New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

I had a spare 10 points. I was that or a melta bomb for one sorcerer and I think the bolters are just about as useful. Pointsfiller basically.

Also, I went with sorcerers since my scratch built daemon princes are currently half-done and lack wings. Haven't found proper 65 mm bases for them either. The stores only have 60mm...

Also, I'm not 100% sure I can fit the two princes just by cutting 3 plaguemarines and the bolters.
    Last edited by Penguinizer; 2011-10-21 at 08:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    via Yakface

NECRON ARMY-WIDE SPECIAL RULES

• We'll Be Back from the previous codex has been replaced by Reanimation Protocols (sorry I keep accidentally calling it Resurrection Protocols in some of these teasers). It now works at the end of each phase, but only on a 5+. You now remove models and place a token or marker next to the unit to remind you how many rolls to make (although you could just use the downed models as markers, but the important thing is you know that these markers don't affect gameplay at all).
    The rules are very clear about when/how models that return to play via RP are placed and if the entire unit is wiped out then the unit is gone and no RP rolls can be taken. Similarly, if the only model left in the unit is a character (such as a joined IC or a Cryptek/Lord) then these models alone are not sufficient to allow the other models to attempt their RP rolls. Nearly every non-vehicle unit in the game benefits from RP (as opposed to the old WBB, which only worked for 'Necrons'), except for the C'Tan shards.

Reanimation Protocols returns the model to play with a single wound unless they have a Phylactery in which case they come back (the first time they get back up) with D3 wounds.

• Ever-Living. This is basically just an additional Reanimation Protocol rule that characters have to describe how they're placed back on the table. Only characters (including basic Lords & Crypteks) have this rule, no squads do. The only real thing to note about it is that if the model wasn't joined to a unit when it went down, then if it returns to play it must be placed within 3" of the spot it fell.
    So characters are the only models it really matters where their 'marker' is placed when they are removed. So in some situations, such as an enemy unit killing a character with Ever-Living in CC and then consolidating on top of his marker, it would be entirely possible to prevent him from returning to play (as they can't if you are unable to place them within 3" of the spot they went down).

• Entropic Strike. This is mainly a Scarab rule, but it also applies to a few close combat weapons in the army as well. Basically if a model suffers an unsaved wound from an Entropic weapon then it has it armor save immediately changed to '-'. Obviously this would only apply to multi-wound models as any other type of model would be dead if it suffered an unsaved wound (ignoring the argument about whether a wound stopped by 'Feel No Pain' still counts as an unsaved Wound or not).
    Against vehicles, for each hit by this weapon type means at the end of the phase you roll a D6 and on a 4+ the vehicle's armor value is reduced by '1' on all facings. If a vehicle is reduced to '0' on any facing then it becomes wrecked immediately.

• Living-Metal. Not just for the Monolith anymore! Many vehicles in the codex have this and it basically allows the vehicle to ignore a Shaken result on a 2+ and a Stunned result on a 4+. These rolls are made immediately when the vehicle is damaged so this is nowhere near as good as the Grey Knights ability to remove Shaken/Stunned results.

• Phase out is gone (good riddance, I say ).

• There doesn't appear to be any Force Org shifting around in this codex at all unlike most other recent codexes (so taking any special character doesn't allow you to take a unit in a different section of the Force Org chart at all).

NECRON ARMY-WIDE WEAPON NOTES

• Gauss Weaponry does NOT have rending. It retains the 'auto-glance' on a penetration roll of a '6' rule, but has otherwise has lost the 'auto-wound' on a roll of a '6' regardless of Toughness that it used to have. The Gauss Cannon is now apparently Assault 2 & AP3 (I'm assuming the Strength is still 6).

• Telsa Weapons. With these weapons for every '6' rolled to hit the 'target suffers 2 additional automatic hits'. Whether or not that means the target suffers 2 or 3 hits in this case is a bit ambiguous, but I think the word 'additional' means that its actually 3 (one for the original hit for rolling the '6' to hit and then another additional two for a grand total of 3). The big daddy version of this weapon found on a lot of the heavier vehicles is the Tesla Destructor (and is almost always twin-linked to really maximize the chance to get those extra '6's to hit).
    All Tesla weapons are 24" and AP '-', but the Destructor is S7, Assault 4 and 'Arc' (which means you roll a D6 each unit, friendly and enemy, within 6" of your target and on a '6' they are struck with D6 S5 AP- hits as well). While the AP '-' keeps this weapon from being a premiere light vehicle killer, I think with all the potential S7 shots this can theoretically kick out, it still going to be pretty good at zapping vehicles.

The weapons go in order from lightest to heaviest as: Tesla Carbine -> Cannon -> Destructor.

• Particle Weapons. These are basically the blast weapons of the Necron army (with the exception of the pistol variant) with no special rules. They all have a pretty high Strength and a mid-range AP.

The weapons go in order from lightest to heaviest as: Particle Caster (pistol) -> Beamer -> Shredder -> Whip.

• There aren't any weapons that ignore invulnerable saves in the codex either...however there are quite a few little special abilities scattered about that simply remove models from play if they fail a certain kind of test, which does effectively ignore invulnerable saves (and any other kind of save too).

via Bramgaunt

Monolith, Warriors and Destroyers stay the same price and the same composition. 12 Warriors & 3 scarab bases.

Also, i haven't seen any mention of the Eternal Life rule, which allows whole units to get up again. No idea how it works, though.

Also, the Cryptec is slightly less expensive then the Overlords, the flayed ones however are 35€, thats 9€ more then rumoured.

35 ->Euro<-. 35 Euro for the Flayed ones. Not Pound. And Ferrox is correct, everything that's 20.50 gbp transtales to 26 Euro.

Ah, Immortals and Deathmarks ARE one kit. Just to clear this one out.
    Yep, necrons are geting some nasty decay at the hands of Ward. "Super advanced" living metal being now plain worst than marines gluing papers to their tanks is just hilarious! So much for necrons being advanced tech anymore, I guess we're lucky Ward didn't just decided to take their guns, giving them S&P and forcing them to charge into melee like shambling zombies.

Altough losing the ability to ignore invulnerables was fully expected since the GK codex assassin C'tan Blade also lost that ability now that I notice it.

Oh, and just to be sure, on top of the gauss nerf, all their new offensive abilities are being tackled into weapons with no AP at all, just to make sure they get screwed by marine armies.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2011-10-22 at 03:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, necrons are geting some nasty decay at the hands of Ward. "Super advanced" living metal being now plain worst than marines gluing papers to their tanks is just hilarious! So much for necrons being advanced tech anymore, I guess we're lucky Ward didn't just decided to take their guns, giving them S&P and forcing them to charge into melee like shambling zombies.
    Thats only when you compare them to militia level infantery, when they actualy should be compared to Wraiths Lychguards or immortals.

Oh, and just to be sure, on top of the gauss nerf, all their new offensive abilities are being tackled into weapons with no AP at all, just to make sure they get screwed by marine armies.
    Ahh, except for their S10 AP1 doomsday cannon, or their tankeating bugs.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I played against a tau army with my blood angels. It was extremely painful. Everything in his army could glance my tanks and after destroying my tanks I was forced to footslog across the battlefield which didn't go well against 36 firewarriors, 9 snipers drones and a heap of markerlights.

He won the first turn much to my disappointment. First turn of the game I lost three tanks and had one immobilised. My new whirlwind managed to kill a whopping 2 kroot before blowing up. The only saving grace of the game was my assault marine sarge who killed 15 kroot in close combat by himself and then blew up one hammerhead and ripped the railgun off the other. (Is there some sort of honourific I can give him?)

I think my main problem was my deployment. I should have blocked as many of my vehicles off from line of sight as possible. Instead I spread them out to get as close as I could to the enemy at the start of the game thus leaving my tanks open to enemy fire.

The next game I tabled my ork opponent. Life is odd sometimes.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    So I played against a tau army with my blood angels. It was extremely painful. Everything in his army could glance my tanks and after destroying my tanks I was forced to footslog across the battlefield which didn't go well against 36 firewarriors, 9 snipers drones and a heap of markerlights.
    Um... S5 guns vs AV11?

He should have about 1 glance per vehicle, less with smoke projectors, and real SM tanks, like Vindicator and Predator, with AV13...

Also:

Dear Prin... Empress Emprahstia;

Today, I learned Necrons can still win despite being below PO limit because game can end before they are forced to flee.

