New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Portal 2: The Cake Is Still A Lie

I've been stuck at 32% for the last twenty minutes or so
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Likewise. I restarted, since it didn't seem to be going anywhere.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Likewise. I restarted, since it didn't seem to be going anywhere.
    I did that, then it loaded back to 32% and stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Apparently, it does load after 32, it just does not show up, just et it do it until it dissapears or something. Busy servers...
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Got through, played for a bit. It is excellent!

Spoiler
    Show
    Weighted Companion Cube(s) no! Why GLaDOS why?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay I'm cool with this from Team Fortress 2. It has its uses, and it's given the game a longer life.

BUT WE DO NOT NEED MICRO-PAYMENTS IN PORTAL 2

WE DON'T NEED TO DRESS UP THE BOTS

THIS ISN'T SOME BIG TEAM GAME IT'S CO-OP

THIS IS STUPID

AND YOU ARE STUPID FOR MAKING THIS

...single player is fine so fine.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

I'm getting this feeling they've got something planned for this game -- specifically co-op -- they haven't told us about.

But anyway--

I'm going to be done single-player within a day or two, I imagine, but I won't be doing co-op for a while (I think, anyway). I'd love to discuss the finer points of single-player spoilers, but if ALL spoilers are unmarked, I'll have to unsubscribe regardless to hide from co-op spoilers.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2011-04-19 at 03:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler, and possible silly question below:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, Chapter 5. After you get sucked into the vent with Wheatley, after you destroy the Neurotoxin Source, I load to a black screen. I can still move, kinda, and shoot portals (that go nowhere) and I hear an alarm. I wait for a bit and nothing changes. Glitch or am I not waiting long enough?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

*checks recordings*

Spoiler
    Show
    That's odd. No, you should immediately be jutted out of the pipe onto a catwalk when the loading is done. I don't hear an alarm, either.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

And just like that, it's over...

Cue endless speculation.

(could be considered ending spoilers)
    Spoiler
    Show

My prediction: Chelle is going to die from white goo poisoning, the way Cave Johnson did.

Also, did anyone else get a Fallout vibe when opening the entrance to the condemned labs?

11. - Top - End - #101

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sure there were some lines GLaDOS said in the previews/trailers which were clearly directed at Chell, but they didn't happen.
    And a test chamber as well, with spiky crushers and propulsion gel, I remember distinctly.

Also, I want more portal puzzles. IT IS NOT ENOUGH.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

i shall be leaving this thread for a while since erm, i am desperately trying not to open all the spoilers. ill come back when ive actually got and played it some way, have fun.
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

13. - Top - End - #103

Oh yeah, have to say, one issue I had with the ending:

Spoiler
    Show
    The connection between GLaDOS and Caroline was never really explained. GLaDOS was trying to think how she knew Caroline, possibly reached a conclusion, and later she said that thing about hearing the voice of a conscience, which might wel have been connected to Caaroline, but there was no definitive explanation; and then at the end she talked about Caroline being 'in here' and I think there was something about 'being Caroline', as if these were things we should already know about.
    I just would've liked a little bit of explanation. Particularly because actually I found the glimpses of the history of Aperture Science to be one of the most interesting bits of the game.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Oh yeah, have to say, one issue I had with the ending:

Spoiler
    Show
    The connection between GLaDOS and Caroline was never really explained. GLaDOS was trying to think how she knew Caroline, possibly reached a conclusion, and later she said that thing about hearing the voice of a conscience, which might wel have been connected to Caaroline, but there was no definitive explanation; and then at the end she talked about Caroline being 'in here' and I think there was something about 'being Caroline', as if these were things we should already know about.
    I just would've liked a little bit of explanation. Particularly because actually I found the glimpses of the history of Aperture Science to be one of the most interesting bits of the game.
    Spoiler
    Show

To me the whole thing seemed pretty straightforward. GLaDOS is Caroline, or at least was at the very beginning. Recall one of the last of Johnson's messages, where he talks about going into AI research and the potential for transfering human consciousness into the machine, and explicitly demands that, even though he won't survive until the technology is developed, his colleagues should perform the procedure on Caroline, whether she wants to or not.

Plus, the earlier instance, where GLaDOS almost unwittingly repeats " Yes sir, Mr Johnson" after Caroline from the recording is kinda a dead giveaway, I feel.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

To me the whole thing seemed pretty straightforward. GLaDOS is Caroline, or at least was at the very beginning. Recall one of the last of Johnson's messages, where he talks about going into AI research and the potential for transfering human consciousness into the machine, and explicitly demands that, even though he won't survive until the technology is developed, his colleagues should perform the procedure on Caroline, whether she wants to or not.

