New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 85 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536375277 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I was reffering to the song (rule the waves and never be slaves) And the fleet was destroyed at Napoleons time by lord Nelson to avoid having to fight it and the rest of France's allies (which Denmark weren't.. Yet) paradoxically causing Denmark to join France. The slave one was about vikings (who enslaved britons)
    I was referring to the War of the Second Coalition, and Napoleon was just beginning to seize power at that point. And if you look, I already said that Nelson was the Vice-Admiral of the British fleet. The British were attempting to (and succeeded in) detach Denmark from the League, to prevent it from sending supplies to the French. And sending supplies to them during wartime sounds like an alliance to me, which is what the British treated it as.

And yes, the first Battle of Copenhagen wasn't the end of the conflict, Britain attacked Denmark several more times to prevent them from aiding the French, most notably in the Battle of Køge and the second Battle of Copenhagen. Notably, during the Battle of Køge the Danish soldiers were so outclassed that they resorted to throwing their heavy clogs at the British soldiers, resulting in it being referred to as "Træskoslaget" or "Clogs Battle".

As for the Vikings part, they lived around 900 years ago. You probably have around the same amount of Viking ancestry as me. And if the Vikings were so great, why aren't they around now? Looks like their slavery didn't work out for them after all.

o/~ Thee, haughty tyrants ne'er shall tame;
    All their attempts to bend thee down,
    All their attempts to bend thee down,
    Will but arouse thy, arouse thy generous flame;
    But work their woe, and thy renown.
    Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves:
    Britons never will be slaves. o/~

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    The slave one was about vikings (who enslaved britons)
    And all that happened then is that the vikings became britons. Same happened with the Angles and Saxons so many years before, and the Normans slightly afterwards.
    You will be assimilated, resistance is futile.
    Last edited by Ninja Chocobo; 2009-03-29 at 08:43 AM.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #783
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    Didn't work out for the Romans.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Randomizer View Post
    Didn't work out for the Romans.
    Anyone remember Ceasar?

Big Roman guy, wore purple, very nearly became Emperor?

Yeah, he tried to invade England, he was the first big Roman attempt to do so.

Wanna know what happened?

A large group of tribal Britons led by Boudica (Conceivably the "original" Britannia) fought him back and drove him and his surviving forces into the sea.

Without any national government or organisation, we fought back the Roman Empire. That's something to be proud of, I think.

Now, again, let's cut the political discussion before we get the thread locked.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    Now, again, let's cut the political discussion before we get the thread locked.
    Yes.*filler text*
    ____

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

I think the reason so little ABR discussion is occuring is because FFF isn't moving forward at all.

Any attempt to make it move forward in the slightest is declared non-canon.

Somebody move the goddamed plot, because I certainly can't.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #787
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    I think the reason so little ABR discussion is occuring is because FFF isn't moving forward at all.

Yeah, he went there. Every time something cool or awsome happens to move the plot forwards is declared non-cannon, because certain people want it to go their way.
    ____

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a comic in stock... I should post it.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

You should, and in the meantime, I should make a SDSB comic, or three.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

10. - Top - End - #790
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Anyone remember Ceasar?

Big Roman guy, wore purple, very nearly became Emperor?

Actually, he was emperor. Ever heard of "Ave Caesar, Imperator te salute !" ?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

11. - Top - End - #791
    Pixie in the Playground

I would... but I'm not even sure if the Powers That Be are accepting my wandering into the plot... No response to that yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    Well, in public schools, they usually offer classes for smarter people anyways, like honors, PreAP, or AP. I'm one of the smarter people, so next year I'll be taking PreCalculus Honors, English 2 PreAP, Physics B AP, and European History AP. Others will be taking geometry and CP classes...
    AP classes are part of the reason I'm in public school now. I was in private schools all my life until after the first quarter of my sophomore year. I took a college course to fix a slight difference in required curriculums, and now I'm able to take near whatever interests me. Currently, I'm finishing AP Physics C, Calc AB, and Lang. I signed up for all AP, above, or a .5 credit required course for next year, my senior year. I manage to live. And... whoever said that public schools suck, I don't really think so. I've gotten almost all really good teachers... I guess knowing that at the end you had a 4.063 which should go up more because of weighted AP grades could tend to urge me toward that thinking, though...
    Last edited by ghillietoes42; 2009-03-29 at 10:56 AM.