Also, I learned Yriel is 'technically' S3. It wasn't pretty

Your Faithful Inquisitor :P
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

So guys i play tyranids. I usually play against Orks or Tau. The challenge is to make an army that is effective against both. We play 2000 pts.

I have some list that work fine, just wanted to hear if any of you got any ideas.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #1147

Tervigon x (at least) 2 - out horde the Orks and swamp the tau

Tyrannofex - blow up the vehicles at range.

Ymgrrls - assassinate the baseline tau shooters and any Lootas present.

many, many gaunts.

Would be my take on it.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Legion Reborn - The Iron Crusade

So, in my quest to collect a unique and yet effective Tyranid army, I ended up buying another 1200 points of Space Marines and a Black Templars Codex.
    Go figure.
    For want of anything else to do, I took them out for a spin against a familiar foe - Orks.

Forces of the Space Marines - The Iron Legion Chapter (Black Templars)
    Spoiler
    Show
    HQ - Emperor's Champion
    + Accept Any Challenge, No Matter The Odds
    HQ - Reclusiarch (ie: Chaplain)
    + Jump Pack
    + Terminator Honours

Troop - 10x Black Templar Initiates
    + Bolt Pistol & CC Weapon
    + Land Raider Crusader
    + Bolt Pistol & CC Weapon
    + Land Raider Crusader

Fast -7x Assault Initiates
    + Power Fist
    + Storm Shield

Heavy - Land Raider
    Heavy - Predator Annihilator
    + Lascannon Sponsons
    Heavy - Predator Annihilator
    + Lascannon Sponsons

The Orkish Filth (Approx - I make no claims that I know anything about the Ork Codex....)
    Spoiler
    Show
    HQ - Big Mek
    + Power Klaw
    + Kustom Force Field

Elite - 10x Flash Gits
    Elite(?) - 10x Kommandos
    Elite - 6x Ork Nobz
    + Pain Boy
    + Assortment of Big Choppas and Power Klaws

Troop - 20x Ork Boys
    + Nob w/Power Klaw
    Troop - 20x Ork Boys
    + Nob w/Power Klaw
    Troop - Deff Dread
    + 2x 'Eavy Shoota
    + 2x CC Weapons

Fast - 3x Wartrakks
    Fast - 3x Deff Koptas

Heavy - 3x Killa Kans
    Heavy - 3x Killa Kans

Total: 2000pts each

Setup:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We rolled a Pitched Battle, and the Capture & Control objective. I placed my objective in the South-West of my deployment zone, nestled within a ruined building, and my opponent placed his in the North-East atop a rubble-strewn hill.
    The Ork Player won the roll to decide set up, and elected to go second. So, I placed a Crusader full of Marines on both the extreme east and western edges of the table, with the vanilla Land Raider on the other side of the wall to my objective, again with Marines on board. One Predator parked right on my objective, whereas the second sat to the east of my Lander Raider and thus kept watch over the largest open space in the middle of the board. The Assault Initiates, joined by the Reclusiarch, remained in reserve while the Emperor's Champion proved himself incredibly manly and opted to footslog along side the eastern Crusader.

The Orks setup mostly along the table edge, from left to right: Flash Gits, Boys, Wartrakks, Killa Kans, Nobz, Killa Kans, Boyz. The Deff Dread pushed forward, lurking within some ruins between my Land Raider and his objective. The Kommandos infiltrated atop a Tower that stood in the middle of the board, between my two Predators whereas the Big Mek..... No idea where he end up, he played virtually no part in the game itself!

Finally, the Orks failed to Seize the Initiative, and so the Iron Legion Space Marines made the first move.

Turn 1:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Crusader to the west moved forward 6", whereas the one to the east moved the full 12". Everyone else sat still and commenced fire, collectively wounding a Deff Kopta and one of the Predators individually destroying the Deff Dread outright. Not a bad start.

The Orks surged forward - the 20 Boys nearest to my opponents' objective ran up the hill and claimed it, whereas the Kans and Trakks edged into the ruins where the ruined Dread lay gently smouldering. The other 20 Boys moved towards the tower and the Flash Gits climbed atop a hill in front of my western Crusader. A whole lot of firing from the Orks achieved.... Nothing at all. AV14 is a scary prospect even before your only Dreadnought has gone up in flames....