Plus, the earlier instance, where GLaDOS almost unwittingly repeats " Yes sir, Mr Johnson" after Caroline from the recording is kinda a dead giveaway, I feel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, but it still would've been nice to have that confirmed.
    In particular, we never had any indication GLaDOS had realised that. It would've takenmaybe two or three extra lines of dialogue. And it would've been perfectly in character for GLaDOS to assume Chell lacked the intelligence to figure it out.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

So the singleplayer was, in my opinion, a little weak at the start but got better in the middle. The store for co-op irritated me, perhaps irrationally.

Spoiler Time!
    Spoiler
    Show
    By far, my favourite part was retro Aperture science, in both the level design and the style. And it had lots of Cave Johnson. Which was good.

I would have liked more information Caroline/GLaDOS thing: it seemed to end a little prematurely.

Those two-headed turret cube crab things are adorable!
    Lastly, maybe I'm clutching at straws, but the bit where GLaDOS murders the door mainframe seemed like a reference to Durandal of Marathon fame.

17. - Top - End - #107

Kobold

Man, the whole game is spoilers.

Also, GOTY for sure.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, but it still would've been nice to have that confirmed.
    In particular, we never had any indication GLaDOS had realised that. It would've takenmaybe two or three extra lines of dialogue. And it would've been perfectly in character for GLaDOS to assume Chell lacked the intelligence to figure it out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, she does realize it and stops talking midway, then abruptly encourages you to go do the test.
    Last edited by Bayar; 2011-04-19 at 10:51 AM.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Played through the single-player, currently doing a commentary runthrough.

Very, very fun game, very exciting, and it left me scratching my head sometimes. Lots of laughs, surprises and twists. Probably the most fun with a single player game that I've had in ages.

However, a few gripes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Why did they remove the "Last portal fired" dot on the reticle? That was super handy. Definitely more useful than the portal location shader effect. I don't exactly look around to try and find where portals are in the middle of a fling.

Also, the grab physics feel super clunky. You can no longer "throw" objects, and any objects you do pick up are just sloppy to move.

The movement controls on irregular surfaces also feel sloppy at times. I don't know how many times I fell into a pit of acid or a bottomless pit because the controls were too sloppy to have fine control.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I may have had hopes to high for portal 2. It was still a good game and all, but I dont think it was as good as the first one and definatly not valves magnum opus as someone suggested a while ago.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course, the ending... Just the ending. Had me laughing out loud throughout the boss fight - I loved the adventurer core. I also did one of those little joyful squeels that you pray no one is around to here in the last 2 seconds of the game. You all know why.
    Thank Saturn for this avatar!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm in space!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Just beat the single player. If I could have verbalized what I wanted out of Portal 2, this would have been it.
    Steam Profile:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197985676498

Feel free to add me.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

The spoiler temptation is getting really annoying, especially since I'm not going to be able to play the game until the end of May.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

...You're not going to find much discussion to participate in, now that the game's out.

This is going to officially become a spoiler thread in a few days, where no spoiler boxes need be used, soooo...

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, just beat it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Was nice of the game to make it up to Phase for being released on Passover.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm fairly glad I didn't get it yet actually. It doesn't seem like anyone at all took longer then 24 hours to beat it. The game had to be short, way too short to justify the price tag.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I'm fairly glad I didn't get it yet actually. It doesn't seem like anyone at all took longer then 24 hours to beat it. The game had to be short, way too short to justify the price tag.
    I managed it in 5 hours. Didn't find a lot of extras, and I'm pretty good with puzzles so I sped through a lot of it.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    It is very short, but it's also completely fantastic, so I don't regret buying it one bit. And I say this as someone who often buys 50+ hour RPGs and generally enjoys longer games. One of my top favorite games at this point, and I haven't even touched the coop yet.
    Last edited by Sir_Hobbit; 2011-04-19 at 10:17 PM.
    "Tele-"

"-port"

28. - Top - End - #118

I played it in 8 hours, and I view it worth every penny spent, and I haven't even done the co-op mode.

One of the things to note is that the reason the original Portal was such a gem was because it didn't adhere to the whole "game time = quality". It was just stellar writing, level design and gameplay. Portal 2 does give you more content overall, but it still holds up to (mostly) the same standards.

