New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Sage Advice: Feats

Since I didn't see anyone else posting it...
    http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feat...geadvice_feats

As close as we're going to get to official rulings on a lot of corner cases. Amusingly all of these were my own interpretation as well, except the second ruling under magic initiate. Fun stuff. I imagine this will spark a whole new wave of contention, as such rulings often do.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Sage Advice: Feats

Interesting. Though I wasn't really sure of the issues since I haven't really looked at those feats in depth.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quite disappointed that he allows the same Hand Crossbow to be fired, but does not allow dual wielding Hand Crossbows. Totally the wrong choice imo. I'll be ruling the other way.

Also Lucky making Disadvantage super advantage is astronomically bad. You're better off using lucky when you have disadvantage than normal.
    Last edited by Kryx; 2015-05-18 at 03:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kryx View Post
    Quite disappointed that he allows the same Hand Crossbow to be fired, but does not allow dual wielding Hand Crossbows. Totally the wrong choice imo. I'll be ruling the other way.
    Agreed. Way to ruin a perfectly fun and not unbalanced fantasy concept from being played RAW.

Well, two concepts. Dual-wielding hand crossbows, and having a melee weapon in the other hand. Since you'd get one shot per fight from the hand crossbow.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Thumbs up Re: Sage Advice: Feats

I'm actually pleased with the ruling on crossbows, as I am currently trying to construct an effective ranged assassin who uses one hand crossbow as a primary weapon. This may be a terrible idea, but I haven't been able to math my way to victory on that yet.
    If you aren't in over your head, how will you know how tall you are? ~T.S. Eliot

The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present. ~Alice Morse Earle

Have you ever noticed that read rhymes with lead, and read rhymes with lead? Also read and lead don't rhyme. Neither do read and lead.

Avatar done by the amazing and clearly talented Alarra!

6. - Top - End - #6

Also Lucky making Disadvantage super advantage is astronomically bad. You're better off using lucky when you have disadvantage than normal.
    Yeah, my house ruling here allows you to pick between your lucky roll and the lower of your first two disadvantage rolls. Crawford's ruling here is kinda... bad.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Note it says you need a free hand so no hand crossbow + shield (unless it is an animated shield)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, two concepts. Dual-wielding hand crossbows, and having a melee weapon in the other hand. Since you'd get one shot per fight from the hand crossbow.
    It seems to me that, for a character with the Crossbow Expert feat, fighting with a hand crossbow and a melee weapon would look like this:

Round 1: Make a melee attack, put away the melee weapon, fire the hand crossbow.
    Round 2: Fire the hand crossbow, draw the melee weapon, make a melee attack.

Rinse, repeat.

You're better off using lucky when you have disadvantage than normal.
    To me, this seems completely natural. Isn't the purpose of that feat to help characters escape nasty situations?
    Last edited by burninatortrog; 2015-05-18 at 04:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Toss hand crossbow 1, load hand crossbow 2 and fire, catch hand crossbow 1, repeat. Might need sleight of hand proficiency for that one, though.

You could also do like Cadderly from the Cleric Quintet and keep hand crossbows strapped to your belt on tethers. It's canon.
    Last edited by Easy_Lee; 2015-05-18 at 04:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGirl

Having two semi automatic hand crossbows is no different mechanically than having one hand crossbow and reloading it over and over.... The mechanics are just the same, the biggest difference is one brings in John Woo and the other supports Clint Eastwood more.

I hope that makes sense lol.
    Overhaul Rules (I would like to see placed into D&D)
    9 Damage Types: Acid, Bludgeoning, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Necrotic, Piercing, Radiant, and Slashing

4 Condition Types for D&D: Debilitation, Contact, Confusion, and Compulsion

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, being able to use just one is very convenient if you find a magical crossbow.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

12. - Top - End - #12

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    Well, being able to use just one is very convenient if you find a magical crossbow.
    Yes, but magic items are not assumed to be part of the game, and most don't play at a level they are really needed.

Which you could just make a pair of hand crossbows that each have the same properties and one only works if the other is being wielded too.

Give some fluff about them being a older sister/younger brother pair of weapons? *shrug*
    9 Damage Types: Acid, Bludgeoning, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Necrotic, Piercing, Radiant, and Slashing

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Sure you can dual-wield. Attack with a Hand Crossbow (which is a one-handed weapon), then use your bonus action to attack with another Hand Crossbow. It's the same as using the feat to Sword-and-PistolHand Crossbow it. Now if you are referring to how you only need one Hand Crossbow to use the trick, then dual Hand Crossbows does become superfluous, and in fact problematic with the ammunition feature, but not out-and-out disallowed. It comes down to which you find more acceptable - a feat that gives you an extra attack with a specific weapon, or being able to load crossbows while your hands are full. Or both.

