New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Tooth and Tentacle [3.5 base class PEACH]

Second go!

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    So, I was thinking over semirelated things and had an idea for a feat.

Living Blood [Aberrant]
    As your blood flows free of your veins, it flows into terrible forms.
    Prerequisites: Aberrant Blood, Strange Anatomy, Form Points, Features
    Benefit: You gain one form point for every five hit points you are missing from your normal maximum. Unlike normal, these form points can be used to create or augment features as a free action immediately upon being received, without the need to revert to your worldly guise and the features created may be changed as a swift action for as long as the form points are avaiable, they may not, however, be combined with the form points of your usual pool in order to create features (they may be used to augment existing features created with normal form points, however).
    The form points gained through this feat remain for up to one round after you are healed enough to lose them, at which point any features or feature augmentations created with them spontaneously unshape.
    Normal: Taking damage is strictly worse than not taking damage.
    Special: If you have the Truth in the Guise class feature, this feat also works while you are in your wordly guise.
    No longer works in worldly guise unless you are a Malshaper. Which I swear I am going to finish.
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-01-31 at 11:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Thought I'd mention that I went and updated the first page with a handful of feats that had been scattered throughout these last few pages I never got around to putting up there (specifically, two healing feats, stigma, and the shadowcasting horror feat). As for the Living Blood feat, it seems like it should specify if it allows immediate assigning of the form points, or allows them to be assigned at the normal rate even if not in the worldly guise and lacking aberrant nature. Also should as mentioned specify it is an aberrant feat, as well as have aberrant blood listed as a prerequisite (since all aberrant feats do, even if it seems redundant given other prerequisites).

For those who haven't noticed, I also made a minor change to the esoteric PRCs, see the menacing manor thread for details and feedback on that.

I really should try to finish the machine at some point, but have been somewhat lacking in ideas of how to do so as of late... Also I'm currently trying to work on another project, the nature of which I shall give no more hints about until it is ready to post (even if you aren't the one person with whom it has been discussed).

Owrtho
    I would suggest not completing the Machine PrC, and instead granting the unique form point mechanic as a possible ACF.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #783
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Second go!

No longer works in worldly guise unless you are a Malshaper. Which I swear I am going to finish.
    Glad to hear you are still working on the Malshaper. I'm still very excited to see the end result.

When it comes to the Living Blood feat. I just want to make sure you control the features allowed on very blood that has been spilt or is it the blood you still have in you. Either way is there a movement for blood that has left your body?

I just want to point out the Warlock prc on the homebrew page that says something about "blood" being spilt. It talks about spread controlling blood as well as "spraying" it around. Could one with the Living Blood feat elect to loose more hp to "splurt blood out"

4. - Top - End - #784
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvalonŽ View Post
    Orthwo, do the size increases obtained in epic levels (Colossal +, Colossal ++, etc.) apply only to epic levels of the Ozodrin or would PrC's count?
    I think this was overlooked.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

I think this was overlooked.
    Ah right, I meant to reply to that before and forgot. Anyway, if you're asking if ozodrin and PRC levels stack to determine that, I'd say no. If you're asking if that is part of the epic progression for ozodrin PRCs, I'd say unless they specifically state a different progression, sure (and in that case if you have both epic ozodrin and epic ozodrin PRC progression, that would likely stack).

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

6. - Top - End - #786

So does that mean that a build like Ozodrin 20/ Ozodrin PrC 10 would still be limited to only Colossal features?

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

So does that mean that a build like Ozodrin 20/ Ozodrin PrC 10 would still be limited to only Colossal features?
    Yes, it does.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Glad to hear you are still working on the Malshaper. I'm still very excited to see the end result.

When it comes to the Living Blood feat. I just want to make sure you control the features allowed on very blood that has been spilt or is it the blood you still have in you. Either way is there a movement for blood that has left your body?

I just want to point out the Warlock prc on the homebrew page that says something about "blood" being spilt. It talks about spread controlling blood as well as "spraying" it around. Could one with the Living Blood feat elect to loose more hp to "splurt blood out"
    The line immediately bellow the name of the feat is fluff (I tend to place more fluff in the text of special abilities than in the usual places). The basic effect of the feat is that you get 1 FP for every 5 HP you are missing.

What the feat does is make <all> your blood have some capacity to take ozodrin forms, the blood has a slight problem, however, of being restrained inside your meat and blood vessels. Taking damage allows the blood to flow out unrestrained and without being pumped around by your heart (which would be a tad problematic for shaping any features with it, dont want to clot your arteries with tiny mouths, do you?).

