New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1628
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    Add to that that we propably fail the attack, it would be self-preserving to throw remaining captain-loyal pirates overboard and sail to the methaphorical sunset

After that I guess we have world to save as usual
    I can't see the attack failing when you have a cryptic near-sorcerer, malaria, and a were-badger attacking a crew of likely non-magical royal guards with a few pointy sticks .

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXV: The Future (Imperfect) is...Soon

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    I can't see the attack failing when you have a cryptic near-sorcerer, malaria, and a were-badger attacking a crew of likely non-magical royal guards with a few pointy sticks .
    That's assuming we get anywhere near the ships we're supposed to be fighting.

And this is a TREASURY ship, what makes you think they won't have some pretty serious defenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I am not quite sure who the first two nicknames are referring to in our crew...

Also, I think that heroes-themed plot would be awesome. Yes, superpowers for all! Who is with me?

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Crew of the Heart of Booty (Tell me if I missed someone)

-Malaria 87: Somesort of Alien thing
    -Kalum: Octopus-person Swashbuckler
    -Alana Bronze: Bunny Girl Swashbuckler
    -Felix: Kleptomaniac Ship's Cook
    -(Grim's character, the name isn't in Sinister's post): Another Kleptomaniac, although this one reminds me of Link, appearance wise.
    -Will Sclav: Werebadger
    -Bow and Stern Kaysto: Crewsprite Navigator and Helmsman
    -Mr. X: Cryptic near-sorcerer Planeswalker (No, that's not the source of his condition)
    -(Lemming's character): Some sort of fish thing (in his own words)
    -(Nameless's character): A catman, he appears to be the cabin boy.

EDIT: Grim, Malaria is Q's alien (He said its from... Destroy all Humans, maybe?), and the sorcerer she was referring to is Mr. X. Of course, Mr. X doesn't do anything he doesn't feel like doing. He'll fight, but he's not going to help steer the boat if we don't stay on course.
    Last edited by Squark; 2009-08-28 at 02:51 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    I am not quite sure who the first two nicknames are referring to in our crew...
    Malaria probably refers to my alien Furon character, Malaria 87 (a.k.a Mal).
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2009-08-28 at 02:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post

-(Grim's character, the name isn't in Sinister's post): Another Kleptomaniac, although this one reminds me of Link, appearance wise.
    -Mr. X: Cryptic near-sorcerer Planeswalker (No, that's not the source of his condition)
    -(Nameless's character): A catman, he appears to be the cabin boy.

EDIT: Grim, Malaria is Q's alien (He said its from... Destroy all Humans, maybe?), and the sorcerer she was referring to is Mr. X. Of course, Mr. X doesn't do anything he doesn't feel like doing. He'll fight, but he's not going to help steer the boat if we don't stay on course.
    My character's name is Beren if you want to know... and yes, I took liberty of using link chassis for his clothing and outlook, bit modified, though. His fighting style is also bit more real swordsman than swashbuckler and he "might" catch gadget or ten along in his journey....

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Q, since you called it his last one, you do realize taking a Navi approach is going to get your robot think destroyed very quickly, because as the saying goes, " STOP HELPING ME!"

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Troll in the Playground

Q, since you called it his last one, you do realize taking a Navi approach is going to get your robot think destroyed very quickly, because as the saying goes, " STOP HELPING ME!"
    Well, yes. I do realize that. Because of that, despite what I said earlier, I think I'll try to keep his annoyingness down to a minimum. He can be very helpful.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Ogre in the Playground

-Mr. X: Cryptic Planeswalker
    -(Nameless's character): A catboy, he appears to be the cabin boy.
    So you have a Helmsman, a Navigator, a Cabin Boy, a Cook and seven defined Seamen on the Heart of Booty. (lol Seamen)
    You appear to be missing a vital role, one which I would be happy to fulfil, and will being drafting a character forthwith.

By this I mean "Dibs on being captain!". I may attempt to come up with a first mate as well.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post
    So you have a Helmsman, a Navigator, a Cabin Boy, a Cook and seven defined Seamen on the Heart of Booty. (lol Seamen)
    You appear to be missing a vital role, one which I would be happy to fulfil, and will being drafting a character forthwith.

By this I mean "Dibs on being captain!". I may attempt to come up with a first mate as well.
    Didn't Threeshades make the captain character? Or was that a different ship?

Oh well. I guess you can be captain, as much as I would hate that.

