New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by VGLordR2 View Post
    Doesn't the amount healed correspond to the amount of damage dealt? Which, in this case, would be zero?
    I think negative energy is still considered "damage," even if it heals the target. Arguably, you could say that you could deal negative healing if you read it your way, which would mean you could damage someone with positive energy (who would normally not be damaged by it).

(To make that a bit clearer, I mean that if you touch an undead and deal 5 damage as healing, you dealt the undead "-5" damage; thus, your next turn you can heal someone for -5 health).

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Namfuak View Post
    I think negative energy is still considered "damage," even if it heals the target. Arguably, you could say that you could deal negative healing if you read it your way, which would mean you could damage someone with positive energy (who would normally not be damaged by it).

(To make that a bit clearer, I mean that if you touch an undead and deal 5 damage as healing, you dealt the undead "-5" damage; thus, your next turn you can heal someone for -5 health).
    Presumably. Either way, it doesn't work as intended.
    A few odds and ends.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Presumably. Either way, it doesn't work as intended.
    this is mostly a problem of the fact that they never defined standard assumptions like that in game. Undead should be healed by negative and damage by positive. Fire types should be healed by fire, while water types are healed by cold
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    this is mostly a problem of the fact that they never defined standard assumptions like that in game. Undead should be healed by negative and damage by positive. Fire types should be healed by fire, while water types are healed by cold
    So much this, so much this hole in RAW :)

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Colossus in the Playground

You are (presumably) a being made of flesh. If someone were to hit you over the head with a ham, would that heal you? Why should hitting a fire being with fire heal it? If anything, the new flame would consume the being's fuel faster and be actively detrimental to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Water types probably shouldn't be healed by cold; freezing or evaporating a creature made of water are both fairly effective, and if anything creatures of pure water should heal from acid (they dilute it and use it to increase their mass) and immune to electricity (because absolutely pure water wouldn't conduct it). What would work better would be water elementals healing by immersing themselves in larger bodies of water or walking into a fog cloud, earth elementals healing while underground, and so forth.

But I agree with your general point. It's kind of lopsided that everything in the multiverse is powered by positive energy except undead, when it should really be that living creatures on the Prime are powered by positive energy, elemental creatures are powered by their respective elements, and outsiders are powered by their respective alignment energies. I realize that they did it the way they did because they wanted cure X wounds to work on everything and figuring out how water elementals heal from water is too much effort, but a more consistent setup would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart
    You are (presumably) a being made of flesh. If someone were to hit you over the head with a ham, would that heal you? Why should hitting a fire being with fire heal it? If anything, the new flame would consume the being's fuel faster and be actively detrimental to it.
    Creatures of elemental fire don't have a fuel source, per se, though one could argue they summoned ones have a pseudo-fuel source in the magic that holds them there. Hitting a fire elemental with fire and similar for other elements chould work like positive energy does for humanoids: hit a fire creature with fire and it absorbs it and heals, but hit it with a lot of fire and it starts being overwhelming and might explode in a burst of light if it takes in too much at once (or be diluted out into nothing if it's a water elemental hit by a massive burst of water, and so forth).

It's very thematic for elemental creatures to heal from their own element (see: elemental-themed boss fights ), and I'd prefer something like that to being able to throw fire elementals into a volcano with no ill effects--you wanna talk about a fuel source, that should put it out real fast.

On a related note, I now want to whip up some rules for various elements interacting like that. If you hit a water elemental with a cold spell, it would slow down but have an armored shell and hit like a truck, if you hit a cold elemental with fire damage it releases steam for concealment and minor damage, and so forth. Could be interesting for an "omnimental"-type monster that shifts between types of elementals based on how it's attacked....
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2012-12-10 at 12:14 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    On a related note, I now want to whip up some rules for various elements interacting like that. If you hit a water elemental with a cold spell, it would slow down but have an armored shell and hit like a truck, if you hit a cold elemental with fire damage it releases steam for concealment and minor damage, and so forth. Could be interesting for an "omnimental"-type monster that shifts between types of elementals based on how it's attacked....
    Ive actually considered starting a rewrite of 3.5, although i feel i should first get a better handle on Vancian and Psionic casting.

Primarily i would fix:

Casting
    Item Crafting
    Handling of concepts
    Invent this foreign concept called Pants

Your concept is also actually Called a Wierd, not an Elemental. they form on the Demi-planes of Concordanence or as constructs

Edit: Oh, a rules Dysfunction: Pants, they dont actually exist
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-12-10 at 12:26 AM.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ive actually considered starting a rewrite of 3.5, although i feel i should first get a better handle on Vancian and Psionic casting.

Primarily i would fix:

Casting
    Item Crafting
    Handling of concepts
    Invent this foreign concept called Pants

Your concept is also actually Called a Wierd, not an Elemental. they form on the Demi-planes of Concordanence or as constructs
    There are so many 3.X rewrites floating around, either partial or complete. Every 3.X fan and their uncle has rewritten large sections of it.