As for "electing to lose more hp to splurt blood out" there is no line giving that ability, so the default assumption should be "no". You can easily stab/bite/maul yourself to do just that, of course. But that is an attack action (then again, Ozodrins have pretty large full attack routines).
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

9. - Top - End - #789

Feat commentary (I have more, but I don’t have a lot of time.)

Living Blood – Most features cannot have augments added to them after they are created. Does this feat allow you to ignore that exception or are we talking about the mouth/stomach features?

Strange/Soothing energies: So, almost no one is immune to positive energy. In fact, living creatures will strive to AVOID being immune to it since it is a healing energy. Except in 1-3 specific situations where WOTC decided it wasn’t. Or wasn’t paying attention – the savage species instance looks like someone messed up. It effects incorporeal creatures like force damage. It is probably the best energy type to pick in most situations due to it effecting almost everything except some undead and constructs. It is also really counter-intuitive. I would never expect positive energy to deal damage to living creatures, nor would anyone I know. Even the plane that KILLS people with positive energy doesn’t do it by dealing damage. The description mentioning how positive energy heals the living and hurts the undead does say "in general" so some exceptions could exist, but I don't think anyone would assume that.

Medicine Maker: Some of the augments don’t have names and it needs serious wording help.
    Last edited by Magikeeper; 2012-01-31 at 12:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post
    Feat commentary (I have more, but I don’t have a lot of time.)

Living Blood – Most features cannot have augments added to them after they are created. Does this feat allow you to ignore that exception or are we talking about the mouth/stomach features?
    An edit to this end has been made.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #791

Okay, more comments:

Idea to fix soothing energies: Just remove positive/negative energy from Strange Energies, and then replace Soothing Energies with a positive/negative feat. There. You need two feats to heal people. Although right now you could just heal undead with just one feat with the negative damage (or is this some kind of bizarre negative damage that hurts undead? No one would assume that, just as people would not assume this is ignoring the general assumption that positive energy heals the living).

Hole in Time still has that issue we talked about (Creating a fast time plane for games that don’t already have access to one, which is unbelievable powerful even in epic).

The Menacing Manor prestige class has a typo - it doesn’t mention HOW MANY consecutive rounds it takes to set up a building plot.

Medicine Maker Wording issues, missing names, etc. Already mentioned this two posts ago, just keeping the list complete.

Devour: So, what is your opinion on the new contains-round-by-round-healing version?

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, things I should respond to. Been a bit busy lately, in part with trying to work on the PRC I mentioned above.

Idea to fix soothing energies: Just remove positive/negative energy from Strange Energies, and then replace Soothing Energies with a positive/negative feat. There. You need two feats to heal people. Although right now you could just heal undead with just one feat with the negative damage (or is this some kind of bizarre negative damage that hurts undead? No one would assume that, just as people would not assume this is ignoring the general assumption that positive energy heals the living).
    Anyway, I don't feel soothing energies needs to be fixed. Positive energy is always damaging by default, and must specifically state if it is healing. It is intentionally harder to get the ability to heal for ozodrin since it becomes infinite out of combat healing (even if you may be dealing other damage that it needs to counteract). That said, it's easy to get ways of dealing unlimited negative energy and healing undead with it. Undead specifically state all negative energy harms them unless otherwise stated (while also noting that even positive energy that would heal harms them). And given that strange energies also grants access to similarly difficult to protect against energies, I don't see much of a problem with it.

Hole in Time still has that issue we talked about (Creating a fast time plane for games that don’t already have access to one, which is unbelievable powerful even in epic).
    This one, I should see about dealing with. I think the easiest way would just be a note that DMs may choose not to grant the fast time part, with the possible suggestion of making them need to spend time in a fast time plane to gain it for those DMs that want to allow it, but not yet.

The Menacing Manor prestige class has a typo - it doesn’t mention HOW MANY consecutive rounds it takes to set up a building plot.
    Actually, it clearly states 5 are required to set it up. The lack of clarity is with removing it. I think that it was supposed to be two full round actions there. I should make that more clear.

Medicine Maker Wording issues, missing names, etc. Already mentioned this two posts ago, just keeping the list complete.
    Right, I think I forgot to come up with names for everything (suggestions there are welcome). As for the wording, I'm not entirely sure how to improve that.