By this I mean "I hate you, Keris Rain, and I don't want you to be the captain. However, you would be a better captain then Chriky. Anybody but Chriky can be captain".
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1091

HalfOrcPirate

Can I be first mate? I wanna be first at something.
    Dr, Bath's Dolly!

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keris Rain View Post

I dont mind whos captain or first mate on the Heart, Manpower is the captain of the Mustard Queen and Commodore of the fleet. But i will also be adding a character to the Heart of Booty's crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    As in this case, mating.
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2009-08-28 at 05:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days Falgorn View Post
    You can be first man overboard.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

As far as first mate goes, I have a couple of comments: Beren does not seem likely to recieve a command position, on the grounds of both being green as far as seamanship goes (Pun [green] intended). Will's difficulty controlling his condition would be problematic, and Mal's tendancy to hide under the bed is not something you want in a leadership role. People with other positions naturally don't make sense as a first mate.

Thus, I see three main possibilities for First mate (4, if Falgorn's character makes sense): Kalum and Alana are both normal enough to be good first mate material, while Mr. X, once he starts speaking, will fit the hypercompetent sidekick role to a tee, making him a reasonable choice.

Ultimately, though, my votes on Kalum, simply because he's the most even-tempered of the three I've mentioned- Alana is a bit on the hyperactive side, while Mr. X spends to much time brooding.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ogre in the Playground

Introducing:

Lennart von Plastikhelm
    Usually referred to simply as Lenny, this Chillakin swashbuckler is an unvoluntary member of 'Stashing Manpower's fleet.
    The long soft fur of Chillakin is very absorbent and if coming in contact with water almost never dries entirely by nonmagical means anymore. Lenny is one of the few Chillakin who has overcome their natural fear of water. He still avoids direct contact with it where possible, but in case he gets wet he uses prestidigitation spells to dry himself.
    Lenny is a Casa Nova of the old school, able to seduce women simply by having them touch his cosmically soft fur.
    Lennart von Plastikhelm has been posted in the crow's nest of the Heart of Booty by Manpower for personal reasons.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Threeshades View Post
    Lenny is a Casa Nova of the old school, able to seduce women simply by having them touch his cosmically soft fur.
    Lennart von Plastikhelm has been posted in the crow's nest of the Heart of Booty by Manpower for personal reasons.
    Flirted with the wrong girl? Or does he cause disruption among female crewmembers?

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Barbarian in the Playground

As far as first mate goes, I have a couple of comments: Beren does not seem likely to recieve a command position, on the grounds of both being green as far as seamanship goes (Pun [green] intended). Will's difficulty controlling his condition would be problematic, and Mal's tendancy to hide under the bed is not something you want in a leadership role. People with other positions naturally don't make sense as a first mate.

Thus, I see three main possibilities for First mate (4, if Falgorn's character makes sense): Kalum and Alana are both normal enough to be good first mate material, while Mr. X, once he starts speaking, will fit the hypercompetent sidekick role to a tee, making him a reasonable choice.

Ultimately, though, my votes on Kalum, simply because he's the most even-tempered of the three I've mentioned- Alana is a bit on the hyperactive side, while Mr. X spends to much time brooding.
    Aw...thanks. I would quite like if Kalum were first mate.

Whoever works best for you guys, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

ABR signature by Darklord Bright.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Dwarf in the Playground

If I were to join, what would I do?

For characters since I'm lazy I'll have draxonicar be my character, but for ease of drawing he'll probably take his mask off...hmm....a ninja/archivist barghest on a pirate ship................odd

stowaway?

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I love how everybody else makes drunks, kleptomaniacs, and other comedically inept and quirky mariners, and you go for a hypercompetant brooding Planeswalker, which, if I remember the MTG novels correctly, is a nigh-unkillable superwizard powerful enough to create entire planets (Re: Mirrodin). The type of guy who is essentially a god.

So yeah, just to make sure, you ARE putting llimitations on mister X right? Like, serious limitations. The type that put him on a level with our perfectly mundane sword-swingers (Not Unstoppable Blademasters mind you, just Sailors who know which end of a cutlass to stick in people. Remember, a Pirate's duties are pretty much identical to an ordinary sailor's like 98% of the time. ) Or you're not using the MtG version of a planeswalker.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-08-28 at 08:32 PM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draxonicar View Post
    If I were to join, what would I do?

