New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Age of the Warriors - a ToB expansion book idea

We're really starting to see a LOT of homebrew ToB disciplines on this board. With this many extra homebrews out there, it's almost like we're not talking about the "fabled 10th discipline" but rather the disciplines less well known.

That is, the way I see it, it almost feels like if we could fluff this all as saying the 9 original ToB disciplines are the ones that achieved major popularity because of Reshar's personal influence and his ability to push these out to the greater public, while the other extra disciplines are more like alternate schools that just never got the same recognition that Reshar's chosen schools got.

And so I had an idea here (finally he gets to the point), what if we were to put together a netbook that catalogs all of the homebrew disciplines and in addition to just holding them there, we create additional relationships between each discipline and tie them in with the original 9 somehow?

what I mean is that when you look at most real life martial arts, a lot of them you can usually trace their lineage and influences to other schools. (and for those that are less well documented, it can often become a source of controversy)

What if we tried to do the same with the homebrews and the original 9? i.e. Chthonic Serpent that DragoonWraith wrote up had established another master alongside of Reshar, stemming from a clear divergence in philosophy, and also sort of establishes chronological order in terms of when it came into prominence. (or rather, when it was finally established as an actual school)

This could also be used as a means to collect some homebrew ToB discipline design conventions so new homebrewers can use it as a guideline as to how to make their own new school.

What do you guys think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Age of the Warriors - a ToB expansion book idea

Working in Falling Anvil(see my signature) would be tricky, but I am willing to give it a shot...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I'd also be willing to work with Chthonic Binding in this. I already have a bit of relations between Reshar and the Discipline, but it could be fleshed out more, and of course there could be the other schools to consider.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

dude, if I can get falling anvil in there and make it work, that alone will make the project worth it.

we'll have to establish a couple things first:

1. create a list of the homebrews that we're going to include
    2. establish a canonical timeline
    3. establish how the homebrews fit into the canonical timeline
    4. dress up the details so they can be ported into the game with minimal fuss.

#1 is going to just take some good ol' fashion board scouring. I know that demented one and Fax has also made a bunch of homebrew disciplines too and I'll be picking their brains later.

#2 will take a lot of umm... creative licensing since I don't think the ToB book actually talked a great deal about Reshar and the exact chronological events that transpired. But here is what I see as the major time periods/events:

Time before the Nine
    Rise of Reshar
    Establishment of the Temple
    The Era of Reshar
    Reshar's retirement
    The Destruction of the Temple

we'll talk about each one in detail later

#3 once we've established the above timeline and can agree on some of the details, we can fit the homebrews in.

I think though, the fact that the homebrews did not make it into the major 9 implies the following:

- Reshar did not master it, and therefore did not bring it into prominence.
    - The discipline in question did not see prominence like that of the original 9. While ANOTHER master could bring it into prominence, I think it's safe to say that the original 9 were the mainstream schools, with the other 9 being more niche and less well known.
    - Reshar, who was able to bring his 9 schools and temple into such recognition, was probably a PR and marketing genius of his time.
    - Was Reshar the first master of the nine?

#4 more details for the homebrews

once we figure out HOW the homebrews fit into the timeline, we would have to establish some masters of the discipline and some more background details regarding.

So basically, we'll need
    - the master who established the discipline
    - how it came about
    - where it was located
    - when it was in it's formation stage
    - when it was completed
    - notable users of the discipline

note: we also need to make a distinction between the disciplines here and schools that are derivative of the disciplines. That is, there is a difference between someone who actually establishes a discipline of his own, and someone who simply combined two different disciplines and calls it a new school. Think of the latter as an MMA fighter who picks up some jiu-jitsu and some muay thai, and then creates a new school under a new name.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

You thinking new base classes, too, trained in different ways from the Warblade, Crusader and Swordsage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Post reserved for discipline list

here I'm going to list all the disciplines that I am aware of. It will be a growing list and if anyone sees one that I missed (which will be very likely) please let me know and I'll add it to the list

Disciplines
    Spoiler
    Show

Gentle Breeze - Closet Skeleton
    the Placid Lake Discipline
    Far Realm - Jack Mann
    Ninefold Damnation - PairO' Dice
    Infinite Torment: - PairO' Dice
    Ocean Tempest: - PairO' Dice

