New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 85 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728293031323334353637385378 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

@Mask I'm willing to take up the challenge of making a comic that furthers the plot, though my Easter holidays don't start until the end of this coming week so I may be a little while.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

I'm realy proud of this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ____

3. - Top - End - #813
    Barbarian in the Playground

1812. 'Nuff said.
    Why are we talking about Caesar? What is there to not understand? ([nitpick]And the "Morituri te salutant" was only used by gladiators. Definitely not popular to use. [/nitpick])
    Oh, and cooties=clothes lice, not head lice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

1812. 'Nuff said.
    I fail to see the significance of the number.
    Why are we talking about Caesar?
    Because Lying brought him up regarding a point about British superiority.
    What is there to not understand?
    When he lived, what his name was, what rank he held..
    ([nitpick]And the "Morituri te salutant" was only used by gladiators. Definitely not popular to use. [/nitpick])
    It was popular enough to survive this long. And it was more popular that "Ave Caesar, Imperator te salute!", anyway.
    Oh, and cooties=clothes lice, not head lice.
    According to Wiki, it used to mean both. It means neither now, apparently.
    Last edited by Keris; 2009-03-29 at 03:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    We used that for the distraction team (currently just you and me)
    SP, DL Bright, and I were picked up by CA and carried...somewhere. I assumed that he was carrying us to some place to fight shades, but I realize that he probably isn't.
    CA, can you have Nilmerg tell you that he can't help you fight the Shades in your comic? I will then draw a comic showing my attempts to help Kev and Nameless despite my inherent lackage of actual fighting power. At least against mindless individuals. Of course, I have the knife...

6. - Top - End - #816
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    Anyone remember Ceasar?

Big Roman guy, wore purple, very nearly became Emperor?

Yeah, he tried to invade England, he was the first big Roman attempt to do so.

Wanna know what happened?

A large group of tribal Britons led by Boudica (Conceivably the "original" Britannia) fought him back and drove him and his surviving forces into the sea.

Without any national government or organisation, we fought back the Roman Empire. That's something to be proud of, I think.

Now, again, let's cut the political discussion before we get the thread locked.
    There is so much historically wrong with this post.

First off, Julius Caesar never fought Boudica. He did, however, manage to bring Britain into the Roman sphere of influence, effectively making it part of the Roman Empire.

Secondly, Boudica's rebellion failed. And by fail, I mean epic fail. I mean outnumbering the Roman forces 20 to 1 at the Battle of Watling Street and then being routed easily. I mean experiencing casualties of 80,000 killed, versus the Roman casualties of 400 killed.

There are a lot of British military achievements. I don't believe that there are many against Rome.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

7. - Top - End - #817
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    There is so much historically wrong with this post.

First off, Julius Caesar never fought Boudica. He did, however, manage to bring Britain into the Roman sphere of influence, effectively making it part of the Roman Empire.

Secondly, Boudica's rebellion failed. And by fail, I mean epic fail. I mean outnumbering the Roman forces 20 to 1 at the Battle of Watling Street and then being routed easily. I mean experiencing casualties of 80,000 killed, versus the Roman casualties of 400 killed.

There are a lot of British military achievements. I don't believe that there are many against Rome.
    However, the tribal Germans (or those who would become Germans)did defeat (or at least beat back)the Romans, correct? In a marsh, they got the Romans stuck in practically single-file and then took the Romans by surprise with their numbers and dealt a major blow that forced the Romans to depart.
    Not to mention, there was Hannibal or whatever, who got really close to beating them with his tactics.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    I fail to see the significance of the number.
    Its a year when the British defeated the Americans. (Actually it was Canada when it was still pretty much a British colony, but still)
    Because Lying brought him up regarding a point about British superiority.
    Om nom nom... See below.
    When he lived, what his name was, what rank he held..
    Around 100 B.C. to 44 B.C., Julius Caeser, and he was a roman ruler and military commander.
    Boudica's uprising was around A.D. 60, so that means he MUST have been emperor during that time (). But she did cause Nero to have second thoughts about keeping the troops in Britain. Then she was ownified and the romans stayed in Britain. Whatchoo lookin at?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireRot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't resist!
    FFF
    Spoiler
    Show
    That... When...

O,,o

Lemming is a god. You win three internets and a live chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    Well, here you go. Two respect points and a coupon for free cow tongue. Go nuts.

...Is that so?
    -Nobunaga Oda

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ettin in the Playground

I admit I got the leaders wrong, but we still kicked Ceasar off the island before we had government and military organisation.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Bugbear in the Playground

The war of 1812 wasn't a British victory... It ended with an agreement back in Britain after the Americans sent diplomats to end the war...

The fighting continued after the agreement was reached, with Americans owning Canadians. They hadn't communicated with the ship since it was en route back to America with news of the negotiations. It was by no means a British victory. It was more of a normal war in which both sides suffered heavily.
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    I admit I got the leaders wrong, but we still kicked Ceasar off the island before we had government and military organisation.
    Only the first time. JC returned, kicked a few Briton tribes' arses and allied with the others.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

Can we start talking about ABR again? I'm almost finished with the comic.
    ____

13. - Top - End - #823
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    By "powers that be", do you mean the people who were here before us that make up all the rules?
    ... Or anyone who's been here longer than me...