For characters since I'm lazy I'll have draxonicar be my character, but for ease of drawing he'll probably take his mask off...hmm....a ninja/archivist barghest on a pirate ship................odd

stowaway?
    I don't think D&D rules are being used in the Sea Scoundrels plot.

I could be wrong though. Threeshades?
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2009-08-28 at 08:37 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    I don't think D&D rules are being used in the Sea Scoundrels plot.

I could be wrong though. Threeshades?
    As with all ABR stuff, we kind of dance between DnD stuff and not. When it clashes we throw a hissy-fit in the Discussion thread, and then we go and get e-tacos.
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #1102

I do remember Threeshades mentioning that magic should be kept to a minimum, though, so I dunno if archivist would fit. A character throwing out Dictum and Polymorph Any Object from the shadows could be quite nigh unstoppable, after all.

(And my apologies about the treasury question. I originally assumed that almost everyone else in the world is, at most, on par with the swordslingers, so I just assumed that people with way extraordinary abilities would end the battle with any number of normal seamen with ease.)

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ogre in the Playground

I do remember Threeshades mentioning that magic should be kept to a minimum, though, so I dunno if archivist would fit. A character throwing out Dictum and Polymorph Any Object from the shadows could be quite nigh unstoppable, after all.

(And my apologies about the treasury question. I originally assumed that almost everyone else in the world is, at most, on par with the swordslingers, so I just assumed that people with way extraordinary abilities would end the battle with any number of normal seamen with ease.)
    Did i say that? I remember saying magic technology should be kept to a minimum but magic in te classical use is fine with me.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I should probably take this opporotunity to describe how Crewsprites behave in combat.

Since they're made out of rags,clothing and wood, plus since they don't exactly bleed out or anything, they tend to be more durable than a human. However, their Kinesthetic sense (That is, their awareness of their bodies position) and their control over their body isn't as natural or fluid as humans or other species, so they're somewhat clumsier in combat. Which isn't to say they are incapable of acts requiring precision or dexterity, it just takes alot of attention, so while Bow can, for example, pilot the ship expertly, he couldn't achieve that level of dexterity while distracted by being in melee combat. So, in melee, they tend to go for a more aggressive style, relying on their durability and resistance to pain to make up for their lack of dexterity. Those with ropes or rags for hands (As many have) like to use these hands to grab and entangle oppentents, tripping them.

In terms of magic, temperature extremes are their main weakness. When dry, they are very vulnerable to fire, when wet, since they have no body heat, it's very easy to freeze one solid (For an example of what happens, try putting a wet rag in the freezer).
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #1105

Did i say that? I remember saying magic technology should be kept to a minimum but magic in te classical use is fine with me.
    No! We have enough epic-level mages! It's bad enough as it is with fricking evokers... Imagine what we'd be up against if anyone tried making a transmuter or... *Shudders*
    Last edited by Wreckingrocc; 2009-08-28 at 09:39 PM.
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

26. - Top - End - #1106

Woah...wait, we're actually allowing full-blown D&D-styled magic in TSS? I don't, admittedly, see much of a reason to even have naval warfare when ye old batman wizard can PAO a ship into a rabbit with one spell slot, destroy cannonballs with star mantle, or kill an entire pirate fleet with one single casting of dictum.

Perhaps a little limit on magic would be nice =p? Something like capping its capabilities somewhere close to the powers of the two current antagonists? Just a little suggestion, since a simple fireball can mess up an entire ship =p.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Personally, I'd prefer ABR to gradually move away from D&D mechanics since the mish-mash of a wide array of characters and concepts is poorly represented with D&D mechanics, but that's probably just me.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

28. - Top - End - #1108

If we have casters, I'd say their max spell level would have to be ~2. Otherwise it's too damn annoying.
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

New comic is upp-ish... hopefully I did not break anyone's plans for next few comics with it. If you wish it can very easily be made non-canon.

And I agree, Beren is not really your best choice for first mate, though I think he could be a narrator of sorts. Everyone else sees his mutterings propably as sign of insanity

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ogre in the Playground

I wan't to wipe that overconfident grin off Beren's face so much...

Also, I swear, if Mal ever says "Hey, listen! I think we're in trouble/We might need a key to open that door!" when we've all known for ages, I will simultaneously rage and lawl.

Edit: also, response up to Grim. I liked making this one.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2009-08-29 at 03:15 AM.