Turn 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After the Deep Striking Assault Squad failed to turn up, the Western Crusader lurched forward and punched a whole lot of fire into the Flash Gits, killing 2 of them. The Marines within then disembarked and unleashed fire from their Bolt Pistols, wounding 1 other and readying for the charge.
    The Land Raider and Predators failed to account for another Deff Kopta. Boo. Meanwhile, the other Crusader found a high gear and moved 12" towards the Ors on the objective, killing one of them with it's multimelta though the Marines within chose not to disembark. Biding their time....

To the west, the Initiates obeyed their Vow and lunged for the Flash Gits on the hill. Grenades and chainswords a-flashing, they accounted for 2 wounds off the Orks.... And then it all went horribly wrong.
    Who knew that Flash Gits have 3 attacks each, as well as s6 guns!?
    That hurt a lot more than it was supposed to, and the Marines took 3 casualties. But they were not merely Marines - they were Iron Legion, and they Fearlessly battled on.

The Orks began an attempt at tactics - The Killa Kans strode over their Deff Dread/cousin's corpse and menaced the Emperor's Champion, knowing that he wouldn't be able to resist a challenge (in either sense of the word, thanks to his Vow) while the Nobz lurked right behind them, ready to pounce.
    The Deff Koptas and Wartrakks followed them out though the same ruins, but moving at high speed they were able to turn out and towards the Land Raider and Predator.
    Similarly, the Kommandos obeyed their Orkish genes and decided to leave the protection of the tower and readied themselves to assault the nearby Initiates. On their way they passed by the Ork Boys, who were attempting to manoeuvre their Power Klaw to the Crusader.
    By the end of the shooting phase, one of the Predators was Stunned... And nothing else.

The assault phase was, amazingly, not as bloody as one might imagine. The Initiates accounted for 3 Kommandos and in return took 5 casualties, Power Armour saving them from Fearless losses. The three remaining Initiates were successfully tar-pitting almost twice their points-cost in Elite Orkish forces... Just As Planned.
    The Crusader, on the other hand, ignored the Power Klaw swung at it, and the Machine Spirit within prepared to avenge itself on the insult....

Turn 3:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Assault Squad and their spiritual/martial leader finally graced the battlefield with their presence, and once again my Scatter dice proved it was the most crooked die that I own and scored a 'HIT' for what is probably the 5th game in a row.
    They landed exactly between the Ork Nobz and the Boys that held the objective, threatening both and causing serious concern to my opponent. To add insult to threat, I then disembarked the Marines from the Land Raider and had them run around the corner to take hold of my own objective. To add injury to both insult and threat, the Crusader to the east disgorged it's payload of Marines at the foot of the hill. Two Hurricane Bolters, Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Multimelta, and a round of Bolt Pistols later, there were considerably less Orks to worry about when the Initiates piled into them.

Back to the west, the other Crusader unloaded the same firepower into the Boys that were stood nearby, accounting for many of them but failing to drive them off. The collective power of my Predators and Land Raider finished off all but one wound from the Deff Koptas, and then we rolled around to Assault.

The 3 embattled Initiates proved themselves worthy of the title 'Space Marine'. One of them fell in the line of their duty, his soul earning it's place at the right hand of the Emperor, but his two fellows fought back and avenged him, dragging down two of their enemies and ending the melee in a stalemate.
    To the east, the Emperor's Champion threw himself blindly at the Killa Kans, amazingly stunning one but predictably failing to survive their retaliation.

Nearby, the Initiates threw themselves at the Ork Boys and killed 8 of them to one casualty of their own. Faced with such fury, the Orks fled their objective, and the Initiates stood and watched them go....

The Ork turn ended with the concession of my opponent. In order to win, he had to take his 15 Ork Boyz, 3 Wartrakks and a single Deff Kopta, footslog the former 12" to my objective, remove 10 Initiates and a Predator from it all while avoiding the Crusader right before them just to force a draw. In order to win they had to do that and also clear the other Initiates and the other Crusader from the other objective with just the shooting from the Nobs and Killa Kans while hoping not to be mauled by the nearby Assault Squad.
    Even his 5 fleeing Boys couldn't help him contest - both they and the Initiates rolled dreadfully low to try and escape the combat, meaning that although they weren't caught and destroyed the Boys were still within 6" of the Initiates and wouldn't rally, instead running off the table at the start of the turn.