Devour: So, what is your opinion on the new contains-round-by-round-healing version?
    I need to look into the grapple rules a bit more, but I'm thinking I'll at least add a modified version of your suggestion as either an alternate version or the main version, while the current version will then either remain the main version or become the alternate version for those who prefer it and don't mind the slightly more obscure wording.

That said the devour change will need to wait till I finish the current class I'm working on which is for the PRC contest, and possibly for my base class entry contest which will be following.

Living blood looks better now. I'll look into trying to add it to the feat list with proper credit sometime this weekend or upcoming week. Hopefully the PRC contest class will similarly be up within this time frame.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

Why is positive energy damaging? Positive energy HEALS everyone else!

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Why is positive energy damaging? Positive energy HEALS everyone else!
    Well, as mentioned, nothing in RAW actually defines positive energy as healing unless otherwise stated. That said, almost all RAW cases of positive energy are in the situation of healing, though it should be noted they explicitly state they are healing. If you are looking for a fluff reason, you could say it is overly concentrated, not properly focused, warped by the nature of the ozodrin, etc. as best fits the character and setting.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

Except, you know, the one situation within the universe where "Positive Energy = Bad" is when you've got too much of it which results in you exploding.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

I approve of any way to deal damage with positive energy. It's way too uncommon.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Woah. Just stumbled on all this since it just jumped to the front page today.

This gives me a lot of ideas about crazy places I could go with my future projects/current project (link in sig). And this class looks like a great villain for my homebrew who also uses no armor/weapons to face. Especially since one of the paths the heavenly weapon monk can take lets him distort his form to double his reach and gain various grappling bonuses. And very especially since my monk is fueled by positive energy.

Aberration/Cosmic Horror vs. Construct/Outsider(good)

Because these two on the same team would be beyond broken. That'd be like Alucard and
    Spoiler
    Show
    post-Thorn
    Andersen being buddies.

My contribution to the Cosmic Horror:

Option of growing a scorpion's tail: Essentially an expensive tentacle w/tail augment, ending in a long bone spike with an injector point which can impale and poison (choose a poison for your tail).

Also, I'm thinking to include a mouth augment for losing all that mouth's abilities/advantages in exchange for spinning web (of silken rope strength) at 10ft/ozodrin level where any creature of your size category or below who stumbles into web is caught unless they make a (DC 15 + #strands contacted) Escape Artist check. Prerequisite of with at lest two dedicated climbing limbs. Also allows you to cocoon a helpless or unconscious enemy as a full-round action (when they wake, DC 25 to escape cocoon).

Perhaps a chain of feats for having stronger web-strands. First the strength of chain. Then adamantine chain. Then dimensional lock, anti-magic adamantine chain. Escape Artist DC rising all the while.

Because combining all the worst parts of insects, spiders, snakes, and a giant squid should be a DnD possibility.
    A humble Paladin of my Lady the Red Knight.

My Homebrew: The Weapon of Heaven: 3.5 Monk Made High-Tier

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

I approve only if it has a reversed affect on undead. So if you try to use Harmful Positive Energy on a very well-preserved zombie (because you think it's alive), it would heal it. Same for Beneficial-to-Living-Things Negative Energy, which would hurt undead.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #799
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I approve only if it has a reversed affect on undead. So if you try to use Harmful Positive Energy on a very well-preserved zombie (because you think it's alive), it would heal it. Same for Beneficial-to-Living-Things Negative Energy, which would hurt undead.
    At which point, what's the difference between "Harmful Positive Energy" and "Negative Energy" (and vice versa)

20. - Top - End - #800

I would have the current devour become the alternate: That way the more complicated ability will only be used by players that have carefully read through it, while the new streamlined version will be the one players automatically run into when trying the class out.

Also, pretty much all of the alternate class features add complication to parts of the Ozodrin class so having the current devour become the alternate would continue that pattern.

I'm going to think about the energies again.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Pixie in the Playground

i have always wanted something like this. i love it but something that is likely to walk up on a monster and try to eat it alive needs to be better able to take a puntch

22. - Top - End - #802
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oooh, ooh! I had an idea! I thought I'd share it with you. Do with it what you will, of course. It obviously needs polishing, since I'm not extremely familiar with the ozodrin yet, but the concepts are there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thick Integument: Cost - 2
    Appearance: The skin and flesh of a specific area of your body is particularly thick, akin to the hide of a large animal.
    Required Level: 1
    Benefits: An area of your body that occupies a square gains a +1 natural bonus to armor class. This bonus stacks with other natural bonuses to armor class. You can apply Thick Integument and its augments to yourself, and any tentacle, limb, fin or flesh feature you possess, but each time you apply it, it is applied to only one of those options.
    Special: If you have the Aberrant feat Bestial Hide, you may choose to exchange any number of the +1 natural armor bonuses

from it for 3 form points each.

