New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Legend Of Korra: Will It Bend!

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    i find it more likely whoever married her had to accept her name just because she's the dominant person in any relationship she'll put up with.
    Or more likely, they are using the japanese naming convention that whomever owns the dojo keeps the surname. At least, that's the reason I was given as to why Ranma Saotome would eventually change to Ranma Tendo once he married Akane.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    You can download the first two episodes from Itunes, in HD, for free.

You should do so, as the quality of the download is fantastic.
    I think that offer is past. My wife looked on I-tunes before I asked and couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    This, however, works nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I can think of several reasons why they would keep the Beifong name.

1: Toph, being the dominant personality, wouldn't give up her Surname.

2: When your resume includes "Invented Metalbending" and "Saved the World", you get to keep your own name.
    3: When your wife or mother's resume includes "Invented Metalbending" and "Saved the World", you want to be associated with them.
    4: The Beifongs, as one of the wealthiest families in the Earth Kingdom, have very high social status, so their name overrides whatever Commoner (By comparison to the Beifongs, just about everybody is a commoner) Toph ends up marrying (If, as is pointed out, she gets married at all.)
    5: The Beifongs are the only family in the world with a last name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

You can download the first two episodes from Itunes, in HD, for free.

You should do so, as the quality of the download is fantastic.
    I think that offer is past. My wife looked on I-tunes before I asked and couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    This, however, works nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I can think of several reasons why they would keep the Beifong name.

1: Toph, being the dominant personality, wouldn't give up her Surname.

2: When your resume includes "Invented Metalbending" and "Saved the World", you get to keep your own name.
    3: When your wife or mother's resume includes "Invented Metalbending" and "Saved the World", you want to be associated with them.
    4: The Beifongs, as one of the wealthiest families in the Earth Kingdom, have very high social status, so their name overrides whatever Commoner (By comparison to the Beifongs, just about everybody is a commoner) Toph ends up marrying (If, as is pointed out, she gets married at all.)
    5: The Beifongs are the only family in the world with a last name.
    There's also:

6: Toph married someone with the same last name, either a cousin of some degree or simply had the same name but wasn't from THE Beifongs.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    This one and while Grey_Wolf_c is correct that the person with the lower social status will be marrying into the Beifong family, it's Chinese, rather than Japanese convention here.

For all we know, the Beifongs could be nobility, thus their name and title follow the same rules as landed gentry titles.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know. I like the idea that Toph was a single mom. I have this mental image of a stuttering fellow who she shoves into the closet when she decides it's motherhood time. Or she's bored.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Do you think anyone ever found Xin Fu and Master Yu after Toph Metalbent them into her cage? Or did they die, trapped and standing in a puddle of Yu's urine (since he needed to go when he trapped them)?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-04-19 at 06:11 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Do you think anyone ever found Xin Fu and Master Yu after Toph Metalbent them into her cage? Or did they die, trapped and standing in a puddle of Yu's urine (since he needed to go when he trapped them)?
    They were on a road that lead to and from the most populous city in the Earth Kingdom, if not the world (at the time anyway, though I'm not entirely sure that Republic City beats it out). I'm thinking a two or three day maximum that they were stuck.

Besides, humans are capable of some incredible things when their lives are in danger (see: Guy who hacked off his own arm because it was stuck behind a rock and he wouldn't be able to move) so I like to think they just forced their way out eventually.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I don't know. I like the idea that Toph was a single mom. I have this mental image of a stuttering fellow who she shoves into the closet when she decides it's motherhood time. Or she's bored.
    Oh Toph was most certainly the dominant partner, no doubt, just that I suspect in Earth Kingdom culture (if it's anything like Chinese), there's a lot of pressure to do things properly, or at least seen to be done properly.

Note that this does not preclude Toph shoving her husband into a closet when she's decided she's bored/wants a child.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Oh Toph was most certainly the dominant partner, no doubt, just that I suspect in Earth Kingdom culture (if it's anything like Chinese), there's a lot of pressure to do things properly, or at least seen to be done properly.
    I do believe we all know what Toph thinks of "doing things properly" when she doesn't feel like it, no?

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I do believe we all know what Toph thinks of "doing things properly" when she doesn't feel like it, no?

Zevox
    To be fair though, Toph very clearly knows how to do things properly. She doesn't care in 99% of circumstances (and only put her knowledge to use in the show when they needed a disguise to sneak into the palace), but I could see for a wedding or ceremonies for her own children being willing to go through some of the proper customs for the sake of her parents and family. She's not totally unreasonable about such things.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-04-19 at 10:33 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    To be fair though, Toph very clearly knows how to do things properly. She doesn't care in 99% of circumstances (and only put her knowledge to use in the show when they needed a disguise to sneak into the palace), but I could see for a wedding or ceremonies for her own children being willing to go through some of the proper customs for the sake of her parents and family. She's not totally unreasonable about such things.
    Participate in ceremonies, sure, I could see that. Change her name? I could easily see her just flat-out refusing to do that.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

I am looking forward to the no doubt imminent trolling about who Toph's husband actually is.

It's no doubt someone wholly inconsequential, but I can't imagine that they won't troll shippers over that.

Also, we had better meet some of Sokka's children before the end of S1. We've already seen Katara, Aang's, and Toph's; Sokka better not get gypped.

RE: trapping the guys in the cage; it's a well traveled road, somebody would have freed them.

That said, Team Avatar certainly does kill its fair share of people.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-19 at 11:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

I am looking forward to the no doubt imminent trolling about who Toph's husband actually is.

It's no doubt someone wholly inconsequential, but I can't imagine that they won't troll shippers over that.

Also, we had better meet some of Sokka's children before the end of S1. We've already seen Katara, Aang's, and Toph's; Sokka better not get gypped.

RE: trapping the guys in the cage; it's a well traveled road, somebody would have freed them.

That said, Team Avatar certainly does kill its fair share of people.
    On the note of this, does anyone else feel like they are looking at a female Sokka when looking at Korra? (Or atleast a number of Sokka's traits.)
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    On the note of this, does anyone else feel like they are looking at a female Sokka when looking at Korra? (Or atleast a number of Sokka's traits.)
    Actually Tenzin reminds me the most of Sokka so far, beard and all.

And I've never really seen the argument for Team Avatar killing people. Fire nation soldiers can swim after all.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

She's pretty much how Sokka would be if he was the Avatar and naturally hypercompetent instead of having to struggle and work for every moment of usefulness. Which also accounts for why she doesn't really share his cleverness and ability to plan, I guess.

That said, I can see the resemblance of Tenzin to "Sokka when he's trying to be serious" too. The wet-blanket genes are clearly all from his mother's side, and not just for the sake of the stupid pun either.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-04-19 at 01:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    She's pretty much how Sokka would be if he was the Avatar and naturally hypercompetent instead of having to struggle and work for every moment of usefulness. Which also accounts for why she doesn't really share his cleverness and ability to plan, I guess.

That said, I can see the resemblance of Tenzin to "Sokka when he's trying to be serious" too. The wet-blanket genes are clearly all from his mother's side, and not just for the sake of the stupid pun either.

That and his quick temper are what instantly pegged him as old man Sokka to me. There's a bit of Aang too, and oddly very little of Katara.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post

And I've never really seen the argument for Team Avatar killing people. Fire nation soldiers can swim after all.
    Yeah, but can they fly? Katara and Aang both puncture war balloons at multiple points, and I distinctly remember Katara knocking enemies off of a cliff or wall.

There's also the matter that while yes, Fire Nation warriors can swim, it's not so easy to swim to safety when you're in freezing ocean water, you have heavy metal armor on, and there's no land for quite some distance.

That's to say nothing of Koizilla Aang chopping battleships in half or swamping them with tidal waves, either.

There's also precedent for members of Team Avatar fighting to kill; Katara does so against Azula in S2, and Sokka does so to Sparky Sparky Boom Man.

Please note that this is not something I wish the show would address, as I like that Avatar is not grimdark. I just find it interesting.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-19 at 02:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

There's also the matter that while yes, Fire Nation warriors can swim, it's not so easy to swim to safety when you're in freezing ocean water, you have heavy metal armor on, and there's no land for quite some distance.
    I'd have to check, but IIRC they were very close to land. The fight that follows is where Sokka looses his sword, and that was over land. Those super-zeps are also shown to be extremely slow, so they wouldn't have gone far in the time in between.

That's to say nothing of Koizilla Aang chopping battleships in half or swamping them with tidal waves, either.
    That wasn't Aang, that was the avatar state combined with the spirit of the sea. We know that the Avatar as a whole can be bloodthirsty - indeed, the previous air Avatar was quite willing to kill.

The other killing actions by the rest of the team I'll grant you: Sokka and Katara certainly aren't as pacifist as Aang. Not so sure about Aang dropping the normal zeps, though - he merely punctures them, they might have had enough air for a semi-controlled fall similar to that of the Boiling Rock (compared to Katara's sliced-the-bag-in-half move).

