New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: God-Kings of Lotus

O-Mochi seems quite taken aback by Ivory Eyes' sudden surge of interest. "Well, yes, underground. That's where you're going to find all the First Age relics. Modern Lotus was built on top of the ruins, obviously. There just happened to be a nice patch of cave rice I was tending to down below, and I noticed that one of the big tombs had a nice little library niche." The Rice God seems to assume that you already knew everything there was to know about whatever might lie buried beneath Lotus.

Rising Echo's proposition, though, he takes more interest in. "Move the Spirit Court to the city? It'd be risky, disastrous if Heaven ever caught word of it...but if we have the Eastern Censor on our side, we could do it. There would be a certain glory in that." He pauses for a moment, as if in reverie, then shakes away the ephemera of memories. "Now, as for the shrine, I suppose you could rededicate it. The only worry is that many of us had...less than warm feelings for the Immaculates. There is no small sum of hatred in our hearts, and seeing that shrine torn down would pay no little satisfaction. There might be more willingness to tolerate the faithful, if they were properly re-shaped. But whatever taint the Immaculates left in this city, it needs to be torn up, root and seed."
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

"If it would be better to tear it down, then by all means, we can rebuild it afterwards to what it needs to be." Rising Echo says. "And we will have to get the Censor on our side soon, I think. I would like the idea of the entire Court in Lotus, so that the Immaculate cannot threaten a portion of them to try to bring others into their line."

"As for the tombs below Lotus, I wasn't completely aware of them O-Mochi. Can you direct us to an access to them? There should be several interesting things down there to play to the ego of the Censor."

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh? Yes, I suppose there might still be a few trinkets or whatnot down there. I'm not really sure how to get down there–enough rice grows down in the caves that I could just will myself there. But it's not very deep beneath Lotus, the city must be built right on top of the ruins. Just find somewhere deep and start to dig, I guess?" O-Mochi really has no idea why you care so much about a few boring ruins and tombs.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Echo notices O-Mochi's confusion over the circle's apparent desire, and explains. "There may be things down there that would benefit us in defense of the city and the Spirit Court that might take us months or more to create ourselves. Time that we may need if the Guild or the Immaculate Order decides to attack us. I would much rather have something already available instead of having it half built when enemies come calling, after all."

5. - Top - End - #335
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

"I agree with the Minister--the Divine Minister," Ivory says in clarification as she suddenly realizes how many people seated beside her bear that title. "We should tear the Immaculate Temple down to the flagstones, bleach the soil and build...I don't know. An orphanage. Something useful to the people of Lotus. The goodwill we can buy with such an act, goodwill from both the people and spirits of Lotus...it's ridiculous to equivocate as you do, Echo. Political as you may be, there comes a time when everyone can not be appeased."

Ivory stands and helps Rata-ji to his feet, whispering her instructions. He rushes through the door. Ivory smiles, blinks placatingly. "It has been a pleasure as always, O-Mochi. Now, if you all will excuse me, I have every intention of trying my hand at spelunking."

Just as she proclaims this, Rata-ji returns, two unlit torches in hand and a small pack at his side. Ivory nods to each of them in turn, takes her chief of staff by the elbow, and skips, dragging Rata-ji in half-hearted hops behind her.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Echo calls out to Ivory. "Hold on a moment, Ivory."

Turning to look back at O-Mochi, he asks a single, fairly simple to his mind question. "Since there is apparently a fairly abundant amount of rice growing down there, can you tell me where it gets it's sunlit nourishment from?"

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Rata-ji stumbles awkwardly along after Ivory Eyes, not entirely sure how best to keep up with his superior as she skips along like a nine-year old schoolgirl. So far, he's avoided mentioning her apparent youth, not wanting to anger her, but he has to wonder. Eventually, he abandons all pretense of dignity, and skips alongside her, muttering swears with every bound. "Minister, you said we were going spelunking? As in, going down in caves? Forgive me for questioning you but...what caves?"

O-Mochi shakes his head at Ivory Eyes' departure, not sure what's caught a hold of the Twilight. "Oh, you Exalted. It always has to be a noble journey or an epic quest or extremely heroic spelunking. Can't ever just take a walk like normally folk." he jokes. Answering Rising Echo's question, his voice slips into a pedantic tone. "It's cave rice. In the First Age, they had all kinds of different genesis seeds, utterly wondrous plants. After the city fell, all the genesis rice adapted. Instead of sunlight, it just drains the residual Solar essence out of all the magitech buried down their."
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-04-25 at 11:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo nods. "It is a pity my memories of this area from the First Age fail me, O-Mochi. Could you possibly point me to a particular patch of cave rice, near one of those tombs? I think Ivory and the rest of us will most assuredly wish to see the magitech that the cave rice is running off of."

Even as level headed as he is, the promise of wonders from the First Age seem to be pulling at Echo's hands. Nothing in particular he would be looking for, but something to possibly trigger another memory of the First Age would be wondrous.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

"A particular patch? Point down at the ground. Odds are there's some cave rice down there. The whole underground is overgrown with it. If it's the tombs you're looking for, they're mostly under the fields. The Eclipse Castes running the Ministry of Memorial Services and Civic Statuary thought that burying those who fed the Empire under the fields had a certain poetry to it."

10. - Top - End - #340

Ivory Eyes skips with Rata-ji through the bustle of the festival in general. They skip through past the mayoral palace, skirting the fields. She sniffs at the air, not sure how much she's actually sensing and how much she's just putting on a show for Rata-ji's sake. In an instant, her milky eyes flare to gold-on-gold and she looks back to Rata-ji as she stops on the edge of the forested fringes of the city.

"I have an admission, Rata-ji. I want to trust you with the truth. I won't patronize you by asking if I can trust you; I've already decided, haven't I?" she asks rhetorically, pulling a mess of brush from the path ahead to reveal Bronzeheart and a slew of elementals littering the glade. Her castemark flares as she pulls him, softly leading him into her glade, her world, her identity.

"I am Ivory Eyes, Chosen of the Unconquered Sun, and I would see your city become glorious. You've a future, Rata-ji. As does everyone and everything you love. I hope you understand. Do you?" she asks.
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2009-04-26 at 12:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

"I think we'll be excavating a section of one of the fields then, and giving the cave rice over to the farmers. And remove most of the magitech from down there, leaving just enough material to feed the cave rice."

Echo looks around, not seeing Ivory. "I think we may need to get a few people together to help Ivory. Zephyr, I'm going to follow her, can you collect a few of your guard and come as well? Yomiko, Watcher, you're welcome if you would like."

Turning back to O-Mochi, Echo makes a half bow from his seat. "O-Mochi, may your prayers ever increase. I think I need to go collect our errant companion before she ends up digging a hole she cannot get out of."

Echo stands up from the table and heads out, first heading to his home and picking up something he'd hoped he could find more training for, before heading towards Bronzeheart, hoping she had gone there first before wandering around looking for somewhere to dig. It'd be better if she had a starting place, after all.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Rata-ji gapes in wonder, scarcely able to take in all the sights. The giant engine, as if the war machines of the First Age had returned. The living cloud, scribbling furiously in a notebook, stopping only occasionally to consult its brazen telescope. The fiery-winged bird preening its feathers nonchalantly, risking small forest fires with every pinion it molts. But most of all, it is the mark of the Unconquered Sun that blazes on Ivory Eyes' brow that shocks him.

He falls to his knees in disbelief. "You're Anathema!" The word is a slur, but spoken without hatred, or even much fear. Instead, awe fills his voice, the reverence of one who recognizes his rightful master. "Minister...I hope I will prove myself worthy of your trust!" he says, his spirit blazing.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo moves through the town, almost uncomfortable with the two blades he had hidden now resting in leather ties on his sides. The golden metal hooked daiklaves move easily against his clothing, and Echo most likely stands out to those not drunk from the festival.

Passing beyond the town itself and into the surrounding forestry, he breaks into the clearing for Bronzeheart, catching the fleeting glimpse of Ivory's anima banner. Cursing quietly, he draws both blades and advances as silently as he can manage, fearing she'd been attacked.

And that would be how Ivory saw the Minister of Trade entering the clearing, two large swords at hand, attempting to creep up on something that does not exist.

14. - Top - End - #344

Ivory motions, cutting at the neck with her hand as if to warn against undue violence. She motions for Rata-ji to enter the house, offering her hand and, in turn, her shoulder to the Garda bird. Looking back from the door to Bronzeheart, she beckons Echo to wait a moment and then to knock. The stick-man smiles as she enters with the awed mortal, waving to both of them in turn.

"D'resh, this is Rata-ji. He's my Chief of Staff, and a little bit surprised, I'm sure," she says, smiling. "We've just found out that Lotus was built upon the ruins of a First Age city. Have you heard of this? Or at least an elemental who might be capable of surveying this for us?"

She sets the bird respectfully upon the tip of her own throne at the kitchen table and moves to begin preparing dinner, feeling perfectly in her element as she discusses buried treasure in the midst of a flurry of knife blows and spoon stirs.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Echo somewhat ungainly resheathes the swords to his sides, before waiting several long moments and approaches Bronzeheart, coming up to the door into the magitech creation. Knocking loudly, he announced himself. "Ivory, are you in there? I have more information from O-Mochi about where the tombs are."

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

The garda bird takes a moment to think, scratching its brightly-plumaged head with a wingtip. "Woe and dispassion! I know nothing of such ruins, no secrets hidden deep beneath the city's streets! Shame and embarrassment! I hail from the South, never before have I set wing across the East's fair verdant 'spanse! But hark, glorious discourse! The humble kri–those ever-wrathful beasts born of the earth–can swim through stone, as you might swim through waters! O, cunning plan–if you didst summon one, it might explore whole worlds, of aspect subterrain, and then report back to its master, you!

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr listened to the conversation with interest, and, indeed, he had already pre-empted the suggestion and sent a messenger to Baldrick to send a squadron of men that he trusted and lead it himself. Aye. I will protect you, Ivory Eyes, from whatever unpleasantness may be buried amidst the splendor of the splendors below. Besides he added with a grin i've always wanted to go treasure hunting.

After excusing himself from the table with all politeness to O-Mochi and the others, he followed Ivory Eyes, ready to enter the caverns in search of the wonders of the lost age
    Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2009-04-26 at 02:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348

Ivory Eyes invites Rata-ji, D'resh, Echo and Zephyr into the kitchen, setting a fine repast of rice and blackened chicken before them all. She excuses herself to the den that adjoins the dining room, sitting cross-legged on the floor. She removes a few vials of soil from an old jewelry box nearby filled, conspicuously enough, with absolutely no jewelry. She pours the soil into a thin circle around her and begins to hum softly.

It grows, over the hours, into an immensely awkward sort of throbbing sound that resounds down into the solid core of all things, the sort of song that stones would sing had they the vocal capability.

"Come, oh kri, spirit of the deep earth, lonely creature that would shuck the bindings placed upon it and trod the deep places in careless mania. Come, oh kri, spirit of the deep earth, pitious creature born without breath. Come, oh kri, to the Court of Lotus, and sup the essence of our prayers, run free across what demenses one may find."

Spoiler
    Show
    Summoning a Kri. 40 motes to bring the pool down to 10 vs 3.
    (10d10)[10][10][1][1][1][2][5][10][9][7](56)
    (3d10)[7][8][2](17)
    Round Two, just in case:
    (10d10)[6][8][1][2][3][6][10][2][10][6](54)
    (3d10)[7][2][9](18)

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

As Ivory Eyes completes her spell, a brilliant fountain of opalescent earth essence bursts forth from the scattered soil. Everything made of stone or metal gleams with a pale white aurora. Bronzeheart shakes for a moment, unbalanced by the sudden concentration of essence within him, though it soon regains its footing. Finally, the lucent spume of essence coalesces into a kri. It seems almost exactly as a deer, save for its three horns, and the manic gleam in its eye. It looks down at Ivory Eyes in desperation, speaking with a harsh, braying voice. "Who are you, who are you? What are you doing? What–"

It falters, falling to its knees as Ivory Eyes overcomes its will. Defeated but still defiant, it looks up at her, its lips curled in a cervid sneer. "I see. What would you have me do, mistress?"