Scaled Integument: Additional cost 2
    Integument with this augment grants a +1 bonus to tumble and swim checks and provides fire resistance 5. These bonuses stack with any other bonuses and fire resistance, including other applications of scaled integument. This augment may be added to the same integument several times. If the scaled integument absorbs fire damage equal to 5 points per application, it loses that ability until the end of the round and becomes extremely painful for the ozodrin, instead imposing an attack penalty of -1 per 5 points of fire damage absorbed, to any attack made with the feature, including weapons it may wield, for the remainder of the round.

Feathered Integument: Additional cost 2
    Integument with this augment grants a +1 bonus to balance and jump checks and provides cold resistance 5. These bonuses stack with any other bonuses to balance and jump checks, and to fire resistance, including other applications of feathered integument. This augment may be added to the same integument several times. If the feathered integument absorbs cold damage equal to 5 points per application, it loses that ability until the end of the round and becomes very brittle and stiff, instead imposing an armor class penalty of -1 per 5 points of cold damage absorbed, against any attack made to the area of the feature, for the remainder of the round.

Shelled Integument: Additional cost 3
    Integument with this augment is covered by a thick, horn-like shell, which provides excellent protection against attacks, but also limits the ozodrin's mobility. Integument with this augment provides a +2 armor bonus to armor class, but reduces the ozodrin's effective Dexterity by 1 (or the Dexterity of the feature that possesses its own square). The penalty from this effect is not ability damage or drain, and therefore cannot be overcome by effects that heal or restore ability damage or drain.

Brain-like Integument: Additional cost 8
    Requires level something: Integument with this augment has the squishy, crenellated appearance of a humanoid creature's brain, which spans the size and shape of the entire feature the integument is applied to. Creatures striking or touching the brain integument with a natural or manufactured melee or reach weapon must succeed on a Will save or be dazed for 1 round, as their own neurologies are overcome by alien ideas communicated by the integument at the time of contact. This is an extraordinary mind-affecting ability.

Plated Integument: Additional cost 6
    Requires level something: Integument with this augment is covered in bony plates akin to those of some dinosaurs. It provides the integument it is applied to with a +3 natural bonus to armor class, and damage reduction 5/-. However, this bony plating also imposes a -5 penalty to the base land, swim and fly speeds of the ozodrin, due to its cumbersome nature.

Toothy Integument: Additional cost 5
    Requires level something: Integument with this augment is covered in dozens of tiny, extremely hard and pointy teeth. Any creature that strikes an area with integument with this augment with a natural weapon suffers 1d4 points of piercing damage. Any manufactured weapon which strikes an area with integument with this augment suffers 1d4 points of damage which overcomes any amount of hardness and is not halved as a result of damaging an object.

Churning Integument
    Bonus to escape artist checks; absorbs 5 acid damage, but then becomes sludge-like and imposes penalty on saves

Crystalline Integument
    Bonus to listen and perform checks; absorbs 5 sonic damage, but then causes a singing sensation in the ozodrin's bones (whether she has them or not) and imposes deafness.

Plasmic Integument
    The ozodrin's body or feature can flow through much smaller spaces than normal; absorbs 5 electricity damage, but then becomes overwhelmed and imposes blindness.

Poetic Integument
    Integument with this augment is composed of dozens to hundreds or even thousands of lines of thin, flowing and swirling text, arranged into the poetry of the Far Realm.
    Creatures striking the poetic integument must succeed on a Will save or be fascinated for 1 round.

Dual Integument: Additional cost 5 points
    The integument has all of the effects and is a combination of two other different integument features.

