it once qualified for the PrC (-0.25). Likewise you take the minimum ranks in Knowledge (Psi) and Craft (Alchemy) and do not develop them further (-0.5). You utilize
    Greater Weapon Afrost and the Wall of Ice powers (and I'm giving good use of two powers as a baseline in judging this round), but the rest are not particularly developed in the build and thus warrants no bonus or penalty.

Bjorn Doragoniru - 12.0
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality - 4.0 - Fire and ice, nice trick (+0.25), would have been worth more if you were the only one who did it. Ardent again, no bonus there. But an incarnum powered build, that's a pleasant surprise (+0.5). Extra bonus for making me discover the existance of the Soul Manifester PrC (+0.25).

Power - 3.75 - Bonus for blending both Psi and Incarnum to a high power level (+0.5) and being able to react to various immunities and resistances is important for a blaster type (+0.25)

Elegance - 2.5 - This build has good flow for a psi/incarnum mystic theurge (+0.5), right up until you interrrupt it for the Special ingredient (-0.5). The backstory likewise just kind of falls apart at that point (I love fire, fire, fire, fire, so I think I'll take a cold PrC now!), like he got tired of being awesome at what he does and decided to experiment with sucking at it instead (-0.5). Pyrokineticist would have been a great fit, but Cryo... is just a roleplaying facepalm.

Use of SI - 1.75 - All ten levels of the prestige class is expected, so penalty for only taking five (-0.5). Cryokineticist prerequisite skills are given some love after you qualify, and one of them (Concentration) is maxxed out (+0.25). But what in the bloody heck are you doing taking levels in Cryokineticist??? A 10th level in Soul Manifester followed by 4 more Ardent levels (or some other Psi PrC) would have been FAR more powerful. Penalty there (-1.0). You maybe get a little use out of Bolt of Cold and Frostfell Creature insight, maybe, so I'll be kind and not penalize you further.

And at the risk of giving my Honorable Mention nod to the build I scored the highest, I have to give it to Old Man Winter because his back story is just excellent.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

So far

Antipode= 55.5
    Old Man Winter= 51.75
    Mr. Acronym= 50
    Bjorn= 49.50
    Calipso= 42

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    So far

Antipode= 55.5
    Old Man Winter= 51.75
    Mr. Acronym= 50
    Bjorn= 49.50
    Calipso= 42
    just to make sure, you're using my updated judgings, right? I wouldn't want bjorn and old man winter to be shortchanged any points on my account.

Iron Chef Medals!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Cool. So how many judgings are left to come in?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    just to make sure, you're using my updated judgings, right? I wouldn't want bjorn and old man winter to be shortchanged any points on my account.
    My judgings were also updated the day after I posted.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

20. - Top - End - #230

Imp

I added them all up just before I posted, so any changes should be included. But feel free to double check me.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Double checked you. Your totals are correct based on what is posted now.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

I added them all up just before I posted, so any changes should be included. But feel free to double check me.
    great, thank you

Iron Chef Medals!

23. - Top - End - #233

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Cool. So how many judgings are left to come in?
    I think that was everybody who said they were going to judge. But we still have 8 days. And as far as I understand it, anybody can just show up and judge as long as they aren't a contestant and as long as they have the Secret Ingredient source book. So maybe, hopefully, we might get another judge to pop in.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can I recommend Knight of the Sacred Seal for a future contest? I know it's five levels, but there's built in room for customization, and lot's of interesting stuff it can be used for.

Plus everyone is bone-tired from Cryo.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

25. - Top - End - #235

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Can I recommend Knight of the Sacred Seal for a future contest? I know it's five levels, but there's built in room for customization, and lot's of interesting stuff it can be used for.

Plus everyone is bone-tired from Cryo.
    When you are ready to be evil again you can do Great Rift Skyguard.

Edit: or ooo...ooo! CAVELORD! that is an aweful one muhauahua!
    Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 2012-01-20 at 12:43 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

When you are ready to be evil again you can do Great Rift Skyguard.

Edit: or ooo...ooo! CAVELORD! that is an aweful one muhauahua!
    I kind of like cavelord. have there been any of the old faerun classes in an IC yet?

"more meat to it" could mean fleshwarper, which would be cool with me, but it's a little more powerful than the norm on these. OTOH, it is really difficult to qualify for (assuming amph doesn't just say that we need 4 ranks in heal as intended instead of 10) but I still think it's acoltye of the skin.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

I'm excited about Acolyte of the Skin as well.

A setting-based class might be a bit restrictive, especially as far as backstory is concerned. That and not everyone might have the relevant handbook. But if it ever comes up in the future, I'd want to see Gnome Artificer, from Magic of Faerun. Such a useless class, but with such a huge coolness factor
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Second the Gnome Artificer.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239

NecromancerGuy

I think that was everybody who said they were going to judge. But we still have 8 days. And as far as I understand it, anybody can just show up and judge as long as they aren't a contestant and as long as they have the Secret Ingredient source book. So maybe, hopefully, we might get another judge to pop in.
    I have no problem calling the contest early (thanks to a bunch of super-quick judges!), but only if the contestants are okay with it AND there are no more interested judges. How would folks feel about shutting this one down cold 36 hours from this post? If that's not enough time for any remaining prospective judges, please speak up.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240

I know I rumbled about judging, but that won't be necessary. Please, let's put this wretched ingredient behind us and go onto the next wretched ingredient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC