Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XVIII

I think FI is going to be very exiting.
    ____

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    I agree. The only annoying thing is the wait. Someone post with the main plot of FFF and attack the Shades already!

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.
    Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    Presumably it's going to be entering first.
    Also, I'm working on a comic, but it's delayed by needing to draw things on paper and trace other things in Flash for TAFE. And for the record I had a good enough UAI to get into any university degree I wanted to.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Yeah, but it makes people slightly more at ease. If the UNA can afford to mock the ALF, it must mean that it isn't THAT serious. It's sort of sub conscious.
    But it's not even that mocking. "See, we call them FAIL because that's what they're gonna do!" Just seems to be childish to me.
    Also, if they call them ALF, it's acting like they believe that they're actually trying to 'free' Avbaroy. It's like saying that you're scared of 666. People might think you're fooled, and are unaware that it's actually 616. By convincing people to call them by a different name, it's easier to see who believes in the 'ALF'.
    If they call themselves ALF, we should say that they're a terrorist group calling itself "ALF". If we avoid the name, then people might think we're afraid of them, like avoiding having the thirteenth floor on buildings.
    And while we do refer to them as ALF, we could inform the public that their name and stated intentions are nothing more than propaganda on their part, and speculate as to their true goals.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Titan in the Playground

Using FAIL is pointless, as I've said and childish for a government, as Keris has said.
    You don't see the UN giving another name for the IRA or Hamas.
    And it's quite hypocritical, MM. You've been trying to make ABR more serious and realistic, which is fine to an extent (although I think it’s gone a little too far) and then when something silly comes up that not everyone wants to use, you're all for it.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XVIII

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    315 counts of murder, several counts of arsony and infecting 3 people with Lycanthropy?

These guys are gonna have some serious **** after them. And they won't even have the resistance to hide behind.
    Faquarl/Pyro can change trough several shapes (thus why he has a different shape when in my comic where he's shown looking like a burning Ninga) but bureaucratic errors do that the poster image is never changed so he can just shape-change to trick people, Wolfy's actions get blamed on John but few actually know how he look (investigation divinations shows him as John since they technically is the same person) but yes Sam is troubled (but since propaganda dictates most they do to be resistance work, not many non-UNIA/peacekeepers know that he is completely independent of them and often show up unpredictable places that has absolutely nothing to do with the resistance or politics). Besides that, nobody knows their powers since INSincere wrote about it (it aint good for moral if the soldiers and civilians know that a ghost who mysteriously got a new body and still keeps his ghost powers and a spirit of fire who can burn stuff without even a spell is running around)

But anyway: What would their capture reward be?

^I agree that using FAIL is pointless
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-03-05 at 09:39 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

Two and a half copper coins, and some pocket lint.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Using FAIL is pointless, as I've said and childish for a government, as Keris has said.
    And it's quite hypocritical, MM. You've been trying to make ABR more serious and realistic, which is fine to an extent (although I think it’s gone a little too far) and then when something silly comes up that not everyone wants to use, you're all for it.
    T'was a joke.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-03-05 at 10:03 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Banned

I really don't understand why you guys are so insistent about not using FAIL.
    Is Hamas saying that he's part of a freedom-fighting organization? Is the IRA? No, and even if they were, nobody would call them freedom fighters, except when wagging their fingers. Now stop using that argument, and come up with a new example or something.
    It isn't really that silly, either. Let's use a real-world example: If the USA started calling themselves 'The Liberators Union', or TLU, do you think the Iraqis would call them that?
    If the name 'FAIL' bugs you guys so much, we could come up with a different one, like Group of Overly Terrorist Men In Lairs...of Kittens? Or 'GOTMILK?'
    Hopefully, enough people understood that joke. Google it if you didn't.
    Anyways, GOTMILK? might be inappropriate, but some other acronym which refers to them as terrorists could work.
    /\WHAT?! I go through all this trouble and then you say that you weren't actually for it the whole time?!
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-03-05 at 10:16 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    T'was a joke.
    So the UNA won't be calling them FAIL? Good.

Because the organisation is called ALF.
    Is Hamas saying that he's part of a freedom-fighting organization? Is the IRA? No, and even if they were, nobody would call them freedom fighters, except when wagging their fingers. Now stop using that argument, and come up with a new example or something.
    ALF is saying it's fighting for the liberation of Abaroy, and so the UNA will tell people that that's what they claim to be doing, and then explain what they're actually doing as well.
    It isn't really that silly, either. Let's use a real-world example: If the USA started calling themselves 'The Liberators Union', or TLU, do you think the Iraqis would call them that?
    If the IRA started calling themselves Irish Republicans, would we call them that? Oh wait, they do, and we do.
    If the name 'FAIL' bugs you guys so much, we could come up with a different one, like Group of Overly Terrorist Men In Lairs...of Kittens? Or 'GOTMILK?'
    We could just call ALF ALF. Why shouldn't we accept that that's what they're called?
    Anyways, GOTMILK? might be inappropriate, but some other acronym which refers to them as terrorists could work.
    There's no point in a government making up a fake name for an organisation. It belittles the government.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

T'was a joke.
    Well, it's good to see that's been cleared up.

I made some pages on the Wiki for the various UNA organizations, though I havn't actually put any descriptions in them. I'm thinking each such organization should have a sidebar with their motto, their symbol (All the official ones will have one), and the name of it's leader. I'm trying to think of mottos( these are far from set in stone, for the most part, they are ujst what I thought up,Maybe we should Latinize them)
    UNA Navy: "To Protect, Pursue, And Punish"
    Peacekeepers: "Until the Peace can keep itself."
    UNIA: "Knowledge is power"
    Them: "People do not believe the truth, the truth is what people believe".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not for FAIL, that's too silly, and "Liberation" suggests that the people's freedom are repressed, which would be bad for public relations. I think that most of the time, the UNA will simply call ALF the "Avbaroy resistance movement".
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-03-05 at 10:33 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

Actually they do. >.>

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm not for FAIL, that's too silly, and "Liberation" suggests that the people's freedom are repressed, which would be bad for public relations. I would prefer another title, something like the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Avbaroy, or simply the Avbaroy resistance movement.
    No, ALF works best, because that's what they call themselves. This way if somebody says "I'm from the ALF", everybody thinks "It's those nasty evil guys I read about in the newspaper" not "ALF? Well, things havn't been too good, and they are better than those (To use your suggestion) RAFA guys I've read about in the paper."
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, so now I understand your point, and I can finally agree with you. So let's stop bickering about this and advance that Fat Fish Fury plot so we can (one day) begin Future Imperfect.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-03-05 at 10:39 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

Fun Time (c) approved.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-03-05 at 10:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Banned

Fine, fine, it's clear that my argument is on its own. Again. I really hate it when this happens. I almost always have to compromise.
    How about this" FAIL isn't official. It started on that show, when the main guy mocked the evil Igon Minoblendy by calling his organization 'A FAILure'. It caught on, as people thought it was a funny name, and before anybody knew it, everybody was referring to the ALF as 'FAIL'. The UNA didn't purposefully do it, though they didn't exactly try to quell it. In fact, 'They' helped it along, since the public is less scared of the resistance group when they're always hearing jokes about it.
    /\'Fin Time'? AWESOME!! Let's join Fin Time! Does it have sharks?
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-03-05 at 10:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Fine, fine, it's clear that my argument is on its own. Again. I really hate it when this happens. I almost always have to compromise, rather than actually win for once.
    How about this" FAIL isn't official. It started on that show, when the main guy mocked the evil Igon Minoblendy by calling his organization 'A FAILure'. It caught on, as people thought it was a funny name, and before anybody knew it, everybody was referring to the ALF as 'FAIL'. The UNA didn't purposefully do it, though they didn't exactly try to quell it. In fact, 'They' helped it along, since the public is less scared of the resistance group when they're always hearing jokes about it.
    That work. "FAIL" is the fictional ALF equivalent from "The Adventures of Rex Lator". It's an obvious Expy, but it would be considered disrespectful to those who were killed by the ALF, or because it lets them take more creative liberties with the movies/show/radio program/ comic books. It's occasionally used by the general public, but official sources never use it.
    [/Center]