Swirling Darkness Integument
    Bonus to hide and move silently checks; creatures and weapons striking the integument may become entangled in it

Vaporous Integument
    The area of the integument is treated as if under the effect of a gaseous form spell, except that it is still firmly connected to any part of the body or feature that is not vaporous; provides a miss chance against attacks

I will add detail to the Integuments following Toothy at a later time, but as of this moment I am far too tired to be more descriptive.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drammor View Post
    Oooh, ooh! I had an idea! I thought I'd share it with you. Do with it what you will, of course. It obviously needs polishing, since I'm not extremely familiar with the ozodrin yet, but the concepts are there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thick Integument: Cost - 2
    Appearance: The skin and flesh of a specific area of your body is particularly thick, akin to the hide of a large animal.
    Required Level: 1
    Benefits: An area of your body that occupies a square gains a +1 natural bonus to armor class. This bonus stacks with other natural bonuses to armor class. You can apply Thick Integument and its augments to yourself, and any tentacle, limb, fin or flesh feature you possess, but each time you apply it, it is applied to only one of those options.
    Special: If you have the Aberrant feat Bestial Hide, you may choose to exchange any number of the +1 natural armor bonuses

from it for 3 form points each.

Scaled Integument: Additional cost 2
    Integument with this augment grants a +1 bonus to tumble and swim checks and provides fire resistance 5. These bonuses stack with any other bonuses and fire resistance, including other applications of scaled integument. This augment may be added to the same integument several times. If the scaled integument absorbs fire damage equal to 5 points per application, it loses that ability until the end of the round and becomes extremely painful for the ozodrin, instead imposing an attack penalty of -1 per 5 points of fire damage absorbed, to any attack made with the feature, including weapons it may wield, for the remainder of the round.

Feathered Integument: Additional cost 2
    Integument with this augment grants a +1 bonus to balance and jump checks and provides cold resistance 5. These bonuses stack with any other bonuses to balance and jump checks, and to fire resistance, including other applications of feathered integument. This augment may be added to the same integument several times. If the feathered integument absorbs cold damage equal to 5 points per application, it loses that ability until the end of the round and becomes very brittle and stiff, instead imposing an armor class penalty of -1 per 5 points of cold damage absorbed, against any attack made to the area of the feature, for the remainder of the round.

Shelled Integument: Additional cost 3
    Integument with this augment is covered by a thick, horn-like shell, which provides excellent protection against attacks, but also limits the ozodrin's mobility. Integument with this augment provides a +2 armor bonus to armor class, but reduces the ozodrin's effective Dexterity by 1 (or the Dexterity of the feature that possesses its own square). The penalty from this effect is not ability damage or drain, and therefore cannot be overcome by effects that heal or restore ability damage or drain.

Brain-like Integument: Additional cost 8
    Requires level something: Integument with this augment has the squishy, crenellated appearance of a humanoid creature's brain, which spans the size and shape of the entire feature the integument is applied to. Creatures striking or touching the brain integument with a natural or manufactured melee or reach weapon must succeed on a Will save or be dazed for 1 round, as their own neurologies are overcome by alien ideas communicated by the integument at the time of contact. This is an extraordinary mind-affecting ability.

Plated Integument: Additional cost 6
    Requires level something: Integument with this augment is covered in bony plates akin to those of some dinosaurs. It provides the integument it is applied to with a +3 natural bonus to armor class, and damage reduction 5/-. However, this bony plating also imposes a -5 penalty to the base land, swim and fly speeds of the ozodrin, due to its cumbersome nature.

Toothy Integument: Additional cost 5
    Requires level something: Integument with this augment is covered in dozens of tiny, extremely hard and pointy teeth. Any creature that strikes an area with integument with this augment with a natural weapon suffers 1d4 points of piercing damage. Any manufactured weapon which strikes an area with integument with this augment suffers 1d4 points of damage which overcomes any amount of hardness and is not halved as a result of damaging an object.

Churning Integument
    Bonus to escape artist checks; absorbs 5 acid damage, but then becomes sludge-like and imposes penalty on saves

Crystalline Integument
    Bonus to listen and perform checks; absorbs 5 sonic damage, but then causes a singing sensation in the ozodrin's bones (whether she has them or not) and imposes deafness.

Plasmic Integument
    The ozodrin's body or feature can flow through much smaller spaces than normal; absorbs 5 electricity damage, but then becomes overwhelmed and imposes blindness.

Poetic Integument
    Integument with this augment is composed of dozens to hundreds or even thousands of lines of thin, flowing and swirling text, arranged into the poetry of the Far Realm.
    Creatures striking the poetic integument must succeed on a Will save or be fascinated for 1 round.

Dual Integument: Additional cost 5 points
    The integument has all of the effects and is a combination of two other different integument features.