Lesser Discipline By I_got_this_name
    Falling Wave
    Glacial Chill
    Leaping Gale
    Rending Scream
    Silver Pegasus
    True Arrow
    Viper Fang

Black Rain - Demented One
    Coin's Edge - Demented One
    Dread Crown - Demented One
    Golden Saint - Demented One
    Scarlet Bravura - Demented One
    Falling Anvil - DracoDei
    Chthonic Serpent - DragoonWraith
    Falling Star - Fax
    Kaleidoscopic Dream - Demeont One
    Fool's Grip - Demented One
    Way of the Gear - Imp_Fireball
    Solaris Arcanum - Golden-Esque
    Scarlet Rose - Nero24200
    Black Lotus - Zakaroth
    Broken Blade - JoshuaZ
    Narrow Bridge - JoshuaZ
    [http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...112720]Untamed Essencep[/url] - Vox Clamantis
    Holy Word Discipline - Fax Celestis
    Ocean Soul - Fax Celestis
    The Discipline of the Lost Lyrics - Kellus
    Frozen Zephyr/Acidic Fog/Shocking Sky disciplines - Krimm Blackleaf (Desert Wind Variant)
    Army of One - The demented one
    Dancing Leaf - The demented one
    Oncoming Storm - The demented one
    Sleeping Goddess - The demented one
    Twin Spirit - demented one
    black heron - errantx
    Quicksilver Aegis - Krimm
    Witch Razor - pyrefiend

PrCs
    Spoiler
    Show

Assassin
    Incarnate Knight - vasharanpaladin
    Heartshaper and the Bladed Thoughts Discipline -
    Guardian of the Frozen Grotto and the Placid Lake Discipline -
    Moonflame Adept -
    Kazarzeth - Errantx
    Ecclesiastic Knight - Errantx
    The Master of One - Errantx
    True Master of Nine - DracoDei
    Bladesinger Redux - Errantx
    Shadow Knight - Duke Malagigi
    Suel Arcanamach = errantx
    Another Master of One - PairO'Dice
    Blade Operant - Demented One
    Braveheart Bravo - Demented One
    Dreaming Lotus Assassin - Demented One
    Ebon Raven General - Demented One
    Enlightened Budoka - Demented One
    Errant Blademaster - Demented One
    Leviathan-Born - Demented One
    Madspawn Broodling - Demented One
    Nightmare Reaver - Demented One
    Oracle Knight - Demented One
    Savage Savant - Demented One
    Silent Demon = Demented One
    Spellfire Banisher - Demented One
    Sublime Warrior - Demented One
    Thousand-Arrow Archer - Demented One
    Whirlwind Heir - Demented One

The following are by Krimm
    Aberrant Armorlord
    Al-shra'a Al-mharb
    Angel of Death
    Blade Incarnate
    Blade Maiden
    Blood Sage
    Combat Artisan
    Concealed Celestial
    Crusader of Death
    Demonspawn Harbinger
    Doom Lord
    Draconic Partisan
    Eaglewing Striker
    Ebon Phoenix Mage
    Eldritch Blademaster
    Eldritch Knight (Redux)
    Harmonic Lance Adept
    Hollowed Soul
    Holy Deathless One
    Huixxa Vo Nyarlathotep
    Iron Slasher
    Ironsword Speaker
    Masked Demon
    Occult Adversary
    Prestige Paladin (Redux)
    Prodigal Overlord
    Sacred Fist (Redux)
    Saurian Brute
    Shrouded Ambusher
    Soul Eater (Redux)
    Soulfire Invoker
    Spirit Archer
    Spirit Craftsman
    Spirit Lords (Champion, Skirmisher and Spellmaster)
    Sword of Levakross
    Unmasked Fiend
    Unseelie Knight
    Unveiled Dragon
    Warforged Armorlord
    Warped Angel
    Weretouched Master (Redux)
    Zealot of Salamander
    Holy Knight - DragoonWraith

