New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Whats the point of the Core sorcerer?

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Apprentice (Spellcaster) says hi. Every Sorcerer should take this feat. An extra spell known, the ability to swap a spell at every level, UMD as an in class skill (it always should have been), and an extra Knowledge skill in case you need it for a PrC. Of course, it really comes into its own when you combine it with Mother Cyst and a Bloodline feat, for a total of 20 spells of your choosing added to your spells known.

It still isn't a Wizard, but it does help the first level argument.
    No it doesn't - the Wizard still knows over twice as many 1st level spells as the Sorcerer. There is never a moment when they know the same amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Wizards are the finely-tuned watch. Sorcerers are the rubber mallet.
    I feel that I've heard this before but can't place it...

I've said this before in a previous thread *looks through other threads* AH! here it is

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    I play D&D with 4 different groups of players and show up to every game and play a Wizard in all of them, the problem of preparing spells has never really come up for me since after a while your going to have favorite spells that you like more than other spells and will prepare them more often then others. Eventually you start playing as a Sorcerer with a spellbook, the only thing I've noticed that Wizards have over Sorcerers is the ability to best use Item creation feats to the best potential and even then that is limited However, I do still like Wizards over Sorcerers.

Please note this is my experience and opinion, in reality some Wizards pick different spells for the day EVERYDAY but meh, I'm different and lazier Its to much of a headache to keep all that book work, Just have a fine list of spells that you like and go back to them every now and again (But its always smart to keep your main list with you when preparing, if one of your favorite spells doesn't do what you like then just pick a spell that you know that does what you want it to)
    Cult of the Playground est. 2011

Proud owner of 1 internet

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.
    to join simply copy this.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy
    Has your party been checked for DWS

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    No it doesn't - the Wizard still knows over twice as many 1st level spells as the Sorcerer. There is never a moment when they know the same amount.
    True, but a 1st level sorcerer can know as many spells as a 1st level Wizard can prepare. Of course, a 1st level Wizard with the same feat investment can spontaneously cast any spell he knows up to Int mod times per day.

I'm not saying that Sorcerers are better.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

4. - Top - End - #34

What is the point of Core Anything?

a Core wizard does not have much more to offer than a Core Sorcerer.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of Mother Cyst... I keep hearing that it gives 11 spells, but I can only find 10 of them. There's one per level, and then there's the second level spell that actually makes the cyst. Where's the last spell hiding? (As in, what other level gives two spells, and which two are they?)
    Throw the dice high.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Wizards are the finely-tuned watch. Sorcerers are the rubber mallet.
    I love mallets.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    There might potentially be such a point, high in Epics, if Sorcerer keeps taking "Extra Spell" as his feat. At some point he'll exhaust all possible spells to know. Then again, at that point Wizard and Sorcerer will both be overdeity-scale powerful.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

Whats the point of the Core sorcerer?
    So the Wizard can feel even bigger in the pants.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

i just give mine spell bending also know as to "wing it"
    they lose one spell known per spell level but gain the abiity to as a fullround action use two spell slots of the same level cast any spell in the sor/wiz spell list of that level if the spell would take a full round action or more you instead double its casting time
    it makes them truly spontanious

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by manamyst View Post
    i just give mine spell bending also know as to "wing it"
    they lose one spell known per spell level but gain the abiity to as a fullround action use two spell slots of the same level cast any spell in the sor/wiz spell list of that level if the spell would take a full round action or more you instead double its casting time
    it makes them truly spontanious
    Interesting homebrew - but its not a core sorceror.
    I think this makes them Tier 0
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Interesting homebrew - but its not a core sorceror.
    I think this makes them Tier 0
    Longer casting time and double the spell slots? Not tier 0. Definitely not tier 0.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

Guys? Since LoD, Wizards have been spontaneous. Complete Champion would also like a chat with you guys. And Contact Other Plane laughs at this whole "preparing" thing.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Little Brother View Post
    Guys? Since LoD, Wizards have been spontaneous. Complete Champion would also like a chat with you guys. And Contact Other Plane laughs at this whole "preparing" thing.
    I know your joking but can you tell me which page is says this?
    Cult of the Playground est. 2011

Proud owner of 1 internet

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.
    to join simply copy this.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy
    Has your party been checked for DWS

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Longer casting time and double the spell slots? Not tier 0. Definitely not tier 0.
    Well they can cast any arcane spell in the system, without having to go and learn it, without having to plan and prepare the spell in advance. That does sound like a tier above wizard.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

15. - Top - End - #45

Not if you have to burn two equal level slots to do it and it's a full round to cast (like summoning).