A few comments, in no particular order:
    • Funnier than the first. I was laughing out loud through many parts, especially at the conclusion of the first arc.
    • There's so much effort in the details that it's mindboggling. One article I read pointed out that there was a full fledged animation for the turrets being built piece by piece on one of the assembly lines, in a place most players wouldn't even look. Days worth of effort for an incidental background detail. One thing I loved was how there's tons and tons of dialogue for some of the characters which, again, most people wouldn't even chance across. (One character in particular has like, 10+ lines of dialogue if you idle or take too long in a given area.)
    • The level design isn't quite as good in some respects. The levels themselves are beautiful, but one area in particular (about two thirds of the way through the game) made me rather frustrated with how narrow it was and how unintuitive it was to make progress. Spoiler below, for what I'm talking about:
      Spoiler
      Show
      Long of it short, you're supposed to ascend the interior of a pipe/duct which doesn't take to portals. What you're supposed to do, from what I gathered, is use portals to splash the inside with the white goo, which makes it portal-accessible. Trouble is, very little in the pipe actually has the goo stick to it, angles are bad, and since you're using goo to make room for portals to vent in more goo, it's just really slow and really clumsy. To top it all off, the pipe angles at one point, and it's very disorienting because there's no good indicator of 'up' until you find yourself sliding down the pipe (and chances are, losing a goodly amount of progress in the process)
    • Further, while it's understandable, there's a lot of areas that are really expansive, but where you're (fairly needlessly) restrained by chest high railings you can't jump over. Said fences also get in the way fairly often when you ~are~ free to explore, too. It makes you very conscious of how linear the game is.
    • It's really funny.
    • The game feels, at times, like it's trying too hard to push a new 'companion cube' or 'the cake is a lie' meme. Nothing explicit, but I generally got that impression.
    • The writing is top notch.
    • The gameplay is great, barring that one slow bit I mentioned maybe 2/3rds of the way through (the area leading up to it and the area immediately after are kinda slowish, so it's just one stretch where you spend maybe 30-45 minutes). It's fluid, intuitive, there's almost none of that annoying "hit a panel while you're falling 50 miles an hour through a floor-ceiling portal loop."
    • There's several moments of sheer awesome. I don't want to give these away by chance, so here they are, spoilered. Ye have been warned:
      Spoiler
      Show
      • The return of GLaDOS.
      • "How are you doing? That's nice. I'm a potato."
      • Running through the complex while it's being redesigned/deathtrapped around you.
      • Blue-gooing some 10-15 turrets and watching the chaos.
      • The final portal shot. If you've played, you know the one I mean.

• The characters are all great.
    • The game does reveal some more history/backstory in some areas, which may be a plus, may be a minus, depending on your tastes.
    • The number of characters (that is, more than you, GLaDOS and some turrets) does take away somewhat from the 'Beautiful Void' nature of the first game, but the game makes up for this, IMHO, in what it does atmospherically and environmentally. The characters are well done enough that I didn't resent their inclusion.
    • The ending song didn't really hit the right note for me, personally. There's apparently two 'hidden' songs, though, so one of them might be on par with "Still Alive" (I've heard good things).
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-04-19 at 11:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Long of it short, you're supposed to ascend the interior of a pipe/duct which doesn't take to portals. What you're supposed to do, from what I gathered, is use portals to splash the inside with the white goo, which makes it portal-accessible. Trouble is, very little in the pipe actually has the goo stick to it, angles are bad, and since you're using goo to make room for portals to vent in more goo, it's just really slow and really clumsy. To top it all off, the pipe angles at one point, and it's very disorienting because there's no good indicator of 'up' until you find yourself sliding down the pipe (and chances are, losing a goodly amount of progress in the process)
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you get the goo in through the air duct, it'll travel through the ventilation and cover the entire pipe without you having to do much at all. I didn't know that would happen, but the one place you can put a portal pre-paint sends the paint right into that duct. I guess that didn't happen for you.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you get the goo in through the air duct, it'll travel through the ventilation and cover the entire pipe without you having to do much at all. I didn't know that would happen, but the one place you can put a portal pre-paint sends the paint right into that duct. I guess that didn't happen for you.
    I tried and tried and couldn't find a way to pull that off, even going pixel by pixel while zoomed in. So I just made very painstaking progress.

The area leading up to it wasn't scintillating, either (and was the only point in the game I was able to pull myself away to go find food and such without feeling pained).

Even with the criticisms I mentioned, though, I still rate Portal 2 as one of my favorite games of all time. Top 10 definitely. Maybe not top 5.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-04-19 at 11:10 PM.