The End:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Iron Legion 2 - 0 The Orkish Filth.

After Match Musing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All in all, I enjoyed myself. I strongly suspect, however, that is because I won, and I won easily. I really didn't have to try very hard to win this game - fire lascannons at enemy vehicles, move men forward, roll dice until opponent cries. Repeat.

Quite simply, Orks can't have experimental lists.
    My opponent was working with something-like a Dread Mob, but without a second Deff Dread he filled the space with some very questionable choices - the Kommandos in particular have no place against Black Templars, and the Wartrakks could easily have been something far more effective (more Boys with Power Klaws, particularly).

Tactically, I think my opponent was aggressive in the west and defensive in the east, when he should have been the other way around.
    He allowed his Flash Kits and Kommandos to spend far, far too much time fighting the Initiates and failing to hurt the Crusader when they should have tried to avoid both and pushed for my objective. Conversely, his other unit of Boys sat and did nothing for 2 turns, and when they finally got to fight I was already contesting that objective by default - had they pushed forward, sooner, and not allowed me to get that far, I could have at best managed a 1-0 win, and far more likely be reduced to a draw.

Ultimately though, he was beaten by Land Raiders.
    As soon as he lost his Deff Dread, he had almost nothing in his army that could reliably kill any of my tanks, let alone 3 Land Raiders, and with the freedom to move and deploy where I wanted with Lascannons and Multimelta wherever I needed them, it was just a matter of how badly he was going to be beaten.

As always: Mech is King.
    Prepare to kill tanks every time you fire a weapon, or you're going to lose.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-10-23 at 11:43 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Tervigon x (at least) 2 - out horde the Orks and swamp the tau

Tyrannofex - blow up the vehicles at range.

Ymgrrls - assassinate the baseline tau shooters and any Lootas present.

many, many gaunts.

Would be my take on it.
    He doesn´t use lootas but i have sugested that he should. I just outflank normal stealers

I am personaly not very fond of the tyronnofex, but i use hive guards and zoanthropes for great effect.
    I usually use tervigons.
    But i don't usually use gaunts, guess i could try. But that would take a lot troop choices.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Meanwhile, the other Crusader found a high gear and moved 12" towards the Ors on the objective, killing one of them with it's multimelta
    Why not shoot Hurricane Bolters?

Ultimately though, [Orks were] beaten by Land Raiders.
    Orks have nothing that can deal with Land Raiders, let alone 3. No Meltas, no Lances. No guns above S8. Zzap Guns are unreliable and Shokk Guns come at the cost of Kustom Force Fields, and also unrealiable. The only thing that can really do any good is a Deffrolla, and any opponent worth anything can probably kill 2-3 Battlewagons in the first turn without too much hassle.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #1151

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Why not shoot Hurricane Bolters?
    For the same reason I didn't use the Twin-Linked Assault Cannons - I thought it would be funny.

Also, they may have been wearing 'Eavy Armour and I wanted to be sure of killing something. Someone on that board was wearing the stuff, but I'm not entirely sure where.

Orks have nothing that can deal with Land Raiders, let alone 3.
    We made a (very short) list after the game of things that Orks could use to counter my list. Realistically, the only one you're going to see with any sort of regularity are large numbers of Power Klaws. A mob of Nobs on Bikes armed Klaws could possibly take a Land Raider a turn through sheer volume of attacks, with a little finesse and some luck on getting them in place early on.

Once in a blue moon, you might come across Tankbustas (I've seen them a couple of times in my local metagame) but they're not very popular and certainly not a much better prospect.

It'll get worse before it gets better. The rumours that I've heard suggest that the next few Codices coming out are going to be Necrons, Black Templars and Tau, which means that a review of Orks is very, very distant indeed.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Barbarian in the Playground

I just finished Flight of the Eisenstein and decided I want to play death guard, not the filthy pus bags they became during the heresy but the cool dudes who like trench warfare because it feels like home. Also Garro.
    Now just the practical application. I think the Black templars rules suit them best, a horde of power armoured footslogging dudes who only run at you faster if you shoot them. Of course I won't be able to use the fancier toys in the BT arsenal like the Crusader but that doesn't worry me too much. I still need to work out some kinks in the fluff. the Emperors Champion will probably be Mortarions Honoured and for the rest a "the warp did it" should suffice.