They will burn through spell slots fast that way. I might limit it to 1/encounter or 3/day but otherwise it's not that bad.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

What is the point? To allow players to play a caster whos power comes from innate ability and talent rather than conviction in a deity or set of principles (cleric), a connection to the power of the natural world (druid), or from long and arduous study (wizard).
    From a meta perspective, they are, at least in my experience, significantly easier to just pick up and play compared to a wizard.
    These are my spells, there are many like them, but these ones are mine.
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Then again, though, they still know all of their favorite spells and can cast them normally-- You'd only have to use double slots for spells you didn't already know, so you probably only end up needing to pull that out a couple times a day (and of course, sorcs get more spells per day than wizards). I think that just might put an even-level sorcerer at more powerful than a wizard.

Of course, at odd levels, the wizard still has access to an entire level of spells that the sorcerer doesn't.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #48

Aside from Arcane Fusion and Greater Rite of Passage and all the other little Sorcerer quirks you should be using if the target power level is "Wizard", a good point has been sort of half-brought up in this thread. Sorcerers are easy to play and hard to design. This makes them a much better class to give to a new player (as long as you either design it for them or watchdog them over the whole process).

Metamagic and reducers for it actually do favor the Sorcerer more, because Spontaneous casting is better suited to a Blaster playstyle (where often you have some utility options or BFC or mobility on your spell list but would normally have no idea how many of them need to be prepared) and interacts with Arcane Spellsurge more favorably.

To make good use of prepared casting you must be willing to make very aggressive use of Divinations. In cases where Divinations do not work very well, either because of lots of people with Nondetection running around (and a favorable DM intepretation of a muddy area in the rules) or because the DM is just sick of you Divining things and starts twisting answers, prepared casting is suddenly much less attractive. It sounds extremely meta, but you're much less likely to piss off your DM (and bore your fellow players) by simply being extremely effective in 'bad" situations than by using Divination to prevent bad situations from ever occurring in the first place.

Even discounting the DM thing, Divinations sort of leave you on a knife-edge with regards to effectiveness. If you ever relax your vigilance or somehow make a serious blunder, you will not have the proper spells prepared and you may lack the sheer power necessary to salvage the situation.

19. - Top - End - #49

That's pretty much a misconception actually.

You can build a very solid spell list at level 20 that will give you what you need against 95% of the enemies in the game without a problem.

The thing is that you have to actually think about your spells and use them creatively.

Disintegrate, for example, is a utility spell, a no-save battle field control spell, and a fort save or die spell.

Fabricate is a battle field control spell and a utility spell.

Resilient Sphere is a defensive spell, a battle field control spell, and a reflex save or be trapped spell.

Prismatic Sphere is a defensive spell, a utility spell, a battle field control spell, and an attack spell.

Gate is a defensive spell, a utility spell, an attack spell, an escape spell, and a calling spell.

Polymorph Any Object is a battle field control spell, a utility spell, a buff spell, a fort-save or loose, a no save just loose, and a defensive spell.

Temporal Stasis is a will save or loose, a utility spell, and a defensive spell.

I could go on, many spell (even some of surprisingly low level) can be down right deadly even at high levels with just a bit of creativity and imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Then again, though, they still know all of their favorite spells and can cast them normally-- You'd only have to use double slots for spells you didn't already know, so you probably only end up needing to pull that out a couple times a day (and of course, sorcs get more spells per day than wizards). I think that just might put an even-level sorcerer at more powerful than a wizard.

Of course, at odd levels, the wizard still has access to an entire level of spells that the sorcerer doesn't.
    I'm not sure this houserule is properly thought out, or at least not fully explained.
    If they lose the first spell known per spell level then at even levels they are completely open and can cast 3/2 spells per day (without bonus spells) ?
    At the next odd level they would know 1 spell of their highest level, which they could spam, and have the "wing-it" option open.
    ?????
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

I know your joking but can you tell me which page is says this?
    Actually, Exemplars of Evil, not Lords of Darkness. I always confuse those two books confused. Either way, p26, I believe.

Or p52 of Complete Champion. Not as big, but still nifty.

But, no, I am not joking.

22. - Top - End - #52

Actually, Exemplars of Evil, not Lords of Darkness. I always confuse those two books confused. Either way, p26, I believe.

Or p52 of Complete Champion. Not as big, but still nifty.

But, no, I am not joking.
    Yep, Uncanny Forethought for your Int mod's worth of spontaneous casting per day and Spontaneous Divination for never having to prepare a divination spell again.