Base Class
    Spoiler
    Show

Blademaster - T.G. Oskar
    Martial Warrior - Imp-Fireball
    Soul Disciple - Demented One
    Warlord - Demented One
    Warrior-Poet - Demented One
    Marshal
    Swashbuckler
    Firedancer - Tatsel Ganav
    Warmage - Golden-Esque
    Martial Soul - PairO'Dice
    Sohei Adept - Shyftir

variants
    Alternate AFC b T.G. Oskar
    monk of the sublime way - pax chi
    Martial Adept Fighter - dangerprawn
    Crusader, Swordsage, Warblade, Epic progression - Krimm
    ToB Core Class Update. - Fax_Celestis
    Alternate Stance Progression Table

Items
    Warheart Weapons: Sublime counterparts to magic weapons.

Artifacts
    Basatan's Arm - Krimm

Monsters
    Demented One
    Aay-y'y: Chaotic warriors of amazing power and skill who roam Limbo.
    Grave Trooper: Undead soldiers who know how to fight.
    Jiang Shi: Kung fu vampires, basically.
    Martial Automaton: Programmable martial constructs.
    Krimm
    Shayal
    Varkigon (scroll down a bit)
    Dorokusai - Saintheart
    Cold Iron Dragon -

Feats
    The following are by Krimm
    Epic Martial Adept Feats
    More Epic Martial Adept Feats
    Martial Multiclass Feats
    9 Epic Martial Discipline Feats
    Last edited by elliott20; 2010-01-03 at 11:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    You thinking new base classes, too, trained in different ways from the Warblade, Crusader and Swordsage?
    That is also an option. While we're at it, we can also include core variants initiators as well. Basically, in my mind, I envision this book to have enough material that if a GM wants to, they can do an entire campaign based on the material in the book.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    That is also an option. While we're at it, we can also include core variants initiators as well. Basically, in my mind, I envision this book to have enough material that if a GM wants to, they can do an entire campaign based on the material in the book.
    Heh, as it turns out, I'm working on a Sublime Bard at this very moment.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    Heh, as it turns out, I'm working on a Sublime Bard at this very moment.
    sweet, I really should make another post outlining things I want to see.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

organization of the book (as I see it thus far, criticisms welcome)

1. The canonical ToB time line and material

establishes the source material and tries to give more theories as to what constitutes the canonical ToB time line as well as give more info about Reshar and the environment he lived in.

2. class variants

here we list the sublime way variants out there. I'll need help with the list since I can't seem to turn up a definitive list anywhere.

I think we might want to be more scrutinizing about what variants we use though, since I think I've seen at least 3 different sublime fighter variants and I recall not liking all of them. optimally, I think we want to use variants that are really just that, variants with minimal changes. the variants that makes a LOT of changes I would recommend they go under the next section.

3. more base classes

these are base classes designed entirely from the ground up to fit into the ToB model. A large number of the variants, in my opinion, really should fall under here simply because of how drastically different they are from their source materials.

4. the homebrew disciplines

Like I said earlier, these will be where we catalog the disciplines, give some info about them, and fit them into the canon. Here is where we establish our new "canon" for the ToB-verse. (maybe that's the name we should adopt?)

5. homebrew discipline maneuver list

just like in ToB, a section that outlines the disciplines maneuvers in short hand, with the next section giving more details on the maneuvers.

6. maneuver description

7. setting info

here we talk about the actual setting of the ToB-verse, giving more specific location settings, areas, and maybe even an adventure seed table or two.

this is also where we list the notable characters of the ToB-verse from the various disciplines. (further establishing relationships with the various ToB disciplines)

8. new monsters

I'm not sure if we'll get to this, but I'm sure that some of you have done ToB homebrew monsters. We can list them here. here we can also talk about how to adapt old MM monsters into ToB ready materials.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Check the sticky thread at the top of the homebrew thread list page for a link to the attempt at an index then look for disciplines...

For one thing I think there are TWO different disciplines named "Falling Star" that have been created on these boards.