We are the Voice, the Clarion Call
    The Rivals Ruin, The Tyrants Fall

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm thinking about taking my Eldar slowly out of retirement. I'll probably replace most of the army, buy newer models, replace irreparably damaged ones (sadly, that's a lot of them), modernize the army, now that Serpents exist (man, this amry is old).

The basic idea, for 2000 points (has the advantage of being mostly covered with 2 batallion boxes and what I already have)

HQ:
    Seer, Spirit Stones, Doom, Guidance

Elites:
    6 Striking Scorpions
    Exarch, Scorpion's Claw, Infiltration

5 Fire dragons,
    Exarch
    Serpent, scatter lasers, spirit stones

Troops:
    6 Pathfinders

6 Rangers

10 Dire Avengers
    Exarch, Twin catapults, shuriken storm
    Serpent, shuriken cannons, spirit stones

3 guardian jetbikes, shuriken cannon
    3 guardian jetbikes, shuriken cannon

16 eldar guardians,
    Warlock, veil of fog
    Laser lance

Fast:
    3 vypers, 6 shuriken cannons, 3 spirit stones

Heavy:
    2 War walkers, spirit stones, 4 rocket launchers

Wraithlord, 2 flame throwers, starcannon, shuriken cannon

Fire prism, holo field, spirit stones
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Okay, so I'm a new player entering Warhammer 40,000. However, I wnt to try to play a unusual army--(Warhipster?) Any recommendations/elaboration on the first post?

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ogre in the Playground

Drop the spirit stones on the Walkers. Also consider swapping the ML out for Scatter Lasers, walkers are only BS3.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlich View Post
    Okay, so I'm a new player entering Warhammer 40,000. However, I wnt to try to play a unusual army--(Warhipster?) Any recommendations/elaboration on the first post?
    Find out what armies are generally played in your area and pick something else.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #1157

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Um... S5 guns vs AV11?

He should have about 1 glance per vehicle, less with smoke projectors, and real SM tanks, like Vindicator and Predator, with AV13...

[/FONT][/I]
    You would think that wouldn't you but he was getting an average of about 3 glances per firewarrior unit and the sniper drones got penetrating hits. Then I was unable to roll cover saves at all. I think I only saved about 1/5 cover saves and of course he had his dreaded railguns which popped my tanks without trouble.

18. - Top - End - #1158

Not Marines. Everyone and their brother plays Marines.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

19. - Top - End - #1159

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Find out what armies are generally played in your area and pick something else.
    Play Not-Space-Marines

Tyranids, Imperial Guard and Dark Eldar are strong in my metagame

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

20. - Top - End - #1160

Play Harlequin. They are space hipsters pretty much by definition

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ettin in the Playground

Play Necrons, and then paint them rainbow colored. Even better if you paint Nyan cat onto your monoliths and play Yackedy Sacks as you move them around (Actually, you could also play it when you move your floating lords/destroyers).

You'll be the most hipster undead millenium old robot soul sucking being in the galaxy.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, unusual armies you say? Play Sisters! Then you'll be part of the... Probably 20 people who still play them!

(This is coming from a Sisters Player)
    Last edited by Mattarias, King.; 2011-10-23 at 09:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1163

If you want an interesting and unusual army then play a grey knights henchman army.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

For any new player, I will immediately recommend Eldar or Dark Eldar. For you, it also helps that while not many people play Eldar or Dark Eldar, both armies are reasonably strong without trying very hard. And you can paint them in weird colours and nobody cares. In fact it's probably encouraged.

For the Hipster's Hipster, build a DE army around Sliscus. Personally, I find him absolutely awesome. Almost like a flamboyantly gay serial killer. If something can't be done with style, then it isn't worth doing. Everytime you get hit with a weapon that causes Instant Death, you have to say "B*, please!" and roll 2+ Invulnerables all day.

If you've got cash to burn, I suggest instead of burning it; You play Tyranids or Imperial Guard. For both Tyranids and IG to be effective, you'll need a lot of money. Ultimately, this keeps all the 'newbies' from playing. Although I suppose in this context, 'Nids and IG are l33t, rather than hipster.