The only problem with UF is that you need to take Spell Mastery to qualify for it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

backgroound the the only books most our campains use are PH, DMG, MM, expanded psionics handbook, and tome of battle
    home rule all casters may use their casting stat for spellcraft
    "winging it" has dose have other uses
    a spellcraft check of (spell level*3+18) or three spell slots will bring it down to a standerd action
    as a one spell slot full round action you may add any metamagic feat to a spell you know with a check of(12+total spell level*3+MMlevel)example silent magic missle will take a 2 level slot with a spellcraft DC of
    (12+3*2+1*2)=20 +18 tobring to standerd action -18 if you have the metamagic feat used
    failing the check -1 caster level take 1 non lethal
    failing the check by more than 2 -1 caster level take 1 non lethal
    failing the check by more than 4 -1 caster level take 1 non lethal
    more then 6 spell fails
    more then 10 it blows up in your face take 1d6 per spell level nonLethal damage
    more then 20 take 2d6 per spell level Lethal damage
    roling a one dose not auto fail
    I forgot how long this was outside of group short hand

24. - Top - End - #54

NecromancerGirl

And Contact Other Plane laughs at this whole "preparing" thing.
    I want to understand how this technique is actually used in practice, but don't. How often would you cast it? How many times on each occasion? What questions would you ask? I can definitely see "if I go to the castle down the valley, will I encounter undead?" and the like, but how would I use the spell to be prepared for things like a rival suddenly attacking using an unexpected strategy, or for my allies falling into some strange peril?
    Last edited by Analytica; 2011-11-19 at 09:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    I want to understand how this technique is actually used in practice, but don't. How often would you cast it? How many times on each occasion? What questions would you ask? I can definitely see "if I go to the castle down the valley, will I encounter undead?" and the like, but how would I use the spell to be prepared for things like a rival suddenly attacking using an unexpected strategy, or for my allies falling into some strange peril?
    At the end of the day you blow most of your excess spell slots on it with Spontaneous Divination.

Things like "Is anyone planning to assassinate me?"
    "Will I run into any monsters with Immunity to Fire tomorrow?"
    "Will I see any creature not native to the material plane tomorrow?"
    "Will I enter into a conflict with any undead tomorrow?"
    "Has anyone attempted to use divination magic against me today?"
    "Does anyone who I consider to be my enemy and believe to be dead, still live?"

When you get Yes answers you refine your questions until you get the specifics. Four or so castings per day should cover the wrong answers (if something conflicts cast it a few more times).
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by manamyst View Post
    backgroound the the only books most our campains use are PH, DMG, MM, expanded psionics handbook, and tome of battle
    home rule all casters may use their casting stat for spellcraft
    "winging it" has dose have other uses
    a spellcraft check of (spell level*3+18) or three spell slots will bring it down to a standerd action
    as a one spell slot full round action you may add any metamagic feat to a spell you know with a check of(12+total spell level*3+MMlevel)example silent magic missle will take a 2 level slot with a spellcraft DC of
    (12+3*2+1*2)=20 +18 tobring to standerd action -18 if you have the metamagic feat used
    failing the check -1 caster level take 1 non lethal
    failing the check by more than 2 -1 caster level take 1 non lethal
    failing the check by more than 4 -1 caster level take 1 non lethal
    more then 6 spell fails
    more then 10 it blows up in your face take 1d6 per spell level nonLethal damage
    more then 20 take 2d6 per spell level Lethal damage
    roling a one dose not auto fail
    I forgot how long this was outside of group short hand
    OK - but what happens when my Sorceror takes 4th level, do I get to know a 2nd level spell ?
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    At the end of the day you blow most of your excess spell slots on it with Spontaneous Divination.

Things like "Is anyone planning to assassinate me?"
    "Will I run into any monsters with Immunity to Fire tomorrow?"
    "Will I see any creature not native to the material plane tomorrow?"
    "Will I enter into a conflict with any undead tomorrow?"
    "Has anyone attempted to use divination magic against me today?"
    "Does anyone who I consider to be my enemy and believe to be dead, still live?"

When you get Yes answers you refine your questions until you get the specifics. Four or so castings per day should cover the wrong answers (if something conflicts cast it a few more times).
    Unless you run on a railroad; how is a DM meant to answer Questions
    2-4 ? As a DM I would feel obliged to answer Unknown to all of these.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

This thread needs more metaphors.

Sorcerors are like cake, wizard are like pie. Pie is clearly superior, but some people just like cake.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Unless your game is entirely random where the DM always rolls on random encounter tables or looks through all the level- appropriate enemies and picks some at random; how is a DM meant to answer Questions
    2-4 ? As a DM I would feel obliged to answer Unknown to all of these.
    FTFY.

And for the record, the DM can roll on the tables in advance.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    FTFY.

And for the record, the DM can roll on the tables in advance.
    Yeah, just roll the next day's encounters when the divination spell is cast.

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Apprentice (Spellcaster) says hi. Every Sorcerer should take this feat. An extra spell known, the ability to swap a spell at every level, UMD as an in class skill (it always should have been), and an extra Knowledge skill in case you need it for a PrC.
    What feat is this? All I find on D&D Toolshop is Precocious Apprentice.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2011-11-19 at 10:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew