New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Where did your user name come from?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Nice! Love those things.
    "Those things" as in palindromes or tylenol?
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    "Those things" as in palindromes or tylenol?
    Palindromes.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Its my SCA name.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Palindromes.
    Here you go!
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

My current name (Elimu Marimech)– It's the name of the character I played in the longest running D&D campaign I ever had. (3-4 sessions. We're bad at keeping them going) He/she was a dromite wilder, if anyone was wondering.

My name change request (Razanir)– So I read a fan fiction where someone retold Ocarina of Time with pokémon. This made me want to write my own but LotR instead of OoT. It's on hiatus for anyone who's wondering. Anyway, I needed a name for my account there, so I picked what I thought I remembered as Pippin's name in Westron. Turns out, I misremembered his name. Peregrin is actually Razanur. Either way, the name's stuck with me around the internet.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    1. My first name is Jay.
    2. My surname starts with an R.
    3. I decided not to use my complete name.

Pretty boring, actually.
    1. My first initial is T
    2. My second initial is C
    3. The beginning of my last name is Rudisi
    4. I also decided not to use my complete name.
    5. This came from university naming systems where almost all universities give you a username based on first initial, middle initial, and first 6 letters of your family name.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    1. My first initial is T
    2. My second initial is C
    3. The beginning of my last name is Rudisi
    4. I also decided not to use my complete name.
    5. This came from university naming systems where almost all universities give you a username based on first initial, middle initial, and first 6 letters of your family name.
    The two colleges I've been to do first initial, full last name. One includes year of entry at the end. So like jsmith13 or something.
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGirl

My username, Serpent Stare, has been my tag in one form or another for a long time. It is a derivative of "Snake Eyes", which is a nickname a friend gave me in my preteen years, because I had a habit of rolling my eyes back to the whites and making a rattling hiss. I just thought it was cool. Once, when I saw a bible-thumper who was bashing gays on a website's built-in IRC, I assumed the name SerpentStare to serve as both a reference to my nickname, and to the serpent in the garden of Eden, thus establishing an antagonistic standpoint towards the gay-basher and taking up argument against him: Damn straight I was going to Hell, and he'd meet me there; me for my deviance, him for his hate. It was the most fun internet argument I'd ever gotten in, including insults exchanged in Shakespearean English (he called me a harlot - it was hilarious!) to the point where I got up from the keyboard and danced around after every post. At the end of it, I thanked him for the dance, and he, whoever he was -thanked me back-.
    I liked the name SerpentStare, found it sounded a little more mature and dangerous to me than Snake Eyes, and have used it ever since.
    Last edited by Serpent Stare; 2013-01-01 at 09:01 PM.
    Subtlety is the art of changing something just enough
    that people notice the difference,
    without noticing the change.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

My birthday is on Groundhog Day. Pretty simple.
    My commiepuppy was a gift from BRC

Timeless Error stole all the things that I could possibly be mistaken for. *happy dances*

I made my avatar. If you want to see other stuff I made, click here.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

I stole it from a book (Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern for anyone who doesn't recognise it) My penpal and I were both in love with the Pern books and decided we needed Pern nicknames, she was Lessa and I ended up with Moreta. Then when I first signed up to an online forum, the name I had originally wanted was already taken, so I figured why not use the nickname I already had? Initially it was just 'Moreta', but after that forum died, and got reinvented, I noticed one of the other members had put 'Lord' before his name, and I figured if he could nobilify himself, then so could I, so I tacked 'Lady' at the front.

Then when I came here, I was so used to being Lady Moreta that it wasn't much of a choice really. It's now gotten to the point where people have nicknamed the nickname, and shortened Moreta into various other forms.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

I played Deus Ex for the first time in the same year we studied Greece in school and I spent about a month binging on Greek Mythology. Needless to say, being the kickass Greek inventor who transcended mankind's limitations was a lot cooler than being his idiot son, or the sun god in a rather random reference.

