New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Don't know if this has been raised yet, but I just stumbled across it.

Someone has rewritten Pride and Prejudice - and included zombies. I kid you not.

An article about it can be found here

(I also made a post on my blog - (shameless self-promotion ;)) with a bit more about it.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Bah--that's not shameless. Let me show you how shameless is done:

I have a gun, right here. I'll shoot myself in the foot for every person reading this message that doesn't read Chocolate Hammer.

Anyway, this supports my hypothesis that any novel written before 1900 would benefit from the inclusion of zombies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Unlike the original novel, I will actually read this instead of memorizing the Spark Notes for it and acing the test anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not even zombies could make that book entertaining in the slightest.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I like Pride and Prejudice. What I don't really understand is the fascination with zombies. I simply don't get that. Oh well...

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    I like Pride and Prejudice. What I don't really understand is the fascination with zombies. I simply don't get that. Oh well...
    It's really quite simple.

If there's a zombie apocalypse, you get to fend off zombies by holing-up in yoru home with a shotgun. Maybe you'll lay into the endless tides with carnal glee and a trusty weapon.

It's a commonly understood nerd-scenario. An excellent opportunity to strut your nerd credibility by talking about how much better you'll be than the next guy in the downfall of civilization.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    It's a commonly understood nerd-scenario. An excellent opportunity to strut your nerd credibility by talking about how much better you'll be than the next guy in the downfall of civilization.
    Unfortunately many nerds who feel this way may also be pretty out of shape, and would probably fall to zombie hunger just as fast as the next guy. Though he would go down giggling like a school girl holding the hand of the newest popstar.

And Rutskarn, I am not reading Chocolate Hammer. Pics or it didn't happen.
    Last edited by Myatar_Panwar; 2009-02-13 at 01:15 AM.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

8. - Top - End - #8
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    Anyway, this supports my hypothesis that any novel written before 1900 would benefit from the inclusion of zombies.
    Fixed that for you.

One can't help but notice how fashionable it is to dislike books one was made to read/never read in high school.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

9. - Top - End - #9

Its more then that. Its all Jane Austin. At least for me.

And Classic=/=good read
    My Current Works

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    It's really quite simple.

If there's a zombie apocalypse, you get to fend off zombies by holing-up in yoru home with a shotgun. Maybe you'll lay into the endless tides with carnal glee and a trusty weapon.

And (maybe because it's nerds involved) the right kind of Zombie movie (like any good horror movie) includes women that just happens to have to fight or flee with very little clothes on.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Its more then that. Its all Jane Austin. At least for me.

And Classic=/=good read
    No it doesn't. However, if one pops in to say negative things about a book without offering the slightest bit of defense, there are few conclusions one can reasonably draw.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

>>
    Once again, Rabbit enjoys a novel noone else has any favor for in the slightest.
    This time, though, I don't feel ashamed. I enjoyed Pride and Prejudiced thoroughly when I read it in highschool. I just enjoy romance, I suppose.
    Plus, as we all know, I have an eternal infatuation for undead, therefore, when I stumbled onto a link about this novel a few months back, I was ecstatic. I cannot wait to get my greedy little hands onto this book, I tell you.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

13. - Top - End - #13

No one has given support why its good either. And as promised on a previous thread. Just because no defense has been given for it being bad, since there is no defense for it being good, its more or less down to personal taste.

Why do I dislike her books? They are boring. They do not entertain me and thats the point of a story. I tried getting through it, without being required to. And I ended up throwing the book away in disgust. There are few writers that could write so bloody much and not once say a single thing.
    My Current Works

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Well, Innis, I'll give you the fact that she's boring. I tried to get through Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, and Emma, and I had much the same reaction as you.
    I tossed them out.
    However, the social commentary and almost foeyay to Pride and Prejudice caught my attention. I also was somewhat fond of Mr. Bennet as a character, and found his mocking nature alone to be enough to read the novel.
    As I've said before, different strokes for different folks.
    I like me some romance novels.
    ::shrugs::

— Iain S. Thomas

15. - Top - End - #15

Don't get me wrong, I won't begrudge anyone who likes it, but as I said, not even a horde of brain devouring undead could put life....into her novels for me.