Also, if you read the fluff for Falling Anvil, it is possible that instead of being something you necessarily have to learn from a teacher, it is a mental illness that those who study the Sublime Way are especially prone to and get much more severe cases of (since a non-initiator can only learn 3 maneuvers and 1 Stance via feats). Thus it could have existed almost as long as the first other discipline ever to have a few hundred or thousand practioners and had no one single inventor/creator or even specific chain of inventors, each of whom advance the art further.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2009-12-06 at 11:34 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you want to add Solaris Arcanum, you'd be more then welcomed :).

I use a similar method in my campaigns to what you described; each Discipline has its own history and background, and one man tried to unite as many of them as he could, but ultimately failed because many disciplines cross racial tension lands and other such issues.

Eliot, if you look at Demented One's list of Homebrew, he's made a LOT of them.
    Last edited by Golden-Esque; 2009-12-06 at 11:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Check the sticky thread at the top of the page for a link to the attempt at an index then look for disciplines...

For one thing I think there are TWO different disciplines named "Falling Star" that have been created on these boards.

Also, if you read the fluff for Falling Anvil, it is possible that instead of being something you necessarily have to learn from a teacher, it is a mental illness that those who study the Sublime Way are especially prone to and get much more severe cases of (since a non-initiator can only learn 3 maneuvers and 1 Stance via feats). Thus it could have existed almost as long as the first other discipline ever to have a few hundred or thousand practioners and had no one single inventor/creator or even specific chain of inventors, each of whom advance the art further.
    yeah, I'm aware of that. That's why I'm saying that it might not have come into prominence or wide recognition as an actual, respected discipline the way the original 9 were. It is entirely possible for a lot of the homebrew disciplines to have co-existed along side the original 9 or even long before it, and just not recognized because no one ever bother pushing together into a single system.

thanks for reminding me about that thread. I'm combing it now for more disciplines to look for.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I was referring to the fact that you didn't seem sure that you could work it in... also, I need to decide on which home-brew disciplines it is incompatible with, because I only list the ToB ones that it edges out when you take the first maneuver of it. Scarlet Bravura, for instance, may be

As for PrCs, I made the True Master of Nine, and someone made a Master of One. There was also a single discipline Base class (or maybe it got access to a second discipline around 10th level... yeah, I think it did). Note that I am pretty stuck on the legacy weapons, and a few of the listed maneuvers are unfinished... and I still need to add banana peel based maneuvers one of these days.
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

yeah, one of the things I think we're going to have problem with is what exactly should we include.

not all of the disciplines are finished and let's face it, not all of it really meshes well together. (A large number of them may very well be duplicates of one another)

I think one of the criterion we use for taking a piece of work is that we have to make sure that it has the following:

1. proper formatting: I know this is a silly thing to use as a criteria, but considering the amount of material we're talking about assimilating, it would take considerable effort to as is to make sure all the formatting syncs up. To have to do this for write ups without any formatting would make this a nightmare

2. is finished or will be finished. a lot of projects I see seem to get abandoned or at least not get the updated version posted. I don't mind if a product is not fine tuned, but it needs to be at least finished.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have a few under my favorites
    Army of One (The demented one)
    Dancing Leaf (The demented one)
    Oncoming Storm (The demented one)
    Sleeping Godess (The demented one)
    and The Broken Blade (JoshuaZ)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5710173
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85614
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54816
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5408276
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122533

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

okay added.

it just occurred to me that I really should link these... oh well... later.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. This much material would basically allow someone to run a game with initiators without ever buying the tome of battle. Thank you all very much!
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

keep in mind, the intend is not to reprint the entirety of ToB in a single place, but rather add more/organize material to supplement it. So, in theory you could run a game without buying ToB, you would just won't be able to do anything with the original 9 disciplines in them. (kind of like, the shadows of the ToB-verse type of deal)

The core concept is that you could, with this book and the ToB book, run an entirely initiator based campaign.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

You missed another one of mine, a remake of the Suel Arcanamach which adds maneuvers as well as streamlines the various abilities of the class/makes it actually have a hope and a prayer of accomplishing what the fluff suggests it does.

Otherwise, I dig what you're doing here. I'll see if I can contribute more to this.