If you absolutely must play Space Marines (and there's a good chance you might), play Black Templars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    If you want an interesting and unusual army then play a grey knights henchman army.
    Heh. I took a look at Coteaz, and once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it. So I painted Coteaz up as Superman and his henchmen are the Justice League.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    You'll be the most hipster undead millenium old robot soul sucking being in the galaxy.
    Necrons were better when they were underground.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

I'll second Cheesegear's recommendation of Dark Eldar, assuming that they're not surprisingly popular in your area.

Speaking of...

Heh. I took a look at Coteaz, and once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it. So I painted Coteaz up as Superman and his henchmen are the Justice League.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-10-24 at 06:09 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

27. - Top - End - #1167

We had a guy who painted all his ogres as different comic book and pop culture heroes. He had a batman ogre, an iron man ogre, a darth vader ogre, a green lantern ogre and so on. About twenty, total. So, it can happen.

So, yes. In general, find out what people near you play, then choose something different. Which is a good idea in any case: people will groan if they see more SPAce Marines, especially generic smurfs. Any place where I've been so far, about half the armies were marines of some colour. People will like to see something new.

If there's actually a decent spread, find an unusual variant. Most armies have several "basic" ways to be played: for eldar, you could go Mechanized Eldar Infantry (favourite version from what I've seen, tons of serpents, basically) or build a bike army, a deep strike/flanking army, a ranger army...
    Works for every army. Focus on army compositions other players aren't using as much. They might not be as competitive, but usually in a casual environment, pretty much all compositions work.

Edit:
    And another very important part: also select an army that you like the look and fluff off. The importance of motivation can not be overstated. Liking your models means you will like painting them more, liking to paint them will mean you will want to play with them, and opponents certainly also prefer painted models over just base-coated or plastic grey ones. (It makes the game easier if you don't have to spend half the game asking "So, these black dudes are the ones with heavy weapons, and those black dudes have the jump packs, right?)
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-10-24 at 06:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

For the Hipster's Hipster, build a DE army around Sliscus. Personally, I find him absolutely awesome. Almost like a flamboyantly gay serial killer. If something can't be done with style, then it isn't worth doing. Everytime you get hit with a weapon that causes Instant Death, you have to say "B*, please!" and roll 2+ Invulnerables all day.
    It also helps remembering quotes from Dave Chapelle as Rick James: "What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    Necrons were better when they were underground.
    Arrrgh, so terrible

More rumours, this time future releases:

Necrons (Q4-2011)
    Tau (Q1-2012)
    6th Edition/ Chaos Marines (Q2-3-2012)
    Eldar (Q4-2012)
    Ties in with moving the story to a more 'order vs disorder' storyline than everybody fights, and rumours of a Chaos/Eldar starter set (possibly in addition to a Marines/??? one).
    Would also explain why Sisters got the WD treatment if they're not due until 2013.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

29. - Top - End - #1169

Q4 for Eldar?

That's later than I would have liked, really. Hrm. Hopefully, we'll get some new models, at least.

30. - Top - End - #1170

Griffon

Necrons (Q4-2011)
    Tau (Q1-2012)
    6th Edition/ Chaos Marines (Q2-3-2012)
    Eldar (Q4-2012)
    May I ask where you heard this? The rumours that I have come across (Warseer) suggest that it's going to go Necrons - Black Templars - Tau, because GW are pathologically incapable of making every other codex a Marines variant.

For any new player, I will immediately recommend Eldar or Dark Eldar.
    [.....]
    If you absolutely must play Space Marines (and there's a good chance you might), play Black Templars.
    I'd agree with this, although I would also add "or Dark Angels" at the end depending on your local players' preferences. eBay is lousy with cheap Terminators, so it's no longer as exclusive as it used to be to own 40 of them. I can only say for sure, however, that no one I know has that many and depending on your local gaming community you might see more of them.

Mostly in the U.S. from what I have seen - I don't know if that's a coincidence, or is you guys just really, really like Terminators.

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Even better if you paint Nyan cat onto your monoliths and play Yackedy Sacks as you move them around (Actually, you could also play it when you move your floating lords/destroyers).
    Sax. Because it's played on a SAXophone.