So, about 50% because of the AI Daedalus, and 50% because the actual mythological Daedalus was a pretty cool dude. The MkV bit is just because Daedalus is almost always taken, and I tend to ignore it where I can.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

12. - Top - End - #72

Save Yourself (NSFW due to language) by Aesop Rock.

Specifically, the line:
    Now I'm thinkin' "Who am I?" Jabberwocky Superfly bent left,
    Pushin' war without the ten step cushion and what (what)
    I plan to hold this B-positive sacred in these golde veins
    Until the day I die from grimace overload.

Aes is probably my favourite lyricist and musical artist (tied with the Johns from They Might Be Giants), I loved the imagery & satirical bend that the lyrics held, and gleefully stole the name as a type of veneration.

I've also been known as DrunkAtheist, 1000Bayonets, and MusicAngelsMake elsewhere, which are all references to Mr. Ian Bavitz's lyrics as well.

All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way - Aesop Rock "Daylight"

My PAD Herder (it's mostly up-to-date... mostly)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Raimun is a character from a somewhat obscure videogame. I liked the sound of it and used to use it as a gaming name whenever I couldn't think of anything else.
    Last edited by Raimun; 2013-01-03 at 10:12 AM.
    Signatures are so 90's.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

I choose my name because of the typcally Dutch weather,
    when it rains, everybody on the street is a grey shadow

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    In the long, distant past, I had a history teacher who thought that Wynton was too boring of a name, so she took to calling me Wyntonian. I liked it, it stuck, it's never taken and I use it for everything now. If you see a Wyntonian elsewhere on the internet, it's probably me.
    surreptitiously puts Wyntonian accounts across the length of the internet.

My name comes from my area of birth/currently occupied location. I rule it so gently no one has noticed yet! I also picked this name about 12 years ago now...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGirl

The first video game I ever got really super excited about was the second generation of pokemon. It was what made me buy my first game magazine, I liked the design of silver more than gold, also put the first two letters together and you have the initials of gold and silver.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Jib was my imaginary friend from when I was little. I just kept using the name over and over.

18. - Top - End - #78

My story is far too long and wonderous to commit to mere language.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Silver View Post
    The first video game I ever got really super excited about was the second generation of pokemon. It was what made me buy my first game magazine, I liked the design of silver more than gold, also put the first two letters together and you have the initials of gold and silver.
    Haha! The truth has been spoken!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

I have a penchant for puns (a punchant, you might say), an interest in devils (both baatezu and Biblical), and a refined taste in literature (speaking of which: Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books), so my username combines all three. (Also apparently a fondness for parentheses, but that isn't relevant to the username.)

I settled on this particular punny name due to the avatar, or rather due to an event the avatar reminded me of. Story spoilered for length:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was running a Baator-themed game during which the PC decided to try (emphasis on try) to dethrone Asmodeus. Unfortunately for the PCs, between excellent preparation and tactics on the part of Big A (including this) and incredibly unlucky rolls on their part, they just never caught a break. It got so bad that when they would talk strategy between sessions I started assuming my Asmodeus persona and taunting them about how the universe bent to his whims, they could never succeed, etc.

They kept doing badly enough that by a few sessions later they were convinced that Murphy's Law was on Asmodeus's side, and the rogue's player (who'd been rolling practically all 1s and 2s on his hit dice and sneak attack dice with the two old, crappy d6s he owned) had gotten new dice for Christmas, so when we got together for New Year's and had a bonfire he planned to make a burnt offering to the dice gods to settle his luck. Right before he tossed his two d6s into the fire, I made some crack along the lines of "Your sacrifice is useless, some people are just doomed to go through life rolling one snake eyes after another," and when the dice fell in the fire...well, take a look at my avatar.

Everyone there couldn't believe their eyes, and I of course played it off as if I'd planned it that way; the rogue PC left the party shortly thereafter and was replaced by a sorcerer who made a point of needing to make as few rolls as possible. So when I was searching for cool avatars and happened across this picture, I had to come up with a name that matched the avatar and its associations, and the rest is history.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2013-01-08 at 03:51 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    I have a penchant for puns (a punchant, you might say), an interest in devils (both baatezu and Biblical), and a refined taste in literature (speaking of which: Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books), so my username combines all three. (Also apparently a fondness for parentheses, but that isn't relevant to the username.)

