New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning person

1. - Top - End - #1
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Default Morning person

Are you a morning person? There seem to be several types of people in relation to how their day starts.

Are you the type of person whose alarm goes off and wakes up feeling nice and fresh greeting the day ahead?

Or are you the type (like me) who presses snooze about five times before getting up and finally does so upset that the alarm clock ruined your last hour of sleep?
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2011-02-26 at 05:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Morning person

Once I've actually stood up, I'm pretty much ready to go. I have, however, not yet found a way to plug my alarm clock in at a height where I need to stand up.

But I'm still more of a morning person than most people.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I am definitely not a morning person. I need to set my clock radio to start playing about an hour and a half before I need to get up, and I then still have 4 different times set as alarms on my phone.
    That still usually doesn't get me up in the mornings.

I can, however, stay up with no problem until about 2-3am even if I get up relatively early in the morning.

So I'm definitely an evening/night person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Morning? What's that?

Oh, you mean that period of time between me going to bed and 10am? I usually waltz through that period half asleep if it's required for me to be functioning during that time. Depending on how early I have to wake up and what I have to do during that day I either wake up immediately after my alarm clock goes off or wait another 10 minutes. Though then I do go up. My alarm doesn't have a snooze button.

I am not by any means a morning person though. Then again I have weird sleeping problems that make it that I can't fall asleep before 1.30am which makes waking up early a pain for me.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

5. - Top - End - #5

Zombie

Ew, I hate mornings. I have my alarm set on the other side of the room so that I actually have to get up to turn it off, otherwise I'd never get out of bed!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I hit the snooze button once and get up... at four am. I wake up at eight am during weekends. I wake up at nine am, after seven and half beers I had last night.

Yeah. I consider myself a morning person.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

7. - Top - End - #7

My natal time zone is 3 hours ahead of where I'm living, so I can manage mornings, but my brain still needs until at least 9 (here) to wake up. I'm generally at my best late afternoon or evening.
    Melusine-esque Avatar made by the awesome Akrim.elf!
    Genderbender Week Yuan-ti Avatar by Bisected8.

Xe/xyr are my favourite pronouns, so feel free to refer to me as such instead of she/her.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Depends greatly on whether I wake up voluntarily or my alarm clock wakes me up.

Generally, if I manage to wake up before my alarm, even if it's an hour or two before I normally get up, I feel amazing. I get up with a burst of eagerness and energy and have no problem with grogginess throughout the day, even without caffeine or sugar.

And so, conversely, if my alarm wakes me up, I feel like crap until I've taken a shower. And then I continue to feel kinda crappy throughout the entire day. Typically speaking.

To give an example, most Sundays, I go to sleep at about 2am and then have to get up at 6am. If I wake up at 5:59am (which happens more often than one might think) and turn off my alarm, I'm fresh as a daisy all day. If my body makes me wait until 6am for the alarm, I feel like bursting into tears and then stabbing someone to death pretty much until I get to sleep that evening.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if someone else wakes me up in a non-abrasive manner, I'm also peachy-keen all day up to and including using terms like "peachy-keen".
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-02-26 at 07:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh, I am most definitely a morning person.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

of course i'm a morning person. if you consider 12:00 morning
    Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

That depends. I'm pretty great from 12:00 a.m. to about 3:00 a.m. Waking up sucks, so I hate sleeping. Once I'm up on my feet, though, I'm usually okay.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm not a morning person.

However, I can be up at any time during the 24 hour period, and function. I know this because I have done it. Name a hour, and chances are I've either gotten up then or started work then. Given the choice, I would wake up around between 8 and 10 am. (Which is much earlier than when I was in HS.)

Later Days,
    Roukon

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Are you the type of person whose alarm goes off and wakes up feeling nice and fresh greeting the day ahead?
    Oh no. I hate waking up early and not being able to sleep in. Of course I certainly can do so if it's needed for a class or something, but I sure don't like it. I wish I could feel all nice and refreshed early in the morning though.

14. - Top - End - #14

Sure, during the holidays I'm always awake in the morning. Until 6am or so, when I got to bed.

Otherwise...
    Well, normally I get up at six, shower, eat breakfast, go on the bus, and fall asleep again, without ever really waking up in between. Then on the train, and asleep again.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

After I get up, I can pretty much get going. It takes motivation to get me up, though. After a long day's work... I hate everybody, and if you make me mad it's your funeral.
    ____

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I can kind of go either way. I enjoy sleeping in, waking up and going immediately back to sleep etc and then actually getting up at like 1 PM (which I did today and yesterday). But I don't terribly mind getting up early, if I can have a slow warming morning, do some stretching and shower and the like. I have some trouble getting out of bed sometimes, but once I'm out I'm usually up fine.

Also I've been planning on setting up a system of waking myself up and inspiring myself more in mornings via use of epic music. So I'm putting together an epic music soundtrack. Some bits and pieces of the Gurren Lagann soundtrack, Two Steps from Hell, and some Homestuck music...also, the Imperial March.