Swirling Darkness Integument
    Bonus to hide and move silently checks; creatures and weapons striking the integument may become entangled in it

Vaporous Integument
    The area of the integument is treated as if under the effect of a gaseous form spell, except that it is still firmly connected to any part of the body or feature that is not vaporous; provides a miss chance against attacks

I will add detail to the Integuments following Toothy at a later time, but as of this moment I am far too tired to be more descriptive.
    Seeing how this would be the second set of universal augments (the first is Shifting), it would actually be appropriate as it's own feat. Maybe something like this:

Exotic Formed Features:
    You have learned to make features out of unconventional substances, in addition to merely excreting them.
    Prerequisites:Aberration Blood, Strange Energies
    You gain access to all the following augments:
    [stuff]

On a related note, you should have some formatting/logic errors. If you want those to have Thick Integument as a prerequisite, it should be listed listed under Cost like this:

AugmentX
    :Additional CostZ
    Requires AugmentY: Sentence or two explaining what a feature of this sort generally looks like and does (fluff). A couple of sentences worth of crunch, the mechanics of the augment.

You need to list a DC for the saves, and you should list that most of them are mutually exlusive with others, but not with themselves (because by raw, Dual Integument doesn't do anything, since nothing stops you from stacking multiple integuments onto a feature anyway.).

24. - Top - End - #804
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Seeing how this would be the second set of universal augments (the first is Shifting), it would actually be appropriate as it's own feat. Maybe something like this:

Exotic Formed Features:
    You have learned to make features out of unconventional substances, in addition to merely excreting them.
    Prerequisites:Aberration Blood, Strange Energies
    You gain access to all the following augments:
    [stuff]

On a related note, you should have some formatting/logic errors. If you want those to have Thick Integument as a prerequisite, it should be listed listed under Cost like this:

AugmentX
    :Additional CostZ
    Requires AugmentY: Sentence or two explaining what a feature of this sort generally looks like and does (fluff). A couple of sentences worth of crunch, the mechanics of the augment.
    I know I had multiple errors in the information itself, but I was primarily attempting to communicate the concepts of each item, there. I just knew that since there are several people much better at dealing with this class's features (no pun intended), I would only need to provide the fluff and a little bit of crunch before someone much better equipped to handle these ideas would (probably) grab a hold of it.

You need to list a DC for the saves, and you should list that most of them are mutually exlusive with others, but not with themselves (because by raw, Dual Integument doesn't do anything, since nothing stops you from stacking multiple integuments onto a feature anyway.).
    "...are mutually exlusive with others, but not with themselves"
    Er, come again? I'm sorry, but there's something that I'm not quite wrapping my head around.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

"...are mutually exlusive with others, but not with themselves"
    Er, come again? I'm sorry, but there's something that I'm not quite wrapping my head around.
    Include some language similar to what you see with special eyes, and add "You can add this augment to a feature multiple times, it's effect stacks." I assume this is logical because you say something about "Per application", but have the Dual Integument, implying that they usually can't be applied with each other. I noticed while rereading that you do have some language towards this effect, but it's not exactly airtight (that would be, you have a part that says you can apply the augment multiple times for some of the augments, but never state any of those have mutual exclusivity, and by RAW they don't stack, they overlap) .

26. - Top - End - #806
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, I think I see what you mean.

Ultimately, what I wanted to say is that Thickened Integument is a feature that can be applied to the body of the ozodrin, and to any of their tentacles, fins, limbs or flesh features, but that each such feature can have only one Thick Integument feature on it, and additionally, that any given Thick Integument itself can have only one type of augment on itself at a time. (And that Dual Integument is composed of any combination of two of the other augments...) It's meta like that.

What's the best way to say that?

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, a handful of things to reply to since my last post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kail_Traeganni View Post
    Option of growing a scorpion's tail: Essentially an expensive tentacle w/tail augment, ending in a long bone spike with an injector point which can impale and poison (choose a poison for your tail).
    As you just noted, this can already be done with a combination of a few features and augments. The flavour of how you present said combination is up to the player (and possibly the DM). As such it doesn't really need its own augment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kail_Traeganni View Post
    Also, I'm thinking to include a mouth augment for losing all that mouth's abilities/advantages in exchange for spinning web (of silken rope strength) at 10ft/ozodrin level where any creature of your size category or below who stumbles into web is caught unless they make a (DC 15 + #strands contacted) Escape Artist check. Prerequisite of with at lest two dedicated climbing limbs. Also allows you to cocoon a helpless or unconscious enemy as a full-round action (when they wake, DC 25 to escape cocoon).