20. - Top - End - #350

Ivory Eyes surveys the Kri, it's defiance coaxing a measure of pity into her actions and gestures. "This city is built upon the ruins of a First Age complex, or so I am told," she explains. "We seek your help to survey and construct a tunnel into the ruins--preferably one that did not impinge upon the fields of Lotus. If you will help us, we can provide you with essence. If you wish to remain, we will see you placed into the local Spirit Court, given a measure of prayer. I've not yet surveyed the geomancy of the area, but manses are an innevitability, and you could have your roam of them once built. Or, if you request, I can send you back to wherever you were. Will you help, spirit--oh, I'm sorry," she says, standing up to reveal her childlike height.

"I've not yet even learned your name. I am Ivory Eyes."

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

At the mention of words like "prayer" and "manse," a change comes over the Kri. It cannot afford defiance, not with such an offer of sustenance. "Esse, mistress. And for what you promise me, I will dive beneath the stone and see what I can find. Give me the night, and I will give you a tunnel!" it brays. Ivory Eyes cannot tell how sincere its new loyalty is. With what she knows of its breed, she would have to imagine it acts entirely out of desperation.

The Kri gives Ivory Eyes a sidelong glance as it beseeches her. "But I am weak and hungry, too pitiful to undertake such works...unless you would grant me a small boon of essence? Enough motes to get by for the night?"

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

Echo comes out of the kitchen near the end of the four hour summoning, and watches Ivory with interest as she completes the casting.

Hearing the creature beg for Essence, Rising Echo tilts his head, looking at it. "I do not know of your plight, Kri, but if you can promise to have the tunnel dug well enough to walk through by morning, I will feed you a taste of my essence, enough to strengthen you for your task tonight."

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

The Kri lunges at Rising Echo, moved by hunger. "Yes, thank you, yes, yes..." it mutters, gently taking Rising Echo's hand in its jaws. It bites down ever so slightly, taking care not to break the Minister's skin under its broad molars. Echo's anima flashes as essence flows from him to the spirit, revitalizing it. When it is done, it pulls back, leaving Echo's hand covered with essence-rich slaver. "Thank you. Much, much better." The spirit seems much more composed with its hunger momentarily abated.

"I shall go explore the underground, and begin what tunneling I can. I will return at morning." Esse goes out, gracefully leaping out of Bronzeheart's door. It paws at the ground, before kneeling and deliquescing into the soil, becoming one with the earth. It roams beneath the ground, seeking out whatever might lie beneath. Meanwhile, the circle takes to sleep, resting in Ivory Eyes' plentiful beds.

Morning comes, the sun spilling redness over the rainclouds. As you awake and breakfast, there comes a knocking at the door. Opening it, Ivory Eyes finds Esse, using his horns to knock. "Mistress, your tunnel is complete! Come, follow me!" It trots out, waiting for the circle to follow. It leads you to the very outskirts of the fields, having dutifully obeyed Ivory Eyes' injunction. The tunnel it has dug is a full nine feet in diameter, and slopes down at a comfortable angle of declination. The shaft is utterly dark, and what lies beneath is utterly unknown.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-04-26 at 04:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

Zephyr was there, already awake and eager. He had once again sent orders to his assistant, making sure that he and his men were assembled at the mouth of the tunnel when the Exalts were ready to go down. He wondered, privately, just how much use they would be for this sort of operation - but better to be safe than sorry.