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2009-12-07 at 01:12 AM.
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

We're really starting to see a LOT of homebrew ToB disciplines on this board. With this many extra homebrews out there, it's almost like we're not talking about the "fabled 10th discipline" but rather the disciplines less well known.
    Um. Starting? Krimm and I did most of this stuff years ago. But that said, most of the stuff I've done is already fluffed to fit in with something like this. Lemme give you links.

Disciplines
    Army of One: Take on legions, and win.
    Black Rain: Gun fu. Need I say more?
    Coin's Edge: A supernatural style that draws on fate and luck.
    Dancing Leaf: Dodge everything.
    Dread Crown: Vile martial arts inspired by demon princes and archdevils.
    Fool's Grip: The art of whatever happens to be at hand.
    Golden Saint: Angelic martial arts.
    Kaleidoscopic Dream: Chaotic, reality-warping martial arts.
    Oncoming Storm: The noble arts of iajutsu and bladesmanship bastardized for street-fighting and assassination.
    Scarlet Bravura: WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?
    Sleeping Goddess: Kill people with your brain.
    Twin Spirit: Martial arts for cavalry.

Base Classes
    Soul Disciple: Incarnum-wielding martial artist that channel the souls of past masters.
    Warlord: Masters of tactics and strategy.
    Warrior-Poet: Sublime swashbucklers who use both martial prowess and witty banter.

Prestige Classes
    Blade Operant: Secret agents with powerful martial techniques implanted in their subconscious minds.
    Braveheart Bravo: God damn halflings who're god damn good at killing people.
    Dreaming Lotus Assassin: Members of a cabal of spies and assassins that surely doesn't exist.
    Ebon Raven General: Commandos specializing in stealth and group tactics.
    Enlightened Budoka: Warrior-monks that turn their foes' strength against them.
    Errant Blademaster: Self-trained martial adepts.
    Leviathan-Born: Darfellan scions of the oceanic god of death, who fight without regard for their own lives.
    Madspawn Broodling: Willing hosts to aberrant symbiotes, masters of using living weaponry.
    Nightmare Reaver: Soulknives who have honed their martial skills to perfection.
    Oracle Knight: Prescient martial adepts that rely on second sight to win their battles.
    Savage Savant: Atavistic martial adepts that channel their bestial psyche to achieve feats of bloody brutality.
    Silent Demon: Exercises in calm, calculating, restrained brutality.
    Spellfire Banisher: Sublime mage-slayers.
    Sublime Warrior: Prodigies who have re-invented martial disciplines.
    Thousand-Arrow Archer: Sublime marksman.
    Whirlwind Heir: Samurai masters of the quick-draw.

Items
    Warheart Weapons: Sublime counterparts to magic weapons.

Monsters
    Aay-y'y: Chaotic warriors of amazing power and skill who roam Limbo.
    Grave Trooper: Undead soldiers who know how to fight.
    Jiang Shi: Kung fu vampires, basically.
    Martial Automaton: Programmable martial constructs.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

holy Reshar's deadly pinkie, demented one. I knew that you and krimm have been ridiculously productive little bees on this front but I did not realize the extent of which we're talking about here.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

holy Reshar's deadly pinkie, demented one. I knew that you and krimm have been ridiculously productive little bees on this front but I did not realize the extent of which we're talking about here.
    You obviously don't know them very well .

I'd also throw in the lesser disciples by I_Got_This_Name, which can be found Here.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

How about the shadow knight? Part Solomon Kane part mystical ninja.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Oh, in terms of classes, in addition to the bard-like I'm working on, I also made the Holy Knight, a Invocation/Maneuver PrC. First draft was horrendously overpowered, since I was just writing down every idea that I had, but I haven't managed to get any critique on the revision.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

yeah, I do vaguely recall seeing the lesser disciplines sometime back. Good to know that we can pull them back into the fold. Though, to be honest, I feel that some of the stuff there doesn't fit with some of the conventions mentioned here.

the lesser disciplines, for all intensive purposes, are in the same boat as most homebrews done by Demented One. As such, I feel that perhaps we should try to merge the conventions here.

the lesser disciplines as of right now, require a feat expenditure in order to add onto your list of your learn-able schools. Demented one handles it through a single training investment of 1000 xp or replacing an existing one.

