New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Sure. Just create a character can a backstory for him, and make comics!

But I HIGHLY recommend you read Trazoi's guide to Inkscape or That Lanky Bugger's MS paint guide, both of which can help you improve your art. I wish I had read Trazoi's guide before I got started. Also, read the various rules stuff in the OP that I inadvertently helped create when I joined, so you don't get branded for life as a plot-breaker. Of course, I have helped to sustain that reputation...

In all seriousness, its just that school is beginning to start up, so posting during this time period will slow down, when Canadians and citizens of the U.S.* are at school or work.

*Isn't it kind of arrogant that we call ourselves Americans? What about people from Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, or Columbus? They're Americans, too!
    Third school week for me and I didn't slow down.

You are from the only place in America which has the word American in it's name I bet that's why.

@Squark: Good question, but as we know those never get answered.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Also, how do you "e-fart"?
    With your Interbut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #963
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Also, how do you "e-fart"?
    Trust me, you don't want to know.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    With your Interbut.
    Ok, I walked into that one.

Shouldn't it be Interbutt, though?
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-08-26 at 03:58 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Ship, it's both the name and what it is.
    So you mean they will run away with the Ship and not just the ship?

I would recommend you the Heart of Booty, its the fastest ship except for the Mustard Queen. And Manpower probably would leave the rest of his fleet unattended to chase one ship. So you could outrun him. Also the "Heart" is a reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide in which someone also went rogue with a fast ship called the "Heart of [...]".
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2009-08-26 at 05:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post

I would recommend you the Heart of Booty, its the fastest ship except for the Mustard Queen. And Manpower probably would leave the rest of his fleet unattended to chase one ship. So you could outrun him. Also the "Heart" is a reference to the Hitchhiker's Guide in which someone also went rogue with a fast ship called the "Heart of [...]".
    Seems like a pretty sick thing to name a ship

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Well we havn't picked which ship we're onboard yet, so it could easily be the Heart of Booty. Maybe we'll rename it after we split away.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

Would anyone like a story in space ?

No, I'm not proposing we start another plot, but I was just asking what would be people's opinion of that. Especially since it wouldn't be hard for a segment of FI to be that way.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-26 at 06:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

I would recommend you the Heart of Booty, its the fastest ship except for the Mustard Queen. And Manpower probably would leave the rest of his fleet unattended to chase one ship. So you could outrun him.
    That seems...contradictory.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    Would anyone like a story in space ?

No, I'm not proposing we start another plot, but I was just asking what would be people's opinion of that. Especially since it wouldn't be hard for a segment of FI to be that way.
    I'm sure we'll find our way there anyways, though I think Ins would have a fair hand at stifling any motions towards space travel of any sort.

Remember: As soon as Avbaroy becomes a spacefaring civilisation body, the NSE can intervene in Ins' regime.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So Ins would have a vested interest in stopping any Avbaroyan space program?
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

12. - Top - End - #972
    Banned

Argh! I keep forgetting you guys! Stupid addictive WoW...

Could someone continue TJH while I transfer all my templates from my home computer to my laptop, which I now use more frequently.

Also, would you guys oppose if I took the Episode 1 strips and printed them into a private book for myself? I have the equipment to make a book with glossy pages.
    Last edited by X2; 2009-08-26 at 07:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xartyve2 View Post
    Argh! I keep forgetting you guys! Stupid addictive WoW...
    It's EVIL!! I keep telling you.....someone should overthrow them already

Could someone continue TJH while I transfer all my templates from my home computer to my laptop, which I now use more frequently.
    No time at the moment.

Also, would you guys oppose if I took the Episode 1 strips and printed them into a private book for myself? I have the equipment to make a book with glossy pages.
    As long as you're not making money of it, I'm fine
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    I'm sure we'll find our way there anyways, though I think Ins would have a fair hand at stifling any motions towards space travel of any sort.

Remember: As soon as Avbaroy becomes a spacefaring civilisation body, the NSE can intervene in Ins' regime.
    What's the difference ? What makes them suddenly able to intervene when Avbaroyans send rockets or planes into space ?

Anyway, I have a cunning plan for space, and it's got something to do with Karen Dewey. Don't worry, it won't involve blasting the planet to smithereens, it's still got to be semi-intact for Salmon's future.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

What's the difference ? What makes them suddenly able to intervene when Avbaroyans send rockets or planes into space ?