"If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt."
    ~ Shakespeare, Two Gentlemen of Verona

12. - Top - End - #792
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghillietoes42 View Post
    I would... but I'm not even sure if the Powers That Be are accepting my wandering into the plot... No response to that yet...
    By "powers that be", do you mean the people who were here before us that make up all the rules?
    ____

13. - Top - End - #793
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Well, you're ostensibly from California, so you're in the United States, so you used to be a part of the American colonies, which were part of the British Empire.

So you should join the Brits and honour your heritage.
    If we are doing the "Heritage" way, we should have another country. Like Haiti! Or France! (Both of which have my roots.) Actually, I'm all for the British, contrary to what I said earlier. Curse me and my dual personalities! But, Britain, while smaller than America, is awesome in the fact that it still can kick ass while looking cool doing it.
    Last edited by Falgorn; 2009-03-29 at 11:02 AM.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

@Lying: This aint politics, it's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    And all that happened then is that the vikings became britons. Same happened with the Angles and Saxons so many years before, and the Normans slightly afterwards.
    vikings took slaves from Britain (only few stayed there)so no, we didn't get british.

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    I was referring to the War of the Second Coalition, and Napoleon was just beginning to seize power at that point. And if you look, I already said that Nelson was the Vice-Admiral of the British fleet. The British were attempting to (and succeeded in) detach Denmark from the League, to prevent it from sending supplies to the French. And sending supplies to them during wartime sounds like an alliance to me, which is what the British treated it as.

And yes, the first Battle of Copenhagen wasn't the end of the conflict, Britain attacked Denmark several more times to prevent them from aiding the French, most notably in the Battle of Køge and the second Battle of Copenhagen. Notably, during the Battle of Køge the Danish soldiers were so outclassed that they resorted to throwing their heavy clogs at the British soldiers, resulting in it being referred to as "Træskoslaget" or "Clogs Battle".

As for the Vikings part, they lived around 900 years ago. You probably have around the same amount of Viking ancestry as me. And if the Vikings were so great, why aren't they around now? Looks like their slavery didn't work out for them after all.
    You are pronably right about the first part (we only ruled the sea because the vikings was good at it, and as you said they where long gone) But the vikings disapeared because a guy named Bobo convinced the king Harald Blåtand (Harold Bluetooth)to make Denmark christian, so the slave thing worked fine. By the way you can just write "oe" instead of "ø", it sound different but is the way we write it on the web (how did you wwrite "ø" anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Falgorn View Post
    If we are doing the "Heritage" way, we should have another country. Like Haiti! Or France! (Both of which have my roots.) Actually, I'm all for the British, contrary to what I said earlier. Curse me and my dual personalities! But, Britain, while smaller than America, is awesome in the fact that it still can kick ass while looking cool doing it.
    What about an European alliance team (if britain was included in this then it would get a lot easier)
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2009-03-29 at 11:23 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Banned

*Yawn*
    *Wakes up*
    Hey, there's gonna be a new 'plot' divided into countries? Cool!
    Hey, it's teh US vs. Britain again. Cool!
    Hey, I'm getting put in the US team. Coo--wait, no! The US is full of idiots. Granted, Britain may be two, but *shrug* at least Britain ain't warmongers!
    I mean, we didn't need to go through that whole 'revolution' thing with weapons! But the US got all hostile. Of course, George was being a jerk, but we could've talked it out. Perhaps done it 'lawfully'. They were protecting us, after all. Or their land, same diff. Canada did it! Sorta. Of course, that was when Britain was crumbling and losing its hold on a bunch of countries or something, but it was still doable!
    ...fine. Call me an Oregonian....for now.
    Soon I shall be a Washingtonian. Muahahaha.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    I now see absolutely NO reason why my earlier comic cannot be canon.
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show

This comic takes place AFTER the group mass flies.
    [EDIT] Nevermind.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-03-29 at 11:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    ...fine. Call me an Oregonian....for now.
    Soon I shall be a Washingtonian. Muahahaha.
    You'll be Smithsonian by the time the Brit team is done.