Arms and Equipment Guide, page 29, Table 2-2, Clothing. Under "Breeches/pants".
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

D&D has several versions of elemental weirds, many ways of generating demiplanes, and the Singers of Concordance, but I can't think of any omnimental weirds native to demiplanes of concordance. Elaborate, please?

Mundane pants do exist, actually, they can be seen in the pictures of the various starting outfits and exist in A&EG. Magic pants don't exist, though they really should, particularly +5 pants of deflection and morphing pants of sizing.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Troll in the Playground

D&D has several versions of elemental weirds, many ways of generating demiplanes, and the Singers of Concordance, but I can't think of any omnimental weirds native to demiplanes of concordance. Elaborate, please?
    The demi-elemental planes of ConcordanceOpposition would be the opposed elemental planes. Elementals from these planes actually would have the type of Wierd, not elemental. the only one of the three planes i can name would be the plane of Concordanant Opposition (the other 2 are never named in 3.5 material, and Con-Op is from DDO so how canon that is is upto the reader), where Possitive and Negative meet.

Mineral, Magma, Prismatic, and Dust elementals are not wierds though, despite arrising from planes created from the convergence of 2 superplanes, as they are not from opposed planes.

Unless the A&EG says that pants are part of Fancy Clothes or Simple Clothes, then they dont exist. Pictures dont count.
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-12-10 at 12:56 AM.

Drow avatar @ myself

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

The demi-elemental planes of ConcordanceOpposition would be the opposed elemental planes. Elementals from these planes actually would have the type of Wierd, not elemental. the only one of the three planes i can name would be the plane of Concordanant Opposition (the other 2 are never named in 3.5 material, and Con-Op is from DDO so how canon that is is upto the reader), where Possitive and Negative meet.

Mineral, Magma, Prismatic, and Dust elementals are not wierds though, despite arrising from planes created from the convergence of 2 superplanes, as they are not from opposed planes.
    Ah, there's the confusion. The plane with the canonical title of the Concordant Opposition is the Outlands, and refers to opposition of Good/Evil and Law/Chaos, not the elements, and it sounds like the DDO version of weirds is also nonstandard. In D&D canon, two-element mixtures form para-elemental planes (Magma, Smoke, Ice, and Ooze), element/energy mixtures form quasi-elemental planes (Lightning/Mineral/Radiant/Steam for positive energy + air/earth/fire/water and Vacuum/Dust/Ash/Salt for negative energy), and the opposing elemental and energy planes don't ever combine.

Unless the A&EG says that pants are part of Fancy Clothes or Simple Clothes, then they dont exist. Pictures dont count.
    The artisan's outfit, cold weather outfit, explorer's outfit, peasant's outfit, and traveler's outfit in the PHB specifically mention pants or breeches, as do the heatsuit and spelunker's outfit in the A&EG, and there are separate prices and weights for six kinds of pants (sackcloth, cotton, leather, woolen, velvet, and silk) in the A&EG as well.

Show

<Snip>

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, there's the confusion. The plane with the canonical title of the Concordant Opposition is the Outlands, and refers to opposition of Good/Evil and Law/Chaos, not the elements, and it sounds like the DDO version of weirds is also nonstandard. In D&D canon, two-element mixtures form para-elemental planes (Magma, Smoke, Ice, and Ooze), element/energy mixtures form quasi-elemental planes (Lightning/Mineral/Radiant/Steam for positive energy + air/earth/fire/water and Vacuum/Dust/Ash/Salt for negative energy), and the opposing elemental and energy planes don't ever combine.
    actually, the definition of Wierds is from MTG (where they are actually elemental constructs of fire and ice). Wierds would be downright impossible to kill if they were in DDO because of how little of the mitigation we get in the game. the Undead fire elementals in Necropolis 4 are bad enough in that game already, as are the Darthbolds in Enter the Kobold.
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-12-10 at 01:31 AM.

Drow avatar @ myself

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Titan in the Playground

Magical pants do exist! They're just japanese. The beginning of OA's magic item chapter has the listing for types of items which includes a note about using hakama in place of a cloak. Hakama are those big, flowing pants that samurai wear.

Bonus points: hakama of charisma is a pair of pants that make you more attractive to others.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

Affliction (BoED) specifies that it does extra damage against evil undead, except that it's Fort negates, so undead are immune to it.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I don't know if anyone's brought it up yet, but what about knowledge skills? They're trained only, which means, for example, someone without ranks in knowledge (nature) wouldn't know what a wolf is, or the ocean, and someone without ranks in knowledge (history) wouldn't know about anything that ever happened that they hadn't directly experienced. Sure, for knowledge (arcana), (the planes), etc, it makes sense (the average joe doesn't know what type of outsiders reside in limbo or ancient arcane secrets) but things like local, history, nature, architecture, geography, etc, being trained only makes zero sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterofFates View Post
    I don't know if anyone's brought it up yet, but what about knowledge skills? They're trained only, which means, for example, someone without ranks in knowledge (nature) wouldn't know what a wolf is, or the ocean, and someone without ranks in knowledge (history) wouldn't know about anything that ever happened that they hadn't directly experienced. Sure, for knowledge (arcana), (the planes), etc, it makes sense (the average joe doesn't know what type of outsiders reside in limbo or ancient arcane secrets) but things like local, history, nature, architecture, geography, etc, being trained only makes zero sense.
    This has been covered before but I'm not sure if this thread or not.