I'm going to have to think about the implications for Lucky here, but thematically pulling off the impossible when the cards (or dice) are stacked against you seems like an appropriate use. But I can see how that could quickly degenerate into Discworld-style probability manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyRain View Post
    Having two semi automatic hand crossbows is no different mechanically than having one hand crossbow and reloading it over and over.... The mechanics are just the same, the biggest difference is one brings in John Woo and the other supports Clint Eastwood more.

I think that sums it up perfectly. The bonus action shot and fast reload one Hand Crossbow does have the feel of fanning a single-action revolver.
    Last edited by Joe the Rat; 2015-05-18 at 04:25 PM.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

14. - Top - End - #14

But the same mechanic that allows for John Woo allows for Clint Eastwood to also have a shield.

I am very supportive of the handbow clarifications. It is the way I thought they were written, and the way I thought they should be.

Not happy with the Lucky ruling (not overly concerned however) I agree it should be
    1) roll 2 dice for Disadv, pick lowest.
    2)If you want, you may roll another die and use it or the die picked above.

But, I don't think its that big of a deal.

15. - Top - End - #15

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    But the same mechanic that allows for John Woo allows for Clint Eastwood to also have a shield.

I am very supportive of the handbow clarifications. It is the way I thought they were written, and the way I thought they should be.
    Ummm so? Give the person a shield, big whoop.

It is a good tactics and doesn't unbalanced the game. Warlock + moderately armored = Shield + Eldritch Blast (1d10+ Cha, 1d10+Cha) at level 5.

Noncasters should get cool things too.

I know it blows peoples minds but tolkien ISN'T the be all end all of fantasy.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Ummm so? Give the person a shield, big whoop.

It is a good tactics and doesn't unbalanced the game. Warlock + moderately armored = Shield + Eldritch Blast (1d10+ Cha, 1d10+Cha) at level 5.

Noncasters should get cool things too.

I know it blows peoples minds but tolkien ISN'T the be all end all of fantasy.
    Crossbow Expert is a little bit better damage than Eldritch blast, given the bonus attack and ability to use it in melee. Warlocks using EB is also the only cantrip for which it's possible to add one's casting stat more than once, meaning fighters start pulling ahead at 5 if not sooner.
    Last edited by Easy_Lee; 2015-05-18 at 05:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

So if you get Magic initiate for the same class, you effectively gain additional spell slot which can be used for a different spell than you chose for the feat?

You can do this way also with Eldritch knight and Arcane trickster if choosing Wizard's Magic initiate?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.U.P.A. View Post
    So if you get Magic initiate for the same class, you effectively gain additional spell slot which can be used for a different spell than you chose for the feat?

You can do this way also with Eldritch knight and Arcane trickster if choosing Wizard's Magic initiate?
    As written in the article, it seems that way.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Reloading a crossbow and firing rapidly makes way more sense than firing and reloading two hand crossbows.

I do traditional archery. Crossbows are not my thing, but I've played with both regular and hand crossbows.
    Getting off more than one bolt in 6 seconds means you are damned good, but I have seen it happen. (well, I saw 9 in 30 seconds, which is close) Firing 3 times in 6 seconds would be superhumanly fast.

Using a crossbow in each hand doesn't work at all without some sort of magical (or maybe gnomish engineering) explanation.
    Reloading a crossbow (hand-crossbow or otherwise) is simply a two handed operation.

That said, this comes down to straight style, since the mechanics work out the same. In things like that, I usually default to letting the player describe it the way they want.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    Yeah, my house ruling here allows you to pick between your lucky roll and the lower of your first two disadvantage rolls. Crawford's ruling here is kinda... bad.
    This is what I assumed the ruling was until I reread it. That's really bizarre. Based on Crawford's ruling, a Lucky character should drop prone before attacking so he gets to roll three dice, and then stand back up at the end of his turn to suffer no ill effects...

21. - Top - End - #21

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kajorma View Post
    Reloading a crossbow and firing rapidly makes way more sense than firing and reloading two hand crossbows.

I do traditional archery. Crossbows are not my thing, but I've played with both regular and hand crossbows.
    Getting off more than one bolt in 6 seconds means you are damned good, but I have seen it happen. (well, I saw 9 in 30 seconds, which is close) Firing 3 times in 6 seconds would be superhumanly fast.

Using a crossbow in each hand doesn't work at all without some sort of magical (or maybe gnomish engineering) explanation.
    Reloading a crossbow (hand-crossbow or otherwise) is simply a two handed operation.