Quote Originally Posted by Falgorn View Post
    If we are doing the "Heritage" way, we should have another country. Like Haiti! Or France! (Both of which have my roots.) Actually, I'm all for the British, contrary to what I said earlier. Curse me and my dual personalities! But, Britain, while smaller than America, is awesome in the fact that it still can kick ass while looking cool doing it.
    Hmm if we do "heritage"... Anyone else have Irish heritage?

"If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt."
    ~ Shakespeare, Two Gentlemen of Verona

14. - Top - End - #824
    Troll in the Playground

I use illustrator to draw things I couldn't on inkscape, and then import it there. So I just realized something, if you email a file with your character on it, the person who gets the email could open it up with inkscape or whatever, and be able to use them. I think...
    ____

15. - Top - End - #825
    Banned

CA, that comic REALLY doesn't work.
    First, it implies that there is a romantic interest between TS and Stephen. Second, the Shades can only be harmed by the Salmon brothers due to godmoddin--er, the Plot Shields. Third, the big one, it shows the Shade dead.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, you opened a way into the outer circle of the defences. The main party has just flown up to the inner levels, and blasted through there.
    Right.
    Kev, it's time for me to make our big entry when I get round to it.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    First, it implies that there is a romantic interest between TS and Stephen. Second, the Shades can only be harmed by the Salmon brothers due to godmoddin--er, the Plot Shields. Third, the big one, it shows the Shade dead.
    And something in the comic suspiciously reminds me of something I've read in OotS... It looks like a combination of the first dragon scene in which Haley has the same role as Stephen, and Therkla's death scene.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Right.
    Kev, it's time for me to make our big entry when I get round to it.
    YAY! Remember one thing though, the white fire the sword has created will burn any person not of lawful or neutral good alignment (and some monster races like Gnoll, hobgoblin and drow of those alignments too) by touch (and it's all around Keveak so "beware holy voltage")

On the topic of Britain/Caesar: Why do you agree that Britain was conquered by the Romans now but disagreed when I said so? Caesar is the origin of both the Danish and the Russian name for emperor ("Kejser" and "Zar") so to me it sounds like he was really close to it at least.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

On the topic of Britain/Caesar: Why do you agree that Britain was conquered by the Romans now but disagreed when I said so?
    You didn't say so... At least, not that I can remember or find with less than a minutes searching.
    Caesar is the origin of both the Danish and the Russian name for emperor ("Kejser" and "Zar") so to me it sounds like he was really close to it at least.
    Caesar was the cognomen, or nickname, or Julius Caesar, and meant "hairy", which was a jibe at his receding hairline. Julius was not the Emperor at any time, but he held the position of Dictator, which was an elected position held only for a number of terms. Shortly before his death (around two months) he styled himself dictator perpetuo, which meant he held the position for life. Then he died.
    His successor, Augustus, gave himself the name to link himself with Julius, and was the first true Emperor of Rome. The name Caesar then became an Imperial title, although our word "Emperor" is derived from Imperator, meaning commander, which was another rank held by many Roman Emperors.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XIX: To FAIL, or not to FAIL?

You didn't say so... At least, not that I can remember or find with less than a minutes searching.
    It was under the vikings on eagles discusion. I said something about that and the german tribes.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

21. - Top - End - #831

Meh, I've too much work today and even more tomorrow so don't expect any comic from me now......I just thought you should know that.

I'll catch up later, I promise
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #832
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gremlin View Post
    Are you always like this when someone messes up? Atleast I made a comic.
    Last edited by CrimsonAngel; 2009-03-30 at 05:11 PM.
    ____

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well, the Romantic Subtext is only there if you are looking for it. TS can be distraught over somebody dieing, especially because she's kinda responsible for it. All it means is that she's upset about it. I think it was "The Shades cannot be Killed by anybody except the Salmons", for plot reasons. I don't think TS had anything against other people doing a little damage.
    So yeah, Dead Shades is the only thing wrong with the comic as I see it, so you can just edit that last panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

Cool, I found out I didn't save it.
    ____

25. - Top - End - #835

...Wow, how does that work? Doesn't it ask you if you want to save when you close it?

Also, 'making a comic that moves the plot forward' is much different than 'making a comic which defies parts of the plot predesigned or prestated in the rest of abr'. Please read the archives before making assumptions. This one case is more discussion oriented, since most ABRers want Salmon to kill the Shades, but they're certainly stronger than you made them out to be anyways. Epic battles should be epic; not off-panel.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

... It's alive. I set a claw thing on fire, lying's whippin out his magic, and Salmon cut a claw off.
    ____

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    ... It's alive. I set a claw thing on fire, lying's whippin out his magic, and Salmon cut a claw off.
    It also appears to be nibbling on my head.

Boy am I glad that
    1. It wouldn't be the first time someone has picked Lying's brain in a literal sense of the word and
    2. He can grow it back later.

28. - Top - End - #838

Judging from its eyes, it's clearly dead.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tired N' Drowzy View Post
    Judging from its eyes, it's clearly dead.
    .... What? Did you check on the edited version?
    ____

30. - Top - End - #840

No... You said you lost the whole SVG file.