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    That work. "FAIL" is the fictional ALF equivalent from "The Adventures of Rex Lator". It's an obvious Expy, but it would be considered disrespectful to those who were killed by the ALF, or because it lets them take more creative liberties with the movies/show/radio program/ comic books. It's occasionally used by the general public, but official sources never use it.
    Huh? If FAIL is disrespectful, why isn't The Adventures of Rex Lator? I'm given to understand that it has a lot of things which have little to do with the ALF.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh? If FAIL is disrespectful, why isn't The Adventures of Rex Lator? I'm given to understand that it has a lot of things which have little to do with the ALF.
    The Adventures of Rex Lator is a popular show starring the titular Rex Lator as he defends the UNA against its enemies. It would be disrespectful to put ALF in the show, much like you wouldn't get the IRA in a kids show, so they use the "FAIL", an organisation which obviously parallels ALF, but is different enough that the writers can take creative liberties.

An Expy is an "Exported Character".

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

FAIL isn't, using the actual name "ALF" would be (I misstyped). For example, if you have Rex shoot his way through a dozen ALF combatants, that might offend people who lost family to ALF attacks by implying their dead loved ones must have been really incompetent to get killed by the ALF. Or maybe it just started as a bad pun in the show. Whichever, the point is that while official news sources and the government never use it, commoners may, especially when talking theoretically (For example, if the ALF tries to assasinate Ins, they would never turn to their buddy and say "Did you hear, FAIL tried to assasinate Ins". But they might say "Hey, the peacekeepers are in town, apparently they think FAIL may try somthing")
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

Fine, fine, it's clear that my argument is on its own. Again. I really hate it when this happens. I almost always have to compromise.
    /\'Fin Time'? AWESOME!! Let's join Fin Time! Does it have sharks?
    But now we're back to square one.
    How about this- Let's just not use FAIL.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Banned

But now we're back to square one.
    How about this- Let's just not use FAIL.
    How is it square one? I fail to see the problem you have with this. The others don't seem to mind. I think it's a decent compromise which makes sense.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

How is it square one? I fail to see the problem you have with this. The others don't seem to mind. I think it's a decent compromise which makes sense.
    Because it's completely pointless, has no relevance to anything and all it does is cause unnecessary complications.
    FAIL was simply a joke made by I can't remember who and people took it seriously for some reason.
    And it doesn't make any sense.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Because it's completely pointless, has no relevance to anything and all it does is cause unnecessary complications.
    FAIL was simply a joke made by I can't remember who and people took it seriously for some reason.
    Nothing makes sense, let's just roll with it...So...Those UNA organizations...
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

It was originally made by Kpenguin when we tried to find a name for the resistance.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Banned

It DOES make sense now. I think you're acting like a broken record. Your only argument is that it makes no sense, which it does, and that it complicates things, as do a lot of things. With that attitude, we should go back to random stuff! Because there's no point other than fun, right? And it creates SO MUCH BOTHER to occasionally refer to them by a different name.
    Last edited by The Gremlin; 2009-03-05 at 11:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

It was originally made by Kpenguin when we tried to find a name for the resistance.
    First he sez i haz boobiez, now he sez i haz FAIL... O_e

But in all seriousness, can we drop this FAIL thing and focus of FFF and things which will actually contribute to FI?

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    UNA Navy: "To Protect, Pursue, And Punish"
    Peacekeepers: "Until the Peace can keep itself."
    UNIA: "Knowledge is power"
    Them: "People do not believe the truth, the truth is what people believe".
    To Protect, Pursue and Punish: Protego, Persecutus, Plecto
    Until the Peace can keep itself: Insquequo pacis servo ipsum
    Knowledge is power: Scientia potentia est

It don't think Their motto needs a Latin version, it's not like they'll put it on business cards or anything.
    And "Scientia potentia est" was said by Bacon, but I just played about with online translators for the others.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-03-05 at 11:35 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    To Protect, Pursue and Punish: Protego , Persecutus , Plecto
    Until the Peace can keep itself: Insquequo pacis can servo ipsum
    Knowledge is power: Scientia potentia est

It don't think Their motto needs a Latin version, it's not like they'll put it on business cards or anything.
    And "Scientia potentia est" was said by Bacon, but I just played about with online translators for the others.
    Ooh, those sound great. Everything sounds profound in latin. Lemme whip up some quick symbols for these organizations. But yeah, They won't have a latin motto, or a symbol because They don't exist.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-03-05 at 11:21 AM.
    [/Center]