Frankly, there are so many books out there I won't read all the ones I want before I die. But I will at least cut out the ones I know I wont care for. Romance novels being at the top of that list. And its not like I don't read some boring stuff for fun, I have a degree in history and have read through the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and The Water Margin for my degree and again for the fun of it. Anyone saying those books arn't as dry as dust would be lying to you.
    My Current Works

16. - Top - End - #16

Bleh. Much better post lost to the aether. I'll still do what I can, though.

No one has given support why its good either. And as promised on a previous thread. Just because no defense has been given for it being bad, since there is no defense for it being good, its more or less down to personal taste.
    But... previous to that no one had given a positive opinion of the books. They had expressed positive opinions of zombies being added to the book, I suppose, but I don't believe you could be around such a community for very long and not understand why that is (even in you disagree with that opinion. )

Why do I dislike her books? They are boring. They do not entertain me and thats the point of a story. I tried getting through it, without being required to. And I ended up throwing the book away in disgust.
    Ah, then forgive me, I was obviously mistaken. I reached the conclusion that seemed most likely to me considering that, in my experience, most people who post/talk about a classic they dislike simply dislike it because they were forced to read it, are resentful of this fact, and so offer little opinion about the book itself. (I've speculated on this phenomena. While I have no trouble believing that high schoolers would invite more misery into their lives, this tendency to go out of their way to express that dislike has always puzzled me. I speculate that it's because they are, in some sense, "supposed" to like the book and so, like Twilight or The da Vinci Code, people are more likely to actively dislike them because of their popularity. This is just idle speculation, though, and somewhat off topic.) Your "classic =/= good" statement seemed to support this, since I had expressed no good opinions of any books classic or otherwise, so the only reason I could think for you to bring it up is because you're specifically trying to discredit it because it's a classic. Again, this was clearly wrong, and I apologize.

There are few writers that could write so bloody much and not once say a single thing.
    This is fairly unsupportable, however, in that it doesn't fit the facts. She was clearly saying a lot. Whether she said it well, in a pleasing way, or clearly, are all items up for debate, but even the first sentence of the book is pure social commentary.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    I'd say this is a rather positive opinion of the book, and Rabbit seems to have liked it as well

And people can speak volumes and never say anything. Or they could simply say one word, and convey a message far deeper then any book. Jane Austin, while she attempts to do what you claim, and clearly alot of people agree (There are whole class's dedicated to her, or were at my college). I simply find her point...irrelevent to the current times, and the execution droll.
    My Current Works

18. - Top - End - #18

I'd say this is a rather positive opinion of the book, and Rabbit seems to have liked it as well
    Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe
    But... previous to that no one had given a positive opinion of the books.
    Emphasis mine. Erm, that is, emphasis added just now.

When you brought up unjustified positive opinions of the book I thought you meant that your unjustified negative opinion was a response to that or some such, instead of the conclusion I reached. I wasn't commenting on people dropping in to give positive opinions of the book, and if I had been I would have drawn different conclusions as to their motives. However, I don't see how unjustified positive opinions of the book could have affected your decision to put up an unjustified negative opinion of it, seeing as none were posted when you did so. I therefore fail to see their relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal
    And people can speak volumes and never say anything. Or they could simply say one word, and convey a message far deeper then any book. Jane Austin, while she attempts to do what you claim, and clearly alot of people agree (There are whole class's dedicated to her, or were at my college). I simply find her point...irrelevent to the current times, and the execution droll.
    That's fine; as I said, that sort of thing is debatable. But that's not what you said. A person can say irrelevant things, but that isn't saying nothing.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Does it have a zombie Mr. D'Arcy shirtless in the lake? Played by Colin Firth?
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I would be a pleased fangirl.

— Iain S. Thomas

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Heck no. Darcy (not D'Arcy, just f.y.i. Unless they did one of those things where they change things for the American editions or something.) is way too awesome to get turned into a zombie. Unless maybe by heroic sacrifice.

Although any excuse to get Colin Firth shirtless is acceptable, really. And I say this as a male who, while open to the idea of being physically attracted to men, am thusfar entirely heterosexual.

