New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XI

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    Starting large size is difficult, especially if its also going to be a gnome.
    If you want to eat some LA and some Fey HD, you could always be a Spriggan from the MM3, I believe. Gnomes that grow to Large size at will, essentially. They're a nifty race, to boot.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The scores are in, and while there are some disputes that I will post later, none of them could alter 1st or 2nd place. So without further ado...

In first, with a score of 69.5...
    OMG PONIES' Dulcinea, the Dancer's Daughter

In second, with a score of 67.75...
    Rancor1's Jack the Dread Capuchin

The rest of the scores, as they currently stand,
    • Draz74's Sizok, Sworn of Clan Dinglegrinn 62
    • Kestral404's Ssejkosjth "Seth" Tibur Hedwann Ux Bahamuti 58.25
    • Amphetryon's Moudo, the Twisted Gnome 57.75
    • true_shinken's Nekoya 57.25
    • OMG PONIES' Jakob the Liar 55.75
    • The Vorpal Tribble's Wruk Vive the IX 52.75
    • Malbordeus' Raakhama’karma The Wanderer 32.5

Congratulations to all the contestants, and thanks to all the judges.

I'll get in contact with Strategos to finalize the trophies. The proofs looked, as usual, amazing.
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-24 at 03:30 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #303
    Banned

Revealing the builds' creators before dealing with judging disagreements? Makes the whole 'send a PM to the chairman' thing kinda pointless.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmmm, well, I guess I can't complain too much about 3rd place ... especially when the two winners were so indisputably superb. Congrats to Rancor1, a relative newcomer, and repeating champion OMGPonies!

For what it's worth, I also think Wruk was rather tragically thrashed by some of the judges. Were I a judge, I would not have hesitated to throw a score of 5 at Wruk in the Originality and Power categories immediately. (The other two scores might have been pretty low, but still.)
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

5. - Top - End - #305

NecromancerGuy

Congrats to the winners!

I'm already fired up for the next one.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #306

Thank you, thank you. I, too, thought that Wruk was scored way too low in some regards. When I first read the entries, I was convinced he was going to snag the gold. A class I had never used, a template I had never heard of, and a ridiculous trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

7. - Top - End - #307

GnomeWizardGuy

Notes on Disputes

The next post will contain outstanding scoring disputes. Though none of these will effect who wins or places, I though it would be nice to get them resolved.

But first, some notes. While in many cases over the history of the competition I have found aspects of a judge's scoring methodology that I don't agree with personally, we've traditionally given wide berth to judges in this competition. I'm not going to change that. One of our goals is to encourage judges with varied outlooks on the game.

In deciding which disputes to present, I had to put aside quite a few this round. For brief reference:

Not Even a Dispute
    • Math Errors

Valid Disputes
    • Rules Error (If I can resolve it definitively one way or another, I will. These will be handled immediately rather than with other disputes)
    • You believe that the judge overlooked a specific element of your build
    • You believe that the judge misunderstood the purpose, function, or scope of a specific element of your build
    • There is an element in the judge's posted criteria (if they have one) that you believe you qualify for but which was not applied
    • Another entry was scored differently for the exact same thing. Note the word exact. If there is a difference (even if you don't feel it was substantive), I'm not going to present it. A good example would be if everyone else were scored down 1 point for using Stoneblessed and you were scored down 1.5.

Not a Valid Dispute
    • Points Awarded or Deducted for elements not listed in a Judge's posted criteria
    • Disagreements over the Judge's scoring methodology or judgment
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-27 at 02:19 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308

GnomeWizardGuy

Kesnit
    Spoiler
    Show

Wruk
    Spoiler
    Show
    3.5 Use of Compression to take advantage of Size Advantage. (-.5) Use of the organization and building around it. (+1)
    Compression is an afterthought. I mentioned in the text itself that I know it's been used in builds with the PrC, but, in the course of the build I have access to it. It aided the build, so I used it, without it being required or a key factor. Psychic Warrior was not taken for that single power, but for the access to psionic feats and skills that enhance the collective build as a whole.

Keld Denar
    Spoiler
    Show

Dulcinea (rules error-- had I seen this one sooner, I would have posted it immediately)
    Spoiler
    Show

Dulcinea's ring is not a custom ring of reduce person, but a ring of reduction (a specific magic item found on page 120 of Lords of Madness.)