ALERT TO ALL! New Order of the Stick! Be wary of forum crashes soon!
    Last edited by Lyinginbedmon; 2009-03-29 at 11:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

In panel four, the cyclops dude is duplicated...

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szilard View Post
    In panel four, the cyclops dude is duplicated...
    There you go, fixed it.

Are they any takers for the next comic ? Or should I start working on it ?

20. - Top - End - #800
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    headlice (which I believe the Americans refer to as "cooties")
    Um, what? Lice =/= Cooties.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Cute, I like how i'm holdig mecha. Oh and, MAAAAAAAAD MAAAAAAAASK!
    ____

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    There you go, fixed it.

Are they any takers for the next comic ? Or should I start working on it ?
    Considering that my current FFF character is in Aphlantica...I won't be making the next comic.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

I can make a comic later, but first I need to make salmon, eita, and lying templates.
    ____

24. - Top - End - #804
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Naw, you're thinking of Julius Augustus Caesar.

Lying was referring to Gaius Julius Caesar, Augustus' uncle, the one who got all betrayed and such.

Mad Mask, why does Stephen Mask have a clone right behind him in one of the early panels of your comic? Is that the secret to why he can constantly die yet still stay alive? Clones that can normally hide behind the original's body? ( Ninja'd by Szilard)

As for good teachers in public school, lucky

The honors classes only start kicking in once you get to the higher level classes; I'm talking about falling back during lower school, here, when you could be learning even more.

The lack of a lower school delay in 1st-5th grade is the reason I'm a freshman in PreCalculus at the present. I managed to take PreAlgebra in 5th grade; something the public schools would never consider, since you're treated as cattle.
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    Cute, I like how i'm holdig mecha. Oh and, MAAAAAAAAD MAAAAAAAASK!
    The cyclops' name is Stephen, I must remind you.

And if you feature him in a comic, make sure he's dead.

To Tired'N'Drowzy: you are fifteen minutes late.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-03-29 at 12:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone remember Ceasar?
    By which I assume you mean Julius Caesar, and none of the others who bore the name.

A large group of tribal Britons led by Boudica (Conceivably the "original" Britannia) fought him back and drove him and his surviving forces into the sea.
    Conceivably nothing. The image of a female Britannia wasn't coined (in a literal sense in fact) until around 200 years after Boudica died.
    And Boudicia didn't fight Julius Caesar, he was already dead. She fought against the Romans during Nero's reign.

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Actually, he wasn't. Imperator meant "commander", and Julius held the position of Dictator. True, he did make himself the position of "Dictator Perpetuo", which means "Dictator for life", but he got killed about two months after that.
    The first Roman Emperor was Caesar Augustus.
    And "Hail Caesar, the Commander salutes you"? Not as popular as "ave Caesar, morituri te salutant", "hail Caesar, those who are about to die salute you".

Quote Originally Posted by Mechafox View Post
    Um, what? Lice =/= Cooties.
    If that is the case, then I had gathered the wrong impression. However, according Wikipedia it appears that Cooties was originally a term for Lice, but has since been repurposed as an imaginary, but contagious, affliction.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-03-29 at 12:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

MM, Didn't I already blast a hole through the wall?

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Yes, you opened a way into the outer circle of the defences. The main party has just flown up to the inner levels, and blasted through there.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghillietoes42 View Post
    AP classes are part of the reason I'm in public school now. I was in private schools all my life until after the first quarter of my sophomore year. I took a college course to fix a slight difference in required curriculums, and now I'm able to take near whatever interests me. Currently, I'm finishing AP Physics C, Calc AB, and Lang. I signed up for all AP, above, or a .5 credit required course for next year, my senior year. I manage to live. And... whoever said that public schools suck, I don't really think so. I've gotten almost all really good teachers... I guess knowing that at the end you had a 4.063 which should go up more because of weighted AP grades could tend to urge me toward that thinking, though...
    Awesome. Those sound like the classes I'll be taking Junior year.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    We used that for the distraction team (currently just you and me)
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.