That said, this comes down to straight style, since the mechanics work out the same. In things like that, I usually default to letting the player describe it the way they want.
    Go read the definition of fantasy please. D&D is a fantasy game not a simulation game.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Advice, Crossbow Expert
    Does Crossbow Expert let you fire a hand crossbow and then fire it again as a bonus action? It does! Take a look at the feat’s third benefit. It says you can attack with a hand crossbow as a bonus action when you use the Attack action to attack with a one-handed weapon. A hand crossbow is a one-handed weapon, so it can, indeed, be used for both attacks, assuming you have a hand free to load the hand crossbow between the two attacks.
    My crossbow-wielding arcane trickster rogue sends his regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Advice, Lucky
    For example, if you have disadvantage on your attack roll, you could spend a luck point, roll a third d20, and then decide which of the three dice to use. You still have disadvantage, since the feat doesn’t say it gets rid of it, but you do get to pick the die.
    This is absurd. Crawford may have just made Lucky the strongest feat in the game. I really hope they backtrack on this.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    Crawford's ruling here is kinda... bad.
    All of his rulings are exceptionally bad with the sole exception of Polearm Master which was so straight forward he couldn't possibly mess it up.

His interpretation of Crossbow Expert essentially turns a Hand Crossbow into a two-handed weapon which completely invalidates the Hand Crossbow's reason for existing. You may as well just use a Heavy Crossbow and call it a day. I also have no idea how he turned it into a two-handed weapon and still decided that the feat's third benefit would apply.

Lucky turning disadvantage into super advantage is monstrously bad and doesn't need any form of commentary as to why. It also turns enemy attacks with advantage into super disadvantage. I guess the smart combat technique is to make sure you use half your movement to lay down prone before a melee combatant attacks you.

As for Magic Initiate, not only is his ruling wrong (The feat flat out says that the spell can only be cast once per day, end of story) but it is also exceptionally weird. His clause that you can use spell slots to cast the spell but only if it is a spell your class has access to anyway flies in the face of what spell slots are. As per the Multiclassing rules, spell slots don't care one bit where the spell is coming from - in order to come up with his strange ruling, he had to literally invent a whole new mechanic which is contrary to the mechanics defined within the books. I do kind of like it though, it makes Magic Initiate far more useful.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.U.P.A. View Post

No it is the opposite of what you said.
    The Magic Initiate feat gives you a spell which you can cast once per day but his ruling enables you also to use your spell slots to cast that spell so it can be cast more than once per day. You can't cast your other spells as that once per day action.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giant2005 View Post
    No it is the opposite of what you said.
    The Magic Initiate feat gives you a spell which you can cast once per day but his ruling enables you also to use your spell slots to cast that spell so it can be cast more than once per day. You can't cast your other spells as that once per day action.
    Right, his ruling is that you also add the spell to your spells known if it's from your class. It doesn't create a slot, so you still treat the spell you chose as a once / day power. Otherwise warlocks would have a field day with this one.
    Last edited by Easy_Lee; 2015-05-18 at 05:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giant2005 View Post
    All of his rulings are exceptionally bad with the sole exception of Polearm Master which was so straight forward he couldn't possibly mess it up.

His interpretation of Crossbow Expert essentially turns a Hand Crossbow into a two-handed weapon which completely invalidates the Hand Crossbow's reason for existing. You may as well just use a Heavy Crossbow and call it a day. I also have no idea how he turned it into a two-handed weapon and still decided that the feat's third benefit would apply.

Lucky turning disadvantage into super advantage is monstrously bad and doesn't need any form of commentary as to why. It also turns enemy attacks with advantage into super disadvantage. I guess the smart combat technique is to make sure you use half your movement to lay down prone before a melee combatant attacks you.

As for Magic Initiate, not only is his ruling wrong (The feat flat out says that the spell can only be cast once per day, end of story) but it is also exceptionally weird. His clause that you can use spell slots to cast the spell but only if it is a spell your class has access to anyway flies in the face of what spell slots are. As per the Multiclassing rules, spell slots don't care one bit where the spell is coming from - in order to come up with his strange ruling, he had to literally invent a whole new mechanic which is contrary to the mechanics defined within the books. I do kind of like it though, it makes Magic Initiate far more useful.
    I agree with everything said here. Terrible terrible sage advice.

I will personally allow for hand crossbows to be strapped to the wrist or allow for repeating ones to be purchased. Twice with the same one invalidates any reason to dual wield them at all. No thanks.
    Last edited by Kryx; 2015-05-18 at 05:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Lee View Post
    Right, his ruling is that you also add the spell to your spells known if it's from your class. It doesn't create a slot, so you still treat the spell you chose as a once / day power. Otherwise warlocks would have a field day with this one.
    Ah good point.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

With regards to his clarification on Lucky, I can't help but get the feeling that he didn't say what he meant. Otherwise, what was the point of him saying "You still have disadavantage"? I agree that the reading that I have and that everyone above seems to have is terrible.

Other than that, no problem with the clarifications here.
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Otherwise, what was the point of him saying "You still have disadavantage"?
    Certain game mechanics, like Sneak Attack, depend on whether or not a roll has disadvantage.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by burninatortrog View Post
    Certain game mechanics, like Sneak Attack, depend on whether or not a roll has disadvantage.
    Ah, good point.
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.