Anyway, I have a cunning plan for space, and it's got something to do with Karen Dewey. Don't worry, it won't involve blasting the planet to smithereens, it's still got to be semi-intact for Salmon's future.
    It's in their laws or somthing. They won't interfere with non-interplanetary governments, hence why they havn't facestomped the UNA yet.
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Or at least came to their aid. It's a lot like Star Trek's The Prime Directive, I believe.

Oh, and I just made my fifth TSS template. I have one thing to say: TOO. MANY. BOOTS. Seriously. The only character who doesn't wear boots, and could (other characters, like Gremlin's cat, don't have the right kind of feet) is Chriky's. EVERY OTHER Character has some kind of @&%$ING BOOTS!

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ogre in the Playground

It's in their laws or somthing. They won't interfere with non-interplanetary governments, hence why they havn't facestomped the UNA yet.
    Why ? It's immoral. The UNA will still be the same after it sends some rockets to nearby planets, maybe with a little upgrades in information technology such as meteorology or television, but the people and most of the government will still be as innocent as ever. Killing them after they land on the moon is as immoral as killing them before that.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Or at least came to their aid. It's a lot like Star Trek's The Prime Directive, I believe.

Oh, and I just made my fifth TSS template. I have one thing to say: TOO. MANY. BOOTS. Seriously. The only character who doesn't wear boots, and could (other characters, like Gremlin's cat, don't have the right kind of feet) is Chriky's. EVERY OTHER Character has some kind of @&%$ING BOOTS!
    I give all my characters boots, and it's usually the same type. I have like one type of boot that I copy and recolor, if I even bother with that.

Oh Copy-paste, I do love you ever so dearly.

@ Mad Mask: Don't ask me, ask Lying, he invented the NSE and gave them that rule. From what i can tell, it's a total prime directive thing. The rule says No Interference, even if that means letting millions die from a plague the NSE could easily cure. Even if it means letting a secretly despotic government that is part of the NSE's primary foe and is specifically hiding behind that rule continue.
    The logic is, if they break the rule for a good reason, they could break it for a bad one, and down that path lies enslaving primitive populations and strip-mining their planets for resources.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-08-26 at 08:24 PM.
    [/Center]

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't have mind as much if the rule was "Don't do anything to civilisations who can't defend themselves", but it's "Don't do anything to civilisations who haven't sent people into space". Earth would have been as easily conquerable a day before or a day after Yuri Gagarin was sent in space.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I wouldn't have mind as much if the rule was "Don't do anything to civilisations who can't defend themselves", but it's "Don't do anything to civilisations who haven't sent people into space". Earth would have been as easily conquerable a day before or a day after Yuri Gagarin was sent in space.
    Maybe the rule is "Don't interefere until they discover Galactic Civilization on their own", and since the NSE is sitting in orbit in their whale-ship thingies, any ships would discover the NSE, and therefore Galactic civilization.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-08-26 at 08:39 PM.
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

What about telescopes ? And looking at the sky ?

If the International Space Station can be viewed with the naked eye, a giant gate and a few humongous whale skeleton space craft should easily seen, with them being so close to Avbaroy an all.

I guess I'll have to wait for Lying's official explanation for all of that.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-26 at 08:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ettin in the Playground

Think of it as a kind of civilisation development marker.

Hamlets
    Towns
    Cities
    Countries
    Planets
    Spaceborne-civilisations

Now, barring some very skeptical species, prior to the final stage (And in many cases, the penultimate one as well), most races will see big powerful silvery things arriving from the sky as a religious event. Others might see it as some reason for a military retaliation scenario ending in mutually assured destruction (Mutual for every living creature on the planet at least).

Essentially, the former Sovice empire destroyed thousands of civilisations of various levels, right back to neolithic eras. Waiting for a species to reach a stage where they could encounter the NSE on their own is their way of ensuring that they don't change the course that species would have taken by themselves.

In a way, it's like not interfering with aboriginal cultures. It's a much more natural progression that they let the species develop to encounter them than the other way around.