Jakob
    Spoiler
    Show

Jakob's main source of power points is bonus PP from his high INT, both of which scale with level. I'm sorry I forgot to mention this.
    Jakob (Elegance): A few things...
    • Why must someone be a drow to take the ACF in Drow of the Underdark? There is no mention of that in the book.
    • While the level progression provided may have MC penalties, the build itself was designed not to. If playing with MC penalties, the progression should be Lurk 2/Swash 2/Stoneblessed 3/Blade Bravo 5/Assassin 1/Factotum 2/Drow Fighter 2/Lurk +1/Swash +1/Factotum +1. Ironically, the reason it was presented without considering multiclassing was in hopes of a higher elegance score.
    • Jakob has three main reasons for taking factotum: an extra use of Insightful Feint per day (via Arcane Dilettante), Brains over Brawn for stealth skills, and cunning knowledge for skill boosts. I'm sorry for not explaining further.
    • Jakob's two other psionic powers are mentioned (briefly) in the Stealth section: he uses compression, Chameleon, and Adrenaline Boost.

Sizok
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sizok
    Power: 4, a tough nut to crack. Super high AC makes her hard to handle, and Goad makes her tough to ignore, and Dim Hop makes her impossible to lock down. All in all, a great tank. I do see only one rank in UMD, and mention of using Wands of Grave/Golem Strike as a primary combat option, which is kinda…huh?
    UMD isn't an automatic success for Sizok, but at high levels, it's pretty close. Extreme Charisma focus and a Circlet of Persuasion mean she ends up with UMD +16, which will activate a wand on a roll of 4 or higher. And if the roll fails, it means she'll be less effective for a round, but not completely worthless -- it was just a swift action, so she can still attack, just without Craven bonuses.

Nekoya
    Spoiler
    Show
    [The contestant believes the judge misunderstood] the point of eldritch glaive in the build. It's not meant to be a full damage source; it's meant to force multiple saves against blindness, thus making all her attacks sneak attacks.

Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-24 at 04:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Revealing the builds' creators before dealing with judging disagreements? Makes the whole 'send a PM to the chairman' thing kinda pointless.
    I did consider that, but there aren't any disputes* that are particularly provocative. And since they won't effect the winners^, I decided that with all the delays already this round, it was important to keep the ball rolling. It was an active decision to make a break from what would otherwise be competition policy. It also helps that several of the disputes came from people other than the creator of the build.

Incidentally, if anyone has suggestions for the next special ingredient, send it to me. I'll have the next round posted tomorrow either way.

*That I'll be posting anyways.
    ^Well, one might make the 1st place score go up.
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-24 at 04:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #310

Tomorrow? But I'll be away... [/whine] Regardless, I'm in as a competitor for the next round. I want to see if I can go for the turkey before giving judging a crack.

11. - Top - End - #311

GnomeWizardGuy

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages, I present- courtesy of the illustrious Strategos - the trophies.

Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-24 at 09:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

After hosting the past 5 competitions, it felt weird not seeing the builds or trophy proofs show up in my inbox.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

13. - Top - End - #313
    Bugbear in the Playground

conratulations to OMG Ponies and Rancor1.

I think all competitors deserve credit for the high standard of submissions. It was not easy to judge and even now I am second guessing some of my scoring. Dulcinea deserves the win though.

Thanks to the other judges and to our host Ozymandias.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias9 View Post
    Incidentally, if anyone has suggestions for the next special ingredient, send it to me. I'll have the next round posted tomorrow either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Probably in 5 days at the most. Depending on who hosts. Doesn't take long between the two.
    Oh ya, called it exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by WinWin View Post
    congratulations to OMG Ponies and Rancor1.

I think all competitors deserve credit for the high standard of submissions. It was not easy to judge and even now I am second guessing some of my scoring. Dulcinea deserves the win though.

Thanks to the other judges and to our host Ozymandias.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Wruk was a personal favorite of mine, even if the scores didn't show that.
    I actually made a NPC based off him already >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

I second the notion to bring on that next challenge! And no posting at 5am my time this go around *wink*
    I play bards a LOT in 3/3.5... keep this in mind when I post answers to questions :)

Running the Night Below (old 2nd edition module) adapted to 3.5, heres the journal:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166334 (game now defunct sadly)

Now running, Red hand of Doom in Forgotten Realms
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219147

16. - Top - End - #316

Yeah, has the next ingredient been announced? I haven't seen a thread for XII.

17. - Top - End - #317

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Yeah, has the next ingredient been announced? I haven't seen a thread for XII.
    Methinks it's been delayed by a day. :(
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318

GnomeWizardGuy

Sorry, I got off to a sleepy start this morning. The next challenge is up.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Link is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.