Zephyr led the way, looking back at the others with a grin as he set out down into the darkness. His senses were alert for anything out of the ordinary. Letting a bit of Essence flow into his Anima, he started down, the fae, silvery glow of moonlight seeming to highlight the dark as much as illuminate it.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

Rising Echo leaves the duty of dealing with Esse to Ivory Eyes, instead looking down the tunnel.

The complete darkness that extends beyond the first few feet seems like the great maw of some demon, wishing to eat the circle alive.

But no demon can swallow one of the Sun's chosen. Echo smiles for a moment and essence flares, light dancing around him as his anima banner dance, and the light pushes back the darkness in the cave.

Echo smiles at the group. "Shall we descend?"

Spoiler
    Show

Spending one mote of peripheral to activate banner to 8-10 mote level for a scene.

Personal: 15/15
    Peripheral: 26/36 (Solar Glory: 10/10)

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko stares deep into the darkness of this tunnel, looming up at her like the eye of a Neverborn in the depths of Oblivion.n She shows little fear in the face of it, and even smiles when her compatriot's banner flared with light. She was the first to descent into the blackness without a word, and her precious daughter on her shoulders and leaning against the hilts of her golden swords. As she moves downward she even begins to sing a song similar to the one sung at the festival, if for no other reason than to calm her most likely fearful daughter.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Illuminated by Echo's white and gold anima, the tunnel is revealed. Esse's work is unquestionable. Though it lacks any supports or braces, the very earth of the tunnel's walls has been hardened by essence, rendered durable as marble. There will be no fear of cave-ins here. The passage is not long–scarcely five minutes after you enter the tunnel, you find yourselves in the underground proper.

You have no sense of how far the dark extends beyond Echo's anima-light. The cave could be scarce yards wide, or it might extend unobstructed for the whole span of Lotus above. Orienting yourselves by the direction the fields must be above, you begin heading towards where O-Mochi said the tombs were. There is not much to see, on the outermost periphery of the ruins; the city proper lies deeper inward. Only the occasional pile of rubble, white stones shattered into splinters or columns toppled ages ago, distinguish the far reaches from any mundane cave.

Yomiko is the first to realize that the circle has reached the tombs. She takes a step, like any other–and then realizes that there is nothing beneath her feet. She pulls her leg back, like a crane folding its wings, and beckons Echo forward. The light of his anima reveals all. A huge pit gapes before you, so vast that neither its far side nor bottom are illuminated by the anima-light. Rising out of the pit is a monument of white stone, a huge sphere that floats in mid-air. A single strand of adamant crystal connects the edge of the pit to the floating monument, a bridge just wide enough for a single man to pass. Etched onto the surface of the funerary monument is a massive array of Old Realm glyphs.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

Yomiko pauses for a moment as she stares yet again into blackness. She looks back over at the rest of the party behind her then up at her daughter. "Konoko, You can trust mommy. I'll get us across the bridge safely, okay?" She smiles at her.
    She then approaches the bridge and sets a single foot on it to see it's strength. When she discovers it's granite-like strength she traverses it to the other side, holding the tightest to her daughter.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ninja'd

Following behind Yomiko, Rising Echo read the text and called it out for the others.
    Last edited by Lochar; 2009-04-26 at 08:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

AESHA, THE QUEEN AMARANTHINE, LIGHT OF THE EAST
    WHO FED THE THOUSAND PEOPLES OF AN EMPIRE
    WHO FORGED THE GREATEST WONDERS OF OUR AGE
    WHO KNEW THE SECRET NAMES OF FIEND AND FAE
    SHE SLUMBERS HERE, WITHIN THIS HALL OF STONE
    ALL YE WHO GAZE UPON HER REGAL TOMB
    REMEMBER AESHA, AND HOPE YOUR WORKS
    WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR AS LONG AS HERS.

Thus is the epitaph spelled out by the glyphs, repeated dozens of times over the face of the tomb. On the far side of the adamant bridge, an imposing door towers above Yomiko and Rising Echo, an arch fully seven feet in height. No lock or bar holds the door shut–it looks as if it would open at a touch. But then again, the Exalted of the First Age had surer means than locks and bolts to keep a tomb safe.