Between the two, I feel that the demented one's implementation is better for the learning convention. (since it's not tied to a resource that is very precious)

The second issue that I'm beginning to see here is that a lot of the materials occupy very similar fluff. As such, they over lap quite a bit. I think we've already seen 2-3 different knight initiators that basically screams "assassin's creed".

We need to find a way to really differentiate between these different initiators or we're gonna have to (and I hate even saying this) just pick a single one and move on. There are several methods I can think of for this kind of reconciliation:

1. the fluff similar because they are fundamentally off shoots of each other. They are all just branch offs from the same source. That is, it's simply a matter of region, era, or some other philosophical difference that creates the difference.

2. pick a most suitable one that the board likes the best, and drop the other ones.

3. merge them together to make them a single material, taking on aspects of each. I don't really like this since it means create ANOTHER version of the material.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

yeah, I do vaguely recall seeing the lesser disciplines sometime back. Good to know that we can pull them back into the fold. Though, to be honest, I feel that some of the stuff there doesn't fit with some of the conventions mentioned here.

the lesser disciplines, for all intensive purposes, are in the same boat as most homebrews done by Demented One. As such, I feel that perhaps we should try to merge the conventions here.

the lesser disciplines as of right now, require a feat expenditure in order to add onto your list of your learn-able schools. Demented one handles it through a single training investment of 1000 xp or replacing an existing one.

Between the two, I feel that the demented one's implementation is better for the learning convention. (since it's not tied to a resource that is very precious)
    That sounds reasonable, and simple to change.

The second issue that I'm beginning to see here is that a lot of the materials occupy very similar fluff. As such, they over lap quite a bit. I think we've already seen 2-3 different knight initiators that basically screams "assassin's creed".

We need to find a way to really differentiate between these different initiators or we're gonna have to (and I hate even saying this) just pick a single one and move on. There are several methods I can think of for this kind of reconciliation:

1. the fluff similar because they are fundamentally off shoots of each other. They are all just branch offs from the same source. That is, it's simply a matter of region, era, or some other philosophical difference that creates the difference.

2. pick a most suitable one that the board likes the best, and drop the other ones.

3. merge them together to make them a single material, taking on aspects of each. I don't really like this since it means create ANOTHER version of the material.
    #1 Is the quickest, and perhaps the best. #2 cuts down document size, at the cost of voting time. #3 Is probably not a good idea.
    I vote for #1, #2 if needed.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

If you need a fluff-writer, I'd be willing to help.

Also, for a name, I think I saw "The Book of Forgotten Swords" somewhere years ago on this forum. Sounds awesome to me.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    If you need a fluff-writer, I'd be willing to help.
    I most certainly will.

Also, for a name, I think I saw "The Book of Forgotten Swords" somewhere years ago on this forum. Sounds awesome to me.
    It's a good name, but my feeling right now is that we're not trying to make a book about the forgotten/lost arts, but simply use this to create a period where we have literally hundreds and thousands of schools out there, all with different interpretations and ideas about martial arts. That is, an age of martial scholars.

The main nine are meant to the mainstream school that everyone who does martial arts know about, and probably each one have major factions built around it.

But along the side, if you do a little digging, you start seeing all the other offshoots and branches that have their own thing going on. Basically, we're trying to make what is a DC 30 knowledge check into a DC 15 check.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

This post I'm going to reserve to talk about the canonical time-line as shown in the ToB book.

There is no mention of actual times or years in the ToB, possibly so that the material can be quickly adapted to any game. So in keeping with that, I have no intention of adding actual time lines in here so much as relative time references to mark events.

What I feel would be immensely useful is the division of time frames. Right now we have a clear division in time periods:

before Reshar developed the temple
    the era while Reshar was at the temple
    post-Reshar era

For the purposes of brevity, I'll split events into two sections: before temple BT and after temple AT. (someone PLEASE help me come up with a better term. I feel dumber just typing that) pre-temple talks about the time when Reshar is still trying to establish himself as a master warrior.

somewhere in there we have to fit in these events
    Reshar's early life
    Reshar acquiring each of the 9 disciplines
    Reshar creating the temple for the 9
    The era of Reshar's glory
    Reshar's retirement
    Temple Destruction