Knowledge can be used DC 10 or less untrained. That might not get you detailed information but since your average 5 year old can tell you the difference between a wolf and an elephant, its pretty fair to say the DC to identify a particular Genus is fairly low, unless you have animals who are a lot alike. Think "that's an elephant" "African or Asian?" "I don't know."

Likewise, lack of knowledge local doesn't prevent you from finding the market place in the town you grew up in.

This also covers the kind of common knowledge you'd expect to be floating around. People know things like Angels live in Celestia, Devils come from Hell, but would be rather light on details about specific residents. They may even have trouble with the difference between Devils and Demons for that matter. Though most peasants would easily make the leap to assuming that fire does not work on the minions of Hell.

The DC 10+hitdice checks are for specific and useful knowledge about a particular creature, things like its special powers and specific identification, or even knowledge of typical tactics. That is specialized learning that is in a different category than "Holy ****! A Dragon! RUN!"
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty sure it's been brought up before, and in fact a whole thread spun off just for Knowledge checks to identify creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ah, thanks. Was that eratta'd, homebrewed, or am I simply terrible at reading?
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, thanks. Was that eratta'd, homebrewed, or am I simply terrible at reading?
    As far as I know there's no particular errata for Knowledge checks, at least not for IDing monsters. Making sense out of it requires houserules or homebrew, whether recognized or not.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    This is why one should never copy and paste, and should always have an editor look over the finished product.
    Oh, they do.

It's just that the editors have no idea how to actually, you know, play the game.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

21. - Top - End - #1281

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Oh, they do.

It's just that the editors have no idea how to actually, you know, play the game.
    But it's just common sense in that case. Isn't it?

(Random copy/paste fail: The other day at my Intro Neurobio class's review session I was the only one who'd noticed that one problem on the practice exam had one answer repeated twice, and due to its poor wording, technically both of those and one of the others were all right.)
    Jude P.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Troll in the Playground

But it's just common sense in that case. Isn't it?
    "Common Sense" is a very badly named quality, given how rare it is.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ettin in the Playground

Prismatic Golems are incorporeal constructs. Think about that for a second.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Affliction (BoED) specifies that it does extra damage against evil undead, except that it's Fort negates, so undead are immune to it.
    Ignore the save portion, you can make a valid argument that since the spell identifies undead as a valid target within its description that the spell ignores the Fort save rule of undead.

Half to two thirds of the spell is useless against undead since it deals ability damage. Undead are immune to strength and dexterity damage and they lack a constitution score and thus immune to it. Many undead also lack an intelligence score so they are immune to the intelligence damage. Of course, you could make the same argument line for why the damage applies as for why the spell applies.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2012-12-12 at 02:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Prismatic Golems are incorporeal constructs. Think about that for a second.
    ... what about it? I'm not seeing the strange.

(In fact, sometime I'd like to homebrew an incorporeal immobile mindless construct that acts as a teleporting turret defense. Has Str -, Dex -, Con -, Int -. Mostly because I find the idea of a creature with all eligible ability scores nulls to be funny.)

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    ... what about it? I'm not seeing the strange.

(In fact, sometime I'd like to homebrew an incorporeal immobile mindless construct that acts as a teleporting turret defense. Has Str -, Dex -, Con -, Int -. Mostly because I find the idea of a creature with all eligible ability scores nulls to be funny.)
    So, a Ghost maple Tree?

anyway, the strange part of the creature is that it is a golem made out of an intangible material

Drow avatar @ myself

27. - Top - End - #1287

So, a Ghost maple Tree?

anyway, the strange part of the creature is that it is a golem made out of an intangible material
    So? Wear Ghost Touch gauntlets or just be a ghost when you're making it.
    Jude P.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Troll in the Playground

So? Wear Ghost Touch gauntlets or just be a ghost when you're making it.
    typically Incorporal constructions have some basis on a plane of reality, and by extension, some form of mass.

Light, on the other hand, does not have mass

Drow avatar @ myself

29. - Top - End - #1289

typically Incorporal constructions have some basis on a plane of reality, and by extension, some form of mass.

Light, on the other hand, does not have mass
    Who even knows what light is? (Here comes the Physics gang!)
    Jude P.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

Who even knows what light is? (Here comes the Physics gang!)
    Slay all the catgirls!

But seriously, I'll grant that an incorporeal mass of non-living matter is odd, but not necessarily dysfunctional.