I settled on this particular punny name due to the avatar, or rather due to an event the avatar reminded me of. Story spoilered for length:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was running a Baator-themed game during which the PC decided to try (emphasis on try) to dethrone Asmodeus. Unfortunately for the PCs, between excellent preparation and tactics on the part of Big A (including this) and incredibly unlucky rolls on their part, they just never caught a break. It got so bad that when they would talk strategy between sessions I started assuming my Asmodeus persona and taunting them about how the universe bent to his whims, they could never succeed, etc.

They kept doing badly enough that by a few sessions later they were convinced that Murphy's Law was on Asmodeus's side, and the rogue's player (who'd been rolling practically all 1s and 2s on his hit dice and sneak attack dice with the two old, crappy d6s he owned) had gotten new dice for Christmas, so when we got together for New Year's and had a bonfire he planned to make a burnt offering to the dice gods to settle his luck. Right before he tossed his two d6s into the fire, I made some crack along the lines of "Your sacrifice is useless, some people are just doomed to go through life rolling one snake eyes after another," and when the dice fell in the fire...well, take a look at my avatar.

Everyone there couldn't believe their eyes, and I of course played it off as if I'd planned it that way; the rogue PC left the party shortly thereafter and was replaced by a sorcerer who made a point of needing to make as few rolls as possible. So when I was searching for cool avatars and happened across this picture, I had to come up with a name that matched the avatar and its associations, and the rest is history.
    Wow, that's just excellent.
    Jude P.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Wow, that's just excellent.
    It really is.
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

23. - Top - End - #83

Chimera

A magic sword I made up, randomly named, and either have not used in any story whatsoever or utterly forgot what kind of story idea I intended to use it for as soon after I made it. The name stuck somehow despite being complete gobbledegook and end up recycled into a character's name and later one of mymost common internet handle.

24. - Top - End - #84

I love this ship. Everything about it except actually using it in games. And, for some reason, nobody else takes the name, a phenomenon which I find both strange and useful.
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

25. - Top - End - #85
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

I PLAYED THAT PIRATES GAME.

Still have all my ships somewhere at home. Think they're mixed with my brother's collection as well unfortunately. It was so much fun and the ships were so pretty!
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Tnx.

I have a penchant for puns (a punchant, you might say), an interest in devils (both baatezu and Biblical), and a refined taste in literature, so my username combines all three.

Spoiler
    Show

That's amazing. I have always found your User name... brilliant, but with this story, it's now one of my favourites.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    I PLAYED THAT PIRATES GAME.

Still have all my ships somewhere at home. Think they're mixed with my brother's collection as well unfortunately. It was so much fun and the ships were so pretty!
    I once won a game with my brother in something around four turns. And then there were the 200-point deathmatches... Now all my ships are in tins somewhere (except for the Tortoise, which is on my Shelf of Shiny Objects and Miscellaneous Diminuative Keepsakes.)
    DeviantART

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    My name comes from my area of birth/currently occupied location. I rule it so gently no one has noticed yet! I also picked this name about 12 years ago now...
    And all this time I thought you were a despot to televisions. Your pony seems too friendly to be that.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Tortoise View Post
    I once won a game with my brother in something around four turns. And then there were the 200-point deathmatches... Now all my ships are in tins somewhere (except for the Tortoise, which is on my Shelf of Shiny Objects and Miscellaneous Diminuative Keepsakes.)
    I can't remember many of the games, unfortunately. I mostly wanted to collect the pretty ships. Did a few games which I'm pretty sure I won most of the time. Weren't that big a points level.

Disappointed that it seems to have disappeared. Might have to try and find my old pirate ships and rules and see what I can do about making my own ships...
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

30. - Top - End - #90

I made my own islands out of clay. They were really stupid though...

Is there a thread for non-D&D miniature game discussion?
    Last edited by Proud Tortoise; 2013-01-09 at 10:41 PM.
    DeviantART