A better example was mentioned earlier: the tanks that he dislodges during the Air Temple attack would not have been in any way designed to drop, unlike aerial vehicles which could have had something off-screen. I suspect, though, that if shown, they would all hit conveniently deep snow drifts.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The Show is generally pretty good about using the magic of Offscreen to avoid getting it's protagonists hand's bloody. Mooks tend to drop after a good airblast or water whip and just kind of not get up, Sokka manages to never get blood on his machete, Toph hits people with enough force to send them flying, ect.
    Heck, the most aggressive global power uses living flamethrowers as frontline troops, yet Zuko is the only person in the world who looks like he's ever been burned. People hit with Fireblasts just kind of get knocked back, Arrows are used to pin people's clothing, you've got Zuko running around with swords that he never uses to cut people, Mai throwing knives that never stab people,ect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

I do find it simultaneously hilarious and scary that Mai is that good that she can incapacitate people with throwing knives without actually killing them.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-19 at 04:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

I think I remember when in the north pole while in the avatar states, Aang killed Admiral Jaoh Zaoh How? grrr... "Mr. I want to kill the moon because my ego is three times the size of a fire land's super blimp." (Didn't know how to spell his name. To lazy to look it up.)

Admittedly, Zuko tried to save him, but his own pride got in the way and he prefered to be dragged to the bottom of the ocean from the Aang/Ocean spirit monster that was saving the day.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I remember when in the north pole while in the avatar states, Aang killed Admiral Jaoh Zaoh How? grrr... "Mr. I want to kill the moon because my ego is three times the size of a fire land's super blimp." (Didn't know how to spell his name. To lazy to look it up.)
    The Ocean Spirit had already released Aang before going after Zhao.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I think Firebending fire, because this is a kid's show, is like D&D fireball - lots of BOOM to knock people around and do vague damage, not a lot of actual burning.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

It is important to keep in mind that Aang is still responsible for all of the Fire Nation deaths that occur at the hand of Koizilla. He might not be in direct control, but he knowingly unleashed the Avatar; their blood is on his hands.

This doesn't translate directly to killing them, of course, but it's still something which should be noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I think Firebending fire, because this is a kid's show, is like D&D fireball - lots of BOOM to knock people around and do vague damage, not a lot of actual burning.
    It really varies; for example, Zuko burns Toph's feet on contact with his fire, and Aang burns Katara.

People are very rarely actually hit by Firebending fire, remember; Team Avatar and other benders usually deflect it or jump out of the way. When people get taken down by firebenders, it's often due to fire blasts on the armor or, as is the case in the end of S2, the explosions from intercepting fireblasts stunning the defending bender.
    Last edited by LordVader; 2012-04-19 at 04:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

It is important to keep in mind that Aang is still responsible for all of the Fire Nation deaths that occur at the hand of Koizilla. He might not be in direct control, but he knowingly unleashed the Avatar; their blood is on his hands.

This doesn't translate directly to killing them, of course, but it's still something which should be noted.
    And he is extremely upset about this at the start of S2 (and I think he brings it up to the guru as well).
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    That's not Sokka you're thinking of. That's WANG FIRE.

Zhao. So you were close.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

I disagree. Aang is but the current embodiment of the spirit of the Avatar. Blaming Aang for the Avatar's and Ocean Spirit's work is not ethically correct. You might as well blame Zhao, who caused the Ocean Spirit to get angry. Or Firelord Ozai, for allowing all those mooks to go to the North Pole. Aang was involved in the chain of events, but he was not the one making the decisions. Had he been in control, he'd have probably acted differently: ice-locking the ships, for example, rather than outright sinking them. He was far less aware of the consequences than Zhao was when he killed the Moon Spirit, and I don't see how anyone's blood can be placed on his hands in that scene.

Grey Wolf

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Part of the issue with firebending is that we only see it getting used against relatively skilled and powerful people. When Zuko and Zhao used it indiscriminately such as on Kiyoshi island or against Zhao's own ships, it caused large conflagrations and was extremely damaging. However, benders are clearly able to deflect or absorb other elements and even non-benders of adequate skill seem to be very good at some combination of weapon blocks and dodges that prevent the bulk of any damage caused.

Of course, part of this is just that kid's TV isn't allowed to be as graphic as it might otherwise like to be, and I suspect that showing Aang get shot by lighting was about as edgy as they were allowed to get.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-04-19 at 04:48 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)