Perhaps a chain of feats for having stronger web-strands. First the strength of chain. Then adamantine chain. Then dimensional lock, anti-magic adamantine chain. Escape Artist DC rising all the while.

Because combining all the worst parts of insects, spiders, snakes, and a giant squid should be a DnD possibility.
    While I can't think of any current ability for the ozodrin to produce spider silk or similar, a few pages back Hanuman proposed web related features/augments including a possible cocoon feature that might fit as a feat or PRC.

As for combining the worst parts of those animals, as it is I think webs are the only abiliteis of the listed animals an ozodrin can't emulate.

I would have the current devour become the alternate: That way the more complicated ability will only be used by players that have carefully read through it, while the new streamlined version will be the one players automatically run into when trying the class out.

Also, pretty much all of the alternate class features add complication to parts of the Ozodrin class so having the current devour become the alternate would continue that pattern.
    That was my general thinking on it as well. Particularly as the proposed version is also shorter text wise, and the first post is almost at the character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by lefuthezombie View Post
    i have always wanted something like this. i love it but something that is likely to walk up on a monster and try to eat it alive needs to be better able to take a puntch
    Glad you like the class. As for your better able to take a punch complaint, I'll note that while ozodrin don't have the best hit dice, they do have an easy way to boost their AC, a later way to boost it that may also add DR or energy resistance, chances to negate criticals and other precision damage, and even a way to just cause attacks against them to have a miss chance. That also overlooks the likelihood that the ozodrin will be using aberrant feats in abundance, and the existence of one to boost hp by an amount scaling with aberrant feats taken, and ones to grant AC (and that's only looking at the official ones). All said, you can be assured there are plenty of ways for an ozodrin to deal with punches.

While I like some of the ideas in general, and certain augments may be worth implementing in the form of feats or similar, I feel that the Integument feature suffers from almost completely overlapping other features and being somewhat more complicated in its execution of doing so. Mostly, it overlaps the flesh feature and its augments, which already allow for improved natural armour, energy resistances, and DR without the limits of stacking with other flesh augments or possible penalties. As for the toothy augment, that may mostly me accomplished with spikes, while the Vaporous augment may be emulated with the Flowing Shape mouth augment. That said, some of the more unique augments may well fit as universal ones like shifting granted by a feat, as suggested by Necroticplague.

In other news, my entry in the current PRC contest is of a similar theme to the ozodrin and may interest those who have an interest in this class as a result. It is in need of feedback, so I would appreciate any critiques on it.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

28. - Top - End - #808
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    While I like some of the ideas in general, and certain augments may be worth implementing in the form of feats or similar, I feel that the Integument feature suffers from almost completely overlapping other features and being somewhat more complicated in its execution of doing so. Mostly, it overlaps the flesh feature and its augments, which already allow for improved natural armour, energy resistances, and DR without the limits of stacking with other flesh augments or possible penalties. As for the toothy augment, that may mostly me accomplished with spikes, while the Vaporous augment may be emulated with the Flowing Shape mouth augment. That said, some of the more unique augments may well fit as universal ones like shifting granted by a feat, as suggested by Necroticplague.
    Well, okay then. I'll retool the idea and see if I can make it more fitting for the existent material.

It looks as though the brain-like (how did I forget that cerebral is a word?), plasmic, poetic and swirling darkness augments are still good though, right? For the most part, I mean.
    Last edited by Ammutseba; 2012-02-08 at 03:16 AM.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, okay then. I'll retool the idea and see if I can make it more fitting for the existent material.

It looks as though the brain-like (how did I forget that cerebral is a word?), plasmic, poetic and swirling darkness augments are still good though, right? For the most part, I mean.
    Well, the plasmic one is rather like condensed flesh. The others you listed though are rather more unique, and seem interesting. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

30. - Top - End - #810
    Dwarf in the Playground

I, uh... hmm. Three is significantly less to work with than four, for terms of ideas. I'll see what I can do, though. I'll definitely have to familiarize myself with the class more.

Hey, uh... if your charisma mod is large enough, wouldn't you be able to take Blossoming Tendril and Ornate Blossom, and use them to extend a budding tentacle from another budding tentacle which extends from another budding tentacle, and so on? And in so doing, essentially use a cheaper form of long tentacle that doesn't accrue an attack penalty?