17. - Top - End - #17

I'm so bad at mornings, I suspect that if I didn't feel guilty about it and didn't have anything to do I could quite literally sleep all day. Seriously.
    It's very, very rare that I'll wake up and actually feel awake enough to easily get up. On the other hand, it's pretty easy for me to stay up until ridiculously late...

For comparison: 1am is an early night for me, and 10am a decent morning. I have to get up at 8.45am on Saturdays for work nowadays, and that's way harder than it ought to be.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I visited Morning once. The scenery can be okay, but the food is awful, and the people are friendly, but a little... weird, ya know?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm weird. On the one hand, I'm a night person through and through, staying up till 3AM normally, waking up at noon or even past it if I don't have to be anywhere and taking a nap during the day. On the other, I have absolutely no trouble waking up and a lot of the time I'm actually up about 5 minutes before my alarm clock is supposed to go off. The payback is that 2 hours AFTER waking up, I'm ready to pass out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Do I count as a morning person if I go to sleep when the morning begins?
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

21. - Top - End - #21
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    I visited Morning once. The scenery can be okay, but the food is awful, and the people are friendly, but a little... weird, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I'm so bad at mornings, I suspect that if I didn't feel guilty about it and didn't have anything to do I could quite literally sleep all day. Seriously.
    It's very, very rare that I'll wake up and actually feel awake enough to easily get up. On the other hand, it's pretty easy for me to stay up until ridiculously late...

For comparison: 1am is an early night for me, and 10am a decent morning. I have to get up at 8.45am on Saturdays for work nowadays, and that's way harder than it ought to be.
    I go to bed that late, usually, and wake up pretty early. About 7 or 8. So yeah... I have trouble with it. And these days it's almost like I'm living on caffeine. I think I may be becoming dependant or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Do I count as a morning person if I go to sleep when the morning begins?

22. - Top - End - #22

I'm absolutely not a morning person. I hate snooze at least twice every day, and I sleep through this entirely until the third alarm goes, or my mom wakes me up. Then, I'm fairly groggy for the rest of the morning, and I don't stop yawning occasonally until 3 ish. By 5 pm, I'm fully alert, and could go all night if I needed.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't be a morning person anymore. I work nights. Morning is my cue for sleepytime after work. Delicious sleepytime.
    Undead rockstars mean eternal afterparties. ^vv^

"Denn die Todten reiten Schnell. (For the dead travel fast)"
    — Bram Stoker (Dracula)

24. - Top - End - #24

I can be a morning person...it depends how much I've slept the night before, how early I get up, and how regular my sleep schedule is.

If I've slept 7-8 hours, I can be a morning person.
    If I get up between about 6.30-7am, I'm a morning person...meaning that if I get up and moving straight away, I've got energy to last me the day, and I feel good.
    If I've been maintaining a 10pm to 7am sleep schedule every night...well, I'm a fantastic morning person. I'm up, and bouncy, and happy, and full of awesomeness.

However, if I've been going to bed at 2-3am...like I have for the past few weeks. Well...mornings definitely don't like me.

I'm undecided...because I love sleeping in as much as I possibly can. But I love how much extra time to get things done that I have when I get up early.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I've trained myself to get out of bed when my alarm clock goes off (on the other side of my room), simply because when I'm due on a 7am start at work, I don't have the option of sleeping through it...

That being said, I do not much like mornings, and if I have an early start after working late the night before, I will spend a good portion of the day half asleep, no matter what I try. Luckily, there's quite a bit I can do relatively well whilst half asleep.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Morning person

I slept in today! Didn't get up till 7:45 AM. (Sadly, not an exaggeration)

The most dangerous thing about becoming a morning person is that sunlight or pretty mush any lightening of the sky will wake you after a while. It's almost like reverse insomnia.
    Last edited by Asthix; 2011-02-27 at 08:58 AM.
    Baby B-day Turtle Avatar by Savannah
    fnord
    Ex-Keeper of The Birthdays (The Birthday Thread)

Official president of the Teevo must die fanclub

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

Usually not. I prefer to sleep away the morning if at all possible. But there will be times when I wake up before my alarm feeling chipper and wanting to get out and do something, so much so that I wake up in the process of climbing out of bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #28

Beholder

If I've had any alcohol the night before, I snap awake - instantly to full wakefulness - at about 5am, regardless of how late it was I went to bed.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

If you wake up naturally, you will feel good. If an alarm wakes you up, you're not going to feel good.

Waking up naturally means that your body is rested, and ready to begin the day. When an alarm wakes you up, you are basically having your sleep interrupted. Early to bed, early to rise. "Morning People" generally go to bed much earlier than non-morning people, with the latter generally staying up into the later hours.

It also depends on what you consider to be the "morning". I get up at 4:50am every day, so for me, the morning is pretty much between 5-7. For others, the "morning" might be 8-10. If you're in the 8-10 group, you have a much higher likelyhood of being a morning person because you probably have gotten a little more sleep, and when the sun is up, the body has an easier time transitioning to a waking state. Of course there are the occasional freaks that love the morning and seem to require virtually no sleep.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

30. - Top - End - #30

I just don't wake up. I'll go to bed at 3am (averagish for me... :/), and then I can easily sleep 'til 1 or 2pm.