The Sovice ships in orbit cannot be seen from the ground. Granted, the ships are the size of blue whales, but a blue whale can't be seen from orbit. Of course, blue whales aren't that big as far as spaceships are concerned, even on a human scale, but when the nanotechnology of the Sovices is concerned, the issue isn't one so much of size but density, the more block equivalents it has, the more energy it can produce.
    Last edited by Lyinginbedmon; 2009-08-26 at 09:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ogre in the Playground

Think of it as a kind of civilisation development marker.

Hamlets
    Towns
    Cities
    Countries
    Planets
    Spaceborne-civilisations

Now, barring some very skeptical species, prior to the final stage (And in many cases, the penultimate one as well), most races will see big powerful silvery things arriving from the sky as a religious event. Others might see it as some reason for a military retaliation scenario ending in mutually assured destruction (Mutual for every living creature on the planet at least).

Essentially, the former Sovice empire destroyed thousands of civilisations of various levels, right back to neolithic eras. Waiting for a species to reach a stage where they could encounter the NSE on their own is their way of ensuring that they don't change the course that species would have taken by themselves.

In a way, it's like not interfering with aboriginal cultures. It's a much more natural progression that they let the species develop to encounter them than the other way around.
    I hope you're using the Transplanted Humans idea, because if the Sovice had encountered thousands of independently evolved human clones I would lose my faith in you.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that the NSE, with their "ethics" and all, shouldn't suddenly have the moral carte blanche to nuke 'em once Ins starts a space program. It's as invalid to destroy Avbaroy before or after they launch people in cramped modules attached to rockets.

The Sovice ships in orbit cannot be seen from the ground. Granted, the ships are the size of blue whales, but a blue whale can't be seen from orbit.
    I give you this.

Even something a quarter of the size of that could still be seen, especially since the Blue Whale-ships have a large glowy reactor. And what about telescopes, even primitive ones ?

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I hope you're using the Transplanted Humans idea, because if the Sovice had encountered thousands of independently evolved human clones I would lose my faith in you.
    Where did he say they were human clones? or even human like? That same scale of power growth could apply to any intelligent life.
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. In Star Trek, for instance, the requirement was to develop a Warp-Drive of some sort.

Ultimately, I find the Prime Directive a bit silly, and think it should have had the following attached to the do not interfere thing; "Except to repair damage done from interference from other Spacefaring Civilizations". As I recall, this seems to have been what Kirk decided numerous times, but the limited hive mind of the sovice means that individualism is lessened, so someone like Kirk is less likely to develop, or attain high status.

EDIT: Also, MM, human-like creatures are quite likely to develop on Earth-like planets, according to evolution. Also, since I usually apply a limited form of that to society, its likely that societies on earth-like planets will take similar paths.
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-08-26 at 09:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

Where did he say they were human clones? or even human like? That same scale of power growth could apply to any intelligent life.
    What I meant was that the odds of so many human-like societies was so improbable that Transplanted Humans would make more sense. Sorry.

^Citation needed. Human kind has been around for less than two million years, after 4.5 billion years of evolution, and all eukaryotes are there because some bacteria happened to execrate oxygen instead of another element. Earth is the way it is now by a string of very small and extraordinary circumstances (think butterfly effect).
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-26 at 09:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

See my edited post. Societies arose the way they did because they worked. Now, if life developed on a planet very different from earth, then the society would quite likely also be very different. However, unlike in our own universe, Earth-Like planets are a dime a dozen in most fictional universes.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

Fun fact: Earth was an inhospitable bunch of rock before photosynthesising organisms came in.

Human kind has been around for less than two million years, after 4.5 billion years of evolution, and all eukaryotes are there because some bacteria happened to execrate oxygen instead of another element. Earth is the way it is now by a string of very small and extraordinary circumstances (think butterfly effect). The changes of that repeating itself independently in another planet are improbable.
    Last edited by Mad Mask; 2009-08-26 at 09:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Terry Pratchett has one thing to say about that, "The Universe doesn't much care if you step on a butterfly. There are plenty more butterflies."

To put it another way: Because of Narrative Causality, large number of earth like planets tend to develop in earth like ways.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

What I meant was that the odds of so many human-like societies was so improbable that Transplanted Humans would make more sense. Sorry.
    Given that the Avbaroyan universe was created by humans, I don't find it improbable that conditions would be created so that human-like societies would be an eventuality on planets capable of supporting life.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)