I would like to see the book's handling of the dance scenes where they have conversations.

Eliza: "Blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah. Blah blah blah. Wouldn't you say?"
    Z. Darcy: "Brains."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombies, huh? Nice touch. I found the original version (have been forced to watch a film version) kind of boring. Now, if they would only include Hitler and Stalin as wizards...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Heck no. Darcy (not D'Arcy, just f.y.i. Unless they did one of those things where they change things for the American editions or something.)
    My bad. I haven't read it in a while. And there's a guy in the news recently, called D'arcy. My brain just switched.

Although any excuse to get Colin Firth shirtless is acceptable, really. And I say this as a male who, while open to the idea of being physically attracted to men, am thusfar entirely heterosexual.
    I'm also a heterosexual male. But I still stand by what I said.

The 'new'/est movie is all wrong.
    • No Lake scene
    • Keira Kneightly The worst actress in the world.
    • Whoever the clown was who played Darcy had it all wrong
    • Whoever the clown was who played Darcy has nothing on Colin Firth
    • Keira Kneightly
    • No Colin Firth
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2009-02-13 at 07:41 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #24

They do not entertain me and thats the point of a story.
    Not always. Besides, a book can be interesting without being entertaining, per say. I wasn't entertained by The Sparrow, for example, but it was still a very interesting read (and enjoyable, for a lot of it). Reading for fun? Well, yes, most people want something entertaining. Sometimes stories are to bring up a point or illustrate some issue; also, what one person considers "boring" is extremely subjective. Any high-paced book about a guy who drives race cars would put me to sleep, for example, while I could entirely imagine myself thoroughly enjoying a novel about a rather ordinary accountant (though most other people would sooner go swimming with hungry sharks than read such a book). So, it's entirely fine to dislike the book, but just because you found it boring isn't much of a standard to declare it a bad book.

For the record, I don't remember really hating or liking Pride and Prejudice. It wasn't exactly my sort of novel, but I can understand why people would enjoy it. And I'm assuming that there is some reason that English classes teach it (though I admit to not knowing what that reason is, plus tons of English classes teach some pretty crappy modern fiction, in my opinion).

There are few writers that could write so bloody much and not once say a single thing.
    In that case I'm going to guess that you haven't read David Copperfield.
    Last edited by The Neoclassic; 2009-02-13 at 07:59 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Queenfange View Post
    Or, let's face it, most Arthur C. Clarke novels. 2001 doesn't count because Kubrick was holding his hand through the whole thing, and his short stories of less than a couple dozen pages are actually quite good.

On topic, I like the themes and message of Pride and Prejudice, but the actual novel is too dry and full of dull descriptive interludes to have held my attention all the way through it. Much of British 19th century literature is the same.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-02-13 at 12:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

26. - Top - End - #26

Great Expectations was more then enough for me to never want to crack open a book of his ever again.
    My Current Works

27. - Top - End - #27

BlueWizardGirl

Well, as long as we're ragging on the classics, let me say that I think most of Mark Twain's work would benefit from zombies. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court remains to this day the only book I've started but never finished. His short stories are pretty good, but every novel by him I've read has left me unimpressed.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Great Expectations was more then enough for me to never want to crack open a book of his ever again.
    Same, though I make and exception for The Christmas Carol. It's a pretty good short story.

On the original topic, I actually like P&P, but adding zombies could be...interesting.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

That's the one about the body found in the field, right?

I've always meant to read that after hearing Frasier Crane's reading of it. The ninja dinosaurs were excellent characters.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    That's the one about the body found in the field, right?

I've always meant to read that after hearing Frasier Crane's reading of it. The ninja dinosaurs were excellent characters.
    Uh... I don't remember that part of the book (though it would probably be far more interesting with ninja dinosaurs). All I remember is some freaking boring guy with an abusive stepfather and who sucks at keeping the love of his life or something like that... For 800+ pages.

I never tried that one, thank the gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Well, as long as we're ragging on the classics, let me say that I think most of Mark Twain's work would benefit from zombies.
    I agree. Tom Sawyer was rather boring to me, and I think if the kids' aunt got eaten by zombies or something I actually would have been entertained by it.